Jump to content

Hey, don't step on the sails!


egon

Recommended Posts

Got this gem in my inbox this morning.

puma_hh.thumb.jpg.48e1f5ed69d71617075e727e98d24aa3.jpg

...and what in hell are you trying to build back there.

I mean really, some ad agencies really just need to drink some battery acid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ExOmo said:

so you bought some some new sails and HH gear?

I don't buy white sails and I don't own any HH gear.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

More importantly, what's going on in the background of that shot? A dinghy rig on its side with the boom propped up in the air to look like a full sail?

I know people in advertising as well as in both print and video production. There is nearly zero chance that the director knew or cared about the reality of what was in the shot or how sailors would interpret it.

Without a doubt the notanot or more accurately the IFYCFNDL is my favourite feature of all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

HH is looking to become the next Timberland?

They were at least 5 years ahead of Timberland already--and qwhat 10 years behind Nautica.(Or am I confused?)

When Orvis goes urbanite then I'll head back down to I. Goldbergs again for the 1st time in 30 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey stepping on the sails is OK as long as you do it lightly and don't let the sail slip and grind on the deck underfoot.  Sometimes the foredeck is doused with sails during a peel and it's unavoidable.  Sometimes the best thing to do is throw your whole body into the sail on deck to keep it from blowing over.  Well cared for sails die from UV and upper leech damage during tacks crossing the mast which is unavoidable.  Stepping on them is trivial and mostly avoidable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This

AF-420x280.jpg

Used to be this

330px-Aafc1.jpg

There is a long history of genuine sports outfitters finding it hard to resist the siren song of profit margin. If you want to make money fashion beats function.

If you want to be fashionable associating yourself with elite sports can be effective. Their is no need to be genuinely of utility in those elite sports to generate the margin expansion that makes shareholders happy and keeps CEOs employed.

It’s no surprise that Lands End and Leon Leonwood Bean moved from focusing on sport to broader clothing/fashion offerings. What was surprising about those brands is how long they also maintained a commitment to quality and customer service – expenses that got in the way of really monetizing their brand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, KC375 said:

This

AF-420x280.jpg

Used to be this

330px-Aafc1.jpg

There is a long history of genuine sports outfitters finding it hard to resist the siren song of profit margin. If you want to make money fashion beats function.

 

If you want to be fashionable associating yourself with elite sports can be effective. Their is no need to be genuinely of utility in those elite sports to generate the margin expansion that makes shareholders happy and keeps CEOs employed.

 

It’s no surprise that Lands End and Leon Leonwood Bean moved from focusing on sport to broader clothing/fashion offerings. What was surprising about those brands is how long they also maintained a commitment to quality and customer service – expenses that got in the way of really monetizing their brand.

 

Abercrombie and Fitch did NOT do as you suggest. They went belly up years ago while still making real things (including tennis racket presses which I still have!). Later, the name was bought---the corporate entitiy had long since ceased to exist in any meaningful way.

Land's End gave up chandlery many decades ago. Thbey are a cloting company.

Orvis and LL Bean are clothing and general merch but both have refused to throw away their core customers. LL Bean still makes the actual Maine Hunting Shoe to this day. Orvis will still build you a split bamboo rod--and builds US made carbon rods and aluminum reels of very high quality.

Nautica? Ffff,

Atlantis? Fffff.

Helly Hansen. Fuck em.

Sperry? I think they still make deck shoes...but I'm a swamp yankee and don't buy expensive deck shoes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

Abercrombie and Fitch did NOT do as you suggest. They went belly up years ago while still making real things (including tennis racket presses which I still have!). Later, the name was bought---the corporate entitiy had long since ceased to exist in any meaningful way.

....

Well...actually as I read the history Abercrombie they did more or less as I described...my bad....I certainly simplified and omitted some changes of ownership structure but they did not go bankrupt as a genuine outfitter then remerge as a brand only selling fashion shit.

Abercrombie like LL Bean and Lands End evolved towards fashion...Abercrombie took it too the extreme.

Founded in 1892 it went through various structures and varying ownerships but generally focused on “outfitting” including Roosevelt’s African safari and Byrd’s Antarctic expedition.  By the ‘70s it had lost it’s path offering among other essential sporting gear an $80,000 gold and onyx chess set...not surprisingly leading to chapter 11 in 1976...the name and mailing list were purchased by Oshman’s sporting goods who re-launched it as mail order featuring hunting wear (and of course “novelty items)...so still in the “outfitter” mode similar to the original offering of 1892. Then  the drift to fashion accelerated with shops in Beverly Hills, Dallas and New York...followed in 1988  with a purchase by The Limited accelerating the final pivot to vacuous fashion.

Fortunately places like LL Bean have not gone completely vacuous fashion but the emphasis is clearly on the more attractive margins in general clothing than real outfitting. You can still buy the original Bean boot that nearly bankrupted Leon Leonwood when his first year’s production failed due to defective glue and he honoured his satisfaction guarantee. That same guarantee, “guaranteed” his success as word of mouth of his standing behind his product drove increasing sales. BUT that guarantee is no longer honoured in his tradition. Used to be you could send in defective product and receive your choice of replacement or money back. Now you have to have kept your receipt...but if you didn’t keep your receipt no worries LL Bean has records...oh except they expunge those records every few years ...so your lifetime guarantee is 5 years or less...

I regret when these business move away from their original calling but if they are no longer closely held private companies they have an obligation to their shareholders that is hard to resist.

Hopefully folks like Guy Cotton can hold out. At least their models still pretend to actually be fishing....

home_front.jpeg

images_Dominique_Flament_-_Livre_Jaune_c

or otherwise out there doing it

images__EFO0038_72.jpg

 

images_Les_enfants_du_bateau_Vagabond_so

I for sure would rather buy from a place that puts up images like that than from Canadian Tire / Helley Hansen bullshit images that started this thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have my first pair of Maine Hunting Shoes which were resoled repeatedly. Of coure I paid for resoling. Nobody but a jerk would demand a free sole in the od days (that changed, people got annoying and LLBean had no choice but to end the era).

My boots have a repair to the tongue which had been chewed by my dog in high school. The repair was done free of charge. It was one of those little touches that LL Bean was legendary for. Twice in the old days they actually re-sized products on my suggestions! For instance the long version of the Chamois Shirt was too short in 1985. They fixed that for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, fastyacht said:

I haven't owned sperries since the 90s.

I still own a pair or two. Don't know why. They give me blisters on my heel.

My favorite boat moccasins are Sebago, followed by West Marine's house brand. I only buy when they go on sale. Topsiders are a slightly more socially acceptable step up from flip-flops.

Name your favorite boating moccasins in your reply!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

I still own a pair or two. Don't know why. They give me blisters on my heel.

My favorite boat moccasins are Sebago, followed by West Marine's house brand. I only buy when they go on sale. Topsiders are a slightly more socially acceptable step up from flip-flops.

Name your favorite boating moccasins in your reply!

 

I haven't owned a pair since a pair of timberlands in the 90s. But in high school I wore Sebago Docksides. They were in fact more comfortable on my feet than Topsiders. However the first pair of the latter I got when I was in 4th grade. A bunch of us kids decided to wade in the duck pool while hte dicieland band owas playing so we put our topisers or our dr scholls depended on gender , under the  car. When the adults rounded us ouf of the duck pond after the concerr, qwell, none of our shoes were there! That was the last pair of Topsiders my mother bought me Haha.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 11:49 PM, El Boracho said:

I want to use that cool looking knot. Anyone know its name?

 

1 hour ago, Elegua said:

If you can’t tie a good knot, tie lots of them. 

 

 

The proper phrase is; “if you can’t tie a knot, tie a lot.”

Got the little rhyme to make it fun.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2020 at 4:54 PM, JohnMB said:

1 rolling hitch, 2 clove hitches, 3 round turns and 5 half hitches

Its a Fibonacci knot!

Fibo-knot-cci

FIFY

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2020 at 3:22 PM, fastyacht said:

I know people in advertising as well as in both print and video production. There is nearly zero chance that the director knew or cared about the reality of what was in the shot or how sailors would interpret it.

Do those people realize by having said attitude that they have inherently negated their credibility and purpose of their job?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, egon said:

Do those people realize by having said attitude that they have inherently negated their credibility and purpose of their job?

Only if the target market is sailors...

HH has already made the leap to targetting the "Frozen" demorgraphic...sailors are an irrelevantly small market for a fashion brand

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KC375 said:

Only if the target market is sailors...

HH has already made the leap to targetting the "Frozen" demorgraphic...sailors are an irrelevantly small market for a fashion brand

Doesn't matter the target market.  We already have too many professions that get away with constantly purveying incorrect information.  Long over due to start curtailing that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2020 at 1:46 PM, fastyacht said:

 

Sperry? I think they still make deck shoes...but I'm a swamp yankee and don't buy expensive deck shoes.

i bought some "cabela's" boat shoes,  they blew out in 1/2 a season..  the Sperry's i have , have been going strong for 2+ years now... though one of the laces did break

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2020 at 2:57 PM, fastyacht said:

Please understand that the Oshman;s period (that period leading up to Wexler's aqcuisition) was not a continuation of the original firm in any way. That's my point I guess.

i remember visiting the Oshman's store in nyc when i was a kid, what an awesome place.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2020 at 5:03 PM, fastyacht said:

They were at least 5 years ahead of Timberland already--and qwhat 10 years behind Nautica.(Or am I confused?)

When Orvis goes urbanite then I'll head back down to I. Goldbergs again for the 1st time in 30 years.

If you are talking about the I Goldberg in Philly, too late it's closed

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, egon said:

Do those people realize by having said attitude that they have inherently negated their credibility and purpose of their job?

I've been trying to master that dis-interested, apathetic sneer all my life. Alas, for some reason people still think I give a fuck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 8:34 PM, egon said:

Got this gem in my inbox this morning.

puma_hh.thumb.jpg.48e1f5ed69d71617075e727e98d24aa3.jpg

Dang,, this reminds my of when I had my van loaded for a trip the Gorge,, and some crackheads swiped it. 

My best 49er sails became decor all over the downtown eastside.  :mellow:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...