Domestication From WILD to Safe Pet (& where you might be having problems)

Watched a very interesting program lastnight in a Russian experiment 

The bread out  WILD  animals into 2 divisions, 

The 1st was to breed the Meanest, Nastiest tempered WILD Monstors that qerr Pure to their Primeval Instincts 

The others were bread to filter out the aggression breeding the one who showed signs of being passive untill they were Pure Pet Grade Loving Companions 

Of note Other trates came about the more mellow they became .. like White Patches here and there as well as other physical attributes 

Read these links while I look for a link to the program = Extreamly Interesting getting to the root of other dog related threads

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/mans-new-best-friend-a-forgotten-russian-experiment-in-fox-domestication/

https://www.livescience.com/38241-how-wolf-turned-to-dog.html

http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2019/foxy-behavior-russian-fox-farm-uncovered-basis-canine-domestication/

https://api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/animals/2018/08/fox-dogs-wild-tame-genetics-study-news

And what is a party without a Buzz Killer

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/famous-fox-domestication-experiment-challenged-66817

The Russian fox experiment ...

The results of that -- restless the controversy over genetics -- suggest an obvious pathway to the major extinction events in North America about 15,000 years ago. It likely wasn't climate change, but rather the first humans who came here from Siberia and Mongolia.

They came with dogs, and the extinction vector was apparently the rapid introduction of feral dogs into North America.

I doubt that there are any major species of North American dogs (except for perhaps Red Foxes) that don't have some feral dog remnants in their DNA.

10 minutes ago, mikewof said:

The Russian fox experiment ...

The results of that -- restless the controversy over genetics -- suggest an obvious pathway to the major extinction events in North America about 15,000 years ago. It likely wasn't climate change, but rather the first humans who came here from Siberia and Mongolia.

They came with dogs, and the extinction vector was apparently the rapid introduction of feral dogs into North America.

I doubt that there are any major species of North American dogs (except for perhaps Red Foxes) that don't have some domestic dog remnants in their DNA.

Wait, wolves, coyotes and fox were already there, how would a domestic dog, albeit likely a meaner, nastier version of today’s pooches, outcompete a pack of wolves? Wouldn’t they more fill the niche left once humans killed off the wolves?

18 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Wait, wolves, coyotes and fox were already there, how would a domestic dog, albeit likely a meaner, nastier version of today’s pooches, outcompete a pack of wolves? Wouldn’t they more fill the niche left once humans killed off the wolves?

They couldn't. A feral dog couldn't compete with a similarly sized wild dog.

But it didn't have to.

Wild animals rarely hunt for territory, they usually only hunt for food. They'll defend the territory they have, but actually hitting the trail to vastly expand territory? That's usually only the mark of a primate. Usually humans.

So ... we have all of these unexplained extinctions about 15,000 years ago, right when humans first appeared. Mastadons, giant sloths, the North American Cheetah, tigers, horses, a lot more. We are mostly sure that it wasn't the humans who killed off these animals, because there weren't enough humans to do that.

But anyone who has ever seen a hunting dog do its thing, knows that dogs teach each other certain skills that they learn from humans. That's a big part of the reason there are so many domesticated dogs. 

So when the human-acclimated dogs first came to North America, they would have quickly had a lot of interaction with purely wild dogs. Suddenly, these wild dogs become "infected" with the learned habits of human-acclimated dogs, and possibly learn the juggernaut technique of packing up, and hunting for territory, not just food.

We know that wild dogs pack up now. But did wild dogs pack up before humans got here? I'll bet $10 that the pre-human evidence suggests that wolves and coyotes were a lot more solitary like foxes, than pack-centered like humans and dogs.

Introducing learned pack hunting into North America would have been the sledgehammer. Suddenly a fairly low predator of wolves could pack up and hunt the young of any animal, even the North American Cheetah, tigers or Mastadons. It would be the equivalent of the human smallpox; a violently different and new vector in an ecosystem that had no defense against it.

2 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

Watched a very interesting program lastnight in a Russian experiment 

The bread out  WILD  animals into 2 divisions, 

The 1st was to breed the Meanest, Nastiest tempered WILD Monstors that qerr Pure to their Primeval Instincts 

The others were bread to filter out the aggression breeding the one who showed signs of being passive untill they were Pure Pet Grade Loving Companions 

Of note Other trates came about the more mellow they became .. like White Patches here and there as well as other physical attributes 

Read these links while I look for a link to the program = Extreamly Interesting getting to the root of other dog related threads

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/mans-new-best-friend-a-forgotten-russian-experiment-in-fox-domestication/

https://www.livescience.com/38241-how-wolf-turned-to-dog.html

http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2019/foxy-behavior-russian-fox-farm-uncovered-basis-canine-domestication/

https://api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/animals/2018/08/fox-dogs-wild-tame-genetics-study-news

And what is a party without a Buzz Killer

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/famous-fox-domestication-experiment-challenged-66817

I had a magnificent looking coyote in my yard last Saturday, in an out all day laying down and sunning itself . Really beautiful animal,I actually googled to see if it was possible making a pet of one. Not really possible however mixed dog and coyote had some success 

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Cane we assuume you our finialley adopteng thoise racoones?  "If you cnte beatem, joinem" as they saye............                                       :)

I think he's being domesticated by a Cougar..... And it's making him nervous.....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, nacradriver said:

Yeah.. guess that would be a little hard considering you're probably not house trained yet....  :lol:

I only hit the toilet seat  when I’ve been drinking scotch 

26 minutes ago, dacapo said:
1 hour ago, nacradriver said:

Yeah.. guess that would be a little hard considering you're probably not house trained yet....  :lol:

I only hit the toilet seat  when I’ve been drinking scotch 

Snippeng throuhe the 'man overte boarde hourseshoe' ist dodgey at beste..................                        :)

15 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Snippeng throuhe the 'man overte boarde hourseshoe' ist dodgey at beste..................                        :)

One hand for you and one hand for the boat B)

and it’s not like I would puke  on the life raft 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

Yeah, I expected to see some classic WOODY pics of Wild girls from the races... 

Tak about being let down!?!?

Not a chance

Domestication turns a Woman into a Wife

A WILD Woman becomes (in the best case) a COUGAR

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

Don’t make me beg!!

For you I shall post Opening Hat Day / Running of the Cougars Pix this year

I shot but didn't post last years Pix But everyone was too busy arguing about TRUMP and content with Vwap's Pix to notice 

Pix to Follow (mid July)

3 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

I shot but didn't post last years Pix But everyone was too busy arguing about TRUMP and content with Vwap's Pix to notice 

Pix to Follow (mid July)

Thank you!

9 hours ago, Mike in Seattle said:

sheesh,,

Image result for woman  tree cougar

:rolleyes:

That's a TreeHugging Cougar, that won't hunt or buy you drinks & dinner &

1 hour ago, Derek Grebe said:

the most insane failures from the Russian Fox experiment ended up working at FOX..

Sadly only 1 like allowed

Reminding me of that other chanel 

BRAVO  !!

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2020 at 2:48 AM, DA-WOODY said:

Pix to Follow (mid July)

Thanks COVID-19 for ruining this for everybody!

7 hours ago, chinabald said:

My wife domesticated me a long time ago. 

That's what they're for.

They keep us alive for 4 years longer on average compared to single guys.

And it costs them some of their lifespan to do it - single women live the longest.

3 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Do you have her permission to make that statement?

shhhhhhhh ;-) she's out delivering dinner to her mom right now