30 minutes ago, Gangbusters said:

You are fucking stupid. Yes pandemics do what pandemics do. However most of the world does not live a primitive existence like humans have done for a few thousand years. We have the ability to not allow this pandemic to be the same as the Spanish Flu or the Black Death, unless we keep our heads up our arses like you seem to be doing. 

Are you sure he doesn't have his head up Shitstains arse??

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi ya'll. Well this is a son of a bitch. I've weathered a lot of shit and discomfort in my life but this is a MF.....and I would classify my case as moderate. I can't imagine those who become critical

Well...............after two pretty shitty days....not as shitty as the first round mind you, but still pretty shitty.....with the exact same symptoms but less intense, today I feel better. Not 100% b

To help with any confusion from the update today. The Rules: 1. Basically, you can't leave the house for any reason, but if you have to, then you can. 2. Masks are useless, but maybe yo

Posted Images

"Pandemics do what pandemics do... read history." I have read history.  Why do masses of Europeans not have the bubonic plague anymore?  The figured out the problem and ended it.  What did they do in Shakespeare's time to flatten the curve?  They shut down the theaters and public gatherings. Sound familiar? Why would there be no polio anymore except for the anti-vax/science crowd? We found a vaccine. Why would there be no childhood measles anymore except for the same sources of denial? We found a vaccine.  Why are people in first world countries not dying of HIV/AIDS anymore? They found a treatment regime. Why are first people in first world countries not suffering from leprosy/Hansen's disease? They found a treatment regime. People used to die of various infections quite commonly; there was a time when wounds were largely death sentences.  Instead of saying that infections do what they do we found/invented antibiotics.   And why is this pandemic not doing what pandemics do in Australia and New Zealand for example?  Their governments listened to the scientists. In history, leaders have emerged in both the government and science community who have changed the course of what pandemics and diseases do. We have the science community-some of the best in the world.  So what are we missing?

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Hawaiidart said:

"Pandemics do what pandemics do... read history." I have read history.  Why do masses of Europeans not have the bubonic plague anymore?  The figured out the problem and ended it.  What did they do in Shakespeare's time to flatten the curve?  They shut down the theaters and public gatherings. Sound familiar? Why would there be no polio anymore except for the anti-vax/science crowd? We found a vaccine. Why would there be no childhood measles anymore except for the same sources of denial? We found a vaccine.  Why are people in first world countries not dying of HIV/AIDS anymore? They found a treatment regime. Why are first people in first world countries not suffering from leprosy/Hansen's disease? They found a treatment regime. People used to die of various infections quite commonly; there was a time when wounds were largely death sentences.  Instead of saying that infections do what they do we found/invented antibiotics.   And why is this pandemic not doing what pandemics do in Australia and New Zealand for example?  Their governments listened to the scientists. In history, leaders have emerged in both the government and science community who have changed the course of what pandemics and diseases do. We have the science community-some of the best in the world.  So what are we missing?

Leadership

• Like 3
2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

If Presidunce Dolt 45 had a shred of leadership and responsibility and not abandoned the country on this, it could and would have been a different story.

I have to say.......I try to give him credit where its due - after all he is POTUS - even when he behaves like a petulant 8 year old.........but he really has managed it poorly and each step of the way instead of a pivot he just doubles down. 

13 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I have to say.......I try to give him credit where its due - after all he is POTUS - even when he behaves like a petulant 8 year old.........but he really has managed it poorly and each step of the way instead of a pivot he just doubles down. 

Everytime he pivots, we get a divot.

• Like 1
On 7/17/2020 at 5:29 PM, BravoBravo said:

On 7/17/2020 at 5:31 PM, BravoBravo said:

12 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

Didn't most of agree awhile back we were not opening these blind links? 

4 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Didn't most of agree awhile back we were not opening these blind links? 

No - we agreed to not open anything posted by BozoBozo. Doing so is guaranteed to lower your IQ.

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

Actually, this one is a good read. It’s a compare and contrast with previous outbreaks with discussion about how the differences are important.

Actually an excellent read from The Lancet - I doubt you know who actually read it since it doesn't support any of his memes.

On 7/17/2020 at 12:55 PM, LenP said:

Unfortunately, I think we will hit 200k by Labor day even with serious mitigation. Without it, we could see 250k by then.

As there is little sign certain leaders feel it's their responsibility to do anything.  They pass the buck - from Washington to the states to the counties and on to businesses.  Complete and utter failure of leadership.

But if the spikes we are seeing in the southern states have anything to do with people spending more time in air conditioning, we could see a resurgence in the northern states come the fall.  Without leaders who put the goof of the people above their political careers, we're in for a long battle.

36 minutes ago, Jules said:

As there is little sign certain leaders feel it's their responsibility to do anything.  They pass the buck - from Washington to the states to the counties and on to businesses.  Complete and utter failure of leadership.

But if the spikes we are seeing in the southern states have anything to do with people spending more time in air conditioning, we could see a resurgence in the northern states come the fall.  Without leaders who put the goof of the people above their political careers, we're in for a long battle.

Well, the GOP certainly put the goof of the people above their political careers.

So today I read that Earl Thomas died from Covid-19 on July 4th. He and Elmo Wright sat next to me for a year in class - we weren't friends because they were big time football players at UH and both went on the NFL careers and I was a nobody just trying to stay alive having a week from a small HS to college. I was in the UH band so saw them play at games, the team was big time then and beating a lot of big programs helped in large part because they recruited black players. These were also the 1st black guys I had ever been around. They were quiet and studious so never said much more than hi to them. Later I did follow their NFL careers and Earl finished his career back in Houston with the Oilers.  Trivia - Elmo was the 1st to do an end zone dance and started the high stepping to the end zone.

Over the years I have thought of them both, being my introduction to black guys and wish I had made more of an effort to become friends. I know it's hard to believe but I was really shy back then and did my best to avoid attention and stay out of trouble. Funny thing I still can see vividly the classroom, the elderly professor whose husband was also a professor, the view of the reflection pool and yet don't remember what the class was.

So anyway, RIP Mr. Earl Thomas for a life well lived and for the positive impact you had on a skinny white guy. He was 12 days older than me and died here in Houston, home of the largest medical center in the world.

• Like 1

I went to the local deli to get food for a picnic. Waiting in line at the counter I watch two women in the kitchen preparing slaw. One without a mask, yelling across the kitchen at someone over the bowl of slaw. She then rubs her nose and grabs the mixing spoon. Sees me, pulls up her mask and asks if she can help me. 

"First, wash your hands, I saw you touch your face and rub your nose." She begins to argue with me telling me she didn't. I proceeded to tell her all that I witnessed, and she again starts to argue with me telling me she didn't. Don't worry, I'm leaving and won't be shopping there again. I stopped at the managers desk and as I started telling him what I witnessed, he says, "this story is going to keep getting worse isn't it." Yup.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, dyslexic dog said:

Yeah, I guess I should have just walked out and not said anything to the next person in charge cause the first one was such an idiot. Let everyone else deal with it because no one said anything. Karen my ass. 

We are very reluctant to get takeout for exactly what you experienced. Some weeks ago our favorite spot had to close from the virus.  I think you did the right thing and letting them know you won't be back might make a difference and save someone's life.

1 hour ago, d'ranger said:

We are very reluctant to get takeout for exactly what you experienced. Some weeks ago our favorite spot had to close from the virus.  I think you did the right thing and letting them know you won't be back might make a difference and save someone's life.

At the very least, his own.....

2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Yeah, we cook at home. No restaurants even open air, and no takeout for obvious reasons. Too soon......not enough precautions in the industry. No thanks. We’ll wait.

8 hours ago, dyslexic dog said:

Yeah, I guess I should have just walked out and not said anything to the next person in charge cause the first one was such an idiot. Let everyone else deal with it because no one said anything. Karen my ass. 

You did do the right thing, and you are just getting a typical SA type ribbing for it.

• Like 3

The real key elements are 1) case rate per 100K (esp if you take in the context of daily testing) 2) hospitalizations and the change in daily hospitalizations (changer ate), and 3) the subset of hospitalizations in ICU. Those tell a more accurate picture.

We are not anywhere near done with this yet......so of course, let’s open up the state........sheesh.

11 hours ago, Point Break said:

The real key elements are 1) case rate per 100K (esp if you take in the context of daily testing) 2) hospitalizations and the change in daily hospitalizations (changer ate), and 3) the subset of hospitalizations in ICU. Those tell a more accurate picture.

We are not anywhere near done with this yet......so of course, let’s open up the state........sheesh.

Quit your whining, you got your immunity.........

• Downvote 1
12 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Quit your whining, you got your immunity.........

Oh I wish........immunity post COVID is still not sorted out. Increasingly mild to moderate cases are showing either no antibodies or antibodies that disappear in a few months. What that means is unclear. The Docs all say don’t count on it.

sigh...........

• Like 2

Bahamas has only allowed entrance with mandatory 14 day quarantine once clearing immigration screening, they have been essentially shutdown since March, there are several dozen cruise ships on the hook off their shores 

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

people are still on cruiseships? 

Nope... just the skeleton crew.. ships are stacked up like cord wood waiting it out on the hook 

2 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

Nope... just the skeleton crew.. ships are stacked up like cord wood waiting it out on the hook 

So I could charter one for myself?

Would make for a nice remote office for a week.  Wouldn’t go anywhere since the fuel bill may be more than my $200 per week rental fee would cover.  

52 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

As a young kid I remember seeing all the WW2 ships mothballed off San Pedro. Quite a sight to stick in my memory all this time.

Just watched Paciffic war in color..  For some reason, I never really watched much about the pacific besides the obvious 50'6 and 60's movies.  The sheer volume of ships that was required to Island Hop was staggering... 

47 minutes ago, mathystuff said:

Cruise lines are starting back up in europe. Half the normal visitors and staying at sea for the whole trip.

So what's the point??  Fly to the EU to sit in a petri dish with 1000+ other petri dish sitters watching the world go by without caring about local traditions and for lack of anything else the fucking locals...  Perfect for most Americans nowadays.  They can say they went there without all the bother of actually getting off the ship and experiencing something new.  

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, shaggy said:

So what's the point??  Fly to the EU to sit in a petri dish with 1000+ other petri dish sitters watching the world go by without caring about local traditions and for lack of anything else the fucking locals...  Perfect for most Americans nowadays.  They can say they went there without all the bother of actually getting off the ship and experiencing something new.  

But I can say that I'm a seasoned world travelling sailor to all my "friends" who will listen.

Then, and only then will I have the requisite skills to post on SA with confidence.

Suck it, you posers.  I've been around the world on a boat!

41 minutes ago, shaggy said:

No doubt.  But they have to get on and off of the ship in Europe to cruise and since Americans aren't allowed to enter EU countries at all, the point is moot. 

Which is wonderful, it's nice to live here without a bunch of ignorant tourists fucking everything up.  I hope it stays this way for some time.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Apparently Americans can't get there from here - not allowed into the EU.

OK point taken,. swap Americans with whatever ugly tourist nation floats your boat...  

On 7/29/2020 at 9:48 AM, mathystuff said:

Cruise lines are starting back up in europe. Half the normal visitors and staying at sea for the whole trip.

I get ads for cruises on FB on occasion. I looked at one out of curiosity for October. It was something like 21 days from Seattle to Tokyo (might be some sporty weather in there as a bonus). Ridiculously cheap something like US$1100 for cheapest cabin including a lot of things like internet, upgraded restaurants, gratuities that are normally options. I think they are desperate to get started when you think about the billions of dollars of physical plant they have.

2 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

I get ads for cruises on FB on occasion. I looked at one out of curiosity for October. It was something like 21 days from Seattle to Tokyo (might be some sporty weather in there as a bonus). Ridiculously cheap something like US$1100 for cheapest cabin including a lot of things like internet, upgraded restaurants, gratuities that are normally options. I think they are desperate to get started when you think about the billions of dollars of physical plant they have.

Yes, but wouldn't 1/2 of all activities and restaurants be closed? 

6 hours ago, Windward said:

Yes, but wouldn't 1/2 of all activities and restaurants be closed? 

I would not expect the restaurants to be closed but free activities may be curtailed. Why don't you take the cruise and report back.

Sturgis SD had a total of 82 covid cases, today is the start of the bike rally expected to bring 250,000 from all over the country. Last year the town got $26 million in tax revenue.  Now, with all that what could possibly go wrong one might ask?  This is a picture from yesterday

sturgis-2-gty-ps-200807_1596806686838_hp

Sturgis SD had a total of 82 covid cases, today is the start of the bike rally expected to bring 250,000 from all over the country. Last year the town got $26 million in tax revenue.  Now, with all that what could possibly go wrong one might ask?  This is a picture from yesterday

I guess they didn't read this article............

For months, Pavelec took the risks of contracting coronavirus seriously – staying at home, for the most part, and wearing a mask when she ran errands.

But then she started letting her guard down a bit, her daughter said.

Pavelec posted a video and photos on Facebook of the June 12 birthday gathering at Tumbleweeds in Huntington Beach. This was an interlude when Gov. Gavin Newsom briefly allowed restaurants to reopen for indoor dining at reduced capacity.

In the images, Pavelec and her friends enjoy the night –  dancing, arms draped over one another’s shoulders, no face masks.

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/08/03/social-butterfly-vera-pavelec-one-of-four-pals-testing-positive-after-huntington-beach-party-dies-of-covid/

I'm sure it's just my bad eyes and incapable perception, but many of those folks look photoshopped into that picture.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, bplipschitz said:
3 hours ago, d'ranger said:

I'm sure it's just my bad eyes and incapable perception, but many of those folks look photoshopped into that picture.

Welle, ist kinda licke baseballe, you coude, foire a modeste fee, gette a cardeboarde cuttoute of you made up foire the officialle photose.                                         :)

• Like 1

Shopped or not, 250,000 people in a small town is gonna look like that.

image.png.e25df2348a29adf63b19d4df8a9e8ba8.pngimage.png.598b3aaa249b6d944e7f0b7dbace2535.png

Going to that this year officially labels you "Too Stupid To Live"

11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Shopped or not, 250,000 people in a small town is gonna look like that.

image.png.e25df2348a29adf63b19d4df8a9e8ba8.pngimage.png.598b3aaa249b6d944e7f0b7dbace2535.png

Going to that this year officially labels you "Too Stupid To Live"

It's VERY similar to a certain presidential rally only with more people. I heard Sturgis officials are not checking visitor temperatures, either. Locals probably rent their houses for enough to live on for the next year. 

From CNN: "Whatever goes on in Sturgis doesn't stay in Sturgis. It travels home with you, whether it's coronavirus or a STD or a criminal record." 

Where does one park a Vespa if one should hypothetically ask for a friend who would be going?

Wanting to be safe from Covid and all that...

1 hour ago, Windward said:

Where does one park a Vespa if one should hypothetically ask for a friend who would be going?

Wanting to be safe from Covid and all that...

If you ride a Vespa to Sturgis, COVID is the least of your problems...  

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Point Break said:

If you ride a Vespa to Sturgis, COVID is the least of your problems...  

Hold up there you young whippersnapper!

The person I was referring to bought special short-shorts for the event.

• Like 1

Well fuck. It was inevitable.  New Zealand has community transmission again.

Bugger.

I did order washable masks a couple of days back for the family, just in case. should arrive in the post tomorrow.

I'm really worried about the whole "didn't come to much last time" attitude.  could be our undoing.

At least it isn't close to me.  yet.

Fuck.

1 hour ago, floating dutchman said:

Well fuck. It was inevitable.  New Zealand has community transmission again.

Bugger.

I did order washable masks a couple of days back for the family, just in case. should arrive in the post tomorrow.

I'm really worried about the whole "didn't come to much last time" attitude.  could be our undoing.

At least it isn't close to me.  yet.

Fuck.

There goes the travel bubble. As a Victorian, no way I'm going to New Zealand now.....

1 minute ago, Ease the sheet. said:

There goes the travel bubble. As a Victorian, no way I'm going to New Zealand now.....

As Victorian, there was no fucking way they were going to let you for the next ten years.

• Like 1

https://apnews.com/fcda62ad992db414d65f23b2adb78e44

Russia says they have a vaccine.   World skeptical.  

I'm betting you also get Marvel Comics super powers from some radioactive/gamma/fancy injections.  The world will now see 1000's of superheros and villains.