Don't MoveTo Florida

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In our more rural areas there are a lot of freely accessible groves, most of them with old trees and fruits. These have been outshadowed by modern "industrial" species and those are usually heavily sp

Sometimes the local Letters To The Editor can be more amusing than sad: "So I'm driving down Midway and look to the left and there in a church parking lot is a pickup truck with a Confederate fla

FIFY But y’know, same thing was said of Deutschland in the 1930s

Posted Images

From Twitter:

On behalf of the State of Florida, I apologize for Marco Rubio. And Rick Scott. And Matt Gaetz. And Greg Steube. And Ron DeSantis. But not Donald Trump. Until someone can prove he lives here, we don't claim him. We have enough problems.
4:32 PM · Aug 18, 2020·Twitter for Android

• Like 5
On 8/16/2020 at 2:47 PM, Not for nothing said:

reminds me of my nam days

Image for post

Everybody down! This is a high-jacking!

Really, it is...

I just finished listening to a fascinating podcast on 'Revisionist History' by Malcolm Gladwell (only 5 episodes that starts with "The Bomber Mafia") about how napalm came to be. 

It chronicles AF General Curtis LeMay who wanted to burn Japan or any enemy to the ground to make them surrender quickly. He did a pretty good job with Japan! The 2 big booms in Japan were just the final blows in a long string of burning death we rained down on Japan and later Korea! 

Eventually, burning everything to the ground became immoral!

Killing forests with Agent Orange, no so much...

LeMay was the aerial counterpart to Patton - incredibly effective but a totally dangerous Dog of War.

The kind of person that ideally you could keep in a glass case with a sign "In Case of War, Break Glass"

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

buy him a gym membership... 

Chasing the pig seems pretty good exercise.  

perhaps same time next Tuesday? 

10 hours ago, Mark K said:

Don't move to Berlin. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/17/threat-to-kill-wild-boar-that-stole-nude-bathers-laptop-prompts-outcry-berlin

Threat to kill wild boar that stole nude bather's laptop prompts outcry

I went to see a Bruce Springsteen concert in 2016 at the Olympic stadium in Berlin, very close to the area where the boar incident above happened.  Leaving the show, we were driving on a small back road to avoid traffic and a couple of large boars appeared out of the trees and proceeded to cross the road.  Several more adult boars crossed and then about 6 or 8 little ones, followed by a few more adult boars.  

On 8/11/2020 at 9:46 PM, SloopJonB said:

Or;

image.png.12f81741d26a9705b26906d4c8e284fa.png

4chan's /pol/ would like a word.

Genuinely a fun website and actually diverse despite what people say. Best used in short 15 minute doses once every few days to avoid toasting your brain from some of the utter bollocks you find on there. The internet and freedom of speech in its truest form... 

must have big skeeters over there..

LAKELAND, Fla. (AP) — A live air-to-air missile discovered at a small central Florida airport has been secured in a munition storage facility at MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa.

The unarmed French S-530 air-to-air missile was found at Lakeland Linder International Airport on Friday.

“It is secured and safe and they are just waiting on when and where they are going to dispose of the missile. Those details are yet to be solidified,”

seems someone has been shopping a lot of them around

R-530F.jpg?fit=1024,682&ssl=1

• 3 weeks later...

A new survey has yielded “shocking and saddening” results, showing millennials and Gen Z have a “worrying lack of basic Holocaust knowledge,” according to the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany (Claims Conference).

Through the survey, the Claims Conference calculated Holocaust “knowledge scores” using the percentage of millennials and Gen Z adults who met all three criteria: they have definitively heard about the Holocaust, the can name at least one concentration camp, death camp, or ghetto, and they know that 6 million Jews were killed in the Holocaust.

Sixty-three percent of survey respondents did not know 6 million Jews were killed during the Holocaust, Claims Conference says.

In Florida, 61% of those surveyed didn’t know 6 million died, and 31% believed it was 2 million or less.

Wisconsin, Minnesota, Massachusetts, Maine, Kansas, Nebraska, Pennsylvania, Idaho, Iowa and Montana had the highest Holocaust knowledge scores, while Alaska, Delaware, Maryland, New York, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Florida, Mississippi, and Arkansas had the lowest.

46 minutes ago, Jules said:

A new survey has yielded “shocking and saddening” results, showing millennials and Gen Z have a “worrying lack of basic Holocaust knowledge,” according to the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany (Claims Conference).

Through the survey, the Claims Conference calculated Holocaust “knowledge scores” using the percentage of millennials and Gen Z adults who met all three criteria: they have definitively heard about the Holocaust, the can name at least one concentration camp, death camp, or ghetto, and they know that 6 million Jews were killed in the Holocaust.

Sixty-three percent of survey respondents did not know 6 million Jews were killed during the Holocaust, Claims Conference says.

In Florida, 61% of those surveyed didn’t know 6 million died, and 31% believed it was 2 million or less.

Wisconsin, Minnesota, Massachusetts, Maine, Kansas, Nebraska, Pennsylvania, Idaho, Iowa and Montana had the highest Holocaust knowledge scores, while Alaska, Delaware, Maryland, New York, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Florida, Mississippi, and Arkansas had the lowest.

Why are you surprised Jules?? Our country is in a race to the bottom, in more ways than one.  If it was practical to GTFO, we would, but with daughters in S. Carolina and rental properties to deal with, it's not possible.  I could see Canada in the summer and Europe for the winter in our future, otherwise.....

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Why are you surprised Jules??

Not so much surprised as shocked actually seeing the numbers.  This was on the local news last night so a lot of locals saw this.  It struck me as the local news calling out the the viewers for their lack knowledge of an important historical fact.

I also wondered if the reason for this being covered was to hope people would take a look at how quickly Germany changed under Hitler and make the connection to today.  Thouch I realize that's a lot of wishful thinking.

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Our country is in a race to the bottom, in more ways than one. 

I've often looked at the work ethic of immigrants and then at the work ethic of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation offspring.  That original worth ethic seems to slack off over the generations to the point later generations seem more prone to thinking in terms of having some sort of entitlement having been born here.  No need to work so hard.

On 8/31/2020 at 9:19 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

must have big skeeters over there..

seems someone has been shopping a lot of them around

R-530F.jpg?fit=1024,682&ssl=1

Seems very suitable for home protection.

3 minutes ago, Jules said:

I've often looked at the work ethic of immigrants and then at the work ethic of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation offspring.  That original worth ethic seems to slack off over the generations to the point later generations seem more prone to thinking in terms of having some sort of entitlement having been born here.  No need to work so hard.

My wife and I are both children of immigrants who inherited their work ethic. Our kids, despite our best efforts, have not. In grappling with this fact, I've sort of come to realize that it's a feature, not a bug. Or maybe both.

Our parents came here looking for opportunity and a better life and knew they'd have to bust ass to get it. However, they also hoped their kids and grandkids and later generations would be able to build on what they've done to have it easier.

My teenage son may very well become a musician, which would be a recipe for financial insecurity if he didn't have the resources he'll likely inherit from me, assuming no financial catastrophies in the mean time.

His career choice will enrich the county's culture, where mine added incrementally to our country's scientific strength, but both are important.

The key thing in my mind is that the country needs to keep bringing in immigrants. Those new generations are almost by definition the most motivated, hard working people in the world. They are our secret weapon for global leadership. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Jules said:

really?  so how much do you know about WW1 , war of 1812?  Teapot scandal?  Watergate ?  etc?    all of that is old history stuff, just like ww2 is to a lot of people nowadays..  history books are whitewashed by the christian right wing on a yearly basis..   in japan , many of the people aren't even aware of the atrocities of the japanese armies in ww2,  in china , tianaman square was a myth..

12 minutes ago, IStream said:

The key thing in my mind is that the country needs to keep bringing in immigrants. Those new generations are almost by definition the most motivated, hard working people in the world. They are our secret weapon for global leadership. 

I could not agree with you more!!  And it perplexes me that so many of our countrymen want to lock the borders and keep them out!  Farmers need workers willing to reap their crops, and there are many other jobs that we WASPS et aux will not do......

2 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

really?  so how much do you know about WW1 , war of 1812?  Teapot scandal?  Watergate ?  etc?    all of that is old history stuff, just like ww2 is to a lot of people nowadays..  history books are whitewashed by the christian right wing on a yearly basis..   in japan , many of the people aren't even aware of the atrocities of the japanese armies in ww2,  in china , tianaman square was a myth..

There are certain times in history that should not be forgotten.  I've read a number of books about Germany in the 1930s and with each book I see the similarities to what's happening here.  In order to protect our democracy, we have to know about those times in history that will help us identify when our democracy is under attack.

4 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Whataboutism.

History is full of incredible tragedies - it's what the human race is best at.

But...

There is only one instance of industrialized genocide on record.

20 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I could not agree with you more!!  And it perplexes me that so many of our countrymen want to lock the borders and keep them out!  Farmers need workers willing to reap their crops, and there are many other jobs that we WASPS et aux will not do......

Nobody wants to close the border.  Immigrants have made this country. It's about the rate of flow. There is a big difference between unrestricted immigration and manageable flow.

6 hours ago, roaming_wayne said:

Nobody wants to close the border.  Immigrants have made this country. It's about the rate of flow. There is a big difference between unrestricted immigration and manageable flow.

All the Trumpaloos want the border closed!!  Steve Bannon stole millions from a sham Go Fund Me to build the border wall.  Everyone who donated wants the border closed.  If you are not a Native American Indian you are an immigrant, or descendant of immigrants.  I am Swedish and English with some other Scandahoovian from the Viking days, according to a first cousin who had her DNA tested.  The only way anyone is getting my DNA is with a Court Order!!

1 minute ago, billy backstay said:

All the Trumpaloos want the border closed!!  Steve Bannon stole millions from a sham Go Fund Me to build the border wall.  Everyone who donated wants the border closed.  If you are not a Native American Indian you are an immigrant, or descendant of immigrants.  I am Swedish and English with some other Scandahoovian from the Viking days, according to a first cousin who had her DNA tested.  The only way anyone is getting my DNA is with a Court Order!!

I'd suggest you fill up your glass before you post again.

28 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

If you are not a Native American Indian you are an immigrant, or descendant of immigrants. 

So are they - just longer ago than most.

9 hours ago, roaming_wayne said:

immigration is fine,  just sign everyone up to pay taxes to help cover the additional infrastructure..  set standards for the farms for the farm workers too..

2 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

immigration is fine,  just sign everyone up to pay taxes to help cover the additional infrastructure..  set standards for the farms for the farm workers too..

Hey, stop being sensible. Immigration is purely a black or white issue, totally good or totally bad.

3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

interesting thought, with all the swabs that's being taken for covid,  how many are being sent to the the dna databases?

Possible but at least here in Australia, not legal so I doubt it'd happen. Already other ways to DNA profile a huge percentage of the population and that's never happened either.

FKT

10 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

LOL, assumptiones assumptiones........                          :)

The noted State Police Pathologist, Dr. Henry Lee told a friend of ours who is a retired State Police Trooper, to never, ever give anyone his DNA without a Court Order.  Good advice!!

What's an "incel"?

26 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

I guess they missed this thread.. 1,000 a day arriving and housing sales, remodeling and new construction is booming!

All I can do is that they leave their failed political philosophy behind, because that is what they are fleeing from. 

Kind of the Irony , is that their leaving with state funded pension of " New Jersey" ( police , firemen, state workers etc.) so what happen when these states can't fund these pensions anymore? I heard NJ just added a 10cent sales taxes on gas. to stay a float. and with the feds keep printing money ( FIAT) for the Ponzi scheme stock market we're in . That will cause what for the economy?. And they ( money guys) said where in ashaped recovery which is good for the rich 1%ers but sucks for the rest

And then you have all  the pollution that is being induced by over building (from farming golf courses, sewage runoff),  , Lake O will start dumping millions of gallons of water full of all kinds of toxic algae this week

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/local/indian-river-lagoon/health/2019/10/21/cdc-study-lake-okeechobee-toxic-algae-bloom/4054980002/

And my big problem HOA's which make Hitler, look like a nice guy!

4 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

And then you have all  the pollution that is being induced by over building (from farming golf courses, sewage runoff),  , Lake O will start dumping millions of gallons of water full of all kinds of toxic algae this week

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/local/indian-river-lagoon/health/2019/10/21/cdc-study-lake-okeechobee-toxic-algae-bloom/4054980002/

And my big problem HOA's which make Hitler, look like a nice guy!

hey   god keeps sending storms to clean up that state, doesn't seem to work..

OK , Latest fun fact, as we speak, The whole coast from Miami to Jacksonville is is under 2 feet of water, That includes every thing connect to the ocean , bays , harbors  the "Ditch"

all docks , marina's boat ramps and some road ways.image.jpeg.b5c5b15f05e605fa623563cdb441541c.jpegThis marina is on the St Lucie river about 5 miles from the ocean

https://www.wpbf.com/article/hurricane-teddy-high-tide-cycle-causing-flooding-concerns/34103275

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/weather/noreaster-brings-dangerous-surf-minor-flooding/7UT3MGAA7JHJZJKUBDDAZPAXAQ/

Seems like some new moon tide ,a strong breeze 30 kts out of the east and some hurricane a thousand miles a way.

But NO global warming! That a hoax!

1 hour ago, Not for nothing said:

OK , Latest fun fact, as we speak, The whole coast from Miami to Jacksonville is is under 2 feet of water, That includes every thing connect to the ocean , bays , harbors  the "Ditch"

all docks , marina's boat ramps and some road ways.image.jpeg.b5c5b15f05e605fa623563cdb441541c.jpegThis marina is on the St Lucie river about 5 miles from the ocean

https://www.wpbf.com/article/hurricane-teddy-high-tide-cycle-causing-flooding-concerns/34103275

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/weather/noreaster-brings-dangerous-surf-minor-flooding/7UT3MGAA7JHJZJKUBDDAZPAXAQ/

Seems like some new moon tide ,a strong breeze 30 kts out of the east and some hurricane a thousand miles a way.

That caused sustained winds in the high teens with gusts up close to 30 knots here yesterday, causing me to go sailing. It was exciting!

When I returned, the extremely low water had the really slick parts of the boat ramp out of water and I wound up crawling around on hands and knees to drag my boat onto concrete so it wouldn't blow away while I went to get the car.

2 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

Western shore of the Chesapeake running about 1.3' above predictions after 3 days of moderate NE winds so it's not just FL.    

If a sharknado happened tomorrow, I wouldn't be the least surprised.  

Strange times we're living in.  I'm too old for all this weird shit.  Just when I'm really enjoying my mostly stress free retired life, the world starts to break the furniture and shit the bed.  Can't is just wait a few more years?  

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Western shore of the Chesapeake running about 1.3' above predictions after 3 days of moderate NE winds so it's not just FL.    

you mean , there's more H2O to go around,

need pix's or it doesn't count

On 9/19/2020 at 11:52 AM, SloopJonB said:

INvoluntary CELibate.

Think VWAP and his elk.

VWAPS threads with pics of Trans women with crotch bulges, or grossly genormous mammaries should be labeled with the warning, NSFH!!

Not Safe For Humans!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Not for nothing said:

you mean , there's more H2O to go around,

need pix's or it doesn't count

Pics are not worth it. Take a couple of feet or so to get to the streets.  While sea level is rising and the land in this part of the country is slowly subsiding, out tidal variations above and below predictions is more related to the shallow bowl effect of sustained winds pushing water up and down and across the bay. Average depth of the Chesapeake is about 21’ with 25% of the surface less than 6 feet.  

28 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Pics are not worth it. Take a couple of feet or so to get to the streets.  While sea level is rising and the land in this part of the country is slowly subsiding, out tidal variations above and below predictions is more related to the shallow bowl effect of sustained winds pushing water up and down and across the bay. Average depth of the Chesapeake is about 21’ with 25% of the surface less than 6 feet.  

interesting article about Tangier island, think there's a couple others on the bay , what's the one that completely sank? 

https://grist.org/article/on-a-sinking-island-climate-science-takes-a-back-seat-to-the-bible/

8 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

You guys really need better ocean management....

15 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:

The ocean doing just fine,

it's that land thing is the problem. 

Is it, 'the ocean' is doing just fine? Really? Are micro plastics and coral bleaching fake news to you?

You're right about the land tho, it's on FIRE!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

interesting article about Tangier island, think there's a couple others on the bay , what's the one that completely sank? 

https://grist.org/article/on-a-sinking-island-climate-science-takes-a-back-seat-to-the-bible/

On the western side of the middle Bay, from Tangier in the South to Poplar Island on the North, islands turn to islets and then to marshes and shoals as erosion, storms and higher water levels, from subsidence and rising sea levels take their toll. We are on the alluvial plain, grown in mud and clay carved out by glaciers and built of sediments and runoff. No rock to lend a veneer of permanence. When sea levels were a few hundred feet higher, we were the continental shelf to the Rocky piedmont shore. We find Megaladon shark’s teeth and whale fossils in the cliffs from those days along present day shoreline. When they were 50-100 feet lower, we were the Susquehanna River valley.  

Probably best to say that man made climate change is but one of the factors remapping the shoreline. 

1 hour ago, Liquid said:

Is it, 'the ocean' is doing just fine? Really? Are micro plastics and coral bleaching fake news to you?

You're right about the land tho, it's on FIRE!

a great philosopher, once said the earth is fine; 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Liquid said:

You guys really need better ocean management....

Well duh.  All kinds of debris settles on the bottom of the ocean thereby displacing the water, and causing the sea level to rise.

They need to rake the ocean floor, that will solve the problem.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

We have a weird thing where Kent Island is getting flooded too deep for me to drive out of my driveway with heavy rain that would not have done this in the past. WTF?? I even had to drag my dinghy up to my front door to keep it from cruising off on its own :o

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Sandbags are now a permanent fixture on the great lakes and seemingly every single pond in the midwest that shares the water table.  My buddies with the sea wall company up in algonac are making millions!

My neighbor across the street owns a restaurant on the lake in Leland, MI.  Things are getting dicey there.  I told him to lobby to have Chicago open the locks to lower the lake level.  Then his restaurant is saved and the Chicago river gets cleaned out.  Win-Win! 

13 hours ago, Liquid said:

Hold my beer while I go get a shovel to help you bury your head in the sand!

Carlin was right - the planet will shrug us off and be back to normal in a century or two.

• Like 1

Governor Desantis came to the rescue of students who are being expelled for holding parties in violation of university policies.  He is creating a college "bill of rights."

"I think it's dramatically draconian that a student could get expelled for going to a party.  That's what college kids do," Desantis said.

Desantis is also moving to block any attempts to closing restaurants since there's little evidence doing so slows the spread of COVID.

Gotta love Florida!

47 minutes ago, Jules said:

Governor Desantis came to the rescue of students who are being expelled for holding parties in violation of university policies.  He is creating a college "bill of rights."

"I think it's dramatically draconian that a student could get expelled for going to a party.  That's what college kids do," Desantis said.

Desantis is also moving to block any attempts to closing restaurants since there's little evidence doing so slows the spread of COVID.

Gotta love Florida!

Government of the Frat Boys by the Frat Boys.

On 9/23/2020 at 2:55 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:
On 9/23/2020 at 12:43 PM, SloopJonB said:

Carlin was right - the planet will shrug us off and be back to normal in a century or two.

mother earth will be here long after all the mammals have died off...  and then finally,  thousands of years of peace..

Couple million, you mean.

The problem is, we're killing a LOT of shit on our way out. The next evolutionary cycle will be base on the bugs that eat plastic. Dunno how far it will get, do you think in 5 or 8 hundred million years, there will be any possible trace of human civilization that the next guys will find and go "huh, wonder what the fuck made -this-"

- DSK

On 9/19/2020 at 3:09 AM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Possible but at least here in Australia, not legal so I doubt it'd happen. Already other ways to DNA profile a huge percentage of the population and that's never happened either.

FKT

it wasn't legal for the NSA in the US to monitor all cell phone / text messages..   but they did...    it wasn't legal to murder government leaders, but the CIA did...  

On 9/26/2020 at 11:05 AM, ancientseawolf said:

...so I can feel so smart huddled over a fire in northern climes as the snow piles up.

This might help...

As infection numbers begin to rise again, and as deaths continue to mount, the Florida governor has opened the entire state up, back to pre-COVID days.

This guy is so focused on pleasing Trump he's willing to allow the virus to spread freely because, to Trump, an open economy will save his reelection.  Desantis doesn't understand things like this will almost guarantee COVID will be renamed the Trump Virus.

9 minutes ago, Jules said:

This might help...

As infection numbers begin to rise again, and as deaths continue to mount, the Florida governor has opened the entire state up, back to pre-COVID days.

This guy is so focused on pleasing Trump he's willing to allow the virus to spread freely because, to Trump, an open economy will save his reelection.  Desantis doesn't understand things like this will almost guarantee COVID will be renamed the Trump Virus.

"Trumpenflu" has a nice ring to it.

5 minutes ago, Jules said:

Trump has earned the right to be memorialized for his part in this pandemic.  And I support any efforts to that end.

Being remembered in perpetuity as the worst POTUS ever not good enough for you?

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Being remembered in perpetuity as the worst POTUS ever not good enough for you?

No, because he'll just brush that off as fake news.  I think everyone calling his China virus the Trump virus would really get under his skin.

28 minutes ago, Jules said:

No, because he'll just brush that off as fake news.  I think everyone calling his China virus the Trump virus would really get under his skin.

To beat little don, mock him/it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/26/opinion/sunday/trump-politics-humor.html

• Like 1

Well according to my bar fly friends, the virus is over and the  bars are packed, no masks or social distance , happy days are here again

lets see, in a month the infection went from 598,000 to over 700,000, death count 10200 to 14030, 

3 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

Well according to my bar fly friends, the virus is over and the  bars are packed, no masks or social distance , happy days are here again

lets see, in a month the infection went from 598,000 to over 700,000, death count 10200 to 14030, 

Keep up the good work.

15 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Darwin is really putting in a lot of O/T in the States these days.

The election cycle does bring out the wierdos on both political sides.

Florida... being Florida, does provide the world with limitless entertainment.

You should move there @SloopJonB!  BC will be cold and wet soon.  I will put in a good word for you at the Peace Arch crossing.

Now now... I don't want to hear any of that talk about "never leaving Canada"  and   "Florida?  Are you kidding me" nonsense.

Start packing.   I will keep your cars and boats in good order.

1 hour ago, Laurent said:

i'm not afraid of the brain eating amoeba in texas,  there aren't enough brains in the state to support an epidemic..

• Like 5