To help with any confusion from the update today.

The Rules:

1. Basically, you can't leave the house for any reason, but if you have to, then you can.

2. Masks are useless, but maybe you have to wear one, it can save you, it is useless, but maybe it is mandatory as well.

3. Stores are closed, except those that are open.

4. You should not go to hospitals unless you have to go there. Same applies to doctors, you should only go there in case of emergency, provided you are not too sick.

5. This virus is deadly but still not too scary, except that sometimes it actually leads to a global disaster.

6. Gloves won't help, but they can still help.

7. There is no shortage of groceries in the supermarket, but there are many things missing when you go there in the evening, but not in the morning. Sometimes.

8, The virus has no effect on children except those it affects.

9, Animals are not affected, but there is still a cat that tested positive in Belgium in February when no one had been tested, plus a few tigers here and there…

10. You will have many symptoms when you are sick, but you can also get sick without symptoms, have symptoms without being sick, or be contagious without having symptoms. Oh, good grief!

11. You can get restaurant food delivered to the house, which may have been prepared by people who didn't wear masks or gloves. But you have to have your groceries decontaminated outside for 3 hours. Pizza too?

12. The virus remains active on different surfaces for two hours, no, four, no, six, no, we didn't say hours, maybe days? But it takes a damp environment. Oh no, not necessarily.

13. The virus stays in the air - well no, or yes, maybe, especially in a closed room, in one hour a sick person can infect ten, so if it falls, all our children were already infected at school before it was closed. But remember, if you stay at the recommended social distance, however in certain circumstances you should maintain a greater distance, which, studies show, the virus can travel further, maybe.

14. We count the number of deaths but we don't know how many people are infected as we have only tested so far those who were "almost dead" to find out if that's what they will die of…

15. We count cancer patients, COPD, stroke, heart disease and catastrophic accidents as Covid deaths if even they didn't die of it, but rather with it.

16. You should maintain a 6', no, 13' distance from people while in public, but you can get change from cashiers, touch things everyone in the store has touched and keep no distance from anyone at home that has been out in public.

17. Home Depot, Costco, Sam's Club, Walmart and other large box stores are exempt, or not.

18. Stay tuned to White House briefings, CDC notices, your state Governor and your local government to find out all the current and consistently conflicting reports and guidelines and how to interpret the rules. If you can.

19. Do not live in fear for it could affect your health, however, be very afraid that the virus could hit you. Or not.

20. Be helpful towards others going through difficulties, but do not touch them, hug them, or breathe anywhere near them. Do not give them any item that has been touched unless it has been decontaminated.

• Like 11
  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi ya'll. Well this is a son of a bitch. I've weathered a lot of shit and discomfort in my life but this is a MF.....and I would classify my case as moderate. I can't imagine those who become critical

Well...............after two pretty shitty days....not as shitty as the first round mind you, but still pretty shitty.....with the exact same symptoms but less intense, today I feel better. Not 100% b

To help with any confusion from the update today. The Rules: 1. Basically, you can't leave the house for any reason, but if you have to, then you can. 2. Masks are useless, but maybe yo

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

I listen to Newsome's daily press conference and he is really on it. Heartening. Its every day at noon PDT on NPR. He defers to experts when needed and is quick and to the point and all he says is "we". There's hope.

I disagree with almost 100% of Newsome's politics but..............giving credit where its due..........he is handling/managing the CA response and communication with the state magnificently. I didn't think he had it in him. I'm impressed.

On April 16, 2020 at 11:55 AM, Rain Man said:

I am retired and grasping at straws to fund future sailing activities.  Like many, this virus has not been kind to my retirement nest egg.  So, I'm looking for that silver lining.... 

I'm all out of likes for today, and was feeling a bit pissy yesterday. :wacko:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Point Break said:

I disagree with almost 100% of Newsome's politics but..............giving credit where its due..........he is handling/managing the CA response and communication with the state magnificently. I didn't think he had it in him. I'm impressed.

I am embarrassed to say I never paid attention to his politics and have no idea what they are. Just working from home I listen to NPR almost all day every weekday and he's part of it. Even the other programs like On Point with experts, government folks, and doctors/nurses are filled with smart dedicated folks which make two things abundantly clear:

1) Our medical system and government agencies are filled with very dedicated, smart and seemingly totally a-political professionals who make my heart soar with hope for our society.

2) Our national politicians and even a few state politicians in concert with the clown in chief collectively look like a third rate clown show in comparison to the folks in #1 above and make the jobs of those mentioned in #1 above far harder than they need to be. Its embarrassing.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, P_Wop said:

To help with any confusion from the update today.

The Rules:

1. Basically, you can't leave the house for any reason, but if you have to, then you can.

2. Masks are useless, but maybe you have to wear one, it can save you, it is useless, but maybe it is mandatory as well.

3. Stores are closed, except those that are open.

4. You should not go to hospitals unless you have to go there. Same applies to doctors, you should only go there in case of emergency, provided you are not too sick.

5. This virus is deadly but still not too scary, except that sometimes it actually leads to a global disaster.

6. Gloves won't help, but they can still help.

7. There is no shortage of groceries in the supermarket, but there are many things missing when you go there in the evening, but not in the morning. Sometimes.

8, The virus has no effect on children except those it affects.

9, Animals are not affected, but there is still a cat that tested positive in Belgium in February when no one had been tested, plus a few tigers here and there…

10. You will have many symptoms when you are sick, but you can also get sick without symptoms, have symptoms without being sick, or be contagious without having symptoms. Oh, good grief!

11. You can get restaurant food delivered to the house, which may have been prepared by people who didn't wear masks or gloves. But you have to have your groceries decontaminated outside for 3 hours. Pizza too?

12. The virus remains active on different surfaces for two hours, no, four, no, six, no, we didn't say hours, maybe days? But it takes a damp environment. Oh no, not necessarily.

13. The virus stays in the air - well no, or yes, maybe, especially in a closed room, in one hour a sick person can infect ten, so if it falls, all our children were already infected at school before it was closed. But remember, if you stay at the recommended social distance, however in certain circumstances you should maintain a greater distance, which, studies show, the virus can travel further, maybe.

14. We count the number of deaths but we don't know how many people are infected as we have only tested so far those who were "almost dead" to find out if that's what they will die of…

15. We count cancer patients, COPD, stroke, heart disease and catastrophic accidents as Covid deaths if even they didn't die of it, but rather with it.

16. You should maintain a 6', no, 13' distance from people while in public, but you can get change from cashiers, touch things everyone in the store has touched and keep no distance from anyone at home that has been out in public.

17. Home Depot, Costco, Sam's Club, Walmart and other large box stores are exempt, or not.

18. Stay tuned to White House briefings, CDC notices, your state Governor and your local government to find out all the current and consistently conflicting reports and guidelines and how to interpret the rules. If you can.

19. Do not live in fear for it could affect your health, however, be very afraid that the virus could hit you. Or not.

20. Be helpful towards others going through difficulties, but do not touch them, hug them, or breathe anywhere near them. Do not give them any item that has been touched unless it has been decontaminated.

Assholes, copying the Kiwi rules like that. Still we might open up a bit next week, so we are getting some new ones.

1. You should not really visit anyone in hospital but we will leave the rules up to each hospital board. We do hope the will all chose the same rules.

2. Schools will be open for those that need to have their child cared for when they go back to work. We will not check if this is the case or you just want a break. As for which schools and how this will operate we will leave it up to the teachers. We do hope they are all doing the same thing.

Bunch if fucking muppets, no matter what country.

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

And there we have a perfect illustration of the depths to which the U.S. has sunk.

BB offering PR advice to the POTUS. :lol::blink:

It would be better to just short-circuit the process and make BB the POTUS.  He would likely do a better job.  Virtually anyone would. Ok, maybe not Pence. 

8 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Assholes, copying the Kiwi rules like that. Still we might open up a bit next week, so we are getting some new ones.

1. You should not really visit anyone in hospital but we will leave the rules up to each hospital board. We do hope the will all chose the same rules.

2. Schools will be open for those that need to have their child cared for when they go back to work. We will not check if this is the case or you just want a break. As for which schools and how this will operate we will leave it up to the teachers. We do hope they are all doing the same thing.

Bunch if fucking muppets, no matter what country.

I just thank our collective lucky stars that the education mob aren't running the health response in Australia, too.  The only consistent thing about their messaging has been that it's consistently inconsistent!

10 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

I just thank our collective lucky stars that the education mob aren't running the health response in Australia, too.  The only consistent thing about their messaging has been that it's consistently inconsistent!

Actually they have just changed again over here. Someone looked up the word 'voluntary' and turns out it doesn't mean 'you can only do something when we tell you'.

They invented our four levels of ineptitude almost 4 weeks ago and still have no idea what the rules are for each level. Muppets the lot of them.

We have saved fuck all lives and bankrupted the country. The only exponential curve going on is the number of failing businesses.

4 minutes ago, Gissie said:

We have saved fuck all lives and bankrupted the country. The only exponential curve going on is the number of failing businesses.

I'm very aware that Enzedder's have a different view to outsiders, but mate, don't be too hard on your government - the rest of the world looks on in awe and admiration.  Businesses can be rebuilt - lives can't.  Kiwis are doing it tough, but will come out the other side as winners I reckon.  Why was all the money fleeing to NZ when the shit started hitting the fan?  Because it's fucking safe!  And that's going to be recognised when business cranks up again.

Give thanks you are there and not in New York!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Recidivist said:

I'm very aware that Enzedder's have a different view to outsiders, but mate, don't be too hard on your government - the rest of the world looks on in awe and admiration.  Businesses can be rebuilt - lives can't.  Kiwis are doing it tough, but will come out the other side as winners I reckon.  Why was all the money fleeing to NZ when the shit started hitting the fan?  Because it's fucking safe!  And that's going to be recognised when business cranks up again.

Give thanks you are there and not in New York!

Not sure really. When we went into lock down they were waving a report about how we would have 14000 deaths. Seems the modelling was dodgy at best, outright bullshit at worst.

So yeah, we have it under control, but the economic fallout is going to be very destructive. I do wonder if part of the problem is the number of those now at the top are professional politicians. School, uni, youth political party, mentored in the party, moved up the ladder, never once having any dealing with the world outside.

.... but at least you have all the answers

...... or not...

..... cos how do we know?  All you ever do is bitch and moan

Gissie, I think you're being a bit hard on our Government.  Remember they next to no time to prepare for something that they had not dealt with before.

The current infected cases are dropping fast so the lockdown is working.

The economic fallout is tough, and we will have a hangover from it for at least a couple of years but I don't see that Jacinda had many other options.

2 minutes ago, Gissie said:

I do wonder if part of the problem is the number of those now at the top are professional politicians. School, uni, youth political party, mentored in the party, moved up the ladder, never once having any dealing with the world outside.

A common refrain, and I agree it must be a factor.  A problem is that people who are successful at "real life" don't tend to be attracted to politics, and we don't want the ones that were unsuccessful (Trump, for example). 

It used to be that the professional public service provided policy options that were well thought out and modelled - but for some years now personality politics has resulted in the public service being relegated to implementation of party policies and campaign promises rather than policy development. Not sure how big this is in Kiwiland, but we are sure well down that path in Oz.

Hang in there - we may soon be able to holiday in each other's countries again - the ANZAC bloc. ;)

54 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

It would be better to just short-circuit the process and make BB the POTUS.  He would likely do a better job.  Virtually anyone would. Ok, maybe not Pence. 

I agree that almost anyone would be better than the shistain but let's not get carried away. :D

15 minutes ago, wal' said:

.... but at least you have all the answers

...... or not...

..... cos how do we know?  All you ever do is bitch and moan

Never claimed to have all the answers. Probably the reason I like to question and listen. Unfortunately many, especially the media, have just sat back and believed whatever we are told.

Fair enough, each to their own, we need sheep as well as thinkers.

16 minutes ago, floating dutchman said:

Gissie, I think you're being a bit hard on our Government.  Remember they next to no time to prepare for something that they had not dealt with before.

The current infected cases are dropping fast so the lockdown is working.

The economic fallout is tough, and we will have a hangover from it for at least a couple of years but I don't see that Jacinda had many other options.

There has been no info forthcoming from the government on what data (they are always going on about listen to the data) used for any of their decisions.

However they did wave a report from Otago Uni researchers showing how we were looking at 8500 to 14500 deaths. The assumptions used in coming up with this number are odd, to be polite. If you are interested you can see an article at http://www.tailrisk.co.nz/document list

Anyway, we need to deal with what has happened. Just would have hoped that in the weeks since inventing the four levels they would have been able to sort out, plus communicate, what they all entailed. Instead it appears they are just making shit up on the fly.

Please don't think I am just saying this because it is Jacinda and Labour. I doubt Simon would have been any better. The only advantage he may have had was an older, more experienced bunch to back him up. But considering what they did to the place with John, not sure I want them in charge at a time like this.

26 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

A common refrain, and I agree it must be a factor.  A problem is that people who are successful at "real life" don't tend to be attracted to politics, and we don't want the ones that were unsuccessful (Trump, for example). 

It used to be that the professional public service provided policy options that were well thought out and modelled - but for some years now personality politics has resulted in the public service being relegated to implementation of party policies and campaign promises rather than policy development. Not sure how big this is in Kiwiland, but we are sure well down that path in Oz.

Hang in there - we may soon be able to holiday in each other's countries again - the ANZAC bloc. ;)

Public service is not the best any more over here. The boss of the Reserve Bank seems to be trying to set himself up for a run at Parliament. Our last treasury boss was Irish and allowed to walk unhindered after a big cockup. Our new one is an Aussie with bugger all experience in country economics, let alone NZ. Shit, our human rights boss is a bloody Pom.

But we will survive and likely the borders and travel between us cuzzie bros will likely be the first to get some traction. Might have to come over and give you guts a lesson in cricket once things open up. :lol:

• Like 1
9 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Yet you do not realize he has the same incompetent narcissist approach to every action he takes and every word he says.

Judging by today’s update, I think he got the message 

:D

Perhaps that explains why, when I just checked, the number of Covid deaths in the USA was around 4000 lower than when I last checked some time ago.

I expected that the U.S. reporting would be more trustworthy than that of, say, China.

Silly me.

3 hours ago, Black Sox said:

Yeah. Big trouble.

Queue the dramatic music...  

When you hear that you know there will be trouble.

That, and the romantic music.  (also leads to trouble, so equally dangerous, if not more!)

Report from the sticks: No toilet paper yet. Anyone tried those plastic bags? Pork selection looked lean but some available. 

Facemasks: I'd say maybe 10 of 30/40 shoppers had masks. About the same ratio as those with teeth and HD diplomas. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

Report from the sticks: No toilet paper yet. Anyone tried those plastic bags? Pork selection looked lean but some available. 

Facemasks: I'd say maybe 10 of 30/40 shoppers had masks. About the same ratio as those with teeth and HD diplomas. 

We still haven't needed TP replenishment.  I think we had 4 on hand when the home isolation began.  I reckon the Kimtech delicate task wipers on hand will be adequate, and not harm the septic system.

Stopped at the supermarket on the way home from work, and over 90% of shoppers and 100% of staff were masked.  CT just passed an order that everyone must wear one in a public place by 8 PM tonight.  Not certain, but I expect the Outer Banks probably has more people missing teeth and no high school diploma, than our relatively affluent area in SE CT on the CT river...

Boatyard still closed but neighbor business (classic car consignments) is running his biz.

I’m going to call and see if I can work in yard and not use facilities.   Bring boat’s mini porta potty.

City can see the cars out in yard going in/out so why would they object to working on boat outside &  far from anyone?

Am I being selfish here?   I don’t think I am. 

Comments?

56 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Have most things here in lower Cal.......even TP now.....most of the time. However, I cannot find yeast......anywhere......since the beginning of all this. I have a little left but......

Find a lady having difficulty sitting still. She may be able to help out...

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

Have most things here in lower Cal.......even TP now.....most of the time. However, I cannot find yeast......anywhere......since the beginning of all this. I have a little left but......

Well, we have starter but can not fine high gluten flour right now. 

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

Same hearre.....                           :)

Friend marching in San Clemente today to protest ‘stay-at/home’ orders.  Thinks we’re heading to some sort of “Socialist State” minus civil liberties.  ????    Left that alone.

My city proclaimed non-mandatory’ masks in public places in effect.  Other towns debating mandatory with fines for non-compliance.  

My grocery store has sign out front stating:  “no mask- no entry.”

Summer weather coming later this week.  Should be interesting to see how cities handle people on the streets and beaches.

23 hours ago, Point Break said:

I wonder what the exchange rate is for TP and yeast?

On 4/18/2020 at 3:05 PM, blunderfull said:

Boatyard still closed but neighbor business (classic car consignments) is running his biz.

I’m going to call and see if I can work in yard and not use facilities.   Bring boat’s mini porta potty.

City can see the cars out in yard going in/out so why would they object to working on boat outside &  far from anyone?

Am I being selfish here?   I don’t think I am. 

Comments?

It all seems a bit random. One guys business is dying on the vine, while anothers goes on as usual. My neighbor is a builder. His crews come and go from his property every day like nothings going on. Why the hell is new home construction essential?

Re your situation, maybe ask if you can work on your boat over there?-_-

Amazon just cancelled my subscribe n save tp order saying unavailable. Ordered $4/roll commercial tp as stopgap. None in stores. I guess it's  time for the rioters to get back to work and make and ship some before dying, I can let it sit on porch for a few days to wait out droplets.

28 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

How are they going to handle the logistics for testing and tracing if they can't get commercial tp repackaged and sent to stores?

Is that a comment on the "road map" I just linked? Have you got a lot of time on your hands and possibly a damp bottom? Stranded by your toileting difficulties? Why not take the opportunity to read the appendix that lays out their proposal? If you find something that you think is valuable in there you could text your local politicians even while awaiting new bottom cleaning papers. But, whatever, you do you.

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Amazon just cancelled my subscribe n save tp order saying unavailable. Ordered $4/roll commercial tp as stopgap. None in stores. I guess it's  time for the rioters to get back to work and make and ship some before dying, I can let it sit on porch for a few days to wait out droplets.

That's some white privilege right there. I love it. On the plus side, if we can't get food, the need for toilet paper will be much reduced. Rumor had it that the white folks store had a pallet of tp. Briefly. 

Just noticed it's 4/20 all day. 

40 minutes ago, weightless said:

Is that a comment on the "road map" I just linked? Have you got a lot of time on your hands and possibly a damp bottom? Stranded by your toileting difficulties? Why not take the opportunity to read the appendix that lays out their proposal? If you find something that you think is valuable in there you could text your local politicians even while awaiting new bottom cleaning papers. But, whatever, you do you.

Thanks for the suggestion. Printing the report and appendix may solve one problem for today.  Staying in the house does open up horizons of free time. Missed that this is a serious scientific forum.  

27 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

That's some white privilege right there. I love it. On the plus side, if we can't get food, the need for toilet paper will be much reduced. Rumor had it that the white folks store had a pallet of tp. Briefly. 

Just noticed it's 4/20 all day. 

So I forgot to use the "this is what the open up America now people plan" font, sorry. The great quote I saw is "The reason billionaires want you to go back to work now is because they didn't make their money. You did."

48 minutes ago, weightless said:

Nice picture. Nice words. Exactly how are they going to be implemented? Even given political will, it is among other things a software problem...adapting extant inventory and logistics software and finding reliable input data.

Yeah, and the "training" that will be easy. I am sure a US Government Board will do it all splendidly.

Or maybe Amazon, Google, Microsoft and Facebook, 

[Despair font]

roadmap (1).jpeg

19 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

[Despair font]

I get that. Very much. I hear your skepticism and I fear it is correct. Thanks for taking the time to give the paper a look.

Of course, there are no easy answers. Mathematical and logistical possibilities aren't necessarily politically possible. They lay out an outline that is plausible, but by no means certainly achievable, in the logistical realm. It would be a historically difficult undertaking if we chose to try it. We might fail at it. There are much worse choices. We can try to make a difference in what choices get made or we can let them be made for us.

Friend that marched in San Clemente past weekend is Libertarian.  In her mind the stay-at-home orders are incringing (most prominently) on her Tenth Amendment rights.

When I asked about the general lack of masks & distancing amongst the 200 marchers and, therefore, their lack of concern about the public health issue, she skipped over this.  

She feels our rights are being taken away  under the “ guise of a so-called pandemic.  She also feels the pandemic is being exaggerated  by “ the media.”   ????

I know several Liber’s with much the same takes on the current situation.

I just don’t understand “my rights” versus “our health” at a time like this.

3 minutes ago, weightless said:

I'm not a Libertarian but doesn't the harm principle apply?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harm_principle

I think so.   

The march in Colorado where hospital workers  (apparently)  in scrubs and masks who counter protested the main march and, were booed and verbally hassled, really was disturbing to watch.  

34 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Friend that marched in San Clemente past weekend is Libertarian.  In her mind the stay-at-home orders are incringing (most prominently) on her Tenth Amendment rights.

When I asked about the general lack of masks & distancing amongst the 200 marchers and, therefore, their lack of concern about the public health issue, she skipped over this.  

She feels our rights are being taken away  under the “ guise of a so-called pandemic.  She also feels the pandemic is being exaggerated  by “ the media.”   ????

I know several Liber’s with much the same takes on the current situation.

I just don’t understand “my rights” versus “our health” at a time like this.

That's because you have a functioning brain.

Many people I have met who say they are Libertarians aren't.  They think mistrusting government and knowing about secret plots to destroy them is all it takes. Libertarian sounds better than conspiracy nut. I will see how they fare, hey more vaccines for me. And tp ;)

Report from the styx: Covid Crazy?

coupla things: Last night about this time I heard a gunshot. Then the evening moved on as usual. No noticeable activity today. I dunno if there's a dead person close by.  Maybe there's a dead copperhead.  Kinda creeped me out tho.

2) The city removed the road barricade. All looked biz as usual driving around. I have a small side gig. No hassles. I'm an essential mofo. Tell the exes. 

3) I reported that the white folks grocery had toilet paper yesterday. The rest of the story I heard today was that a pack of  toilet paper was the only item my informant purchased.  When pressed, he admitted he has a couple of packs at home already.

Looks like Donny and Larry  and Elon's magic cure may have a few bad observations, but am sure the free Oracle crowdsourced science database will reveal all. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/04/21/anti-malarial-drug-trump-touted-is-linked-higher-rates-death-va-coronavirus-patients-study-says/

22 hours ago, mad said:

When’s the next local klan meeting?

Dunno but I'm sure they have them hereabouts.  They might wear those sheets after dark but very few masked folks at grocery today. They aint skeered.

12 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

And black death. 

Today I gave my impression of Vincent van Gogh at the hardware store. Briefly, of course.

Face mask struggles - 9GAG

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Just describing my neighbors and the purposeful ignorance here in the South. PA is down the hall.

A person's race, working outdoors, and doing manual labor are now considered negative and political?

What the fuck happened that I haven't been paying attention to?