What Can Be Used For Mold, Mildew, Odor On Fabric Cushions?

Our cabin cushions are in need of cleaning and on some, there's mold or mildew that needs to be treated.  I've done the web search but so much of what I've found looks like ads for products.

Any recommendations?

I've had decent luck with concrobium. It is supposed to kill the mold and help keep it from coming back. It comes in a spray bottle and you can get it at home depot.  As with all things like this, I'd test it in an inconspicuous location before going over the whole cushion with it. I haven't had any issues, but you never know. 

• Like 1

From an old Practical Sailor article:

Formula A

1 quart hot water

1 tablespoon baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)

2 tablespoons washing soda (sodium carbonate)

2 tablespoons trisodium phosphate (TSP)

Much like Concrobium (which it is modeled after), our homemade Formula A removed the mildew from test carpet on board and kept it away, even though the area got wet again. It was also very effective in the moist-environment lab test.

Formula B

1 quart hot water

2 tablespoons baking soda

2 tablespoons Borax

1 tablespoon TSP

Formula B was the second-place performer in the liquid group. It was certainly the best value. It cleaned well, prevented mildew from returning to the carpet, and greatly slowed mildew infection in the moist-environment test in the lab.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/homemade-mildew-preventers-that-really-work

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Formula A has been working great for us, except it leaves a chalky/gritty residue. Any bright work requires a second cleaning.

PS's latest issue had a letter from a reader reminding them what the pros use: ozone generators. The cheap ones are < $100. Tent the cushions and blast with ozone. It will kill the critters, but will not remove stains, etc.

15 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Is that cushion from Pompeii?

Ten year cruise in the tropics. Yeah nasty. The wash water kinda amplifies the mold darkness...but now I know about pre-rinsing the women I bring to the boat.