I am over the hypola of COVID 19.....other than not having a prophylactic vaccine it seems it is not much more serious than the typical seasonal flu, sure it sucks to have it and some people die, usually the same at risk demographic . The tale will be told in the southern hemisphere in the coming months and in our next fall and winter, Vaccine vs Mutation     

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi ya'll. Well this is a son of a bitch. I've weathered a lot of shit and discomfort in my life but this is a MF.....and I would classify my case as moderate. I can't imagine those who become critical

Well...............after two pretty shitty days....not as shitty as the first round mind you, but still pretty shitty.....with the exact same symptoms but less intense, today I feel better. Not 100% b

To help with any confusion from the update today. The Rules: 1. Basically, you can't leave the house for any reason, but if you have to, then you can. 2. Masks are useless, but maybe yo

Posted Images

RE this Toilet paper crisis.

My family has eyeballed my shop rag collection in the garage as emergency supplies.

What is next?  Is nothing sacred!

38 minutes ago, Windward said:

RE this Toilet paper crisis.

My family has eyeballed my shop rag collection in the garage as emergency supplies.

What is next?  Is nothing sacred!

I'm planning to start pooping outside near the garden hose to save some steps. Glad it's not winter.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, weightless said:

Excellent video. Too bad so very few people in politics or media will understand any of that. And all the rubes reject science and facts anyway.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, hobot said:

Thanks for doing your part COVID-19!

OPEC Deal collapse Sparks price war:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/08/opec-deal-collapse-sparks-price-war-20-oil-in-2020-is-coming.html

That will be good for filling up our pickups, Suburbans, and boats. 

Just hope that a global slowdown from Covid 19 (LA/Long Beach ports currently reporting -25% +/- ship arrivals, with corresponding decrease in containers for exports 

( https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-03-07/la-fi-coronavirus-ports-california-economy)) doesn't combine with tensions in Middle East, Russia, etc. from decreased oil revenue/market share sparking something worse.  Things may have already got a bit testy in Saudi Arabia with reports of more "detentions" of rival royals. 

Yeah there is no doubt that COVID-19 will have a significant effect on global economy.  It already is. Unknown is will it just be recessionary or trigger a wider depression.  We're overdue for a recession and with central banks already lowering already low rates it's going to take other fiscal measures to counter the effect.

Problem there is that many western countries are still in relatively poor fiscal state post GFC so this could exacerbate the problem.  Will be interesting to see how governments react. Ours is already on to it to some extent but what we do will pale into insignificance compared to what the US, EU, China, Japan and Russia do. 

<purple font>It's so reassuring we have a US President that has such a high level of understanding of global economics</purple font>

I know, take it to PA :blink:

If you have 20 minutes to spend, a good balanced summary here; non other than from John Oliver...

And as said by the guy in the video posted by Weightless, on post 606 above:

"The thing we should fear the most is, lack of fear itself" !!!

To some extent (IMHO)...

If people are careless, they propagate the virus faster. But if it is shear panic across society, we will all become selfish and make things worse overall.

The connection between the virus and the economy is mostly due to the hysteria whipped up by the media around this slightly nastier than usual virus.  No, I wouldn't want to own airline or cruise ship stocks at the moment, but unless I am missing something what we have here is a lot of groundless fear, unless you are in the over 60 age bracket or immunocompromised.  

Fear is driving the markets down at the moment.   That will have a much bigger impact on the economy than the actual impact on supply lines and commerce caused by the virus.  If there is some positive news, such as a reduction in new cases reported in China over several days, we could see the markets rocket back up.  

Let's hope there is some positive news.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

unless I am missing something

I think you are.

9 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

Indeed. Meanwhile there's this kind of thing:

The restrictions affect Milan and the regions that serve as Italy’s economic engine, and are the most sweeping measures outside China.

39 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

The connection between the virus and the economy is mostly due to the hysteria whipped up by the media around this slightly nastier than usual virus.  No, I wouldn't want to own airline or cruise ship stocks at the moment, but unless I am missing something what we have here is a lot of groundless fear, unless you are in the over 60 age bracket or immunocompromised.  

Fear is driving the markets down at the moment.   That will have a much bigger impact on the economy than the actual impact on supply lines and commerce caused by the virus.  If there is some positive news, such as a reduction in new cases reported in China over several days, we could see the markets rocket back up.  

Not much positive news in 1st hour of trading on Australian share market this morning with market down 5% on top of 10% drop during last week. Materials stocks down 5.8% and Energy down 17.1% on back of WTI Crude dropping 21%!!! Fark!!! Seems my post #610 wasn't far off the mark.  Knew I should've started selling down/rebalancing 2 weeks ago. One big fund manager here in Oz did make that call and followed through 3 weeks ago.

Edit: Just checked CL1:COM chart and saw it was at USD63.27 on 6 January, now trading at USD32.56. That's almost a 50% drop in 2 months!!!!

18 minutes ago, albanyguy said:

Not much positive news in 1st hour of trading on Australian share market this morning with market down 5% on top of 10% drop during last week. Materials stocks down 5.8% and Energy down 17.1% on back of WTI Crude dropping 21%!!! Fark!!! Seems my post #610 wasn't far off the mark.  Knew I should've started selling down/rebalancing 2 weeks ago. One big fund manager here in Oz did make that call and followed through 3 weeks ago.

Edit: Just checked CL1:COM chart and saw it was at USD63.27 on 6 January, now trading at USD32.56. That's almost a 50% drop in 2 months!!!!

damn

1 hour ago, Rain Man said:

I'm sorry, but how can you consider this anything but propaganda ?

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/1873119/wuhan-residents-decry-fake-work-as-chinese-official-tours-city

2 hours ago, Rain Man said:

Fear is driving the markets down at the moment.

The professional term for fear is uncertainty. It is a somewhat broader concept than fear. It also somewhat more measurable and computable. Future corporate profits, mainly. Second is China taking a another hit. First it was the little tariff spat, then the virus in Wuhan, now the virus possibly triggering the long awaited recession in the rest of the world.

Today it would seem to be opportunists in Russia that think they might have a chance to do some real damage to Saudi Arabia and US shale. Both show some signs of being near the edge of financial catastrophe. Remember Russia is more aligned with Iran.

SARS lasted 9 months from November 2002 to July 2003.  Assuming this one is similar it will be probably September before we see the end of it.  On the other hand, people are being very stupid about their response to this, not doing the things they should do, like self-isolating with any flu-like symptoms, and continuing to do things they shouldn't, like buying face masks.  It could go longer as a result. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Rain Man said:

SARS lasted 9 months from November 2002 to July 2003.  Assuming this one is similar it will be probably September before we see the end of it.  On the other hand, people are being very stupid about their response to this, not doing the things they should do, like self-isolating with any flu-like symptoms, and continuing to do things they shouldn't, like buying face masks.  It could go longer as a result. 

I don't have any wise epidemiological insights other than that I remember vividly the SARS summer in Toronto. I'm thinking we lost 27(?)edit  it was actually 44... I remember it vividly because I had to bring my Mom for eye surgery(twice) and no way you could accompany anyone into the hospital it was a complete quarantine. No chance. This was obviously a little disconcerting to drop my elderly mom and not be able to accompany her etc. 

Midway through the summer, the hardest hit city(big smoke) rebounded with appropriate rock n roll attitude and furnished a 750K plus attendance concert w Stones and Ac/Dc headlining(check SARS concert). Everything kind of worked out in the end...

13 hours ago, El Boracho said:
15 hours ago, Rain Man said:

Fear is driving the markets down at the moment.

The professional term for fear is uncertainty.

Fear drives many things and, when it's economically related, has always caused the markets to fall.  My SO sits on a pension board and has for over a year been advising the other members they need to move some money out of stocks.  This stemmed from fear the market was overly inflated.  But confidence in the market by the majority of the members prevented this from happening. 

The fear the market was close to taking a hit was probably felt by many.  The virus just got people off the fence.  A correction was bound to happen.  But now that's been exacerbated by the virus which may bring is down by as much as it was inflated before balancing out again.

Until we have tests available for anyone who needs it and have amassed all the data necessary to properly evaluate the impact of COVID-19, fear will probably keep driving us to make what could ultimately be seen as irrational decisions.  Or not.  We won't know until we have the medical data and scientific analysis of that data.

On another note...

We had a boat renaming party Saturday night.  All but a few were 60 or older.  I wondered how the greetings would go.

I greeted all our guests as they arrived with, "Everybody gets leid tonight!" as I handed them a lei.  

But the warnings about person-to-person contact were immediately evident.  Even our closest friends, with whom we always share a hug, did the elbow-to-elbow or the "Wuhan greeting" where you tap together the feet.  

The party was fairly raucous, for a bunch of old farts.  No doubt the numerous toasts during the renaming ceremony and the rum bar afterward, which only had shot glasses, contributed.  But as guests were leaving, there was less apprehension about personal contact.  

Who needs Purell when you have good rum?

38 minutes ago, Jules said:

Fear drives many things and, when it's economically related, has always caused the markets to fall.  My SO sits on a pension board and has for over a year been advising the other members they need to move some money out of stocks.  This stemmed from fear the market was overly inflated.  But confidence in the market by the majority of the members prevented this from happening. 

The fear the market was close to taking a hit was probably felt by many.  The virus just got people off the fence.  A correction was bound to happen.  But now that's been exacerbated by the virus which may bring is down by as much as it was inflated before balancing out again.

Until we have tests available for anyone who needs it and have amassed all the data necessary to properly evaluate the impact of COVID-19, fear will probably keep driving us to make what could ultimately be seen as irrational decisions.  Or not.  We won't know until we have the medical data and scientific analysis of that data.

It’s the lack of test kits that freak me out.   We’ll find out by friday how the latest promise of “...nearly 2 mill kits will ship.” pans out.

This area has a LOT of Asian travelers and until we sort out who’s carrying or not I’m on the down low.   

2 minutes ago, bplipschitz said:

Here's your elbow bump:

Madeline Kahn was a comedic genius. 

The whole scene was brilliant but she absolutely nailed it by dodging the blown kiss.

8 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-09/amid-coronavirus-fears-restaurant-takes-temperatures-before-letting-patrons-dine

Well, not asking a lot but, still, this could back life up a bit if this becomes norm.

In other news:  Saudi oil price cut 30%.

Oral or. . .?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, IStream said:

On account of, you know, liking the numbers where they are?

I don't know. Here they have tested 17 people (2 positive). If the reporting is accurate tests were only allowed after significant lobbying by the patient's doctors. The state says they have tests and labs available. They are not testing widely, have not announced plans to do so and have such high criteria that as of this morning they say they don't have any patients who qualify for testing. What they seem to be saying is they have the tests but they don't intend to use them.

On 3/8/2020 at 9:48 AM, BravoBravo said:

I am over the hypola of COVID 19.....other than not having a prophylactic vaccine it seems it is not much more serious than the typical seasonal flu, sure it sucks to have it and some people die, usually the same at risk demographic . The tale will be told in the southern hemisphere in the coming months and in our next fall and winter, Vaccine vs Mutation     

People vote with their money.  People who have money have cast their votes.

You and the little don are probably way more intelligent than any expert.

Just now, hasher said:

People vote with their money.  People who have money have cast their votes.

You and the little don are probably way more intelligent than any expert.

you are correct on all counts !

1 minute ago, BravoBravo said:

you are correct on all counts !

Humility looks good on you, you fricking stable genius you!

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, weightless said:

I'm concerned that there is a lack of will to use them, too.

Hell, it's not the lack of will to use them, it's the absolute corruption of the Prez Team stating to NOT use them.

40 minutes ago, IStream said:

On account of, you know, liking the numbers where they are?

I volunteer at a homeless shelter.  Their hygiene may not be the best.  Their health is clearly not going to win awards.

On the other hand, my friends travel a lot.  They interact with the world in a broader way.

I think I will tuck myself away among the homeless until this runs its course.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Hell, it's not the lack of will to use them, it's the absolute corruption of the Prez Team stating to NOT use them.

By the force of will we can defeat this.

Logic be damned to that dustbin of history where it belongs.

Heil...

55 minutes ago, weightless said:

I don't know. Here they have tested 17 people (2 positive). If the reporting is accurate tests were only allowed after significant lobbying by the patient's doctors. The state says they have tests and labs available. They are not testing widely, have not announced plans to do so and have such high criteria that as of this morning they say they don't have any patients who qualify for testing. What they seem to be saying is they have the tests but they don't intend to use them.

Yeah, Stanford and the University of Washington have both said "fuck that" and developed their own PCR tests. The UW offers same-day turnaround and is making it available to local hospitals outside the UW system. They said they've performed more than 300 tests so far and have the capacity to run more than than they're currently being asked to do. 

https://testguide.labmed.uw.edu/public/view/NCVQLT?tabs=no

17 minutes ago, IStream said:

Yeah, Stanford and the University of Washington have both said "fuck that" and developed their own PCR tests. The UW offers same-day turnaround and is making it available to local hospitals outside the UW system. They said they've performed more than 300 tests so far and have the capacity to run more than than they're currently being asked to do. 

https://testguide.labmed.uw.edu/public/view/NCVQLT?tabs=no

A+ for getting it done.  

Though any testing needs to have some measure of credibility.

Coming soon to a strip mall near you:

One Hour Photo developing and COVID tests done here!  

4 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

buy a japanese bidet toilet and squirt that a-hole clean..

I take showers... does that make all of me an A-Hole?

Don't answer that...

On 3/8/2020 at 2:35 PM, BayRacer said:

That will be good for filling up our pickups, Suburbans, and boats. 

Just hope that a global slowdown from Covid 19 (LA/Long Beach ports currently reporting -25% +/- ship arrivals, with corresponding decrease in containers for exports 

( https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-03-07/la-fi-coronavirus-ports-california-economy)) doesn't combine with tensions in Middle East, Russia, etc. from decreased oil revenue/market share sparking something worse.  Things may have already got a bit testy in Saudi Arabia with reports of more "detentions" of rival royals. 

this deserves it's own thread, but i'm not stepping into that cesspool of PA..   there's more to this then , oh we get cheap gas,   the banking industry is heavily leaveraged on the oil industry and if the oil industry collapses, so goes all the financial markets, if it costs more to extract a barrel of oil than to sell it,  the whole world will fall into a major recession with financial institutions collapsing all over the world ,  of course our government will want to shore up the banks and keep the billionairs happy, we need to prevent that and let them fail.  of course with orange ball in charge this will be his downfall and we end up Biden in charge,  hope he picks a decent vp..    of course the powers that be may decide on the old fashion way of driving crude prices up,  time to start another war ! will it be Iran?     where's JBSF when you need him...  probably planning attack vectors on Iranian oil terminals.

1 hour ago, Windward said:

I take showers... does that make all of me an A-Hole?

Don't answer that...

not calling you an a-hole,  sorry if it came across that way,   just thinking how much a toilet with a water jet and puffs of warm air cost...   if you use leaves, dbl check to make sure that it isn't poison ivy..

23 hours ago, albanyguy said:

<purple font>It's so reassuring we have a US President that has such a high level of understanding of global economics</purple font>

I know, take it to PA :blink:

unfortunately, there isn't a single politician running, that has that understanding..  fortunately i cashed out a majority of my stocks in early Jan..   and lost a very decent chance at getting a job when BOA pulled all job requisitions the day of my interview with a VP because of coronavirus fears..

2 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

not calling you an a-hole,  sorry if it came across that way,   just thinking how much a toilet with a water jet and puffs of warm air cost...   if you use leaves, dbl check to make sure that it isn't poison ivy..

Ha ha... no.   All good.

Full body bidet's probably help with the COVID anyway.  Best with friends of your choosing.

Yes on the poison ivy.   And leeches... ick.   We watched Stand By Me last night.   

we are facing some serious shit...   major financial ruin, countries without any money to fight the virus, just because some dickheads russian and saudi prince dictators are having a spat.. a couple of strategically placed cruise missiles in the middle of their refineries will take care of that.

19 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

this deserves it's own thread, but i'm not stepping into that cesspool of PA..   there's more to this then , oh we get cheap gas,   the banking industry is heavily leaveraged on the oil industry and if the oil industry collapses, so goes all the financial markets, if it costs more to extract a barrel of oil than to sell it,  the whole world will fall into a major recession with financial institutions collapsing all over the world ,  of course our government will want to shore up the banks and keep the billionairs happy, we need to prevent that and let them fail.  of course with orange ball in charge this will be his downfall and we end up Biden in charge,  hope he picks a decent vp..    of course the powers that be may decide on the old fashion way of driving crude prices up,  time to start another war ! will it be Iran?     where's JBSF when you need him...  probably planning attack vectors on Iranian oil terminals.

I was being a bit facetious about the low fuel prices.....  forgot the purple font, I guess.  I am not playing in PA, either.  I am a bit concerned that with the virus dampened global economy and now a drop in revenue for countries that depend on oil and little of anything else, somebody might get a twitchy finger over there.  Or one of the non-state troublemakers think they can take advantage of a bad situation and make things worse.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

we are facing some serious shit...   major financial ruin, countries without any money to fight the virus, just because some dickheads russian and saudi prince dictators are having a spat.. a couple of strategically placed cruise missiles in the middle of their refineries will take care of that.

Cats and dogs, living together'...  Total Chaos..

• Like 2

I am hopeful but not optimistic that this corona virus thing will help people focus on what's really important in life, and not just money.  But the world decided that money isn't everything, it''s the only thing, a long time ago.  Dumb fucks.  I hope that oil prices crash, the markets crash, and the world has another major depression.  Maybe that will help people focus.

The virus has a......97% cure rate.....and that will likely improve once we get a better handle on how many unreported folks had/have the virus. I’m avoiding huge social settings not because I think I’ll die - even though I’m in the higher risk age bracket - but for the same reason I get a flu shot every year, and wash my hands and avoid sick people.......who the hell wants to spend a week or more feeling awful and throwing up out your butt and mouth? My greater fear which has me avoiding international travel, large social gatherings etc is that some public health policy will wind up sticking me in quarantine for weeks because somebody has a fever. That is an especially unpleasant prospect in some country with a less robust health care system or more stringent public health policy. Eventually most of the globe will have had and survived it just fine. Eventually there will be an immunization of as yet undetermined efficacy. 

This too shall pass and reasonable precautions are appropriate but it’s important to keep it in perspective. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Point Break said:

and don't let others use you computer mouse :o...and what about all those touch screen kiosks at airports and such . Not scientific but I had sinus surgery 5 years ago, should have had it 30 years ago but that is a different matter. Anyway I used a Neil-Med nasal irrigation daily and have only had one URI in that period , and that was probably from my wife hacking in my face all night.

6 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

in other good news Cruz and Gaetz have self quarantied,  and Gaetz rode with Trump in a limo and Air1 after he was exposed to a potential carrier..

Oh if only.........

30 minutes ago, weightless said:

For perspective:

"World War II was the deadliest military conflict in history. An estimated total of 70–85 million people perished, which was about 3% of the 1940 world population (est. 2.3 billion).[1]"

As you say. For perspective. In the outbreak in Wuhan, less than 100,000 out of a population of 8M were diagnosed with the virus. 3% of those died, not 3% of the population. As we lower the criteria for diagnosis/test more people, expect the denominator to go up and the death rate of those infected to go down. 

Not to say it’s not serious. We held a meeting of all company officers today and implemented a mission essential travel only policy and it takes affirmative approval by a division VP to authorize travel. If folks go on personal travel to a high risk area, mandatory 2 week stay out of work on return. (Most folks have security clearances so we track all overseas travel). Bringing on additional cleaning staff to ramp up cleaning of public spaces.  Reinforced “stay home if you are sick.”  Expanding telework where possible (can’t do that for blue collar techs and floor engineers).  Put known staff with compromised systems (Chemo, etc) on telework. 

Really concerned about what happens when we have an employee get sick or diagnosed. With additional testing, we expect that to be confirmed with a positive test result. Don’t know if we will have to shut down/ decontaminate/ isolate most employees.  Local Health Department is still in a reaction mode so looking for their help/guidance. Discussed extending/advancing additional sick leave as we already provide 40 hours/week that rolls over to a max of 320. Holding off on that for now. We are a small business with low margins so the cost of that could pretty quickly make this year a major loss year. (On a really good year, we make 6-8% PBITA, most of which goes to employees through profit sharing so there isn’t a lot of “rich company” money). 

32 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

In the outbreak in Wuhan, less than 100,000 out of a population of 8M were diagnosed with the virus. 3% of those died...

Are you sure? I do take your point but I'm not sure about your numbers. As of the current reporting Hubei has had 67743 confirmed cases and 3007 deaths (4.4% case fatality). Both cases and deaths are still rising. There are many confounding factors.  Diamond Princess  deaths plus serious and critical cases is over 1%.

7 minutes ago, weightless said:

Are you sure? I do take your point but I'm not sure about your numbers. As of the current reporting Hubei has had 67743 confirmed cases and 3007 deaths (4.4% case fatality). Both cases and deaths are still rising. There are many confounding factors.  Diamond Princess  deaths plus serious and critical cases is over 1%.

Simply can not trust anything the Chinese say...

1 minute ago, NeedAClew said:

Apple says you can clean your products with Clorox wipes. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204172

a .99 cent spray bottle from the dollar store and a cap full of generic bleach and you are good to go....

Is the the end of the J 24 class? one can only hope so.

https://sailinganarchy.com/2020/03/09/the-start-of-the-shutdown/

When will the boat originally designed for a family of 4 die off?

The J 24 is a  horrible boat unless the cockpit is reworked. I actually thought about buying one  because they are so cheap and so many nobodies are buying them.. But  you have to buy one that has been set up to the dip shit class rules. Kind of like the J 35 class rules. Why are J class rules so fucked up? Oh, that is  whole nother question.

The Johnstone brothers are wealthy by selling boats that do not make sense.....................that is capitalism.

1 hour ago, BravoBravo said:

a .99 cent spray bottle from the dollar store and a cap full of generic bleach and you are good to go....

Clorox Wipes do not contain generic bleach. More like disinfectant soap. Nobody with common sense would use a wipe with even diluted bleach. In a spray bottle is even worse.

Wiping a computer down with any dilution of a chlorine bleach could be a disaster. Especially an aluminum Apple product.

14 minutes ago, El Boracho said:

Clorox Wipes do not contain generic bleach. More like disinfectant soap. Nobody with common sense would use a wipe with even diluted bleach. In a spray bottle is even worse.

Wiping a computer down with any dilution of a chlorine bleach could be a disaster. Especially an aluminum Apple product.

Lol you are a fool.... diluted bleach has no lasting affects on glass and aluminum other than killing viruses and microbes 

27 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

Lol you are a fool.... diluted bleach has no lasting affects on glass and aluminum other than killing viruses and microbes 

...plus Apple says "Do not use bleach." Chlorine bleach, even diluted as you suggested, definitely has lasting and destructive effects on aluminum and many other products used in phones. Give it a try on an aluminum pan, fool.

You may use 70% Isopropyl Alcohol in your spray bottle, some say. At least it won't dissolve your already thin skin or destroy your trashy garments. However a spray bottle could easily deposit too much liquid onto and into the device, unlike a wipe.

Lol you fuckwit.

4 minutes ago, El Boracho said:

...plus Apple says "Do not use bleach." Chlorine bleach, even diluted as you suggested, definitely has lasting and destructive effects on aluminum and many other products used in phones. Give it a try on an aluminum pan, fool.

You may use 70% Isopropyl Alcohol in your spray bottle, some say. At least it won't dissolve your already thin skin or destroy your trashy garments. However a spray bottle could easily deposit too much liquid onto and into the device, unlike a wipe.

Lol you fuckwit.

I've used 70% isopropyl in my armpits instead of deorderant since late 60's...multiple times a day...big wet splashes right out of the bottle...not problems !....if I followed every disclaimer I would get of of bed..diluted bleach in water on glass and aluminum  has NO practical affects....lemming

36 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

I've used 70% isopropyl in my armpits instead of deorderant since late 60's...multiple times a day...big wet splashes right out of the bottle...not problems !....if I followed every disclaimer I would get of of bed..diluted bleach in water on glass and aluminum  has NO practical affects....lemming

I just took a moment out from making lasagna for the Bride to run a test for ya. Here is 1:24 bleach/water on aluminum foil for just one minute. That is something like a capful in a 12oz sprayer. Looks like it effectively affects the aluminum. Also, my finger feels funny. Like I shouldn't have dipped it in the solution. No telling what bleach might do to the special oil-resistant coatings on the "glass" of a screen. Good enough for me that Apple says "No." 

Please go drink bleach

7F8832CF-CD97-49D7-93D1-EE0C475675DC.jpeg

Chlorine bleach is extremely corrosive to steel too, even when diluted. If you don't dilute it, even just the fumes from a standard 5% solution in the bottle will cause heavy corrosion.

It is in the pool.  My goggles seem ok.

Not that much metal around, but it doesn't seem to rust any faster than I would expect from such a humid environment.

Aluminum seems to fair about as well as it does at the beach.  Diving board bits.

My fillings seem unaffected.

***  Edit ***    Is this why all the hair fell off my head over the years?  Ah ha!

From the WHO Joint Mission to Wuhan:
"In China, the overall CFR was higher in the early stages of the outbreak (17.3% for cases with symptom onset from 1-10 January) and has reduced over time to 0.7% for patients with symptom onset after 1 February (Figure 4). The Joint Mission noted that the standard of care has evolved over the course of the outbreak."

In other words, as health care workers learn about the progression of the illness, they get better at dealing with it. Same thing happened with SARS. So, both the infection rate and death rate are expected to drop.  I think we are seeing that already. 

From gcaptain:  https://gcaptain.com/port-of-rotterdam-ceo-sees-slight-recovery-in-china-volumes/

Still lots of room for pessimism for the markets, because we may yet see some other countries experience what Italy has experienced.  But it won't last forever.

2 hours ago, Raz'r said:

No, but if they are damp, the steam does

Been recommended for sterilising  baby bottles and teets forever. 

two minutes on high with  1" of water in each.

OK this is from the University of Florida

https://news.ufl.edu/archive/2007/01/researchers-microwave-oven-can-sterilize-sponges-scrub-pads.html

17 hours ago, weightless said:

They are not testing widely, have not announced plans to do so and have such high criteria that as of this morning they say they don't have any patients who qualify for testing. What they seem to be saying is they have the tests but they don't intend to use them.

It may just be they are afraid of the panic it would cause if they used them and made public the results.

Considering the rapidity with which this virus spreads, we probably have to assume thousands in this country have come into contact with the virus. 

We have not built up an immunity yet.  We have no idea how many are infected, how many are carriers, what the real numbers are as to mortality, infection, etc.  We have to be ready for anything.