Jump to content

The Senate Impeachment Trial of DJT


Recommended Posts

I said, “Mike, that doesn’t take courage. What takes courage is to do nothing. That takes courage,” and then we’re stuck with a president who lost the election by a lot, and we have to live with that for four more years. We’re just not going to let that happen. Many of you have traveled from all across the nation to be here, and I want to thank you for the extraordinary love. That’s what it is. There’s never been a movement like this ever, ever for the extraordinary love for this amazing country and this amazing movement. Thank you.

Crowd: (09:44)
We love Trump! We love Trump! We love Trump!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh well, the USA once again chooses to further diminish it's standing in the eyes of the rest of the world.  So be it.

I don't know where to start.  People are dying each day because Trump fucked up.  He refused to face the reality of Covid.  Worst President ever, full stop.  I know I will never spend a nickel at any

Indeed it won't. There are a lot of voices (many people are saying) calling for criminal prosecution after the Republican Senate bows down to Mad King Donald. https://www.thedailybeast.com/forg

Posted Images

1 minute ago, roundthebuoys said:

You obviously didn't watch the case.  Of course it was planned, Trump sent out invitations weeks before, his campaign paid for the stage and amps and microphones.  He had warm up acts saying Trial by Combat.  It was all planned.  The incitement wasn't one word or even one speech.  It was a planned insurrection that Trump incited from the beginning.  

Did Trump participate in organizing the protest and rally?  Of course he did.

The "Trial by Combat" quote was interesting, but if you watch Rudy's speech, it isn't tied to anything.  He never suggests or advocates that anyone storm the capitol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shortforbob said:

I said, “Mike, that doesn’t take courage. What takes courage is to do nothing. That takes courage,” and then we’re stuck with a president who lost the election by a lot, and we have to live with that for four more years. We’re just not going to let that happen. Many of you have traveled from all across the nation to be here, and I want to thank you for the extraordinary love. That’s what it is. There’s never been a movement like this ever, ever for the extraordinary love for this amazing country and this amazing movement. Thank you.

Crowd: (09:44)
We love Trump! We love Trump! We love Trump!

In order for there to be incitement, Trump has to actually advocate the lawless activity.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

 Let’s go back eight week.” We want to go back, and we want to get this right because we’re going to have somebody in there that should not be in there and our country will be destroyed, and we’re not going to stand for that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The weak Republicans, they’re pathetic Republicans and that’s what happens. If this happened to the Democrats, there’d be hell all over the country going on. There’d be hell all over the country. But just remember this. You’re stronger, you’re smarter. You’ve got more going than anybody, and they try and demean everybody having to do with us, and you’re the real people. You’re the people that built this nation. You’re not the people that tore down our nation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jzk said:

Did Trump participate in organizing the protest and rally?  Of course he did.

The "Trial by Combat" quote was interesting, but if you watch Rudy's speech, it isn't tied to anything.  He never suggests or advocates that anyone storm the capitol.

I know you're going by exact words and not the reactions and actions.  But trial by combat isn't ambiguous.  It's just an out for you to defend the loser you backed.  You don't care about anything that happened, you're just pissed he lost.  Were you there on the 6th?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh well, the USA once again chooses to further diminish it's standing in the eyes of the rest of the world.  So be it.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, roundthebuoys said:

I know you're going by exact words and not the reactions and actions.  But trial by combat isn't ambiguous.  It's just an out for you to defend the loser you backed.  You don't care about anything that happened, you're just pissed he lost.  Were you there on the 6th?

When I heard the trial by combat statement, I went and looked at the video.  There was no message to attack the capitol or anything.  It was just a comment not really connected to anything.  Go look at it.  

For there to be incitement, you have to not only advocate the lawless action, but you have to urge people to do it right now.  So even if Rudy said "we should take the capitol by force someday" that wouldn't be enough.  It would be shitty, but it wouldn't be incitement.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jzk said:

In order for there to be incitement, Trump has to actually advocate the lawless activity.  

Or provoke it.  Would that insurrection have happened if he didn't send out invitations for the exact date and time of the certification, have warm up acts saying trial by combat, saying exactly where to go, that he would be there with him and which street to take?  Would this have happened but for Trump?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, roundthebuoys said:

Or provoke it.  Would that insurrection have happened if he didn't send out invitations for the exact date and time of the certification, have warm up acts saying trial by combat, saying exactly where to go, that he would be there with him and which street to take?  Would this have happened but for Trump?

But for causation is not enough.  If Trump had never planned a rally on Jan 6, it is probably true that there wouldn't have been a riot.  But that is not incitement.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jzk said:

But for causation is not enough.  If Trump had never planned a rally on Jan 6, it is probably true that there wouldn't have been a riot.  But that is not incitement.  

So there was no "imminent lawless action".  1 hour isn't imminent?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, roundthebuoys said:

So there was no "imminent lawless action".  1 hour isn't imminent?

There needs to be:

1. Advocacy of lawless action

2.  Directed to inciting imminent lawless action

3.  likely to incite such action.

You don't even have #1 here.  Trump would have to say "We should take the capitol by force.  Take it now.  Attack!  Do it now!" or such.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jzk said:

But for causation is not enough.  If Trump had never planned a rally on Jan 6, it is probably true that there wouldn't have been a riot.  But that is not incitement.  

Motive is not an element of the offense.  But motive is relevant.  The conduct of little don before, during and after the offense sheds light on his motive.  Motive in turn helps to know his intent.  Clearly, little don knowingly, willfully and negligently if not willfully committed this most egregious attack upon our government.  To argue anything else is absurd.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jzk said:

There needs to be:

1. Advocacy of lawless action

2.  Directed to inciting imminent lawless action

3.  likely to incite such action.

You don't even have #1 here.  Trump would have to say "We should take the capitol by force.  Take it now.  Attack!  Do it now!" or such.

 

"We are going to stop the steal" "Fight like hell" Mike Pence didn't have the courage to do what should have been done to protect our Country"

You have to have selective hearing to not hear what he said.  Again, what do you think he wanted them to do?  Write strongly worded letters?  And he would have to be the most inept President in history if he didn't listen to DOJ, police, etc. to know that the mob wasn't planning something and he didn't cancel the rally.  If he didn't want it to happen he could have ended it on January 5th.  He knew, and if he didn't that's on him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, roundthebuoys said:

"We are going to stop the steal" "Fight like hell" Mike Pence didn't have the courage to do what should have been done to protect our Country"

You have to have selective hearing to not hear what he said.  Again, what do you think he wanted them to do?  Write strongly worded letters?  And he would have to be the most inept President in history if he didn't listen to DOJ, police, etc. to know that the mob wasn't planning something and he didn't cancel the rally.  If he didn't want it to happen he could have ended it on January 5th.  He knew, and if he didn't that's on him.

And dont forget that at the very moment when people were breaking heads and windows, he said to a Senator who'd begged him to call them off. 

"Well, Kevin, I guess these people are more upset about the election than you are,"

Link to post
Share on other sites

And lest we forget

“On January 15, the House Impeachment Managers were gathered to deliver the Article of Impeachment.  They were told that because the Senate was closed the Article could not be received.  It is so pathetic that Senator McConnell kept the Senate shut down so that the Senate could not receive the Article of Impeachment and has used that as his excuse for not voting to convict Donald Trump.

Nan Pelosi

Today.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

And lest we forget

“On January 15, the House Impeachment Managers were gathered to deliver the Article of Impeachment.  They were told that because the Senate was closed the Article could not be received.  It is so pathetic that Senator McConnell kept the Senate shut down so that the Senate could not receive the Article of Impeachment and has used that as his excuse for not voting to convict Donald Trump.

Nan Pelosi

Today.

Absolutely correct. And another strike against Mitch McSlimebag.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jzk said:

Harris' speech is offensive, but not able to be regulated.  Just like Trump's.  

How many police officers were hospitalized the day of each speech, by the crowd that was listening?

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites

TLDR;

Democrats make huge shit sandwich dripping with runny diarrhea on moldy bread and dare Republicans to eat it in public.

Most of them do choke it down and ask for more.

That was the real goal, no one thought there was ANY chance of enough Republicans having even one ball to get a conviction.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jzk said:

But for causation is not enough.  If Trump had never planned a rally on Jan 6, it is probably true that there wouldn't have been a riot.  But that is not incitement.  

If the Japanese (or Germans :) ) had never bombed Pearl Harbour it is probably true that the US wouldn't have gone to war with them.

But bombing Pearl Harbour was not an act of war.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we now going to see a mob threatening the Capitol every time congress is in session?

On any day when a vote on anything is ongoing?

I really can't see how any court is going to convict any of those that entered  the Capitol on that day (apart from those causing the damage and direct violence.)

You've just sanctioned mob rule. at least in the minds of the mob.

At the very least you are now going to have heavily armed personnel on the steps of the Capitol when is session.

Congratulations.

You've now brought the trappings of countries that live daily in fear of internal terrorism to the USA.

It was a long time coming, you avoided it for decades.

But, thanks to the actions of your own elected president, those days are probably gone forever.

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

If the Japanese (or Germans :) ) had never bombed Pearl Harbour it is probably true that the US wouldn't have gone to war with them.

But bombing Pearl Harbour was not an act of war.

The Japanese were just expressing their opinion? Someone told them to fight like hell or they wouldn’t have a country anymore?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

If the Japanese (or Germans :) ) had never bombed Pearl Harbour it is probably true that the US wouldn't have gone to war with them.

But bombing Pearl Harbour was not an act of war.

Merely exercising their right to free speech.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jzk said:

"By the strict criminal standard, the President's speech probably was not incitement."

Thanks.

By strict criminal standard, OJ didn't commit murder.  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mark K said:

By strict criminal standard, OJ probably didn't commit murder.  

FTFY

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Are we now going to see a mob threatening the Capitol every time congress is in session?

On any day when a vote on anything is ongoing?

I really can't see how any court is going to convict any of those that entered  the Capitol on that day (apart from those causing the damage and direct violence.)

You've just sanctioned mob rule. at least in the minds of the mob.

At the very least you are now going to have heavily armed personnel on the steps of the Capitol when is session.

Congratulations.

You've now brought the trappings of countries that live daily in fear of internal terrorism to the USA.

It was a long time coming, you avoided it for decades.

But, thanks to the actions of your own elected president, those days are probably gone forever.

 

 

But on the bright side, we won’t be screwing things up internationally.  Just give it time.  China just got the green light! :)  as the US goes violently into that good night of a Christian fascist white nation....  Mitch has it all arranged.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Disappointing result but not surprising.  I'm actually surprised there were 7 Republicans voting to convict.  The very worst of America was embodied by Trump and now they will be even more emboldened.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jzk said:

"By the strict criminal standard, the President's speech probably was not incitement."

Thanks.

And when a nation rules by "strict criminal standards" you lose total sight of the concept of modern justice.

Justice

Justice is a concept of moral rightness based ethics, rationality, law, natural law, religion, equity and fairness, as well as the administration of the law, taking into account the inalienable and inborn rights of all human beings and citizens, the right of all people and individuals to equal protection before the law of their civil rights, without discrimination on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, ethnicity, religion, disability, age, wealth, or other characteristics, and is further regarded as being inclusive of social justice.

According to most contemporary theories of justice, justice is overwhelmingly important: John Rawls claims that "Justice is the first virtue of social institutions, as truth is of systems of thought."

Justice can be thought of as distinct from benevolence, charity, prudence, mercy, generosity, or compassion, although these dimensions are regularly understood to also be interlinked.

Justice is the concept of cardinal virtues, of which it is one.

Justice has traditionally been associated with concepts of fate, reincarnation or Divine Providence, i.e. with a life in accordance with the cosmic plan.

The association of justice with fairness has thus been historically and culturally rare and is perhaps chiefly a modern innovation [in western societies].

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Absolutely correct. And another strike against Mitch McSlimebag.

That will only endear him to his fucking deplorable supporters

Link to post
Share on other sites

Furthermore, you have now abrogated any formerly self imposed right to condemn or criticize any other world leader or their government for corruption or attempted usurpation of a democratically elected president.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, jzk said:

"By the strict criminal standard, the President's speech probably was not incitement."

Thanks.

Too bad this wasn't a criminal trial. 

Must be weird to velcro yourself to Ted Cruz like you do. 

Were you in DC on Jan 6th?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Furthermore, you have now abrogated any formerly self imposed right to condemn or criticize any other world leader or their government for corruption or attempted usurpation of a democratically elected president.

 

this

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Absolutely correct. And another strike against Mitch McSlimebag.

It is hard to straddle the grand canyon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

If I ever get tried for a major crime I really hope the jury is made up of people who helped me do it.

It might be rather easy to avoid committing major crimes, unless you're little don and just get use to being a fuck up.  Little don loves minions who fall into line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Furthermore, you have now abrogated any formerly self imposed right to condemn or criticize any other world leader or their government for corruption or attempted usurpation of a democratically elected president.

 

We probably gave that up a while ago.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Mark K said:

Merely exercising their right to free speech.  

In this case, Trump’s superior free speech, followed closely by the Republican Senators.  The rest of us are beneath them.  I wonder how bribes will be assessed?  Taking a knee to our superiors is verboten, so, a deep bow?  Taking a mask off?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bridhb said:

We probably gave that up a while ago.

The voters here rejected the hijacking of the government.  The Senate overwhelming rejected the gangster who once resided in the white house.  The Grand Old Party needs to go to the dust bins of history.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hasher said:

The voters here rejected the hijacking of the government.  The Senate overwhelming rejected the gangster who once resided in the white house.  The Grand Old Party needs to go to the dust bins of history.

Given the installing of the best judges by the Republicans, it’ll be our dust in the bins....

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Amati said:

Given the installing of the best judges by the Republicans, it’ll be our dust in the bins....

Only fucking lunatics support little don's idiocy.  I may not agree with his judicial picks, but they don't have allegiance to little don.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hasher said:

Only fucking lunatics support little don's idiocy.  I may not agree with his judicial picks, but they don't have allegiance to little don.

I’d love to know how you figure that- it would help to know which courts to avoid.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let us all sit down and say a whole hearted "thank you" to the man who single handedly laid wide open the depravity of the GOP.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Amati said:

I’d love to know how you figure that- it would help to know which courts to avoid.

If you're looking for a cancer doctor you're already into some deep shit.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hasher said:

Let us all sit down and say a whole hearted "thank you" to the man who single handedly laid wide open the depravity of the GOP.

You can't put this all on the GOP.

Americans vote for those people.

If there's ever been a time for some soul searching reflection of what " being American" means, it's now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shortforbob said:

You can't put this all on the GOP.

Americans vote for those people.

If there's ever been a time for some soul searching reflection of what " being American" means, it's now.

First of all, we are the greatest.

Second of all, you should admit it.

Third of all, get fucking serious or fuck off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, hasher said:

Let us all sit down and say a whole hearted "thank you" to the man who single handedly laid wide open the depravity of the GOP.

 

7 minutes ago, hasher said:

If you're looking for a cancer doctor you already into some deep shit.

McConnell!  There is a certain nod due the dark side when I see a professional (sic) dismember a rank amateur (Trump).  Trouble is, Mitche’s merry move is likely to take Biden down too.  The Republican’s parliamentary moves today reduced the president pro tem to a stammering old man.  Does Biden have the moves to counter McConnell’s gamesmanship?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Amati said:

 

McConnell!  There is a certain nod to the dark side when I see a professional (sic) dismember a rank amateur (Trump).  Trouble is, Mitche’s merry move is likely to take Biden down too.  The Republican’s parliamentary moves today reduced the president pro tem to a stammering old man.  Does Biden have the moves to counter McConnell’s gamesmanship?

The Democratic Party refused to talk to a wall.  Moving on, Mitch is in the ditch and trying to stop digging.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Amati said:

 

McConnell!  There is a certain nod due the dark side when I see a professional (sic) dismember a rank amateur (Trump).  Trouble is, Mitche’s merry move is likely to take Biden down too.  The Republican’s parliamentary moves today reduced the president pro tem to a stammering old man.  Does Biden have the moves to counter McConnell’s gamesmanship?

Kamala does

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, roundthebuoys said:

Kamala does

Hope so, esp since the Republicans are about to elevate Kamala to ‘most hated’ and ‘most mentioned’ status.  But!  At least we live in a State where even some Republicans are worth a damn.  But given how much we’ve donated this time (out of state especially) around, we’d better start saving up for the next round.  So much for new sails....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Amati said:

Hope so, esp since the Republicans are about to elevate Kamala to ‘most hated’ status.  

Does a badge come with that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Amati said:

Hope so, esp since the Republicans are about to elevate Kamala to ‘most hated’ status.  

She can handle it, while Joe does the heavy lifting quietly in the background.  He already is and the cult doesn't even know about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, roundthebuoys said:

She can handle it, while Joe does the heavy lifting quietly in the background.  He already is and the cult doesn't even know about it.

The Democratic Party rolls up their sleeves and gets to work.  The dying embers of little don hold little value.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hasher said:

Does a badge come with that?

I think if she’s wearing an American flag pin, that’ll do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hasher said:

The Democratic Party rolls up their sleeves and gets to work.  The dying embers of little don hold little value.

Trouble is, that takes money as well as effort, and as I said above (#4259) , we’re tapped.  At least for a while, and the new Senators from a certain southern state bug us 6 times a day demanding more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Amati said:

Trouble is, that takes money as well as effort, and as I said above (#4259) , we’re tapped.  At least for a while, and the new Senators from a certain southern state bug us 6 times a day demanding more.

Tax reform sparks glee into the hearts of folks who might see it differently in this iteration.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Amati said:

Trouble is, that takes money as well as effort, and as I said above (#4259) , we’re tapped.  At least for a while, and the new Senators from a certain southern state bug us 6 times a day demanding more.

Yeah that must be annoying.  I don't have to worry about that.  Just shows it's a systemic political problem that needs to changed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Only @Remodel got it right. We now have two precedents which show that ex-officials can be impeached after their term has ended. There is no “January exception.”

Trump ‘s motives and his actions have been exposed to the entire world. His invulnerability due to the ossification of morals and naked grasping for power shown by Republicans has been revealed.

Democracy ain’t perfect, but it’s better than any other system out there. Quit whining, Democrats, get on with the hard work of making a living in the midst of a pandemic.

We were never going to sing kumbaya with the GOP. What the fuck are you sad about? 15% of Republicans said that he was guilty, hundreds of their best minds who are no longer facing political death agree: the man is a threat to our national security. Even Mitch said he was guilty. 

Who cares if Mitch doesn’t think the Senate can try a past President? The Senate spoke clearly on that issue.

Face it, the sun comes up tomorrow and the Democrats hold the Senate and the House, and America’s got a decent man in the Oval Office. Things are looking up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, phillysailor said:

Only @Remodel got it right. We now have two precedents which show that ex-officials can be impeached after their term has ended. There is no “January exception.”

Trump ‘s motives and his actions have been exposed to the entire world. His invulnerability due to the ossification of morals and naked grasping for power shown by Republicans has been revealed.

Democracy ain’t perfect, but it’s better than any other system out there. Quit whining, Democrats, get on with the hard work of making a living in the midst of a pandemic.

We were never going to sing kumbaya with the GOP. What the fuck are you sad about? 15% of Republicans said that he was guilty, hundreds of their best minds who are no longer facing political death agree: the man is a threat to our national security. Even Mitch said he was guilty. 

Who cares if Mitch doesn’t think the Senate can try a past President? The Senate spoke clearly on that issue.

Face it, the sun comes up tomorrow and the Democrats hold the Senate and the House, and America’s got a decent man in the Oval Office. Things are looking up.

this will be the glass 1/2 full ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mid said:

this will be the glass 1/2 full ...

Excuse me, the Democratic Party now owns it.  I hope everyone one representing them now takes a steroid shot.  We need it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mid said:

this will be the glass 1/2 full ...

Dude.

We are in the midst of a pandemic, our democracy has narrowly & incompletely survived an assault from within, our economy is in the shitter and a third of our people believe conspiracy theorists more than scientist and judges.

I hardly think we have a half a glass at present. Being whiny bitches does nothing for us, tho.

Fucking hike harder.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, phillysailor said:
9 minutes ago, Mid said:

this will be the glass 1/2 full ...

Dude.

We are in the midst of a pandemic, our democracy has narrowly & incompletely survived an assault from within, our economy is in the shitter and a third of our people believe conspiracy theorists more than scientist and judges.

I hardly think we have a half a glass at present. Being whiny bitches does nothing for us, tho.

Fucking hike harder.

And get me a beer

- DSK

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

“It is a sad commentary on our times that one political party in America is given a free pass to denigrate the rule of law, defame law enforcement, cheer mobs, excuse rioters, and transform justice into a tool of political vengeance, and persecute, blacklist, cancel and suppress all people and viewpoints with whom or which they disagree,” Trump said.

...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, phillysailor said:

Dude.

We are in the midst of a pandemic, our democracy has narrowly & incompletely survived an assault from within, our economy is in the shitter and a third of our people believe conspiracy theorists more than scientist and judges.

I hardly think we have a half a glass at present. Being whiny bitches does nothing for us, tho.

Fucking hike harder. 

I totally agree that whining is not going solve anything, or make any gains in the national situation

The problem is how to win the hearts and minds, when there are two serious handicaps: we are competing against amoral liars who are being funded by the 0.01% that outright own half the country. How do you persuade people to vote for rational policies when they're being told "Yeah vote for us, all your problems are because of those goddam (insert cultural boogeyman dujour)." The chickens have all been hypnotized into voting for Colonel Sanders.

The second problem is a decline in citizenship. People are less educated about their own civics, people are less engaged, people have less faith. As noted above, the plutocrats/oligarchs are using every media available to push the idea that -all- politicians are crooks, that government is the problem, etc etc, and before you can sell the idea of beneficial and progressive policies, you have to get out of this conceptual hole.

Look at how many non-trumpublicans feel that there is something underhanded and sleazy about Hillary. This is totally caused by ~ 30 years of right-wing smear campaign... advertising works!

I'm not saying this to whiny, sorry if it sounds that way. Just recognizing the problem

- DSK

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

was the hearing in a place that required a strict criminal behavior or was it in a place where acceptable behavior was the bar?

Very good point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I totally agree that whining is not going solve anything, or make any gains in the national situation

The problem is how to win the hearts and minds, when there are two serious handicaps: we are competing against amoral liars who are being funded by the 0.01% that outright own half the country. How do you persuade people to vote for rational policies when they're being told "Yeah vote for us, all your problems are because of those goddam (insert cultural boogeyman dujour)." The chickens have all been hypnotized into voting for Colonel Sanders.

The second problem is a decline in citizenship. People are less educated about their own civics, people are less engaged, people have less faith. As noted above, the plutocrats/oligarchs are using every media available to push the idea that -all- politicians are crooks, that government is the problem, etc etc, and before you can sell the idea of beneficial and progressive policies, you have to get out of this conceptual hole.

Look at how many non-trumpublicans feel that there is something underhanded and sleazy about Hillary. This is totally caused by ~ 30 years of right-wing smear campaign... advertising works!

I'm not saying this to whiny, sorry if it sounds that way. Just recognizing the problem

- DSK

and 30 years of declining health, wealth and wellbeing under both R&D might have something to do with it.

30 years of disillusionment. 30 years of having the golden footy whipped away and passed to the guys on the high ground.?

It's not a purely American thing.

I think one could safely say, most of our kids are struggling more than we did. less pie. 

Socialism is too scary. Capitalism failed to bring home the bacon. 

Nationalism seems to have been given a good run in the last 4 years.

It's not over yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Mid said:
Quote

“It is a sad commentary on our times that one political party in America is given a free pass to denigrate the rule of law, defame law enforcement, cheer mobs, excuse rioters, and transform justice into a tool of political vengeance, and persecute, blacklist, cancel and suppress all people and viewpoints with whom or which they disagree,” Trump said.

... 

Can you say "Projection"?

What an asshole.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There was one clear winner in these proceedings - Jamie Raskin. 

Very good read in The New Yorker -

 

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-beauty-of-jamie-raskins-america-on-display-at-trumps-impeachment-trial

The Beauty of Jamie Raskin’s America, on Display at Trump’s Impeachment Trial

Excerpt -

On Thursday, Raskin, arguing gamely for a conviction that everyone knows he cannot win, had to pretend that his audience of senators shared his assumptions about democracy. But, of course, many of them didn’t—many had truckled to Trump precisely in order to maintain position and privilege. Is there anyone who thinks that a 1776 version of Lindsey Graham would have been fighting alongside Sam Adams and Tom Paine? It’s much easier to imagine him as a bewigged and bewildered gent ordering the servants to pack the household baggage for the move back to London with the other Tories. That members of the party that licked Trump’s spittle called themselves “Republicans” and pretended their subservience was somehow an attack on “élites” is a reminder of the power of the idea that they have done their best to wreck.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, roundthebuoys said:

Too bad this wasn't a criminal trial. 

Must be weird to velcro yourself to Ted Cruz like you do. 

Were you in DC on Jan 6th?

Just try to lose the argument like a big boy.

Were you there?  I was sailing in Grenada.

Link to post
Share on other sites