• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pissing down outside and yes, we are back to Level 3. To all those moaning and bitching about it and calling the PM childish names, get a grip, we are the luckiest people in the world right

After many hours of consideration, a lot of in-depth research on the SA technical threads, extensive computational modelling and a few quick & dirty minutes in Photoshop, I have produced this anal

They towed out around 11am and the breeze was light and puffy to start with. Foiled down the Channel and headed out to the Bays. The breeze started to build around midday and they got some long runs i

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Mozzy Sails said:

That is one wide square arse.

It's like a cut and shut between INEOS B1 and B2

The question is , do INEOS have a large enough paper bag? Because they'll need it whilst fucking this thing!

IMG-20201118-WA0005.thumb.jpg.f80f0d455eb143a6959dab724e8548cd.jpg

Definitely not hydro out back but most certainly aero - Think about the "scoopy" bow taking on airflow and funnelling it aft. The flatness might help the boat ride an air cushion of sorts? 

I don't think this boat is designed to heel or displace. 

• Like 1

If it heels that aft corner is dragging

it’s literally like the NZ fan boys have forgotten anything negative about square sides,  fat arses and  oh the back end will be draggy.. 

As for controls for pistol Pete? Joystick set up from a plane is my call, can control pitch roll heading etc all flyby wire.  If the rules allow? 

• Like 2

Yes, the aero implications of the crew pods and relatively low central deck "funnel" are really interesting.

Something that INEOS B1 was designed around but their B2 abandoned.

Look forward to seeing the boom (or not) arrangement!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, JALhazmat said:

If it heels that aft corner is dragging

it’s literally like the NZ fan boys have forgotten anything negative about square sides,  fat arses and  oh the back end will be draggy.. 

As for controls for pistol Pete? Joystick set up from a plane is my call, can control pitch roll heading etc all flyby wire.  If the rules allow? 

Laugh at me if I’m wrong but fly-by-wire is totally allowed. 

1 minute ago, Raptorsailor said:

Laugh at me if I’m wrong but fly-by-wire is totally allowed. 

Not laughing, size of the pods looks like something that sized would be the option, frees up other crew as long as he has the bandwidth to cope with it all. 

57 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Rumor is, the mainsail will have a giant MBIE decal on it? 

Are you that stupid not to know MBIE is a government department - NOT a sponsor. Crawl back under your BLM conspiracy den...

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3
6 minutes ago, Indio said:

Are you that stupid not to know MBIE is a government department - NOT a sponsor. Crawl back under your BLM conspiracy den...

I think if you ask the good people of MBIE they will say that they are running ETNZ (or trying to)

3 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

No he is not, but obviously you are enough to believe his sarcasm.

And STOP using BLM as a insult you racist.

That's rich coming from a trumpscum who wasted his vote on the biggest most corrupt loser in US history.

• Downvote 2
Just now, Southern Cross said:

Definitely similar to Ineos concept / geometry ~ reassuring the UK effort, perhaps ?

Ineos have abandoned their topside aero now though. ETNZ have the topside of Ineos B1 and bottom similar to Ineos B2.

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

Rumor is, the mainsail will have a giant MBIE decal on it? 

Does a sponsor get an early look in case they find it too ugly for their logo? Nespresso can't reasonably splash for both George Clooney and that at the same time. 

1 hour ago, laser 173312 said:

That's the pic I wanted. Tnx. 

It's clear they went for simple tooling as the main driver of the aft hull

52 minutes ago, uflux said:

LRs yacht looks very conservative now. B1.5 

Yes, but Bertelli would rather lose than win in something that looks like that, I'm certain of it. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, The_Alchemist said:

Talk about lack of design conviction.

I'm still picking ETNZ designers to have mapped out a developmental and modification plan to hide their true B2 configuration and shape within the rules, before Race1 on 6th March.

29 minutes ago, Revelry said:

Definitely not hydro out back but most certainly aero - Think about the "scoopy" bow taking on airflow and funnelling it aft. The flatness might help the boat ride an air cushion of sorts? 

I don't think this boat is designed to heel or displace. 

You mean ground effect?   Hush...... you will be impaled and left to ry in the sun.

20 minutes ago, Indio said:

It was a f’king joke, since MBIE paid for the design. As to your BLM obsession, f’k off for that idiocy too! 

The subject of sponsors came up.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

It was a f’king joke, since MBIE paid for the design. As to your BLM obsession, f’k off for that idiocy too! 

The subject of sponsors came up.

Don’t sweat him.  It’s easy to chirp from the cheap seats.  Also, funny how BLM and Antifa isn’t a thing in the news anymore.  Predictable even. 

WetHog  :ph34r:

• Like 1

Fucking ground effect!  The most misunderstood effect on the forum.

The issue is not about staying in the air, that's easy and doesn't involve ground effect, it's about getting into the air!

It's probably more about the Bernoulli principle!

Anyone who has flown a light aircraft e.g. a Piper Cherokee knows that to stop ground effect and running out of runway is you drop a wing or cross your controls.  A bit like tacking!

4 hours ago, MastaVonBlasta said:

Time will tell if it's going to work, but going by recent history it probably will.. 

They would have deviated so much from boat 1 if they didn't find big gains with this rather brave interpretation... 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

I'm liking what they've done though. Taking the topside aero concepts of Ineos B1 and refined them.

I don’t know if all of this chat is fair to ETNZ. The shear line may be similar, but the reasoning seems quite different. ETNZ’s topsides are as high as they are to envelop the crew. It’s always been hard to understand how INEOS’s version was done to reduce windage. 

• Like 2

Vittorio & Piero immediately put out a quite intelligent video - in Italian. English version hopefully soon

One comment I liked is ETNZ have copied from all other boats - except their own B1! Maybe they weren’t that happy about Te Aihe after all ...

Edit

That was quick:

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Xlot said:

Vittorio & Piero immediately put out a quite intelligent video - in Italian. English version hopefully soon

One comment I liked is ETNZ have copied from all other boats - except their own B1! Maybe they weren’t that happy about Te Aihe after all ...

B1 was the first and only B1 to have a fat bustle.

• Like 1

I feel genuinely bad for the people of Auckland. They face 1 of 2 terrible fates no matter what. 

1.  B2 is a dog and they lose the cup. 
2.  B2 is a rocket and they win the cup. B2 gets put on display and they have to look at that thing every day. 

• Like 13
Just now, Ex-yachtie said:

ETNZ’s topsides are as high as they are to envelop the crew. It’s always been hard to understand how INEOS’s version was done to reduce windage. 

They're not identical. The sheer line of NZ B2 tapers away. Ineos B1 didn't do that. The low foredeck tunnel concept is similar though, if not more radical on B2 extending the foredeck height all the way aft - again different to Ineos, who had a ramp. They'll get nice flow through on the entire width of the deck, without the turbulence of the holes the others have.

• Like 1

In some ways it reminds me of an old school Div 1 windsurfer which had a "displacement" style forward section and very flat planning aft section - flat with hard rails/edges.
I bet they have no intention of healing the boat to get it on it's foils, keep it flat so the aft flat sections can start planning early to then lift onto foils and give some "ground effect"..

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Everyone talks about how ETNZ likes to throw the ball as far as they can to expand the design envelope.  It looks like they threw it into the INEO ball bag.

So what you're saying is that after seeing INEOS B2 they essentially copied the design and built their B2 in fourish weeks? Or two design teams working independently arrived at similar solutions to a common problem?

3 hours ago, k-f-u said:

Jesus Christ that's ugly. I almost hope that LR wins the cup and makes some basic nautical aesthetics mandatory in the next rule. And yes, I'm an ETNZ fan. 

She ain't no tractor no more... she be a plow!

• Like 3
3 hours ago, k-f-u said:

On a more serious note, can somebody explain how they managed to incorporate so many features of the other teams' B2 in the hull? I thought the build process had been going on for a long time... And the other B2s were launched like six weeks ago... 

ETNZ is trolling SA.

That's just a polystyrene mock up to induce hysteria on the forum. Actual B2 will roll out later today... 8)

14 minutes ago, FinnFish said:

So what you're saying is that after seeing INEOS B2 they essentially copied the design and built their B2 in fourish weeks? Or two design teams working independently arrived at similar solutions to a common problem?

please do no use common sense on this forum ... its just not acceptable here :D

these pods remind me of an oracle AC72 and ETNZ ac50

the tunnel down the middle makes sense for aero

the flat back looks to be the most reduction in drag while still being within the minimum width requirements

looking forward to seeing this thing in the water with some sails up

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

They're not identical. The sheer line of NZ B2 tapers away. Ineos B1 didn't do that. The low foredeck tunnel concept is similar though, if not more radical on B2 extending the foredeck height all the way aft - again different to Ineos, who had a ramp. They'll get nice flow through on the entire width of the deck, without the turbulence of the holes the others have.

Agreed.  I think what we're seeing is a wing with pods on each side for crew.  The stern (whilst severe, is the combination of three tapered edges coming together).

• Like 1
4 hours ago, weta27 said:

From Aaron Shipman‎, America's Cup 2021 FB page

125844113_1406358836478156_5377450061992387651_o.jpg

The bow flare could assist in popping up after a nose dive, although I doubt we'll be seeing them in 4 months the design could save assets in the learning phase.

Just now, Ex-yachtie said:

three tapered edges coming together)

Again different to Ineos who maintain their keel line from stem to stern. NZ B2 taper theirs aft for that flat stern. A bit like Patriot in this regard. She looks to take many of the concepts of the other boats and blends them into what could be the most complete package.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Te Rita Whaka.

The "Whaka" is important, doesn't matter from front or behind...

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Indio said:

And there's one (former)sponsor conspicuous by their absenceimage.png.fb3c5bb9366665821c5a1e316aaf6b50.png

Not surprised. ETNZ's B2 is ugly enough to blow the froth off anyones flat white. ;-)

Let's hope ugly is fast, eh?

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Nutta said:

ETNZ is trolling SA.

That's just a polystyrene mock up to induce hysteria on the forum. Actual B2 will roll out later today... 8)

Ha. Thank, Christ. For a moment there, I thought that was the actual boat! 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Everyone talks about how ETNZ likes to throw the ball as far as they can to expand the design envelope.  It looks like they threw it into the INEO ball bag.

What will be funny is when she blows past Britannia 2! 
Say what you want but she is merely an evolution of Te Kahu.What’s funny is how most teams went from radical shapes back more toward Te Aihe while ETNZ stepped on with a new radical shape.

3 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

That is one wide square arse.

It's like a cut and shut between INEOS B1 and B2

The question is , do INEOS have a large enough paper bag? Because they'll need it whilst fucking this thing!

IMG-20201118-WA0005.thumb.jpg.f80f0d455eb143a6959dab724e8548cd.jpg

Just as well there's still what appears to be a bustle of sorts, through the bottom, mid sections. That run aft looks flatter than a millpond.

I'm actually now embarrassed that I scoffed so hard at Rita1's looks. Sorry guys. I apologise. 

If this had been launched as INEOS B2, I think I may have understood it a little more.

Right now, I'm struggling.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, FinnFish said:

Or two design teams working independently arrived at similar solutions to a common problem?

this

the Rita1 skeg they engineered in Caliagri was smart, they dbled down on it for Rita2 and apparently Bernasconi followed the same direction, wether or not it was it was lead-time related or not. 

13 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Just as well there's still what appears to be a bustle of sorts, through the bottom, mid sections. That run aft looks flatter than a millpond.

I'm actually now embarrassed that I scoffed so hard at Rita1's looks. Sorry guys. I apologise. 

If this had been launched as INEOS B2, I think I may have understood it a little more.

Right now, I'm struggling.

Agreed !!

8 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Chill SBD, Rita 1 still wins the fugly award by miles. NZ B2 whilst not pretty like Te Aihe, is growing on me. She's clever in the way she incorporates all the best concepts. The most advanced design of the fleet.

• Like 3