Jump to content

Comanche sold again?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As it seems Comanche is heading away from Sydney, just wanted to thank all of the owners and crew from day one of her times in Sydney for welcoming a gazilion excited little kids from Hunters Hill Sai

Yeah that was awesome... we turned the corner, unfurled the zero with full main in 25+ and blasted home doing speeds that I don't usually do..... until we stabbed the sunfish with the port rudder...

I should add that in the middle pic taken in December 2015 there is a bunch of young sailors ... three of the girls this summer were the top U/19 Australian radial sailor at nationals, the three time

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

Assess Marine has a a photo on Instagram of Comanche being lifted with the title “survey underway.”

Sven Runow of Assess Marine sails on Comanche so you would think a bit close to home and conflicted for it to be a "purchasers survey."

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Sven Runow of Assess Marine sails on Comanche so you would think a bit close to home and conflicted for it to be a "purchasers survey."

He was also pretty instrumental in getting Bumblebee (Jim’s other boat) off the beach in one piece, rather than in several small ones but there’s no reason he can’t be there as simply an “interested party / owner’s rep.” How many really good marine surveyors are there with knowledge of a yacht that big and complex?

 

Sven spent a lot of years in the Oats camp, so he’s got experience across more than just the big Indian. Plus - he’s a genuinely nice guy to boot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jason AUS said:

...but there’s no reason he can’t be there as simply an “interested party / owner’s rep.” How many really good marine surveyors are there with knowledge of a yacht that big and complex?

Jason don't get me wrong I agree. In fact a thinking purchaser would, with JC's concurrence, ignore any potential conflict and engage him in a heartbeat for the reasons you say. Then again surveys go beyond transactions like insurance renewal/changes and transport insurance for JC campaigning her in Europe this year etc.

Got to keep the crowd here guessing :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Jason don't get me wrong I agree. In fact a thinking purchaser would, with JC's concurrence, ignore any potential conflict and engage him in a heartbeat for the reasons you say. Then again surveys go beyond transactions like insurance renewal/changes and transport insurance for JC campaigning her in Europe this year etc.

Got to keep the crowd here guessing :-)

Watch my left hand.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jason AUS said:

Watch my left hand.....

Gotcha ;-)

19 minutes ago, Spreader Boots said:

6D16BA03-EBD9-47EA-8C50-A5D3B8BD09A3.png

Mate Instagram post is obviously today but that photo was taken 3 years ago when Clark/Hinz owned her and taken by Assess Marine who did the purchaser survey for Cooney then.

Jumping to obvious conclusions..but nothing happening here.

images - 2020-01-04T172727.596.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Dark Knight said:

You would hope that a professional surveyor with a reputation to protect and a legal liability towards their purchasing client would be performing an impartial survey.

Hoppy my experience with "professional" (repeat professional) surveyors offshore and in a couple of states in Aust going back 40 years is they are anal in that regard. "Word of mouth" referrals play a large part in new business in this business, even in the internet age and likewise can obliterate it in a heartbeat.

Having said that it is quite reasonable for "perception bias" to come into play if someone believes judgements might be influenced, even unconsciously if there is some connection between their advisor and the party on the opposing side. That is quite normal in the business and professional advisory world, mainly because really good people are often in short supply (like this case of Sven Runow) and so accepted with steps taken to remove that "perception".

Buying and selling of boats is no different for those who understand/have experience with that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2020 at 3:23 AM, jack_sparrow said:

Hoppy my experience with "professional" (repeat professional) surveyors offshore and in a couple of states in Aust going back 40 years is they are anal in that regard. "Word of mouth" referrals play a large part in new business in this business, even in the internet age and likewise can obliterate it in a heartbeat.

Having said that it is quite reasonable for "perception bias" to come into play if someone believes judgements might be influenced, even unconsciously if there is some connection between their advisor and the party on the opposing side. That is quite normal in the business and professional advisory world, mainly because really good people are often in short supply (like this case of Sven Runow) and so accepted with steps taken to remove that "perception".

Buying and selling of boats is no different for those who understand/have experience with that.

And sometimes the “perception” can cut both ways. If “your guy” acting for the other party finds bad news it may be easier to accept and digest it than if you feel the “other guy’s guy” is exaggerating bad news to knock the price down.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2020 at 6:58 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Gotcha ;-)

Mate Instagram post is obviously today but that photo was taken 3 years ago when Clark/Hinz owned her and taken by Assess Marine who did the purchaser survey for Cooney then.

Jumping to obvious conclusions..but nothing happening here.

images - 2020-01-04T172727.596.jpeg

Survey done prior to Hobart.... Yes i know what i said in December.. but...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was under the impression Commanche was built with the option to be either, so they could go powered for max performance, but still go manual for records that required it. Then Jim converted it to powered only? But I could be talking out of my arse there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JonRowe said:

I was under the impression Commanche was built with the option to be either, so they could go powered for max performance, but still go manual for records that required it. Then Jim converted it to powered only? But I could be talking out of my arse there.

You aren't listening. The manual/powered argument is just for adjustment of the sails. Canting keels are fine. The boat had one or two powered pit winches for hoisting, furling/unfurling and dropping sails that could be deactivated for manually powered records only - the only one of which they ever really went for was the Transatlantic Race.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jackolantern said:

You aren't listening. The manual/powered argument is just for adjustment of the sails. Canting keels are fine. The boat had one or two powered pit winches for hoisting, furling/unfurling and dropping sails that could be deactivated for manually powered records only - the only one of which they ever really went for was the Transatlantic Race.

Sorry I thought we were talking about winches, I didn't think anyone doubted that she had a canting keel from birth...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2020 at 10:53 PM, The Dark Knight said:

You would hope that a professional surveyor with a reputation to protect and a legal liability towards their purchasing client would be performing an impartial survey.

I will/would not take on a pre-purchase survey of any yacht that I had actively been crewing on and there have been several.  It’s not a case of being objectively impartial, it’s more the case of perceived conflict of interest.  I need the money, trust me with a kid still in college!  But, it is not worth the risk of being accused of some bias toward the seller.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

I will/would not take on a pre-purchase survey of any yacht that I had actively been crewing on and there have been several.  It’s not a case of being objectively impartial, it’s more the case of perceived conflict of interest.  I need the money, trust me with a kid still in college!  But, it is not worth the risk of being accused of some bias toward the seller.

 

 

 

SR is a professional.... There are no mates at this level... I see no reason why he shouldn't do the survey... In fact I see him being more thorough than ever and the fact he has an intimate knowledge of the boat means he can be.....  He would never hide things that weren't right and Jim would not want him to. If there was a problem Jim would just fix it according to the report.

my 2 cents

BTW... I don't believe the deal is signed off yet so...............................................................................
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

Clutch? Just use a cam cleat!

Just a butt cleat required surely. Self tacking that way, crew gets up during the tack and the keel goes over :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

SR is a professional.... There are no mates at this level... I see no reason why he shouldn't do the survey... In fact I see him being more thorough than ever and the fact he has an intimate knowledge of the boat means he can be.....  He would never hide things that weren't right and Jim would not want him to. If there was a problem Jim would just fix it according to the report.

my 2 cents

BTW... I don't believe the deal is signed off yet so...............................................................................
 

 

How can we believe anything you post now after deliberately bullshitting pre Hobart race.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trt131 said:

How can we believe anything you post now after deliberately bullshitting pre Hobart race.

Umm, that's a bit harsh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, trt131 said:

How can we believe anything you post now after deliberately bullshitting pre Hobart race.

I technically didn't lie... I delivered the company statement. Jim has had interest from several  parties wanting the boat since the day he bought it... It was officially not for sale prior to Hobart
But I get your point

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

I technically didn't lie... I delivered the company statement. Jim has had interest from several  parties wanting the boat since the day he bought it... It was officially not for sale prior to Hobart
But I get your point

 

PIL, the best thing would have been to say nothing no matter how much prompting there was.  It would have kept your standing in the SA community, now its all shot to shit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad to see Comanche go but Ricco will be having a party at his joint no doubt.! (Not that he would ever admit it). Surprised to hear Black Jack may be gone as well? All the mods for a new owner or a last ditch desperate attempt at winning the Hobart? Mark Bradford's predictions on the mods may have been wrong? 

This leaves Wild Oats as the clear favourite from hear on in. We were spoiled and perhaps I was naive to think it might continue? LOL 

Not liking the future anywhere as much now......:unsure:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

To quote LB.... I love this place

Don’t tell LB but many of us miss the idiot. His socks ain’t the same as the original. 
 

And Phil your cred is just fine. If somebody can’t understand it says more about them.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding on BJ is that she is leaving Australian water but not changing owners.

I was lead to believe this was for tax purposes (eg. she'll be registered in Monaco?) but she will return to Australia after a certain time.

I am no expert on Australian tax law and it's only something I was told by someone connected with the boat/owner so take it how you will!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mezaire said:

My understanding on BJ is that she is leaving Australian water but not changing owners.

I was lead to believe this was for tax purposes (eg. she'll be registered in Monaco?) but she will return to Australia after a certain time.

I am no expert on Australian tax law and it's only something I was told by someone connected with the boat/owner so take it how you will!! 

BJ 100 is on the Australian Shipping Registry and given the time she has been here already, I can't imagine it is for purchase tax reasons. The GST must have been paid and duty not applicable, But like you, I don't know the tax laws.

Maybe it is leaving simply because Harburg has racing ambitions that go beyond Aus. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

BJ 100 is on the Australian Shipping Registry and given the time she has been here already, I can't imagine it is for purchase tax reasons. The GST must have been paid and duty not applicable, But like you, I don't know the tax laws.

Maybe it is leaving simply because Harburg has racing ambitions that go beyond Aus. 

Isn’t BJ going to the EU to race for the next couple of seasons? Hence the registration in Monaco?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Next Level said:

Isn’t BJ going to the EU to race for the next couple of seasons? Hence the registration in Monaco?

It is Aus registered

https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels-operators/ship-registration/list-registered-ships/black-jack-100

Club registration means nothing. Given the shit going on at RQYS, I would not be surprised if that was the reason for the club change, as he was probably already a member at Monaco.

Harburg can keep BJ within the EU for 18 months no problem. When he takes it to the UK for the next Fastnet in 18 months time, the 18 month EU time will be reset. Although if it will be based in Europe for a while, it would be logical to take it to the Caribbean.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's either so they don't have to pay import taxes when entering Europe for their grand tour, or they're just soo ashamed of the continued fuckery going on at RQ that they've decided to register the boat with a club on the other side of the world to avoid being associated. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

It's either so they don't have to pay import taxes when entering Europe 

A mentioned, they can be there 18 month tax free

37 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

 they're just soo ashamed of the continued fuckery going on at RQ that they've decided to register the boat with a club on the other side of the world to avoid being associated. 

a strong possibility...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

It's either so they don't have to pay import taxes when entering Europe for their grand tour, or they're just soo ashamed of the continued fuckery going on at RQ that they've decided to register the boat with a club on the other side of the world to avoid being associated. 

Registered as Australian Ship with homeport of Brisbane so EU VAT liable unless it doesn't stay there long enough. Depending on country many now abandoned tax free fixed terms  and measured as exceeding a percentage of the trips exiting that countries waters over a calendar year period. Private (quarantine any sponsor income) so no income subject to VAT and moving in and out should make it all easy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 10:56 AM, trt131 said:

PIL, the best thing would have been to say nothing no matter how much prompting there was.  It would have kept your standing in the SA community, now its all shot to shit.

Information is worth what it costs you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Registered as Australian Ship with homeport of Brisbane so EU VAT liable unless it doesn't stay there long enough. Depending on country many now abandoned tax free fixed terms  and measured as exceeding a percentage of the trips exiting that countries waters over a calendar year period. Private (quarantine any sponsor income) so no income subject to VAT and moving in and out should make it all easy.

Haven't we all heard of Georgetown? My understanding is they can't be in Australia for more than 6 months at a time otherwise the TAX man comes knocking? Something along these lines anyway and can you blame them? The Australian Government is one of the many "PIRATES" of the high seas.... In all my OS trips on boats the PORTS are littered with OZZIE boats that can't return home. It's cheaper to employ 2 x Deckees's in a remote port than bring your boat home? It doesn't make sense in BJ's case but what would I know? I suspect all big boat owners have done the math on this one, each to their own. CHOOSE YOUR FLAG WISELY

https://nomadcapitalist.com/2017/07/17/ultimate-guide-yacht-registration/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

 ...In  all my OS trips on boats the PORTS are littered with OZZIE boats that can't return home. It's cheaper to  employ 2 x Deckees's in a remote port than bring your boat home? It doesn't make sense in BJ's case but what would I know?..

Nearly all countries tax foriegn flagged vessels if they don't keep going, Aust is no different. You only get taxed once. Leave and return as many times as you like.

I think Comanche is still registered in Georgetown and has exited Aust once since acquired.

Link to post
Share on other sites

She possibly had the European VAT paid when she was Esmit Europa, so she should return there, I think within 2 years, to keep the VAT Paid status current? It'd make it easier to eventually sell to an EU owner if she's VAT paid. Dunno.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Next Level said:

Isn’t BJ going to the EU to race for the next couple of seasons? Hence the registration in Monaco?

Registration in Monaco has nothing to do with VAT being paid, or not paid.  BJ gets 18 months tax free in EU and must then pay up or leave but leaving isn't so bad.  They only have to go to Turkey or Morocco and they can restart the 18 month period.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, savoir said:

Registration in Monaco has nothing to do with VAT being paid, or not paid.  BJ gets 18 months tax free in EU and must then pay up or leave but leaving isn't so bad.  They only have to go to Turkey or Morocco and they can restart the 18 month period.

Or if the UK ever manage to brexit just do the fastnet race.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done to Jim for buying it & racing it down here! It was great to see the competition,  especially as it wasn’t follow-the-leader AIS racing which I find boring as hell in the VOR. Comanche passed us going home in 2018 prob 200m away. It was off Maria we had two reefs & no4 & they were full hoist blasting back the other way in 30-35, it was awesome to see it fully lit up. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Dark Knight said:

I hope JC is going to do something interesting next.

Unravelling the great WOXI myth wasn't interesting enough for you?

Has he sold Brinders yet?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2020 at 12:40 AM, savoir said:

Registration in Monaco has nothing to do with VAT being paid, or not paid.  BJ gets 18 months tax free in EU and must then pay up or leave but leaving isn't so bad.  They only have to go to Turkey or Morocco and they can restart the 18 month period.

Monaco isn't the first place that springs to mind when you think about paying tax. Not paying tax perhaps...

Link to post
Share on other sites

It'd be sweet to see a new build, but why would you build a new 100ft'er when you've just sold the record holding "most powerful" monohull... And now you've won line honours a few times to you really want to keep throwing cash at it? JC's boats also routinely do the CYCA twilights for corporate bits or pleasure etc, so could we see something smaller with an eye on getting the Tattersalls cup? I'd love him to go toe to toe with Ichi with a new 52 etc 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JonRowe said:

It'd be sweet to see a new build, but why would you build a new 100ft'er when you've just sold the record holding "most powerful" monohull... And now you've won line honours a few times to you really want to keep throwing cash at it? JC's boats also routinely do the CYCA twilights for corporate bits or pleasure etc, so could we see something smaller with an eye on getting the Tattersalls cup? I'd love him to go toe to toe with Ichi with a new 52 etc 

I agree on the 100

I'd like to see this......

On 1/1/2020 at 1:20 PM, jack_sparrow said:

There will probably not be another 100 footer built again....Once mini maxi size foilers are developed enough to handle mixed conditions year in year out they will be the new Division O. The current crop landfill or for Whitsunday backpackers losing their lunch over.

Andrew Buckland has said matching polars to 2018 Race weather this boat would have finished in front of the 100 footers. It's design pedigree is obviously the T Ruddered 2018 VOR Super 60 which was abandoned by the RO.

Sydney Hobart Foiler Design

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JonRowe said:

It'd be sweet to see a new build, but why would you build a new 100ft'er when you've just sold the record holding "most powerful" monohull... And now you've won line honours a few times to you really want to keep throwing cash at it? JC's boats also routinely do the CYCA twilights for corporate bits or pleasure etc, so could we see something smaller with an eye on getting the Tattersalls cup? I'd love him to go toe to toe with Ichi with a new 52 etc 

Wasn’t there a small rumour about something from 60 to 72 foot foiling mono being a possibility?? Got to love this place for rumours    :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, trt131 said:

WOXI beat the Indian across the 3 out of 5, hardly unraveled the myth.

You're only as good or bad as your last race. WOXI was dicked, big time. Even they admit that.

Back to the drawing board or has that particular dead horse been flogged one too many times?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Last Post said:

You're only as good or bad as your last race. WOXI was dicked, big time. Even they admit that.

Back to the drawing board or has that particular dead horse been flogged one too many times?

they got slower for sure. boat for boat they weren't visibly faster than any of the 100's until it got light around the iron pot. some mods work, others don't, at least they're out there doing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2020 at 1:15 PM, SCANAS said:

Well done to Jim for buying it & racing it down here! It was great to see the competition,  especially as it wasn’t follow-the-leader AIS racing which I find boring as hell in the VOR. Comanche passed us going home in 2018 prob 200m away. It was off Maria we had two reefs & no4 & they were full hoist blasting back the other way in 30-35, it was awesome to see it fully lit up. 

Yeah that was awesome... we turned the corner, unfurled the zero with full main in 25+ and blasted home doing speeds that I don't usually do..... until we stabbed the sunfish with the port rudder...

On 1/23/2020 at 5:27 PM, Last Post said:

Unravelling the great WOXI myth wasn't interesting enough for you?

Has he sold Brinders yet?

Brindas sitting at Birkenhead for sale

On 1/23/2020 at 10:14 PM, The Dark Knight said:

Brinders is still listed.

I'm hoping that JC doesn't simply step back and settle for racing Maserati (as it currently is) 

Maserati is an awesome boat and he loves it now more than ever

This was taken passing @SCANAS

Comanche_1.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2020 at 9:18 AM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Yeah that was awesome... we turned the corner, unfurled the zero with full main in 25+ and blasted home doing speeds that I don't usually do..... until we stabbed the sunfish with the port rudder...

Brindas sitting at Birkenhead for sale

Maserati is an awesome boat and he loves it now more than ever

This was taken passing @SCANAS

Comanche_1.jpg

You stepped away from the main????! :o

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2020 at 11:42 AM, Last Post said:

You're only as good or bad as your last race. WOXI was dicked, big time. Even they admit that.

Back to the drawing board or has that particular dead horse been flogged one too many times?

Wild Oats only beat the Indian because they parked up. They weren't faster until it became a drifter. The only boat that looked faster than in previous occasions was Scallywag IMO. The surprise boat was Infotrack which comfortably beat the Reichel Pughs. It seems the Indian's speed advantage won't be a factor anymore with her gone OS so Oats only has to beat 2 other 100's if Scally goes as well?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Wild Oats only beat the Indian because they parked up. They weren't faster until it became a drifter. The only boat that looked faster than in previous occasions was Scallywag IMO. The surprise boat was Infotrack which comfortably beat the Reichel Pughs. It seems the Indian's speed advantage won't be a factor anymore with her gone OS so Oats only has to beat 2 other 100's if Scally goes as well?

One if Scallywag doesn't come back, two if Scallywag does come back.

 

Commanche = Gone

Black Jack = Gone

Scallywag = Wasn't it advertised for $5 Million in December?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Wild Oats only beat the Indian because they parked up. They weren't faster until it became a drifter. The only boat that looked faster than in previous occasions was Scallywag IMO. The surprise boat was Infotrack which comfortably beat the Reichel Pughs. It seems the Indian's speed advantage won't be a factor anymore with her gone OS so Oats only has to beat 2 other 100's if Scally goes as well?

But isn't light air sailing part of the race?  Comanche is a one trick pony and this year it all fell her way.  Even if WOXI went the same way as the Indian, the result would have been the same maybe by not so much but still Comanche was heaps faster in that wind angle and that weight of breeze. 

I think Comanche will struggle in Europe with lots of light winds and other boats better configured for them, Black Jack will do well though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, trt131 said:

But isn't light air sailing part of the race?  Comanche is a one trick pony and this year it all fell her way.  Even if WOXI went the same way as the Indian, the result would have been the same maybe by not so much but still Comanche was heaps faster in that wind angle and that weight of breeze. 

I think Comanche will struggle in Europe with lots of light winds and other boats better configured for them, Black Jack will do well though.

Yes light air is part of this race...... but to call it a one trick pony is being a complete WO fan boy.... In fact I would say WO is more a one trick pony due to it performing better than the others ONLY in conditions under 5 knots.....Comanche would smash Wo in most of the big offshore races around the world... Fastnet, Middle Sea (unusually light this year) Carribean 600, Bermuda, Transpac..... 

Flame suit on

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Yes light air is part of this race...... but to call it a one trick pony is being a complete WO fan boy.... In fact I would say WO is more a one trick pony due to it performing better than the others ONLY in conditions under 5 knots.....Comanche would smash Wo in most of the big offshore races around the world... Fastnet, Middle Sea (unusually light this year) Carribean 600, Bermuda, Transpac..... 

Flame suit on

+1 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, trt131 said:

But isn't light air sailing part of the race?  Comanche is a one trick pony and this year it all fell her way.  Even if WOXI went the same way as the Indian, the result would have been the same maybe by not so much but still Comanche was heaps faster in that wind angle and that weight of breeze. 

I think Comanche will struggle in Europe with lots of light winds and other boats better configured for them, Black Jack will do well though.

I disagree. Was only the Derwent River that claimed Comanche. In a normal race as PIL66 says Comanche would be that far ahead of Oats that she would be able to get through the lighter patches and retain her lead. She has the ability to be going 5 knots faster than Oats for extended periods enabling her to build a lead if we average out the wind conditions over a whole race. As for Europe we don't know the calendar yet but we'll wait and see? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, trt131 said:

But isn't light air sailing part of the race?  Comanche is a one trick pony and this year it all fell her way.  Even if WOXI went the same way as the Indian, the result would have been the same maybe by not so much but still Comanche was heaps faster in that wind angle and that weight of breeze. 

I think Comanche will struggle in Europe with lots of light winds and other boats better configured for them, Black Jack will do well though.

Didn’t Comanche power through that light air in the Derwent to properly smoke WOXI?  Just asking. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As it seems Comanche is heading away from Sydney, just wanted to thank all of the owners and crew from day one of her times in Sydney for welcoming a gazilion excited little kids from Hunters Hill Sailing Club every year she is in town.  From Ken Read and Stan Honey showing us over the boat on that amazing first visit (yes, we dads were a little star struck), to Tim Hackett talking us through the logistics required to campaign a vessel of this scale, to the grinders and crew who answered every question, ground the winches, spun the wheel and then , on the day she was sold, filled our arms with Comanche gear .... a spirit that was carried on by the Cooney Family and their sailing team lead by John Hildebrand .... such generosity in the hectic build up to each Boxing Day, where they would call us to make sure we were bringing a camp over on their rest days!!!  Just amazing - you've all filled the dreams and fired the imagination of boys and girls alike - and not a few parents as well - and taught us all about challenging yourselves and working as a team ...

And to that big, beautiful Indian .... we all loved every "Whooooshhhhhhkkkkaa" moment as you bore away, set your sails and took off ... just incredible!

Sail well and we look forward to the next adventures for all concerned!

Chris Stannage, President Hunters Hill Sailing Club

IMG_7620.jpeg

IMG_7624.jpeg

IMG_7606.jpeg

  • Like 13
Link to post
Share on other sites

I should add that in the middle pic taken in December 2015 there is a bunch of young sailors ... three of the girls this summer were the top U/19 Australian radial sailor at nationals, the three time Bic Techno champion (and 3 x youth worlds rep for oz) and the new Australian Girls Opti champion ... plus a Nacra 15 skipper and crew, the NSW Youth Champion Techno 293 and a member of this years Aus Opti Development team ... its adventures like Comanche that fill the sails of these kids, for sure!!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Stanno said:

I should add that in the middle pic taken in December 2015 there is a bunch of young sailors ... three of the girls this summer were the top U/19 Australian radial sailor at nationals, the three time Bic Techno champion (and 3 x youth worlds rep for oz) and the new Australian Girls Opti champion ... plus a Nacra 15 skipper and crew, the NSW Youth Champion Techno 293 and a member of this years Aus Opti Development team ... its adventures like Comanche that fill the sails of these kids, for sure!!

How good is that.... Jim will read this as he has been following this thread
  Jim and Samantha are very generous with their time and toys and the whole family just loves sailing....
Yep, This beast will be missed but the timing seems right after the last Hobart win... 
I would like to contact you regarding the success of Hunters Hill SC. Most clubs are struggling on the youth side but clearly you guys are doing something right.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites