Bernie's proposed plan to pay teachers

22 minutes ago, Dog said:

$60,000 for the NEA...do I hear $65,000?...going once.....

The advantage of increasing the salary is that you would attract better teachers.  The big problem isn't average teacher salary - it's average STEM teacher salary vs what that individual can earn in the private sector.

That's obviously complicated by being good at math vs the the ability to TEACH math.  People who are really good at STEM and whom are also good communicators of STEM are in pretty high demand, particularly in the private sector.

60K is actually just about avg. for a public school teacher in the USA.

5 minutes ago, Prof Anthrax said:

I wasn't aware the President or Congress has any say on the subject outside perhaps Department of Defense Dependent Schools. 

Congress has leverage. The Federal government provides funding to the states and includes strings with that funding.

I think someone needs to state what each of those beliefs are with a bit of specificity.

If we believe in the future of this country,  (becoming completely service industry)

if we believe in our children, (mired in debt from their overpriced education)

we have got to believe in our educators, (Who buy expensive waterfront property for school expansion and provide bogus figures to get the mortgage)

54 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

I think someone needs to state what each of those beliefs are with a bit of specificity.

If we believe in the future of this country,  (becoming completely service industry)

we have got to believe in our educators, (Who buy expensive waterfront property for school expansion and provide bogus figures to get the mortgage)

.....and expand their schools for a shrinking student body...

1 hour ago, Saorsa said:

Cite please.

13 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

which shrinking student body?

Wormfood still thinks of her/himself as a student.

https://www.usnews.com/news/education-news/articles/2018-09-10/colleges-set-to-fight-for-fewer-students

Presumably:

"Nathan Grawe, an economist at Carleton College in Minnesota, predicts that the college-going population will drop by 15 percent between 2025 and 2029 and continue to decline by another percentage point or two thereafter."

Also:

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=372#College_enrollment

How does fall 2019 college and university enrollment compare with years past?

• College enrollment in fall 2019 is expected to be about 5 percent lower than the peak of 21.0 million in fall 2010 (source).

Demographics always win out in the end.