Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pissing down outside and yes, we are back to Level 3. To all those moaning and bitching about it and calling the PM childish names, get a grip, we are the luckiest people in the world right

They towed out around 11am and the breeze was light and puffy to start with. Foiled down the Channel and headed out to the Bays. The breeze started to build around midday and they got some long runs i

Yes, quite light but I didn't see all the afternoon's sailing, can only comment on later in the day, when Britannia 2 was running a #1 jib and foiling around no problem. They look quite quick at times

Posted Images

18 hours ago, WakaNZ said:

25ABCF3F-7798-4FF2-8A97-8C1843FE3ADF.jpeg

Now that I've gotten over the shock of the B2 design... from this angle it looks like the designers decided on the best aero design for the hull, but as it was lower that the 1.5m Rules spec, then added the crew pods as "deck end plates".

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Are you sure?  The crew walls on NZ2 are high enough to totally enclose the crew, where as the crew on UK B1 could easily rest an arm on the wall.  Also, don’t the rules state the exact height of the mast base in relationship to the foils.  If you take that into consideration, the decks look very similar, with just higher walls on NZ

TNZ crew can still put an elbow on the gunwale and are not entirely submerged in the pockets so there goes that theory.

C2E0534F-0180-485F-8F2B-536B77391886.jpeg.dc2a9730047124818b2fb735395f381c.jpeg.96cae2c55feb289682bcb38e2f422a71.jpeg 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

TNZ crew can still put an elbow on the gunwale and are not entirely submerged in the pockets so there goes that theory.

C2E0534F-0180-485F-8F2B-536B77391886.jpeg.dc2a9730047124818b2fb735395f381c.jpeg.96cae2c55feb289682bcb38e2f422a71.jpeg 

Given that there's a shore crew person standing between the jib and the main, I wouldn't read to much into crew positions from this photo ;)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The stability (righting moment) of Ineos B2 and KZ B2 in the lower heel angles ( < 20deg’) is going to be massively different ~ in effect from Boats 1 configuration in both cases there has been a reversal on righting moment properties.Secondly ~ an educated guess is that the longitudinal prismatic coefficient is much higher on KZ2.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

Who is everyone else? That’s actually gone on record and dismissed them? ( apart from max before they sailed past him recently.) 

My comment isn't directed at any negative comments towards AM, just the omission of them in all of the talk that was going around during the launches.  They was very little mention of AM by any of the other teams.  i just found it interesting that he made a point of signaling out AM and the work they have been putting in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, weta27 said:

First fuzzy look at that boom-less arrangement in action

boom1.jpg

boom2.jpg

boom3.jpg

boom4.jpg

Still looks like they have a boom. Still the rams at the back . Just a long foot to the sail

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, weta27 said:

To my eye, she looks good in the water and even better when she gets out.

The shape is starting to make sense.

DSC_1611.jpg

DSC_1620.jpg

DSC_1629.jpg

They've got plenty of sail area up in this shot.! Looks a great day to be testing.  American Magic's sail plan looks tiny (Especially with their small jib) in comparison to this. Can't wait to see some video of them transitioning up onto the foils. hull doesn't look too bad in this shot as compared to some others./ 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, terrafirma said:

They've got plenty of sail area up in this shot.! Looks a great day to be testing.  American Magic's sail plan looks tiny (Especially with their small jib) in comparison to this. Can't wait to see some video of them transitioning up onto the foils. hull doesn't look too bad in this shot as compared to some others./ 

Hopeful the no Code Zero required setup :rolleyes:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Can't wait to see some video of them transitioning up onto the foils.

These pics are of the first foil, they were being very careful I suspect, and the transition was imperceptible - I have 5 or 6 frames where its impossible to tell if they are clear of the water or not.

Not that much breeze either, INEOS was just down the way struggling to get something (anything!) out of their CZ.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Ok, NZ1.5 didn't have the slab sides, or the large square skeg, or the small thin add-on keel either

You do notice that pretty much everyone on here thinks there are lot of things in common with the GB boats, so do the Italian duo. But you still maintain otherwise. 

Oh
Brother
Thou eschews
Understanding
So
Excellently

 

It did have slab sides. It did have crew pods and a similar bow profile.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pung boy said:

As most of the power comes from wind going across the outer side of the sail that would make sense. The wind would be compressed as it passes between the outer/leeward side and the inner side of the hull/channel?

I’m  no designer or great sailor.....

That seems to counter my understanding of what's supposed to happen. Air pressure on the outer side of the sail is supposed to be less, which is what impels the boat. But if the gap between the inner side of the hull and the sail acts as a venturi then air pressure will be reduced as airflow speeds up and consequently power will be increased. Or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2020 at 12:37 PM, The_Alchemist said:

This looks like Britannia B1 that we all laughed at:

 

B6E4F866-FB01-49B2-9076-D9ADC128EE6C.jpeg

Absolutely. It's INEOS B1 top with B2 bottom. It's the last thing I thought I'd see with ETNZ B2. Looks like Holroyd has got the right ideas after all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Barnyb said:

 

126235041_3575053952551637_6074434305030132885_o.jpg

Hull underside looks like it's derived from high speed powerboats - relatively sharp entry, lot of flare forward, and wide flat aft sections to help keep the hull level longitudinally so it can "climb" over the bow wave.

That flare will probably help if the boat "dives" too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite the launch. Great pics and talk, drinks thanks etnz

out past the noises having ripped over from whangaparoa between 2 and 3 today. Headsail change out there, as I guess it was fresher. . Hull well below the horizon. All this on day one. Amazing.
Ineo’s headed out there eventually but went on to whangaparoa as I left around 3

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, kidviciousf2b said:

Looking pretty good.  Skims the water nicely making the most of any end plating.  And, someone crosses the boat during the tack - it looks like a bit of a scramble to get out of the pod, but it demonstrates, at least at this stage, that they are intending to move sailors around a bit.   

Also, they continue to fly the foil with the tip piercing the surface - so they obviously still think that works.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

That title sets a very low bar considering that they only have pictures of the boat being towed...lol

I think you may need glasses. Have another look :rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Probably tactician. It will be an interesting crew selection process. Ainslie has a helmsman, mainsail trimmer, a pilot. Maybe the pilot flies the boat while the helmsman focuses on boat speed. ETNZ has the obvious, Burling, Tuke and Ashby, but also guys like Josh Junior, Andy Maloney and even Ray Davies, who may end up being coach again, although Davies is backup helmsman. All outstanding sailors in their own right. Will they be simply grinders? They have a few big grinders as well, so maybe spoilt for choice?

While playing around with calcs, it appears to me that the most critical control will be for the stabilator AoA (via rudder rake).  This has to compensate for every slight variation in TWS, mainsail tweaking, etc.  My guess is that this will need to be managed full-time, so not a job for I grinder, I think. 

If the use of an accelerometer (measuring AoA of the hull) real-time display is not accepted as "standard instrumentation", managing the stabilator AoA will be a tough job!

Maybe they will use two helmsmen, alternating as the "flight controller" when they're not steering? As seen in AC35, the tactician could also be grinding (on and off), whilst deciding tactics, so not required 100% of the time.

I think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Apterix said:

Looking pretty good.  Skims the water nicely making the most of any end plating.  And, someone crosses the boat during the tack - it looks like a bit of a scramble to get out of the pod, but it demonstrates, at least at this stage, that they are intending to move sailors around a bit.   

Also, they continue to fly the foil with the tip piercing the surface - so they obviously still think that works.   

Also of note, it looks like those new fairings on the foil arms may generate a bit of lift - which may allow them to fly the foils on more of an angle and generate a bit more lift to windward.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, zillafreak said:

What is this patched area seen on the rollout? Is this where Herbie was installed? Forgot something? B)

 

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 7.12.06 PM.png

Looks like lots of reflections going on. We saw that with the previous boat in this thread,

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

Now that I've gotten over the shock of the B2 design... from this angle it looks like the designers decided on the best aero design for the hull, but as it was lower that the 1.5m Rules spec, then added the crew pods as "deck end plates".

Correction. The Rules show the MRP (reference plane) as the interface  of the bottom point of mast rotation with the deck, which must be 1.5m above the MWP.

So @JALhazmat is right, the deck at the mast is not lower, the crew pods are raised.

image.thumb.png.fa7cac372a4b12c0cda94b634b1d4f6c.png

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Cup will be AM vs ETNZ. $1000 bets taken now regarding that outcome. Who wins the Cup? Christmas cup may give us a clue. I am an American (USA! Trump sucks! [dont even get me started on that one]) but New Zealand rules the waves. Total ETNZ fan. NZ is a tiny country, David vs Goliath, that kicks all Goliaths in the balls when it comes to sailing. I cant lose either way. At least LE is not fucking things up with his huge ego. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, zillafreak said:

Watch this video right around 1:38. Clearly the patch is part of the boat. No reflection. 

No patch there bro. Just a reflection...another ETNZ conspiracy theory??

89606D62-038F-4BA9-B899-05E5C5333B30.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, zillafreak said:

Watch this video right around 1:38. Clearly the patch is part of the boat. No reflection. 

Yes I see it at around 1.38 and then it disappears keep watching the whole thing and take a close look at 3.07 mins can't see it.! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, zillafreak said:

What is this patched area seen on the rollout? Is this where Herbie was installed? Forgot something? B)

 

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 7.12.06 PM.png

It's fair to say that the skin looked quite unfair.  I suspect this is the luxury you might have when your boat doesn't touch the water much, and you thin up the skin to save weight.  Refer INEOS B2

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ex-yachtie said:

It's fair to say that the skin looked quite unfair.  I suspect this is the luxury you might have when your boat doesn't touch the water much, and you thin up the skin to save weight.  Refer INEOS B2

Watch the video especially at 3.07 mins nothing there to my eyes..! Reflections are very good at deceiving

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Firewalled? Works for me.

GD on radio with Mike Hoskins, clickbait headline

America's Cup 2021: Team New Zealand boss Grant Dalton hits back at Italian syndicate following 'hail of bullets' 
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12383693

Same one is at this link https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/on-air/mike-hosking-breakfast/audio/grant-dalton-on-team-new-zealands-second-americas-cup-2020-yacht/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Apterix said:

Also, they continue to fly the foil with the tip piercing the surface - so they obviously still think that works

51 minutes ago, Apterix said:

Looking pretty good.  Skims the water nicely making the most of any end plating.  And, someone crosses the boat during the tack - it looks like a bit of a scramble to get out of the pod, but it demonstrates, at least at this stage, that they are intending to move sailors around a bit.   

Also, they continue to fly the foil with the tip piercing the surface - so they obviously still think that works.   

Tip is well out of the water. All teams have shown some tip breaching, but I reckon this is the most extreme video yet, and on the first day suggests this will be a common mode, at least for etnz.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Firewalled? Works for me.

GD on radio with Mike Hoskins, clickbait headline

America's Cup 2021: Team New Zealand boss Grant Dalton hits back at Italian syndicate following 'hail of bullets' 
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12383693

Funny!! When its SFO making calls, and MBIE investigating, its "All over NZ Headlines" and "Heads must roll" but when its GD hitting back its a clickbait headline lol

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zillafreak said:

Wow y'all are fucking blind. Go to full screen from 1:36 to 1:40 or so and tell me you dont see it. Clear as day

 

942011159_ScreenShot2020-11-19at8_31_42PM.png.5b1b6fb96ac7d3926d0faac6ece584db.png1331673999_ScreenShot2020-11-19at8_31_25PM.png.e3137113f89ad5a20e328b125e6f604b.png1959034749_ScreenShot2020-11-19at8_30_51PM.png.3757b0e1bc5f69068804d19ef69b424c.png1703014485_ScreenShot2020-11-19at8_30_51PM.png.49b2c858b1edb1ba074d8cca4631e35a.png

These were all taken at different times. Awesome reflection that stays at the same spot.. Ya fucks. Get a clue

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 8.31.03 PM.png

Yes the reflection IS clear as day :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, zillafreak said:

Wow y'all are fucking blind. Go to full screen from 1:36 to 1:40 or so and tell me you dont see it. Clear as day

 

942011159_ScreenShot2020-11-19at8_31_42PM.png.5b1b6fb96ac7d3926d0faac6ece584db.png1331673999_ScreenShot2020-11-19at8_31_25PM.png.e3137113f89ad5a20e328b125e6f604b.png1959034749_ScreenShot2020-11-19at8_30_51PM.png.3757b0e1bc5f69068804d19ef69b424c.png1703014485_ScreenShot2020-11-19at8_30_51PM.png.49b2c858b1edb1ba074d8cca4631e35a.png

These were all taken at different times. Awesome reflection that stays at the same spot.. Ya fucks. Get a clue

 

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 8.31.03 PM.png

Pretty sure this boat is wrapped in vinyl, who knows what secrets are hidden beneath to be revealed at a later stage ;-)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, zillafreak said:

So all boats seem to launch with two different foils. Obviously (or not?) they will not race with different foils starboard/port? I dont get it.

You don't get it......Yes I think we realize that..! $1000 bets on American Magic did you say..? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaxHugen said:

While playing around with calcs, it appears to me that the most critical control will be for the stabilator AoA (via rudder rake).  This has to compensate for every slight variation in TWS, mainsail tweaking, etc.  My guess is that this will need to be managed full-time, so not a job for I grinder, I think. 

If the use of an accelerometer (measuring AoA of the hull) real-time display is not accepted as "standard instrumentation", managing the stabilator AoA will be a tough job!

Maybe they will use two helmsmen, alternating as the "flight controller" when they're not steering? As seen in AC35, the tactician could also be grinding (on and off), whilst deciding tactics, so not required 100% of the time.

I think.

If they have done their sums correctly and have the right tail volume ratio, there will be a degree of longitudinal static stability. That said there are a lot of moving forces to deal with. 

Link to post
Share on other sites