• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pissing down outside and yes, we are back to Level 3. To all those moaning and bitching about it and calling the PM childish names, get a grip, we are the luckiest people in the world right

Yes, quite light but I didn't see all the afternoon's sailing, can only comment on later in the day, when Britannia 2 was running a #1 jib and foiling around no problem. They look quite quick at times

They towed out around 11am and the breeze was light and puffy to start with. Foiled down the Channel and headed out to the Bays. The breeze started to build around midday and they got some long runs i

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, Flippin Out said:

Assuming that's a foiling kite board.............

batman.png

That's a high speed kite too. Prolly very quick set up.

7 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Is this the guy who "won" the coastal classic a few years back? He can't enter 'cause he's not a yacht but he smoked the fleet by hours IIRC

No different guy.

kite is fast but no clue on the foil and the bloke isn’t a top race guy. 

foiling kite set up will get fucked all day long regardless of gear or rider though

The other dick move is sticking your kite straight in front of the ETNZ support boat as it’s accelerating because you want to see how fast the AC boat goes.  About 1.15 -124 

he starts upwind of it but then drops down towards and in front of it blocking it with the kite. Dick move. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

different guy.

kite is fast but no clue on the foil and the bloke isn’t a top race guy. 

foiling kite set up will get fucked all day long regardless of gear or rider though

Thought you weren't from nz, how do you know the locals?

What do you mean by your second comment regards a day long fucking?

5 hours ago, barfy said:

Thought I saw Lukas win the title a couple of months ago up here in boi. 

Anyway,

What's with the day long fucking? Enquiring minds and all that ....

Ok

IF ol mate was really good then he would be winning world tour events against the the best in the world,  guys like Nico Parlier. Or at least getting on the podium , he would also be at the event that’s on in Poland with the top 80 men competing there. He isn’t/doesn’t.

He is a shit load better than me but I am not stupid enough to line up with an AC boat and then be a dick to the support boat. 

as for the day long fucking?  
top kite guys can’t peak at low to mid 40s on the bear away, downwind they sit at mid 30s

upwind mid to high 20s 

even the slowest of the four ac boats is faster on every point of sail. Plus the hydro means they can maintain it rather than the soft squishy human pushing the power through the foil and getting tired and then slowing down.

the ac boat wold thrash them around a Race course all day long. The only exception Might be if the AC boat had to race on a small short downwind slalom course that the kites sometimes race on where the manoeuvrability might win out.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

as for the day long fucking?

Ah,I get your gist now.

But, etnz seemed to happily line up and thrash him for shits and giggles instead of telling him to go ashore in L3 so all good fun.

Never said he would thrash the AC boat, was just wondering where you found the ranking.

Cheers

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

in that little vid the F50 is...

but Alex is the second fastest guy on water behind sail rocket with a peak of over 60 kts and a 500 average ( how records are dished out) of 57.97 kts.

maybe I missed it but no F50 has managed that yet.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

he would also be at the event that’s on in Poland with the top 80 men competing there.

Ha ha ha. You fucking idiot. Have you read the news recently?

Get back in your fucking hole. 

He is a shit load better than me

Yes he is, in so many ways. 

please explain why riders from the rest of the world can attend races but Kiwis that get smashed at their nationals and finish joint last cant?

you last point, congrats on selective editing,

not seen you this fired up for a while, its cute you are defending his honour but seriously?

If you’d paid attention you’d note that he finished joint last because he didn’t compete. I don’t know why.

I don’t know why sailors are going to Poland to compete. I do know that the EU is recording 15,000 Covid cases a day, and on the rise.

Perhaps Nick respects his health and the health of others too much?

Perhaps the idea of being quarantined for two weeks on his return (and covering that cost) might have put him off the idea?

Perhaps it’s the fact that international travel options have basically dried up? 

Perhaps it‘s the age old problem that kiwis and Australians have always faced when competing against the world; everything’s a long way away, it costs a shit load to get there and you have to justify spending that money for a handful of races; something the Eurocentric sailors and administrators have always struggled to get their heads around. 

I don’t know if this guy’s any good and I understand that puberty is proving to be a difficult stage of life for you, but try not to be so naive.

45 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

If you’d paid attention you’d note that he finished joint last because he didn’t compete. I don’t know why.

I don’t know why sailors are going to Poland to compete. I do know that the EU is recording 15,000 Covid cases a day, and on the rise.

Perhaps Nick respects his health and the health of others too much?

Perhaps the idea of being quarantined for two weeks on his return (and covering that cost) might have put him off the idea?

Perhaps it’s the fact that international travel options have basically dried up? 

Perhaps it‘s the age old problem that kiwis and Australians have always faced when competing against the world; everything’s a long way away, it costs a shit load to get there and you have to justify spending that money for a handful of races; something the Eurocentric sailors and administrators have always struggled to get their heads around. 

I don’t know if this guy’s any good and I understand that puberty is proving to be a difficult stage of life for you, but try not to be so naive.

Ok your right.

its everyone else’s fault, the guys a fuckin champ and no should ever be mean to a kiwi despite him being a dick to the team boat ( my only issue with him by the way) or are you trying to defend that? 

wether you like it or not, he isn’t a top end racer, if he was he would feature on here.. 

http://www.kitefoilworldseries.com/rankings

incase clicking the link is too hard the ranking stops at 122nd place 

13 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

wether you like it or not, he isn’t a top end racer, if he was he would feature on here.. 

http://www.kitefoilworldseries.com/rankings

incase clicking the link is too hard the ranking stops at 122nd place 

But what difference do you think world ranking would make to the topline speed differential whilst having a play drag racing a foiling yacht in a straight line on a saturday afternoon?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

But what difference do you think world ranking would make to the topline speed differential whilst having a play drag racing a foiling yacht in a straight line on a saturday afternoon?

Average kite guy foiling on race gear?maybe pushing 30kts max

anyone that’s good, say top 20 can stick another 10-12 on that. And maintain it for a decent while in flat water and perfect smooth wind. 

look this isn’t about the guy from the vid. It’s more that a kite foiler is an irrelevant yard stick to measure the speed of these boats.

The speed differential has been mentioned as a measure of performance in several vids and it really isn’t anything  to take stock in. That’s all I was trying to explain 

5 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Average kite guy foiling on race gear?maybe pushing 30kts max

anyone that’s good, say top 20 can stick another 10-12 on that. And maintain it for a decent while in flat water and perfect smooth wind. 

look this isn’t about the guy from the vid. It’s more that a kite foiler is an irrelevant yard stick to measure the speed of these boats.

The speed differential has been mentioned as a measure of performance in several vids and it really isn’t anything  to take stock in. That’s all I was trying to explain 

It wasn't fun or interesting to see a kite foiler swear in surprise at seeing a yacht to something he's clearly never seen a yacht do before? I thought it was.

I think you are taking people's discussion of the clip to suggest that such performance is exclusive to ETNZ - I certainly think any AC75 would have impressed him in that moment...

13 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Absolutely it would, i was only offering a counter to the idea that because of the kite he was on instantly  meant a high level of performance and that pulling away in the manner they did was extraordinary

Right.. well I'd be happy to consider any kiteboarder being amongst the top 100 or so in the world, having "high level performance", and the pull away was pretty extraordinary to him :-)

Really not sure what your beef is here... seems like an odd hill to die on...

46 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Right.. well I'd be happy to consider any kiteboarder being amongst the top 100 or so in the world, having "high level performance", and the pull away was pretty extraordinary to him :-)

Really not sure what your beef is here... seems like an odd hill to die on...

The target sample of 100 racers isn’t as high performance as you think, mainly due to numbers of participants not being terribly high.

this place is tough sometimes, you have to accept that sometimes there are contributors that do have more specific knowledge  with which they will build their hill so to speak.  

people using foil kiters or windsurfers as a performance yardstick to measure an AC boat against is pointless. 

if I have been blunt in the way I have pointed it out then I am sorry but it doesn't change the fact.

My beef is that rather than the AM guys pulling a dick  move On the kiter ( that we didn’t get to see due to some handy editing) it’s that the kiter was dick to the ETNZ support boat. 

1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

people using foil kiters or windsurfers as a performance yardstick to measure an AC boat against is pointless. 

Anyway.

This isn't my hill but you seemed to get worked up quick like J, and I didn't even mention BA.

For performance of kites as a yardstick: word I heard was the locals figured they had angle on te aihe at first in the light. Then she had a long shed break after a month and that was over rover. Te kahu was always faster, but not much better then te aihe at first. That changed. Now te aihe has stepped.up again after her long break to be the boat to beat.

All relative, all hearsay. But perfect for here.

6 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

The target sample of 100 racers isn’t as high performance as you think, mainly due to numbers of participants not being terribly high.

this place is tough sometimes, you have to accept that sometimes there are contributors that do have more specific knowledge  with which they will build their hill so to speak.  

if I have been blunt in the way I have pointed it out then I am sorry but it doesn't change the fact.

My beef is that rather than the AM guys pulling a dick  move On the kiter ( that we didn’t get to see due to some handy editing) it’s that the kiter was dick to the ETNZ support boat. 

He probably knows them all personally. I doubt they’d be too worried. 

2 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

You jest, but there are actually rankings for  that... :lol:

What is TATA/Ineos Team's ranking after the last AC, do you have a list - not dock demolitions, nor scything heads off grinders, but actual results?

7 hours ago, nav said:

What is TATA/Ineos Team's ranking after the last AC, do you have a list - not dock demolitions, nor scything heads off grinders, but actual results?

I looked and couldn’t find that team entered in the last cup? 

Given that your being oh so hilarious you obviously mean Land Rover BAR, they did just as well as the ABs at the last rugby World Cup. 

4 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

So WTF is the reason for spamming an 10 month old photo with no info?  Are you just trolling for up votes?

Fuck off moron. Its a Team NZ thread. Its a Team NZ boat. See the relevance there!?

• Downvote 1

What is more annoying to me is that we will continue to speculate for months on the speed and vmg advantages from one or another team, while the various teams are already well aware of how they are doing compared to the opponents.

Reminds me of a story from the 33rd when the Nivelleau, on water spy-couple of Alinghi, gave a very early feedback (while the cat was still in the UAE?) on the huge gap between dogzilla on Alinghi in favor of US17. Maybe it was Peyron telling the story, but at that point the Swiss were seriously depressed and the cup was considered as almost certainly lost.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, popov said:

What is more annoying to me is that we will continue to speculate for months on the speed and vmg advantages from one or another team, while the various teams are already well aware of how they are doing compared to the opponents.

Reminds me of a story from the 33rd when the Nivelleau, on water spy-couple of Alinghi, gave a very early feedback (while the cat was still in the UAE?) on the huge gap between dogzilla on Alinghi in favor of US17. Maybe it was Peyron telling the story, but at that point the Swiss were seriously depressed and the cup was considered as almost certainly lost.

Hey, popov. Just out of interest, since we are speculating, any thoughts, rumours or otherwise on what upwind vectors (degrees to true wind direction) these AC75's may be capable of sailing? 

America's Cup funding coming to a head

23 Aug, 2020 5:00am
 3 minutes to read

Team New Zealand boss Grant Dalton claims the team was the victim of a "deliberate, sinister, and highly orchestrated attack". Picture / Ricardo Pinto

A probe into the finances of the organisers of next year's America's Cup is set to come to a head, with the final report by forensic accountants due to be submitted to the Government this week.

At the start of July, the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) announced it was suspending payments to America's Cup Event (ACE) - the organising company that is part of Team New Zealand - while claims about the spending at the two organisations were examined.

The final report by forensic accountancy firm Beattie Varley, is expected to be submitted to the Government as soon as tomorrow.

In which the Herald, denied the opportunity to publish un-answered allegations by the courts, marks the lack of any news on the outcome of investigations by speculating again on the various un-answered allegations.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

If you haven't seen it yet, https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12358613

Report to go to gummint as early as tomorrow. Action, outcome likely by end of month, ie in one week.  Don't hold your breath.

If there's any potential blowback on the Government for not being more careful as to how it oversees taxpayers money being spent, then don't expect it to be released until after the election...

3 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

If you haven't seen it yet, https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12358613

Report to go to gummint as early as tomorrow. Action, outcome likely by end of month, ie in one week.  Don't hold your breath.

The cheques will resume on 1st September with the only changes being more detailed reporting to Auckland Council and MBIE by ACE under existing agreements. And hopefully a criminal referral to SFO over Mayo&Calder.

Poor NZH will be publishing more q-anon conspiracies now their "scoop" of the year will have been flushed down the toilet...

• Like 1
15 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

I looked and couldn’t find that team entered in the last cup? 

Given that your being oh so hilarious you obviously mean Land Rover BAR, they did just as well as the ABs at the last rugby World Cup. 

Ouch :blink:. We did not deserve to win anything after losing to your mob!

6 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Has This been posted before amazing..! He gets in trouble for cutting TNZ's out of bounds space???

It has been posted/discussed elsewhere, I think the NYYC thread

Just noticed the kite boarder goes between two RIBs, the one on the right has lots of red but the left one does not. Did he obstruct one of the spy RIBs?

30 minutes ago, Rushman said:

It has been posted/discussed elsewhere, I think the NYYC thread

Just noticed the kite boarder goes between two RIBs, the one on the right has lots of red but the left one does not. Did he obstruct one of the spy RIBs?

I posted it in the NYYC thread also because it involves both boats

7 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

I posted it in the NYYC thread also because it involves both boats

I see that, you must have missed the first posting where the conversation was around Nick Reeve’s world ranking of 122

15 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Hey, popov. Just out of interest, since we are speculating, any thoughts, rumours or otherwise on what upwind vectors (degrees to true wind direction) these AC75's may be capable of sailing? 

No clues for me (only forums and social media material) in terms of raw data.

The only thing that I heard (and confirmed elsewhere) is that Britania is not at the level expected. 

@popov  Britannia's level - is the 'lower than expected' relative to the other teams or INEOS' own internal expectations? 

The last few clips I'd seen of the INEOS boat and the improvements in deck sweeper shape etc had me thinking they may have made some decent strides forward...

44 minutes ago, NZK said:

@popov  Britannia's level - is the 'lower than expected' relative to the other teams or INEOS' own internal expectations? 

Both, I would say. Given the faith placed in the sims to predict, they might have higher targets which appeared to correspond with the speeds they observed for their opponents.

9 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

NZ Herald readers are largely illiterate, as I’m sure many non kiwis here will attest. 

Kindly explain how a “reader” can be “largely illiterate.”  It appears your own understanding of the language isn’t quite as impressive as you think. :D

• Like 1
1 hour ago, popov said:

Both, I would say. Given the faith placed in the sims to predict, they might have higher targets which appeared to correspond with the speeds they observed for their opponents.

Currently team USA is a fat arse dragger with no stability, the Italian boat bits fall off it, Ineos has no performance and everything is absolutely perfect with team kiwi (ignoring the capsize, the splashdowns and still messing around with foil development) 

so with that rather tongue in cheek assessment of all the teams based on the current SA wisdom none of the teams have smashed it out of the park have they. 

• Like 4
  • Downvote 1
1 hour ago, Monkey said:

Kindly explain how a “reader” can be “largely illiterate.”  It appears your own understanding of the language isn’t quite as impressive as you think. :D

You'll see that I wrote "readers", the plural of the word "reader", which you've used.  "Largely" is a synonym for "predominantly", meaning a high percentage, suggesting that readers of the NZ Herald are predominantly illiterate.  I hope that spells it out for you.  It's good to learn.

It was, of course, a joke aimed at the quality of the NZ Herald, which is often the butt of jokes about shit journalism, and the fact that their target audience is poorly educated.  That, in itself, is self deprecating, which you often find in kiwi humor (we tend not to take ourselves too seriously), but then I threw in an additional bone for the non-kiwis here, pouring cold water on the inevitable jokes about how the quality of NZ Herald readers is representative of the population as a whole.  This appears to be a line of humor that you, and those who have liked your post, have failed to identify or at least pursue.

Perhaps you're not as funny as you think?

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

You'll see that I wrote "readers", the plural of the word "reader", which you've used.  "Largely" is a synonym for "predominantly", meaning a high percentage, suggesting that readers of the NZ Herald are predominantly illiterate.  I hope that spells it out for you.  It's good to learn.

It was, of course, a joke aimed at the quality of the NZ Herald, which is often the butt of jokes about shit journalism, and the fact that their target audience is poorly educated.  That, in itself, is self deprecating, which you often find in kiwi humor (we tend not to take ourselves too seriously), but then I threw in an additional bone for the non-kiwis here, pouring cold water on the inevitable jokes about how the quality of NZ Herald readers is representative of the population as a whole.  This appears to be a line of humor that you, and those who have liked your post, have failed to identify or at least pursue.

Perhaps you're not as funny as you think?

Nice attempt to correct me. I understand that it was a joke, but you failed miserably. I was just having a little well intentioned fun pointing out the fail. Hell, I’ve done it a million times!  

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Well since Alchy got his panties in a bunch over an old photo, I figured I better post something recent lol

So you do not see the issue of just randomly posting 10 month old pics while readers are looking for the latest news?  You are free to go ahead and post what ever you want, but please put it in contact for other readers.

2 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

...the fact that their target audience is poorly educated.  That, in itself, is self deprecating, which you often find in kiwi humor (we tend not to take ourselves too seriously)...

You go from douchebag mentality - which has been de rigueur by the Kiwis around here, then to the part in bold....which is actually the punchline judging by the Kiwis around here.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
53 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

So you do not see the issue of just randomly posting 10 month old pics while readers are looking for the latest news?  You are free to go ahead and post what ever you want, but please put it in contact for other readers.

And you need to chill the hell out. I'm certainly no fan of any KiWhingerTM around here - but you are seriously outwhinging everyone. People can post whatever the hell they want. Stop crying.

• Downvote 1
3 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Currently team USA is a fat arse dragger with no stability, the Italian boat bits fall off it, Ineos has no performance and everything is absolutely perfect with team kiwi (ignoring the capsize, the splashdowns and still messing around with foil development) 

so with that rather tongue in cheek assessment of all the teams based on the current SA wisdom none of the teams have smashed it out of the park have they. 

@The_Alchemist

you downvoted that? Ffs stop being precious 

I left off the bit about ineos destroying the planet, team USA is a giant ponzi scheme, the Italians use child labour to make hand bags and team kiwi are cleaning the cash for a regime that  Screw over  women/human rights. 

or is it only pro the home team news that’s acceptable and everyone else has a pact with satan? 

Fuckin funny around here this morning. It's like watching a street brawl. Who care what side you're on - just land a punch.

Ha, ha. I, love this place. :)

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Fuckin funny around here this morning. It's like watching a street brawl. Who care what side you're on - just land a punch.

Ha, ha. I, love this place. :)

Oh this is normal for Auckland in a howling souwester.  really ETNZ should have disclosed that we all loop out here in these conditions.

@The_Alchemist

you downvoted that? Ffs stop being precious 

I left off the bit about ineos destroying the planet, team USA is a giant ponzi scheme, the Italians use child labour to make hand bags and team kiwi are cleaning the cash for a regime that  Screw over  women/human rights. 

or is it only pro the home team news that’s acceptable and everyone else has a pact with satan? 

Choice among Team Frackers, Prada Team Sweatshop, Amway Magic Pyramid Scheme, and Team Emirates "We ban FGM in state hospitals but not every where."

I deplore Trump, FGM as well,  not a fan of Jimmy, so I went with the Frackers last year.

• Like 1