Jump to content

Family Freindly Beach Cat


Recommended Posts

Wondering what some of the models of beach cats are that would be good for 2 adults, 2 small children and maybe a bit of camping gear.  On the more affordable end of the spectrum.

Currently own a Prindle 16, good boat for camping,  but the boom is pretty low for managing kids under 6 or 7.

I know Hobie Getaway with the racks is a good option so I am keeping an eye out for one of them.  Wonder if there are other good options for a family with small kids?  Doesn't need to be exceptionally fast.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TBW said:

Wondering what some of the models of beach cats are that would be good for 2 adults, 2 small children and maybe a bit of camping gear.  On the more affordable end of the spectrum.

Currently own a Prindle 16, good boat for camping,  but the boom is pretty low for managing kids under 6 or 7.

I know Hobie Getaway with the racks is a good option so I am keeping an eye out for one of them.  Wonder if there are other good options for a family with small kids?  Doesn't need to be exceptionally fast.

Hobie 21, wings, short mast, storage box,  $5000,

Reynolds 21, cabins, fast, $5000

Seawind 24, cabins, very safe $10k

Link to post
Share on other sites

Key factor in answering your question is your price point.   Even on a newer style beach cat with a deck sweeper you can raise the topping lift to get more room under the boom.   One of the safest beach cats I have been on is the Stiletto 23; and one of the fastest as well.  Even something like the Stiletto 27 could be in consideration if you have a big price point.

Another big issue is how you define camping.  If you are taking a tent, stove, and ice chest you need to figure out some way to safely store everything; not to mention weight distribution.  While some folks would say that is the minimum others may have more creature comforts in mind.  

I have a Prindle 18-2 that the PO put wings from a Hobie 21 on.  It competed in the EC one year which involved camping.  I am not sure how comfortable I would be camping on it; and there is no way I would camp with a female and two young kids.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hobie Getaway has so many limitations with those Rotomoulded hulls. Get something faster like a Hobie 18 w/wo wings or the Hobie 21. Half the issue i had camping with wife and two kids was time spent on the water. Unless its a short trip in good winds don't waste your money on the Getaway

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tomfl said:

 

Another big issue is how you define camping.  

When I say camping, I mean ashore, not on the boat.  So tent, sleeping bags, some non perishable food that doesn't require refrigeration.  Land the boat on the beach then set up camp.  

We have been doing this as a family for several years on our little monohull, but we want something that sails a little better.  I have been doing it for several years without the kids on my Prindle 16.  The Prindle 16 has pretty good storage in the hulls as long as everything fits through a 5 inch inspection port.  The Prindle doesn't have the real estate for 2 adults and two kids though, especially with the lowish boom and finger chopping traveller.  You can tell them not to put their fingers there, but it doesn't mean they are going to listen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SpearHead said:

The Hobie Getaway has so many limitations with those Rotomoulded hulls. Get something faster like a Hobie 18 w/wo wings or the Hobie 21. Half the issue i had camping with wife and two kids was time spent on the water. Unless its a short trip in good winds don't waste your money on the Getaway

Yah, plastic hulls nearly kept me from getting one, but it was a fun ride (one or two on board), had lots of room, was stable enough and fast enough in any wind you would likely take your family out in.  It's not a waste of money since -- check for yourself-- it is very hard to find used ones for sale, so they keep their value.  Top end around 15 kts, so it hardly is slow.  No boom to kill kids and you can get a new one under 10K US$ (after options like trailer and wings, it is a bit more).  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not worried about the performance of the Getaway.  I have seen them on the water while out on my Prindle.  The performance seems reasonably similar.  I think the Getaway is actually faster in lumpy conditions and certainly more family freindly.

They do seem pretty tough to find used though, so that's why I was wondering about possible alternatives.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Veeger said:

Family, beach camping, performance.... I'd say you should try to find a Chris White Discovery 20.

Well, THAT link didn't work so good,  how about just checking out Chris White web page instead.  It's there...

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is just one of those things you need to ask the French.

Set google language to francaise and start searching with various combinations of Raid, Cat, Catmaran, Camping...they do all the time. They do it alone, they do it on mass:

Raid-cata-02.jpg

Raid catamaran de sport

95.jpg

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Veeger said:

discovery 20 failed link....

Discovery 20 is first, not a beach cat (it is a 1980's vintage tri); and second, it is designed so people stay in the cockpit instead of hanging out all over the place on tramps...so the OP might as well stay with his monohull (although the D20 will get him there faster and flatter).  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TBW said:

I am not worried about the performance of the Getaway.  I have seen them on the water while out on my Prindle.  The performance seems reasonably similar.  I think the Getaway is actually faster in lumpy conditions and certainly more family freindly.

They do seem pretty tough to find used though, so that's why I was wondering about possible alternatives.  

thebeachcats.com forum has a passionate community tracking all the variants, and a "good deals" sub-forums keeping an eye on random cats that turn up for sale... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hobie 18’s are good boats for this but generally long in the tooth. To that end, the Hobie Tiger or Nacra F18 are better buys. Ideally the Nacra 570 would be perfect for you, or maybe the 580 (essentially the same boat with centerboards). Downside is they are all a tad heavy to drag up and down the beach, something the Pringle 16 does reasonably well. For cheaper, going with a Prindle 18-2 or maybe even a 19 and ordering a boomless main might work!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I sail a wide variety of small boats. For weight capacity, there are few small catamarans or trimarans that can match the Getaway. I'd consider the wings a necessity. While the Getaway can't match the performance of similar sized beach cats, load them with 600 or more pounds, and the Getaway may have the best performance. You're probably not going for max speed with the whole family onboard anyway. On the east coast of the US, you can usually find a used one for around $5k. There are currently two listed on craigslist in the Boston area.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I camp a few times a year: with a tent, coolers, stove, dryfood, dog, doghouse, dogfood, firewood and about a weeks worth of clothing - often a guitar as well. 

I gave up on using my beach cat for camping 8 years ago. FOR ME: It is not safe to sail with all the gear i want and for some reason it is always blowing like stink when i return - gets pretty hairy with my dog, guitars and all my camping gear on the cat in 20 plus

I got a v-bow jon boat and it is much safer - i camp for at least a week in the fall and often go back for my catamaran after a few days


Since there are only a few production cats with wings you are limited to H18, (i wont even add a h17 to this for weight reasons) getaway and older prindles that had wings or something custom like my mystere in the picture.

I think a getaway is probably the best option for island camping. sure it's not as performance as a fiberglass cat but it checks off all your needs / family boat, robust/ wings/ front tramp ... etc

everyone else i camp with ends up making multiple trips to get the gear they need out

IMG_1986.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MultiThom said:

Discovery 20 is first, not a beach cat (it is a 1980's vintage tri); and second, it is designed so people stay in the cockpit instead of hanging out all over the place on tramps...so the OP might as well stay with his monohull (although the D20 will get him there faster and flatter).  

True , the Discovery 20 is a trimaran and not a beach cat, but for 2 adults and 2 young kids and some camping gear, a semi-closed cockpit might be a better choice IMHO. And you can still have trampolines between the cockpit and the amas and sit there if you want to!

It is the set up my friend Kevin and I have on our D20. And no, the boat is not for sale... :D. We have been working slowly on it to get it fixed and with the right set up for unfolding, raising mast and launching. We can still improve, but here is a loooog version of the set up. You can see in the video that there is still a lot of hesitation, back and forth and improvement to be done. For instance, with a different mast horizontal rest set up, we should be able to keep the A-frame, the shrouds, and the temporary shrouds hooked up, so raising is faster...

 

To me, it would be a wonderful fast, stable, low draft, safe sailboat for camping off the beach with a family of 4.

If you watch the video below in youtube, you can get to some of the notes Kevin added.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Discovery 20 is a cool looking boat, but it's much bigger than I want.  Similar length and draft to my monohull, much beamier and my mono has a nice cozy cabin big enough for us all to sit in during a rain storm etc.

What I really want is a beach boat.  The boat would be used for camp cruising (tent on shore) in places like the 1000 Islands in Ontario, and the 10000 islands in Florida.

I don't think I mentioned my local lake where I would keep it for day sailing is quite small.  About 750 acres.  No need for a big powerful tri or even a fast beach cat on such a little lake.

I see the Getaway is only about 90 pounds heavier than my Prindle, so I think should still be manageable.  

I have been checking out some other boats like Nacra 580 and Topper Topaz 16, but they all seem to lack some nice features the Getaway has.  For example, the Getaway has decent sized hatches in the hull for camping gear.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, TBW said:

I see the Getaway is only about 90 pounds heavier than my Prindle, so I think should still be manageable.  

 I have been checking out some other boats like Nacra 580 and Topper Topaz 16, but they all seem to lack some nice features the Getaway has.  For example, the Getaway has decent sized hatches in the hull for camping gear.

"90 pounds heavier than my Prindle," 
With beach wheels it shouldn't be an issue at all

" For example, the Getaway has decent sized hatches in the hull for camping gear."
pretty sure those 5" hatches are actually coolers. not all that much room for gear but some. (this is from online research, not first hand exp)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, TBW said:

 

I have been checking out some other boats like Nacra 580 and Topper Topaz 16, but they all seem to lack some nice features the Getaway has.  For example, the Getaway has decent sized hatches in the hull for camping gear.

Those hatches are really coolers with a bottom, honestly only hold about a 6 pack and sandwiches.  One owner did cut holes in the tops for camping gear (with suitable closures.  They may have changed that feature since the 2011 that I owned...new ones with reverse bows came out a couple years ago, supposed to be a little quicker-but I don't expect hobie to have allowed access to the hulls for storage.  One guy that does the EC on his just piles all the stuff on the front tramp; still lots of real estate left for family.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I fitted my getaway with a mast head screacher for light air, an asymspin flown from the front bar and a symmetric spin also flown from the front bar.  I kept the luff short (just above the forestay) and snuffed on the front tramp.  Was fun to play with.  Here's a video of one of the first sails with the symmetric; had some issues - I probably made the spin too big.  I'm posting this just to show the speeds you can get, the stability of the boat with only 2 bodies and how nice it is to just lean back against the wings.  I'd probably still have it except I couldn't get over having that big ball on top of the mast-made me look like I didn't know how to sail.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, MN3 said:

pretty sure those 5" hatches are actually coolers. not all that much room for gear but some. (this is from online research, not first hand exp)

 

34 minutes ago, MultiThom said:

Those hatches are really coolers with a bottom, honestly only hold about a 6 pack and sandwiches. 

I didn't realize they were so small.  What am I missing, why don't beach cat manufacturers want you in the hulls?  The in hull storage in our Prindle 16 has to be one of the best features.  Everything in the hulls, nothing on deck except a lunch bag and a chart case.  These are EC pics.  Clear trampoline, everything tucked away in the hulls..

prindle2.jpg

prindle3.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know why hobie does that.  I never removed the cooler to inspect, so I don't know for sure, but it may have something to do with how the shrouds attach to rotomolded plastic.  Or it may be that there aren't any internal bulkheads like you would normally see in a glass boat so there might be a lot of opportunity for water sloshing around in there which can be a big issue.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, david r said:

Check for G cat 5.7.  front tramp, boomless. buoyancy for a small family is no problem.

I love g-cats and have sailed with G-cat's designer/owner (Hans G)  for the past dozen years (that's him below). 

the issue is the total lack of parts and support for this boat. if you break a rudder or casting - you are on your own to fabricate one or hunt down a used one - and they made several versions - no telling if it will work

Also the boat is a bit twitchy and prone to pitchpole (i've been swimming a few times while sailing on g-cats for these reasons)

 

gca2t.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TBW said:

What am I missing, why don't beach cat manufacturers want you in the hulls?  

 

I would guess the reasons are: leaks, weak structurally, can break when stepped on, the screw on ones get jammed up with salt, dirt and can freeze up. and people probably lose all sorts of stuff in the hulls without any way to get it back. 
I have found several objects in my hulls when i took the deck's off to replace bow / side-stay tangs.

I added a large square access port to my 5.5 years ago. while it is very nice to have the storage, I wish i didn't. over time the seal has failed. the lid is now loose and i fear in a capsize it will allow water to pour in.  Not to mention i fear it may be the point of failure when the boat meets it's maker.
 

My 6.0 previous owner added one too - same results. poor fit over time, not water tight

1 hour ago, TBW said:

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

How about two Hobie Tandem Adventure Islands?  Easy to get the kids involved because you can pedal, steer, and run thee sheet from either seat.  You can race to the next camping spot.  Have two way radios to talk to each other.  Seems like that would be great adventure for the kids!  The boat has storage hatches for camping gear too.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MultiThom said:

I don't know why hobie does that.  I never removed the cooler to inspect, so I don't know for sure, but it may have something to do with how the shrouds attach to rotomolded plastic.  Or it may be that there aren't any internal bulkheads like you would normally see in a glass boat so there might be a lot of opportunity for water sloshing around in there which can be a big issue.  

from my reading those are molded into the hull - there is no removal without cutting it out. there is drainage that drains icewater out under the tramp

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MN3 said:

from my reading those are molded into the hull - there is no removal without cutting it out. there is drainage that drains icewater out under the tramp

That's right, I'd forgotten.  I did once want to inspect the chainplates (or whatever they use) and couldn't figure out how to do it without cutting something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, efrank said:

How about two Hobie Tandem Adventure Islands?  Easy to get the kids involved because you can pedal, steer, and run thee sheet from either seat.  You can race to the next camping spot.  Have two way radios to talk to each other.  Seems like that would be great adventure for the kids!  The boat has storage hatches for camping gear too.

We have discussed this at length, I already have a tandem sailing kayak my son and I rip around on (Wilderness Sytems, not hobie), but my wife was less keen, and she has some valid points.  Our youngest is only 18 months, so that would leave a parent simultaneously single handing both a boat and a toddler...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, samc99us said:

TBW,

    This looks like the perfect boat for your needs: https://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/catamarans-for-sale/p16562-2009-hobie-pearl-18.html 

    Essentially its a recreational version of a Hobie Tiger, nice high boom, storage built into the hulls etc. Good luck.

 

Interesting boat that I like; except for the $US8,000 price.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Tomfl said:

Interesting boat that I like; except for the $US8,000 price.

8k? Is that with a friendly discount?  :)
It is listed for 9k 

Seems like a pretty cool boat - wonder how well it tracks with those micro centerboards

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, samc99us said:

TBW,

    This looks like the perfect boat for your needs: https://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/catamarans-for-sale/p16562-2009-hobie-pearl-18.html 

    Essentially its a recreational version of a Hobie Tiger, nice high boom, storage built into the hulls etc. Good luck.

 

Cool boat,  I think I will be driving through Jacksonville end of Feb and again mid March.  Might try for a look.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MN3 said:

8k? Is that with a friendly discount?  :)
It is listed for 9k 

Seems like a pretty cool boat - wonder how well it tracks with those micro centerboards

I suspect it does pretty well. They are a bit far back but not much smaller than the Tornado boards.

I've never seen a boat go for asking price; occasionally they will, but those boats never make it to the internet. Typically ask-20% is common. Ask-30% is also not uncommon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tomfl said:

Interesting boat that I like; except for the $US8,000 price.

For a 10 year old boat that looks in great shape and retails for $17,500, plus an easy $2500 to import (more like $4k+), I'd say thats a good price. Yes, you could do better putting wings on a Hobie Tiger and re-cutting an older F18 mainsail, but you'd still be at a similar price point with an older boat.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, samc99us said:

For a 10 year old boat that looks in great shape and retails for $17,500, plus an easy $2500 to import (more like $4k+), I'd say thats a good price. Yes, you could do better putting wings on a Hobie Tiger and re-cutting an older F18 mainsail, but you'd still be at a similar price point with an older boat.

From the OP

 

Quote
On 2/2/2020 at 9:00 PM, TBW said:

On the more affordable end of the spectrum.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

10 hours ago, MN3 said:

8k? Is that with a friendly discount?  :)
It is listed for 9k 

Seems like a pretty cool boat - wonder how well it tracks with those micro centerboards

That is with my typo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tomfl said:

From the OP

 

 

I hear ya...not sure what that means exactly as one mans cheap is not the same as another...the cheapest boats that are upgrades from his current Prindle 16 would be a Hobie 18 or Prindle 18, both 30+ years old at this point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Budget is a bit flexible.  Would be selling a reasonably nice 21 ft monohull to pay for it.  I would say the Hobie Pearl is in about the right ballpark but at the upper end.  I am not looking for a 40 year old Prindle,  I already have one of those :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

TBW, There may be one glitch in your plans to get a new boat. The " reasonably nice 21 ft monohull " you plan to sell represents two potential problems: 1) it may take a  long time to sell  2) you will probably get less money than you expect. However, once sold, you are free to move on. The range of boats you are considering seems to be expanding rather than narrowing. Narrow it down and avoid driving yourself crazy. Summer is coming. Happy Sailing!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll throw a wildcard in the mix.  The Maine Cat 22.

The Bad:
1)  Expense.  There aren't many, and the owners like them, so when they sell it's usually a little too high imo.  We paid too much for ours, but then again we paid it.  So expect to be $15k in by the time you have it ready to go.  

2)  It's not super practical to trailer and rig/derig for just a weekend. If you have fam, work etc, the time you loose in setup/takedown is not going to be worth it for a quick weekend... (see #6)

3) come for sale about 1 per 1.5 years?

The Good

1)  It's stable as heck

2)  room for small kids.

3)  capacity for cargo.  Boat will be fine with you, kids, wife...or with 6 adults with cocktails when the kids are with the grandparents?

4) Speed.  Not crazy, but totally adequate.  We've been 15knots with 4 adults in 20kt wind.  However, sailing at 7 to 10 knots effortlessly when it's blowing 12 to 15 is just awesome.

5) It's just small enough to man handle on and off the beach but not to roll it up on rollers or dolly.

6)  If you can keep it anchored or on a dock for the season, then you are in business....it's minutes from stepping on to sailing.  With the lazy jacks on the main, and roller furler on jib.  We usually step on, throw the gear in the center, back the boat out and get sailing. We then organize while we are in motion.  This is 100% against how I was used to sailing, but the large surface area of the deck and all the control lines run to the rails allows this kind of behavior

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the impression your price point was a lot lower than it seems to be now.  I would look for something like a Super Tramp, a nice little tri Ian designed early on.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, patmo141 said:

I'll throw a wildcard in the mix.  The Maine Cat 22.

The Bad:
1)  Expense.  There aren't many, and the owners like them, so when they sell it's usually a little too high imo.  We paid too much for ours, but then again we paid it.  So expect to be $15k in by the time you have it ready to go.  

2)  It's not super practical to trailer and rig/derig for just a weekend. If you have fam, work etc, the time you loose in setup/takedown is not going to be worth it for a quick weekend... (see #6)

3) come for sale about 1 per 1.5 years?

The Good

1)  It's stable as heck

2)  room for small kids.

3)  capacity for cargo.  Boat will be fine with you, kids, wife...or with 6 adults with cocktails when the kids are with the grandparents?

4) Speed.  Not crazy, but totally adequate.  We've been 15knots with 4 adults in 20kt wind.  However, sailing at 7 to 10 knots effortlessly when it's blowing 12 to 15 is just awesome.

5) It's just small enough to man handle on and off the beach but not to roll it up on rollers or dolly.

6)  If you can keep it anchored or on a dock for the season, then you are in business....it's minutes from stepping on to sailing.  With the lazy jacks on the main, and roller furler on jib.  We usually step on, throw the gear in the center, back the boat out and get sailing. We then organize while we are in motion.  This is 100% against how I was used to sailing, but the large surface area of the deck and all the control lines run to the rails allows this kind of behavior

 

if you are going to toss the maine cat 22 in, i ll counter with the tomcat 6.2 and its much faster setup and break down times. same sort of price point, but the possibility to buy new (i think)       https://tomcatboats.com/tc_62_overview/

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tomfl said:

I got the impression your price point was a lot lower than it seems to be now.  I would look for something like a Super Tramp, a nice little tri Ian designed early on.  

Sailed one several times in Naptown. Loved it, wife didn't - no place for a 'private' porta-potty  Fun sailor,  would make a good boat for kids on board.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll throw a Nacra 5.8 into the mix, lots of buoyancy, plenty of room inside the hulls, just buy big round portholes and put them in where you won’t want to sit, no boom so easy to get under the sail, plenty of power to safely sail with you all on board but easily depower by pulling boards up, rudders are pulled down by rope to cleat so easy to raise and lower rudders, very robust boat, heaps around with cheap parts. Safe boat to sail with family members I always sail with my wife or daughter as crew

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 12:26 PM, basketcase said:

if you are going to toss the maine cat 22 in, i ll counter with the tomcat 6.2 and its much faster setup and break down times. same sort of price point, but the possibility to buy new (i think)       https://tomcatboats.com/tc_62_overview/

Absolutely!  A great option.  This thread is pretty sweet with a lot of good info and options.

Link to post
Share on other sites

F18's are so cheap now that you would be far better off getting an older F18, they are built like tanks, sail pretty well and fit the smaller main and jib that is available, you would have a fast but modernish boat, with resale value.

The only downside is their weight but then you can't have toughness, cheapness and lightweight at the same time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Waynemarlow said:

 

The only downside is their weight but then you can't have toughness, cheapness and lightweight at the same time.

I would say having dagger boards  may not be optimal for a family boat. sure it can work but it is another item that can cause injury in a bow stuff or capsize

and f18 boards and rudders are very sharp too - i would avoid them if at all possible and is why i own 2 boats with centerboards

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MN3 said:

I would say having dagger boards  may not be optimal for a family boat. sure it can work but it is another item that can cause injury in a bow stuff or capsize

and f18 boards and rudders are very sharp too - i would avoid them if at all possible and is why i own 2 boats with centerboards

I did say old F18 and the likely hood of sharp is. Never the less Daggerboards are not all bad, in a blow you can lift them 1/2 way up and it will quieten the boat down some what. Fit a a 2:1 halyard with a proper pulley at the top ( make sure you look up how to rig the halyard otherwise you will put twice the additional downward pressure on the mast rather than 1 1/2 times the pressure ) , a couple of reef grommet holes and you even have a solid boom to reef the main.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2020 at 12:39 PM, KC375 said:

This is just one of those things you need to ask the French.

Set google language to francaise and start searching with various combinations of Raid, Cat, Catmaran, Camping...they do all the time. They do it alone, they do it on mass:

Raid-cata-02.jpg

Raid catamaran de sport

95.jpg

 

 

That would be "en masse"  It's Franche you know

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, PatsyQPatsy said:

That would be "en masse"  It's Franche you know

Yes French is one of the many languages I misspell in

I prefer to think of it as the creative assembly of letters

If The Bard signed his own name with six different combinations of letters who are we to quibble over such picayune matters.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, KC375 said:

Yes French is one of the many languages I misspell in

I prefer to think of it as the creative assembly of letters

 

If The Bard signed his own name with six different combinations of letters who are we to quibble over such picayune matters.

 

Hey, it started at the top of this topic with "freindly"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, English is such an intuitive language.

What could be easier than i before e except after c

But of course to be really prescriptive you would have to go with

I before e, except after c
Or when sounded as 'a' as in 'neighbor' and 'weigh'
Unless the 'c' is part of a 'sh' sound as in 'glacier'
Or it appears in comparatives and superlatives like 'fancier'
And also except when the vowels are sounded as 'e' as in 'seize'
Or 'i' as in 'height'
Or also in '-ing' inflections ending in '-e' as in 'cueing'
Or in compound words as in 'albeit'
Or occasionally in technical words with strong etymological links to their parent languages as in 'cuneiform'
Or in other numerous and random exceptions such as 'science', 'forfeit', and 'weird'.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2020 at 4:22 AM, Waynemarlow said:

F18's are so cheap now that you would be far better off getting an older F18, they are built like tanks, sail pretty well and fit the smaller main and jib that is available, you would have a fast but modernish boat, with resale value.

The only downside is their weight but then you can't have toughness, cheapness and lightweight at the same time.

Huh?  anybody else find this to be a contradiction?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why a contradiction, the older F18’s have fallen to such a low level that they have reached a level where they are not likely to fall much more. Buy it, sail it, do basic maintenance and sell it a couple of years later when you realise that small beach cats are simply not going to fulfill your original brief for the same money, use that money then for a deposit on a Corsair 24 if you haven’t already put the wife and kids off. Far better in my view to just buy the Corsair now before you do put the wife off 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Waynemarlow said:

Why a contradiction, the older F18’s have fallen to such a low level that they have reached a level where they are not likely to fall much more. Buy it, sail it, do basic maintenance and sell it a couple of years later when you realise that small beach cats are simply not going to fulfill your original brief for the same money, use that money then for a deposit on a Corsair 24 if you haven’t already put the wife and kids off. Far better in my view to just buy the Corsair now before you do put the wife off 

Concur it isn't a contradiction assuming buying used.

Corsair 24 (F24 1 or 2) is a family friendly boat, but certainly not a beach cat.  OP wants to camp out (on land, island...), not camp in (or on) the boat.  Can't pull a F242 onto the beach very far, gotta anchor or tie to tree if one is handy and if there's surf--could be yikes.  Can't tow F242 with a car (well, I did with a MBZ but it eventually broke the transmission).  I enjoyed my F242 (nearly 2 tons to tow) and my Hobie Getaway (less than half ton to tow)...but way different experiences.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2020 at 2:53 PM, Waynemarlow said:

 Far better in my view to just buy the Corsair now before you do put the wife off 

My wife has been camp cruising on small monohulls for years and hasn't been put off yet.  Are you suggesting the multi hull experience is going to be that much worse? 

Can't see it, my wife is no stranger to small boat sailing or camping.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TBW said:

My wife has been camp cruising on small monohulls for years and hasn't been put off yet.  Are you suggesting the multi hull experience is going to be that much worse? 

Can't see it, my wife is no stranger to small boat sailing or camping.

Yup, its goner be very wet, constantly wet just from the extra speed hitting waves, its goner be cold because you're going that much faster and you're wet, you need to be able to trapeze to be able to get off the deck ( to avoid getting wet ) which constantly gets wet as waves wash through, hope the kids like being wet. Unless you are a very skilled skipper who knows beach cats and is prepared to constantly get one hull out of the water ( think inclined deck, just what the kids need to hang on ) you're not much faster than a mono, if at all in lighter air. There's a quantum learning curve from mono sailing to multihull sailing to get the best from beachcats, not every one understands the need for speed to get the best vmg from apparent wind sailing.

But and its the big but, you go every where at 3 times the speed, the adrenaline factor is 3 times and beach cats are just so much fun to sail, as a camper loaded up, nah stick with the comfy mono as I bet your wife and kids will find other things to do when asked, are we going camping on the each cat.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Waynemarlow said:

There's a quantum learning curve from mono sailing to multihull sailing to get the best from beachcats, not every one understands the need for speed to get the best vmg from apparent wind sailing.

 

  I don't recall saying I was new to multi hull sailing, I just wanted recomendations for a family oriented beach cat (dryer, more stable, loose footed, wings, like a Getaway).  An F24 or similar, is not what I am interested in.

It really does look like a Getaway is my best option if I go the beach cat route.  If I don't go the beach cat route, I will stick to monohull dinghies.  I have no interest in a boat that needs a slip, mooring or an outboard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Waynemarlow said:

Yup, its goner be very wet, constantly wet just from the extra speed hitting waves, its goner be cold because you're going that much faster and you're wet, you need to be able to trapeze to be able to get off the deck ( to avoid getting wet ) which constantly gets wet as waves wash through, hope the kids like being wet. Unless you are a very skilled skipper who knows beach cats and is prepared to constantly get one hull out of the water ( think inclined deck, just what the kids need to hang on ) you're not much faster than a mono, if at all in lighter air. There's a quantum learning curve from mono sailing to multihull sailing to get the best from beachcats, not every one understands the need for speed to get the best vmg from apparent wind sailing.

But and its the big but, you go every where at 3 times the speed, the adrenaline factor is 3 times and beach cats are just so much fun to sail, as a camper loaded up, nah stick with the comfy mono as I bet your wife and kids will find other things to do when asked, are we going camping on the each cat.

 

I sailed as crew yesterday on a mystere 6.0 and didn't get a drop of water on me in 8 -12 knots (nice day out)

getting  wet on a beachcat has lots of variables... make/model, wings vs no wings, water conditions, skipper skills

some cats are much wetter than others - and if you have wings ... it's a non issue

 

Side note: Many locations on the water rent getaways - to the OP - perhaps you can rent one prior to making a final decision 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TBW said:

  I don't recall saying I was new to multi hull sailing, I just wanted recomendations for a family oriented beach cat (dryer, more stable, loose footed, wings, like a Getaway).  An F24 or similar, is not what I am interested in.

It really does look like a Getaway is my best option if I go the beach cat route.  If I don't go the beach cat route, I will stick to monohull dinghies.  I have no interest in a boat that needs a slip, mooring or an outboard.

I picked up an older supercat 17 a year or so back. One on the most fun boats ive owned.  Boomless and boardless. Double trap. Heaps of space, no storage. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2020 at 9:23 AM, MultiThom said:

 One owner did cut holes in the tops for camping gear (with suitable closures.  

There's a topic on this at the hobie Getaway forum about sail camping.  https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=63751

The owner gave the part number for the hatch he used to seal the hole for storage.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, basketcase said:

I picked up an older supercat 17 a year or so back. One on the most fun boats ive owned.  Boomless and boardless. Double trap. Heaps of space, no storage. 

THAT is a wet boat - 

Very fast and fun for sure but one of the wetter cats i have been on
I have sailed the 17 and 19 (some 19's have boards - not all - same exact hull shape with and without)

 

the tramp of a sc17 is not that big unless you have a front tramp  - still a great boat for sure

Link to post
Share on other sites

Renting is a good idea.  I sailed a resort Hobie Wave for a week or so in Antigua and Rented a Hobie 15 for two weeks in Cuba.  Think both are more or less smaller scale Getaways without wings.  Was pretty impressed with each, especially the Hobie 15. 

Had the Hobie 15 out in some pretty good wind on the Atlantic side of Cuba and it was really a pretty dry boat.  Took spray clawing out through the surf, but, pretty dry once through the surf.  The performance was not bad too.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone,

Todd here from Nacra North America... interesting that no one has mentioned the Nacra recreational boats, the Nacra 460, Nacra 500, or Nacra 570.

We make these boats specifically for family recreational boats but a lot of people don't know about them.

I'm used to racing F18s, but I can tell you how many people come back from the Caribbean, buy a Wave or Getaway and call us bored after a year.

The 460 starts at around 10K (less than a new Hobie 16) and with a lot of these used boats, by the time you get new sails, rigging, and etc. then often a new boat is worthwhile.

We have dealers around the country and a USA warehouse where we stock boats.  

 

Anyone care to chime in why you wouldn't consider one of these boats? I'm honestly curious. Is it just the price? 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, wildtsail7 said:

Hi everyone,

Anyone care to chime in why you wouldn't consider one of these boats? I'm honestly curious. Is it just the price? 

 

Price wouldn't be an issue for me.  But you lose a lot of space without the front tramp (570 vs getaway here).  "family friendly" means not so tippy, so the extra sail area is really a negative on the 570 (try hiking out with a pair of toddlers).  And the getaway can be really loaded up with people and stuff and not go much slower.    Both weigh in about 400 pounds so about equal in handling out of the water.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2020 at 5:28 PM, wildtsail7 said:

 

Anyone care to chime in why you wouldn't consider one of these boats? I'm honestly curious. Is it just the price? 

 

 

OP said "Wondering what some of the models of beach cats are that would be good for 2 adults, 2 small children and maybe a bit of camping gear.  On the more affordable end of the spectrum."

 

460, Nacra 500 gonna hold 4 people and camping gear?

new 570 is 15k ish? 

any of these models have wings?

that's why i didn't recommend any of these boats

Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate the input!

A Nacra 500 can hold 2 adults, 2 sailors and camping gear. I think there are other elements to consider prior to considering a bigger boat (like a 19' boat recommended above) that can easily be too much boat for a family. I've seen 5 adults on a 460... it's not pretty but it sails and is much easier to handle on and off the water.

A new 500 is $13,900... a Getaway is around 10K.  I guess it's interesting to see what is considered "affordable".  And how much time you're willing to spend fixing an old boat.

I also personally feel wings can be dangerous for kids.  I've seen people capsize with them and got hurt falling into them then had a hard time getting away from them.  That being said, wings definitely can make it nice for families and we've been exploring it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wildtsail7 said:

I appreciate the input!

I also personally feel wings can be dangerous for kids.  ...

They can be dangerous especially when moving them out and in--little fingers can get caught / pinched.  Dunno about capsizes...that's another nice thing about a Getaway, they are very stable-at least for my 200 pounds sailing solo in up to 20 kt winds.  I did add a reef point to the mainsail, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wings give extra hardware to be careful near for sure - all parts of a boat can be dangerous for little kids fingers, and adults as well
Wings can be dangerous in a capsize and in a pitch pole and in a sudden stop (catch a crab trap float, or hit a sand or other)

so can booms, hulls, lines, and foils and anything else that can be fallen into, onto and tangled in

Yes wings are in-line so they are extra hazardous in a violent capsize (i say violent because a "regular" capsize should give people enough heads up to be hanging on and ready for it)

all the more reason to not have little kids on a beach cat unless there is someone dedicated to protecting them at all times and even then - what happens if that adult is hurt? what if there is a capsize and 2 kids fall off - how does 1 adult care for them?

 

I do not support bringing kids who can't swim on board really any vessel with any chance of capsize 
I have had minors on my cat that were not well behaved. We turned around and went back to sure - i can't have crew onboard that wont listen to me  

As someone who has been island camping now for 12 years in a row, with lots of friends. I can't see a family being comfortable on a small cat with gear - nor does it sound safe if the weather pics up 

As i mentioned above, i found. camping via a catamaran as not very safe for me and my dog. Overweight and gear everywhere is not a safe way to sail.
So much so i stopped doing it and purchased a small v-bow (14') that can handle the gear and my dog

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is turning into a “can I sail to the Bahamas?” thread. Let’s assume you Always make your kids wear life jackets and you can open you eyes underwater in murky crap and hold your breath for 25 seconds in said water. Buy the biggest cheapest damn cat you can drive to with a decent trailer and then put wings on it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Geese said:

“can I sail to the Bahamas?” 

No really.  I asked a simple question.  Any comparable boats to the Getaway.

So far the answer appears to be not really, but there might be a few other models to consider.

I didn't ask for advice on whether it was a good idea, or possible.  

Some aren't comfortable with kids on small boats.  I am.  Either way, it wasn't something I asked about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TBW said:

No really.  I asked a simple question.  Any comparable boats to the Getaway.

TBW - No you didn't
You asked a very broad and open ended question "Wondering what some of the models of beach cats are that would be good for 2 adults, 2 small children and maybe a bit of camping gear. "

 

 

If your gonna give crap out about the way people answer your questions, and you are looking for generic responses like "buy anything big and cheap".  i will keep my experiences to my self when you ask in the future

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, MN3 said:

 

 

 

If your gonna give crap out about the way people answer your questions, and you are looking for generic responses like "buy anything big and cheap".  i will keep my experiences to my self when you ask in the future

 

Didn't mean to offend.  But my kids have been sailing small boats with me since they were very small.  I sail both monohulls and multihulls.  The lower powered, stable, beach cats with loose footed mains that I have sailed are tamer and more stable than a lot of monohull dinghies I have owned.  I did read your suggestion to get a power boat, I have no doubt it works very well for camping but it just isn't what I am interested in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, TBW said:

Didn't mean to offend.  But my kids have been sailing small boats with me since they were very small.  I sail both monohulls and multihulls.  The lower powered, stable, beach cats with loose footed mains that I have sailed are tamer and more stable than a lot of monohull dinghies I have owned.  I did read your suggestion to get a power boat, I have no doubt it works very well for camping but it just isn't what I am interested in.

Some folks are easy to offend.  One of the many things I learned in the Navy was to Answer The F'ing Question (ATFQ) -something they hammer in Nuc school...but politicians in general and a lot of people (my wife included) feel it is more important to offer their view rather than ATFQ.  It is a continual challenge.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Side note: 

I am not / was not offended -  

Quote

 I did read your suggestion to get a power boat, I have no doubt it works very well for camping but it just isn't what I am interested in.

and i was not "suggesting" you should get a powered boat

I was conveying my experience with island camping and specifically said "i found. camping via a catamaran as not very safe for me and my dog"

YMMV

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Some interesting input and a fav topic of mine so I will add my thoughts . Keeping in mind the "affordable" price range.... On the larger boat end of the spectrum Stiletto 23 and Reynolds 21 mentioned would be at the top of my list. (cabins=mainly for storage, camping on nets or shore, those bunks are coffins and although usable in a pinch, probably hard for the family to accept) Mainecat 22 and tomcat etc won't likely be found cheap.

To your original question, re-beachcat...you're looking to carry a family of 4 plus gear, and while the getaway etc could do it- quite overloaded & not going to be ideal for too much longer as the kids grow up.  I'll make the assumptions that you're comfortable with the conditions, familiar with the boat, and not pushing limits at all. So for a true beachcat I'd second the suggestion for boats with wings (OR a wider 10-12ft beam for more net space and higher stability). Since you're in eastern Canada the obvious choice is probably Mystere 6.0 due to availability (they were built around there somewhere and nice boats). Another old favorite not yet mentioned that might be worth VERY strong consideration if you come across one is the Supercat 20- although no wings in stock form the 10ft beam and larger payload/capacity of the hulls are about as good as you can get for putting lots of weight/people onboard and still going fast and having a blast. The "king" of the 80's beach cat's, Bill Roberts design, and precursor to the arc-21 , 22.  Tornado and Inter 20 often can be found pretty cheap & would be also worth a look depending on conditions where you sail, skill levels of your crew and ages etc. I'd personally sway away from the "newer" hobie ~20 footers with wings due to "bang for the buck" - higher weight/less racing potential, and used prices on the higher end.. but they could be a good fit as well.  The 21se might be just the ticket with built in storage, wings, and short rig although I haven't seen too many come up at bargain prices.  The Prindle 19 is also an older boat that can handle a bit of extra weight, and wings were (I believe) a factory (or aftermarket) option at one point. Hobie 18 might be worth a look -mag or sx 18 had wings or retrofit to any regular 18, plenty of boats and parts around, and perhaps a good option for the kids to keep on sailing or racing on their own as they grow up.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2020 at 6:58 PM, illan_voyager said:

Some interesting input and a fav topic of mine so I will add my thoughts . Keeping in mind the "affordable" price range.... On the larger boat end of the spectrum Stiletto 23 and Reynolds 21 mentioned would be at the top of my list. (cabins=mainly for storage, camping on nets or shore, those bunks are coffins and although usable in a pinch, probably hard for the family to accept) Mainecat 22 and tomcat etc won't likely be found cheap.

To your original question, re-beachcat...you're looking to carry a family of 4 plus gear, and while the getaway etc could do it- quite overloaded & not going to be ideal for too much longer as the kids grow up.  I'll make the assumptions that you're comfortable with the conditions, familiar with the boat, and not pushing limits at all. So for a true beachcat I'd second the suggestion for boats with wings (OR a wider 10-12ft beam for more net space and higher stability). Since you're in eastern Canada the obvious choice is probably Mystere 6.0 due to availability (they were built around there somewhere and nice boats). Another old favorite not yet mentioned that might be worth VERY strong consideration if you come across one is the Supercat 20- although no wings in stock form the 10ft beam and larger payload/capacity of the hulls are about as good as you can get for putting lots of weight/people onboard and still going fast and having a blast. The "king" of the 80's beach cat's, Bill Roberts design, and precursor to the arc-21 , 22.  Tornado and Inter 20 often can be found pretty cheap & would be also worth a look depending on conditions where you sail, skill levels of your crew and ages etc. I'd personally sway away from the "newer" hobie ~20 footers with wings due to "bang for the buck" - higher weight/less racing potential, and used prices on the higher end.. but they could be a good fit as well.  The 21se might be just the ticket with built in storage, wings, and short rig although I haven't seen too many come up at bargain prices.  The Prindle 19 is also an older boat that can handle a bit of extra weight, and wings were (I believe) a factory (or aftermarket) option at one point. Hobie 18 might be worth a look -mag or sx 18 had wings or retrofit to any regular 18, plenty of boats and parts around, and perhaps a good option for the kids to keep on sailing or racing on their own as they grow up.

 

 

 

A supercat 20 is a beast of a machine. I may know of one for sale in Toronto......it may be different from the one you have as a project boat, or it may be the same one.........

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...

I'm glad you posed this question!  I'm looking for ideas for almost the same situation people-wise. 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs (although I would be willing to leave them home for a day trip).  We are small thought  the 2 adults are 5"4, and 5", 145 & 125, kids are 12 & 10 but also small and lightweight.  I need something to fit all of us AND something that I can take out on my own with the two kids (I'm the 5" shrimp).  So if you have gottern your boat sinc the last post, I'd be curious to know what you got and how it's working out.  Otherwise, I'm open to suggestions! Thanks! Patricia ...PS. We're in the MD/DC/VA area

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still think the Getaway is the better boat for families.  However, they are out of production until later this year (so they say--I wouldn't hold my breath).  The 2017-2020 models were discontinued (raked bows were a problem in manufacturing).  Finding a good used one is difficult.  So, if you want to sail this year (2021), look for something else.  Get a couple wetas and have family races.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hobiedd97 said:

Patricia, There's a Hobie Tiger with wings for sale at thebeachcats.com in the Washington DC area. Worth checking out.

A Windrider 17 trimaran is another idea. Very low risk of capsize, decent performance, able to carry the whole crew. Frequently available on craigslist across the US.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites