What company is selling these?

58 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Looks like the Seadog style of package. They got a guy in China in a little room cranking them out. Any load rating on them?

I don't see anything like this on their website.

7 hours ago, Zonker said:

Looks like the Seadog style of package. They got a guy in China in a little room cranking them out. Any load rating on them?

I think it's Seachoice Zonk, right? Not Seadog... 

Here the seachoice catalog entry. 

They have managed to get pretty wide distribution of these - all the big box chains Walmart, Home depo, etc. plus ofc amazon.  Apparently aimed at the automotive market - for towing and recovery.

The knot looks a little odd in the photos - has anyone looked closely at one in person - is it a diamond, or is it something else?  How tight is the knot - rock hard or somewhat softer? I would guess, just from the photos it is not as tight as is optimal.

They have kept their 'rated' breaking strengths modest

seachoice.thumb.jpg.b647ae70299adeb40388f78e532598da.jpg

@George Hackett

If you live in some remote country you might as well order it direct from China yourself.

Aliexpress have a huge range available. Order just one each of the ones that look suitable, and then more of the one you like best.

https://m.aliexpress.com/wholesale/soft-shackle-yacht.html?searchType=mainSearch&keywords=soft-shackle-yacht&shadingAction=&channel=direct

If you are fussy, scroll down on the items for more options, or use different search terms.

btw, just out of curiosity I bought two sizes of these seachoice shackles. I guess not too surprisingly, the build quality is quite poor.  The smaller size, which is better, made fails at around 50% of line strength when a well-made one will go to around 150% (round numbers). They fail not by breaking at the knot (as a well made one does) but by the knot slipping and the tail end sucking into it and the knot coming untied. This means they are not pre-tensioned adequately - the knot on the smaller size is snug but not tight - my guess is that they run it up to about 500kgs. And I guess they use the same pretension jig with the same load for the bigger size because that knot is not even snug.

They are also stiff to operate - that is a shackle design choice - some people like them stiff.

The rated strengths are generally correct but you need a much bigger diameter to get a given strength than you would with properly made ones. The knot on the bigger one is 3.5" in diameter.

I would contact Trevor Harney, https://www.harneyyachtrigging.com/ 

He's made soft shackles for both of my boats, plus done other, exemplary, work for me and a bunch of my crew. 

No commercial tie, but he's a great guy who does great work at a fair price. If yo look at his project gallery, the stuff in the middle of the page was made for me.

• Like 4

I have no idea what the OP's purpose was in asking about the SeaChoice shackles . . . . I sort of suspect it was business related rather than wanting a soft shackle for his boat. 

Advanced issue found

21 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I would contact Trevor Harney, https://www.harneyyachtrigging.com/ 

Pretty work.

Do you know if he has break tested his own work? I am curious for instance about those whippings on the end to end splices - I could see them making a noticeable reduction in strength (I have personally tested and seen tests of tight stitching there, which have produced a significant reduction).

20 hours ago, jsaronson said:

Nautos sells them for a reasonable price.

For personal use, I honestly think any sailor should be able to whip up a soft shackle on their own.  Buying them seems to me a bit like paying someone to tie a bowline for you. They are not hard and there are good instructions available and it is quite handy to be able to make them custom lengths to fit specific applications, and if you DIY there are stronger and better designs than the ones normally sold commercially.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

You can also get a bunch of different ones at Amazon--just search for soft shackle.  I make my own so I can get them the right size--shorter is harder to make than long ones.