Idiot art and performance artists

Pretty funny

Some rube blows 120K on a banana duct taped to a wall.

Performance artist shows up, removes said banana and eats it.

https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/see-you-after-jail-guys-art-world-stunned-after-man-eats-120000-banana-duct-taped-wall

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Next Art Basel Miami, put a piece of paper on their floor, have your dog shit on it, sell it for $250k.  

Jebus, now I'm really confused.  Why don't they have Art Basel in Basel, not Miami?  

There is probably more money between the couch cushions in Basel then there is in all of Miami anyway. 

OK, that might be a little hyperbolic, but not much.

I can never really wrap my head around things like this ... I like art, I buy art, but how can someone "buy" a performance piece? Is it like a donation to the museum?

And then when they write the check, do they get a fleeting glimpse of those million-some children in Developing Nations each year who die from diarrhea and think to themselves "this much money could save the lives of a few hundred children ... eh, whatever.

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

I can never really wrap my head around things like this ... I like art, I buy art, but how can someone "buy" a performance piece? Is it like a donation to the museum?

And then when they write the check, do they get a fleeting glimpse of those million-some children in Developing Nations each year who die from diarrhea and think to themselves "this much money could save the lives of a few hundred children ... eh, whatever.

narcissists dont have time to thnk about things like that. 

14 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Jebus, now I'm really confused.  Why don't they have Art Basel in Basel, not Miami?  

There is probably more money between the couch cushions in Basel then there is in all of Miami anyway. 

OK, that might be a little hyperbolic, but not much.

Art Basel is held in Basel, Miami, and Hong Kong. 

so take your pick. 

3 hours ago, Happy said:

For $120K I'd expect a turd taped to the wall, and a video of the artist eating it. Wouldn't pay more than $20K for the banana.

So your preference in performance art seems to be in the lines of 2 girls 1 cup

Each to their own I say, enjoy.

• Like 1

This story reminded me of the "Art History" professor I had in Montréal. She was a staunch Quebéc separatist and was totally in love with artist Mary Kelly's Post-Partum Document.  I preferred to call it Mary Kelly's "Post Pablum" as she used the "end result" to to paint her pictures.

http://www.marykellyartist.com/post_partum_document.html

52 minutes ago, cmilliken said:

Honestly, just sounds like a money laundering scheme hiding under the veil of artistic expression.  

Exactly my thought.    

some agency slipped on the peel tracking the money. 

• Like 1

Don't kid yourself - the patrons of avant garde art are really that stupid.

They are probably the biggest suckers on the face of the earth.

Smug pretension can have a high price.

• Like 1

When the art museum in Corpus Christi opened in 1972 (or so, I was 12) my parents were involved so I got to do the pre-opening tour. There was a plywood box in the center of the floor. I asked when they were going to unpack it, since the opening was in a few days. "That's the art" was the response I got. Just shook my head.....grown ups..........

I'm working on a piece currently that consists of three old bricks and a condom filled with raw egg and cream.

It's a bitter social comment on the pain of homeless AIDS victims in an uncaring capitalist society.

Once the piece is sold for the sticker price ($1,800,000) the performance aspect happens: my dog comes out and rips up the condom to get at the raw egg and cream.

Bidding is only open to those with a 9-figure net worth and an IQ below 72.

12 minutes ago, Bcubed said:

Reminds me of this story:

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/banksy-painting-questions-intl/index.html

Ya gotta admire banksy for his sense of humor.

it's a marketing lesson on how to keep relevant...   plus it was funny as shit and will probably dbl the value of it in the long run...

39 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

it's a marketing lesson on how to keep relevant...   plus it was funny as shit and will probably dbl the value of it in the long run...

Dude that ate it need to poooop it out and start his own art project with it. 

On 12/9/2019 at 7:29 AM, cmilliken said:

Honestly, just sounds like a money laundering scheme hiding under the veil of artistic expression.  

Yep, that artist ain't stupid at all....

Maybe I'm just getting slightly less gullible now that I've crossed the age 60 sandbar, but something in this story makes me doubt that someone actually paid $120K. The story has no interest at all without the price tag. I'm betting it is some sort of financial shell game where no one was truly out of pocket more than a few bucks. Hell of a publicity stunt though!