Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 18.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pissing down outside and yes, we are back to Level 3. To all those moaning and bitching about it and calling the PM childish names, get a grip, we are the luckiest people in the world right

They towed out around 11am and the breeze was light and puffy to start with. Foiled down the Channel and headed out to the Bays. The breeze started to build around midday and they got some long runs i

Posted Images

Radio NZ says "second class" boat for the women or something similar, I believe this AC40 might put the ac75 into an inferior class, being nearly as fast and more agile.  Might be fun if they beat an AC75 in a race?!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Goodnight Sail GP.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron (RNZYS) and Defender Emirates Team New Zealand (ETNZ) along with the Royal Yacht Squadron Ltd (RYSL) and Challenger of Record INEOS Team UK today announce........

:lol: way to keep it factual guys

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yoyo said:

So maybe the AC40 traveling side show is another part in the puzzle as to why 100M is not enough for TNZ to do an AC campaign at home.

Yeah, have to wonder why a team struggling to fund their defense thinks having to build more boats and ship them all over the world is a good idea.

Nut job comes to mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gissie said:

Yeah, have to wonder why a team struggling to fund their defense thinks having to build more boats and ship them all over the world is a good idea.

Nut job comes to mind.

Because it makes sense.

They build one, license the other builds out, and each team then pays ETNZ 2 to 3 million per boat, giving ETNZ, not just another revenue source and cash for the defense, but also more teams overall that may then join AC38 as full fledged AC75 sailing teams.

It's a great idea.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming they don't find themselves struggling in an enlarged field of challengers in AC38. Won't be CoR either in that case unless they send their Commodore over to ride on Sir Jim's spectator yacht. ;)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChairborneRanger said:

Because it makes sense.

They build one, license the other builds out, and each team then pays ETNZ 2 to 3 million per boat, giving ETNZ, not just another revenue source and cash for the defense, but also more teams overall that may then join AC38 as full fledged AC75 sailing teams.

It's a great idea.

So they make what, 10 to 20 million, if lucky. For that they need to have more staff and more crew to race them. Then they need to send their boat and crew all over the world to do a bit of racing.

So if 99 mill isn't enough to run the AC in Dorkland, what difference will 20 mill (minus all the other costs) make. Apart from giving them more this to distract them from the main prize.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gissie said:

So they make what, 10 to 20 million, if lucky. For that they need to have more staff and more crew to race them. Then they need to send their boat and crew all over the world to do a bit of racing.

So if 99 mill isn't enough to run the AC in Dorkland, what difference will 20 mill (minus all the other costs) make. Apart from giving them more this to distract them from the main prize.

The AC40 yacht and sales arrangement could be part of the rumored kick-back to RNZYS (Aaron Young in particular) to convince the RNZYS to endorse ETNZ taking the Cup away from NZ.

But even if so, I do like the overall idea. Te Kahu was an awesome boat, these are likely to be as good or better. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Gissie said:

So they make what, 10 to 20 million, if lucky. For that they need to have more staff and more crew to race them. Then they need to send their boat and crew all over the world to do a bit of racing.

So if 99 mill isn't enough to run the AC in Dorkland, what difference will 20 mill (minus all the other costs) make. Apart from giving them more this to distract them from the main prize.

Now you're getting it. No, they aren't broke. They've never been broke. If they were, like I said months ago, they'd be in no position to decline the NZ Government offer like they did.

Money isn't the issue. It never has been the issue, thats just the moronic story the usual suspects trot out at the beginning of every cycle because it makes them feel good.

The issue are the strings attached to that money. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Now you're getting it. No, they aren't broke. They've never been broke. If they were, like I said months ago, they'd be in no position to decline the NZ Government offer like they did.

Money isn't the issue. It never has been the issue, thats just the moronic story the usual suspects trot out at the beginning of every cycle because it makes them feel good.

The issue are the strings attached to that money. 

 

I though you said it was all about our locked borders.

Now it's all about having money with no strings attached. The only way to have that is to be the billionaire. Going around the world, cap in hand for the best offer will always have strings attached. Even the Irish aren't that stupid...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

The AC40 yacht and sales arrangement could be part of the rumored kick-back to RNZYS (Aaron Young in particular) to convince the RNZYS to endorse ETNZ taking the Cup away from NZ.

But even if so, I do like the overall idea. Te Kahu was an awesome boat, these are likely to be as good or better. 

Not sure how much building three new boats will make for anyone. Barely pay for the tooling.

Or are they going to get 75 teams fronting up to splash tons of money on the extreme side of the sport with little to no return? :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gissie said:

I though you said it was all about our locked borders.

Now it's all about having money with no strings attached. The only way to have that is to be the billionaire. Going around the world, cap in hand for the best offer will always have strings attached. Even the Irish aren't that stupid...

Yes, the locked borders are a "string" attached to that money, by the way of not confirming what state those borders will be in in 2024.

Yes, they'll all have strings attached, but it depends who can make the offer with the least strings attached, coupled with the offer that presents the best financial security for both the event and the team itself.

Billionaires have come, and billionaires have gone, often leaving leaving a trail of destruction in their wake for the next Defender to clean up.

The era of the billionaire is not a memorable one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

Yes, the locked borders are a "string" attached to that money, by the way of not confirming what state those borders will be in in 2024.

Yes, they'll all have strings attached, but it depends who can make the offer with the least strings attached, coupled with the offer that presents the best financial security for both the event and the team itself.

Billionaires have come, and billionaires have gone, often leaving leaving a trail of destruction in their wake for the next Defender to clean up.

The era of the billionaire is not a memorable one.

The locked borders, 4 years out are a string. :lol:

As for the billionaire era, for an unmemorable time, it did keep it going for a century or so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 8:25 PM, Forourselves said:

Yes, the locked borders are a "string" attached to that money, by the way of not confirming what state those borders will be in in 2024.

Yes, they'll all have strings attached, but it depends who can make the offer with the least strings attached, coupled with the offer that presents the best financial security for both the event and the team itself.

Billionaires have come, and billionaires have gone, often leaving leaving a trail of destruction in their wake for the next Defender to clean up.

The era of the billionaire is not a memorable one.

What destruction has been left? You're implying Larry, but GD now with the 40 footer has adopted everything from Larry's Cups. There is going to be a lot more shit to clean up after the Kiwis lose than after Larry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2021 at 9:55 PM, Gissie said:

The locked borders, 4 years out are a string. :lol:

As for the billionaire era, for an unmemorable time, it did keep it going for a century or so.

NZ is going to have to let the virus in at some point. Presumably when the vaccine rate is high enough? There will always be a variant ahead of any vaccine, but at some point NZ is going to have to eat it. I am assuming that is going to be well before 2024 though?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

NZ is going to have to let the virus in at some point. Presumably when the vaccine rate is high enough? There will always be a variant ahead of any vaccine, but at some point NZ is going to have to eat it. I am assuming that is going to be well before 2024 though?

They promised the Kiwis that if they accepted all the restrictions they could save everyone. Switching that mindset to, well people gonna die but we have to live our lives is quite a mindshift.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

They promised the Kiwis that if they accepted all the restrictions they could save everyone. Switching that mindset to, well people gonna die but we have to live our lives is quite a mindshift.

When their economy takes a shit I think their mindshift will happen quite quickly. As in any population, greed seems to trump the death of your neighbor. It's going to be interesting. I guess they were hoping for the rest of the world to sort out covid and then open up? That obviously isn't going to happen.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pusslicker said:

When their economy takes a shit I think their mindshift will happen quite quickly. As in any population, greed seems to trump the death of your neighbor. It's going to be interesting. I guess they were hoping for the rest of the world to sort out covid and then open up? That obviously isn't going to happen.

As a previous PM pointed out the other day - hope is not a strategy. There really seems to be no plan, apart from asking people to get vaccinated. Along with plenty of kindness of course. However the idea that NZ will still be locked down tighter than North Korea in 2024 is one of the wilder claims ever made about the AC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"LOCKED DOWN"  prob not. But "highly gated" might be nonzero probability, for nonresident and noncitizens.

Bali touted its "opening" which includes 8 days of quarantine. Sounds tempting. Not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Horn Rock said:

They've dumped the covid elimination strategy. Delta got in - and there's no stopping it.... Vax to the max is their thinking now.....

it really is their only option at this point

Link to post
Share on other sites

It always was everyone's only option. Some had a happy normal time more or less until it was time to vax. Maybe they dawdled a bit too much. 

Think what would have happened if the vaccines were not here before Delta. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

It always was everyone's only option. Some had a happy normal time more or less until it was time to vax. Maybe they dawdled a bit too much. 

Think what would have happened if the vaccines were not here before Delta. 

This is a true story I think. In a quickly developing science tale the numbers from nz detailing the efficacy of the Pfizer shot on icu, hospital, and infections are heartening. NZ probably has the best handle on actual infection numbers in the world due to low numbers and genome sequencing. 

I for one was pretty worried at the numbers coming out of other countries with the latest variant.

Please join me in a sigh of relief, and let's hope that the good god chaos doesn't serve us another variant before the treatment regime really kicks in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I drove past the ETNZ base yesterday. I looked at the achievement in a different way for the first time. This isn't a New Zealand team now for me. Looking offshore to host has put my mindset in a different place. Perhaps, it's the place it always was in reality, a business not a national team. The marketing worked on me because, as it turns out, this is just another venture to grab money and power with a thin veneer of sport over the top. I'm on the edge of whether or not to class Dalts in the same boat as RC and BB. It's close, he's on the gunnel.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

I drove past the ETNZ base yesterday. I looked at the achievement in a different way for the first time. This isn't a New Zealand team now for me. Looking offshore to host has put my mindset in a different place. Perhaps, it's the place it always was in reality, a business not a national team. The marketing worked on me because, as it turns out, this is just another venture to grab money and power with a thin veneer of sport over the top. I'm on the edge of whether or not to class Dalts in the same boat as RC and BB. It's close, he's on the gunnel.

I recall being surrounded by dozens of Kiwis watching race 9 in SF - Dicko (and I believe his family) were there too - sitting in front of the big screen just like the rest of us. The place was literally packed with New Zealanders - who were all relaxed and having a good time. And I had the same impression of Oracle you express here - meh, to Larry its just a business and because I admired TNZ I thought it would be fine whoever won the race. However, I surprised myself by shouting "shit!" and storming off when Aotearoa got the gun. I didn't think I cared, but I did, somehow.

So, my thought is, if ETNZ (who have already fucked up their name, right?) manage to defend at home most folks will be with them. Its just human nature. But if they depart for overseas. Then yeah, fuck those guys!

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

I drove past the ETNZ base yesterday. I looked at the achievement in a different way for the first time. This isn't a New Zealand team now for me. Looking offshore to host has put my mindset in a different place. Perhaps, it's the place it always was in reality, a business not a national team. The marketing worked on me because, as it turns out, this is just another venture to grab money and power with a thin veneer of sport over the top. I'm on the edge of whether or not to class Dalts in the same boat as RC and BB. It's close, he's on the gunnel.

The quantum world Vs general relativity. What a bitch life can be. ;-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Salty Seacock said:

I drove past the ETNZ base yesterday. I looked at the achievement in a different way for the first time. This isn't a New Zealand team now for me. Looking offshore to host has put my mindset in a different place. Perhaps, it's the place it always was in reality, a business not a national team. The marketing worked on me because, as it turns out, this is just another venture to grab money and power with a thin veneer of sport over the top. I'm on the edge of whether or not to class Dalts in the same boat as RC and BB. It's close, he's on the gunnel.

Or you could not vilify RC and BB. They went from the bush league to the big time and you guys should be proud of that. Instead you treat them like pariah's in their own country. GD isn't quite in their league and never will be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pusslicker said:

Or you could not vilify RC and BB. They went from the bush league to the big time and you guys should be proud of that. Instead you treat them like pariah's in their own country. GD isn't quite in their league and never will be.

It would depend on your perspective.  On one hand if you view the team as truly a national (or at least YC) team then they are pariahs.  If on the other hand you view the team as a business then they were successful in their marketing and branding. 
I support the nations concept of the AC, the recent trend of the YC being a shell corporation for a Corporate entity to use the AC brand as a piggy bank is abhorrent to Schuyler’s Deed of Gift.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Salty Seacock said:

I drove past the ETNZ base yesterday. I looked at the achievement in a different way for the first time. This isn't a New Zealand team now for me. Looking offshore to host has put my mindset in a different place. Perhaps, it's the place it always was in reality, a business not a national team. The marketing worked on me because, as it turns out, this is just another venture to grab money and power with a thin veneer of sport over the top. I'm on the edge of whether or not to class Dalts in the same boat as RC and BB. It's close, he's on the gunnel.

I put Dalts as worse. RC, BB etc got a good offer and took it. Did it affect the team, of course.

Dalts is selling the eveny to the highest bidder without a tear in his eye. He is most likely destroying the team forever.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sailman said:

It would depend on your perspective.  On one hand if you view the team as truly a national (or at least YC) team then they are pariahs.  If on the other hand you view the team as a business then they were successful in their marketing and branding. 
I support the nations concept of the AC, the recent trend of the YC being a shell corporation for a Corporate entity to use the AC brand as a piggy bank is abhorrent to Schuyler’s Deed of Gift.

You seem to view the past history of the AC through some fairly distorted, rose tinted glasses. While the NYYC might have had lofty ideals, much of the history of the AC has rich businessmen using the Cup to enhance their position and that of their company's. Consider, for example, Lipton's challenges. Those were about selling tea ands promoting his grocery stores, and elevating his position in society. He found a club who would support his challenge (Royal Yacht Squadron denied him entry until just before his death). Due to his challenges, he sold lots of tea in the USA and became friends with the King. That's just one example. And of course, during that era the sailors were rarely from the country the boat was representing. Schuyler would have laughed hard at the idea of placing nationality restrictions on the people who sailed the boats.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SimonN said:

You seem to view the past history of the AC through some fairly distorted, rose tinted glasses. While the NYYC might have had lofty ideals, much of the history of the AC has rich businessmen using the Cup to enhance their position and that of their company's. Consider, for example, Lipton's challenges. Those were about selling tea ands promoting his grocery stores, and elevating his position in society. He found a club who would support his challenge (Royal Yacht Squadron denied him entry until just before his death). Due to his challenges, he sold lots of tea in the USA and became friends with the King. That's just one example. And of course, during that era the sailors were rarely from the country the boat was representing. Schuyler would have laughed hard at the idea of placing nationality restrictions on the people who sailed the boats.

 

Australia II changed all that.

Australia II was very much a National team and was perceived that way in Australia. Australia II ended the Lipton/ billionaire businessman era of the AC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Ended the era of billionaires?  Larry, Ernesto etc not billionaires ? 

apparently not...... foreskin knows everything

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

Ended the era of billionaires?  Larry, Ernesto etc not billionaires ? 

He also forget about the  fracker, Bertelli and Turnquist. Besides, Alan Bond may not have been a billionaire, but he most certainly used the AC to promote the Cup, and the sails were of Kiwi design.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SimonN said:

You seem to view the past history of the AC through some fairly distorted, rose tinted glasses. While the NYYC might have had lofty ideals, much of the history of the AC has rich businessmen using the Cup to enhance their position and that of their company's. Consider, for example, Lipton's challenges. Those were about selling tea ands promoting his grocery stores, and elevating his position in society. He found a club who would support his challenge (Royal Yacht Squadron denied him entry until just before his death). Due to his challenges, he sold lots of tea in the USA and became friends with the King. That's just one example. And of course, during that era the sailors were rarely from the country the boat was representing. Schuyler would have laughed hard at the idea of placing nationality restrictions on the people who sailed the boats.

 

You can cherry pick your examples.  To be more specific, I will reference the post WWII era.  Pre WWII had some similarities to today but Lipton was promoting his business while campaigning.  The success of Lipton tea was a side benefit not the purpose.  Dalton and crew have reversed that philosophy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, sailman said:

You can cherry pick your examples.  To be more specific, I will reference the post WWII era.  Pre WWII had some similarities to today but Lipton was promoting his business while campaigning.  The success of Lipton tea was a side benefit not the purpose.  Dalton and crew have reversed that philosophy.

So ratty isn't green washing his business?

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, barfy said:

So ratty isn't green washing his business?

The 4x4, the hygenics, the hydrogen production, chemical manufacturing, clothing, hotels, F1 team , football teams  or the cyclists? ;-). It’s a multi layered question 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sunseeker said:

He also forget about the  fracker, Bertelli and Turnquist. Besides, Alan Bond may not have been a billionaire, but he most certainly used the AC to promote the Cup, and the sails were of Kiwi design.

The billionaires returned in the early 2000’s but the AC went through a period that was very much nationalistic. 87, 88, 92, and 95 were cycles where the teams were very much perceived as national teams. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sailman said:

You can cherry pick your examples.  To be more specific, I will reference the post WWII era.  Pre WWII had some similarities to today but Lipton was promoting his business while campaigning.  The success of Lipton tea was a side benefit not the purpose.  Dalton and crew have reversed that philosophy.

and hopefully they don't damage the cup in the process. Although there was certainly much to admire about TNZ, ETNZ, not so much.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Australia II ended the Lipton/ billionaire businessman era of the AC.

You're funny!!!

Yet Dalts is killing the cup because he's not a billionaire...

They need to just hurry up and lose to a proper billionaire!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

The billionaires returned in the early 2000’s but the AC went through a period that was very much nationalistic. 87, 88, 92, and 95 were cycles where the teams were very much perceived as national teams. 

Bill Koch will be devastated to learn he isn't a billionaire. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, porthos said:

Bill Koch will be devastated to learn he isn't a billionaire. 

We’ll that’s true. But the team was really seen as an American team. That team became the blue print for the Kiwi teams of 95 and 2000.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

We’ll that’s true. But the team was really seen as an American team. That team became the blue print for the Kiwi teams of 95 and 2000.

So by your logic (Ashby is a Kiwi) the Kiwi wins in 1995 and 2000 were really American wins. Got it.

More seriously, Koch was an one-off odd duck who wanted to win the cup for his own personal reasons. I'm not sure why you would consider America3 an exemplary "American" team, particularly when then alternative was Stars & Stripes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, porthos said:

So by your logic (Ashby is a Kiwi) the Kiwi wins in 1995 and 2000 were really American wins. Got it.

More seriously, Koch was an one-off odd duck who wanted to win the cup for his own personal reasons. I'm not sure why you would consider America3 an exemplary "American" team, particularly when then alternative was Stars & Stripes.

Well that escalated quickly! No one mentioned Ashby! You need to get off the meth.

Ashby is not an American. Team NZ isn’t American.

If you’ve watched the Team NZ 95 documentary, Coutts based the 95 Kiwi team off Koch’s blueprint for his team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Well that escalated quickly! No one mentioned Ashby! You need to get off the meth.

Ashby is not an American. Team NZ isn’t American.

If you’ve watched the Team NZ 95 documentary, Coutts based the 95 Kiwi team off Koch’s blueprint for his team. 

Lighten up, Francis. Your zeal causes you to miss the obvious (like the "More seriously" part of my post, which is a pretty good indication that what I just said wasn't serious). I don't think TNZ is American, and I was having fun -- admittedly at your expense -- in suggesting otherwise. 

My actual point was that there was nothing uniquely or even particularly "American" about Bill Koch's 1992 campaign. If anything, it was personal rather than collective -- he wanted to prove he could win the cup. That said, he ran a unique campaign and I can see why others might look at it. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, porthos said:

Lighten up, Francis. Your zeal causes you to miss the obvious (like the "More seriously" part of my post, which is a pretty good indication that what I just said wasn't serious). I don't think TNZ is American, and I was having fun -- admittedly at your expense -- in suggesting otherwise. 

My actual point was that there was nothing uniquely or even particularly "American" about Bill Koch's 1992 campaign. If anything, it was personal rather than collective -- he wanted to prove he could win the cup. That said, he ran a unique campaign and I can see why others might look at it. 

In 1992, Koch built four first-generation boats that were wildly different from each other. He also threw massive amounts of money into sail development.

This was essentially the same approach that Gardini took with Il Moro, which built five boats to Koch's four.

There may have been internal management characteristics in the A3  syndicate that served as a model for 1995, but it isn't perfectly clear what those were. The Asyndicate certainly had several top helmsmen to choose from, and winnowed their boats down to the best all-around defender.

Between them, Gardini and Koch set a new standard for how to spend money, by any metric.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, sailman said:

You can cherry pick your examples.  To be more specific, I will reference the post WWII era.  Pre WWII had some similarities to today but Lipton was promoting his business while campaigning.  The success of Lipton tea was a side benefit not the purpose.  Dalton and crew have reversed that philosophy.

Now who is cherry picking. You were the one who raised Schuyler. He died nearly 50 years before WWII. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Forourselves said:

The billionaires returned in the early 2000’s but the AC went through a period that was very much nationalistic. 87, 88, 92, and 95 were cycles where the teams were very much perceived as national teams. 

But surely you would include the latest cycles, after all ETNZ is such a national team how could you leave them out...

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ChairborneRanger said:

Great news indeed, one of the nicest guys in the sport too. Been wondering if he would join TNZ, but was not sure in what role. The article mentions dual helmsmen, that could be it.

They must be paying him peanuts though, as the jealous monkey brigade here seems to think TNZ is broke broke...

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Great news indeed, one of the nicest guys in the sport too. Been wondering if he would join TNZ, but was not sure in what role. The article mentions dual helmsmen, that could be it.

They must be paying him peanuts though, as the jealous monkey brigade here seems to think TNZ is broke broke...

 

Got nothing to do with the team being broke, if he wants to be involved he has zero choice.

Accept whatever peanuts the team offer or get back in the commentary box.

Oh wait, he could sail for one of the many emerging nation teams that are sprouting up all over the world. :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gissie said:

Got nothing to do with the team being broke, if he wants to be involved he has zero choice.

Accept whatever peanuts the team offer or get back in the commentary box.

Oh wait, he could sail for one of the many emerging nation teams that are sprouting up all over the world. :lol:

Let’s be honest, if you had a choice between teams that got their butts kicked, and the current 2 time back to back champions, any champion of the sport would choose Team NZ.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChairborneRanger said:

Also interesting that the team has been trying to get B&T signed up but they are not playing ball. It gives the impression that the venue choice is a big thing for them. Plus some ocean climate change thing they are passionate about.

Is Nat there because the team thinks the dynamic duo aren't coming back?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably likely that Glenn Ashby has called it a day in regards to AC duties and that’s left a space open for Outteridge to fit into the sailing team. Burling and Outteridge know each other inside out. Should make a great leadership team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, 33jesus said:

Also worth noting: NO has been more successful than P&B in SailGP. Could be something there?

If success in SailGP had anything to do with it, surely they’d sign Slingsby instead of Outteridge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Also interesting that the team has been trying to get B&T signed up but they are not playing ball. It gives the impression that the venue choice is a big thing for them. Plus some ocean climate change thing they are passionate about.

Is Nat there because the team thinks the dynamic duo aren't coming back?

Probably because Ashby has decided to call time on AC duties.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

If success in SailGP had anything to do with it, surely they’d sign Slingsby instead of Outteridge

Outteridge has a Kiwi wife, a home in Auckland and presumably residency. With the nationality rules he's a no-brainer. But I see what you're getting at SailGP success doesn't directly translate to the AC

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Outteridge has a Kiwi wife, a home in Auckland and presumably residency. With the nationality rules he's a no-brainer. But I see what you're getting at SailGP success doesn't directly translate to the AC

And apparently AC Success doesn't directly translate to SailGP.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Probably likely that Glenn Ashby has called it a day in regards to AC duties and that’s left a space open for Outteridge to fit into the sailing team. Burling and Outteridge know each other inside out. Should make a great leadership team.

Glenn wouldn't call it a day. He's ETNZ all the way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, barfy said:

Dual helm.

I'm not convinced that's the reason for NO's hire. Dual helm was good for starting with Jimmy on starboard making all the decisions on the return to the line - something he was very good at. With LR they weren't just dual helming, they were dual flying as well. In hindsight, LR admitted that going between those two roles wasn't always conducive to good decision making - hinting that they would possibly do it differently in future.

NO's role will probably be tuning up Pete's starting, as this was definitely a weakness last time. Obviously he would be a good match racing opponent as well. Signing him up denies him to any other team as well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Horn Rock said:

I'm not convinced that's the reason for NO's hire. Dual helm was good for starting with Jimmy on starboard making all the decisions on the return to the line - something he was very good at. With LR they weren't just dual helming, they were dual flying as well. In hindsight, LR admitted that going between those two roles wasn't always conducive to good decision making - hinting that they would possibly do it differently in future.

NO's role will probably be tuning up Pete's starting, as this was definitely a weakness last time. Obviously he would be a good match racing opponent as well. Signing him up denies him to any other team as well.

Agreed.  Also backup in case of injury or illness.  Might bring PB back down to earth as well.

What's NO like as a main trimmer?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gissie said:

Is Nat there because the team thinks the dynamic duo aren't coming back?

Prolly not. But, a nice insurance policy, incase they go for the BIG Euro bucks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gissie said:

Nat there because the team thinks the dynamic duo aren't coming back?

Crikey Gissie standing in the Mangawhai Tavern reading your post my legs have come over all wobbly like not due to the booze just the memories of 2003 please say it isn’t so….

Link to post
Share on other sites

Double or quits.. 

Double helm or Pete quits..  maybe the 2021 sail GP and Olympic experience has made Petes  pay masters re-evaluate his importance moving forward.  Harsh maybe but if NO did replace him it’s tough to argue against. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

I'm not convinced that's the reason for NO's hire. Dual helm was good for starting with Jimmy on starboard making all the decisions on the return to the line - something he was very good at. With LR they weren't just dual helming, they were dual flying as well. In hindsight, LR admitted that going between those two roles wasn't always conducive to good decision making - hinting that they would possibly do it differently in future.

NO's role will probably be tuning up Pete's starting, as this was definitely a weakness last time. Obviously he would be a good match racing opponent as well. Signing him up denies him to any other team as well.

Nationality clause ( as it stands) prevents other teams from getting him, I can’t believe he would sign up to be Peter’s  fluffer though 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites