• Replies 20.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pissing down outside and yes, we are back to Level 3. To all those moaning and bitching about it and calling the PM childish names, get a grip, we are the luckiest people in the world right

Yes, quite light but I didn't see all the afternoon's sailing, can only comment on later in the day, when Britannia 2 was running a #1 jib and foiling around no problem. They look quite quick at times

They towed out around 11am and the breeze was light and puffy to start with. Foiled down the Channel and headed out to the Bays. The breeze started to build around midday and they got some long runs i

Posted Images

This interview is a touch nerdy but if you have time then I recommend it anyway. From late October. Scroll to around 15m for more AC-specific; and to around 54m for his response to the AM wipeout. It's an hour long, audio.

012: Formula 1 On The Water — AC75 America's Cup Wiring With Peter Knight (hpa-tunedin.com)

In this fascinating episode of High Performance Academy's Tuned In podcast, we head off on a real tangent as America's Cup electrical engineer Peter Knight — a member of this year's winning Emirates Team New Zealand syndicate — drops by the studio to give us some insight into the high-stakes world of top-tier boat racing.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, JonRowe said:

Sounds like ETNZ are providing the people power for design of the foils and build, but the propulsion technology is coming from sponsors. Seems like a neat way to retain your design and build team between cycles.

Bingo.

I wonder if Toyota will supply the systems to the other teams too? Or are those teams required to pay for them, should they go the Toyota route too? And would that involve maybe also having to pay ETNZ's builders produce them? They would essentially be paying to support ETNZ's Toyota sponsor - and to also support ETNZ.

There are other hydrogen foiler boat initiatives out there, including a Paul Bieker-designed 'ferry' coming to Seattle some day, also hydro-powered, but this Toyota is obviously a purpose-built design for AC75 support (and yes, pretty dang nice).   

More on (pun) the chase boat

The prototype foiling boat is 10 metres in length, and approximately 5200kg displacement, the cruising speed will be 30-35 knots with a top speed of around 50 knots and will carry 6 crew members with a range of between 150-180km generating approximately 440kW peak power via a 400V DC system powered by the Hydrogen Fuel Cell.

... the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Powertrain installation is underway at the team’s base in Auckland’s Viaduct Harbour

Do they intend to squat there until Jacinda evicts them?

1 hour ago, Xlot said:

Do they intend to squat there until Jacinda evicts them?

The events centre is of little use to the public until COVID restrictions allow for groups of more than 100 persons to congregate.

8 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

https://emirates-team-new-zealand.americascup.com/en/news/538_EMIRATES-TEAM-NEW-ZEALAND-HYDROGEN-FOILING-CHASE-BOAT-IN-FITOUT-PREPARING-FOR-LAUNCH.html

Chase boat being prepared for launch. Wonder how much this actually costs TeamGD?  Are they paying their bills?

Thanks for the link, and if you read the link you will find half the answer to your question. The other half will be from all their other resources, and the Challenger teams deposits.

30 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

A New Zealander has just won the Gold Medal in Snowboard Slopestyle Contest!

Zoi Sadowski-Synnott. Well done, Zoi. Congratulations.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Stuff is supplied but somebody has to assemble and build it? 

Sure, and design and organize it, and of course somebody has to pay or finance it.

But afaik, Etnz is not broke or into liquidation, their team is solid and very happy with the Challenger of Record and 3 other strong Challengers. And despite all the silly hate posters here, they have strong and often long standing sponsors. as well as the continuing support of powerfull and philanthropic friends like Stephen Tindall and Mateo de Nora, amongst others. And lots of good karma, even with their government and NZ supporters... :)

• Like 4
40 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Zoi Sadowski-Synnott. Well done, Zoi. Congratulations.

First Olympic Winter Games Gold Medal ever for New Zealand! Quite some feat to do that!

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Sure, and design and organize it, and of course somebody has to pay or finance it.

But afaik, Etnz is not broke or into liquidation, their team is solid and very happy with the Challenger of Record and 3 other strong Challengers. And despite all the silly hate posters here, they have strong and often long standing sponsors. as well as the continuing support of powerfull and philanthropic friends like Stephen Tindall and Mateo de Nora, amongst others. And lots of good karma, even with their government and NZ supporters... :)

ETNZ will be just fine I think! They shouldn't be forced to hold the Event in Home Waters if they don't want to.

You definitly could argue that the America's Cup is ranked 3rd among Major Sporting Events after the Olympics & the Soccer World Cup and Dalton realized this hence he is trying to find a suitable Host Venue where everyone can watch & attend Time Zone wise and not at the far end of the World.

4 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

First Olympic Winter Games Gold Medal ever for New Zealand! Quite some feat to do that!

Yeah but she was born in Sydney. Just like in the AC the Kiwis need Australian talent to win! :D

Nah, just kidding, it was an amazing run and a well deserved Gold. Congrats to NZ with the Gold and Bronze to Oz...

4 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

You definitly could argue that the America's Cup is ranked 3rd among Major Sporting Events after the Olympics & the Soccer World Cup 

Only if you were a complete idiot.

Oh. As you were, carry on

• Like 6
6 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

ETNZ will be just fine I think! They shouldn't be forced to hold the Event in Home Waters if they don't want to.

You definitly could argue that the America's Cup is ranked 3rd among Major Sporting Events after the Olympics & the Soccer World Cup and Dalton realized this hence he is trying to find a suitable Host Venue where everyone can watch & attend Time Zone wise and not at the far end of the World.

You could argue that the America’s Cup is the 3rd biggest sporting event and you’d be flat out wrong and prove beyond a shadow of a doubt you have no idea what you are talking about!!!!!!

• Like 3

For a start you have omitted the Tour de France. That can attract up to 3 million people a day watching from the roadside, i.e. actually attending the event live. Average total live spectators 12 million people. Average tv audience 3.5 Billion. And unlike the Olympics, the World Cup and the Americas Cup....it's every year, not every four.

29 minutes ago, kiwin said:

For a start you have omitted the Tour de France. That can attract up to 3 million people a day watching from the roadside, i.e. actually attending the event live. Average total live spectators 12 million people. Average tv audience 3.5 Billion. And unlike the Olympics, the World Cup and the Americas Cup....it's every year, not every four.

The Tour de France has lost its juice a long time ago. I used to follow it but stopped watching it since all the gazillion of Doping Scandals started in the late 1990ties.

The Media has already nicknamed the Winner of the last two years Tadej Pogacar as "Pogstrong" in relation to Lance Armstrong.

10 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Clearly the most dominant, most successful country at the Winter Olympics based off population density/funding etc. 

well done though (to her) 

12 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

You definitly could argue that the America's Cup is ranked 3rd among Major Sporting Events after the Olympics & the Soccer World Cup

Based on what metric?

5 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Clearly the most dominant, most successful country at the Winter Olympics based off population density/funding etc. 

well done though (to her) 

How's GB going on the leaderboard bud? :P

Not a clue, don’t follow the Winter Olympics particularly, no I don’t give a fuck  about football either so you can keep that one on the back burner when Ingerlund get fucked out of the next World Cup in the first week. 

and yes Scotland winning yesterday in the Rugby was a touch painful.

• Like 1
On 2/5/2022 at 7:40 AM, JALhazmat said:

Great interview, 

debunks a few myths concerning his Britishness. ;-) 

I just listened to that interview. It was great.

Definitely debunked a few myths - such as Dan re-clarifying to the flat-eathers again that the AC72 "rules were written to prevent foiling" ;-) Also that other teams' designers emailed him directly, believing it had to have been photoshopped.

I missed the part about his Britishness, but I did note his emphatic declaration of NZ being his lifelong home.

"I love New Zealand, and I love the team, and I have no plans to leave either. And when eventually they kick me out of Team New Zealand, I suspect I'll find my retirement here in New Zealand and be very happy here".

Bless :-)

• Like 3

Rode into town today, and went past the base (public holiday today).

PXL_20220206_212140112.jpeg.1dc692d0fb29b9966f71b3f03901590b.jpeg

Interesting to note two different foil arms and foils sitting at the entrance. Given the robust trim-tabby thing on the one in the foreground, I suspected these were/are candidates for the chase boat, but that boat does not appear to use t-foils like this at all.

So perhaps these are old AC-75 foils? The one at the back has a forward position and two-tone paint reminiscent of Te Aihe's livery?

On the second foil - in the foreground. Upon closer inspection, the flat trim-tap sitting under the foil, could just be a very solid holder/mount?

751910948_ScreenShot2022-02-07at1_11_19PM.thumb.png.98444ab27378eab937f293184449d19a.png723306067_ScreenShot2022-02-07at1_11_54PM.thumb.png.f30ecf74ecd449e03613685730664c14.png

• Like 6
1 hour ago, rh3000 said:

Also that other teams' designers emailed him directly, believing it had to have been photoshopped.

Funny, I remember that first photo of them foiling their AC72 and some here did question if it was Shopped :) I may have been curious too but (patting myself on the back) had been questioning for months (actually, for years dating back to the even DoG Match) before if they might foil. 

Yes, a very big gamble/decision by ETNZ and yes, Oracle had to scramble!

Super-cool interview.

Re-purposing comes to mind. I suspect the cutouts are the ballast pockets when they were being used on the AC  75. They are spaces for corrector weights to get the weight and CG of the finished foil correct.

Technically what you are looking at there is the foil wing, not the foil arm. Even the vertical portion is foil wing.

The Tour de France has lost its juice a long time ago. I used to follow it but stopped watching it since all the gazillion of Doping Scandals started in the late 1990ties.

The Media has already nicknamed the Winner of the last two years Tadej Pogacar as "Pogstrong" in relation to Lance Armstrong.

As usual, if we take the opposite view to you, we are likely to be correct. Although there is a bit of discussion as to the exact viewing numbers, the long term trend for viewers of TdF has been upwards for some time. Overall interest is increasing and more countries are taking live links. Considered by most to be the 3rd most watched event after the Olympics and Soccer World Cup, there is a view that it is actually the biggest if you take into account the numbers who watch over a similar 4 year cycle of the other big events.

I didn't see this in the coverage, and Google doesn't seem to find anything particularly relevant. Care to post a link?

I mean, I understand the attitude about doping in the TDF. I guess you should probably be suspicious of the AC athletes, since they don't even have random testing. I have accepted that some cheating happens, and I enjoy following anyway. I also still can't quite believe that none of the Astros have been banned or really punished in any way.

38 minutes ago, nroose said:

I guess you should probably be suspicious of the AC athletes, since they don't even have random testing.

Don't they? When did that stop?

10 minutes ago, SimonN said:

Don't they? When did that stop?

I guess I could be wrong about that. At one point I tried to find out and found no evidence that it was being done.

2 minutes ago, nroose said:

I guess I could be wrong about that. At one point I tried to find out and found no evidence that it was being done.

Drug testing began in the cycle leading up to AC31 (2003). In 2008 Simon Daubney was banned for 2 years following a failed drugs test at AC32. Nobody has been caught out since, but I believe drug testing has continued. If an event is sanctioned by either World Sailing or a l;ocal national authority (Yachting NZ), then it comes under WADA rules.

19 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

No they don't, maybe you're reading it in a dark corner of the internet where the media is spelt with a capital letter. 

TdF is going from strength to strength, even got way more interesting since Ineos have lost their grip on it. Tune in on the 14th of July 2022 if you don't believe me to see how big it is.

• Like 1
On 2/5/2022 at 6:37 PM, NeedAClew said:

https://emirates-team-new-zealand.americascup.com/en/news/538_EMIRATES-TEAM-NEW-ZEALAND-HYDROGEN-FOILING-CHASE-BOAT-IN-FITOUT-PREPARING-FOR-LAUNCH.html

Chase boat being prepared for launch. Wonder how much this actually costs TeamGD?  Are they paying their bills?

image.png.09159ba2caf9532d4c37bb13015ad283.png

i understand it will be quick, but what does it actually do?

doesn't look so handy at picking sailors off the water or swapping stuff out.

so you'll still need a massive RIB with a pile of outboards on the back.

11 minutes ago, shebeen said:

i understand it will be quick, but what does it actually do?

doesn't look so handy at picking sailors off the water or swapping stuff out.

so you'll still need a massive RIB with a pile of outboards on the back.

They don't swap out gear or sailors at speed, but you need speed to be a chase boat for training (which ETNZ did, using a rib as a fake AC72 to test against), for coaching (so you can see what the sailors are doing) and ideally you want an enclosed space for the engineers to run their gear in. So this replaces the protector style semi enclosed ribs they used for that, equally during racing you can have coaches and food and all that jazz in this boat just fine, plus I seem to recall a lot of the on water event management was done from "not rib" boats.

For picking up / carrying gear you'd want a rib but that doesn't have to be AC-75 levels of fast, a normal one is fine. Plus if it cuts down the numbers of ribs (you're not getting a huge amount of gear on the technical support boat that has heaps of people on, theres no space on them either).

2 hours ago, shebeen said:

No they don't, maybe you're reading it in a dark corner of the internet where the media is spelt with a capital letter. 

TdF is going from strength to strength, even got way more interesting since Ineos have lost their grip on it. Tune in on the 14th of July 2022 if you don't believe me to see how big it is.

Wrong! The last Event in 2021 was decided on the 1st Mountain Stage hence the comparision to Armstrong!

Genesis' Heathaze just came up on my homeworking musical accompaniment and I realise that they wrote about this situation:

Beware the fisherman who's casting out his line
Into a dried up river bed
But don't try to tell him 'cos he won't believe you
Throw some bread to the ducks instead, it's easier that way

Clearly GD is the fishermen casting where the funding has dried up. Which makes 4idiot a duck- don't forget to throw him some bread

2 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Genesis' Heathaze just came up on my homeworking musical accompaniment and I realise that they wrote about this situation:

Clearly GD is the fishermen casting where the funding has dried up. Which makes 4idiot a duck- don't forget to throw him some bread

That would make you the guy in the back, standing in Daltons shadow, all bitter and jealous wishing you were half the fisherman Dalton is.

2 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

You've got to be more careful choosing which mushrooms to pick on your Sunday ramble.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Wrong! The last Event in 2021 was decided on the 1st Mountain Stage hence the comparision to Armstrong!

I thought you stopped following it in the late 90s? Bit odd to be adding some expert analysis now.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, floater said:

so. you must have been joking then?

Very much

was echoing the proclamations made about the NZ Olympic sailing lot, as being the bestest most fantastic medalists ever… 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, rh3000 said:

751910948_ScreenShot2022-02-07at1_11_19PM.thumb.png.98444ab27378eab937f293184449d19a.png723306067_ScreenShot2022-02-07at1_11_54PM.thumb.png.f30ecf74ecd449e03613685730664c14.png

This is the most interesting thing that's happened around here in months.

Would be really interesting to see the opposite side of the foil arm to better understand the attachment mechanism. But still really cool to see which part of the over all foil assembly was interchangeable.

Two possible hyrdo connections on the trailing edge wing / arm intersection? fiber optic sensor cables coiled?

Nice shots.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, atwinda said:

This is the most interesting thing that's happened around here in months.

Would be really interesting to see the opposite side of the foil arm to better understand the attachment mechanism. But still really cool to see which part of the over all foil assembly was interchangeable.

Two possible hyrdo connections on the trailing edge wing / arm intersection? fiber optic sensor cables coiled?

Nice shots.

Agreed, super-interesting photos!

Any ideas about if the flaps were actuated electronically or using hydro?

1 hour ago, shebeen said:

I thought you stopped following it in the late 90s? Bit odd to be adding some expert analysis now.

I just read that in the Evening News last July. Still, TdF should be cancelled for the next 50 years. It's not fair Sport, there is Doping all over the place.

1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

Very much

was echoing the proclamations made about the NZ Olympic sailing lot, as being the bestest most fantastic medalists ever… 

How many other Olympic gold medalists can say they’ve won the AC back to back? AFAIK The only other is Russell Coutts. 

5 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I just read that in the Evening News last July. Still, TdF should be cancelled for the next 50 years. It's not fair Sport, there is Doping all over the place.

Certainly plenty of dopes commenting about it. 

• Like 1

https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/americas-cup-economic-impact-felt-throughout-nz

America's Cup economic impact felt throughout NZ

A report into the economic impact of the 1999-2000 America's Cup Regatta shows that such large-scale events have a spin-off which benefits the whole country, Prime Minister Helen Clark and Minister for the America's Cup Trevor Mallard said today.

Doug Fairgray's report, commissioned by the Office of Tourism and Sport and launched this morning, suggests that the America's Cup regatta generated $640 million of economic activity in New Zealand.

The impact for the Auckland region made up $473 million of the total value added.

"The Report provides a rigorous analysis of the amount and distribution of value added and employment associated with the additional spending generated by the America's Cup regatta," Trevor Mallard said.

"It is a very valuable resource document which helps the Government, the business community, sponsors and suppliers to assess and measure the economic impacts from such a huge international event.

"The government is now working with Team New Zealand to ensure that the next America's Cup regatta is successful, with economic benefits for the whole country."

"The national pride which winning this year's challenge created was evident following the historic win. Doug Fairgray's report illustrates the massive economic spin-offs," said Helen Clark.

"While Auckland gained enormously, it's good to know that the flow-on effects benefited the country as a whole."

TOPLINE RESULTS

Summary of Conclusions

1.The America's Cup Regatta was an important economic event for the Auckland Region and for New Zealand.

2.It generated $640 million of value added in the New Zealand economy.

3.It generated $473 million of value added in the economy of the Auckland region.

4.The Report measures "net" economic activity and does not include expenditure that would have taken place even without the Regatta.

5.The Report is based on 10,600 interviews with international and domestic visitors, 360 business surveys and 70 in-depth interviews with - key informants to help estimate the magnitude and distribution of expenditure for the duration of the event.

6.The Report identified the net additional expenditure in the economy. A share of this is additional direct value added. The study measured the direct value added, and also the flow on effects of this through the economy, to identify total value added – a measure broadly equivalent to GDP. From this, it was possible to identify the total value added generated from the spend by each sector. Major impacts arose from spending by
*Syndicates ($149.2 million)
*Regatta organisers and sponsors activity ($44.3 million)
*Infrastructure & Government ($130.9 million)
*Superyachts ($118 million)
*Media ($12.8 million)
*International Visitors ($164 million)
*Spending by businesses ($20.2 million)

7.The report also identified where the spending was directed, to show the value added impacts generated from the extra activity in each sector of the economy. Major impacts arose from the extra activity:

*Marine sector$126.7 million
*Transport $79.6 million
*Construction $91.7 million
*Accommodation $64.2 million
*Restaurant & hospitality $51.3 million
*Retail $56.8 million
*Entertainment & leisure $33.2 million
*Media & Communications $23.6 million
*Government $34.4 million
*Business & Households $29.9 million
*Other $48.1 million

8.The additional activity sustained 10,620 full time equivalent years of employment in New Zealand.

9.It sustained 8,070 full time equivalent years of employment in Auckland.

10.In addition to a total economic impact of $640 million nationally and $473 million regionally, the Regatta was the catalyst for a number of benefits to Auckland and New Zealand including:
*advertising equivalent" global media exposure
*long term credibility and publicity for the marine sector
*international visitor awareness
*focussing private sector construction investment in the Viaduct Basin area, helping open up the waterfront and supporting regional growth policies of consolidation

The America’s Cup Regatta 2003 in Auckland injected an extra $529 million into the New Zealand economy, according to an economic impact study released today by America’s Cup Minister Trevor Mallard and Tourism Minister Mark Burton.

“Team New Zealand’s historic achievement in bringing the America’s Cup Regatta to New Zealand had a significant spin-off that has benefited the whole country," Trevor Mallard said.

Based on the latest economic modelling, both the 2000 event and the 2003 event each generated around half a billion dollars of extra economic activity into the New Zealand economy, with the 2003 event sustaining a slightly larger impact overall than the 2000 event (which generated an extra $495 million).

“The study well and truly demonstrates the value of the last two America’s Cup events to New Zealand, with major benefits for our marine, accommodation and hospitality, retail and entertainment, and transport sectors," Trevor Mallard said.

"This level of pay-off certainly made the government’s investment of around $10 million into Team NZ and an economic leverage fund in 2003 worthwhile.”

The study shows that between 2000 and 2003 an extra 9,360 full-time equivalent jobs nationally were created, and that while 85 per cent ($450 million) of the extra economic activity was generated in Auckland, there was still a substantial effect in other regions, mainly as the international visitors travelled to other parts of the country.

Mark Burton said the event had been a catalyst for global media exposure and new levels of international visitor, trade and investment awareness.

“This has successfully reinforced New Zealand as a sophisticated and attractive destination.

“Tourism New Zealand’s presence at the Louis Vuittton Media Centre and work with international journalists has been a very cost-effective method of promotion generating the sort of publicity that money can’t buy. Both Tourism NZ and Trade NZ have worked domestically and internationally with the media to showcase the best of our boatbuilding, food and wine, fashion and music industries,” Mark Burton said.

Questions and answers are attached. The full report is at www.tourism.govt.nz

Regatta delivers half a billion dollars to economy

Questions and Answers – America’s Cup 2003 Economic Impact Report

What was the total economic impact of the America’s Cup 2003 event?

The America’s Cup 2003 regatta had a significant positive impact on the New Zealand economy generating $529 million of total value added.

What was the economic impact for Auckland?

An estimated $450 million (85 per cent) of the economic impact was generated in the Auckland economy. The total additional economic activity sustained 8,180 full-time equivalent jobs – equivalent to approximately 1.6 per cent of employment in the Auckland region in 2002.

This reflects the concentration of the key sectors which serviced the America’s Cup event in Auckland. Most of the impact (74 per cent) was in the 2002-03 year ($391 million) corresponding with peak syndicate activity, and because almost all the spectator and media activity focused on the Louis Vuitton challenger series rather than the America’s Cup defence in March 2003.

Which sectors provided the greatest contribution?

International challenger syndicates ($171 million) and visiting superyachts and other yachts ($155 million) were the highest contributors to expenditure.

Which sectors were the main beneficiaries?

The main sectors to benefit from the additional demand were:
·Marine ($143 million)
·Accommodation and hospitality ($92 million)
·Retail and entertainment ($132 million)
·Business and household services ($48 million) (such as legal, accountancy and other consultancy services)
·Transport ($47.5 million)

How many people visited the Viaduct Harbour area during the event?

The official Viaduct Harbour visitor monitor showed 3.26 million people visited the Viaduct Harbour area during the event, of which 32 per cent were international visitors. Spending by visiting spectator groups accounted for around $206 million.

Why was different economic modelling used in this study, compared to the study carried out on the 2000 event?

The 2003 report used different multipliers. This is mainly because the structure of the economy has changed and the latest data only became available in 2001. Both studies used the best data available at the time.

The study to assess the economic impacts for the America’s Cup followed the methodology established for the 2000 America’s Cup assessment. This methodology was rigorously peer reviewed and developed to ensure a comprehensive assessment of the economic benefits.

What is the effect if the 2003 economic models are applied to both studies?

The 2000 event study identified a total economic impact of $640 million to the national economy. If we apply the 2003 economic models and multipliers to the 2000 event study and directly compare the results, the key conclusions are:

·Both the 2000 event and the 2003 event generated significant economic benefits to both New Zealand and Auckland economies. Both events generated around half a billion dollars of economic impact, with the 2003 event generating $529 million economic impact compared to the $495 million generated in 2000 event.
·The 2003 event sustained a slightly larger impact overall than the 2000 event.
· The 2003 event required much less expenditure on storm water and public infrastructure around the Viaduct Harbour as the necessary infrastructure was already in place.

Timeframe for the study

The study covered the period from the end of the year of the 2000 defence (30 June, 2000) until the end of the year of the 2003 Defence (30 June, 2003). The results are reported for the total period, and for the 2002-03 year, as well as the build-up period throughout 2000-02.

How is economic impact calculated?

The study to assess the economic impacts for the America’s Cup followed the methodology established for the 2000 America’s Cup assessment. This methodology was rigorously peer reviewed and developed to ensure a comprehensive assessment of the economic benefits. The study measures how the event resulted in increased economic activity, stimulated directly by the expenditure of participants and hosts, which then flowed throughout the economy to expand total regional and national GDP and employment.

This report measures “net” economic activity and does not include expenditure that would have taken place even without the event.

The key measures of economic impact are the direct and total value added to the economy in a given year (contributing to GDP) as a result of increased spending, and the increased work opportunities associated with it (measured as full-time equivalent years of work, or FTEs).

Will the results of this study influence the government’s proposal to make an economic and trade investment in a Team New Zealand Challenge for 2007?

The government's proposed trade and tourism investment in Team New Zealand is contingent on the following specific conditions being met:

·Team NZ decides to mount a challenge in Europe;
·Team NZ raising substantial funding from the private sector; and
·An assessment showing trade, tourism and economic benefits to this country from leveraging trade and tourism events off the next regattas in Europe.

How much did the report cost? And who paid for it?

The report was commissioned by the Ministry of Tourism and produced by
Market Economics Ltd at a cost of $187,500 with peer review. Auckland City
Council provided a financial contribution of $20,000 towards the cost. The
Ministry of Tourism has undertaken previous studies related to the event and
these are available on www.tourism.govt.nz

Why did the Government commission a report?

The Government considers good basic research a fundamental when analysing impacts upon our national economy. Projected impacts are valuable, however, the Government recognises that being able to identify the tangible economic impacts gained from hosting the second America’s Cup event are equally important. The report provides a valuable planning tool when considering hosting future major events in New Zealand.

How much did the government invest into the America’s Cup 2003?

There was a $5.6 million (gst inc) sponsorship by Brand New Zealand of Team New Zealand and a further $5 million leverage fund to enable our tourism, trade, cultural, sporting and investment agencies to fully maximise the exposure and opportunities created by the America’s Cup event.

However, the government contribution goes far deeper than a financial contribution – a whole range of departments, including Immigration, Customs, Transport, and Inland Revenue were all actively involved to facilitate the smooth running of the event from amending statutes to arranging visa waivers.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Well thanks for admitting that your wide sweeping statements are based on a single report. Since you didn't follow it, I think you might enjoy the 2020 tour to see how that unfolded over three weeks.

Secondly, while you are probably a similiar expert with deep connections to WADA labs, Dr Fuentes' private schedule and DMs with Juan Pelota, I look forward to your theories on how a sport "riddled with doping" returned the grand total of ZERO positive cases in the pro peloton in 2021. 

23 minutes ago, shebeen said:

I look forward to your theories on how a sport "riddled with doping" returned the grand total of ZERO positive cases in the pro peloton in 2021. 

image.png.3e7d3a1f348dfd0ec9721632d5d3c8fe.png

18 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Agreed, super-interesting photos!

Any ideas about if the flaps were actuated electronically or using hydro?

I can't imagine they'd use anything other than hydro. They already have advanced hydro systems on board, no reason not to leverage that. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

By subscription... SBD?

Businessman offers to pay for audit of budgets to resolve America's Cup hosting impasse

Businessman offers to pay for audit of budgets to resolve America's Cup hosting impasse - NZ Herald

Ex NZH article referred to above:

The multi-millionaire businessman behind a campaign to keep the America's Cup in Auckland has offered to pay for a top-flight accountancy firm to independently audit the yawning differences between his budget and those of Emirates Team New Zealand.

In the latest salvo over hosting the world's oldest international sporting trophy, former merchant banker Mark Dunphy said an independent accounting expert at a top four accountancy firm should compare the numbers each side has put forward. Repeating an offer to document his pledge to put $40 million towards defending the cup in Auckland, Dunphy believes there is sufficient funds available to successfully defend the cup in Auckland.

Emirates Team New Zealand responded by accusing Dunphy of deceit, saying it would have nothing to do with him.

Even before it had successfully defended the America's Cup in March 2021, Team New Zealand had confirmed it was examining hosting the next event overseas. Team New Zealand boss Grant Dalton has claimed his preference is to host the 37th running of the America's Cup in New Zealand, but has repeatedly said he does not believe funds would be available.

At the annual meeting of the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron in December, Dalton claimed budgets put forward by Dunphy contained a $50 million shortfall, as he accused Dunphy and former Team New Zealand director Jim Farmer QC of "misinformation". The meeting took place days after the Herald revealed Dalton had been warning squadron members Team New Zealand could collapse if it was forced to defend the cup at home. "So yes, having the event in Auckland with a $50m shortfall in the budget, you can bet your bottom dollar ETNZ will inevitably lose and this will lead to its demise when up against the budgets and strength of teams like Alinghi, INEOS Britannia, Luna Rossa and American Magic. This is in fact a hard reality that Dunphy & Farmer have spun into a 'threat' via their aggressive PR campaign," Dalton told RNZYS members, according to a Team New Zealand press release.

Dalton has claimed a successful defence requires a $200m budget, split between a team budget of $120m and an event budget of $80m. In seeking interest to host the next America's Cup, the "consistent ask of potential venues has been essentially $120m".

On February 1, Dunphy sent a detailed response to the flag committee of the RNZYS, comparing what it said were Team New Zealand's numbers, and its own. "In our view Mr Dalton's presentation in fact made it clear that there is funding available in excess of the combined total of $200 million for a successful defence in Auckland." Dunphy's breakdown shows that, with a $120m host venue fee for an offshore defence, the cup would likely run a surplus of $53m. Even without the host fee, through support from the Government ($31m) an additional $10m from sponsors and supporters ($70m verses $60m offshore) and $40m provided by his campaign, Dunphy asserts a local defence could achieve a $14m surplus.

Conceding that the differences between his assumptions and Dalton's were "significant", Dunphy said the discrepancies "can only be resolved through a proper due diligence exercise".

He proposed the appointment of an independent third-party accounting expert to review the budgets and forecasts, suggesting one of the "big four" accountancy firms that had no audit conflict be appointed. "The RNZYS and TNZL will need to co-operate fully in this investigation and review. Kiwi Home Defence will totally co-operate. Kiwi Home Defence will also meet the costs of the third-party accounting expert which will undertake that investigation and review."

In a statement, RNZYS commodore Aaron Young said he was "surprised" the Herald had obtained the letter. "The RNZYS is considering its response."

A spokesman for Team New Zealand said in a statement that Dunphy "continues to embellish numbers through either an ignorant misunderstanding of the America's Cup or intentional manipulation and deceit". The statement did not address whether it would co-operate with an audit, but stated the team "will have nothing to do with Mr Dunphy or his cohorts".

A spokesman for Dunphy said it was "unfortunate that Mr Dalton once again is playing the man" rather than engaging in detail. "Mr Dunphy is in no way being manipulative or deceitful and is offering to fund independent financial analysis to enable the squadron leadership to determine that the Cup Defence can be held in Auckland. If Team New Zealand will not engage, that will speak volumes."

Both the match venue and the event date is due to be announced by March 31.

• Like 2

ETNZ reject 40 million offer from Auckland to host cup.

ETNZ reject 40 million offer from KHD to host cup.

KHD don't understand why repeating an already rejected offer didn't work?

• Like 5
16 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

From the above offer to figure things out, it seems KHD is trying to understand it...

1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

From the above offer to figure things out, it seems KHD is trying to understand it...

Except ETNZ have already published why that doesn't work. It pays for the event but not the team, and the team needs money.

• Like 1

I guess the fact that ETNZ are acting aggressively - rather than graciously - to any entity offering them money casts them in a bad light. at least that's the view from here..

5 minutes ago, floater said:

I guess the fact that ETNZ are acting aggressively - rather than graciously - to any entity offering them money casts them in a bad light. at least that's the view from here..

Dya think??? Lol

It's really weird, especially given that what's being offered far exceeds anything from any other venue so far.

9 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Dya think??? Lol

It's really weird, especially given that what's being offered far exceeds anything from any other venue so far.

Its not really weird when its less than the original Auckland offer

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

But it's realistic to think that Akl govt would add their money to that of KHD. After all the pandemic situation (which is all to blame apparently) has eased so they should offer at least as much as before with good negotiation

14 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

But it's realistic to think that Akl govt would add their money to that of KHD. After all the pandemic situation (which is all to blame apparently) has eased so they should offer at least as much as before with good negotiation

Except if that was the case they would have said so

3 hours ago, Forourselves said:

So the myth of the AC not providing ROI - in NZ at least has been debunked. 
AC36 is the exception due to the pandemic.

If you read the full post AC36 report, you can see that the Govt/council went out of their way to make AC36 lose money. Which gives them a great excuse to not go again.

Just a few things that jump out when reading through it. 

• They don't take the value of media return, either the gross figure (which is admittedly stupid high), or the QI value which Nielsen use to estimate a more accurate real world value. They use their own figure which is a fraction of the QI value.
  • They count as a cost against the event, people attending the event who should be at work, so that's lost work output. (WTF?)
  • And again, they count as a cost against the event, the extra work the bars and restaurants needed to do to service the event. 
  • They count as a cost against the event, infrastructure work that had nothing to do with the event, but that the council brought forward using the event as an excuse to get it done quicker.

It's a blatant attempt to make the event fall on its face, and if you remove all the fucking around with the numbers, you can see quite clearly that the event basically broke even, or made a few million. 

18 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

How many times do you have to be told!? The NZ Government offer is withdrawn.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JonRowe said:

Keeping this bullshit up this long really does make it look like he doesn't have the best interest of the team or NZ at heart. 

2 hours ago, JonRowe said:

A big difference this time is that the purpose-built infrastructure is right there, ready to host AC37. But here's an interesting question:

Even if you discount the KHD's offer of $40m (you ignore it, refuse it out of whatever emotional crybaby bullcr*p) then:

What venue is better prepared even in that event???

Just now, Stingray~ said:

A big difference this time is that the purpose-built infrastructure is right there, ready to host AC37. But here's an interesting question:

We're only talking about this time. KHD's offer was less than Auckland offer this time.

2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Dya think??? Lol

It's still impossible to tell if you deliberately operate in bad faith arguments in the face of repeated explanations, or you really are just this incapable of processing information repeatedly spoon fed to you over and over again.

I'm not sure which is the more charitable of the two conclusions.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

It's still impossible to tell if you deliberately operate in bad faith arguments in the face of repeated explanations, or you really are just this incapable of processing information repeatedly spoon fed to you over and over again.

I'm not sure which is the more charitable of the two conclusions.

Shrug, back at ya.

Point to a better AC37 option than what is on offer in Auckland, let's see it.  

Even if money is what is driving the decision instead of a great sailing venue, Auckland wins on both counts. Malaga and the others are broke and/or have shitty sailing conditions most of the year.

Tick, tick, tick.............. Am still convinced Auckland will work out best.

1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

Shrug, back at ya.

Malaga is a better Option than Auckland is. Sailing-wise, Weather-wise, Audience-wise. You name it!

6 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Shrug, back at ya.

Tick, tick, tick..............

San Francisco, Bermuda, Valencia, Malaga, Cork, San Diego.

So it has been proven that any investment in the cup has the most incredible returns for the place involved. Millions turn into billions as quick as look at it.

This must be why Dalton is spoilt for choice on venue. He will be using the weeks left before announcement squeezing extra millions from them all. ;)

Just now, Gissie said:

So it has been proven that any investment in the cup has the most incredible returns for the place involved. Millions turn into billions as quick as look at it.

This must be why Dalton is spoilt for choice on venue. He will be using the weeks left before announcement squeezing extra millions from them all. ;)

It has been proven that if managed correctly, the event can provide significant return on Investment. 

The Hauraki Gulf had some uncharacteristically light and fluky winds during AC36 and unfortunately it ruined a bunch of racing because ETNZ refused to raise the minimum start wind limits even by one freaking knot (apparently for their own TV contract reasons instead of for good-racing reasons) and so the V1 AC75's got exposed for that terrible vulnerability. Leading to the V2 attempts to address that massive problem. But if a ton lighter, as they will be in '24, and if more-typical wind patterns also happen? Auckland could be fantastic!

My favorite venue would be in the SF wind machine but since NZ is currently Home of the Cup? Auckland fits the bill to a tee every which way. You Kiwis should be praying for it, begging for it, it could be awesome.

3 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Sooo, without wishing to state the obvious, why the fuck would, TNZ invite a relatively minor millionaire, who struggles to understand the AC game, into their tent?

And don't bother waving the, "because he has a $40 million flag" - I'm not buying that one either.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Auckland fits the bill to a tee every which way.

Except for the most important ingredient for a successful, Defence - show them the money!