Jump to content

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Very well said! The NZ Government is creating a false sense of security in the General Public.

Australia did the same and look what happened. Their most populous State New South Wales opened everything back up by the end of March-early April and now they're experiencing the worst Outbreak since the Pandemic began.

The Government isn't creating anything! 

Aussies are dumb, and their leadership is shit. That and only that is the reason why they are in the situation they are in.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 20.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pissing down outside and yes, we are back to Level 3. To all those moaning and bitching about it and calling the PM childish names, get a grip, we are the luckiest people in the world right

They towed out around 11am and the breeze was light and puffy to start with. Foiled down the Channel and headed out to the Bays. The breeze started to build around midday and they got some long runs i

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

In all seriousness why didn't Arderns Government start Vaccinations to the General Public when Vaccines became available in January instead of waiting 7 months, that's right, no kidding to September 1st.

They are behind the 8-Ball by a lot.

They did. It was a step by step roll out. The vulnerable were first, frontline staff second, everyone else 3rd. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

1. This isn't 'ordered' its in vaccination rate.

2. This is a press release from The National Party. ;)

3. We are going according to (slightly above) the plan.

Keep believing that NZ is doing well with Vaccinations!

The low rates are the Main Reason why Major International Sporting Events like the Auckland Tennis Tournaments (ASB Classics) or the SailGP Event in Christchurch getting canned.

I can now very well understand Grant Dalton not making an effort hosting AC37 in Auckland when he sees other Major Sports like Wimbledon, the EURO and the US Open running with near Full Capacities without interruptions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I can now very well understand Grant Dalton not making an effort hosting AC37 in Auckland when he sees other Major Sports like Wimbledon, the EURO and the US Open running with near Full Capacities without interruptions.

While overwhelming hospitals with Covid cases.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Over 6 million cases, and over 130,000 dead. But so what right? You're an idiot.

I am not an idiot! A COVID19 Elimination Strategy like NZ is doing is "Impossible" to do in a Country like the UK which has rougly 130 Million People or the USA which has 331 Million or any Western World Country like France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy for that matter.

There is a reason I don't like Jacinda Ardern. She consistently points fingers at the Western World despite knowing she has only 5.3 Million People to content with.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I am not an idiot! A COVID19 Elimination Strategy like NZ is doing is "Impossible" to do in a Country like the UK which has rougly 130 Million People

Your statement in the last clause does tend to undermine the first

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I am not an idiot! A COVID19 Elimination Strategy like NZ is doing is "Impossible" to do in a Country like the UK which has rougly 130 Million People or the USA which has 331 Million or any Western World Country like France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy for that matter.

There is a reason I don't like Jacinda Ardern. She consistently points fingers at the Western World despite knowing she has only 5.3 Million People to content with.

Why? Covid 19 did not exist in 2018. It all comes down to effective leadership. The problem with the “Western world” is they bought into Trumps ridiculous rhetoric. They all believed him when he said the virus would be gone by April, they believed him when he said it’s just like the flu. Then people started dying and governments were forced to lock down with no imminent vaccine, no plan and no certainty. NZ may only have a population of 5 million, but clearly Jacinda was able to clearly convince 5 million people why we were locking down, and what the consequences would be if we didn’t. Look at Fiji, a tiny population who’s leadership also believed their isolation would protect them but who’s population has also been decimated by the virus. Population is irrelevant. Selfishness is the reason the US, the UK and Australia are facing surges. Thinking of themselves instead of the person beside them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

NZ will likely have a near zero covid policy for years because the population is happy with that. 

Fine by me. 

But nobody would invest in a 2024 AC event held with the possibility of situational restrictions that make people unwilling to come to the event. Unless they didn't want to break even. Maybe a philanthropy? Or maybe if it were not held in NZ? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Why? Covid 19 did not exist in 2018. It all comes down to effective leadership. The problem with the “Western world” is they bought into Trumps ridiculous rhetoric. They all believed him when he said the virus would be gone by April, they believed him when he said it’s just like the flu. Then people started dying and governments were forced to lock down with no imminent vaccine, no plan and no certainty. NZ may only have a population of 5 million, but clearly Jacinda was able to clearly convince 5 million people why we were locking down, and what the consequences would be if we didn’t. Look at Fiji, a tiny population who’s leadership also believed their isolation would protect them but who’s population has also been decimated by the virus. Population is irrelevant. Selfishness is the reason the US, the UK and Australia are facing surges. Thinking of themselves instead of the person beside them. 

This is complete NONSENSE from you! If you lock down Countries like USA, UK, European Union it would have pushed the World into an Economic Downturn & Disaster far worse than what we had during the Great Depression or the 2008 Financial Crisis.

Some people were dying anyways but they had to keep their Economies up and running to keep the Worlds Economy afload.

NZ on the flip side could afford it to lock the Country down because they only play a tiny part when it comes to the Economic Superpowers like USA, UK, China, Japan or the EU!

You are just not very good at financial stuff mate!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

NZ will likely have a near zero covid policy for years because the population is happy with that. 

Fine by me. 

But nobody would invest in a 2024 AC event held with the possibility of situational restrictions that make people unwilling to come to the event. Unless they didn't want to break even. Maybe a philanthropy? Or maybe if it were not held in NZ? 

And that's excatly why AC37 is likely to move offshore. Grant Dalton can't afford to have the same restrictions especially not letting foreigners in yet again like AC36 had it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Google is your friend.

Twat… hospitalisation rates are not overwhelming the uk healh service 

you and DG bringing the bullshit today 130million. People in the uk? Wtf. 

so GD laying the ground for an over seas defence having killed of the private investor approach and still got no firm offers of cash for a home defence. 
 

enjoy watching the cup on a European time zone.. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Twat… hospitalisation rates are not overwhelming the uk healh service 

you and DG bringing the bullshit today 130million. People in the uk? Wtf. 

so GD laying the ground for an over seas defence having killed of the private investor approach and still got no firm offers of cash for a home defence. 
 

enjoy watching the cup on a European time zone.. 

 

It is what it is. There’s always You Tube replays and Record live TV on Sky Sport so it’s no big deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

It is what it is. There’s always You Tube replays and Record live TV on Sky Sport so it’s no big deal.

Not giving enough of a shit to watch it live?  If that’s how you feel the other 5million likely won’t bother at all 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Abandoning 5 million teammates? 

If 5 million people wanna contribute $10 each there’d be more than enough to keep the team here. Maybe you should get Jacinda to convince those 5 million team mates to give $10 each if you want it here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Not giving enough of a shit to watch it live?  If that’s how you feel the other 5million likely won’t bother at all 

What’s the difference between watching it live and not? Surely all that matters is watching it at all?

Most Kiwis don’t get up at 1am in the morning to watch the ABs play South Africa, we watch the replay the next day. It’s no biggie. That’s the good thing about choice. Look at the last Bledisloe test, Eden Park was only half full, why? Because everyone knew the ABs were going to thrash Australia, so they preferred to watch that thrashing in the comfort of their own home where it’s warm and an 18 box is cheaper than paying $9 for a single beer. Sure the atmosphere at Eden Park would’ve been electric, but the atmosphere wasn’t worth the inconvenience of sitting in a stadium in the middle of winter watching a foregone conclusion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

so GD laying the ground for an over seas defence having killed of the private investor approach and still got no firm offers of cash for a home defence. 

enjoy watching the cup on a European time zone.. 

I doubt @Forourselvesis bothered watching from a European Time Zone. I had to watch from a Pacific Time Zone this February & March.

Dalton thinks he can show these Boats to a broader audience by possible moving it to Europe plus more Sponsors. For Starters who is going to sponsor the CSS? I doubt PRADA continues to sponsor without them being Challenger of Record. Maybe Dalts has already a new Deal with Louis Vuitton after they got shoved off if favor of PRADA for AC36 which was a huge mistake. Dalton has to bury down hatchets that have opened. Maybe Bruno Trouble, CEO of Louis Vuitton gets more involved again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I doubt @Forourselvesis bothered watching from a European Time Zone. I had to watch from a Pacific Time Zone this February & March.

Dalton thinks he can show these Boats to a broader audience by possible moving it to Europe plus more Sponsors. For Starters who is going to sponsor the CSS? I doubt PRADA continues to sponsor without them being Challenger of Record. Maybe Dalts has already a new Deal with Louis Vuitton after they got shoved off if favor of PRADA for AC36 which was a huge mistake. Dalton has to bury down hatchets that have opened. Maybe Bruno Trouble, CEO of Louis Vuitton gets more involved again.

Nope. I don’t care about European time zones if I can get it on You tube when ever I like, like last cycle. I’ll be pissed if Dalts takes away the You tube coverage but I can’t see him doing that so Euro time zones are irrelevant. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Comment on the radio about latest update from Dalton. The dozens of applications have been narrowed down to three. He also said there is a slight chance it could still be held in NZ.

Maybe the original offer of 99 mill has yet to be exceeded. :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Forourselves said:

If 5 million people wanna contribute $10 each there’d be more than enough to keep the team here. Maybe you should get Jacinda to convince those 5 million team mates to give $10 each if you want it here.

Or it could be used for something worthwhile instead of a rich, white man's sport.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Comment on the radio about latest update from Dalton. The dozens of applications have been narrowed down to three. He also said there is a slight chance it could still be held in NZ.

Maybe the original offer of 99 mill has yet to be exceeded. :lol:

True also he and Kevin haven’t been spotted on the corporate Ducati heading south towards Tauranga as they did scouting for destinations for AC36.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

Looks like the Chinese lab virus is loose in Auckland.

Queen Jacinda to give address @ 6pm the Chinese Democratic Dictatorships Uyghur viral population control Delta variant now loose in Davenport lockdown from 4pm Wednesday luckily we have a good stock of the Family roll.

I did not know there were any Uyghurs in Davenport.

IMG_1379-scaled.thumb.jpeg.d27683bf190b8d7cbf115f033a6eb31c.jpeg

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's almost certainly the Delta variant, and apparently there was a recent breach in a quarantine facility. This variant is highly contagious and almost impossible to contain. Don't joke about it, it may fuck you over, and kill you. Was bound to happen one day, wish you good luck, and stay safe!

Oh, and get vaccinated for fuck sake, and don't forget you are never fully protected, and certainly not until the second jab.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Forourselves said:

If 5 million people wanna contribute $10 each there’d be more than enough to keep the team here. Maybe you should get Jacinda to convince those 5 million team mates to give $10 each if you want it here.

Why would I want it in NZ? 

time zone is shit

GD loses any good will from the Gov/public

they make it harder for them selves shifting everything overseas, so it’s either dumb or massively arrogant.

we might not have to listen to The kiwi commentary bloke over pronounce every place name going 

it’s not my job to crowd fund Grants next fishing cat 

5million x10 is less than the gov offered in the first place. Wtf? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Forourselves said:

What’s the difference between watching it live and not? Surely all that matters is watching it at all?

Most Kiwis don’t get up at 1am in the morning to watch the ABs play South Africa, we watch the replay the next day. It’s no biggie. That’s the good thing about choice. Look at the last Bledisloe test, Eden Park was only half full, why? Because everyone knew the ABs were going to thrash Australia, so they preferred to watch that thrashing in the comfort of their own home where it’s warm and an 18 box is cheaper than paying $9 for a single beer. Sure the atmosphere at Eden Park would’ve been electric, but the atmosphere wasn’t worth the inconvenience of sitting in a stadium in the middle of winter watching a foregone conclusion.

And it’s that apathy and arrogance of “ we will win anyway” that has your sports teams whoring themselves to the highest bidder.  Lack of home support isn’t putting cash in the coffers. 
 

Go support your teams or watch them fuck off while you sit on the porch howling about the good old days. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

And it’s that apathy and arrogance of “ we will win anyway” that has your sports teams whoring themselves to the highest bidder.  Lack of home support isn’t putting cash in the coffers. 
 

Go support your teams or watch them fuck off while you sit on the porch howling about the good old days. 

Why wouldn't we? More often than not, we win, and we win convincingly. In Rugby, and in sailing we've done both in 2021. And we absolutely trashed the Aussies on the weekend and Ab's fans saw that coming, which is why they didn't waste money, time, or convenience, by sitting in the rain in the middle of winter watching a game we all knew the AB's would win.

Its not about arrogance, its about convenience. Getting out of bed at 1am in the morning isn't an inviting prospect for any sports fans, especially if you can watch the very same thing and not lose any sleep over it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

unlike other countries that were/ are under huge pressure to vaccinate their population because of resurgence of the virus, NZ had/ has been able to successfully manage Covid without the vaccine. Yes the vaccine is critical, but there is/ was no need to rush the vaccine roll out.

The General population is now able to be vaccinated. Myself, I have had my first shot, and have my second booked for a few weeks time. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Why would I want it in NZ? 

time zone is shit

GD loses any good will from the Gov/public

they make it harder for them selves shifting everything overseas, so it’s either dumb or massively arrogant.

we might not have to listen to The kiwi commentary bloke over pronounce every place name going 

it’s not my job to crowd fund Grants next fishing cat 

5million x10 is less than the gov offered in the first place. Wtf? 

 

I didn't quote you, so I wasn't asking you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

unlike other countries that were/ are under huge pressure to vaccinate their population because of resurgence of the virus, NZ had/ has been able to successfully manage Covid without the vaccine. Yes the vaccine is critical, but there is/ was no need to rush the vaccine roll out.

The General population is now able to be vaccinated. Myself, I have had my first shot, and have my second booked for a few weeks time. 

 

Sailing shit talk aside. 
 

Keeping New Zealand Covid free was a fantastic accomplishment but why didn’t they capitalise on that good will go  get the entire population vaccinated so They could actually open themselves up to the rest of the world for international business events and travel. Currently it seems to be a very hard border thats only made exception to if you’re an all black

The situation as it is, we are seeing vaccinated countries able to continue with normal life with hugely reduced death rate and hospitalisation rates. 
 

don’t get me wrong I think our prime minister is an absolute dickhead but at least they started a vaccine rollout months ago with over 80% of our population double jabbed.   to say that first vaccinations are only just getting out into the New Zealand public when you’ve had a safe and secure environment for well over a year seems slightly remiss. 
 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Oh fuck? Really? 

Gospel truth JAL and couple the poor rate of vaccination with a cultural hesitancy to participate amongst the Maori and Pacifica portions of the population not to mention the anti vaxxer nutters the horizon does not look too bright.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

And it’s that apathy and arrogance of “ we will win anyway” that has your sports teams whoring themselves to the highest bidder.  Lack of home support isn’t putting cash in the coffers. 
 

Go support your teams or watch them fuck off while you sit on the porch howling about the good old days. 

The village idiot Fouryearsold fails to mention live sport broadcaster options here in the home of the Cup but not for too much longer are limited to Sky Tv which is costly and wearing very weak financial boots so much so the NZRU brought a 15% stake not exactly a great investment.

This is not a picture of a financially sustainable vibrant sponsors dream sporting model when the punters abandon the stands and choose to focus on other things life has to offer.

9F44384D-D38A-4F84-8199-BC8347903768.jpeg.f1cfa7a173cfae41518d7a7043e6fe32.jpeg

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Gospel truth JAL and couple the poor rate of vaccination with a cultural hesitancy to participate amongst the Maori and Pacifica portions of the population not to mention the anti vaxxer nutters the horizon does not look too bright.

take up rate has slowed amongst the under 20s here.

partly because our fearless leader declared freedom day in mid July and lifted restrictions so why would i need a vaccine if restrictions are lifted right?

 

its getting there now but the anti vax/microchip injecting your self with foetus brigade are singing loud and proud here too.

we had a shit time of it but the majority want to resume life and business so will take the shot in the arm to accomplish it IF it means a return to normality.

 

I have family in OZ and Friends in NZ who are for all intents and purposes trapped by the MIQ situation (in NZ) I cant be alone in thinking that the MIQ wouldn't be so draconian if there had been a greater effort in Vaccination much earlier in proceedings.

 

yes you can still carry and spread it after the jab but if the person that gets it has the jab then it is far less likely to require hospitalisation or result in death. that is Bourne out very clearly in the figures from the UK. yes infections are high but hospitalisation rates are on the floor. locking your country and population away until it all blows over doesn't seem an ideal solution 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

take up rate has slowed amongst the under 20s here.

partly because our fearless leader declared freedom day in mid July and lifted restrictions so why would i need a vaccine if restrictions are lifted right?

 

its getting there now but the anti vax/microchip injecting your self with foetus brigade are singing loud and proud here too.

we had a shit time of it but the majority want to resume life and business so will take the shot in the arm to accomplish it IF it means a return to normality.

 

I have family in OZ and Friends in NZ who are for all intents and purposes trapped by the MIQ situation (in NZ) I cant be alone in thinking that the MIQ wouldn't be so draconian if there had been a greater effort in Vaccination much earlier in proceedings.

 

yes you can still carry and spread it after the jab but if the person that gets it has the jab then it is far less likely to require hospitalisation or result in death. that is Bourne out very clearly in the figures from the UK. yes infections are high but hospitalisation rates are on the floor. locking your country and population away until it all blows over doesn't seem an ideal solution 

Tend to think we are on the no plan plan here.

Our ability to isolate the Communist virus has seen endless failures to contain at the border regardless of our moat plan B of a comprehensive national vaccination has in reality not been rapid enough in roll out to provide best practice efficacy and in reality fallen pitifully short of others achievements.

This slippery fish of a tricky communist virus will test this nation and others for many moons to come.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

Sailing shit talk aside. 
 

Keeping New Zealand Covid free was a fantastic accomplishment but why didn’t they capitalise on that good will go  get the entire population vaccinated so They could actually open themselves up to the rest of the world for international business events and travel. Currently it seems to be a very hard border thats only made exception to if you’re an all black

The situation as it is, we are seeing vaccinated countries able to continue with normal life with hugely reduced death rate and hospitalisation rates. 
 

don’t get me wrong I think our prime minister is an absolute dickhead but at least they started a vaccine rollout months ago with over 80% of our population double jabbed.   to say that first vaccinations are only just getting out into the New Zealand public when you’ve had a safe and secure environment for well over a year seems slightly remiss. 
 

 

 

Despite being early and securing enough for NZ - the realities of unmet production promises that impacted the rest of the world also impacted NZ. You will recall skirmishes between the EU and UK over has rights to production runs, NZ being a very small buyer didn't have much power to leverage.

The reality is that we've been vaccinating pretty much inline with the supply available. You can see by July 11th that we were close to running out (but not quite). Since then stock arrivals have increased dramatically. In short, the ministry of health has actually been pretty good at maximising vaccinations without ever running out. Who do we blame for slow production and deliveries? Well... that's really at Pfizer's feet right? Or Boris?

1080667657_ScreenShot2021-08-17at8_42_08PM.thumb.png.998aa295f4ee24c228dc926d8f86bbf4.png

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-data-and-statistics/covid-19-vaccine-data

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

yes you can still carry and spread it after the jab but if the person that gets it has the jab then it is far less likely to require hospitalisation or result in death.

I have a friend in Holland, and they're still getting 2k a day infections, but with 80% of the pop fully vaxed, the death rate has plummeted. She recently got covid (she's fully vaxed) and symptoms were limited to the throat and nose. She had a sore throat for about 4 days. It's hard for the virus to get any further in a fully vaxxed person. You are still infectious for a while, but because your viral load is much lower, you don't spread it as easily, or as long.

I want to get the jab, but can't get the pfizer one as Sydney stole all our supplies. I can get the AZ one and may have to if delta gets away up here like it has in Sydney. Remember from your first jab, you're not fully protected until about 6 weeks later. 2 weeks after your second jab. That's quite a long time frame.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rh3000 said:

Despite being early and securing enough for NZ - the realities of unmet production promises that impacted the rest of the world also impacted NZ. You will recall skirmishes between the EU and UK over has rights to production runs, NZ being a very small buyer didn't have much power to leverage.

The reality is that we've been vaccinating pretty much inline with the supply available. You can see by July 11th that we were close to running out (but not quite). Since then stock arrivals have increased dramatically. In short, the ministry of health has actually been pretty good at maximising vaccinations without ever running out. Who do we blame for slow production and deliveries? Well... that's really at Pfizer's feet right? Or Boris?

1080667657_ScreenShot2021-08-17at8_42_08PM.thumb.png.998aa295f4ee24c228dc926d8f86bbf4.png

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-data-and-statistics/covid-19-vaccine-data

The ministry of health has bugger all to do with the vaccinations. Each DHB does their own thing, they also get to set what their targets are so no surprise they meet them.

In general it is a cluster fuck. No overall tracking, software still being developed. No over all control, still being developed. But at least we get to be kind to each other. Although that concept, along with the team of 5 million, only cost 12 million to a PR company. Sweet deal.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gissie said:

The ministry of health has bugger all to do with the vaccinations. Each DHB does their own thing, they also get to set what their targets are so no surprise they meet them.

In general it is a cluster fuck. No overall tracking, software still being developed. No over all control, still being developed. But at least we get to be kind to each other. Although that concept, along with the team of 5 million, only cost 12 million to a PR company. Sweet deal.

 

See enigmaticallys post above mate... that you think MoH has nothing to do with purchasing vaccines and supply says it all... but you've never been one to let facts get in the way of a good story...

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-vaccines/covid-19-vaccine-strategy-planning-insights/covid-19-purchasing-vaccines

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gissie said:

The ministry of health has bugger all to do with the vaccinations. Each DHB does their own thing, they also get to set what their targets are so no surprise they meet them.

In general it is a cluster fuck. No overall tracking, software still being developed. No over all control, still being developed. But at least we get to be kind to each other. Although that concept, along with the team of 5 million, only cost 12 million to a PR company. Sweet deal.

 

12 million? bloody amateurs

 

check this out for some truly stupendous fuckery.

£37 BILLION for Track and Trace that didn't work..

https://committees.parliament.uk/committee/127/public-accounts-committee/news/150988/unimaginable-cost-of-test-trace-failed-to-deliver-central-promise-of-averting-another-lockdown/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really sure what you are all arguing about. I don't think there is a single government that has got everything right on Covid.

UK screwed up the start, but did a good job on getting vaccines early (by guaranteeing purchases before they passed the tests they got to the front of the queue)

NZ & Aus closed the borders well at the start but sat back to see what would come of the vaccines.

Each to some extent played to their advantages (harder for UK to close borders, but better access to Pharma)

Japan, USA, EU and others all have their own mistakes.

Many others are even worse of course.

Lets all get vaccinated and move on, and talk about something else. Sailing for example?

After all, SA does have a sub-forum dedicated to Covid

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, southseasbill said:

Looks like the Chinese lab virus is loose in Auckland.

I kinda knew this would happen. New South Wales has 7.500 Active COVID Cases just accross the Tasman Sea. It was inevitable New Zealand and especially Auckland with it's rougly 1.3 Million Population and few people fully vaccinated would suffer a COVID Setback. Happens everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is curious, from the already-posted UPDATE FROM GRANT DALTON - Emirates Team New Zealand (americascup.com)

If you are in need of investors and would prefer to Defend in NZ then... why the hit-out tone? Why not be more engaged with these parties

"You will have read several weeks ago of an offer by a private investor to financially help the team. To date, with time ticking, I have only had one conversation with him and no proposal. All that we are in possession of is an elaborate flow chart showing a complex but typical investment banking structured deal, through which tax can be minimised as the Crown and the private investor’s money flows through to a company owned and controlled by him. This structure is also based on the questionable premise that the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron’s status as a not-for-profit organisation would also be utilised. Emirates Team New Zealand and America’s Cup Event will have no part in any such tax structures and we are also extremely concerned that control over the team and the event would ultimately rest with private investors who have played no part in the achievements of the current team."

Related, from July 30: America's Cup: Rich-lister proposes NZ venue option for AC37 | Stuff.co.nz

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

This is curious, from the already-posted UPDATE FROM GRANT DALTON - Emirates Team New Zealand (americascup.com)

If you are in need of investors and would prefer to Defend in NZ then... why the hit-out tone? Why not be more engaged with these parties

"You will have read several weeks ago of an offer by a private investor to financially help the team. To date, with time ticking, I have only had one conversation with him and no proposal. All that we are in possession of is an elaborate flow chart showing a complex but typical investment banking structured deal, through which tax can be minimised as the Crown and the private investor’s money flows through to a company owned and controlled by him. This structure is also based on the questionable premise that the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron’s status as a not-for-profit organisation would also be utilised. Emirates Team New Zealand and America’s Cup Event will have no part in any such tax structures and we are also extremely concerned that control over the team and the event would ultimately rest with private investors who have played no part in the achievements of the current team."

Related, from July 30: America's Cup: Rich-lister proposes NZ venue option for AC37 | Stuff.co.nz

Let's see if you can figure it out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

This is curious, from the already-posted UPDATE FROM GRANT DALTON - Emirates Team New Zealand (americascup.com)

If you are in need of investors and would prefer to Defend in NZ then... why the hit-out tone? Why not be more engaged with these parties

"You will have read several weeks ago of an offer by a private investor to financially help the team. To date, with time ticking, I have only had one conversation with him and no proposal. All that we are in possession of is an elaborate flow chart showing a complex but typical investment banking structured deal, through which tax can be minimised as the Crown and the private investor’s money flows through to a company owned and controlled by him. This structure is also based on the questionable premise that the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron’s status as a not-for-profit organisation would also be utilised. Emirates Team New Zealand and America’s Cup Event will have no part in any such tax structures and we are also extremely concerned that control over the team and the event would ultimately rest with private investors who have played no part in the achievements of the current team."

Related, from July 30: America's Cup: Rich-lister proposes NZ venue option for AC37 | Stuff.co.nz

The last 3rd of that statement literally explains it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Let's see if you can figure it out.

Am curious if the key is this part "we are also extremely concerned that control over the team and the event would ultimately rest with private investors" - as if, while they want investors, they (GD and Matteo?) are refusing to give them any 'control' in return for helping with their money problem. Almost like a power-play. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Am curious if the key is this part "we are also extremely concerned that control over the team and the event would ultimately rest with private investors" - as if, while they want investors, they (GD and Matteo?) are refusing to give them any 'control' in return for helping with their money problem. Almost like a power-play. 

Nope... Still not cracked... Keep trying and do some googling of the investor specifically.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rh3000 said:

See enigmaticallys post above mate... that you think MoH has nothing to do with purchasing vaccines and supply says it all... but you've never been one to let facts get in the way of a good story...

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-vaccines/covid-19-vaccine-strategy-planning-insights/covid-19-purchasing-vaccines

And you often use misdirection and half truths.

Of course the MoH purchased the vaccines, never said they didn't. Although they certainly have used its arrival for PR purposes. It's what happens next. Each DHB set up its own method of stabbing people. Way up north they fell way behind the target, a target they actually set. So they gave up on doing the priority groups and just threw it wide open to anyone. Had both mine long ago.

Each DHB has its own booking and registering system. Despite having over a year to prepare and splashing 34 million on it, the thing is still not ready up and running.

So hard to claim we are rolling along perfectly, unless you have some special, rose tinted glasses on. Or work for the MoH...

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Nope... Still not cracked... Keep trying and do some googling of the investor specifically.

Mark Dunphy comes across as all a bit flakey considering he has little to offer and no history in the sailing community net alone the AC.

18 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Doesn't that cover all billionaires...

ED932CB7-9D5E-4ADA-B77E-4F3CEDB124F9.jpeg.dcb47ab69f7835e0598a05d000e07b8f.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tax avoidance using loopholes and legal means like lines of credit from pledged stock shares, for example, isn't a crime.  But money laundering is....  Dunnno who the "investor" is but the flow charts are "noteworthy" perhaps it's shell companies too?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Tax avoidance using loopholes and legal means like lines of credit from pledged stock shares, for example, isn't a crime.  But money laundering is....  Dunnno who the "investor" is but the flow charts are "noteworthy" perhaps it's shell companies too?

The Hong Kong tax department used to be very clear that it was your responsibility to avoid paying tax wherever possible. To the point they would even help such endeavours with advice.

However, they also made it clear any tax evasion would be prosecuted. Fortunately the tax level was low enough to not bother spending to much effort to not just pay.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Indio said:

Don't forget the bleach for injecting up your butt.

No, that’s what you do with the UV lightbulb. You drink the bleach, or have it injected into your lungs.

Trump told me so I know it’s true.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rh3000 said:

Nope... Still not cracked... Keep trying and do some googling of the investor specifically.

What's GD's problem with Dunphy as an investor looking to keep the Cup in NZ?

Again, from here just 2 weeks ago: America's Cup: Rich-lister proposes NZ venue option for AC37 | Stuff.co.nz

Mark Dunphy, who part owns and heads Greymouth Petroleum, has floated his idea with the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron, and made contact with council agency Auckland Unlimited.

Dunphy is estimated in the 2021 NBR Rich List as being worth $220 million and on July 27, registered a company called AC37 Defence Limited, with himself as sole director and shareholder.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

What's GD's problem with Dunphy as an investor looking to keep the Cup in NZ?

Again, from here just 2 weeks ago: America's Cup: Rich-lister proposes NZ venue option for AC37 | Stuff.co.nz

Mark Dunphy, who part owns and heads Greymouth Petroleum, has floated his idea with the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron, and made contact with council agency Auckland Unlimited.

Dunphy is estimated in the 2021 NBR Rich List as being worth $220 million and on July 27, registered a company called AC37 Defence Limited, with himself as sole director and shareholder.

 

Dalton doesn't want to give away control of the Team to Private Investors...

“We are also extremely concerned that control over the team and the event would ultimately rest with private investors who have played no part in the achievements of the current team,” he said.

This little phrase pretty much sums up Grants frame of mind.

You have to understand Stingray that Dalts isn't like Ben who did go money hunting with Ratcliffe.

Link to post
Share on other sites