• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aeropress works very well

The French Press on a friends boat is the best "boat" coffee maker I've ever used - small * stores easily, S/S so as unbreakable as possible, makes coffee quickly and well etc. etc. Basically no

Stainless Bialetti arrived.  Now that is a true cup of euro coffee - no wimps need apply.  Making it is easier than drip, clean up is a bit more involved.

Posted Images

Bialetti sizing if anyone is thinking of getting one.

The '10 cup' really makes like 6 cups (either 6 full strength half demitasse size, or 6 diluted americano mugs)

The '2 cup' size makes one slightly smaller than normal cup.

The '4 cup' makes two decent cups.

The '4 cup' seems the most practical size - is what I would get if doing this all again.  The '10 cup' makes too much even for two big coffee drinkers (yea even if you normally drink like a quart of coffee, this stuff is powerful) but is perfect if you have a small group.  The "2 cup' is perfect if you just want to make a one good sensible sized coffee.

• Like 2

Nescafe Blend 43 Instant Coffee 150g

add hot water , milk and sugar to taste  , job done .

and if it's actually windy and you happen to actually at sea then

Kopiko 3 in One Coffee Mix 20g x 30

On 12/22/2019 at 11:45 AM, European Bloke said:

I was given one of these. It's brilliant.

Small, unbreakable, easy to clean and store. Just add ground coffee and hot water. Happy days.

Does it use a paper filter?... or do you have one of the ones with a reusable metal filter?

And... How are 'coffee snobs' reacting to the aeroPress?

On 12/22/2019 at 4:24 PM, Alex W said:

A downside of the Aeropress is that it does best with a fine grind, which is more work with a manual grinder. 

grinder reccomendation?

12 hours ago, estarzinger said:

Bialetti sizing if anyone is thinking of getting one.

The '10 cup' really makes like 6 cups (either 6 full strength half demitasse size, or 6 diluted americano mugs)

The '2 cup' size makes one slightly smaller than normal cup.

The '4 cup' makes two decent cups.

The '4 cup' seems the most practical size - is what I would get if doing this all again.  The '10 cup' makes too much even for two big coffee drinkers (yea even if you normally drink like a quart of coffee, this stuff is powerful) but is perfect if you have a small group.  The "2 cup' is perfect if you just want to make a one good sensible sized coffee.

italians have smaller cups.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, 2flit said:

Does it use a paper filter?... or do you have one of the ones with a reusable metal filter?

I think the aero press coffee tastes slightly better with paper filter, but on a boat the metal discs would be more practical (and they do make perfectly acceptable.

and the coffee snobs seem to be fine with the aero press.  I think they just mutter under their breath 'its fine, just its a modern improved French press'

1 hour ago, gewoon ik said:

italians have smaller cups.

Those china cups in my photo are in fact proper Demitasse (side story - family got them in the Paris 1900 world expo - I love them).

Perhaps Bialetti is stuck with 'post war rationing' sizing, but the '2 cup' size in particular is almost a perfect 1 cup Demitasse.  Post war rationing I could see that - you could stretch it to like 4 sips each for two people, and that would be your morning and evening 'taste'.

18 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

Small coffee, big guns, copious vineyards but they don't drink too much. Fascinating people. 

And very excellent at making some mechanical things (and not so much some other things).

One of my best friends is an Italian patent lawyer - love going to La Scala with her - simple impressive both for the culture but also the engineering from what like 250 years ago. (edit: yes, yes, I know that is young by European standards. But La Scala is somehow particularly special)

But all that said - I somehow self-identify more as French than Italian (edit while in fact am more the ugly German).

• Like 1
6 hours ago, 2flit said:

Start here for 4 parts on Aeropress by someone who goes deep on all things coffee  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, 2flit said:

grinder reccomendation?

We started using a Hario Skerton this year. Can grind coarse for the French press and fine enough espresso for the Nanopress. 

8532D5C4-D7F4-44E4-B1CE-0E914DBF15EE.jpeg

• Like 3
On 5/21/2021 at 7:41 PM, Max Rockatansky said:

Instant? Tongkat Ali with ginseng, Gold Choice brand

EC1C57F6-B95F-42B5-88FB-2014B4FB66AA.jpeg

F8EBFEBF-18C8-42C7-BC65-88A7486B0583.jpeg

Yeah, those Kopi mixes are mostly sugar, but maybe that's the objective? 

Ah...memories of fishball noodles and a kopi-o for breakfast. I still keep a bottle of kaya around for toast.  We had a place that made the toast over a wood fired grill. 

2 minutes ago, wick said:

We started using a Hario Skerton this year.

Those are nice grinders - cheapish, easy to adjust and the receptacle serves as a closed container.  ours has survived ten years of just being left on the boat. 

26 minutes ago, gewoon ik said:

@estarzinger they use expresso cups as a size. And they are small. 

it is the same as a Demitasse:

"An espresso cup is of a typical size of 2-3 fluid ounces and the cup size is about half of the regular cup of coffee. Hence, the espresso cup is also termed as "Demitasse Cup" in French, which is nothing but half a cup."

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Elegua said:

A pre-mix of (good) instant, hot chocolate and powdered milk - is a pretty good quick and easy kick for night watch.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, estarzinger said:

it is the same as a Demitasse:

"An espresso cup is of a typical size of 2-3 fluid ounces and the cup size is about half of the regular cup of coffee. Hence, the espresso cup is also termed as "Demitasse Cup" in French, which is nothing but half a cup."

the italian expresso cup is smaller than a non-italian expresso cup. (no idea of that still is the case).

Comparing cupsizes over different countries is a bit useless. Every country has it own sizes and preferences. Some countries give you a big cup, but they only use the bottom of the cup.

5 minutes ago, gewoon ik said:

the italian expresso cup is smaller than a non-italian expresso cup. (no idea of that still is the case).

mmm . . . "A regular Italian espresso is about 2 oz.."

You will note in my picture - I did not fill the Demitasse  to the brim.

I honestly think I am using the correct 'reference size' here.

I have drunk coffee and espresso quite a few places around the world :)

but  . . . whatever . . . I was just trying to help people understand the sizing so they bought the right one for them.

30 minutes ago, estarzinger said:

A pre-mix of (good) instant, hot chocolate and powdered milk - is a pretty good quick and easy kick for night watch.

Thanks. I don't like things too sweet, but...I got the habit from my parents to have a stash of chocolate somewhere for, "times of need".  To that I've added having an emergency bottle of Maggie Hot & Sweet or the like to make unpalatable things palatable.  :D 

On 5/21/2021 at 4:24 PM, Elegua said:

As far as grinders go, the Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill is nice

There are a lot of mills available now that use identical burrs to the Hario, but which fit into the Aeropress.  This is nice if space is at a premium. 

I traded my Hario in for a JavaPresse for this reason (and gave the Hario and a spare Aeropress to my brother which he was living the climber’s vanlyfe). 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Elegua said:

For those times one wants instant, I think GC are fairly good tasting all in one and done. I’ve had the Kopi candies and IIRC they are sweeter than the GC coffees

Aeropress wins for quality, though. Bustelo goes in it. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, wick said:

We started using a Hario Skerton this year. Can grind coarse for the French press and fine enough espresso for the Nanopress. 

8532D5C4-D7F4-44E4-B1CE-0E914DBF15EE.jpeg

So... my limited knowledge about coffee only extends to running a La Pavoni manual press at home and a heavy Gaggia grinder at the home office. My understanding has been that the grind needs to be rather (totally) consistent in size for the brew to be excellent.... HOW does this grinder do in that regard?

I'm now on a somewhat (used to be) light weight Trimaran circumnavigating and these types heavy weight coffee equipment excesses are not allowed.... though I would truly enjoy setting up the old Chrome Peacock on the transom steps and handing out free Espressos in the anchorage!

like the way you all went straight past my contribution ... :P

1 hour ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Cooked the living shit out my hand.

Max, I hope that was not recent and you have recovered well and fully.

Interesting that it happened with an aeropress. The design could probably ideally have a 'don't pull the plunger further than this' indent.

Thank y’all, it was recent. And in port, at that.

I grabbed both ‘halves’ to flip the thing over the cup and one hand didn’t move in concert with the other, tilting the plunger, there it went. It was a huge mess, ceiling to floor. I now only grab one ‘side’ and will henceforth keep in the sink. I still believe the AP is the answer for coffee onboard…

Max, the Fellow Prismo on the Aeropress can really help with accidents. Immersion brewing without the inverting. Much more stable and less accident prone.

And pair it with a good hand grinder.

Now if I could just fit a gooseneck onto the Jetboil...I had two accidents with the boat lurching while pouring into the Aeropress. In the same spot on the back on my left hand, of course. Burns suck.

• Like 1

I have a stainless steel French press onboard but I think you guys have convinced me to also bring my old moka pot along. I have a manual burr grinder and a vacuum seal canister for my beans.

8 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I have a stainless steel French press onboard but I think you guys have convinced me to also bring my old moka pot along. I have a manual burr grinder and a vacuum seal canister for my beans.

no no no - AJAX - keep extra shit off your boat! 

This is a battle you need to win.  Focus, fight the reflex to bring that one thing.

Seriously.

Only one coffee maker.

You look at each individual piece and think 'that is small it will not matter' but then a year later if you empty the boat you have a ton of excess crap on the dock which in fact does make all sorts of difference.

I'm looking out for you here.  I'm the angel on your shoulder saying - no :)  Don't listen to than guy with the pitch fork on your other shoulder.

• Like 2

I’m with @estarzinger on that one. F.ex: Madame did have a grinder aboard that she didn’t feel was justified for the space it took up, and kicked it out the boat

but we are fairly strict about unnecessary things/weight. Not only the weight but really just not wanting any extra shit to store, maintain and Jenga when you want to get to whatever else is in the cabinet. The life, to us, is about simplifying, which means less shit. Better boat performance is a perk, in the end 

1 hour ago, estarzinger said:

This is a battle you need to win.  Focus, fight the reflex to bring that one thing.

Seriously.

Only one coffee maker.

You look at each individual piece and think 'that is small it will not matter' but then a year later if you empty the boat you have a ton of excess crap on the dock which in fact does make all sorts of difference.

I'm looking out for you here.  I'm the angel on your shoulder saying - no :)  Don't listen to than guy with the pitch fork on your other shoulder.

The man speaks the truth. It's a constant battle... Honey, that extra dish soap bottle is fine.

No, it's not

How about the 14 coffee cups?

No

Now I've got the moka, a thermos, and a tea pot. And you will suffer with pre-ground, no grinder. That's it for the hot water/coffee/chocolate options...

I just helped a buddy empty his 53 year old boat's (his dad passed it on to him) aft lazarette. Amazing. Truly amazing.  I'm sure it was the "Well, it's back there, not in the way, so maybe I'll need another XYZ." 

He was also wondering why his boat had a permanent list to starboard. Well....

Now if I can just convince him to remove the custom wind-vane contraption....

I'm weak, so we have to do a purge once a year.

We got a free set of very heavy boat china with a full service for eight and I had the distinct impression that a small list went away when we got rid of most of it. 

When I bought the boat I took off enough PO stuff to raise the waterline at around 3". According to the ORC, my sink is 21.42kg/mm.  So....that's theoretically around 1,628 kg removed!  

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Elegua said:

I'm weak, so we have to do a purge once a year.

We got a free set of very heavy boat china with a full service for eight and I had the distinct impression that a small list went away when we got rid of most of it. 

When I bought the boat I took off enough PO stuff to raise the waterline at around 3". According to the ORC, my sink is 21.42kg/mm.  So....that's theoretically around 1,628 kg removed!  

The need to weigh for racing is helpful. Literally everything has to come out. Not everything has to go back on...

4 hours ago, Ajax said:

Ajax - btw, I think you are the only one here who has sailed with me on Hawk.  I feel a bit of responsibility to get you started off properly.  Pls dont take my hmmm directness as any sort of criticism - it is all offered with the best feelings and intentions.

There is a lot that consumer culture has to answer for, and sailing with the proper mindset can put a lot of that right.

Also you should be aware that there is a well known quantum mechanics phenomena with sail boats - they are way bigger on the inside than on the outside (at least the good ones). In part that is a good thing because many look tiny and hopeless for long distant cruising from the outside, but it is also a bad thing because a metric shit ton of stuff can get socked away and forgotten.

8 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

I should mention, the Aeropress inverted method does have potential for injury. Thing came apart as I was flipping it. Cooked the living shit out my hand.

5F072116-490B-4F66-B037-AE1210D20A28.jpeg

Flipping it? Me no understand.

+1 on forgetting stuff onboard.  We've owned our boat 11 years, and this year I did a big purge and tossed a lot of stuff that hadn't been used in 10 years.  I've also established the "work on the boat" kit that can travel, instead of leaving a 200 piece socket wrench kit on board all summer.  There is more work to be done though, I will leave a brush for scrubbing the deck but we've never used both of them so one can go home...

I did take the coffee percolator off the boat when we bought the Aeropress, but we also bought a grinder at the same time, so still a net weight gain...

Coffee. . . I have lots of stories.

My son was the Marketing Director of Terra Facciano Italiano Coffee, then Seattle's Best Coffee, and later for a division of Starbucks.

Our next door neighbor is the former CEO of Starbucks. . . the GOOD Howard.  Howard said that one of the worst things that Starbucks ever did was to kill off the Terra Facciano Italiano Coffee brand, it was absolutely the best.  

Howard's $10k machine makes really good coffee, and we have really good coffee available in the neighborhood.  My son says that if you have good coffee, you could drink it at any temperature, which I do.  I tend to use a cone and filter, although I can even drink VIA's and Folgers under duress.

We have Nespresso machines both at home and in the motorhome that my wife loves.

@estarzingerWhat's your take on the coffee from the moca pot?  We typically make a latte style coffee.  We have the 4 cup model and it makes 4 nice lattes.

Keeping crap off the boat is a constant battle.  I have tried to institute a one-on one-off policy, but the Admiral and crew seem to find ways past this rule.

At the end of this season we are hauling the boat somewhere new for a bit of work.  I am going to use this as an excuse to empty everything off the boat.  Every locker.  Every drawer.  Under every floor board, berth, etc.  Cockpit lockers.  Everywhere.  Then in the next spring what ever I haven't thrown-out/donated/etc will be carefully examined before being allowed back onboard!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, jacrider said:

@estarzingerWhat's your take on the coffee from the moca pot? 

We typically make a latte style coffee.  We have the 4 cup model and it makes 4 nice lattes.

I am still dialing in the coffee and grind a bit, but it is my favorite brew atm - rich strong coffee with no silt.

How much milk by volume is in a lattee?  Edit - looks like google says 1:5 or 1:6 by volume, so yes, I exactly see how you get 4 perfect lattee's out of this.

I just made a brew in 4 cup pot - This is the entire output in an American size mug*.  I will add like two table spoons of half and half.  I'm not complaining at all - it is terrific - I just think American's thinking which size pot to buy need some frame of reference or they may be put off.

IMG_0420.thumb.jpg.371fe8c5f448cd577fa0a09414a6b439.jpg

* edit: and yes, I fill to just below the valve.  I do pour it immediately as it starts to sputter so I do miss a tiny bit of volume from early pour but I think that keeps the flavor best. and yes, I just double checked that is the 4 cup pot.

14 hours ago, estarzinger said:

Ajax - btw, I think you are the only one here who has sailed with me on Hawk.  I feel a bit of responsibility to get you started off properly.  Pls dont take my hmmm directness as any sort of criticism - it is all offered with the best feelings and intentions.

There is a lot that consumer culture has to answer for, and sailing with the proper mindset can put a lot of that right.

Also you should be aware that there is a well known quantum mechanics phenomena with sail boats - they are way bigger on the inside than on the outside (at least the good ones). In part that is a good thing because many look tiny and hopeless for long distant cruising from the outside, but it is also a bad thing because a metric shit ton of stuff can get socked away and forgotten.

I have never forgotten what you told me-

That many cruisers try to bring their dirt life with them (and all of the accoutrements), rather than embrace the life of sailors and its freedom from material possessions and consumerism. (paraphrasing)

I'm bringing a laptop for navigation and planning. Practically everything else onboard is related to sailing, maintenance and repair.  I'm bringing 2 seasons of clothing- warm and cold, which will take up some space. (I'm a little paranoid about hypothermia after getting badly chilled during an overnight race in August.)

I have a couple of cast iron skillets and a pressure cooker in the galley. I've avoided single purpose kitchen gadgets as best I can (maybe I'll leave that moka pot behind). I'm bringing a small bottle of rum for myself and 1-2 bottles of wine to give as gifts to people that I might run into.

I've set aside a good sized locker for provisions along with the 'fridge. I have prepared healthy snacks and fruit that I can eat one-handed in bad weather that require no preparation.

19 hours ago, estarzinger said:

Seriously.

Only one coffee maker.

Ok, no burr grinder and one coffee pot. I have ground coffee but you have to let me bring the vaccuum canister. ;)

@Ajax the only things I'd add to your list is a Kindle an iPod and a pack of cards / backgammon / some kind of game. Nothing like settling down in the evening or a quiet watch with a book or a rainy lay-day with tea and a couple rounds of backgammon. 

17 minutes ago, Elegua said:

@Ajax the only things I'd add to your list is a Kindle an iPod and a pack of cards / backgammon / some kind of game. Nothing like settling down in the evening or a quiet watch with a book or a rainy lay-day with tea and a couple rounds of backgammon. 

cards . . lol . . . after our 6 months at sea Beth told me I was not talking enough/we were not interacting enough - she offered a choice - an hour conversation each day or card games. I picked the card games, and she proceeded to beat me 99% of the time for like the next 3 months. I gradually shifted the game to more chance oriented and she still beat me.  I HATE losing, so I finally threw in the towel and said I was ready for deep and meaningful conversations lol.

• Like 3
Just now, estarzinger said:

cards . . lol . . . after our 6 months at sea Beth told me I was not talking enough/we were not interacting enough - she offered a choice - an hour conversation each day or card games. I picked the card games, and she proceeded to beat me 99% of the time for like the next 3 months. I gradually shifted the game to more chance oriented and she still beat me.  I HATE losing, so I finally threw in the towel and said I was ready for deep and meaningful conversations lol.

:D     Only after all other options have been explored.  Fortunately my wife and I are fairly evenly matched when it comes to games.  In almost everything else she has me beat cold.  I tend to get lost in my head, so I appreciate, (if grudgingly at times), someone who is, "on", most of the time.   

2 hours ago, Elegua said:

My smartphone serves as my music storage. Funny you should mention it, I have a Kindle sitting in my Amazon cart. I'll purchase it tomorrow (payday).

We have several compact games onboard- Cribbage (the traditional submariner's pastime), UNO (great for causing temper tantrums in adults and children alike) and a compact, travel Scrabble set. So far, our preference is Scrabble. My wife used to fret that my vocabulary was larger than hers, but there's only so much you can do with "QYYAPDC." Random chance has favored her several times.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Ajax said:

My smartphone serves as my music storage. Funny you should mention it, I have a Kindle sitting in my Amazon cart. I'll purchase it tomorrow (payday)

Save yourself the extra money and device: install the (free!) Kindle software on yer phone. 

27 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Save yourself the extra money and device: install the (free!) Kindle software on yer phone. 

I have, but the screen is small for long reading sessions and the sunlight washes it out.  Everyone raves about the Kindle paperwhite.

Not a coffee snob, more of an addict/fiend with good taste, I think I've been through them all, at least the non-electric ones (and most of those, too). AeroPress, Moka, Bialetti, French presses, drips, etc etc., and after all that 'market research', I think the Presse by Bobble is the most bestest sailboat coffeemaker I have used.

Easy cleaning with very simple stainless construction, the main cup/body is double walled which keeps coffee warm, and obviates the need for a space-taking handle. Compact in size, the filter element is reusable, stainless, and stows inside the cup. The cup can also be used solo for any other drink hot or cold. It needs minimal water for clean up, can't break, has no dementia-causing aluminum in it (is that still a 'thing'?).

I long ago lost the lid part, but I make a strong brew (usually using Cafe Bustelo, or similar) and pour off from the Bobble into small ~4 oz SST double walled cups. These little cups bleed the brew heat just enough that I can start drinking it straight away after making a 'pot', and being so small they don't have enough surface area inside to allow much mess-making slosh effect when the boat is moving. The Presse makes about 2.5 of these per brew.

I'm not affiliated, just a fan of the products.

Bobble 'Presse' - https://www.amazon.com/Presse-bobble-Tumbler-Stainless-Portable/dp/B07121GNCM

Small Camping cups - https://www.ebay.com/itm/113986163435

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ajax said:

I have, but the screen is small for long reading sessions and the sunlight washes it out.  Everyone raves about the Kindle paperwhite.

Seconded, thirded, etc... I read 2-3 books weekly, and though I do have phone/tablet/dead tree access, the Kindle is the best experience overall and well worth the price, especially if you buy a refurb unit. I have a PW now (for the backlight and waterproofness), but owned two other earlier versions.

2 minutes ago, CapnK said:

Seconded, thirded, etc... I read 2-3 books weekly, and though I do have phone/tablet/dead tree access, the Kindle is the best experience overall and well worth the price, especially if you buy a refurb unit. I have a PW now (for the backlight and waterproofness), but owned two other earlier versions.

Yeah, I want it for the waterproofness. 

So I get the cool tech with Aeropress, bobble, whatever, but what is the aversion to making a whacking great pot of coffee? One of the reasons I favour a percolator on my boat is that upon completion of brewing I have four solid cups of coffee on my stove. Sometimes the wife and I even make a second perc, especially if we are rafted with another coffee lover who has only a tiny french press... these machines seem too dainty for my coffee appetites.

6 hours ago, Ajax said:

It's pretty cool. Now if I could just find mine, goddamnit!

6 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

So I get the cool tech with Aeropress, bobble, whatever, but what is the aversion to making a whacking great pot of coffee? One of the reasons I favour a percolator on my boat is that upon completion of brewing I have four solid cups of coffee on my stove. Sometimes the wife and I even make a second perc, especially if we are rafted with another coffee lover who has only a tiny french press... these machines seem too dainty for my coffee appetites.

As a singlehander, one 'Bobble-full' is usually all I'll drink in the AM. If I want more, or have company, it only takes 3-4 minutes to hot up some H2O for another. Never have to drink old, oxygenated brew that way, is what I like most about it. I also prefer my brew to rank just below espresso on the 'strong, dark' scale. :) Being able to make it single serve also keeps wastage to a minimum; I go through an 11.5 oz bag of grind in two weeks, give or take.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, CapnK said:

As a singlehander, one 'Bobble-full' is usually all I'll drink in the AM. If I want more, or have company, it only takes 3-4 minutes to hot up some H2O for another. Never have to drink old, oxygenated brew that way, is what I like most about it. I also prefer my brew to rank just below espresso on the 'strong, dark' scale. :) Being able to make it single serve also keeps wastage to a minimum; I go through an 11.5 oz bag of grind in two weeks, give or take.

+1 plus the cleaning simplicity of AP: eject puck of grounds and rinse the device, yer done. Also is small, for easy storage.

Another saver: enclosed kettle. We live aboard and use a 10lb bottle of gas maybe every 60 days. It helps that I’m not heating more water than the two cups necessary, also

3 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

+1 plus the cleaning simplicity of AP: eject puck of grounds and rinse the device, yer done. Also is small, for easy storage.

FWIW - You can easily and safely reuse the paper filters in the AP - just peel it off the grounds prior to total 'ejection' (<- some fun can be had with that, I'm sure :D), and let it dry out. Good as new on the next use, if a bit darker in color. I wanted to see if it was possible, as I imagine AP filters may not be easy to find everywhere.
Used one filter for several weeks, it was still working fine when I was finished experimenting.

On 5/27/2021 at 7:20 AM, estarzinger said:

I am still dialing in the coffee and grind a bit, but it is my favorite brew atm - rich strong coffee with no silt.

How much milk by volume is in a lattee?  Edit - looks like google says 1:5 or 1:6 by volume, so yes, I exactly see how you get 4 perfect lattee's out of this.

I just made a brew in 4 cup pot - This is the entire output in an American size mug*.  I will add like two table spoons of half and half.  I'm not complaining at all - it is terrific - I just think American's thinking which size pot to buy need some frame of reference or they may be put off.

IMG_0420.thumb.jpg.371fe8c5f448cd577fa0a09414a6b439.jpg

* edit: and yes, I fill to just below the valve.  I do pour it immediately as it starts to sputter so I do miss a tiny bit of volume from early pour but I think that keeps the flavor best. and yes, I just double checked that is the 4 cup pot.

Glad you are enjoying it.  Yes we are likely 4:1 or so when we make a latte.  Bialetti has a milk frother that goes on your stove.  So on one burner, we have the mocha pot, and the frother on the other.  Nice morning ritual.

8 hours ago, CapnK said:

FWIW - You can easily and safely reuse the paper filters in the AP - just peel it off the grounds prior to total 'ejection' (<- some fun can be had with that, I'm sure :D), and let it dry out. Good as new on the next use, if a bit darker in color. I wanted to see if it was possible, as I imagine AP filters may not be easy to find everywhere.
Used one filter for several weeks, it was still working fine when I was finished experimenting.

I have metal mesh filters for my AP, they eventually tore, and then I ended up with a perforated metal disc that seems to be more durable.

ive got a bobble on order. Whole thing is the same price as the fellow brand valve, so I’ll give the Bob a try

• Like 1
On 5/25/2021 at 4:25 PM, estarzinger said:

mmm . . . "A regular Italian espresso is about 2 oz.."

You will note in my picture - I did not fill the Demitasse  to the brim.

I honestly think I am using the correct 'reference size' here.

I have drunk coffee and espresso quite a few places around the world :)

but  . . . whatever . . . I was just trying to help people understand the sizing so they bought the right one for them.

doens't really matter. As long as the coffee is good.

On 5/28/2021 at 7:01 PM, Max Rockatansky said:

ive got a bobble on order. Whole thing is the same price as the fellow brand valve, so I’ll give the Bob a try

Keep us posted. One thing I can pass along - when 'smooshing' the coffee, go slow and use a little wobble technique on the presser part. Otherwise you can create a hot coffee volcano effect. :D
I also swirl mine a couple times before smooshing it, and that seems to help make it go down really easy. Maybe it gets some of the grounds to sink away from the steel perf mesh of the press.

• Like 1
On 12/21/2019 at 3:25 PM, SloopJonB said:

The French Press on a friends boat is the best "boat" coffee maker I've ever used - small * stores easily, S/S so as unbreakable as possible, makes coffee quickly and well etc. etc.

Basically no downside except only 3 cups at a time.

One table spoon per cup and that's it. If you don't get a cup you like, change coffee.

+1000

I tried the inverted AP method this weekend. It made really, really good coffee. Thanks SA. Thats now my go to method. The only issue is with stability, I could see issues with a rolly anchorage, and will stick with the standard method when underway. 

9 minutes ago, Mizzmo said:

I tried the inverted AP method this weekend. It made really, really good coffee. Thanks SA. Thats now my go to method. The only issue is with stability, I could see issues with a rolly anchorage, and will stick with the standard method when underway. 

That makes sense.

The rubber plunger also ages over time and makes for a much looser fit.  When that happens it is a lot easier to have accidents with the AP (especially inverted, but also regular way).  I've noticed that my office Aeropress is in especially bad shape right now.  Luckily there are replacement ones available.

I have enjoyed the many trials and tribulations. Our beloved GSI french press had the insulating cover fail and my wife tossed the whole apparatus. Why? No idea.

When we have company aboard, e.g. the degenerates for deliveries, I add this oversized bastard to the kit and like it:

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Stay-French-Press-48oz/dp/B07L6LQHB4/

However, it's huge. As well, the kettle we've been using is very wide and it's difficult to squeeze it and the frying pan on the stove at the same time. So, we tried this guy last weekend:

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Adventure-All-French-Press/dp/B07L6MLC6J/ref=sxin_10

Garbage. Utter garbage. Fatally, the rather nifty plunging mechanism allows the brewed elixir to sneak around the seal and come out under the spout. Also, you can't keep the lid on while boiling, or it least the rubber seals seem unlikely to survive.

I might go percolator next as the GSI unit, which used to be a fair $25 or so, is now $40+. The aeropress, which I love at home, is not a great option on the boat, in my mind.

• Like 1
On 6/1/2021 at 1:38 PM, Mizzmo said:

Just put the rig in the sink. Falls over, so what?

I am sipping at the new Bobble while I write this. It’s heavy. Seems well made. I suspect that cleaning is not quite as simple as the AP; the gasket for the plunger is wide and not that easy to get off, and the strainer part seemed to be binding up on the plunger apparatus but both may ease with use. the bobble certainly will be far safer aboard than the AP and about the same storage space. And the entire bobble is the same price as the valve offered for the AP

• Like 1
On 5/20/2021 at 5:12 PM, estarzinger said:

so, I have used pretty much all the methods here except the Bialetti.  I stayed away because they offer it in packaged with spare parts (like a gasket and some other stuff) and I did not want to have to do 'maintenance' on my coffee system.

So, for those who have used them - how frequently do you have to do something 'maintenance like' - is it more like 'only once a decade' or 'once a year', or?

And how does the coffee compare to the best drip (I have a Japanese glass Kalita Wave that I really like) or to the aeropress. I'm on the euro (more French than Italian)/stronger end of the taste spectrum.

We are on our first set of everything with our stainless „6 tazze“ Bialetti at home. Use it every day for about 20 years. We may have changed the gasket once, or was that on the „4 tazze“ I had before? It took two minutes, so I don’t know anymore... 

Really, you cannot go wrong with a Bialetti. 

Max - to take apart strainer/plunger, for me it works best to spread the forces around the perimeter of the strainer part as equally as possible while unscrewing. I hold it in left hand, put fingertips of right hand into the 'cup' area at bottom of the plunger, then spread them apart and twist to unscrew it.
Once the 'cup' is off, the gasket slides on/off easily.
That said, it rinses well enough that not much gets left behind, so I only disassemble every few uses.

• Like 1