THE Biggest shorthanded race in North America

I believe is the Three Bridge Fiasco, run here in the San Francisco Bay Area by the Singlehanded Sailing Society.  There were over 300 boats signed up, and almost exactly 300 of them checked in by radio at the start.

In light of the ongoing chitchat about the newest Jeanneau, or the Dehler OD, or custom Class 40's, the reality for the overwhelming majority of us is that we sail what we've got.  IN light of that, I thought I'd C&P the data from Jibeset....just the list of boat designs, right here for y'all to ponder.

We can keep talking about the newest $250,000 Jeanneau SunFast, 'cause that's fun,  but the REALITY of what we sail, is right there.

984 hunter 34
1993 elliott 1050
2011 corsair dash 750 mk1
2019 beneteau 46.1
A 1937 iod
Alerion 28
Alerion 28
Alerion 28
Alerion 28
Alerion express 28
Alerion express 28
Alerion express 33
Alerion express 38
Alerion express 38
Alerion express 38-1
Antrim 27
Antrim 27 cm odr
Aphrodite 101
Azzura 310
Beneteau/oceanis 350
Beneteau 10r
Beneteau 323
Beneteau 32s5
Beneteau 37
Beneteau 423
Beneteau first 36.7
Beneteau first class 10
Bianca 414
C&c 25 ob
Cal 2-27
Cal 2-27
Cal20
Cal 34
Cal 39
Cal 40
Cal 40
Cal 40
Cal 40
Cal 40
Cal 40
Capo 26
Capo 30
Catalina 320
Catalina 320 wk
Catalina 34
Catalina 34
Catalina 34, 1994
Catalina 34, standard rig
Catalina 36 mkii
Catalina 38
Catalina 42
Class d catamaran
Columbia 5.5
Contessa 33
Corsair 31 1d
Corsair 31r trimaran
Corsair f-24 mark ll
Corsair f-24 mk i
Corsair f24 mark 1
Corsair f27
Corsair f31rs
Custom mull 30
Custom wilderness 30 sx
D class catamaran modified
Dehler 46
Diam-24 lac
Diam 24 od
Dragonfly 1200
Ericson 32 mk iii
Ericson 36rh
Ericson 911s olson
Etchells
Explorer 44 trimaran
Express-27
Express 27
Express 27
Express 27
Express 27
Express 27
Express 27
Express 27
Express 27
Express 27
Express 27
Express 27
Express 27
Express 27
Express 27
Express 27
Express 27
Express 27
Express 27
Express 27
Express 27
Express 27
Express 27 odr
Express 37
Express 37
Express 37
Express37
Express 37
Express 37
Extreme 40
F-27
F 27
F27
Farr 1020
Farr 30
Farr 30
Farr 38
Farr 40 one design
Farrier f-25c
Farrier f22
Freedom 40/40
Hawkfarm
Hawkfarm
Henderson 30
Hinckley bermuda 40
Hobie 33
Hobie 33
Hobie miracle 20  hobie cat
Hughes 48
Hunter 34
Hunter 37 legend wk
Island 30 mk. ii
Islander 30-2
Islander 30 mk ii
Islander 36
Islander 36
Islander 36
Islander 36
Islander 36
Islander 36
Islander 36
Islander 36
J-111
J-80
J/105
J/105
J/105
J/105
J/105
J/120
J/120
J/120
J/120
J/125
J/22
J/22
J/22
J/22
J/22
J/24
J/24
J/24
J/24
J/24
J/32
J/32
J/32
J/70
J/70
J/70 odr
J/88
J/88
J/88
J105
J105
J 105
J105
J 105
J105
J105
J105
J105
J105
J 109 odr
J 22
J 22
J22
J22
J22
J24
J24
J29
J 30
J35
J 44
J80
J 88
J 92
Jeanneau sun odyssey 349
Jensen marine cal 20
Jj taylor contessa 26
Landmark 43
Laser 28
Mancebo 31
Marstrom 30 trimaran
Martin 243
Melges 24
Melges 24 odr
Melges 32
Merit 25
Merrieholm folkboat
Moore 24
Moore 24
Moore 24
Moore 24
Moore 24
Moore 24
Moore 24
Moore 24
Moore 24
Moore 24
Moore 24
Moore 24
Moore 24
Moore 24
Moore 24
Moore 24
Moore 24
Moore 24
Moore 24
Moore 24
Moore 24
Moore 24
Moore 24
Moore 24
Moore 24
Moore 24
Mull /nash hybrid 27
Nacra c20
Nauticat
Nautor swan 391
Newland 36
Newport 30 mkii
Olson 25
Olson 25
Olson 25
Olson 25
Olson 29
Olson 30
Olson 30
Olson 30
Olson 30
Olson 30
Olson 30
Olson 34
Olson 40
Olson 911
Olson 911s
Open 8.5 multihull
Pacific seacraft 40
Pearson 26
Pearson 36-2
Pearson commander
Pogo 36
Ranger 23
Ranger 23
Ranger 33
Rhodes swiftsure
Sabre 36 cb
Sabre 40-2
Sabre spirit
Sabre spirit 36
Santa cruz 27
Santa cruz 27
Santa cruz 27
Santa cruz 27
Santa cruz 27
Santa cruz 27
Santa cruz 37
Santa cruz 50 custom
Santana 22
Santana 22
Santana 22
Santana 22
Santana 22
Santana 22
Santana 22
Santana 22
Santana 22
Schumacher 40 day sailor
Sf 3600
Sparkman and stephens  s&s 30
Swan 461
Tartan 4000
Ultimate 20
Ultimate 20
Ultimate 24
Walter greene 35 trimaran
Wauquiez centurion 40 s
Westsail 32
Wilderness 21
Wilderness 30
Wilderness 30 sx fr
Wilderness 30 sx fr ob mod
Worth 40
Wylie 33 custom
Wylie 39
Wyliecat,  wylie 39
Wyliecat 30
Wyliecat 30
Wyliecat 30
Wyliecat 30 ib
Wyliecat 30 ob
Wyliecat 39
Wylie custom 40
Wylie wabbit
Wylie wabbit
Wylie wabbit
Wylie wabbit
Wylie wabbit
Wylie wabbit 24
X-yachts, x-41
Yamaha 33 sm
Yankee dolphin 24

image.png

image.png

• Like 5

with all my due respect, the SF3300, 3200, the Dehler 30 OD, J99, JPKs, Figaros (1,2 or 3) to name a few are especially designed for shorthanded, and also built for a lot more than going around 3 bridges in a bay. Take for example the Figaro 2. It was never a boat meant to go fast (in light air at least). It was a boat designed to go singlehanded in 50 knots without a sweat. Awesome boat. You can pick one from france for less than $50K. A fleet is growing in the north east.

And I agree with you, I won't drop $250K to simply sail under the bridges.

However, newer designs inspire us to modify our boats and try what many innovations that 30 year old boats can benefit from (deck layout, sails, electronics, electrical,...).

my 2 cents.

• Like 2

Jsam31 ....completely agree.  I'm not saying those new boats are "bad" boats.

but here in the USA, 300 boats sailed singlehanded or doublehanded around 3 Bridges. That's the single biggest shorthanded event in North America, and  what's out there is everything affordable.

I put this up for people who might think..."gosh if I'm going to singlehand, I need to buy one of those purpose-built new boats".  Ain't so.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, jsam31 said:

with all my due respect, the SF3300, 3200, the Dehler 30 OD, J99, JPKs, Figaros (1,2 or 3) to name a few are especially designed for shorthanded, and also built for a lot more than going around 3 bridges in a bay. Take for example the Figaro 2. It was never a boat meant to go fast (in light air at least). It was a boat designed to go singlehanded in 50 knots without a sweat. Awesome boat. You can pick one from france for less than $50K. A fleet is growing in the north east.

And I agree with you, I won't drop $250K to simply sail under the bridges.

However, newer designs inspire us to modify our boats and try what many innovations that 30 year old boats can benefit from (deck layout, sails, electronics, electrical,...).

my 2 cents.

Or not. 

The three bridge fiasco regatta proves that you just need to show up with ones own shitbox. Most don’t finish. Most are pleasantly surprised when they do. Many people forget you don’t need to drop a lot of money into the competitive hobby to make it sporting. The number of people’s floating homes went sailing on Saturday proves my point.. Many didn’t even need to rig for single or double handedness - just slow the heck down to be safe and think it out as always is almost as good. it is those who want to sell us new shit to sail our boats not that we need any of it truly. It is those folks who drop a ton of cash into their boats who want others to drop their hard earned dollars into a sport which has no cash rewards. If you take one’s fragile ego out of it, one doesn’t need that much to do short handed sailboat racing. A will, a way and a enough scratch to have a nominal entrance fee is about it. As only a few point out - you don’t have to take a top three position to sail away as a winner.

• Like 3

Would I love to have a new SunFast 33?  Oh HELL yes.  Of course. I mean, there happen to be a few other new boats that tick more boxes for me than the SunFast 33 but you get the point... a new boat?  Of course!

....but you know, you don't have to have one of those to race shorthanded.

And you don't have to have one of those to race ACROSS OCEANS, shorthanded. 

What boats did the last Jester Challenge, solo across the Atlantic? Well, here's the 2006 entry list - https://jesterchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/jester-challenge-2006-entry-list.pdf

I see folkboat, a modified folkboat...a Twister (28 foot full keel design)..A corribbee 21, a Kingfisher, a Westerly 22...and ONE first generation Figaro.

Here's the Jester Challenge 2014 list:  https://jesterchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/jester-challenge-2014-entry-list.pdf

There's a Dehler 29, a 1967 Jouet, a SHE 31....nothing too fancy here.

Look at the Azores and Back entry lists. Look at the last twenty lists for the Singlehanded TransPac. - http://sfbaysss.org/shtp2018/racers/

That's the 2018 list.

It's heavy on West Coast ULDB's from the 70's and 80's like Olson 30's and Wilderness 30's.  But what's that? A freedom 38? I know that woman, she lives on that boat. I see a Westsail 32, Pacific Seacraft 37's..a. Valiant 32.

These are the boats that people have. They cross oceans in them...not just "In the Bay, around a couple of bridges".

Would I like a Brand New J-100?  Sure, I would.   A. SunFast?  LORD YES.  But I'm under no delusions that to play this game, I have to have a boat like that one.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Black Jack said:

Or not. 

The three bridge fiasco regatta proves that you just need to show up with ones own shitbox. Most don’t finish. Most are pleasantly surprised when they do. Many people forget you don’t need to drop a lot of money into the competitive hobby to make it sporting. The number of people’s floating homes went sailing on Saturday proves my point.. Many didn’t even need to rig for single or double handedness - just slow the heck down to be safe and think it out as always is almost as good. it is those who want to sell us new shit to sail our boats not that we need any of it truly. It is those folks who drop a ton of cash into their boats who want others to drop their hard earned dollars into a sport which has no cash rewards. If you take one’s fragile ego out of it, one doesn’t need that much to do short handed sailboat racing. A will, a way and a enough scratch to have a nominal entrance fee is about it. As only a few point out - you don’t have to take a top three position to sail away as a winner.

Black Jack

I hear you. But I also think you are missing my point. I was not criticizing the boats nor the sailors nor the 3BF race. I agree with you: anyone can go solo or double on any boats and do as they please. 
my only point was that the newer designs are meant to ultimately take you much further away, for a lot longer, safer and faster. 99% of us don’t need to do that, even if we had the budget. 

cheers

57 minutes ago, jsam31 said:

Black Jack

I hear you. But I also think you are missing my point. I was not criticizing the boats nor the sailors nor the 3BF race. I agree with you: anyone can go solo or double on any boats and do as they please. 
my only point was that the newer designs are meant to ultimately take you much further away, for a lot longer, safer and faster. 99% of us don’t need to do that, even if we had the budget. 

cheers

I would state it differently, but essentially the same point.  If my shorthanded goal was 3BF, even if I had an unlimited budget, I wouldn't choose the new 30-33 shorthanded options.  That's not what those boats are meant for.  That said, there are a number of shorthanded races where the new boats would really shine, because they are designed for that purpose.  Despite it being the biggest shorthanded race in the US, 3BF is not at all representative of the typical shorthand race.  We have a DH/SH race up here that annually gets more than 100 boats and usually 100ish finishers.  Race to the Straits.  It's my favorite race of the year.  Last year a Westsail 32 won one of the legs, but in general the racier boats finish closer to the front and one of the new designs would likely do very well.  Does that matter?  Not really.  But if you are in the market for a new boat and fancy shorthanded racing, you'd probably be a lot happier with one of the aforementioned new designs versus a Catalina, or a Farr 280, or pick any other boat in that price range...

Final thought - arguing you don't need a new boat to compete misses the point.  Some people just want a new boat and can afford it.  If they didn't do that, we'd have no boats to sail, period.  

9 hours ago, Roleur said:

I would state it differently, but essentially the same point.  If my shorthanded goal was 3BF, even if I had an unlimited budget, I wouldn't choose the new 30-33 shorthanded options.  That's not what those boats are meant for.  That said, there are a number of shorthanded races where the new boats would really shine, because they are designed for that purpose.  Despite it being the biggest shorthanded race in the US, 3BF is not at all representative of the typical shorthand race.  We have a DH/SH race up here that annually gets more than 100 boats and usually 100ish finishers.  Race to the Straits.  It's my favorite race of the year.  Last year a Westsail 32 won one of the legs, but in general the racier boats finish closer to the front and one of the new designs would likely do very well.  Does that matter?  Not really.  But if you are in the market for a new boat and fancy shorthanded racing, you'd probably be a lot happier with one of the aforementioned new designs versus a Catalina, or a Farr 280, or pick any other boat in that price range...

Final thought - arguing you don't need a new boat to compete misses the point.  Some people just want a new boat and can afford it.  If they didn't do that, we'd have no boats to sail, period.  

I do agree but here is thing - The rise of single and double handed racing is because fewer people want to sail. Finding like minded crew and getting them to show up is hard. (This minimal crewing trend should be mourned as well as celebrated like we are doing in this section and expansion of shorthanded regattas.) Getting a boat to sail to its rating is quite challenging. Taking that challenge and rigging one's boat to be easier to single hand or double hand is where many find their reward rather than ask new folks to join them in this wonderful sailing hobby.

Moreover new boat designs have not advanced that greatly to be considered superior short handers over any other designed and built since the late 1960s. they are dozens of seconds faster per mile that is for sure... but better that is completely debatable. New high tech sails, modern rigging, reliable auto-helms, sailing by GPS - those have been the real game changers in recreational race sailing in the last 2 decades.  I have discovered that people want a new sailboat much like wanting a fancy watch, a Porsche 2 seater or a private plane something that makes them feel good about themselves and serves a bobble for others to admire. Trying to argue an old charming well laid out boat with a good turn of speed can't deliver 90 percent of any sporty model is faulty in our boat logic and deep down we know better. Sadly we have let folks making a fast new clorox bottles with spartan amenities dictate a market to folks over the age of 50 who will spend less 5 nights a year aboard.  No doubt a new J99 would be a hoot and one of the faster ones to cross the finish line. In truth my boat sailed well can win on time against a brand new J99 or SF3200. I bought my semi spartan desirable wooden boat 1200 dollars a couple of years ago and much more comfortable than that 200,000 new race boat that is half my phrf. My boat's sister listed in the classified section in excellent shape can be had for 7k if you offered it in sincerity. That boat if raced in the SSS is a capable class winner and a looker. But for some - it is not enough.

I remember....30 years ago...

Going sailing with a guy  who had bought an Olson 911S.  It was 3 years old, he was the second owner and during the sail he asked me how much I thought he paid for the boat. I don't remember what I said but it was WAY, way too low...he paid $80K for the boat. So that means, I assume that the original owner bought it for $90K or more in about 1986 or so.  If the original owner hadn't bought that boat for $90K then I wouldn't be able to buy one for $24K, now.

Absolutely true and 30 years from now maybe when I'm 90 I can buy a SunFast 33. ha!  If someone doesn't buy the new boats, then there are never any old boats. TRUTH!

BlackJack has a made a point and I have to agree with him.  I think the rise of more shorthanded racing in North America is mostly due to the change in the overall culture.  Nowadays, a whole lot of people A.) don't want to commit to doing things more than 24 hours ahead of time, or less  B.) Lots of people want to go sailing once ( though they won't commit to doing it three weeks ahead of time, they want to make up their minds the night before)  ,  but mighty few want to commit to crew, reliably for  3-4 races a year, much less an entire racing season.  C.) At least in the SF Bay Area, housing is SO out of control, that younger peoples incomes go to housing and a few other perceived luxuries and not much is left over to pay the ever climbing berth rent.   That leaves us guys and gals who have our old boats, and love them, with fewer options for crew.  Thus, shorthanded racing.

I doubt...I strongly doubt that there are many "new" sailors who jump in convinced that they want to race singlehanded across oceans.

Anyway, I am very much not so sure that a new boat, specifically thought out to be a shorthanded boat is that much safer, on a long race on open water,  than a twenty-year old, well-built racer-cruiser......faster, yeah, at least a little bit. Easier to operate, well....maybe.  But safer, hmmmm.....not so sure about that.

I've been on board a Figaro II for a little tour. I've stared at it from the dock for a good 45 minutes working out what everything did.   I walked around deck, looked at all the strings, the HUGE tweaky rig and felt a little intimidated. That bugger is COMPLICATED. Is it THAT much faster than a simpler boat?  In the right hands, yeah....probably. In MY hands?  KISS is going to be faster, safer and more fun.

• Like 2

I would say the new 30-33' shorthanded designs exist specifically to replace boats like the Figaro 2, which were too complicated for the masses.  I'm not sure I'd consider a Figaro 2 to be even mid-pack in terms of shorthanded designs by todays standards.  

The beauty of this conversation is that it illustrates there is a boat out there for everyone.  $1,200 budget.  There is a boat for that.  $500k budget.  There is a boat for that too.  Since owning a boat isn't a necessity regardless, there is no reason to criticize either side of the spectrum.  

What I don't believe is there are people sidelined because they feel they can't race without a $250k boat.  I haven't seen any evidence to support that.  

• Like 1

There's a nifty little Wilderness 21 on our local Craigslist right now for $1,200. You could get it for $1K,  I bet.  It's not a rocketship for you can have an awful lot of fun on that little boat for not much money.

I know someone whom I wish would buy the damn thing,but he won't.  He's perfectly happy being a part of his private sailing club, where he has zero work to do, and the bills are a little bit lower. He crews for other people on their big boats, and sails all the time out of the various sailing clubs around the Bay.

There are days when I think he's pretty smart.

Is anyone moderately surprised to see more j/24, more j/105 on the roster than j/70?

J/70 sold like absolute hot cakes at launch, they're getting ready to roll over hull #2000 soon-ish six years later

3BF is generally a very flat water, dry race. Ideal for a J/70.

What's wrong with the SF J/70 fleet? Seems like they would be very competitive against the E27s etc

J/24 fleet was dead when I moved here in 2015, they have five extremely active boats now, seemingly out of nowhere. More than the J/70.

On 2/5/2020 at 11:56 PM, Hadlock said:

Is anyone moderately surprised to see more j/24, more j/105 on the roster than j/70?

J/70 sold like absolute hot cakes at launch, they're getting ready to roll over hull #2000 soon-ish six years later

3BF is generally a very flat water, dry race. Ideal for a J/70.

What's wrong with the SF J/70 fleet? Seems like they would be very competitive against the E27s etc

J/24 fleet was dead when I moved here in 2015, they have five extremely active boats now, seemingly out of nowhere. More than the J/70.

Owners of newer J boats seem to prefer regattas where they can show off their crew's matching Patagonia fleece vests. They also need perfectly square lines and weather marks that are dead upwind to have fun. They never have fun.

• Like 1

Having fun racing or otherwise sailing comes down to choice. I entered 3BF because I figured I should partake of the local ritual. 
original crew dropped out, so I ended up with a pickup and had a memorable day, in my nearly 60 yr old behemoth. 

• Like 2

Let's hear it for 60 year old Behemoths, and short-handing with the boat you've got.

I'm down.

Besides, a Bermuda 40?  You're KILLING the J-70's on looks and "class" alone.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Alan H said:

Let's hear it for 60 year old Behemoths, and short-handing with the boat you've got.

I'm down.

Besides, a Bermuda 40?  You're KILLING the J-70's on looks and "class" alone.

Just give us 10-15 kts of wind. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2020 at 4:10 AM, Snowden said:

I'm not even mad, I'm impressed

Agree, impressed by Farr 40 w/two people.  It takes a few moments to complete things.

10:29 hr. watch check, possibly - probably pre-start

49671106011_d1f3ca77d7_h.jpgIMG_2883_DxO

49671113486_c314f5711f_h.jpgIMG_3302_DxO_4500

Upwind to last mark with cruise ship bow

49446133503_8e872ca2c7_h.jpgIMG_3312_DxO_4096

Fog variation

49671108916_c4ccf98a65_h.jpgIMG_3315_DxO

17:32 hr. after sunset, downwind leg to the finish

49671395867_3866d1fbe8_h.jpgIMG_3421_DxO_4500 

• Like 4
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Single handed only, 125 boat entry cap.

From their website:

LATEST NEWS
1/08/2021
3 Bridge Fiasco Update

After discussing and considering the current Covid-19 situation & compliance with the Regional Stay-At-Home Order, the SSS board has decided to change the upcoming Three Bridge Fiasco race to Singlehanded-ONLY and will not have a Doublehanded division.

The decision was reached by taking into consideration the risks for the needed additional race committee personnel as well as issues with having boats race with mixed households onboard.

Additionally, there will be a limitation of 125 entries.

As we look forward to running our traditional, well attended Singlehanded and Doublehanded remaining races in 2021, no definitive decision can be made regarding DH entries in future races.  That will be evaluated based on the state of COVID restrictions in place at that time.

We expect registration to open within the next couple of days.  It will be announced here, across the SSS platforms and on Jibeset.

Thank you for your patience!

On 1/30/2020 at 4:55 PM, Black Jack said:

Or not. 

i'm a fan of the run what ya brung.. I drag my tired old J35 out to do singlehanded stuff with just a decent main, and a tired old #3 and I get to sail it just as much as a guy who drops 300k on something. I've got enough pickle dishes to cover all the walls in my house now, so I don't really care. Sometimes it's just fun to go sailing. And sometimes, when the wind is just right and the conditions favor my boat and sail configuration, nothing can touch this boat upwind. it's fun to walk away from a purpose built WTF3200. 

me and a buddy raced my boat in local wed night series this past summer. we were 2 up on the 35 just M&J racing in the shitbox non-spin class. we had a blast, got the gun in every race against mostly fully crewed boats, some of which did fairly well.. we lost the series by one second of corrected time in the last race and were pretty happy about it.

a sidenote: we were able to actually remain socially distanced from each other and stayed healthy throughout the series. I cannot say that about some of the crews on other boats. There was some contagion taking place out there... 

• Like 3
On 4/12/2020 at 11:29 PM, SlackWater_SF said:

Agree, impressed by Farr 40 w/two people.  It takes a few moments to complete things.

10:29 hr. watch check, possibly - probably pre-start

49671106011_d1f3ca77d7_h.jpgIMG_2883_DxO

49671113486_c314f5711f_h.jpgIMG_3302_DxO_4500

Upwind to last mark with cruise ship bow

49446133503_8e872ca2c7_h.jpgIMG_3312_DxO_4096

Fog variation

49671108916_c4ccf98a65_h.jpgIMG_3315_DxO

17:32 hr. after sunset, downwind leg to the finish

49671395867_3866d1fbe8_h.jpgIMG_3421_DxO_4500 

holy ficking shit, this is so sexy

• 2 weeks later...

The 3B is a race what you got and if you can't fly the kite solo then you don't, I think for most people doing it the challenge is trying to figure out your race course with all the wind angles, tides, etc. Everyones first goal is to finish and if they get a decent time are very happy about it. Its about the being out there sailing with a bunch of other people who love it too. 

I had a 30 footer before and that size was perfect to be able to sail solo, if I saw that the wind was perfect I would go to the boat and be out of the slip in 15 minutes without having to call and wait for someone else to help me sail it. 

Tides and currents were brutal this year. The heavy rains from this week changed even the relief counters.  Epic day and nearly made three marks before coming to the conclusion there was little chance of finishing before 7. I went counterclockwise starting with the idea to make Blackaller first.  Once I shut off my engines near the starting line at 5 mins before my start time,  it took me/us nearly a hour and quarter to cross to get to the line as the current increased and winds dropped to 2 to 3 kts. The conditions were nearly pleasant with changing wind patterns that made the guessing of direction and course much harder to do. Sun with clouds for most of the day.  It was exactly like nearly every other TBF what you'd expect with much you don't.

Glad to have spent the whole day with fellow Mull boat racing and encouraging each other - we had our own match with in a race. When Bill and I got back to the Alameda estuary we enjoyed a great dinner to go from the nice estuary dock parking restaurant Pasta Pelican.  Both of us were tired and yet so happy we had such an amazing day with our boats among a hundred others throughout the bay who knew felt the same.

Where else in North America can you have as much fun recreationally racing solo en mass in winter?

419629840_ScreenShot2021-01-31at10_48_32AM.thumb.png.d260e5ff0b599778c05c143a9f28bfa8.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 10.48.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 10.50.32 AM.png

• Like 3
On 1/31/2021 at 1:26 PM, SlackWater_SF said:

2021 TBF - Open 8.5m Mama Tried, 1st to finish multihull

I had a blast, home in Santa Cruz 6:45 and asleep by 8:00.

Went counterclockwise and finished at 3:20 after starting at 10:41.

Rounding Blackaller, it really looked like Punk Dolphin was gonna take it. But Johnathan didn't set a kite and the J-70 chased him down and passed him a few hundred yards from the finish. 

BTW, two black Alerion 28's finished within, I'd say 6 inches of each other.  INCHES. Closest finish I've ever seen.

44 minutes ago, Alan H said:

Rounding Blackaller, it really looked like Punk Dolphin was gonna take it. But Johnathan didn't set a kite and the J-70 chased him down and passed him a few hundred yards from the finish. 

50897366202_f76e18edaf_c.jpgIMG_6650_DxO 

J/70 with asym, maybe a jibe in the works

On 4/12/2020 at 1:29 PM, SlackWater_SF said:

Not that hard. No running backstays :)

I'm sure setting the spin is more fun than usual.

A few pictures are in a flickr gallery = https://flic.kr/s/aHsmU2RA7u

Start area pictures from last Saturday morning Jan.30th were uploaded today.

Wylie 39, Punk Dolphin, 2nd Monohull to Finish, 1st Single Handed Spin PHRF 108 and under MW (Manual Winches)

50899703077_ff89745111_c.jpg

IMG_6360_DxO

50915345933_b797c563fd_c.jpgIMG_6363_DxO 

Self-tacker left on the dock. 

Express 27 starters

50916139417_b298108e13_c.jpgIMG_6232_DxO 

50916013496_b7bcbdba95_c.jpgIMG_6239_DxO 

Mancebo 31, Bloom County

50915341543_aed370d484_c.jpgIMG_6316_DxO