Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 18.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pissing down outside and yes, we are back to Level 3. To all those moaning and bitching about it and calling the PM childish names, get a grip, we are the luckiest people in the world right

They towed out around 11am and the breeze was light and puffy to start with. Foiled down the Channel and headed out to the Bays. The breeze started to build around midday and they got some long runs i

Yes, quite light but I didn't see all the afternoon's sailing, can only comment on later in the day, when Britannia 2 was running a #1 jib and foiling around no problem. They look quite quick at times

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Do you believe the Sail GP numbers as well? 

No, but then again I don't believe they're reinventing/ redefining or revolutionizing sailing either, because well, they're simply not, and that is pretty obvious.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Those viewing figures are by adding all the audiences for each race together. We've seen that track together. The 60m figure is more realistic. Still a big improvement over before but a fraction of what truly big sports get

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

No, but then again I don't believe they're reinventing/ redefining or revolutionizing sailing either, because well, they're simply not, and that is pretty obvious.

Cute. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

No, but then again I don't believe they're reinventing/ redefining or revolutionizing sailing either, because well, they're simply not, and that is pretty obvious.

I believe this number because it supports my position, I don’t believe this other number because it doesn’t. 
 

haha! You really don’t help yourself. 
 

try this number 0. It’s the number of race wins Pete managed on his F50 debut. Let me guess, you don’t believe that number either when we all saw it? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Not quite, SB.

"A NZ Herald Kantar nationwide poll found 43 per cent believed the $99m offer was sufficient with 25 per cent saying the Government and the council should not have offered any funding to Emirates Team New Zealand.

Just 11 per cent of respondents said the Government and council should have offered Team New Zealand whatever it wanted, and just over one in five (21 per cent) were unsure about how much public funding should go to holding the next event in the City of Sails."

Thanks SBD, I had to reinstall paywall-bypass to finally read the article which I should have done in the first place!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

These are not personal 'brick bats' but FACTS!

They are reported facts. Every report since the beginning of time has found bread-and-circuses events to be a fine investment with high positive ROI. They would say that, wouldn't they? On the whole, management consultancy reports don't go back to the body that commissioned them saying "Idiots, you pissed taxpayer money up against the wall". Not the way to go for recurring business.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Sorry buddy, but in many countries you could watch the livestream for free. I watched it using my VPN in English (FOR FREE) while my wife watched it - with an excellent Chinese commentary -  on one of the many FREE feeds here in China.

 

Ditto for Italy

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

I believe this number because it supports my position, I don’t believe this other number because it doesn’t. 
 

haha! You really don’t help yourself. 
 

try this number 0. It’s the number of race wins Pete managed on his F50 debut. Let me guess, you don’t believe that number either when we all saw it? 

The ENTIRE premise of SailGP is fake. From "reimagining sailing, redefining and revolutionising sailing" to "National teams" and "Country v country" its fake from one end to the other, from the start till now, so why anyone would believe what they say is just ridiculous.

So No, my narrative has nothing to do with it. I don't believe anything that comes out of Sailgp because the entire series is fake.

Try this. 2. Its the number of times Pete managed to win the AC. 2.

Try this. 4. Its the number of times NZ has won the Americas Cup.

1. The number of times Larrys team were caught cheating, and the number of times they were forced to hand back trophies.

How has SailGP reimagined sailing? It hasn't.

How has SailGP redefined sailing? It hasn't.

How has SailGP revolutionised sailing? It hasn't.

Where are the National teams? There aren't any.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2021 at 6:09 PM, enigmatically2 said:

"aim to be the first team to win three cups in a row"

That is 4U standards of history re-writing

according to my maths they are about 8% of the way to eclipsing that one,

image.png.8875ea27b4174cb277444f02641a0a16.png

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Not quite, SB.

"A NZ Herald Kantar nationwide poll found 43 per cent believed the $99m offer was sufficient with 25 per cent saying the Government and the council should not have offered any funding to Emirates Team New Zealand.

Just 11 per cent of respondents said the Government and council should have offered Team New Zealand whatever it wanted, and just over one in five (21 per cent) were unsure about how much public funding should go to holding the next event in the City of Sails."

Thanks. That’s slightly more meaningful than the original post ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2021 at 10:56 AM, Sailbydate said:

Some of you cunts need a dose of reality. Emirates Airlines just made its first loss in 30 years - US$6 billion from the COVID-19 hit.

What are they? A fucking charity?

Emirates airlines is owned by the government of Dubai.  So no it is not a fucking charity, but an airborne fucking ponzi scheme.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dogwatch said:

They are reported facts. Every report since the beginning of time has found bread-and-circuses events to be a fine investment with high positive ROI. They would say that, wouldn't they? On the whole, management consultancy reports don't go back to the body that commissioned them saying "Idiots, you pissed taxpayer money up against the wall". Not the way to go for recurring business.

 

There is a difference between reported facts and a government report - I would at least hope.

So a New Zealand government report on the returns or job creation are not facts? Whatever. No point in arguing with such a clouded view.

Mark you with dear Boris as our Prime Minister I can understand your cynicism. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shebeen said:

according to my maths they are about 8% of the way to eclipsing that one,

image.png.8875ea27b4174cb277444f02641a0a16.png

Absolutely.  That was the mystique. The US seemed unbeatable.

But it was a different era. Since the cup was "lifted"   . San Diego Yacht Club 3 peated but only if you include the totally unrealistic DOG match with a cat vs monohull. So really nobody has 3 peated under a common measurement rule since 1980.......41 years ago!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shanghaisailor said:

There is a difference between reported facts and a government report - I would at least hope.

So a New Zealand government report on the returns or job creation are not facts? Whatever. No point in arguing with such a clouded view.

Mark you with dear Boris as our Prime Minister I can understand your cynicism. 

I am not a cynic. I'm a sceptic. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

“Reached” lol.  Nice metric. How many actually watched? “Derp”

Yep, 'Reach' is pretty meaningless. It's actual views that count although reach helps with views.

This could well be reasonably accurate, although it's hard to know how they measure a 'view' (did it last more than 20 secs?)- from America's Cup: The staggering TV and social media numbers from Auckland 2021 | Stuff.co.nz

At 68.2m, the dedicated TV audience for Auckland was more than three times that of the 35th America’s Cup in Bermuda (20.5m). The dedicated audience includes all those who watched the event live, delayed or highlights on TV, at americascup.com, YouTube and Facebook.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

27 minutes ago, Xlot said:

Comments on America’s Cup Media press release claiming AC36 was the most viewed ever?

 

Some comments are already here, just scroll upwards. 

I know, that other site is not loved too much on SA, but there were two good Editor's notes in today's newsletter:

Re. the numbers:

Editor's note: Like most data, it can mean whatever you want it to mean, so we couldn't bring ourselves to use the report's headline, '36th America's Cup Is The Most Viewed Ever'. We are not sure what "viewed" means, but it feels misleading, plus we remain bitter for having been possibly the only country where viewing meant having to pay a fee. 

Re. the event as such:

Editor's note: Through the history of the America's Cup, it has not always fostered great competition, but the difference now is how it is being presented. The current event is intended to be entertainment, and that runs the risk of us not being entertained. Whereas before we accepted the event to be what it was, a sailing competition, now it has to live up to heightened expectations which can backfire. Our advice… under promise and pray that you over deliver.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

There is a difference between reported facts and a government report - I would at least hope.

So a New Zealand government report on the returns or job creation are not facts? Whatever. No point in arguing with such a clouded view.

Mark you with dear Boris as our Prime Minister I can understand your cynicism. 

"An in-depth broadcast and media analysis undertaken by Nielsen". Not quite sure where the government report comes in. And the Uighurs are just at summer camp.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Xlot said:

Thanks. That’s slightly more meaningful than the original post ;)

I wasn't interested at all in what 1,000 random Kiwis had to say in answer to a bunch of leading, self-serving questions. ;-)

My interest was that our elected officials tried to use it to justify yet another failure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

I wasn't interested at all in what 1,000 random Kiwis had to say in answer to a bunch of leading, self-serving questions. ;-)

My interest was that our elected officials tried to use it to justify yet another failure. 

Of course, why should we give a toss what the proles think.

As for our elected officials, who do they think they are, they should have just handed over a blank cheque and washed their hands of the whole thing.

Marie Antoinette would be oh so proud of you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pusslicker said:

"An in-depth broadcast and media analysis undertaken by Nielsen". Not quite sure where the government report comes in. And the Uighurs are just at summer camp.

What are you on? Be a pal and pass the bong.

Obviously have an innate inability to read up thread. To avoid anyone else's ability to follow the thread jumps and quotes I have copied the link to the report that I originally referred to yesterday for the benefits of those who do not know how to search on Bing or Google.

https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/regatta-delivers-half-billion-dollars-economy

Link to post
Share on other sites

there will be those naysayers who say the attached is flawed (many of them also perhaps believe Trump won the election)

In the modern electronic world it is fairly easy to monitor these sorts of figures and would be easy to disprove so why lie.

They also do not include countries where the feed was distributed through non youtube or America's Cup feeds. China for example at times had 200k viewers on the up to 9 internet feeds with Chinese commentary.

No further comment other than the figures speak for themselves.

One further point is that there are those who would doubt the bottom line media value but I understand that standard algorithms in the media world were used for this figure. 

IMG_5216.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

 

I like this version. Produced in China for Chinese AC fans but then again, I am biased. No - I had nothing to do with the production.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

there will be those naysayers who say the attached is flawed (many of them also perhaps believe Trump won the election)

In the modern electronic world it is fairly easy to monitor these sorts of figures and would be easy to disprove so why lie.

They also do not include countries where the feed was distributed through non youtube or America's Cup feeds. China for example at times had 200k viewers on the up to 9 internet feeds with Chinese commentary.

No further comment other than the figures speak for themselves.

One further point is that there are those who would doubt the bottom line media value but I understand that standard algorithms in the media world were used for this figure. 

IMG_5216.JPG

 

I find the increased global audience figures hard to believe without the actual numbers. anyone can make an infographic look sexy - looking at live figures specifically:

i live in africa, GMT +2, same as Italy, the racing was at 5am. so 3am for UK. only hardcore european sailing fans are getting up to watch that, and that is a huge part of the market.

the US time was about 9/11pm West/East coast, but pretty sure the viewership dropped once AM was gone.

NZ is tiny, and (Aus don't really like to see them achieving either) so unless there was a massive viewing in the far east (they did have a china sticker on the black boat) I highly doubt the live view was larger than Bermuda.

.....

the delayed feed, youtube/facebook/social media contact does not mean as much to the people in the know. it's a sporting event and the eyes on it whilst it's happening is the biggest metric. 8m unique youtube is probably larger than bermuda, but still a long way down in the sporting world.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

there will be those naysayers who say the attached is flawed (many of them also perhaps believe Trump won the election)

In the modern electronic world it is fairly easy to monitor these sorts of figures and would be easy to disprove so why lie.

They also do not include countries where the feed was distributed through non youtube or America's Cup feeds. China for example at times had 200k viewers on the up to 9 internet feeds with Chinese commentary.

No further comment other than the figures speak for themselves.

One further point is that there are those who would doubt the bottom line media value but I understand that standard algorithms in the media world were used for this figure. 

IMG_5216.JPG

If you believe these numbers, you certainly also think that one should believe the F1 or Sail GP numbers, I assume. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

If you believe these numbers, you certainly also think that one should believe the F1 or Sail GP numbers, I assume. 

You know what they say. When you assume you make an ass out of you and me.

Just quoting the figures, it is up to the individual whether they trust them or not. All I would say is that some sources are more reliable than others.

I do know there were a lot of people here in China were watching it, I was getting pinged on my Wechat by Chinese friends the whole time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shebeen said:

 

I find the increased global audience figures hard to believe without the actual numbers. anyone can make an infographic look sexy - looking at live figures specifically:

i live in africa, GMT +2, same as Italy, the racing was at 5am. so 3am for UK. only hardcore european sailing fans are getting up to watch that, and that is a huge part of the market.

the US time was about 9/11pm West/East coast, but pretty sure the viewership dropped once AM was gone.

NZ is tiny, and (Aus don't really like to see them achieving either) so unless there was a massive viewing in the far east (they did have a china sticker on the black boat) I highly doubt the live view was larger than Bermuda.

.....

the delayed feed, youtube/facebook/social media contact does not mean as much to the people in the know. it's a sporting event and the eyes on it whilst it's happening is the biggest metric. 8m unique youtube is probably larger than bermuda, but still a long way down in the sporting world.

 

I would also be skeptical.  TNZ is in full marketing mode to sell the event to hosts and sponsors.

However, I would caution against solely focusing on the live feed and live viewing numbers.   Replays and highlights are extremely valuable to brands because you can do more advertising and/or brand highlighting during a replay.

My gut was that Bermuda got more attention in the US than the NZ event so I was surprised ro see the reverse.....but the streaming may have improved.

I still think the AC is a tough platform for brand building. What does it stand for?

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

You know what they say. When you assume you make an ass out of you and me.

Just quoting the figures, it is up to the individual whether they trust them or not. All I would say is that some sources are more reliable than others.

I do know there were a lot of people here in China were watching it, I was getting pinged on my Wechat by Chinese friends the whole time.

??? Who says what? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok as Shanghai points out, in the new covidland, pro sailing is basically a license to print money. Hopefully we will all get friends and family shares when SGP does its IPO and Dalton Perpetual Team does likewise. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Ok as Shanghai points out, in the new covidland, pro sailing is basically a license to print money. Hopefully we will all get friends and family shares when SGP does its IPO and Dalton Perpetual Team does likewise. 

Did I say that?? Fuck, I hate it when people put words into my mouth I didn't actually speak. From the evidence I see , and actually experience it is currently harder to get sponsorship money. You know, the knockbacks and corporate marketing budget cutbacks that is the current reality and which is quite the opposite of being able to print money

Shares? You'd have to be either a  friend or family to qualify, I don't think I qualify for either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

See how quickly people believe there IS a forthcoming IPO?  

I have set up a Venmo account.  Send me your money and I will include you in my IPO allotment.  I told Larry how to cure corral cuts without having the butler piss on him and we are all good now.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

You know what they say. When you assume you make an ass out of you and me.

Just quoting the figures, it is up to the individual whether they trust them or not. All I would say is that some sources are more reliable than others.

I do know there were a lot of people here in China were watching it, I was getting pinged on my Wechat by Chinese friends the whole time.

Some of my Uighur mates were pinging me like crazy talking about how much they were loving this Cup. They were definitely a captive audience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

Some of my Uighur mates were pinging me like crazy talking about how much they were loving this Cup. They were definitely a captive audience.

I'm surprised you have any mates.

I see you are in Paris, funny that. I was in Kunming (promoting sailing) at almost the exact time (same time, same place to within 24 hours) a bunch of Uighurs got off a train and ran down the street with samurai swords slashing and killing anyone who got in the way. When terrorism gets that close to you it does tend to colour your views. Some of the extreme rhetoric on Facebook stirring things u[ was traced to a Paris IP address leading to the banning of Facebook in China. Mmm I wonder!

Anyway goodbye, I have no desire to read your twisted posts any more.

Have fun 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Perhaps those numbers will now force the government to revise its “best offer”.

You think the government doesn't know the numbers are cooked? This weakens GD's position if anything. What do these numbers mean anyway to the government? What is their return on investment in a non-covid cup? We've all been to Cups and they are nothing like the Olympics or World Cup or any other event you compare them to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

You think the government doesn't know the numbers are cooked? This weakens GD's position if anything. What do these numbers mean anyway to the government? What is their return on investment in a non-covid cup? We've all been to Cups and they are nothing like the Olympics or World Cup or any other event you compare them to.

Doesn’t matter. They’re out there now - officially. What do they mean? They mean NZ as a country has been advertised to 940 million people. That’s more than the rugby World Cup, and more than the Super Bowl. That means 940 million pairs of eye balls all watching NZ. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Uh, we know NZ exists. Question is, will it be opened up by the time of the next Cup? Australia doesn't look to be in any hurry. If it's not opened up, some of the advertised allure may fade in memory. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Uh, we know NZ exists. Question is, will it be opened up by the time of the next Cup? Australia doesn't look to be in any hurry. If it's not opened up, some of the advertised allure may fade in memory. 

Its not overseas travellers they’re looking to attract, we’ll not yet anyway, it’s business, it’s trade, it’s the clean green NZ image that accompanies NZ exports overseas that the Government sees return on investment in. Kiwifruit, NZ lamb, NZ Dairy, even Timber, all large market exports for NZ into places like China, the EU and the US. Even the Movie industry has bought into NZ as a filming location. They buy NZ products simply because they’re guaranteed quality because of the NZ brand, the Image, the clean green NZ image projected around the world by events like the America’s Cup. The more eyes on the NZ brand, the more business it generates, the higher the return on investment. 
Once the borders open, the tourism industry will also capitalise on the exposure the AC provides for NZ as a tourist destination.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't know what happens behind the supposed "negotiations" but what if GD already knows the venue without telling Ratcliffe ? he could begin to adapt their boat to the venue in advance.

Conspiracy theories ?.......It's the AC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

 he could begin to adapt their boat to the venue in advance

What adding wheels to the foils allowing them to sail over the sandbanks...........don't Dick Carter do something like this 6o years ago.:rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Conspiracy theories ?.......It's the Asocial-Cat.

As usual Asocial-Cat got it completely wrong!

The deal between Sir Grant and Sir James was done long ago in Monaco, where they are close neighbors.

The whole venue game is a developer's veil to buy up as much as they can around the Beaulieu River, so that they can watch the next DOG-Match from their lawns, together with their B$ friends.

Ratty already owns a nice property along the river.

23306146-0-image-a-10_1578850204929.thumb.jpg.e14335cd85c5cec5b70cd67ce40d2088.jpg

That, and several thousand of acres nearby at Fawley.

And Grunter is known to be swapping his Lymington mansion for the picturesque Gins Farm, right next to the posh Southampton Yacht Club.

1069599530_eoceanic_gins_farm_beaulieu_river_hampshire_england_GinsFarm(10).thumb.jpg.e27cea8e358becabd34f790d31cebb54.jpg

Plenty of room to accommodate all 12 teams along this "beau lieu", and the racing will be just outside the entrance, off the Royal Yacht Squadron Cows' Green.

Americas-Cup-Hall-of-Fame_RYS-1024x682.thumb.jpg.9b85724a394f738f650a0c964c6281e3.jpg

And you know, pictures or it isn't true.

P.S. All information herein is confidential and not entirely the authors responsibility and fiction.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

We don't know what happens behind the supposed "negotiations" but what if GD already knows the venue without telling Ratcliffe ? he could begin to adapt their boat to the venue in advance.

Conspiracy theories ?.......It's the AC.

Then Ratcliffe is stupid, and I don't think Ratcliffe is stupid. If RNZYS/TNZ is being coy or somehow not sharing information reasonably with RYS Ltd/INEOS, all Jim has to do is say "fuck it, let's have a DoG match" and RNZYS/TNZ are toast.  They've already showed their hand that they are financially strapped. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SloopJohnB said:

What adding wheels to the foils allowing them to sail over the sandbanks...........don't Dick Carter do something like this 6o years ago.:rolleyes:

Kind of, Red Rooster and Noryema, I read it all here, in SA.

 

On 4/9/2011 at 8:36 PM, moody frog said:

Noryema VII (or VCX)

 

Was a wonderful cruising boat in the Med for two super joint-owners, secluded low depth anchorages ... if a bit "oily"

 

Now fully rebuilt in Sweden and gracing baltic waters.

 

 

 

No slouch eh !

 

Ballasted foils is just a more recent development of those very old concepts.

1509859837_images(3).jpeg.3ebad1b0ecffdf7434d4f2ba9f54bed6.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, porthos said:

Then Ratcliffe is stupid, and I don't think Ratcliffe is stupid. If RNZYS/TNZ is being coy or somehow not sharing information reasonably with RYS Ltd/INEOS, all Jim has to do is say "fuck it, let's have a DoG match" and RNZYS/TNZ are toast.  They've already showed their hand that they are financially strapped. 

Yes, Ratcliffe is smart, yes a DoG match is a possibility,  by I doubt it's his preference, we don't know what is discussed behind closed doors. They could also both know the venue while others possible challengers don't.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Kind of, Red Rooster and Noryema, I read it all here, in SA.

 

 

Ballasted foils is just a more recent development of those very old concepts.

1509859837_images(3).jpeg.3ebad1b0ecffdf7434d4f2ba9f54bed6.jpeg

 Oh yes that's older than us  .......                                                                                                                                          14th century celtic boat (replica)

Brioc.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Yes, Ratcliffe is smart, yes a DoG match is a possibility,  by I doubt it's his preference, we don't know what is discussed behind closed doors. They could also both know the venue while others possible challengers don't.

They could, but thats the way the AC works. Its not fair. The Defender has an advantage. Its extremely hard to win, and thats why its such an achievement when you win. 

As Peter Blake said "The biggest thrill is to be able to say we did it, when a lot of people would've said you're never gonna do it, its just impossible. Bullshit, its not impossible at all. You can make any dream happen if you work at it enough"

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The best way forward for Team whatevertheycallthemselvesnowadays to remain a force in their own right is to align with a powerful brand that has some resonance with their support base, and which welcomes outsiders who are attracted to the 'underdog punches above its weight' tag.

Sounds a whole lot like NZ Inc doesn't it?  And all we want in return is a boat race held in our own back yard.  In return everyone gets  free rent and TWTCTN can demonstrate to the billionaires-in-waiting that they have a LOYAL following like the Man U's, Barcelona's and Werder Bremen's that people on this site have been trying to compare 'their' team to.

ETNZ is not and will never be on a par with sporting behemoths like these.

Oh that's right, it's all because the AC is in Auckland, 12 hours away from the sport's power base.  Who in the NH wants to watch a yacht race in the middle of the night?

Yeh Nah. 

The TV audience numbers mean little because (as erudite commentators on both sides of the fence keep saying) the event hardly registers on the world stage.  There's about 1,000 of you north of the equator interested in getting out of bed for the AC.

And half of you seem to be on SA.

Just sayin'  ;-) (apologies SBD)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Aucklands International Tennis Tournaments cancelled for the 2nd year in a row per NZ Herald

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/tennis-asb-classic-cancelled-for-second-straight-year/HFT33WQ7ABUGE5HZ37IGYW5BHY/

And yet they want to continue to hold the AC there. If they can't handle a bunch of International Tennis Players and their staff why should the City being allowed to host AC37.

Grant Dalton made the best move ever to put the AC37 Hosting up to the highest bidder.

Jacinda Ardern and her Clown Labor Government has to ease these Quarantine Restrictions at some Point for International Travellers if NZ ever wants to host a big International Sporting Event with Fans & Supporters coming from other Countries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Aucklands International Tennis Tournaments cancelled for the 2nd year in a row per NZ Herald

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/tennis-asb-classic-cancelled-for-second-straight-year/HFT33WQ7ABUGE5HZ37IGYW5BHY/

And yet they want to continue to hold the AC there. If they can't handle a bunch of International Tennis Players and their staff why should the City being allowed to host AC37.

Grant Dalton made the best move ever to put the AC37 Hosting up to the highest bidder.

Jacinda Ardern and her Clown Labor Government has to ease these Quarantine Restrictions at some Point for International Travellers if NZ ever wants to host a big International Sporting Event with Fans & Supporters coming from other Countries.

Maybe the tennis needed to learn from Dalts and demand 200 mill to run the event. Then you could bitch like a child about that instead.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Jacinda Ardern and her Clown Labor Government has to ease these Quarantine Restrictions at some Point for International Travellers if NZ ever wants to host a big International Sporting Event with Fans & Supporters coming from other Countries.

They will, but only when they have vaccinated enough of the population to make it safe to do so. 

Why do you think the NZ government are clowns. They controlled the virus and have had one of the best economic results in the world due to controlling the virus. The people of NZ clearly don't think the government are clowns and they handed them the biggest election win since 1951. A sure fire way to lose the next election would be to open the borders too soon, although I suspect the government would be more worried about the human cost of a major outbreak, followed by the economic devastation. 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SimonN said:

They will, but only when they have vaccinated enough of the population to make it safe to do so. 

Why do you think the NZ government are clowns. They controlled the virus and have had one of the best economic results in the world due to controlling the virus. The people of NZ clearly don't think the government are clowns and they handed them the biggest election win since 1951. A sure fire way to lose the next election would be to open the borders too soon, although I suspect the government would be more worried about the human cost of a major outbreak, followed by the economic devastation. 

Interesting to see how the outside world perceives us. From inside the country I would disagree with much of this, especially the build up to the election. But this is not really the place for political discussions, they turn nasty here very quickly, so I will leave it alone.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

If only he had some currently. 

Well, you can be sure he's working hard to secure some. If anyone can, he can.

I hope he's successful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SimonN said:

The people of NZ clearly don't think the government are clowns...

Fortunately, we don't all think alike. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2021 at 6:44 PM, Gissie said:

But this is not really the place for political discussions, they turn nasty here very quickly, so I will leave it alone.

Sage advice. I was about to make a political comment then backed out after reading yours :D

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

My bet is that GD and Ratc already know the venue, secured the money (some advance for the brits regarding that), already work on their new boat, and when they announce it in sept or october the others will be too late to catch up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I've spent too long on this forum. I am so persuaded of their brilliance that I am expecting a team centred around Burling & Tuke and managed by GD to win the Euros football final on Sunday. After all if Australia can enter the Eurovision song contest, and a NZ team can be sponsored by UAE and choose Europeans their home 'ground' then why not.

Next stop Baseball world series

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

 

My bet is that GD and Ratc already know the venue, secured the money (some advance for the brits regarding that), already work on their new boat, and when they announce it in sept or october the others will be too late to catch up.

The longer they wait the more time the design team has to get ahead.  LR seems to have maintained their design team during the interim.  Sounds like Alinghy - SA is poaching the AM design team.  This leaves the inexperienced management AM team in a fight to stay alive

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

 

My bet is that GD and Ratc already know the venue, secured the money (some advance for the brits regarding that), already work on their new boat, and when they announce it in sept or october the others will be too late to catch up.

Status quo then. It’s only been 4 months. They only won in mid March. It’s now mid July. The Defender always holds an advantage. Always have, always will. If they didn’t, the Cup wouldn’t be as prestigious as it is. Just wait.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chobani Sailor said:

The longer they wait the more time the design team has to get ahead.  LR seems to have maintained their design team during the interim.  Sounds like Alinghy - SA is poaching the AM design team.  This leaves the inexperienced management AM team in a fight to stay alive

Nothing agains TH, but they have to change the team, and that begins with the management. BTW, their first role now is to keep the designers and find new ones.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

I don't see the comments as a 'blast' or a 'hit out' but here's a fluff piece fwiw:

Stuff have precisely 2 words they use for any kind of negative comment; "slams" or "blasts"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

I don't see the comments as a 'blast' or a 'hit out' but here's a fluff piece fwiw:

Luna Rossa star Francesco Bruni blasts Grant Dalton over America's Cup delays | Stuff.co.nz

 

so FB is not happy that they are on the outside in the same place as AM and INEOS were in the last cup. Maybe LR shouldnt have burned their bridges in AC36 #JustSayin  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrBump said:

so FB is not happy that they are on the outside in the same place as AM and INEOS were in the last cup. Maybe LR shouldnt have burned their bridges in AC36 #JustSayin  

Excatly! The way LR treated AM & INEOS during AC36 was bad!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrBump said:

so FB is not happy that they are on the outside in the same place as AM and INEOS were in the last cup. Maybe LR shouldnt have burned their bridges in AC36 #JustSayin  

Yes, their behaviour with AM and INEOS was not correct, but who is burning the bridges ? GD burnt the bridges with Russell, then with all the AC35 challengers, now with LR. How long before the war happens with Ineos ? But Ratcliffe is not a small player and has more cards in his hands.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

GD burnt the bridges with Russell, then with all the AC35 challengers, now with LR. How long before the war happens with Ineos ? 

GD did what he needed to, to successfully challenge then defend.

I've no doubt he'll be up for AC37.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Status quo then. It’s only been 4 months. They only won in mid March. It’s now mid July. The Defender always holds an advantage. Always have, always will. If they didn’t, the Cup wouldn’t be as prestigious as it is. Just wait.

If only that cunt Fay would have felt that way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

GD did what he needed to, to successfully challenge then defend.

I've no doubt he'll be up for AC37.

The past success did not have so much to do with what he did than with his designers, now let's see what happens for AC37.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

If only that cunt Fay would have felt that way.

First of all, KZ1 was a revolutionary boat, way ahead of its time!

2nd, That "Cunt" forced the creation of a new rule that lasted for 15 years.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

The past success did not have so much to do with what he did than with his designers, now let's see what happens for AC37.

No GD, no ETNZ. Simple.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Status quo then. It’s only been 4 months. They only won in mid March. It’s now mid July. The Defender always holds an advantage. Always have, always will. If they didn’t, the Cup wouldn’t be as prestigious as it is. Just wait.

Exactly.  

Link to post
Share on other sites