• Replies 20.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pissing down outside and yes, we are back to Level 3. To all those moaning and bitching about it and calling the PM childish names, get a grip, we are the luckiest people in the world right

After many hours of consideration, a lot of in-depth research on the SA technical threads, extensive computational modelling and a few quick & dirty minutes in Photoshop, I have produced this anal

Yes, quite light but I didn't see all the afternoon's sailing, can only comment on later in the day, when Britannia 2 was running a #1 jib and foiling around no problem. They look quite quick at times

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, TimmyHate said:

They literally only did it cause 'hey we're not doing anything at that time , wanna go teach these guys how to sail these?"

What's their handicap - has anyone heard yet?

8 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

TE ran that slide in a recent SI episode momentarily among others, purely for a fun laugh. Clever! 

Which raises the obvious question: Has anyone ever seen TE, Stingray and Smackdaddy in the same room??? :o

2 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

I like this part...

As clearly implied, when you consider what the America's Cup has become under the wrinkly, sticky hands of GD - SailGP is truly a "significant step" UP for them in their careers...

AC_ssdumpsterfire.png

Heh.

And yet I haven't watched a single SailGP race. Still, that might change now the real tier1 sailors have arrived.

2 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Which raises the obvious question: Has anyone ever seen TE, Stingray and Smackdaddy in the same room??? :o

Don’t know SD personally that I know of but a classic SAAC hookup one eve at the LBYC was me, TE and.... 

MAHGUAH!  :D :D :D 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Don’t know SD personally that I know of but a classic SAAC hookup one eve at the LBYC was me, TE and.... 

MAHGUAH!  :D :D :D 

Pictures or it didn't happen.

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

And yet I haven't watched a single SailGP race. Still, that might change now the real tier1 sailors have arrived.

It has bursts of beauty. Problem was disparity in skill levels.  That is narrowing :)

22 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Pictures or it didn't happen.

I have pics ;) 

The waterfront restaurant dinner and drinks that preceded the YC event were fun too. Another SAAC friend, from Anacortes, flew down there with me, to an airport only 10 mins away. We talked TE into giving us a ride down the coast in his then-brand new Beemer later that night to SD, where the next morning we got a sworn-to-secrecy preview of ‘something that rhymed with “thing” ‘ Brilliant fun! 

Does anyone else here remember DZ’s first outing with that monster wing? It was from a cam above the inner harbor, blew everybody’s minds. 

• Like 1

Great video as always Mike.

Te Ahmed looks seriously shaky and slow in the turn at 00:52. Then faceplant at 03:18 - and again at 03:22 - and at 03:29...but they looked a bit better after that. Must have turned the auto-controller on. But then it took them forever to get the windward foil up after the turn at 08:00.

Compare to DEFIANT today. Concerning.

Lots of work left to do if the Emiratis want to compete.

Then a couple of blokes appeared over the side looking down at the foil arm - maybe it didn't come back up in time to complete the move? Soon after there were people standing all over the place and they started to pack up - check the foiling kitesurfer off the stern having a chat in the last pic.

Apologies for the quality of the shots - they never really got close enough to do it properly and is a very grey Auckland day.

DSC_1419.jpg

DSC_1422.jpg

DSC_1442.jpg

• Like 7
On 8/13/2020 at 8:41 PM, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read yesterday that if no election has been held/decided by, I think it was the 1st January, then the presidency is automatically transferred to the speaker of the house .... Nancy Pelosi. So Trump can't win by that route.

That is correct as it stands . The real issue is as we get closer to the election donny will become more desperate and who knows what he will try to pull off . As it stands now what you have stated would take some movement by congress to modify what is presently in place. He has already laid the groundwork to claim his upcoming loss will be due to a “ rigged “ election which he feels will at least save some face as well as give his cult something to scream about in the future . 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, NZL3481 said:

Sort of says a bit. AM don't seem to have the issue of chase boats of other teams tripping over each other in hot pursuit...

I'm guessing AM would probably be one of the info gathering ribs following Te Aihe.

Slight thread drift...

Interesting that Burling and Tuke have SAP onboard as sponsors for their 49er campaign and possibly SailGP - that's Hasso Platner's company and he's a very active sailor with a 52 Super Series team (Phoenix) and Cape 31s in SA. I wonder if once the AC and Olympics are out of the way we might see the boys pop-up on Phoenix at a regatta or two....

49 minutes ago, NZK said:

Slight thread drift...

Interesting that Burling and Tuke have SAP onboard as sponsors for their 49er campaign and possibly SailGP - that's Hasso Platner's company and he's a very active sailor with a 52 Super Series team (Phoenix) and Cape 31s in SA. I wonder if once the AC and Olympics are out of the way we might see the boys pop-up on Phoenix at a regatta or two....

Would crew for him anytime!  He is getting on a bit though, and maybe he's got no more Morning Glory's

MorningGlory.jpg.d4284c743a081d158dd20c9709c314af.jpg

One of his many Morning Glory's, the RP86 Transpac winner 2005, with Hooter crew.

Photo by our own Christophe:

http://www.sealaunay.com/diary/tag/morning-glory/

PS. Ref. SailGP, not sure if Larry and Hasso, or Oracle and SAP, are getting on that well.

• Like 1

His current yacht is Visione - 45m sloop which just had a full Carbo-link rigging upgrade and is still an absolute weapon. Unfortunately for the past few season it's been nothing more than roaming accommodation for Hasso during the TP regattas - hopefully it'll get back out on it's own regatta schedule soon....

VISIONE1.jpg

15 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

^^^ Nice boat, typically Euro with all that uncovered deck space. Spend a day on the water in our summer and you'll absolutely fry.

Their cruising set-up is very different to their racing set-up. They have removal frameworks for helm and cockpit biminis plus they run some pretty expansive awnings too. They aren't lacking in shade when they need it but they do know how to strip a boat down for racing....

12 hours ago, NZK said:

His current yacht is Visione - 45m sloop which just had a full Carbo-link rigging upgrade and is still an absolute weapon. Unfortunately for the past few season it's been nothing more than roaming accommodation for Hasso during the TP regattas - hopefully it'll get back out on it's own regatta schedule soon....

VISIONE1.jpg

You've forgotten to mention the odd 505 or three that he still owns and sails as well...

• Like 2
On 8/16/2020 at 10:28 AM, weta27 said:

Hyper-Stimulated, Utterly-UnBiased Eyeball measurement systems, calibrated closely with adjacent seagull activity, suggest it is Flaming Buzzy Bee fast.

I must do some reading - I would have thought a bulb would add drag, but maybe it reduces/resolves cavitation/ventilation issues in a way that provides a net gain.  I am assuming ETNZ  added the bulb to an existing unmodified/little modified foil and have only used 2 of their 6 foil iterations allowed under the rule.  Or do you think they may be testing new foil wings and bulb?  

20 hours ago, Apterix said:

I am assuming ETNZ  added the bulb to an existing unmodified/little modified foil and have only used 2 of their 6 foil iterations allowed under the rule.  Or do you think they may be testing new foil wings and bulb?  

Hard to tell, but from what we have seen, the wings on the new bulbed foil are a very shallow anhedral design, unlike the "T" foil it replaced, on which the wings appeared to be dead flat.

So presumably a whole new design?

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Hard to tell, but from what we have seen, the wings on the new bulbed foil are a very shallow anhedral design, unlike the "T" foil it replaced, on which the wings appeared to be dead flat.

my pic is its a new foil / bulb combo UNLESS they have gotten around it through the fairing rule but even then it doesn't make sense - unless they are taking the piss

I remember seeing a video on here about how other teams were trying to copy the Ausy winged keel but without changing the keel shape/weight at the same time they would never get the same advantage

the theory being you can put all the weight in the bulb and therefore have thinner foils. if you are using existing foils (thick) with the weight inside them and only adding a fairing for a bulb, the only thing you are really testing is the hydrodynamics around the junction. With the computer CFX simulations im surprised they don't know which is better (remember LR is now testing bulbless so going the opposite way.

the fact we haven't seen mini bulbs on the rudder to me says either the rudder is too small to need it or there is no hydrodynamic advantage

my pic is that the final foils will look more like the rudder inverted Y at the junction and ETNZ are playing mind games with the 75mm fairing allowance - I wonder if the foil fairings (not foil arm fairings) are counted as part of the mass change restrictions?

55 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Yeah, duh, it was the port anhedral foil that was replaced with the new bulbed foil, sorry ...

The new foil has less pronounced anhedral and less, if any up-tip

stbd-foil-fitting.jpg

NOOOOO!!!!!, just don't use terms like that, it gives me flashbacks. 

BTW, love your work in getting these pics to us, keep it up.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, OldWoodenShip said:

Anyone have any guesses as to what's with the three-pronged alien antenna-like MHU?

Additional anemometers, sail vision, ...?

image.png.e13d1fa810388267730bfb2312653812.png

Most likely an ultrasonic wind speed and direction sensor. These have been around for over two decades now and they measure the doppeler frequency shift between each of the three arms (they have an ultrasonic transmitter/receiver at the tip of each arm). By comparing the wind speed between each pair of sensors the final wind speed and direction are computed. They have almost replaced the usual wind vane and anemometer at most weather stations, and with no moving parts they last a lot longer.

Of course, I may be wrong but that's my guess.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, weta27 said:

Yeah, duh, it was the port anhedral foil that was replaced with the new bulbed foil, sorry ...

The new foil has less pronounced anhedral and less, if any up-tip

stbd-foil-fitting.jpg

Thanks Weta - looks like a b52.  And yes, looks like a new foil - perhaps a little thinner than its predecessor.  Interesting that ETNZ at this stage appears to favour less anhedral than the others.  Do you have any photos that would show whether they have also reduced the chord and/or span of the new foil? 

18 hours ago, weta27 said:

Yeah I thought this too initially - but the shape is different - also its the opposite side of the boat from the T foil that was launched 

Doesn't mean they cant swap the foil on the end of the arm to the other side 

Could well be a new design 

17 hours ago, Lickindip said:

my pic is its a new foil / bulb combo UNLESS they have gotten around it through the fairing rule but even then it doesn't make sense - unless they are taking the piss

I remember seeing a video on here about how other teams were trying to copy the Ausy winged keel but without changing the keel shape/weight at the same time they would never get the same advantage

the theory being you can put all the weight in the bulb and therefore have thinner foils. if you are using existing foils (thick) with the weight inside them and only adding a fairing for a bulb, the only thing you are really testing is the hydrodynamics around the junction. With the computer CFX simulations im surprised they don't know which is better (remember LR is now testing bulbless so going the opposite way.

the fact we haven't seen mini bulbs on the rudder to me says either the rudder is too small to need it or there is no hydrodynamic advantage

my pic is that the final foils will look more like the rudder inverted Y at the junction and ETNZ are playing mind games with the 75mm fairing allowance - I wonder if the foil fairings (not foil arm fairings) are counted as part of the mass change restrictions?

Maybe rudder loading is very different

14 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Hydro pressure sensors? 

There are also lines on the underside of some of their foils, which as a clue points toward cameras. Interesting we haven't seen others doing that, might be the lack of photos.

• Like 1

Question on the 20% rule.

If you reuse the wings and just rotate them from T-shape to anhedral design, and do multiple designs (varying angles).  Does it count against the 6 foils allowed?

Or is it just considered 1 foil?

Plus, keeping the same wing shape but different angles (T to anhedral) would give them the best comparison data between the designs, as only one variable is changed.

Regards,

D.

13 hours ago, OldWoodenShip said:

Anyone have any guesses as to what's with the three-pronged alien antenna-like MHU?

Additional anemometers, sail vision, ...?

image.png.e13d1fa810388267730bfb2312653812.png

In early July the array grew from three to four "prongs".

The forward-leaning arm holds an anemometer.

The two lateral arms hold what I think would be downward-pointing cameras monitoring both sides of the main.

The new fourth arm is aft-leaning, with what looks like it could possibly be another type of anomometer, or maybe something else again?

top-array-1.jpg

• Like 3

5.5 When a component listed in Rule 5.1 is:
(a) first installed on an AC75 Class Yacht; or
(b) modified and re-installed on an AC Class Yacht,
and that yacht is afloat, the Competitor shall declare that component to the Measurement Committee
within 24 hours by emailing an updated version of the spreadsheet described in Rule 5.4.
5.6 A component must be declared and counted in the limits described in Rule 5.7 regardless of whether that
component satisfies the specific Rules controlling its parameters in this AC75 Class Rule. Any component
that serves or partly serves the purpose of a listed component shall be counted.
5.7 In Rule 5.1, the values in the column “Quantity” are the maximum numbers of each component that a
Competitor may declare.

For components listed in Rule 5.1 that have a “Change allowance” mass percentage:
(a)
(b)
When such a component is first declared according to Rule 5.5, the Competitor must declare to the
Measurement Committee:
(i) a component mass;
(ii) an IGES file of an exterior component shape; and
(iii) construction drawings showing the internal structure of the component.
At all times when that component is installed on an AC75 Class Yacht with that yacht afloat:
(i) at least 80% of the mass of the component must match the original component; and
(ii) a common portion of at least 80% of the mass of the original component must remain un-
modified and must match all declared versions of the component.

1 hour ago, weta27 said:

The two lateral arms hold what I think would be downward-pointing cameras monitoring both sides of the main.

The new fourth arm is aft-leaning, with what looks like it could possibly be another type of anomometer, or maybe something else again?

top-array-1.jpg

That fourth arm looks like it also acts as a spreader for the wire/string used to help take some movement/vibration out of the camera arms. 

Is the thing on top of the fourth arm a decoy seagull?

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

That fourth arm looks like it also acts as a spreader for the wire/string used to help take some movement/vibration out of the camera arms. 

Is the thing on top of the fourth arm a decoy seagull?

Or a 5G mm-wave antenna (among other things)

3 hours ago, weta27 said:

Weta27, nice shot but your are missing some key details.

1067882441_HeloNZ.jpg.a42a6fd32e55b26e890c11da112936ba.jpg

• Like 6