Don't MoveTo Florida

Besides the toaster oven heat in the summer and the frightening experience of coming face-to-face with a Florida man or Florida woman, other reasons not to move to Florida are piling up.

If this winter is any indication of the future, summer in Florida will never end.  Even long timers are complaining about the winter heat.  I scheduled February as the month to do work on the boat too strenuous to do in the heat.  So far those days have yet to arrive.

Of course, there's the algae blooms that can cause respiratory problems.  And bacteria eating flesh in the water that seeps into cuts.  Today there was an article in the paper about "absolutely unprecedented" mosquito swarms.  I guess that's where those swollen bumps came from after an early evening sail. 

I suppose I should also mention that when the citizens work their asses off to get popular legislation passed, and succeed, the legislation will fuck with it and effectively nullify it.

So if you're thinking about trading in that snow shovel for flip-flops and shorts, wait.  Pretty soon, northern climes will be enjoying what used to be Florida weather.  And no worries about Florida man sightings.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In our more rural areas there are a lot of freely accessible groves, most of them with old trees and fruits. These have been outshadowed by modern "industrial" species and those are usually heavily sp

That explains a lot. I suspect that amoeba's been active in Florida for quite some time...

i'm not afraid of the brain eating amoeba in texas,  there aren't enough brains in the state to support an epidemic..

Posted Images

you missed this little gem

Fort Lauderdale officials say 211.6m gallons of sewage has spilled into Fort Lauderdale waterways in the past few months.

The Sun-Sentinel reports that’s enough to fill 320 Olympic-sized pools.

The city’s aging sewer pipes broke six times in December and spewed 126.9m gallons of sewage – ranking as one of South Florida’s biggest spills ever. The spills fouled the Tarpon River, the Himmarshee Canal and streets in three neighborhoods.

According to what officials told the state Department of Environmental Protection, 79.3m gallons spilled into George English Lake over a 10-day period that began 30 January and ended 8 February. Then an additional 5.4m gallons flooded streets near park right across from a popular mall.

In recent weeks, crews also have rushed to fix another string of water main breaks, forcing the city to warn residents to boil their tap water before drinking, brushing their teeth or washing dishes.

27 minutes ago, Jules said:

Besides the toaster oven heat in the summer and the frightening experience of coming face-to-face with a Florida man or Florida woman, other reasons not to move to Florida are piling up.

If this winter is any indication of the future, summer in Florida will never end.  Even long timers are complaining about the winter heat.  I scheduled February as the month to do work on the boat too strenuous to do in the heat.  So far those days have yet to arrive.

Of course, there's the algae blooms that can cause respiratory problems.  And bacteria eating flesh in the water that seeps into cuts.  Today there was an article in the paper about "absolutely unprecedented" mosquito swarms.  I guess that's where those swollen bumps came from after an early evening sail. 

I suppose I should also mention that when the citizens work their asses off to get popular legislation passed, and succeed, the legislation will fuck with it and effectively nullify it.

So if you're thinking about trading in that snow shovel for flip-flops and shorts, wait.  Pretty soon, northern climes will be enjoying what used to be Florida weather.  And no worries about Florida man sightings.

Go back home !

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jules said:

I can take heat no problem.  I start to whine if it goes below 70.  I would appreciate stronger sea breezes in the summer though.

On the plus side when I first got here I encountered flying palmetto bugs.  Totally freaked me out.  Haven’t seen one in 20+ years. I think they went extinct or we just paved them over.

2 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Yeah I saw that.  Just add it to all the problems the ICW and waterways have been having in Florida.  At least once or twice a year we get the 'do not go in the water because of this bacteria' alerts, usually around when its good weather for the sandbar.  Lake Okeenasty is the source.  Nasty water mixes with the rivers/ICW and causes the nasty algae blooms that even affect peoples respiratory systems aside from the wildlife it kills.  Really sad.

24 minutes ago, Jkdubz808 said:

Yeah I saw that.  Just add it to all the problems the ICW and waterways have been having in Florida.  At least once or twice a year we get the 'do not go in the water because of this bacteria' alerts, usually around when its good weather for the sandbar.  Lake Okeenasty is the source.  Nasty water mixes with the rivers/ICW and causes the nasty algae blooms that even affect peoples respiratory systems aside from the wildlife it kills.  Really sad.

Lake O is a giant stagnant lake since it has been diked. The many drainage canals are also stagnant and choked with vegetation. A perfect example is the "new" I-75 Alligator Alley  30 years ago the canals on both sides dredged to make the road bed were bright limestone...can not even see the limestone now as it to is choked with vegetation ....and of course Big Real Estate and my once beautiful  state will in another 50 years have every square foot built upon, as there are few natural barriers...flat land is easy to build upon 

Everglades drain.jpg

Glade_drain.jpg

Not to worry. Everything will be just fine once the Love Bugs show up.

Fucking palmetto bugs. I remember coming home with a pizza one evening in Miami and a fucking palmetto bug attacked me in the kitchen and tried to steal it. 

8 minutes ago, dacapo said:

Florida. A nice vacation. But you don’t have to worry about me living there I like four seasons (or whatever it has become here ) 

We have seasons. “Aw crap I have to start mowing the lawn again” season, which coincides with “Little old lady with blue hair and Ontario plates in the left lane doing 20 mph under the speed limit” season. “Hurricane Season brought you you by Home Depot” is always a fan favorite. “Love bug season” gives way to “Stay Off the Roads while old snowbirds drive north” season. Not so bad, as long as you get the hell out of the cities that didn’t plan for growth or say no to developers. 

14 minutes ago, dacapo said:

Florida. A nice vacation. But you don’t have to worry about me living there I like four seasons (or whatever it has become here ) 

Buddy of mine who lives out your way likes to say he has two seasons......winter and the 4th of July.

47 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

Lake O is a giant stagnant lake since it has been diked. The many drainage canals are also stagnant and choked with vegetation. A perfect example is the "new" I-75 Alligator Alley  30 years ago the canals on both sides dredged to make the road bed were bright limestone...can not even see the limestone now as it to is choked with vegetation ....and of course Big Real Estate and my once beautiful  state will in another 50 years have every square foot built upon, as there are few natural barriers...flat land is easy to build upon 

WOW I agree with BB, go fiqure, Actually it won't be too long before the Altantic reclaims it, From miami king tides are a regular thing, and their building a 3' walls to keep the water out . The problem is Florida is mostly sand/lime stone so the water comes up from below . Then you have all the run off from GOLF courses( pestides, fertizer, human waste , )polluting the water ways , with Trump defunding the EPA.? Lake O with blue aglae killing fish, red tides on the gulf and ocean killing fish/dolphins ..... oceans beaches flying yellow flag for high bacteria levels, developers keep building huge condo's roads can't handle the traffic , ( it is funny watching a boomer driving a big SUV and texting , not knowing where he's going)Then 100 of millions of $$$$$ for beach replacement on to get wash a way, The most Invasive species "Jerseyites" with there little rat dogs, shiting and pissing every where

44 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Fucking palmetto bugs. I remember coming home with a pizza one evening in Miami and a fucking palmetto bug attacked me in the kitchen and tried to steal it. 

Oh yeah, I forgot.  No-seeums.  They are about the size of a pepper grain and they are all teeth.

And here, in our neighborhood, we have hundreds of rabbits, on pretty much every block.  Plant something you really like and the next day they have buzzed it down to nothing.  All the healthy plants are hidden behind rabbit fencing. 

And then there's Burmese pythons, wild pigs, iguanas that like living in attics, if the rats will let them. 

12 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

“Stay Off the Roads while old snowbirds drive north” season.

An article in the paper today criticized road crews working during snowbird season.  Like we have to make sure everything is peachy keen while they are here and the rest of us can swelter in the summer heat, engine overheating, while waiting for road crews to flag us through.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Dorado said:

I had to google that one. OK, I know now: Palmetto bugs = cockroaches

That reminds me of what a Texan colleagues told me the first time I moved to Houston.

"the size of the cockroaches in Texas is impressive, but grossly exaggerated. Personally, I have never seen a cockroach more than 6 inches long.... inside a house..."

• Like 1

Friends keep asking my why am not planning to retire to Charleston, SC, where both or our daughters live.  Other than January through February, I love living where we do in SE CT.  Racing one design and PHRF from March to December, there are not a lot of other areas that offer that, and have such a beautiful place to do it. OTOH, when we eventually start having Grandchildren, Miss BB may have other thoughts....  Florida??  Never, except for short visits in the coldest of New England months.  So far, this winter has been very mild....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Laurent said:

That reminds me of what a Texan colleagues told me the first time I moved to Houston.

"the size of the cockroaches in Texas is impressive, but grossly exaggerated. Personally, I have never seen a cockroach more than 6 inches long.... inside a house..."

There's cockroaches, and then there's palmetto bugs.

There's lizards, and then there's Godzilla 

3 hours ago, Grabbler said:

How's y'alls grilling weather right now up Nawth?...

20200208_185459.jpg

No problem here (my backyard deck is covered) & it dried out enough to cut the fast growing grass on the south side of my driveway (Feb 18 could be a record early day for mowing!).

5 hours ago, garuda3 said:

WOW I agree with BB, go fiqure, Actually it won't be too long before the Altantic reclaims it, From miami king tides are a regular thing, and their building a 3' walls to keep the water out . The problem is Florida is mostly sand/lime stone so the water comes up from below . Then you have all the run off from GOLF courses( pestides, fertizer, human waste , )polluting the water ways , with Trump defunding the EPA.? Lake O with blue aglae killing fish, red tides on the gulf and ocean killing fish/dolphins ..... oceans beaches flying yellow flag for high bacteria levels, developers keep building huge condo's roads can't handle the traffic , ( it is funny watching a boomer driving a big SUV and texting , not knowing where he's going)Then 100 of millions of $$$$$ for beach replacement on to get wash a way, The most Invasive species "Jerseyites" with there little rat dogs, shiting and pissing every where

also read where the Horizon oil spill in the gulf was a LOT larger than originally believed  and that a lot of oil remnants are making it's way down the west coast  around the keys and back up the east coast...

14 hours ago, Jules said:

I scheduled February as the month to do work on the boat too strenuous to do in the heat.  So far those days have yet to arrive.

Heh. You should know by now that the low 80's we've had are not "the heat."

14 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Fort Lauderdale officials say 211.6m gallons of sewage has spilled into Fort Lauderdale waterways in the past few months.

The Sun-Sentinel reports that’s enough to fill 320 Olympic-sized pools.

The city’s aging sewer pipes broke six times in December and spewed 126.9m gallons of sewage – ranking as one of South Florida’s biggest spills ever. The spills fouled the Tarpon River, the Himmarshee Canal and streets in three neighborhoods.

According to what officials told the state Department of Environmental Protection, 79.3m gallons spilled into George English Lake over a 10-day period that began 30 January and ended 8 February. Then an additional 5.4m gallons flooded streets near park right across from a popular mall.

In recent weeks, crews also have rushed to fix another string of water main breaks, forcing the city to warn residents to boil their tap water before drinking, brushing their teeth or washing dishes.

Thank goodness they're moving all those non-compliant liveaboards out though. They're the real problem...

11 hours ago, Dorado said:

It was Miami...consider yourself lucky the little fucker wasn't packing.

10 hours ago, Laurent said:

No.

Palmetto bugs = Giant flying cockroaches

5 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

also read where the Horizon oil spill in the gulf was a LOT larger than originally believed  and that a lot of oil remnants are making it's way down the west coast  around the keys and back up the east coast...

I had a friend ( she an stewardess) that just flew from Dallas to Wet palm beach and she was saying that oil is turning the western shore/gulf black

And The retard wants more drilling , you would THINK now that he's a florida he would think about that, 

Oh I forgot the thinking part 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Quit your bitching and move back to where ever it is you came from.What did you expect my state is 1/4 swamp and our roaches fly

Trump should built the wall starting at JAX heading west, with no VISA's for jerseysites.

my emotional support gator will eat you emotional support dog

Image result for gator eats dog

8 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Wonder how far north the pythons have managed to advance looking for food? Outliers are bound to be at the lake by now. That'll take care of the rabbit and iguana issues. Maybe the gators too, pit bulls, and small people.hqdefault.jpg

photoshop

1984-2020

once I-75 was complete it started filling in the gaps starting in Naples and moving up the west coast....my beautiful Miami of the 60's is too depressing to return to

Screenshot_(88).png

Screenshot_(89).png

3 hours ago, garuda3 said:

I had a friend ( she an stewardess) that just flew from Dallas to Wet palm beach and she was saying that oil is turning the western shore/gulf black

And The retard wants more drilling , you would THINK now that he's a florida he would think about that, 

Oh I forgot the thinking part 

He's on the East coast so why should he give a shit?

9 minutes ago, Dorado said:

If I wasn't wearing cowboy boots at the time, I'd have been a dead man

like the old joke with the line..."why do Puerto Ricans wear pointy toed shoes" ? ....:D

The extremely pointy shoes worn by puerto ricans and russians that are used to crush cockroaches when then run into a corner; a round toe wont reach far enough into the corners apex to cause a lethal blow to the aforementioned roach.
Oscar had a roach in a mexican standoff in the corner of his room, his air force one was too round to crush him, out of nowhere his cousin JuanJulio, who was dressed up to go to the local cantina came running in with his cockroach-killers and instanly speared the roach in the corner.
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

1984-2020

once I-75 was complete it started filling in the gaps starting in Naples and moving up the west coast....my beautiful Miami of the 60's is too depressing to return to

Screenshot_(88).png

Screenshot_(89).png

I still love that whole section of Gold Finger set in Miami.  Classic

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

He's on the East coast so why should he give a shit?

maybe that gulf stream thing? then again he's probably never been on the beach, ok maybe once with Epstien's girls

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/ocean/surface/currents/orthographic=-75.38,28.43,1186

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

Lake O only part of the problem. Development the main culprit... all those sewage releases, street drainage... it’s people..,,

39 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Lake O only part of the problem. Development the main culprit... all those sewage releases, street drainage... it’s people..,,

I know, take it to PA, but for all the claims that development pays for itself, it doesn't.  You can't fix the old stuff when all you can do is build new stuff.   When you sell yourself as a low tax state and then create a tax code that barely covers current expenses, let alone save for a rainy day, then this is what we get.

51 minutes ago, Jules said:

But there are some good things about living here.  Almost any weekend you can see tribute bands Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, The Beatles, The Bee Gees, and lots of other greats!

You do realize that they are just the latest iteration of Guy Lombardo, Mantovani etc.? :D

20 hours ago, Laurent said:

My first wife was a native of Virginia.  Her take was that in the North roaches were a sign of poor housekeeping.  In the South they were a way of life.  

• Like 2

A number of my former work colleagues who have retired have moved to FLA.  Coincidentally, they all came from the NY metro area and are Jewish.

On the other hand, my neighbors across the street who did the snowbird thing every year for the 20 years we have known them, sold their condo a couple of years ago and are now full time residents of Wisconsin; which this winter has been a pale image of winter in the good old days.

2 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

The human race is quickly making the planet uninhabitable for mammals, and it will be our downfall. Not a question of IF, just WHEN.....

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

My first wife was a native of Virginia.  Her take was that in the North roaches were a sign of poor housekeeping.  In the South they were a way of life.  

There is a certain advantage to the occasional hard freeze.  I'm hoping that we see a couple of rays with lows in the teens and highs in the 20's here in MD before "spring."  If we don;t, the ticks and other crawly critters will be overwhelming come summer.  

29 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

A number of my former work colleagues who have retired have moved to FLA.  Coincidentally, they all came from the NY metro area and are Jewish.

On the other hand, my neighbors across the street who did the snowbird thing every year for the 20 years we have known them, sold their condo a couple of years ago and are now full time residents of Wisconsin; which this winter has been a pale image of winter in the good old days.

When I was a real estate broker, saw more than a few people who tried to retire to Florida, were not happy there.  Conversely, we know a local couple who came back from Naples, are returning now, go figure?

11 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

No.

Palmetto bugs = Giant flying cockroaches

We got the flying part in Texas too, you know...

Spiders don't scare me.

Mice?  Nah...

Lizards? Find them cute

Snakes? As long as they don't surprise me,  fine. 

But cockroaches.... I hate 'em

1 hour ago, Innocent Bystander said:

There is a certain advantage to the occasional hard freeze.  I'm hoping that we see a couple of rays with lows in the teens and highs in the 20's here in MD before "spring."  If we don;t, the ticks and other crawly critters will be overwhelming come summer.  

Understood. Mild winter here in WI. My wife’s garden is going to be a feat for rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, etc.  wild minks decimated my garden pond earlier this winter.  Fish are gone

12 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Thar be monsters!

florida-map.jpg

??

There's nothing in Labelle except an orange grove run by a friend of mine.

Come to think of it, he was looking to sell before the virus wiped him out... may be gone now. One thing that's kinda cool about that area, they have mobile home parks with canals so the trailers are all waterfront.

Just now, Jkdubz808 said:
27 minutes ago, MikeR80 said:

I doubt very few, if any, of yall live in a community nicer than coral gables, florida

Nope, not snobby enough....

I think he was kidding. I hope he was....

- DSK

8 hours ago, MikeR80 said:

I doubt very few, if any, of yall live in a community nicer than coral gables, florida

I grew up on the Gables Waterway and left. It took a bit to figure out that locked doors are annoying, not necessary.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

I grew up on the Gables Waterway and left. It took a bit to figure out that locked doors are annoying, not necessary.

Biscayne Bay ~~~was as if it was my personal playground 1960's

CGSC.jpg

• Like 2