Monkey Butler

Topping Lift - or You'll Put Your Eye Out

Catalina Capri 22

Okay for those of you still here. I'm trying to sort out a topping lift.

The standard boom topping lift as supplied is a wire nico-pressed onto the backstay, with a snap hook on the end that you clip the end of the boom onto before lowering the main.

Unfortunately the snap hook went missing at some point and the PO replaced it with a simple loop in the wire formed with a nico-press.

and this at the end of the boom

b1.jpg.45dad238604056071c7d6bf36446d03b.jpg

controlled by this home center sheave block at the mast end (note neatly labeled jam cleat) ...

b2.jpg.7b340508f783aa1ef138653c172d0b80.jpg

Now my question(s). Considering the boat, is there any reason I'd want to control the topping lift from the mast end of the boom? I'm ditching the zinc plated hardware no matter but I don't see a topping lift addresed here.

boomchuckalucka.thumb.JPG.621a3a0c0727ec813419997b9849e000.JPG

There's a school of thought that the topping lift can live on the end of the boom while sailing if it can be eased.

Similarly that the topping lift should be used to support the boom while tucking or shaking a reef.

It's just wrong. You probably want to swap out the wire for dynema or spectra and ditch all the hardware.

• Like 1

The topping lift should be able to be adjusted while the boom is athwartship, such as when hove to.

I think...

26 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

The topping lift should be able to be adjusted while the boom is athwartship, such as when hove to.

I think...

You just shattered my illusion of hoved to. Isn't it sort of a close reach with the jib backed?

I've never pulled it of in any of my ill handling boats so I'm kinda like describing anal here.

43 minutes ago, Moonduster said:

There's a school of thought that the topping lift can live on the end of the boom while sailing if it can be eased.

Thank You, now I understand why it would need to be eased in the first place. Now, in this day and age of all lines lead to cockpit, why have topping lift adjust at mast?

Similarly that the topping lift should be used to support the boom while tucking or shaking a reef.

I need to research this. the main nas one reef point but no reefing on boom. In fact the eye poker outer topping lift hook takes up one reef sheave.

It's just wrong. You probably want to swap out the wire for dynema or spectra and ditch all the hardware.

Yeah I need to replace the backstyay anyway so...

The "eye poker" has its place, when the boat is parked. ;)

In my old Mac25 I'd backwind the genoa, let the main flog and tie the tiller off to lee.

She'd calm right down, and I could casually drop or reef the main from the cockpit.

I guess the wire off the back stay counts as a topping lift, but it’s only meant to be used when the boat is either anchored or at the dock and you want to hoist the boom up out of the way of the cockpit.  No functionality when reefing or heaving to.  I can’t imagine why somebody would go to the bother of making the hook on the aft end of the boom adjustable. Strip off all the extra hardware and just attach a fixed length bit of line and a much smaller hook to the boom end.

JFC that's one sure hell of a way to discourage people from sailing with you that just want to drink your beer.  For a 22 foot boat all you really need is a 2mm piece of dyneeama and call it a day. 

• Like 1

Most boats round here have a permanent topping lift, from the mast, to the boom, through a small block, to the mast, down the mast  to the tie off point. Run really slack when sailig just tighten up when dropping or scandalizing  the sail, helps keep the sail under control when dropping it as well..

19 minutes ago, RImike said:

JFC that's one sure hell of a way to discourage people from sailing with you that just want to drink your beer.  For a 22 foot boat all you really need is a 2mm piece of dyneeama and call it a day. 

Simplicity work best. 2mm or 3mm piece of Dyneema is what you need. The second thing you need - go sailing!

11 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

The "eye poker" has its place, when the boat is parked. ;)

In my old Mac25 I'd backwind the genoa, let the main flog and tie the tiller off to lee.

She'd calm right down, and I could casually drop or reef the main from the cockpit.

A.) If that eye poker got some slack, there's about 3 feet available before the stopper knot, and I let the main flog... that suckers clearing the aft guard real quick. Setting up reefing was my next question  but I've found a manual online that matches my boom. There were several different configurations offered I guess. 

image.thumb.png.5a32dc644d22f841d5a61ddd270fb5a9.png

12 hours ago, Moonduster said:

You're right. Here's what I'm going to do since I have all the parts already onhand.

image.png.66332d469492bb884d47c6f32823dd43.png

18 minutes ago, Monkey Butler said:

that suckers clearing the aft guard real quick. 

I don't understand.

18 minutes ago, Monkey Butler said:

Here's what I'm going to do since I have all the parts already onhand.

I recommend turning the working end towards the mast with a cheek block or small block w/becket, cleating it off about mid-boom with a clamshell or V cleat.

This will allow you to adjust no matter where the boom is.

I went whole hog and routed the line back to the cabintop.

482440660_toppinglift.thumb.jpg.eb5e2d4cebb0457a757082a157e18d3d.jpg

I used to have a Capri 22 and the stock "topping lift" kit offered by Catalina was installed on the boat. I recall it was a vinyl coated wire led from the top of the mast to a block on the end of the boom, and led forward - cleated with a clam / jam type cleat or something on the forward part of the boom - seems to me a cam style cleat would be prone to popping out

3 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

I don't understand.

Imagine sail up and this is hanging off the end off the boom. You let the main sheet go and the boom starts whipping this around!

sna.thumb.jpg.45bbe48f60f80a850a618627ad72c28f.jpg

I recommend turning the working end towards the mast with a cheek block or small block w/becket, cleating it off about mid-boom with a clamshell or V cleat.

3 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

I don't understand.

Muy better. I also rethought about how it would feel pulling down on the topping lift to raise the boom with a single purchase. Leading it along the boom at a right angle solves that.

1 hour ago, Monkey Butler said:

let the main sheet go and the boom starts whipping this around!

Ah yes, not good! Thanks.

Its a capri 22, take it all off. Best ever, install a boomkicker, keeps boom level at teh dock, allows reefing, keeps weight off main in light air. 

Dont want to spend $259? then still take it all off, use the main halyard to hold up end of boom when parked, and when reefing drop the boom into the 'V' created by the companionway, take the outhaul to the higher clew and fasten tack, and rehoist. Its a 22ft Capri. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, crankcall said:

Its a capri 22, take it all off. Best ever, install a boomkicker, keeps boom level at teh dock, allows reefing, keeps weight off main in light air. 

Dont want to spend $259? then still take it all off, use the main halyard to hold up end of boom when parked, and when reefing drop the boom into the 'V' created by the companionway, take the outhaul to the higher clew and fasten tack, and rehoist. Its a 22ft Capri. 

I already asked, she said no to the boomkicker :-(

Weekends I tend to do a lot of stop at the dock drop the main, few crew off, go pee, couple new crew, get some ice, crew back on, hoist main, circle harbor, weeeeee.... I need to pee again, back to dock, drop main, crew off... you get the picture. I remember my O'Day Mariner had a leash that I replaced but I forget the exact setup.

Oh, the decal fell off, how else can I be sure it's a Capri?