37 minutes ago, Liquid said:

It's simple: Larry (or any other campaign in all of AC history) didn't need the venue to fund his campaigns!!!!

But he shopped it around anyway. Ineos appears content to see it shopped around. Bertarelli in his time shopped it around. Your thesis that these $Bs are wealthy enough not to care about extracting $$$s from venues doesn't stack up.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pissing down outside and yes, we are back to Level 3. To all those moaning and bitching about it and calling the PM childish names, get a grip, we are the luckiest people in the world right

Yes, quite light but I didn't see all the afternoon's sailing, can only comment on later in the day, when Britannia 2 was running a #1 jib and foiling around no problem. They look quite quick at times

After many hours of consideration, a lot of in-depth research on the SA technical threads, extensive computational modelling and a few quick & dirty minutes in Photoshop, I have produced this anal

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

But he shopped it around anyway. Ineos appears content to see it shopped around. Bertarelli in his time shopped it around. Your thesis that these $Bs are wealthy enough not to care about extracting $$$s from venues doesn't stack up.

So, all the other past campaigns depended on the venues to fund their campaigns?

2 hours ago, Liquid said:

So, all the other past campaigns depended on the venues to fund their campaigns?

In the grand scheme of things, yes. Without a venue there is no event, without an event there is no campaign. Without the required infrastructure, there is no venue. As rich as billionaires are, they don’t pay for the infrastructure required to host. Therefor the venue has to pay. For a venue to pay, they first need to be confident of a return on that infrastructure investment. This is why Valencia withdrew from the bidding for the current cycle, because they’re still in debt from 2007. The Darcena is sitting in dilapidated state with a huge 90ft catamaran sitting in a carpark that was “gifted” to their city. Bermuda invested approximately 77 million dollars into AC35. Auckland rumoured to be over 200 million. So are the billionaires dependent on venue money? Yes they are. No billionaire has covered the full cost (infrastructure costs, campaign costs, venue costs) of hosting an America’s Cup. 

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

In the grand scheme of things, yes. Without a venue there is no event, without an event there is no campaign. Without the required infrastructure, there is no venue. As rich as billionaires are, they don’t pay for the infrastructure required to host. Therefor the venue has to pay. For a venue to pay, they first need to be confident of a return on that infrastructure investment. This is why Valencia withdrew from the bidding for the current cycle, because they’re still in debt from 2007. The Darcena is sitting in dilapidated state with a huge 90ft catamaran sitting in a carpark that was “gifted” to their city. Bermuda invested approximately 77 million dollars into AC35. Auckland rumoured to be over 200 million. So are the billionaires dependent on venue money? Yes they are. No billionaire has covered the full cost (infrastructure costs, campaign costs, venue costs) of hosting an America’s Cup. 

There is sailboat racing taking place around the world 12 months a year and cities are not paying millions of millions of dollars to host these events.  You can have an event without all the bells and whistles that make the cost of hosting the event through the roof.  What has happened is that egos and greed have gotten in the way.

1 minute ago, Chobani Sailor said:

There is sailboat racing taking place around the world 12 months a year and cities are not paying millions of millions of dollars to host these events.  You can have an event without all the bells and whistles that make the cost of hosting the event through the roof.  What has happened is that egos and greed have gotten in the way.

Worse, those who have had the cash to make something happen spent lavishly, changed to foilers “because speed sells”, and the market has not responded. Looking at Russell, mostly. But Dalton bought into that same mentality, without Larry’s checkbook behind him. 

One thing we know does sell, and that’s sex. There is exactly zero sexy about Grant Dalton and his flock of sullen angry kiwis. 

11 minutes ago, Chobani Sailor said:

What has happened is that egos and greed have gotten in the way.

egos, greed, and weird boats. somebody's got to say it. these things with big lead levers are pretty odd. pretty fast sure. amazingly fast. but perhaps they've got too much under the hood. the simple purity of sailing may be obscured beneath all the gears and hydraulics.

oth. it's still a good show.

48 minutes ago, Chobani Sailor said:

Yes there is, but none of those events are trying to attract/ entice/ appeal to a wide/ wider audience as the AC is. Those events know what they are and what they’re trying to achieve. Most of the time it’s simply sailors competing against their peers away from the prying eyes of the unwashed masses. The AC is a made for TV entertainment spectacle. It is that way because at some stage the grey hair that dominates the sport currently is going to die off, and a new generation will carry the sport into the future. That generation is into speed, excitement, thrills and spills. That’s just the way it is. Gone are the days of old men in boat shoes sailing around at 9 knots of boat speed taking 2 hours to complete one race. Times have changed. The sport has evolved. 

28 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Yes there is, but none of those events are trying to attract/ entice/ appeal to a wide/ wider audience as the AC is. Those events know what they are and what they’re trying to achieve. Most of the time it’s simply sailors competing against their peers away from the prying eyes of the unwashed masses. The AC is a made for TV entertainment spectacle. It is that way because at some stage the grey hair that dominates the sport currently is going to die off, and a new generation will carry the sport into the future. That generation is into speed, excitement, thrills and spills. That’s just the way it is. Gone are the days of old men in boat shoes sailing around at 9 knots of boat speed taking 2 hours to complete one race. Times have changed. The sport has evolved. 

That's all fine except that it's not attracting a wider audience. Larryvision has been going 3 or 4 cycles now and isn't working. Otherwise we wouldn't still be here wondering where the next cup is going to be. 

4 hours ago, pusslicker said:

That's all fine except that it's not attracting a wider audience. Larryvision has been going 3 or 4 cycles now and isn't working. Otherwise we wouldn't still be here wondering where the next cup is going to be. 

I wouldn't say it isn't working. There are far more foiling classes than there was say, 10 years ago.

From the AC72, to the GC32, to the F50 to the Nacra to the Moth to the TF35 to the IMOCA 60 to the AC75, to the 69F foiling monohull to the Ultime Tri Marans that are now foiling. There is no denying foiling has caught on, thus giving it a larger audience.

5 hours ago, pusslicker said:

The problem is those that think the AC is built for TV. They are just insane to think that a challenge cup, with around a three/four year cycle can be a money maker.

Look at SAAC as an example. Those of us here are keen supporters of the cup. Yet, less than a year after the final there is only a smattering left and we head off into the weeds on a regular occasion.

How on earth can you keep a non sailing audience interested between events? No way I can see. Unless you change the whole idea.

Force nationality rules.

Force any future winner to abide by previous designs.

Sell the event to anyone willing to shell out the cash.

Oh wait, this is what is happening, yet it is still a country mile away from being a self sustaining event.

Its not about keeping people interested in the 4 years before. Its about giving them a reason to tune back in at race time.

The hardcore sailing audience will always stay. Guys like Dalts know that. They know the format, they know what matters and when it matters.

Right now, the politics doesn't matter. Ensuring the DoG is adhered to is what matters. The hardcore audience, as it always does, tunes in to the watch the train wreck that is the politics of the AC.

But once teams start arriving at the venue, and racing gets closer, thats when the casuals tune back in, and thats what Dalts wants. He doesn't care what happens now. What he cares about is producing a great event when it matters.

Once 

18 hours ago, Liquid said:

Larry and the City and San Francisco did not see eye to eye. He made offers to redevelop land, they told him to fuck off. So he did.

Wuzzer would know that the beach cats would break up like Steve Austin's test plane in 15 kt wind against tide in SF.

A non-starter.

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Lord Dalton and his Dandies main sponsor Emirates shifts focus from bombing schools babies and hospitals to slaughtering jailed prisoners.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/1/22/un-chief-calls-for-probe-into-saudi-led-air-raids-in-yemen

1EC353B1-E149-43DD-941C-EE648BFE8111.jpeg.670c64a3bb34eaa4be45d10c31952e1b.jpeg

At least Daltons not taking the blood money anymore and just letting them have their name on the team for free. It's a start.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

So you guys are in the Red Light District now, huh? Enjoy. 

clearly you've never walked the streets of  valparaiso............. thats a red light district to remember

On 1/23/2022 at 10:36 PM, 167149 said:

clearly you've never walked the streets of  valparaiso............. thats a red light district to remember

Or St Pauli's, Reeperbahn.

4 hours ago, trt131 said:

Whatabout Waking Street, Pattaya

Ha, ha. Don't know anything about that one, TRT. Do tell.... ;-

On 1/22/2022 at 9:46 PM, Priscilla said:

Lord Dalton and his Dandies main sponsor Emirates shifts focus from bombing schools babies and hospitals to slaughtering jailed prisoners.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/1/22/un-chief-calls-for-probe-into-saudi-led-air-raids-in-yemen

1EC353B1-E149-43DD-941C-EE648BFE8111.jpeg.670c64a3bb34eaa4be45d10c31952e1b.jpeg

you do realise Emirates airline is not from KSA?

35 minutes ago, shebeen said:

you do realise Emirates airline is not from KSA?

You need to get out more.

A Saudi-led military coalition has intensified attacks on what it has said are military targets linked to the Houthi rebel movement, after the Houthis conducted an unprecedented assault on coalition member the United Arab Emirates on Monday and launched missiles and drones at Saudi cities.

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2022/1/17/fires-in-abu-dhabi-houthis-announce-operation-deep-in-uae

5 hours ago, Priscilla said:

You need to get out more.

A Saudi-led military coalition has intensified attacks on what it has said are military targets linked to the Houthi rebel movement, after the Houthis conducted an unprecedented assault on coalition member the United Arab Emirates on Monday and launched missiles and drones at Saudi cities.

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2022/1/17/fires-in-abu-dhabi-houthis-announce-operation-deep-in-uae

good point, they bombed the wrong airport for Emirates airline though.

Found these ramblings in a reply to a Sailworld article re the AC37 Venue started by Jim Farmer. Obviously Jim has his point of view and I thought it interesting he would chat openly in a public environment. 

https://www.sail-world.com/news/245261/Americas-Cup-Pace-quickens-on-AC37-venue-choice

Jim Farmer
It's true, Bill, that Grant and I fell out in San Francisco in 2013 after I took the side of the crew who asked me to request Grant to give up his grinding position on the boat. After that, I took no interest in Team NZ and it took no interest in me until it was revealed in mid-2020 that Team NZ had appointed UK agents to find an off-shore event for AC37 if the Cup was successfully defended in AC36. At that point, I used my "rambling" blog to point out what most New Zealanders think - there is a moral obligation to this country that is being ignored here. My daring to say the obvious has since been described by Grant as a "vendetta" going back to SanFran. Amazing that it took a whole 7 years for it to emerge.
Am I jealous of Grant's undoubted success, as you suggest, Bill? Well actually Grant and I don't compete with each other - I'm happy with the success that I've had in my chosen career, as I'm sure Grant is (and rightly so) in his.
I think I need to find something more useful to do when I'm on holiday!
All the best for 2022, Bill.
Jim Farmer
Like · Reply · 3w
250572743_4499368433476153_8111989497596

Bill Clemett
Same to you Jim for 2022. I personally think the only moral obligation Grant has to retain the Cup for New Zealand and not necessarily in New Zealand if needs-must. In a world of cashed up billionaires and ego's assembling the might of F1 to take it from us in 2024, Dalton and ETNZ has to leverage where it can. My belief is most Kiwi's understand this basic concept as being part of the history of the Americas Cup. Kiwis want the win!
Like · Reply · 3w
143086968_2856368904622192_1959732218791

Jim Farmer
I was wondering what Bill Clemett - who needs to learn that has-been is not a type of bean - thinks my agenda is? Trying to persuade Team NZ to honour its moral obligation to the people of NZ to defend the Cup in Auckland so that it is Auckland rather than Cork or some other foreign city that reaps the economic benefits that are predicted? It's a bit like repaying your debts. Or giving something back for what you've taken out.
Jim Farmer
Like · Reply · 1 · 3w

Bill Clemett
If anyone wants to know what the Auckland QC Jim Farmers bitter agenda against Dalton is, click on his rambling biased commentary @jamesfarmerQC. Here he cherry- picks facts to suit himself, lies by omissions and regularly snipes from the sideline using half truths and inuendo. He is obviously very jealous of Grant Dalton and his considerable success.

Bruno Troublé
Well done Richard !
I wish the Cup to be defended in New Zealand but if it is impossible, Cork seems to be an ideal venue!
I don't understand all the aggressive and bitter comments against Dalt. He is Team NZLD's MAIN assett !
Without him, Shoeb and Matteo, there would have been absolutely NO celebration over the last 15 years!

If Cork is finally picked, I mmediately jump in a plane to discover the venue and help !!
Like · Reply · 1 · 3w

Mark Holland
I agree that Cork would be a great venue from the perspective of developing new legions of fans from Ireland, GB, France, Spain, Switzerland, the Netherlands and of course, the USA. Travel time and population distribution seems to favor Cork over either Auckland or Saudi
Like · Reply · 2w

Bill Clemett
I totally agree with Duncan Heather. The game has changed and people like J Farmer are has- beans pushing their own agenda.
Richard Gladwell is calling it correctly and the sabre rattlers will fade away once they have to put their own money up. Good work Richard.
Like · Reply · 3w

Jim Farmer
I have great respect for this column and for Richard Gladwell in particular. However, I am astonished at the legal opinion (if that's what it is) expressed in the column that "Emirates Team New Zealand is a private team and not a NZ representative team in the way that the All Blacks were in 1985" and that trade between New Zealand and Saudi means that a legal action "is believed unlikely to succeed". (Believed by whom? And does huge public funding and support of Team NZ over many years not undermine the claim to being a "private team"?). The point about the All Blacks litigation was that tSee more
Like · Reply · 3 · 3w
22089933_10156133502427841_5053155382538

BB Jones
They need to stop calling it Team New Zealand... With Daulton selling the defence to the highest bidder, he's considered a trator to NZ by many.

I think he is significantly underestimating the backlash that will occur when he takes it offshore and in all probability loses it.

He doesn't seem to understand that sport is about honour.

3 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

I used my "rambling" blog to point out what most New Zealanders think - there is a moral obligation to this country that is being ignored here.

Sadly for Jim, he based his forlorn hope attack on GD and TNZ, based on his incorrect assumption above.

Arrogant twat.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Sadly for Jim, he based his forlorn hope attack on GD and TNZ, based on his incorrect assumption above.

Arrogant twat.

Man, I wish Farmer would be imprisoned and take Clown Car Dunphy with him!

13 hours ago, terrafirma said:

They need to stop calling it Team New Zealand... With Daulton selling the defence to the highest bidder, he's considered a trator to NZ by many.

I think he is significantly underestimating the backlash that will occur when he takes it offshore and in all probability loses it.

hoho.

this seems quite clear to me also. but others think it's all about winning. or running a business. or being a successful CEO and growing your business, etc.

that's right. perhaps the TNZ lingers just as the E does - in loyalty to brand supporters gone by.

or perhaps it was just in the contract.

1 hour ago, floater said:

Bugger. And here's me thinking the AC is all about successfully winning and defending.

• Like 5
17 minutes ago, floater said:

that's right. perhaps the TNZ lingers just as the E does - in loyalty to brand supporters gone by.

or perhaps it was just in the contract.

You're getting hot (Mr Clew probably thinks you always were!)

Team New Zealand Limited was established as a registered company in 1993.

4 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Bugger. And here's me thinking the AC is all about successfully winning and defending.

All about. No. History won't treat LE kindly. As for GD, ain't looking good.

3 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

here's me thinking the AC is all about successfully winning

you do. I don't.

was the SDYC humiliated when they lost to TNZ? no. it's actually quite ridiculous.

1 minute ago, dogwatch said:

All about. No. History won't treat LE kindly. As for GD, ain't looking good.

Bit premature there, Doggie. If GD pulls off an AC37 three-peat, he'll be as famous as Lemon & Paeroa.

16 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

You're getting hot (Mr Clew probably thinks you always were!)

Team New Zealand Limited was established as a registered company in 1993.

Sorry, Floater. Incorrect attribution. My bad.

6 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

I see. I had to look up Lemon & Paeroa. So, not actually very famous then.

World famous in New Zealand. It's a Kiwi thing. ;-)

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

The AC is about friendly competition between nation. At least that's what the governing document says 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

The AC is about friendly competition between nation. At least that's what the governing document says 

But the Government doesn't say it has to be held in your Home Waters. That is the Issue Mr. Farmer QC can't get over!

11 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Exactly. The Governing document does NOT say Team NZ MUST defend in NZ. Nor does it it say all teams must only be financed from money that comes only from their home nation.

As long as the DoG is satisfied, everything else can be governed by MC. That is all that matters. All the talk of “honour” is pure BS. It’s funny because there has been zero complaints by any of the challengers regarding pretty much anything. The only complaints have come from spectators of the event and bitter trolls on Sailing Anarchy. 

• Like 1

"The only complaints have come from spectators of the event and bitter trolls on Sailing Anarchy."

Then why care so much about meaningless complaints?  Is providing meaningless rebuttals to meaningless complaints a raison d'etre?  Wouldn't human rights or climate or local zoning issues be better use of time and energy?

3 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

"The only complaints have come from spectators of the event and bitter trolls on Sailing Anarchy."

Then why care so much about meaningless complaints?  Is providing meaningless rebuttals to meaningless complaints a raison d'etre?  Wouldn't human rights or climate or local zoning issues be better use of time and energy?

Because human rights, and climate change are less important than the glorification of GD. Used to include B&T but they have been erased from the picture like some disgraced communist leader

• Like 1
4 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

It would be, if this was Political Anarchy, but it’s not is it. It’s Americas Cup Anarchy. If you want to discuss political issues, take it to PA. Politics and human rights issues are a discussion for another pace and another time. Where the Americas Cup Has been or will be held, has not and will not change the worlds response to human rights issues. It’s a futile discussion.

4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

It would be, if this was Political Anarchy, but it’s not is it. It’s Americas Cup Anarchy. If you want to discuss political issues, take it to PA. Politics and human rights issues are a discussion for another pace and another time. Where the Americas Cup Has been or will be held, has not and will not change the worlds response to human rights issues. It’s a futile discussion.

But is this the best and highest use of your time and energy? Rebutting things that don't matter on a website that has no real impact on the real players? 

4 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

But the Government doesn't say it has to be held in your Home Waters. That is the Issue Mr. Farmer QC can't get over!

It’s not about home waters you dumbfuck! It’s about the fact the NZL government has put up nearly 500 million kiwi pesos for the AC team, and it would be nice if Dalton didn’t turn his back on his primary supporter! 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

But is this the best and highest use of your time and energy? Rebutting things that don't matter on a website that has no real impact on the real players? 

He funny thing he says he’s not looking for acceptance or attention, yet he probably comments more here than the next three most prolific posters combined. He’s addicted. And also the biggest asshole to ever burden this place. 

24 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

My team matters to me. My team I have supported through thick and thin. Through high times and low times. Through times of celebration and times of devastation. so yes, it’s worth my time. Now I put it back to you - and many others, you claim to not care but spend all day posting baseless, bitter, false and defamatory comments about GD, about ETNZ, of Feb about NZ, Kiwi’s and everything that is AC37. I care about the subject matter, where it seems the trolls don’t. They do it just to get a rise, a reaction. So who’s wasting their time here?

20 minutes ago, sunseeker said:

He funny thing he says he’s not looking for acceptance or attention, yet he probably comments more here than the next three most prolific posters combined. He’s addicted. And also the biggest asshole to ever burden this place. 

Pft, fuck off dickhead. My team matters to me. Just because the trolls like you here can’t grow a pair and pick a team to “support” but will bag Team NZ at every turn shows how gutless and weak they/ you are. I don’t need, want or look for acceptance from ANYBODY here. The fact that I comment “prolifically” as you say is testament to that. I will dispute and refute any false, baseless and/ or defamatory comment against my team from anybody. Including pricks like you. 

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

My team matters to me. My team I have supported through thick and thin. Through high times and low times. Through times of celebration and times of devastation. so yes, it’s worth my time. Now I put it back to you - and many others, you claim to not care but spend all day posting baseless, bitter, false and defamatory comments about GD, about ETNZ, of Feb about NZ, Kiwi’s and everything that is AC37. I care about the subject matter, where it seems the trolls don’t. They do it just to get a rise, a reaction. So who’s wasting their time here?

I cannot care  unreservedly about my "national" team because of past and current ownership. I do care about the technology. But I also like to analyze businesses and Grant Dalton Racing is an interesting one. Beats playing wordle.

On 1/29/2022 at 3:27 PM, terrafirma said:

The America's Cup has only a passing resemblance to sport.  The sports people involved are only some of the workers in the team.

The America's Cup is a business and the defender understands that, some of the challengers might think differently but they are only customers and still learning about the business.

• Like 5
  • Downvote 1
5 hours ago, Terry Hollis said:

The America's Cup is a business and the defender understands that, some of the challengers might think differently but they are only customers and still learning about the business.

That is hazy thinking. The America’s Cup is not a business. It is a large and rather ugly piece of silverware with a deed that defines how a yacht club may challenge to win it. The Deed’s author certainly regarded that in sporting terms. 

You are confusing the AC with the teams that clubs may associate with in the challenge/defence process. Such a team might be a business. Even that is a questionable  characterisation in practice.  An entity that consumes its entire financial resources by the end of each activity cycle is not most people’s idea of a business. AFAIK my pension is not invested in such an entity. “Business”, to most people, implies some notion of profit, growth and continuity. In most circles, taking a large pile of fivers off rich people and intentionally converting them to ash would not be thought of as a sound business.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dogwatch said:

That is hazy thinking. The America’s Cup is not a business.

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

More like a glorious quest than a business, I should think.

45 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Only without much glory. At least outside NZ

Let's settle for a monkey business.

That will make everybody happy.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Let's settle for a monkey business.

That might explain why Tuke and Burling are yet to sign up. They've been offered peanuts.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Terry Hollis said:

compliments, I find your view breathtaking in its unwholesomeness. 

• Downvote 1
20 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

The AC is about friendly competition between nation.

so what happens when the AC becomes unfriendly. and not between nations? 

for the very first time - I really want the cup to change hands. it is not currently being well cared for. at all.

45 minutes ago, floater said:

for the very first time - I really want the cup to change hands. it is not currently being well cared for. at all.

Then weapons speak.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, floater said:

At least this time they haven't flattened it yet. 

gettyimages-56091852-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.4468e8a55d7da632c3c15f46a81b4805.jpg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, floater said:

Yeah. It would be much better off in the hands of some $quillionaire. It couldn't be any worse could it?

Ah. No wait.....

2 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Time to build a bridge and get over it. This was a long time ago

Fake news. Never happened. ;-)

• Like 1

A business is fundementally an expected stream of future cash-flows and with the appropriate interest rate rate, you can make the conversion of a stream of cash-flows into a Net Present Value.

Then it comes about the probability of such a stream of cash flow to exist. If the AC 40 formula and The SailGP AC 50 are more or less similar concepts, and can be put into competition, then the question becomes which one will still be here in 10 years ???

Just an remark

5 hours ago, floater said:

What happens when the AC becomes unfriendly? 2013. A drawn out court case, no challengers, a stupidly expensive class of boat, a dead sailor, a disintegrated boat, rule breaches, cheating, Coast guard interference and TV schedules dictating race length costing teams the cup. That’s what happens.

3 minutes ago, Erwankerauzen said:

A business is fundementally an expected stream of future cash-flows and with the appropriate interest rate rate, you can make the conversion of a stream of cash-flows into a Net Present Value.

Then it comes about the probability of such a stream of cash flow to exist. If the AC 40 formula and The SailGP AC 50 are more or less similar concepts, and can be put into competition, then the question becomes which one will still be here in 10 years ???

Just an remark

Seems like this misses the fact that most businesses actually do have competition long term. And it's usually a good thing. It indicates that there is actually a market, and it makes the business work harder. And it creates a dynamic that is important for the health of the industry.

38 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Of the four countries that have held stewardship of the Cup, it was only damaged while in the trusteeship of one country. And it wasn't some foreigner that did the damage.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, pusslicker said:

At least this time they haven't flattened it yet. 

That chaps motivation was of course that none of the money would reach the Maori so it was a symbol of oppression. This time the money won't even get to the same continent, so best not let him in again

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

What happens when the AC becomes unfriendly? 2013. A drawn out court case, no challengers, a stupidly expensive class of boat, a dead sailor, a disintegrated boat, rule breaches, cheating, Coast guard interference and TV schedules dictating race length costing teams the cup. That’s what happens.

7 hours ago, accnick said:

Of the four countries that have held stewardship of the Cup, it was only damaged while in the trusteeship of one country. And it wasn't some foreigner that did the damage.

Funny that. It was an indigenous person protesting the pedestal white, rich, elite sailors are put up on while the indigenous people suffer. What he did was wrong. The reason is justified. Yet you still want the AC held in Auckland

5 hours ago, pusslicker said:

I’m well over it by now. Kiwis got over it when we killed off Larry Ellison and his Oracle Team AUS. We even took a day off and came out in the pissing rain to celebrate the occasion! 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Gissie said:

I thought he was going to bleat about the '88 campaign.

Nah that was a dumbass move by Fay. It was an ambush campaign that failed because Fay had tunnel vision. NZs fortunes changed when guys like Blake and Dalton, who knew what they were/ are doing took over from the businessmen and lawyers who ran NZs campaigns at that time.