what's in a name?

Brian Hancock writes about things you never thought of.

busha.jpg

I was reading an update on the Cape to Rio race today. It seems like a boat named JM Busha 54 is surging and may well take handicap honors. JM Busha 54? What the heck kind of name is that anyway? ( it appears that this name, at least, is all about peace and unity, so they get a pass. – ed).

Boats, no let me rephrase that, yachts used to be so elegant with beautiful names. I am thinking of the Concordia yawl that was moored in Marblehead harbor for many years. The bright work always gleamed and the name, Cotton Blossom, embossed in gold on the transom always caught the evening light. It was just beautiful.

Same too with the boat that won the ’73 Rio Race, the Van de Stad design Stormy. What a perfect name for a winning yacht. I am looking at another boat in this years Rio race. Zulu Girl powered by MAZI ASSET MANAGEMENT. What a mouthful. How do you even fit that on a T-shirt?  Zulu Girl is nice but I guess the sponsor needs their name in the lights.

My first Rio race in 1979 didn’t even go to Rio. There were sanctions agains apartheid South Africa and so we had to go to Uruguay instead. I was sailing on a boat named Dabulamanzi, Zulu for Sweet Water. Beautiful name and a beautiful boat.

I named my own yacht Great Circle which I though was appropriately nautical. My next yacht I am going to name Spindrift, a word that I love and also the title of my first memoir. We are going to have a wooden tender, strip plank construction, white with varnish toe rail and I am going to name it Goodnight Moon. How about that?

I understand and appreciate that boats are now named for their sponsors and that has really sent some of the charm of sailboats into the dumper. Take Ineos Team UK for example. It’s a somewhat benign name if you don’t know that Ineos is largely a fracking company that is wrecking the environment at a rapid rate.

At least the Kiwis made some effort when naming their brand new America’s Cup boat. Emirates Team New Zealand is affectionately known as  Te Kahu which means ‘The Hawk.’ Their other test boat, Te Aihe means Dolphin. I like both but then again I love the Maori language. It rolls off your tongue.

The absolute worst and I mean by far the worst boat name was a 180-foot sleek jet black powerboat with heli pad and tinted windows. I was standing on the dock in Antibes when I saw the low slung beast pull into the harbor. The crew looked liked they had just stepped out of a mafia movie. I was intrigued and watched them dock the boat and that was when I saw the name.

I am going to leave this story here after revealing the name because there is not much more to say. In stark white letter on the transom was the name; Beaver Retriever.

Got one to add to the list? Jump right on in.

• Like 1

This is actually my job: developing names for products, services and companies [so that I can go sailing]. Stuff you see or use every day. I draw the line at dogs and boats, because kids can grow up, hunt you down and kill you. Would you mind if I shared this story with some folks in the trade?

9 hours ago, Editor said:

Boats, no let me rephrase that, yachts used to be so elegant with beautiful names.

Yeah, like the last American schooner to race Bluenose.

Gertrude L. Thebaud

• Like 1

I always wished Heath had named his varnished boats Morning Wood.

I also wished I had the skills & coin to take a boat to the Admirals Cup. I would have named it Perfidious Albion.

Nice post about naming above.

On 1/25/2020 at 4:24 AM, Editor said:

At least the Kiwis made some effort when naming their brand new America’s Cup boat. Emirates Team New Zealand is affectionately known as  Te Kahu which means ‘The Hawk.’ Their other test boat, Te Aihe means Dolphin. I like both but then again I love the Maori language. It rolls off your tongue.

It rolls off you tongue, though sometimes the pronunciation is maligned.

For a little guidance, click on each word to go to a link where you can hear how someone fluent in Māori says Te Aihe and Te Kahu.  A lot of New Zealanders get the pronunciation wrong, including me, in spite of my best efforts.

All time worst that I've seen on the starting line:

"LOVE mussel", a Soverel 33.

Second worst: 

"Pink on the Inside", on an appropriately painted white (and pink) 470.

As a kid, some cereal box offered bike "license plates" you could dangle behind your seat.  One of them was "Eager Beaver Retriever".

I was 11 and it pretty much puzzled me.  Learned a couple of years later that it was a newspaper back room reference to photographers who worked the underside of bleachers at high school football games.  Or so I was told.

tits-TGJ.01.jpg

This superyacht belonged to Prince Jefri Bolkiah, brother of the Sultan of Brunei. Not only was the name the sort of thing the thickest lad in the student union would cringe at, but he also had two breast-shaped tenders specially built to illustrate what he meant by it. Great one, Jef.

https://www.thegentlemansjournal.com/best-worst-yacht-names/

he also had two breast-shaped tenders

Nipple 1 & Nipple 2 ...

btw :

TIT'S was supposed to stand for - Travels in a Tranquil Sea :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Peenstone said:

Titillation.  It was a Ches Bay J-29 with an all-girl crew.

Best, never could be topped all female boat name was Pussy Galore.

To perfect it the tender should be named Row V Wade.

We snuck up next to Joel Byerly's Olsen 40 at BVI Spring Regatta one year and added a ST using black electrical tape in front of the painted name of the boat which was RIPTIDE. 

He had an all girl crew starting with his beautiful wife and daughter and their best looking gal pals who wore only a mere red string thong. The sailors from Puerto Rico would totally lose their cool and any sailing abilities when Joel would have his crew peel off their red windbreakers right as the one minute to start gun went off. That strategy worked wonders and eventually any female nudity used to distract competitors became known as 'Antigua Tactics'.

We snuck up next to Joel Byerly's Olsen 40 at BVI Spring Regatta one year and added a ST using black electrical tape in front of the painted name of the boat which was RIPTIDE. 

He had an all girl crew starting with his beautiful wife and daughter and their best looking gal pals who wore only a mere red string thong. The sailors from Puerto Rico would totally lose their cool and any sailing abilities when Joel would have his crew peel off their red windbreakers right as the one minute to start gun went off. That strategy worked wonders and eventually any female nudity used to distract competitors became known as 'Antigua Tactics'.

Byerley's Babes.jpg

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Byerley's Babes.jpg

What was the warm up t-shirt, "Tits by Tats?"

There are a few other threads in here that show the team in action on the weather rail.

- Stumbling

2 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Byerley's Babes.jpg

That's what I call living the dream

1 hour ago, stumblingthunder said:

What was the warm up t-shirt, "Tits by Tats?"

There are a few other threads in here that show the team in action on the weather rail.

- Stumbling

I couldn't find the sailing photo you mention stumbling but will keep looking. The 'Tits by Tat' shirt mentioned was for Doctor Tattersall of Tortola who was the preeminent Breast Augmentation surgeon of his day. He and Joel at the same party was always a hoot. On the race course too for that matter. 

I know I posted that sailing aerial photo of RIPTIDE with all the gals lined up on the rail but can't seem to find it. I guess this will have to do for now, may or may not be one of Joel's crew as the red thong is a big (actually very small) clue. If it wasn't one of the STRIPTIDE girls then she might have been undergoing this treatment by the crew of another Olsen 40 from St Thomas named FASTIDIOTS. Now how is that for a name?

24.JPG

This may have taken place on the Willie Thornton over in the BVI. 

6 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

I couldn't find the sailing photo you mention stumbling but will keep looking. The 'Tits by Tat' shirt mentioned was for Doctor Tattersall of Tortola who was the preeminent Breast Augmentation surgeon of his day. He and Joel at the same party was always a hoot. On the race course too for that matter. 

Linked to your original pic posting.

- Stumbling 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Mid said:

TIT'S was supposed to stand for - Travels in a Tranquil Sea :rolleyes:

Heh.  Sailed a SoCal half-tonner called "knockers", back in the day.  Owner was a plastic surgeon who really loved his work.

Crew shirts were the usual polos with the name on the front and a line drawing on the back.

But the ladies' shirts had, strategically located on the front, in large script, "half-ton knockers".

Kid you knot (sic), we had a blue blazer type raced his boat named "LIPRIS" around the bay like it was Defender or something.  Never understood what the hell he was sniff or huffing when he came up with that name...till a more knowledgeable type explainyed (sic) it to me.  I used to chuckle 'dickless' till the fella lost his job, boat and wife and was forced move to MO to stay alive.  nonetheless who in their right mind would put this on a T shirt, much less boat?

LIPRIS

Dodo
For a one of homebuild wooden sloop with a cabin that was too high and too large.
Owners were strange looking as well.

Always liked the 12m French Kiss,  

chase boat,  a big inflatable with twin Black Max outboards,  was Kiss Me Quick

& the tender,  Kiss Me Tender.

14 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

Linked to your original pic posting.

- Stumbling 

Thanks Stumbling!

But don't make these guys (and gals?) look! The want instant gratification...

That was not the Ohlson 30 RIPTIDE (aka STRIPTIDE) but I'm not sure what model it was. More of a racer/cruiser with some amenities down below as Joel aged gracefully.

dgKB5w5.png

On 1/27/2020 at 6:32 PM, Rasputin22 said:

Thanks Stumbling!

But don't make these guys (and gals?) look! The want instant gratification...

That was not the Ohlson 30 RIPTIDE (aka STRIPTIDE) but I'm not sure what model it was. More of a racer/cruiser with some amenities down below as Joel aged gracefully.

dgKB5w5.png

I think he was doing just fine with the amenities on deck!

- Stumbling 

• Like 1
On 1/27/2020 at 5:28 AM, TUBBY said:

Always liked the 12m French Kiss,  

chase boat,  a big inflatable with twin Black Max outboards,  was Kiss Me Quick

& the tender,  Kiss Me Tender.

You may not know that KISS was actually a sponsor of the Marc Pajot's team. You will not believe it but it was a Key-replacement minute shop franchise, all over France!!!

It was still (at he time) a big No-No to name a boat for the America's Cup from the sponsor name; and Marc Pajot was threatened to change the name. I do not know if they actually had to do it in the end, but if they had to, they decided to call the boat with numerals, instead of letters... French K155...

By the time it got to Oz it was definitely French Kiss.  With plenty of KIS signs around the compound.

I still have the shirt & jumper with the logo somewhere.  Pity the shirts were trading for good money until about the time I got mine at a crew Barbie!

The jumper was a crew shirt swap,  next time I will think to swap with another grinder though.  Still it looks good on the wife.,

What do you call a catamaran's very nice hulls? ...Nice Pair!  The owner subtly dotted the "i's" in pink for that subliminal suggestion.  Then this pic was on the bulk heads of each rear berth.  The colors of their suits matched the color of the graphics.  

Dsc_1207.thumb.jpg.74983459d226ba141ddb9be2479c3201.jpg1757920173_333003995.thumb.jpg.934e2b780968113d6e94f1a71781632b.jpg

• 11 months later...
On 1/26/2020 at 12:27 PM, SloopJonB said:

Best, never could be topped all female boat name was Pussy Galore.

That was a Lightning.  Her (the skipper's) father was the publisher for the James Bond books in the US. 

• Like 1

I miss Jol and Judy, but Ronin Tattersall is still thriving and well in Tortola.  Jol's boat in the 70s was an S&S 34 called Morning Tide.  When he got the Olson 30 in 1980 it was natural that it became Riptide.  I believe Jamie Dobbs is still racing it.  Happy days.

I think the tits thing originated in the 60s when Jol and Richard Scott-Hughes sailed the schooner Lord Jim, with several smart looking ladies in the crew.  Arriving in a bit of a pack at the weather mark, RSH apparently said to the girls, "Ok, foredeck all of you, and a slow strip."  Carnage at the mark, and they slipped round just fine.  Clothes back on, bear away, and cocktails served.

Dr. Robin Tattersall had agreed to do a home waterbirth for my first daughter. He got all excited at the prospect and would have just taken his powerboat over from Tortola to St John upon receiving our call. As it turned out she went breach and we went to Puerto Rico to a doc that specialized flipping breach babies back over and once they get their heads down properly into the pelvis and 'engaged' they will stay that way until the birth. Our little flipper somehow didn't understand that and flipped back at the last moment so no go with Tat and she was delivered by C-section in the hospital on St Thomas. 

I'm not sure I would have trusted Jol with birthing one of my kids but he just was a blast to race and party with. Tat was more reserved but you wouldn't ever have to face him in a protest committee room! 

• Like 1