21 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Meat shortages ahead. Buy a freezer or lose 30#?

Existential questions in the time of Covid.

The woods are full of meat around here.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi ya'll. Well this is a son of a bitch. I've weathered a lot of shit and discomfort in my life but this is a MF.....and I would classify my case as moderate. I can't imagine those who become critical

Well...............after two pretty shitty days....not as shitty as the first round mind you, but still pretty shitty.....with the exact same symptoms but less intense, today I feel better. Not 100% b

To help with any confusion from the update today. The Rules: 1. Basically, you can't leave the house for any reason, but if you have to, then you can. 2. Masks are useless, but maybe yo

Posted Images

The deer in my subdivision are starting to look good too.  Fucking monster tom turkey was in the middle of the street yesterday walking around like he owned the place.  Need to dig through my boxes and find my old crossbow.

2 hours ago, warbird said:

Maybe during "cowering at home" grocers should be shut down so retail, tramsport, process and production workers can stay safe.National guard can just drive down the street in deuce and halfs and toss out boxes of government cheese.:ph34r:

Coastal folk will get by with clams, crabs and fish. We've a growing stone crab fishery too. Global warming?

This might be the year we all eat all the tomatoes we grow.  I've got a possum and rabbits. Used to have rabbit weekly as a kid. I can do it again.

Probably will suck to live in a city.

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

Coastal folk will get by with clams, crabs and fish. We've a growing stone crab fishery too. Global warming?

This might be the year we all eat all the tomatoes we grow.  I've got a possum and rabbits. Used to have rabbit weekly as a kid. I can do it again.

Powered well pump irrigation system rebuilt this weekend. Assessed and started planning for rehab of syphon powered system. 

Think I can spin a turbine with siphoned water? Free electrons.

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

What happens when the cities get over run with zombies?  Well, the living folks run out to the country of course.  And woefully unprepared.

You may get house guests.

Of course you can shoot them I guess, but I would not suggest eating people.  That is what the zombies do.

It will be a nuisance and messy either way.

Your tomatoes are not safe.

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

We trust you aren't doing any of that fag shit.

Get out there and get close with everyone who has your attitude - show the world who the strong ones are.

Share a beer or two, pass a bottle of whisky around.

Went and helped a buddy install and time a distributor on his mercruiser. He picked up the timing light from Monkey. Is "that fag shit " or what?

3 hours ago, Windward said:

What happens when the cities get over run with zombies hungry people?  Well, the living folks run out to the country of course.  And woefully unprepared. ...

Tell it to the many folks who don't think that's possible. When the trucks stop, trouble starts. 

Hope I'm wrong about that. For your sake. 

Bet there are a shitload of screenplays being written as I type this.

3 hours ago, warbird said:

Went and helped a buddy install and time a distributor on his mercruiser. He picked up the timing light from Monkey. Is "that fag shit " or what?

Your reading skills haven't improved - that "cowering in place" is the fag shit.

I trust you two got your heads real close together when you were tuning the engine and then shared a beer after?

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

Your reading skills haven't improved - that "cowering in place" is the fag shit.

I trust you two got your heads real close together when you were tuning the engine and then shared a beer after?

No, just passed a cheap bourbon bottle back and forth.  Those 1.75s don't last like they did in the old days.

13 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Meat shortages ahead. Buy a freezer or lose 30#?

Existential questions in the time of Covid.

Two local poultry plants were shut down apparently because the owners didn't provide workers adequate safeguards to prevent transmission.  We may be looking at a chicken shortage soon.

9 hours ago, warbird said:

No, just passed a cheap bourbon bottle back and forth.  Those 1.75s don't last like they did in the old days.

Darwin still has slots available, get in early though, there’s a rush at the moment. 

4 hours ago, Rain Man said:

Two local poultry plants were shut down apparently because the owners didn't provide workers adequate safeguards to prevent transmission.  We may be looking at a chicken shortage soon.

And a meat plant as reported on the Today show just now. Might be switching to seafood earlier than planned. Betcha cast and gill net prices are heading north. 

After meat, there will be a run on canned food. Then it may be on. 

3 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

And a meat plant as reported on the Today show just now. Might be switching to seafood earlier than planned. Betcha cast and gill net prices are heading north. 

The demise of factory farmed meat pumped full of antibiotics, chlorine and water may not be a bad thing. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, hobot said:

Well, how am I going to be getting my input of chlorine if that happens?

Geez, if it's not one crises it's another!

SA Swim team?

Newport Beach city council meets tomm to consider closing beaches next 3 weekends.

Not many options left to break up the crowds roaming alleys and neighborhoods.

Mayor points out that by looking at ‘top down’ photos from helicopters you get a much different take than the horizontal shots the national news feeds throw out.  Overall, most we’re keeping distance.  Tho without parking, the crowds pack the alleys with impromptu parties.   No easy way around it.

Heat wave in the valley and LA beach closure puts OC on the spot.   News from Dago County is that they’re reopening beaches thus week.  

3 hours ago, hobot said:

Well, how am I going to be getting my input of chlorine if that happens?

Geez, if it's not one crises it's another!

Ask the orange one,  isn't chlorine a constituent of some bleaches... 

6 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

I just ordered more 5 oz tuna cans from CVS via Shipt. Mr Clew will havento accept some changes. Pasta and tuna. Interestingly, OJ is still easy to get. Baking supplies gone. Even vanilla. 

1 minute ago, NeedAClew said:

I just ordered more 5 oz tuna cans from CVS via Shipt. Mr Clew will havento accept some changes. Pasta and tuna. Interestingly, OJ is still easy to get. Baking supplies gone. Even vanilla. 

As long as he’s not drinking the hand wash, he should be fine. 

• Like 1

And in other news, New Zealand's strict quarantine for almost 5 weeks seems to have worked and we have now eased up on the lock-down measures.

MacDonald's is open, drive through only, Hardware stores, click and collect etc.

Slowly we get to start ramping up our economy.

Wonder how many times this story will repeat before the knuckleheads get the message.....

Covid 19 coronavirus: US man who dismissed coronavirus as 'political ploy' dies from virus

22 Apr, 2020 11:33am

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned “the worst is yet ahead of us" for the coronavirus pandemic. Video / AP

NZ Herald

A US man who dismissed the Covid-19 pandemic as a "political ploy" and rubbished lockdown protocols has died of coronavirus.

Columbus man John McDaniel passed away last Wednesday, one month after taking to social media to fire off a series of aggressive messages denouncing the legitimacy of Covid-19.

"Does anybody have the guts to say this Covid-19 is a political ploy? Asking for a friend. Prove me wrong," he wrote on March 13.

He then hit out at Ohio's governor, Mike DeWine, who ordered a state-wide lockdown, including the closing of bars and restaurants.

McDaniel, 60, said the virus shouldn't stop people living their lives.

"If what I'm hearing is true, that DeWine has ordered all bars and restaurants to be closed, I say bulls***!

"He doesn't have that authority. If you are paranoid about getting sick just don't go out. It shouldn't keep those of us from living our lives.

"The madness has to stop."

The 60-year-old's Facebook page has since been removed.

His obituary confirmed he died "with his loving family by his side from complications from Covid-19".

America has now surpassed the death toll of the entire 15 years of Vietnam.

Next up - the 100K death toll of WW I.

Sure is a good thing that Trump & the Republicans are running things - just imagine what it would be like if Hillary had won.

25 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

America has now surpassed the death toll of the entire 15 years of Vietnam.

Next up - the 100K death toll of WW I.

Sure is a good thing that Trump & the Republicans are running things - just imagine what it would be like if Hillary had won.

Google says 58,412 Covid deaths in the USA, (.0178%).  Canada has 2852, (.0076%).  A difference of basically a hundredth of a percent, which is marginally better.  Why aren't you ragging on Canada?  I mean we have an excuse, we're American.  What's Canada's defense?  One could argue they've dropped the ball as the population density is lower than that of the United States.  Square miles is comparable.  Population in the US is almost a factor of nine different.

Would things actually be different in any meaningful way in regards to this virus with Clinton at the wheel?  Would the W.H.O. have responded better?  Would the people working at the CDC that were there before this administration, (and probably will be afterwards), done anything differently?  We were fucked no matter who won in 2016.
I'm not defending cheeto, but what you are implying, seems like a stretch.

I imagine Hillary would've made sure somebody had a single car accident, and the investigators would've overlooked he was covered in trunk carpet fibres, or that he was driving from the trunk....   Allegedly.

I can't find the fact to back it up now, but I thought I once read that when the Allies bombed Dresden, they wiped out 100,000 people.  Perspective is fun.

Math is hard isn't it Lifer?

USA 177 deaths per million.

Canada 76 deaths per million

B.C. 19 deaths per million

Of course the Boxing Day Tsunami killed 250,000 so WTF does it matter how incompetent Trump and the Republicans are, right?

We don't know how many deaths have been caused by ncov. Excess deaths associated with ncov are a great many more than the current death count in some of the hardest hit areas.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/27/upshot/coronavirus-deaths-new-york-city.html

image.thumb.png.8cad2175f5b5c048158eed0f90578c2f.png

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html

image.thumb.png.aefba05708c7c1a7a27e46c504ad0290.png

49 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Math is hard isn't it Lifer?

USA 177 deaths per million.

Canada 76 deaths per million

B.C. 19 deaths per million

Of course the Boxing Day Tsunami killed 250,000 so WTF does it matter how incompetent Trump and the Republicans are, right?

Nope, my math all checks out and those percentages hold.  That's still a marginal improvement.

The question still stands, why aren't you ragging on Canada?

What's your threshold for acceptable? It's clearly somewhere between the United States numbers and Canada's.  Why aren't you up in arms for the 57,000,000 people that died in 2017?

Idiot Trump and the left winger Republicans have nothing to do with it.

14 minutes ago, Hatin' life said:

Nope, my math all checks out and those percentages hold.  That's still a marginal improvement.

What's your threshold for acceptable? It's clearly somewhere between the United States numbers and Canada's.  Why aren't you up in arms for the 57,000,000 people that died in 2017?

Jesus, man - I used to think you were pretty sensible for a seppo.  What's happened?

Objectively, it is impossible to NOT rank USA as the worst performing country on the entire planet in relation to COVID-19.  Infections, deaths, whatever metric you choose, USA comes LAST!  Give up the ragging on Canada line, it's unsupportable. 

Go get laid, or hammered, and get on with your life - a hundred thousand of your countrymen have been deprived of the opportunity to do the same thing.  Think yourself lucky, and hope the luck holds.

22 minutes ago, Hatin' life said:

Classic. :D

A death rate 48% of yours - in an effectively identical environment - is a marginal improvement is it?

Like I said, math is hard for you.

My threshold for acceptable is zero - beyond that it's a measure of the performance of the officials. Ours are doing pretty well - especially our own Doctor Bonnie who has given us a death rate less than 11%  of yours.

Yours? Not so much.

23 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Jesus, man - I used to think you were pretty sensible for a seppo.  What's happened?

Objectively, it is impossible to NOT rank USA as the worst performing country on the entire planet in relation to COVID-19.  Infections, deaths, whatever metric you choose, USA comes LAST!  Give up the ragging on Canada line, it's unsupportable. 

Go get laid, or hammered, and get on with your life - a hundred thousand of your countrymen have been deprived of the opportunity to do the same thing.  Think yourself lucky, and hope the luck holds.

I'm not ragging on Canada.  I'm wondering why a difference of .01% is worth bragging about?  The number only matters when compared to the whole.

I also don't care where anybody ranks.  More of that tiresome team shit coming out.  SloopJonB constantly pissing and moaning about the US.  He doesn't live here, he just wants to pretend he's superior somehow.  He's not.  Though be does whine about not being able to play with cars, yet pays others to play with cars and thinks he's bragging.  That's Bull gator tactics 101.  The likely scenario is he is incapable of changing his own oil, and had all that excess money floating around, he can afford that extra $15 for an oil change

He is my favorite new toy.  Shallow, insecure, and reaks of a desperate want for validation.  That's where the posturing and virtue signaling comes from typically.  

28 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Classic. :D

A death rate 48% of yours - in an effectively identical environment - is a marginal improvement is it?

Like I said, math is hard for you.

My threshold for acceptable is zero - beyond that it's a measure of the performance of the officials. Ours are doing pretty well - especially our own Doctor Bonnie who has given us a death rate less than 11%  of yours.

Yours? Not so much.

My threshold is the total population minus about six people.  Outside of that six or so, I didn't give a shit about them yesterday.  I didn't today.  I likely won't tomorrow.  I don't have a bond with the rest of you.  You can live forever, I don't care.  You can walk into the ocean and never return.  I don't care.

Identical environment?  Same area.  Basically a tenth of the population.  

If you think the Republicans are significantly different than Democrats, you need to pick up a junior high civics book.  Trumpledore has been a Democrat this whole life, not sure anything has changed.

19 minutes ago, weightless said:

USA has counted around two and a third times as many deaths per population as Canada .

I'm not sure it is fair to say the the USA is objectively dong the worst in relation to ncov.  There are many confounding factors.

http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

image.thumb.png.ad9bdf16388f7310b6cc3da9eb287fe0.png

I wonder where Sweden ranks.  They did nothing but tell people, (paraphrasing), if you're sick or old, stay home.

Oop, faint blue just above the US.

44 minutes ago, Hatin' life said:

I'm not ragging on Canada.  I'm wondering why a difference of .01% is worth bragging about?  The number only matters when compared to the whole.

I also don't care where anybody ranks.  More of that tiresome team shit coming out.  SloopJonB constantly pissing and moaning about the US.  He doesn't live here, he just wants to pretend he's superior somehow.  He's not.  Though be does whine about not being able to play with cars, yet pays others to play with cars and thinks he's bragging.  That's Bull gator tactics 101.  The likely scenario is he is incapable of changing his own oil, and had all that excess money floating around, he can afford that extra $15 for an oil change

He is my favorite new toy.  Shallow, insecure, and reaks of a desperate want for validation.  That's where the posturing and virtue signaling comes from typically.  

:lol: Don't quit your day job for a career in psychotherapy.

33 minutes ago, Hatin' life said:

My threshold is the total population minus about six people.  Outside of that six or so, I didn't give a shit about them yesterday.  I didn't today.  I likely won't tomorrow.  I don't have a bond with the rest of you.  You can live forever, I don't care.  You can walk into the ocean and never return.  I don't care.

Identical environment?  Same area.  Basically a tenth of the population.  

If you think the Republicans are significantly different than Democrats, you need to pick up a junior high civics book.  Trumpledore has been a Democrat this whole life, not sure anything has changed.

:rolleyes:

I see geography and social studies are as hard for you as math.

Boy did you choose a name well.

Though you might consider altering it to "Ignorant and Hatin' life".

• Like 1
3 hours ago, weightless said:

USA has counted around two and a third times as many deaths per population as Canada .

I'm not sure it is fair to say the the USA is objectively dong the worst in relation to ncov.  There are many confounding factors.

http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

image.thumb.png.ad9bdf16388f7310b6cc3da9eb287fe0.png

What a hilarious chart. Plotted on a logarithmic scale, makes all the countries look pretty close. Statistics are amazing, you can use the same set of data to paint completely different pictures. 

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

:rolleyes:

I see geography and social studies are as hard for you as math.

Boy did you choose a name well.

Though you might consider altering it to "Ignorant and Hatin' life".

Okay.... The square miles are dang near the same.  Canada: 3.885M mi²  USA: 3.797M mi².  Pretty darn close.

The U.S. has 328M people.  Canada 38M people.  Not sure if you know what most of the buttons on the calculator do, but this ain't even simple trig.  That's 11½% of the population, for 111% of the area.

I'd hardly call that comparable.

If that isn't a factor, why the hubbub for social distancing?  Everybody else seems to think population density is one of the highest factors in contagions.  Or is that just more of your pretend arrogance you like to blend in with your persona?

So why no hand wringing over the 59,000,000 that died last year.  Were they less important to you?  Where was your soap box six months ago?

6 hours ago, Hatin' life said:

Google says 58,412 Covid deaths in the USA, (.0178%).  Canada has 2852, (.0076%).  A difference of basically a hundredth of a percent, which is marginally better.  Why aren't you ragging on Canada?  I mean we have an excuse, we're American.  What's Canada's defense?  One could argue they've dropped the ball as the population density is lower than that of the United States.  Square miles is comparable.  Population in the US is almost a factor of nine different.

Would things actually be different in any meaningful way in regards to this virus with Clinton at the wheel?  Would the W.H.O. have responded better?  Would the people working at the CDC that were there before this administration, (and probably will be afterwards), done anything differently?  We were fucked no matter who won in 2016.
I'm not defending cheeto, but what you are implying, seems like a stretch.

I imagine Hillary would've made sure somebody had a single car accident, and the investigators would've overlooked he was covered in trunk carpet fibres, or that he was driving from the trunk....   Allegedly.

I can't find the fact to back it up now, but I thought I once read that when the Allies bombed Dresden, they wiped out 100,000 people.  Perspective is fun.

i'm sorry, but the US has 58k deaths out of 217k deaths world wide,  we are 28% of the total deaths...  canada has 1.3% of the total deaths..  why so much hate, are you a Packers fan?

Just now, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i'm sorry, but the US has 58k deaths out of 217k deaths world wide,  we are 28% of the total deaths...  canada has 1.3% of the total deaths..  why so much hate, are you a Packers fan?

No doubt, we've got numbers.  But, we also test a lot, there's a lot of the planet where that doesn't hold true.  I doubt there is much testing in rural China.  They are likely to be happy with a big dent in the population anyways.  Nobody lives in Canada either, so of course the numbers will be lower.  How do they stack up to countries with comparable population, population density, climate probably plays a roll, and testing saturation?

There's absolutely no way, unless there's something genetically at play, that China has only 5000 deaths.  How does that affect the overall numbers?  Are they accurate?  I doubt not.  I'd gamble that many countries, if not all, are lying to some extent.  This isn't a yay America thing, I bet they're cooking the books too.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hatin' life said:

Okay.... The square miles are dang near the same.  Canada: 3.885M mi²  USA: 3.797M mi².  Pretty darn close.

The U.S. has 328M people.  Canada 38M people.  Not sure if you know what most of the buttons on the calculator do, but this ain't even simple trig.  That's 11½% of the population, for 111% of the area.

I'd hardly call that comparable.

If that isn't a factor, why the hubbub for social distancing?  Everybody else seems to think population density is one of the highest factors in contagions.  Or is that just more of your pretend arrogance you like to blend in with your persona?

So why no hand wringing over the 59,000,000 that died last year.  Were they less important to you?  Where was your soap box six months ago?

Back to grade 8 geography dummy.

image.png.e02f9f392471daf2050060b3ff2c3159.pngimage.png.40ca811e4ff29d1803e4bfd12fcfcbd4.pngimage.png.1e99d36dd184d5b32725443a55a92360.png

1 hour ago, wristwister said:

What a hilarious chart. Plotted on a logarithmic scale, makes all the countries look pretty close. Statistics are amazing, you can use the same set of data to paint completely different pictures. 

I dunno, I think that chart does a good job of representing my two points. Changing from a log scale to a linear scale would not make any difference. No statistics were harmed in the making of that post.

17th Century physicians who tended to plague victims wore the costume 17th Century physicians who tended to plague victims wore the costume

British police say they are keen to speak to a person who has been dressing as a 17th century plague doctor for walks during the coronavirus lockdown.

The unidentified individual has been spotted in the Norwich suburb of Hellesdon wearing a long black cloak, hat and pointed beak-like mask in recent weeks.

People posting on a community Facebook page said the outfit could frighten children, with Norfolk Police saying they wanted to give "words of advice" to the person.

Jade Gosbell, 21, took a photograph of the person walking across a recreation ground in Hellesdon.

"It was like 20 degrees, he was wearing a full black suit, it just looked ridiculous," she said.

"It's clearly for attention or something like that, because normal people just wouldn't do that."

She said: "I was sitting there and I was getting angry myself as my mum has a phobia of masks.

"I know that even in daylight if she was to go round the corner and bump into him she would be so scared.

"Kids would be frightened, my mum would be frightened, however some people really don't think it's that deep, they just think that he's having a laugh, he's just trying to find something to do with himself during isolation and lockdown."

She said she has not seen the person since a Facebook post drew attention to them, adding: "I was told that if I see him again to call the police."

In 17th century Europe, physicians who tended to plague victims wore a costume that has since taken on sinister overtones.

People mistakenly believed the outfits could purify poisonous air.

A Norfolk Police spokesman said: "Officers have been made aware of an individual who was seen walking around the Hellesdon area wearing a plague outfit.

"Although no offences have been committed at this time, officers are keen to trace the individual in order to provide words of advice about the implications of his actions on the local community.

"Should any further information come forward about any offences being committed, we will act accordingly." 

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0429/1135515-uk-plague-doctor-police/

• Like 1
7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Back to grade 8 geography dummy.

image.png.e02f9f392471daf2050060b3ff2c3159.pngimage.png.40ca811e4ff29d1803e4bfd12fcfcbd4.pngimage.png.1e99d36dd184d5b32725443a55a92360.png

Cool, you've discovered not many people live in the Rockies.  Proud of you.

Want some pictures of the middle of the United States where no one lives to go with it?

21 minutes ago, Black Sox said:

17th Century physicians who tended to plague victims wore the costume 17th Century physicians who tended to plague victims wore the costume

British police say they are keen to speak to a person who has been dressing as a 17th century plague doctor for walks during the coronavirus lockdown.

The unidentified individual has been spotted in the Norwich suburb of Hellesdon wearing a long black cloak, hat and pointed beak-like mask in recent weeks.

People posting on a community Facebook page said the outfit could frighten children, with Norfolk Police saying they wanted to give "words of advice" to the person.

Jade Gosbell, 21, took a photograph of the person walking across a recreation ground in Hellesdon.

"It was like 20 degrees, he was wearing a full black suit, it just looked ridiculous," she said.

"It's clearly for attention or something like that, because normal people just wouldn't do that."

She said: "I was sitting there and I was getting angry myself as my mum has a phobia of masks.

"I know that even in daylight if she was to go round the corner and bump into him she would be so scared.

"Kids would be frightened, my mum would be frightened, however some people really don't think it's that deep, they just think that he's having a laugh, he's just trying to find something to do with himself during isolation and lockdown."

She said she has not seen the person since a Facebook post drew attention to them, adding: "I was told that if I see him again to call the police."

In 17th century Europe, physicians who tended to plague victims wore a costume that has since taken on sinister overtones.

People mistakenly believed the outfits could purify poisonous air.

A Norfolk Police spokesman said: "Officers have been made aware of an individual who was seen walking around the Hellesdon area wearing a plague outfit.

"Although no offences have been committed at this time, officers are keen to trace the individual in order to provide words of advice about the implications of his actions on the local community.

"Should any further information come forward about any offences being committed, we will act accordingly." 

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0429/1135515-uk-plague-doctor-police/

Got mine ready for Halloween, lets see if there's any sense of humour about it by then? :ph34r: 

• Like 1

Beach battle heating up.

https://voiceofoc.org/2020/04/newport-beach-keeps-beaches-open-amid-covid-19-concerns/

We’ve got OC agst the gov and a couple brush fires over photos used to make each side’s case.

Newp Mayor O’Neil said this morning to expect seeing 2-3x  number of police/lifeguards on weekends.

40-50,000 people in Newport last weekend.

Lost in the message from the State is that their state beaches are still open - minus parking.   WTF?   

Quarantine shaming.

4 hours ago, Hatin' life said:

Cool, you've discovered not many people live in the Rockies.  Proud of you.

Like I said - Back to grade 8 geography dummy.

Nunavut and the Northwest Territories.

80% or more of Canada looks like that. If you hadn't flunked elementary geography you'd know that.

The populated part of Canada closely mimics the USA for population density - and most other things. For example - did you know that we are the worlds second biggest manufacturer of American cars?

It is very doubtful that there are two other countries on earth that are more similar in every fundamental way than Canada and the USA.

There's a reason why the inscription on the Peace Arch is "Children Of A Common Mother"

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

The populated part of Canada closely mimics the USA for population density

At the "assume a spherical cow" level, yes. However, the population density at the country level isn't all that important. Neither country is homogeneous. The most population dense areas of the US are far more dense than the most population dense areas of Canada. Toronto has 4k people per km NYC has 67k people per km. There is a strong association between population density and the severity of the outbreak.

Here's a map of cases by county in the US. Most US counties have fewer cases per 100k than Toronto.

https://usafacts.org/visualizations/coronavirus-covid-19-spread-map/

image.thumb.png.fd4c1e7e186f880a4bfcfff3d2ee4ee3.png

15 hours ago, Hatin' life said:

. . .and this is where averages are deceiving.  Most of Canada's population is concentrated in metropolitan areas, just like in the US.  Therefore, it's deceiving to spread the entire population of either country across their land mass, and then compare them.  I would be better to compare the centers of population density above a given threshold of each country.

If I understand the point you're trying to make, it's that Canada has much less population density overall, so therefore isn't even doing as good a job as the US is, if you consider the populations even distributed across their respective lands. Problem is, the populations are distributed like that.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, weightless said:

I dunno, I think that chart does a good job of representing my two points. Changing from a log scale to a linear scale would not make any difference. No statistics were harmed in the making of that post.

Not sure about that. The problem with all these charts being thrown around is that the average reader probably doesn't study the numbers behind the chart, but rather takes a quick glance at the pretty lines and draws conclusions. In the case of the chart you referenced, a quick glance says "Looks like the US is on par with other countries, a little higher death rate than Canada". But if this same data were plotted on a linear scale, the conclusion drawn would be "Holy crap! The US  has more than double the death rate as Canada!"

Like I said, the art of plotting statistics can paint any picture desired.

Of all the various maps & stats & charts about the bug it strikes me that the only really significant one is deaths per million population.

Not really any way of distorting that short of lying about the numbers.

Which I'm sure every thinking person realizes China has been doing.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Of all the various maps & stats & charts about the bug it strikes me that the only really significant one is deaths per million population.

Yeah, but that's problematic, too. It fails to show the differences between Northern Italy and the south or upstate New York and the NYC area and so on. Those are meaningful distinctions. NY state, including upstate, has something like an order of magnitude greater death toll per capita than the nation as a whole. The NYC area is much worse than the state as a whole and so on. The very bad outcomes in small regions (eg. NYC, Lombardy, etc) skew national averages significantly.

I'm not comfortable with posing this primarily as a morality story. Agency matters. However, different places have different risks and I'm pretty convinced that initial spread patterns are chaotic. So, I expect that some places may see bad outcomes even if they do all the right things and some places may see good outcomes despite making riskier choices.

57 minutes ago, wristwister said:

Not sure about that. The problem with all these charts being thrown around is that the average reader probably doesn't study the numbers behind the chart,.... But if this same data were plotted on a linear scale, the conclusion drawn would be "Holy crap! The US  has more than double the death rate as Canada!"

Like I said, the art of plotting statistics can paint any picture desired.

I posted the ratio between the US and Canada above the chart. Your implication that it was my desire to suggest something different with that chart is BS.

19 minutes ago, weightless said:

I posted the ratio between the US and Canada above the chart. Your implication that it was my desire to suggest something different with that chart is BS.

Easy now, I didn't mean to imply any such thing. I realize you didn't make this chart on your own, but rather found it on the interwebs. I was just making a general observation about chartsmanship.

In a memo sent to all police chiefs, Gov Newsome’s office said he’ll close ALL California beaches starting Friday.  

It appears he can override county/town orders, so what happens next is anyone’s guess.  

20 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

. . .and this is where averages are deceiving.  Most of Canada's population is concentrated in metropolitan areas, just like in the US.  Therefore, it's deceiving to spread the entire population of either country across their land mass, and then compare them.  I would be better to compare the centers of population density above a given threshold of each country.

If I understand the point you're trying to make, it's that Canada has much less population density overall, so therefore isn't even doing as good a job as the US is, if you consider the populations even distributed across their respective lands. Problem is, the populations are distributed like that.

Canada is doing a better job.  And you are correct, a lot of the population is not in the frozen tundra.  They still don't have the density that the coasts of the US does.  There's maps that show population density for North America.

Nobody lives in Minnesota, there's been 300 deaths as of this morning the radio said.  That's out of 5.64M people.  (.0053%)  That's way the fuck better than Canada by SloopJonB's reasoning and their .0076% rate. Woopty doo,  .0023% is nothing. I could also guess that's why I think this is blown out of proportion?  It essentially doesn't exist here, meaning in Minnesota.

My point is while Canada is doing better, it's almost insignificantly better, so why would someone bitch about a country they do not live in, when they aren't doing better without bending logic and numbers to pretend they are?

Now if Canada had the numbers of China per capita, that would be worth bragging about.

https://voiceofoc.org/2020/04/gov-newsom-opts-to-only-close-orange-county-beaches-due-to-coronavirus-concerns/

“Hard closure........disturbing images. ????

This will get weird at about 7am Saturday when the surf tribes challenge the Lifeguards.   Couple hrs later police & beach mob square off.   

Demonstration at HB pier should be.....interesting. 

Newsome’s comments seem to be often directed at Newp Mayor Will O’Neill.   

The Mayor’s profile is rising.  He calls in M-F at 8:10 am on The Poorman’s KOCI 101.5 FM show (webcast live as well).

OC Sherrif said he wont enforce Gov’s order with arrests.  I suspect local LE will move slowly on arrests.  That would be high risk move.   Let us decide what we want to do outside.   I think most people will keep distance.

Talked to a retired EW nurse today who was offered $6k/week to return to work.   She said no.

12 hours ago, blunderfull said:

OC Sherrif said he wont enforce Gov’s order with arrests.  I suspect local LE will move slowly on arrests.  That would be high risk move.   Let us decide what we want to do outside.   I think most people will keep distance.

Talked to a retired EW nurse today who was offered $6k/week to return to work.   She said no.

Meanwhile they just released 7 habitual sex offenders with a “high likelihood to reoffend” because they were worried they would catch COVID in jail.

Sigh........

https://abc7.com/orange-county-sex-offenders-crime-jail/6137815/

Live @ Blackies:   30 surfers in water and “fat guy in speedo” prancing around.   Crowd watching unmarked red (state?) truck that pulls into water facing surfers.  LE/Guard trucks standing down.  Two girls with boards walk across sand& paddle out.

Blackies (the bar) appears to be open.  Lol...

Channel 7 truck nearby.

4 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Oh look.....one reoffended already.........I’m shocked......

https://abc7.com/orange-county-sex-offenders-crime-jail/6141358/

Lovely...  Seems like repeat stupidity of bureaucrats should be charted somewhere.  There seems no repercussions to elected/appointed/nepotism officials.  Certainly not to the public who vote the idiots back in repeatedly.