FHP Trooper Joseph Bullock, DTS

MARTIN COUNTY, Fla. — The Florida Highway Patrol says Trooper Joseph Bullock, a 19-year veteran of the agency, was shot and killed on Wednesday in the line of duty on Interstate 95 in Martin County.

FHP said that around 10:15 a.m., the 42-year-old trooper was assisting a disabled vehicle in the northbound lanes of I-95 near mile marker 107, just south of Martin Highway.

A suspect who was with the disabled vehicle opened fire, shooting and killing Trooper Bullock.

"A Riviera Beach police officer who was passing by engaged the suspect, fatally shooting him," said Col. Gene Spaulding with FHP.

The name of the suspect has not been released, and it's unclear why he shot the trooper.

"It's a tragic loss for the Florida Highway Patrol family," said Col. Spaulding, who added that Trooper Bullock is survived by his parents and two sisters. "It will take a long time for the Florida Highway Patrol to heal."

• 2 weeks later...

Remember situations like this when you see officers approach what appears to be an innocent situation with extreme caution. 

It is sad that even an officer who I stopping to assist someone needs to approach like they may be assaulted, but it is far to common that they are assaulted. This one made the news, but I personally know other officers, and I myself have been assaulted when I stopped to assisted a broke down driver. 

It's about the guns.

My son is a cop (Mountie) and has been for years - currently he is a training officer.

He has never had to approach a routine traffic stop with his weapon out.

It's like that because we don't have the NRA and nearly 400,000,000 weapons in the hands of the populace.

• Like 1