Checking depth sounder out of the water

Standard 2" dia sounder display  stopped working> Pulled boat for bottom job and other repairs. Found faulty 12v wiring  to sounder and fixed.

The transducer is epoxied into hull. Before re- launching is there a way to check it out? Sounder displays two ( -- --) on land.

I've seen several warnings on the InterWebs about  running transducers out of the water:

"Don't Run It Dry
Multi-element chirp transducers generate substantial heat, and so they need to be immersed in water while operating to keep cool. This is a concern mainly for trailer boaters who might leave the sonar on after putting the boat on the trailer. So turn off the sonar before pulling the boat out of the water."

+1

Or as one source said "for the lat 50 years I've read in the news the world would end in 12 years".

On a personal note, I like the clicking sound idea. Just not for too long (4 years or less).

Wish I had known about listening for the clicks. In 2012 I tested mine in a pool (ST40 head unit and transducer) by hooking them to a 12 powersupply next to a swimming pool. I had to remove the head unit from my boat and re-hook everything poolside. Placed the transducer in the pool. It worked and displayed the pool's depth (5 feet),  but after 5 seconds, the display would read odd depths in multiples of 5. I later figured the transducer was reading the echos. Not an issue. Has worked perfectly on the boat for the past 7 years.

Snubs

Edited by snubber
spelling
On 1/11/2020 at 7:05 PM, John D said:

Standard 2" dia sounder display  stopped working> Pulled boat for bottom job and other repairs. Found faulty 12v wiring  to sounder and fixed.

The transducer is epoxied into hull. Before re- launching is there a way to check it out? Sounder displays two ( -- --) on land.

There is a specific tool for testing, a pielio something or other.  Our friend had one and loaned to me had the patch cords for various brands, ask a local marine electronics service company they may be able to test for you.

On 1/19/2020 at 5:09 AM, snubber said:

Wish I had known about listening for the clicks. In 2012 I tested mine in a pool (ST40 head unit and transducer) by hooking them to a 12 powersupply next to a swimming pool. I had to remove the head unit from my boat and re-hook everything poolside. Placed the transducer in the pool. It worked and displayed the pool's depth (5 feet),  but after 5 seconds, the display would read odd depths in multiples of 5. I later figured the transducer was reading the echos. Not an issue. Has worked perfectly on the boat for the past 7 years.

Snubs

And I'll bet everyone in the neighbourhood who heard about this - your children included - thought you a complete fruitcake hovering around the pool with wires and devices.  But a nice solution.

• Like 1