TJSoCal

Garmin GST 43 Installation Issue

We're trying to connect a GST 43 paddlewheel speed transducer. Network has a GPSMap 742 plotter, a couple of GMI 20 displays, a couple of GNX 20 displays and a GNX Wind display.

We hooked up the GST 43 through a GST 10 adapter to the NMEA 2000 network. The network seems to recognize the device as it asks for a speed sensor calibration on boot up. We did the calibration but got "---" for boatspeed on the displays indicating no speed data coming from the transducer (not 00.0 kt as we'd expect if it was just a stuck paddlewheel).

Anybody have any advice? Is there a setting we're missing somewhere?

We did the calibration but got "---" for boatspeed on the displays indicating no speed data coming from the transducer (not 00.0 kt as we'd expect if it was just a stuck paddlewheel).

At sea or at the dock? Having spun the paddlewheel after connection and powering up the N2K network?

Some adapters such as the Actisense DST require the paddlewheel to have made a number of revolutions before reporting a speed (even 0.00), as opposed to no data if the required number of revs has not been achieved.

Just now, nleclerc said:

At sea or at the dock? Having spun the paddlewheel after connection and powering up the N2K network?

Some adapters such as the Actisense DST require the paddlewheel to have made a number of revolutions before reporting a speed (even 0.00), as opposed to no data if the required number of revs has not been achieved.

Both. We tried spinning the paddlewheel at the dock and got nothing, but we had the boat out to do calibration runs (which require you to come up to cruising speed for a little bit, then stop the boat and punch the calibration button). Never got any numbers to show for boatspeed from the sensor.

Hi TJSoCal,

Did you get this resolved? We are suffering from something that seems the same. Sounds like we tried all the same steps as you described above. One other thing we've managed to prove to ourselves that we get the water temperature from the GTS 43. 

Any tips would be great :)

Couldn't find it anywhere in the garmin manuals, but mine would not show any information until calibration was completed.  I wrongly assumed the sensor would send info, albeit inaccurate, out of the box.  Nope.  Mine showed nothing during the calibration process.  After calibration it worked fine.  I used a separate gps unit to calibrate.  If you are in current, you'll obviously have another issue to deal with in the process I used.

40 minutes ago, Notquitecapnron said:

Couldn't find it anywhere in the garmin manuals, but mine would not show any information until calibration was completed.  I wrongly assumed the sensor would send info, albeit inaccurate, out of the box.  Nope.  Mine showed nothing during the calibration process.  After calibration it worked fine.  I used a separate gps unit to calibrate.  If you are in current, you'll obviously have another issue to deal with in the process I used.

Thanks for the tip!

That was our assumption too. We will try the calibration asap.

...and just to be clear, because to me it defies logic, my experience was it will not show any speed during the calibration process.  You must complete the entire process and then it works.  Thus the separate gps unit requirement for calibration.  Good luck.

Let me know if anyone has any great ideas for getting the Garmin wind instrument to consistently display info.  I did the wireless and it drops out a lot.  

Thanks for the tips Notquitecapnron! We got it to work. Went through the whole process with zero information from the log. Then when it was done... Everything worked perfectly.

On the wireless wind, we have that too. However, it has been working consistently the entire time. Wish we could return the favor. Good luck and thanks again!

Hubbles, Glad it worked out, and glad I could save someone the pain I went through figuring that out.  Including calling Garmin tech support that never mentioned the process.

Curious...how far from wind instrument vs. display are you?  I'm about 35 feet. (Laser 28)  S2 7.9 next slip over couldn't get his wireless to work consistently either.  He has less distance to cover.  (Found this out after purchase) He replaced twice, gave up and went wired.  He also had issues with the solar panel deforming and failing.  We're in Kentucky, so much harsher elements available...frustrating.   

Apologize for the bottom of the boat to the top thread drift.

On 7/10/2020 at 1:52 AM, Notquitecapnron said:

Curious...how far from wind instrument vs. display are you?  I'm about 35 feet. (Laser 28)  S2 7.9 next slip over couldn't get his wireless to work consistently either.  He has less distance to cover.  (Found this out after purchase) He replaced twice, gave up and went wired.  He also had issues with the solar panel deforming and failing.  We're in Kentucky, so much harsher elements available...frustrating.   

Apologize for the bottom of the boat to the top thread drift.

Sorry for the delay in response. From outside boating world experience, there may be some kind of interference near by since both of you are having issues. The distance between our two devices is well over 40 feet. We did pair the device before mounting. We've had zero connection issues.

We're in Sweden on the Baltic sea coast, planning to head around to the north sea, so we really hope it keeps the good connection. But I don't think she'll see the same heat and humidity as Kentucky summer.

Hope you find some luck and fair winds!

On 7/9/2020 at 7:46 AM, Hubbles said:

Hi TJSoCal,

Did you get this resolved? We are suffering from something that seems the same. Sounds like we tried all the same steps as you described above. One other thing we've managed to prove to ourselves that we get the water temperature from the GTS 43. 

Any tips would be great :)

We did, thanks to Anarchist GOGO Gadget.

There's a step in the speed calibration process where it says to stop the boat. But apparently if the boat is stopped (paddlewheel not spinning) the system sees no signal and will not accept calibration. If you don't stop the boat but follow the rest of the steps the speed calibration works fine.

Decided to recalibrate speed on my GST43.  I guess this was  a mistake, as now I am back to getting nothing but  - - - - on the display again.   The calibration page comes up normal on the display, and I can go through all the steps of the calibration process, but no matter what I do it will not display speed now.  Tried stopping the boat...tried keeping the boat moving.  Paddle wheel is rotating fine.  It was showing speed before, I just suspected it was slightly inaccurate so I wanted to re-calibrate.  My previous calls to Garmin support haven't been rewarding.

Any ideas?  

Had an "ah ha" moment a couple days ago.  It hit me that my Garmin gps unit was added after the first calibration of paddle wheel transducer.  So I disconnected NMEA 2000 Garmin gps unit, and you guessed it, calibration of transducer went just fine.  Screwed the gps nmea cable back on and everything works fine.  

So bottom line, if you are having trouble calibrating paddle wheel transducer with GND 10 adapter cable, and you have a gps unit also on the system, try disconnecting the gps and then calibrate.

• Like 1

Had this in another thread but it sounds like maybe similar issue, can't get my BG annometer to show data.  Can see converter on network.  Anyone else have a magical sequence to get to going.  I changed the n2k network so maybe that's it.  Have heard it needs to see a compass, the precision 9 is on the same network, only thing I can think of is the AIS n2k port is not working and I don't have another GPS in the network other than the plotters internal one.  Does it need to see a GPS maybe?

Also have a Airmar bv744 triducer with Garmin cable and plug.  Is there a way to get this converted to n2k? I have a adapter cable to my simrad plotter and can get depth but not temp and speed.

Thanks