Israel - Our BFF and all that - says "We are NOT a part of this"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/06/us-allies-trump-suleimani-killing-reaction-response

Both Israel and Nato stressed they were not involved in the airstrike on Thursday. The US secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, has already expressed disappointment in the lukewarm reaction of Washington’s European allies. But the response of Israel’s prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, was particularly striking, as he has been one of Trump’s staunchest supporters on the world stage.

Well I guess we'll just have to move ALL our embassies to Jerusalem, not just one of them. Yeah, that will work.....  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Gosh!.... Imagine that!? Bibi throwing Trump under the bus? Who could possibly have conceived that idea?.....:rolleyes:

30 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/06/us-allies-trump-suleimani-killing-reaction-response

Both Israel and Nato stressed they were not involved in the airstrike on Thursday. The US secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, has already expressed disappointment in the lukewarm reaction of Washington’s European allies. But the response of Israel’s prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, was particularly striking, as he has been one of Trump’s staunchest supporters on the world stage.

Well I guess we'll just have to move ALL our embassies to Jerusalem, not just one of them. Yeah, that will work.....  :rolleyes:

But the response of Israel’s prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, was particularly striking, as he has been one of Trump’s staunchest supporters on the world stage.

He told a meeting of his security cabinet on Monday: “The assassination of Suleimani isn’t an Israeli event but an American event. We were not involved and should not be dragged into it.”

Don't attack us, attack them!

Bibi beat Trump to the throwing under the bus thing.

57 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

Mossad are probably falling all over themselves at the myriad of opportunities in subterfuge to drive a wedge between the US and the arabic and persian neighbours. 

I'm guessing Bibi loves and trusts in his intelligence apparatus unlike a certain well known idiot.

Mossad probably dislikes being implicated in this action , it's likely an unwelcome distraction and an invitation for all their haters to take out acts of revenge upon them, no they will let Donnie own this stupid knee jerk all on his lonesome.

I think Isreal should just come right out and tell the world they were deeply involved. Then Iran would be completely justified in carrying out the decades long threats chanted at Friday prayers to wipe Isreal from the face of the earth at their first opportunity!

Praise be upon Allah! Death to America!

1 hour ago, shaggybaxter said:

Mossad are probably falling all over themselves at the myriad of opportunities in subterfuge to drive a wedge between the US and the arabic and persian neighbours. 

How would that benefit them?

Israel has a lot of trade with those countries, officially and unofficially, from salted nuts to building materials. And they're building their WTO compliance. Or are you suggesting that Israel is secretly driving this wedge so that nobody will ever know?

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

How would that benefit them?

Israel has a lot of trade with those countries, officially and unofficially, from salted nuts to building materials. And they're building their WTO compliance. Or are you suggesting that Israel is secretly driving this wedge so that nobody will ever know?

HI Mike,

I'm suggesting that Mossad are no strangers to seeding dissent and letting others take the fall for it. But I note that is only when the agenda would benefit Israel.

The problem is with the MIddle East is those agendas can be bewilderingly complex, so I am never sure of the players that we see and hear about are the only players involved.

I don't know if anyone was goading Trump toward this decision, but I sure as shit believe that multiple players will use the outrage and angst in the Middle East and potential reprisals  to covertly further their own agendas, absolutely.

If there is a chance for Iran or the US to take the fall for an 'íncident' that furthers their agenda,, they'll be in there guaranteed, as will a dozen other nations with an axe to grind with either of the two camps. 

To me, that's the real danger behind Trumps instant gratification decision making. He's still thinks he's playing checkers when everyone else is playing chess.  

• Like 1

To me, that's the real danger behind Trumps instant gratification decision making. He's still thinks he's playing checkers when everyone else is playing chess.  

And they're 5 moves ahead in that game of chess viz a vizTrump & co

HI Mike,

I'm suggesting that Mossad are no strangers to seeding dissent and letting others take the fall for it. But I note that is only when the agenda would benefit Israel.

The problem is with the MIddle East is those agendas can be bewilderingly complex, so I am never sure of the players that we see and hear about are the only players involved.

I don't know if anyone was goading Trump toward this decision, but I sure as shit believe that multiple players will use the outrage and angst in the Middle East and potential reprisals  to covertly further their own agendas, absolutely.

If there is a chance for Iran or the US to take the fall for an 'íncident' that furthers their agenda,, they'll be in there guaranteed, as will a dozen other nations with an axe to grind with either of the two camps. 

Pompeo was apparently pushing for the hit, his religious lunacy taking over. I must say, he has the television presence and presentation of a squash.

9 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Pompeo was apparently pushing for the hit, his religious lunacy taking over. I must say, he has the television presence and presentation of a squash. 

I've seen news that Sen. Graham has been spending time with Trump lately and he's always been very hawkish against Iran. In the past he's kept on pretty solid legal ground but he's been getting very antsy the last two years or so.

- DSK

2 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

HI Mike,

Israel has obviously attacked both Iran and Iraq when they had to end specific technologies, even killing the only Iranian nuclear scientist who knew how to manipulate the mass defect to make weapons-grade fuel.

But killing a general is a meaningless hit. It's an assassination, a symbol. There is nothing that general could have done that a hundred other dudes can't also do. That's not usually Israel's M.O.. Assassinating a symbolic figure is more accurately the M.O. of a terrorist, in my opinion.

22 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Israel has obviously attacked both Iran and Iraq when they had to end specific technologies, even killing the only Iranian nuclear scientist who knew how to manipulate the mass defect to make weapons-grade fuel.

But killing a general is a meaningless hit. It's an assassination, a symbol. There is nothing that general could have done that a hundred other dudes can't also do. That's not usually Israel's M.O.. Assassinating a symbolic figure is more accurately the M.O. of a terrorist, in my opinion.

Yep, I don't disagree. It is more the ensuing unrest in the ME that is the environment Mossad would view with interest. Iran being bombed back to the Stone Age would server Israeli purposes quite nicely. This will be the one of the quandaries moving forward for the US, who is behind any reprisals?

If I was US intelligence, I'd be working overtime in verifying that any Iranian retaliation is in fact actually Iranian.  Wouldn't surprise me to see a few try and pull something off and then point the finger at Iran. Trump, Pompeo and Mulvaney won't need to ask twice.  

7 minutes ago, Battlecheese said:

I'm not sure why they'd suddenly start doing that.

The State Dep could write a book on their knowledge of subterfuge ala Middle East, and are active in monitoring and keeping tabs on if x is actually y.   

Which would of course then require POTUS listening to the State Dept....maybe scratch that idea.

30 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

The State Dep could write a book on their knowledge of subterfuge ala Middle East, and are active in monitoring and keeping tabs on if x is actually y.   

Which would of course then require POTUS listening to the State Dept....maybe scratch that idea.

IMPOTUS listens to nothing except the voices screeching in his head.

• Like 1

Al Jarida, a Kuwaiti newspaper which in recent years had broken exclusive stories from Israel, says Israel was 'on the verge' of assassinating Soleimani, but the U.S. warned Tehran and thwarted the operation

The report says Israel was "on the verge" of assassinating Soleimani three years ago, near Damascus, but the United States warned the Iranian leadership of the plan, revealing that Israel was closely tracking the Iranian general.

The incident, the report said, "sparked a sharp disagreement between the Israeli and American security and intelligence apparatuses regarding the issue."

https://www.haaretz.com/amp/israel-news/u-s-gives-israel-green-light-to-assassinate-iran-s-general-soleimani-1.5630156

The Israelis were going to take this garbage then Obama told the nutjobs in Tehran about it and it was called off.

30 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

Show us the al Jarida report/article, Haaretz.

If you don't  read or write in Arabic you wouldn't understand it if they showed it to you.

10 hours ago, albanyguy said:

And they're 5 moves ahead in that game of chess viz a vizTrump & co

Trump isn't capable of playing a good game of checkers. He prefers TicTacToe but gets pissed off when he loses.

Bibi isn't facing another election soon is he? 

11 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Bombeo was apparently pushing for the hit, his religious lunacy taking over. I must say, he has the television presence and presentation of a squash.

FIFY

10 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Yep, I don't disagree. It is more the ensuing unrest in the ME that is the environment Mossad would view with interest. Iran being bombed back to the Stone Age would server Israeli purposes quite nicely. This will be the one of the quandaries moving forward for the US, who is behind any reprisals?

If I was US intelligence, I'd be working overtime in verifying that any Iranian retaliation is in fact actually Iranian.  Wouldn't surprise me to see a few try and pull something off and then point the finger at Iran. Trump, Pompeo and Mulvaney won't need to ask twice.  

I think that would not serve Israel. Maybe ten years ago, but now?

There are about 100,000 Jews and Sufis in Iran who Israel has vowed to accept. Iran is already a growing trade partner with Israel, potentially Israel's second biggest trade partner after Egypt if the two countries could normalize. And lately, Iran's Guardian Council has apparently had their cult of religious extremists tamp it down to stop screwing up their development. Iran observing the WTO by 2025 is a possibility.

10 hours ago, Battlecheese said:

I'm not sure why they'd suddenly start doing that.

Well because there are places that declare other places illegitimate.  

They can't stand up to the big guy, so let's try subterfuge.

You may call it terrorism, others just call it war.

Which side are you on?  Will it matter in the end?

17 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

As a vet and having also worked for the military as a civilian I used to have a lot of respect for the American military.  Note my use of the past tense.  The excerpts below are taken from the linked Guardian article.  The first one is Chairman of the Joint Chiefs lying through his teeth to cover the Trump administration.  As if anybody with half a brain would thing a letter such as was sent would go out unsigned and without approval.  What an ass.

The second quote shows Milly's lie.  What a spineless mother fucker.

It is a sad time for America when high ranking members of the military, people that are generally intelligent and well versed in many matters and swear an oath to the Constitution to protect and defend the United States, against all enemies foreign and domestic, are willing to sell out.  It disgusts me, it's absolutely appalling behavior.

"“That letter is a draft, it was a mistake, it was unsigned, it should not have been released,” Milley said, adding that it was “poorly worded, implies withdrawal, that is not what’s happening”."

"The US letter to the Iraqi military was signed by the US commanding general in Iraq, Brig Gen William Seely, and said that US forces “will be repositioning over the coming days and weeks to prepare for onward movement”."

1 minute ago, Ed Lada said:

As a vet and having also worked for the military as a civilian I used to have a lot of respect for the American military.  Note my use of the past tense.  The excerpts below are taken from the linked Guardian article.  The first one is Chairman of the Joint Chiefs lying through his teeth to cover the Trump administration.  As if anybody with half a brain would thing a letter such as was sent would go out unsigned and without approval.  What an ass.

The second quote shows Milly's lie.  What a spineless mother fucker.

It is a sad time for America when high ranking members of the military, people that are generally intelligent and well versed in many matters and swear an oath to the Constitution to protect and defend the United States, against all enemies foreign and domestic, are willing to sell out.  It disgusts me, it's absolutely appalling behavior.

"“That letter is a draft, it was a mistake, it was unsigned, it should not have been released,” Milley said, adding that it was “poorly worded, implies withdrawal, that is not what’s happening”."

"The US letter to the Iraqi military was signed by the US commanding general in Iraq, Brig Gen William Seely, and said that US forces “will be repositioning over the coming days and weeks to prepare for onward movement”."

There are many good people who fight for not only our way of life, but life in places we do not understand.

I hope the military stands as deterrence, not as a destructive force.

12 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I've seen news that Sen. Graham has been spending time with Trump lately and he's always been very hawkish against Iran. In the past he's kept on pretty solid legal ground but he's been getting very antsy the last two years or so.

- DSK

If, God forbid, Trump is reelected I see a future cabinet position for Graham.  He has been kissing Trumps ass more and more lately and I am sure there is some promise involved.  Some kind of quid quo pro as it were.

4 minutes ago, hasher said:

There are many good people who fight for not only our way of life, but life in places we do not understand.

I hope the military stands as deterrence, not as a destructive force.

I'm not sure what that means but OK.

2 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

I'm not sure what that means but OK.

It's all good.  I guess I meant to say that little thing Timmy Tim said.  May God bless you, everyone.

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

I think that would not serve Israel. Maybe ten years ago, but now?

There are about 100,000 Jews and Sufis in Iran who Israel has vowed to accept. Iran is already a growing trade partner with Israel, potentially Israel's second biggest trade partner after Egypt if the two countries could normalize. And lately, Iran's Guardian Council has apparently had their cult of religious extremists tamp it down to stop screwing up their development. Iran observing the WTO by 2025 is a possibility.

"Israel revealed that its forces have carried out more than 200 airstrikes against Iranian targets in Syria and fired over 800 missiles and mortar shells over the past year and a half, causing an interruption of Iran's arms smuggling and the evacuation of several Iranian bases in Syria."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran–Israel_conflict_during_the_Syrian_Civil_War

Israel looks to very concerned about the transfer of Iranian weapons through Syria and keeps hitting them hard. 

1 minute ago, hasher said:

It's all good.  I guess I meant to say that little thing Timmy Tim said.  May God bless you, everyone.

I firmly believe that anybody can believe in whatever deity they choose, but in my opinion, it hasn't helped the world much since forever (with of course some exceptions here and there, but I am talking overall).  So my choice is not to believe.  

But we can still be friends.  

1 minute ago, Ed Lada said:

I firmly believe that anybody can believe in whatever deity they choose, but in my opinion, it hasn't helped the world much since forever (with of course some exceptions here and there, but I am talking overall).  So my choice is not to believe.  

But we can still be friends.  

I'm not trying to convert anyone.

My class on Sunday morning is with highly intelligent women.  I am the token male.  We are trying to discover God.  Meanwhile, we will try to expend our best efforts to help the least of the least.

12 minutes ago, hasher said:

My class on Sunday morning is with highly intelligent women.  I am the token male.  We are trying to discover God.  Meanwhile, we will try to expend our best efforts to help the least of the least.

I have always enjoyed and often seek out opportunities to be the token male in a group of women.  Especially intelligent ones.

Helping the less fortunate is always a good thing under any banner.  I am glad you do that. 

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Keith said:

"Israel revealed that its forces have carried out more than 200 airstrikes against Iranian targets in Syria and fired over 800 missiles and mortar shells over the past year and a half, causing an interruption of Iran's arms smuggling and the evacuation of several Iranian bases in Syria."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran–Israel_conflict_during_the_Syrian_Civil_War

Israel looks to very concerned about the transfer of Iranian weapons through Syria and keeps hitting them hard. 

Sure, they have and will fight back arms that threaten them or even compete with them. Even the Finns do that. But that not the same thing as benefiting from Iran being "bombed back to the stone age."

7 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

Show us the al Jarida report/article, Haaretz.

None of this "the report says" bullshit.

How about "The word is..."?

2 hours ago, hasher said:

I love being in groups like that - but I draw the line at religion.

The best ones are discussion groups when the topic is sex related.

7 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I love being in groups like that - but I draw the line at religion.

The best ones are discussion groups when the topic is sex related.

Sex is overestimated.

Love is underestimated.

Just saying...

The girl loves sex.  I am trying to keep up.  Life is wonderful.

1 minute ago, hasher said:

The girl loves sex.  I am trying to keep up.  Life is wonderful.

I hear there's this little blue pill...

Just trying to be helpful.  :)

Just now, Ed Lada said:

I hear there's this little blue pill...

Just trying to be helpful.  :)

She's never complained.  God bless her.

• Like 1