What’s your favorite anchorage’s ( pic’s)

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Pinkerton Islands, west coast Vancouver Island Princess Louisa Inlet, BC Dixie Cove, Hohoae Island, west coast Vancouver Island Blue Lips Cove, Amai Inlet, west co

The cove around the corner from my house is very popular in the general Annapolis area. It's where I go when I'm desperate to spend a night on the boat but don't have time to go anywhere further afiel

Some years ago on the West Coast of Norway. A cove on an Island, about the only place shallow enough to anchor, and far from civilisation. Norway is truly a magical place to travel by boat. And quite 

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Latadjust said:

Is that a daily thing, like thermals,  or a seasonal thing like Spring/Fall?

Except for the West Coast of Vancouver island,  it's a "How lucky to you feel?" thing in the PNW.  (Hint: Don't put all yer money on a single bet...)

2 hours ago, Veeger said:

Except for the West Coast of Vancouver island,  it's a "How lucky to you feel?" thing in the PNW.  (Hint: Don't put all yer money on a single bet...)

We sailed very rarely on the west coast, it was an amazingly calm experience and totally at variance from expectation and repute. We expected way more wind and wave action.

dinghy+jdf.jpg

Back on topic, we spent a few days in this anchorage behind Matthews Island, outside Winter Harbour in Quatsino Sound. Beautiful place when you could see it.

fog3.jpg

fog1.jpg

• Like 4

My west coast boat in Montague Marine park.  Great hiking (sauntering).

My Fresh water boat at our farm in Ontario, great spot for looking at old lake schooners on the bottom.

P_20190501_081828_vHDR_Auto.jpg

FANDANGO.jpg

That would be the east coast equivalent of California's Catalina Island. The only destination within an easy day sail for roughly 5 million horny Jimmy Buffet fans to overnight at.

24 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

2aad09cda614c17c25456db42efb8509.jpg

Ha! Looks like 4th of July weekend.  Not typical.

Ajax, during the week it is not too bad, even July and August.  Weekends... pretty crowded, but I've never not found a decent spot. 

Red, the shade over the cockpit was just a nylon tarp. My cruising budget back then was not large. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, viktor said:

That's a sweet looking little boat. Any one have more info? 

Dayum!!! I crewed a boat up to Bras Dor Lake from Maine 2 summers back. I left the boat at St Peters because we had pushed so hard in bad weather to get there I was a little burned out. The owner and other crewman were sailing on to Baddeck and  really pushed me to sail on with them. Kinda wish I had now.

Ford’s Terror, Endicott Arm, Alaska.  No pics with me.  You have to live the experience getting in there and being there.

Ice bits floating in the water.  Nail-biting entry into a narrow fjord with uncertain (poorly predicted in books) timing of slack (full ebb or flood literally creates whitewater, whirlpools, etc: very dangerous). Poorly charted rocks - you watch the depth sounder change, suddenly rapidly, and your heart is in your throat.  Very high sheer granite, glacier-carved walls around you.  A sharp turn, constricted entry.  Ignore the chart - it’s not really accurate. Then you’re in.  A landlocked bay surrounded by snowy mountains.  A long low beach at low tide.  Absolutely no one for days and days.  We never saw anyone, coming in or leaving. No VHF reception. A whale very quietly entered and surfaced nearby.  The prawn trap I had dropped yielded prawns for dinner.  And, on Father’s Day, we broke out the ship’s large plastic garbage bags, hiked up nearby snowy slopes, put in our legs up to our butts, and used them as “sleds” to snow slide for a few hours!

Stunning place, but I wonder if I’d have the guts to go back in there.  Nail-biting entry, not terribly confidence-inspiring if something fucked up there...

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Ford’s Terror, Endicott Arm, Alaska.  No pics with me.  You have to live the experience getting in there and being there.

Ice bits floating in the water.  Nail-biting entry into a narrow fjord with uncertain (poorly predicted in books) timing of slack (full ebb or flood literally creates whitewater, whirlpools, etc: very dangerous). Poorly charted rocks - you watch the depth sounder change, suddenly rapidly, and your heart is in your throat.  Very high sheer granite, glacier-carved walls around you.  A sharp turn, constricted entry.  Ignore the chart - it’s not really accurate. Then you’re in.  A landlocked bay surrounded by snowy mountains.  A long low beach at low tide.  Absolutely no one for days and days.  We never saw anyone, coming in or leaving. No VHF reception. A whale very quietly entered and surfaced nearby.  The prawn trap I had dropped yielded prawns for dinner.  And, on Father’s Day, we broke out the ship’s large plastic garbage bags, hiked up nearby snowy slopes, put in our legs up to our butts, and used them as “sleds” to snow slide for a few hours!

Stunning place, but I wonder if I’d have the guts to go back in there.  Nail-biting entry, not terribly confidence-inspiring if something fucked up there...

It's a pretty neat place.  We anchored 'outside' the reversing rapids but kayaked in with the last of the flood and out with the early ebb----prior to the Class IV rapids that occurs at maximum exchange!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My club's man-made 7 hectare island - Clube dos Jangadeiros, Porto Alegre, Brasil.

Drone pic by my friend bruno pjr.

Ilha Janga.jpeg

• Like 5

Since Willin and Jake are here...

Another of the drone shots at south minerva ( I put one up in the not sailing thread recently)

And the other is Fulaga in the Southern Lau, Fiji.  Minerva is just a great place to arrive after 5 days at sea for us, quite an unusual feeling anchored in the calm behind just the reef, might be 2 or 4 metre sea state outside. Been there in that,  but not this day.

Fulaga is just the crown jewel.

Screenshot_2020-03-08-14-38-34.png

Screenshot_2020-03-08-14-34-57.png

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

My favourite spot is where I drop the hook next time! Seriously. Looking at all pictures posted, my next drop wherever that might be is the best. 

For a minute, look at it differently. Where is the worst place? When I of whatever reason can't sail around exploring new places to drop my anchor that would be my worst day. Therefore, my best anchorage is where I drop it next time.  It might not be as exotic and nice as most of the pictures posted, but it is my best anchorage. We can discuss places we have been and places we like to visit, but nothing beats my next anchorage. 

Keep exploring, thank goodness, I got a windless. 

• Like 1

Lake (fake) Pedder Tasmania.

No photo description available.

Night one:

An advantage of trailer-sailers (and no tide)!

Night two:

I do very little "cruising" - but will have to get back up here one day, maybe with the family... this was late summer, and the place (apart from a few kayakers near the town) was deserted!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

Lake (fake) Pedder Tasmania.

Night one:

An advantage of trailer-sailers (and no tide)!

Night two:

I do very little "cruising" - but will have to get back up here one day, maybe with the family... this was late summer, and the place (apart from a few kayakers near the town) was deserted!

Nice, what boat is that?

13 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

Elliott 7, circa 1996. https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/elliott-7 - I'm very close to buying a bigger, more ocean orientated boat, but have become very attached to my E7, and am not sure I will be able to part with her!

Who ever said that you're limited to having one boat?

FKT

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2020 at 10:42 AM, Ishmael said:

The Octopus Islands, again. Someday, we'll be back there. Probably not this year...

iUMcu27.jpg

Bkhaxvt.jpg

25 feet deep all the way across.

Pretty bummed, worked 7 days a week all summer on the house and didn't get north last summer, boat is ready w/ new solar, tidied up and fueled up, about 12 miles from the cheese curtain but I see Trudeau isn't talking about welcoming us yanks for a while.  Still hopeful to hit Pendrell Sound, Octopus Islands, Grace Hbr. and with enough time the Broughtons etc. but may be a fall cruise if that.  We have amazing cruising in our backyards and will gunk hole around in the San Juans and maybe go south although crossing the Straits of Juan de Fuca is a big step towards the City that we try and avoid like Covid 19!

On 2/8/2020 at 7:04 AM, LMI said:

I have anchored many places far and wide but this well worn photo is of a back bay anchorage close to home.  It was, is, and always will be my favorite. 

IMG_3506.jpg

Where is that? Looks desolate

On 3/9/2020 at 12:32 AM, JBE said:

Since Willin and Jake are here...

Another of the drone shots at south minerva ( I put one up in the not sailing thread recently)

And the other is Fulaga in the Southern Lau, Fiji.  Minerva is just a great place to arrive after 5 days at sea for us, quite an unusual feeling anchored in the calm behind just the reef, might be 2 or 4 metre sea state outside. Been there in that,  but not this day.

Fulaga is just the crown jewel.

Screenshot_2020-03-08-14-38-34.png

Screenshot_2020-03-08-14-34-57.png

Many years back we met a cruising couple in the bar in Savusavu that had been circumnavigating until they sailed into the Lau Group. They said the cruising was so spectacular there they abandoned the circumnav and had spent the prior 3 years gunkholing there, coming up to Vanua Levu periodically to make repairs or take a season off.  I'd love to see more pix if ya got 'em, please!

• Like 2

Lots of good gunkholes have been posted on this thread. I looked up many on Google Earth and have saved the lat/long of a few. Here's mine. Cape Charles, VA

19399759_10105253084698053_8735757825513595453_n.jpg

19420429_10105253085286873_5913459858775470140_n.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Damn Ish:  I am ready to go, spent time in the Juans a week ago (live on one but out and about on my yacht), boat is fueled, just need to provision and escape across the Cheese Curtain.  Still trying to be optimistic about going north this summer.  You keep posting some of my favorite places.

On 4/18/2020 at 3:15 PM, Mizzmo said:

Lots of good gunkholes have been posted on this thread. I looked up many on Google Earth and have saved the lat/long of a few. Here's mine. Cape Charles, VA

When I sailed solo around Delmarva, I was amazed at how the trees, birds and other creatures changed as you sailed south. I never would have guessed at such stark environmental demarcations in such a small area as the Chesapeake Bay.  By the time I got to Cape Charles, everything was very different than Annapolis.

Baltimore and Annapolis are more like southern Pennsylvania. Cape Charles feels more like South Carolina. Well, maybe that's a bit of exaggeration but it is different.

Once I sailed past the mouth of the Potomac, the bay seemed very wide and very wild. I'm itching to go again.

On 4/18/2020 at 3:15 PM, Mizzmo said:

There's awesome flounder fishing on the Bayside channel at Cape Charles - go up the channel above the high-rise portion of the CBB, to the 1st red buoy, and drift back down toward the bridge, bumping your fluke rig w/a squid trailer along the shallow edge of the channel.  Great place, and nice pic, thanks! 

• 1 month later...

Some years ago on the West Coast of Norway. A cove on an Island, about the only place shallow enough to anchor, and far from civilisation. Norway is truly a magical place to travel by boat. And quite a bit away from home (1000 NM) on the East Coast of Ireland in a bilge keel 27 footer. (Trapper 500, really a C&C 27 Mk1). This year, we can but dream....

img283LR.jpg

• Like 7
8 hours ago, Bilge Boy said:

Some years ago on the West Coast of Norway. A cove on an Island, about the only place shallow enough to anchor, and far from civilisation. Norway is truly a magical place to travel by boat. And quite a bit away from home (1000 NM) on the East Coast of Ireland in a bilge keel 27 footer. (Trapper 500, really a C&C 27 Mk1). This year, we can but dream....

img283LR.jpg

Very pretty, and a long way in a 27-footer, no?

• Like 1
On 4/29/2020 at 9:25 AM, MR.CLEAN said:

Do you guys get winter flounder and summer flounder(fluke) like further North, or are they all fluke?  If winters, what is their season in the bay?

Missed this earlier - sorry bud.   Flounder in the Bay has a season governed by the VA DGIF.   It runs May-Oct, so I can't answer your question, and in all honesty?  I think we used Fluke/Flounder interchangeably.   IIRC - All Flukes are Flounders, but not all flounders are flukes.    

One more.

New Years Eve 2019 at Mansion House Bay, Bon Accord Harbour, Kawau Island, Hauraki Gulf , NZ

See map of the Gulf for any American sailors not familiar with the area.

The house was purcahsed by Sir Geroge Grey in 1862, first Governor of New Zealand when country was still a dominion of Old Blighty.

He introduced Wallabies (a small type of Kangaroo from Australia) on the Island, and  they are seen as a pest as they are a threat to all the indigenous flora and fauna on the Island to this day.  Thanks Aussies!

Cheers

Screen_Shot_2020-06-06_at_3_41.31_AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 3.50.51 AM.png

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...
18 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

This Waimea Bay?

image.png.3a3f5219861ffc54341aa3967f1759b1.png

THIS Waimea Bay...[gulp] :-)

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/09/25/breaking-news/shark-warning-signs-posted-at-kaimana-beach-waimea-bay-after-sightings/

(Summer vs. northerly storm swell and surf waves...)

E796ABDD-9FB5-4954-A60C-8C0D5DA417F6.jpeg

There’s even a nice sing-along:  

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

This Waimea Bay?

image.png.3a3f5219861ffc54341aa3967f1759b1.png

Yep...in the summer it's a pond. A big pod of spinner dolphins comes through twice a day typically, the water clarity is amazing, and it's a great place to swim and stand up paddle. 

1 hour ago, Kolibri said:

image.thumb.png.91c94297b62ab390228ccb8f54e6e2d6.png

Waimea Bay, Oahu is one of my favorite summer time anchorages. 

What's the time frame for decent summer Ancorages there?  We have Hawaii as a maybe in the future for a return to PNW, hard to fine much info on staying there for a bit.  It sounds mostly non boat friendly from the online stuff but the reality is usually a little different.

43 minutes ago, SASSAFRASS said:

What's the time frame for decent summer Ancorages there?  We have Hawaii as a maybe in the future for a return to PNW, hard to fine much info on staying there for a bit.  It sounds mostly non boat friendly from the online stuff but the reality is usually a little different.

There are good anchorages year round in Hawaii. You just need to pay very close attention to the surf reports. In the winter months the south sides of Molokai and Maui are quite calm. You also get to see a lot of humpback whales while day sailing. The leeward coast of Oahu can also be pretty calm, but it regularly gets wrap around when the NW swells are big. The closer you get to Makaha the bigger the waves. The best time of year to explore the islands is between mid April and late September. You need to pay close attention to the weather and surf reports more towards the edges of that window. This book is pretty good for giving you good info on the anchorages, sailing conditions, local culture, etc. There are many good anchorages not covered in the book and you can find those using a combination of satellite images on Google maps, nautical charts, and talking with local sailors.

image.png.69d9b76872bc06e55373529d536f3175.png

I'm headed to Oahu in early November to close on a house. While there I plan to explore Kahana Bay via kayak to determine if I can get in there with Kolibri. It definitely looks like I can do it with plenty of room to spare. The valley above this bay is amazingly beautiful.

image.png.d74c814752d18077d67c435d06826c8a.png

Not so much and anchorage so much but our outstation in Elliott Bay, Gambier Is. BC. No roads to speak of. No running water or electricity except a genset or solar. I had a Stay-vacation there. 10 days straight and likely bugger off from Tuesday until the following weekend. We seem to be on a cusp of an "indigenous summer" here. It will get up to the mid to hi 20's c. (about 80f).

_IMG7202 (1280x854) (2).jpg

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, Jim in Halifax said:

And beautiful bullrails!

Basically built by members. Lots of hands-on labour and a lot of real engineers. A very "can do" attitude. Not the idle rich or anything. It was a homestead/retirement home and we have 40 acres to play with including an old apple orchard. Trials all over you can get lost for hours. 

1 hour ago, SASSAFRASS said:

Also very highly recommend you find online "Noodles notes on Hawaiian sailing" (or something like that) FREE, very concise, Noodle is a well known race navigator, born & raised in the Islands, has cruised extensively in both his own boat & OPB around all the islands

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, andykane said:

Impossible, where's the rain?

We had weeks of no rain this summer...come to think of it, when we cruised up to Alaska, we had almost months of no rain.  Literally less than 10 days in 5 months all the way up to Glacier Bay and back to Van. Various commercial fishermen we spoke to remarked on it.