Sign in to follow this  
Snatch Block

And Then There Were Three...

J-80, Olson 30 and Elliot 770.

J-80 = $25,000 to $35,000

Olson 30 = $15,000 to $20,000

Elliott 770 = $20,000 - $25,000

All have very similar PHRF Ratings

As in my previous topic, I'm looking to do single and double handed longer distances.

Looking for feedback on performance (results), initial purchase price, depreciation and resale value (ease of selling in the future)

My gut is telling me J-80 is the way to go.

Regards,

Snatch Block

Olson 30. Then you will have a budget leftover that can go towards sails, electronics, insurance, safety gear, dock fee.... 

also it has a proven track record for the type of sailing you want to do.

I did hear about a J80 crossing the Atlantic though. Crazy dudes.

As long as the Olson already has the beam of destiny and all, SB is probably right. Otherwise, that Elliott... I still regret selling mine sometimes, especially since I upgraded the rudder and a few other things. I don't think we ever lost to a J80 boat for boat or on corrected time, except once in SBRW in marginal planing conditions when the J80 went downwind wing on wing and beat us to the finish. We lost to a J70 once... that just happened to be sailed by a Sailing HOF inductee so I'll take it. 

Here's what I'll say about the J80 - it will be a lot more predictable than the Elliott, and you will find some conditions where it is marginally faster - especially in choppier upwind stuff. There are some great videos of heavy air J80 training on youtube. Still, we did pretty well offshore in the Greenport Ocean Challenge in the Elliott.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any of these choices.

I think the O30 only sails to its rating (99) above 8 knots when it is fully crewed (1,000+lbs) and with a head stay foil or hanks.  Adding roller furling reduces rig optimization, sail size, and tune-ability. A well maintained 030 has probably depreciated as much as it is going too.

O30's are super quick in the below 8 as well. They have the weight to keep momentum in chop and the power of a 155 along with a great phrf rating.

One of the best bangs per buck.

Hobie 33 is a cooler boat for offshore.

Both designs are very old and will require tons or work and $$$ so buy what your budget allows.