Don't MoveTo Florida

16 minutes ago, Trovão said:

the blower and the umbrella cancel each other...

to work as a jet plane the blower should face backwards

but the stream of wind from the blower can face forward and the umbrella deflect the stream of wind aft.  Deflectors on a jet aircraft work in the same way.  On landing, they extend themselves apart in order to deflect the stream of the jet wind forward instead of aft in order to slow the aircraft.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In our more rural areas there are a lot of freely accessible groves, most of them with old trees and fruits. These have been outshadowed by modern "industrial" species and those are usually heavily sp

I'm reading Scott Turow's The Last Trial.  In it one of the main characters, a defense attorney (Stern), has to interview a witness for the prosecution who lives in Naples, FL. "In the last two d

From Twitter: On behalf of the State of Florida, I apologize for Marco Rubio. And Rick Scott. And Matt Gaetz. And Greg Steube. And Ron DeSantis. But not Donald Trump. Until someone can prove h

Posted Images

Did a few calculations.  Depending on the speed of the bucket and the efficiency of the umbrella as a deflector, it may be better to use the umbrella. To use a marine analogy;   a small, high revving propellor may be able to put a lot of power into the water, but it can't move anything substantial because there is poor coupling between the drag of the water and  the energy of a small, fast moving stream of water jet.  This is why tugboats have big, slow moving propellors where the speed of the slug of water that the propellor creates approximates that of which they are trying to move.  It may work better to have the high speed wind from the leaf blower slowed down by the deflection from the umbrella to a larger, slower moving air jet.

• Like 1
On 11/2/2020 at 7:57 PM, Laker said:
On 11/2/2020 at 7:21 PM, Tunnel Rat said:

So would it be move efficient turning the blower to face backwards and throw away the umbrella?  Maybe not as cool and eye-catching?

You are probably right.

He shouldn't be able to go any faster than what the blower can push him, which isn't very fast.  But the umbrella, which is pushed in against the forward speed of the unit, should be slowing him down further. 

It looks like the bucket sits on a skateboard base.  There's more to this than meets the eye.

10 minutes ago, Jules said:

He shouldn't be able to go any faster than what the blower can push him, which isn't very fast.  But the umbrella, which is pushed in against the forward speed of the unit, should be slowing him down further. 

It looks like the bucket sits on a skateboard base.  There's more to this than meets the eye.

The umbrella has about the same forward area as he does, so it may help aerodynamically as he moves forward.

5 hours ago, Laker said:

The umbrella has about the same forward area as he does, so it may help aerodynamically as he moves forward.

But the umbrella is partially collapsed.  And we know there's no way a leaf blower can move a man in a bucket that fast. 

2 hours ago, Jules said:

But the umbrella is partially collapsed.  And we know there's no way a leaf blower can move a man in a bucket that fast. 

Will have to do an experiment.  Problem around here finding flat spot (West Portland)

breaking news FLASH, open season on Liberals and Democracy's OPEN SEASON NO LIMITS

Florida’s Gov. DeSantis Wants To Allow Armed Citizens To Shoot Looters And Rioters

A former Miami-Dade County prosecutor blasted the bill as a gift to vigilantes and said it would allow “death to be the punishment for a property crime.”

what's next Sailors that make the bridge go up?
15 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

breaking news FLASH, open season on Liberals and Democracy's OPEN SEASON NO LIMITS

Florida’s Gov. DeSantis Wants To Allow Armed Citizens To Shoot Looters And Rioters

A former Miami-Dade County prosecutor blasted the bill as a gift to vigilantes and said it would allow “death to be the punishment for a property crime.”

Now that Trump has lost, who is rioting, or even protesting?

55 minutes ago, Jules said:

Now that Trump has lost, who is rioting, or even protesting?

hope no body, but there's a lot cultist out there that won't take this lying down and want there revenge, of what we did too this thing.

Also many of these gun nuts want a reason to use them, 

22 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

Just when you thought Floriduh couldn't get any dumber.

6 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

Also many of these gun nuts want a reason to use them, 

This is almost worth moving to FL for the chance to dispose of deplorables. I have about 60 shotgun shells and a good-running truck ... ~70 deplorables down and I still drive away? Oh, hell yeah!

• Like 1
On 11/12/2020 at 9:16 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

azmwO3z_460swp.webp

I was playing golf with my dad a few years after he retired to Florida.  On a par 3 I hit my shot left to the edge of the water.  As I went to see if I could find it I kept getting closer to the water when my dad said, "Last week I saw a pretty big alligator in there." 

I dropped another ball and took the penalty. 

1 minute ago, Jules said:
On 11/12/2020 at 9:16 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

azmwO3z_460swp.webp

I was playing golf with my dad a few years after he retired to Florida.  On a par 3 I hit my shot left to the edge of the water.  As I went to see if I could find it I kept getting closer to the water when my dad said, "Last week I saw a pretty big alligator in there." 

I dropped another ball and took the penalty. 

Dointe even frette abote it ...... the gatore ate youre firste balle............ I no it..                      :)

On 11/11/2020 at 5:14 PM, Not for nothing said:

An opinion article in the Miami Herald pushed back, not that it will make any difference...

He (Gov. DeSantis) is telling them: Anyone has the right to shoot you, even kill you, if they think you’re misbehaving. DeSantis is gunning to give anyone the right to shoot, whether they are personally threatened or not.

Former Miami-Dade prosecutor Aubrey Webb told the Herald the proposed expansion of the state’s Stand Your Ground law is a bad idea.

“It dangerously gives armed private citizens power to kill as they subjectively determine what constitutes ‘criminal mischief’ that interferes with a business,” Webb said. “Someone graffitiing ‘Black Lives Matter’ on a wall? Urinating behind a dumpster? Blocking an entrance?”

Exactly.

For now, the governor’s office has sent the draft bill to the House Judiciary Committee. As of Tuesday, the proposal remained a draft. No bills have been filed in either the House or Senate. The Legislature convenes March 2. Committees begin meeting in January.

This is one more disturbing instance in which the governor is content to play with Floridians’ lives. His miserable management of the coronavirus pandemic, it seems, wasn’t a fluke. His push to let killers off the hook needs to be shot down, immediately.

Maybe the Trump Mini Me is clearing the way for an insurrection.

• Like 2

When is Florida going to uninhabitable?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dire-outlook-scientists-say-florida-reefs-have-lost-nearly-98percent-of-coral/ar-BB1b7GWV?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBnb7Kz&pfr=1

'Dire outlook': scientists say Florida reefs have lost nearly 98% of coral

The twin threats of temperature-related bleaching and increased ocean acidification, both caused by climate change, can destroy coral reef ecosystems regardless of their location or proximity to human populations. And along the Florida coast, additional stressors of water pollution, new development, overfishing and disease outbreaks mean that even remaining coral cover is inadequate and unhealthy.

A Florida man who scooped up a downed power pole and planned to sell it for scrap was arrested, according to the state Highway Patrol.

Douglas Allen Hatley, 71, of Lakeland, found the downed power pole in Tampa on Monday, tied it to the roof of his burgundy 1997 Toyota sedan and allegedly tried to sell it to a recycling yard.

DGAJ4QZWZVHYLGXHLKQD7ENVA4.jpg

7 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Oh no!

I hope he didn't scratch the paint too badly.  Tom, is this you?

And that would be perfect for @Squeaky 's  ex   "he who shall not be named" catamaran.  Don't just recycle it!   Sheish...

the Pasco County, Florida Sherriff’s Department has begun using data on children who are struggling academically and have been abused, not to help those vulnerable children, but to prepare to arrest them by preemptively labeling 420 kids potential future criminals.According to the Tampa Bay Times, the Sherriff’s Office made its list using “rosters for most middle and high schools in the county with records so sensitive, they’re protected by state and federal law.” The data includes grades, school days missed, discipline referrals, and, most horrifically, whether or not the students have witnessed or experienced household violence. Based on any one of these factors, children are then flagged in the system without parent or guardians’ knowledge as potential criminals,

22 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Until I read he caption, I thought it might be Doug from Oklahoma with another mast for SV Seeker .

Where did these people get the money needed to build SV Seeker?  Shades of Reid Stowe, the plywood catamaran, and Tin Can Man!!

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

Where did these people get the money needed to build SV Seeker?  Shades of Reid Stowe, the plywood catamaran, and Tin Can Man!!

Although Doug from SV Seeker has a Patreon account and sells Seeker merch, he funded a sizable amount of the cost from his job, investments and retirement plan. He worked as a database administrator for a large company and pinched pennies for years.  Did you ever see his house in any of the videos?  It's very small.  He also DIYed many things on Seeker to save money, which causes me some concern.  The man has no concept of what the marine environment is like.  As you well know, when you are out in the middle of nowhere on a boat, good enough isn't always good enough.

He recently announced that the launch will be next July, I believe.  Sometime this coming summer anyway.  They will put the boat in the water at Tulsa and motor to the Mississippi river, where they will step the light pole masts, and then sail down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico. If the boat lasts that long. If they actually make it to blue water, then the fun will begin for real.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the background Ed!   One would think that I guy who is obviously smart and somewhat successful, would attempt to reinvent the wheel, so to speak?  A hundred year old Herreshoff design would likely be way more seaworthy, than that contraption!!

Just now, billy backstay said:

Thanks for the background Ed!   One would think that I guy who is obviously smart and somewhat successful, would attempt to reinvent the wheel, so to speak?  A hundred year old Herreshoff design would likely be way more seaworthy, than that contraption!!

Yeah, one would think so, but Doug is Doug and he has a dream.  You have to admire his gumption, when he started that monster 6 or 7 years ago, few people thought he would get this far.

He plans on providing the vessel free of charge except for fuel if large amounts are burned and a few other expenses.  He wants to offer the boat to any researcher to carry out their projects which is a noble thing.  The Seeker crew will be all volunteers.  He established a 501(c)(3) organization some time ago to keep all of the bookkeeping on the up and up.  

Doug's ideas are often good, some of his workarounds and improvisations are genius.  He has had actual experts in some areas come on occasion to Oklahoma and help him get things right, and he has relied on the hive mind of the internet to offer suggestions on a lot of things.  He often calls it "The boat the Internet built."  But he has never been out on salt water save for one day sail for a few hours in coastal water on a 4KSB in nice weather.  But I'm sure he has read some books and watched some movies!   

For anyone concerned about the governor here not doing enough about COVID, he announced from his lair yesterday (he's been holed up there since Nov 3) that he has 5 million syringes on order and will be ready to start distributing the vaccine once it's ready.

That means we can go back to the bars and celebrate now!

8 hours ago, Jules said:

For anyone concerned about the governor here not doing enough about COVID, he announced from his lair yesterday (he's been holed up there since Nov 3) that he has 5 million syringes on order and will be ready to start distributing the vaccine once it's ready.

That means we can go back to the bars and celebrate now!

did he confiscate them from all the meth heads?

21 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

...    ...

He recently announced that the launch will be next July, I believe.  Sometime this coming summer anyway.  They will put the boat in the water at Tulsa and motor to the Mississippi river, where they will step the light pole masts, and then sail down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico. If the boat lasts that long. If they actually make it to blue water, then the fun will begin for real.  

He's not going to "sail" down the Mississippi.

I don't see any locks on the dam at Keystone Lake just west of Tulsa, in fact the Google Maps images make it look like a sandy winding creek that would barely float a canoe much of the year. It starts to look navigable once you get east of Muskogee where it is joined by the Verdigris and Neosho Rivers (there was a USS Neosho btw). There's a place called Webbers Falls about 30 miles downstream (southeast) of Muskogee where there is a USCoE lock & dam, so he should be good to go from there on down.

My wife and I made the trip from Chicago down to the Gulf, we only went part way on the Mississippi so I can't claim to be an expert of rivers west of there. The Arkansas looks like it might be an interesting cruise. We really liked some of the rivers, but the Mississippi is a gritty industrial highway with few safe overnight refuges and no facilities for small boats, and a lot of large dangerous traffic in tows/pushboats.

I think there is a huge wake-up call awaiting somewhere west of Little Rock.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

Yesterday's paper reported that ICU units were filling up with COVID patients.

This morning's paper reported a huge parade yesterday where about 600 people participated, with many more watching.

Last night I heard a band rocking well into the wee hours, continuing the celebration.

16 minutes ago, IStream said:

Makes perfect sense. Any scientist could tell you that you don't get a vaccine without making sacrifices to the Vaccine Gods. 

Perhaps you are onto something here!

The vaccine is only being delayed due to the Gods wishing to inflict further punishment before being satisfied.

And here I was thinking it was all about US elections and silly earthly based conspiracies. 

Was it Justin Bieber that the Gods are still mad about?  Halftime shows? Rioters peacefully protesting?  The sale of FCA to Peugeot?

Or, more likely:

One of you lot bitching at the yacht club bar incessantly?  (you know who you are...)

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Jules said:

Yesterday's paper reported that ICU units were filling up with COVID patients.

This morning's paper reported a huge parade yesterday where about 600 people participated, with many more watching.

Last night I heard a band rocking well into the wee hours, continuing the celebration.

Ron White was right.

On 11/21/2020 at 4:27 AM, Ed Lada said:

Doug's ideas are often good, some of his workarounds and improvisations are genius.  He has had actual experts in some areas come on occasion to Oklahoma and help him get things right, and he has relied on the hive mind of the internet to offer suggestions on a lot of things.  He often calls it "The boat the Internet built."  But he has never been out on salt water save for one day sail for a few hours in coastal water on a 4KSB in nice weather.  But I'm sure he has read some books and watched some movies!   

Doug got his original hull 'design' advice from Brent Swain. Need I say more?

Agree about his workarounds & improvisations. His work ethic is truly impressive. I've gotten some good tips on metal casting off his earlier vids and his manufacture of replacement blades for his Hundested propellor was a fine piece of work.

But that hull is structurally inadequate IMO and he's got NFI about mass balance, displacement and vertical COG calcs. Nor do I, FWIW, but I'm friends with engineers who do, and I wasn't so arrogant as to think I could actually *design* a boat... I bought plans and followed them.

FKT

• Like 1
On 11/21/2020 at 4:40 AM, Blue Crab said:

FL is like  OZ without the long plane ride.

You could take the entire State of FL and drop it into a tiny part of OZ and we wouldn't even notice it was there.

Well, not as long as you de-populated it first anyway. Last thing we need is millions of Floriduh types.

So no, OZ is nothing like FL really.

2 hours ago, Gissie said:

Aus more than makes up for the guns with creatures that want to kill you.

4 tiger snakes seen in the last 2 days, closest one maybe 5m from the back door.

Shrug. Don't tread on them, no problem.

FKT

47 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:
2 hours ago, Gissie said:

Aus more than makes up for the guns with creatures that want to kill you.

4 tiger snakes seen in the last 2 days, closest one maybe 5m from the back door.

Shrug. Don't tread on them, no problem.

FKT

Guess you don't pee out the back door at night like Floridians do. 

And you gotta be VERY careful walking your dog

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-man-saves-puppy-dragged-122132873.html

TODAY

Florida man saves his puppy dragged into pond by alligator

I would say that Mr. Wilbanks earned his Florida Man Merit Badge. I've heard of people being severely injured... and one fatality... of people -trying- to rescue pets from alligators. And the gator was not that small, I saw the video clip on the news this morning.

Fricken things are everywhere down there. When I lived in Florida, I once called a neighbor to go let her dog in, quick, because there was about a 7' gator climbing her back fence. Fortunately it took him two or three tries (it was a 5 or 6 ft chain link fence) and by the time he got in, the dog was safely inside. He'd been barking at the thing. Dogs are not smart about dangerous creatures like snakes, snapping turtles, and gators.

- DSK

1 hour ago, Jules said:

And the guy never lost his cigar.  Next time your pet gets nabbed by a gator, call a Florida man!

Faaark - I've got bigger goannas round the place than that pathetic little thing.

FKT

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Faaark - I've got bigger goannas round the place than that pathetic little thing.

FKT

A gator that's 6' nose to tail doesn't look all that big. But their bite and their tails are monstrously strong. Their typical attack is to get a grip with a bite, then make a corkscrew lashing motion with the tail which either severs the body part in their bite, and/or breaks all major bones including the spine.

Man and dog in that news article / video were really lucky. If it had started thrashing while he was pulling his dog loose, it would have broken both his legs in the first instant and probably taken off a few fingers.

By Australian standards, yeah.... it's not even poisonous fer fucks sake! But they are not cuddly little safe critters

- DSK

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

A gator that's 6' nose to tail doesn't look all that big. But their bite and their tails are monstrously strong. Their typical attack is to get a grip with a bite, then make a corkscrew lashing motion with the tail which either severs the body part in their bite, and/or breaks all major bones including the spine.

Man and dog in that news article / video were really lucky. If it had started thrashing while he was pulling his dog loose, it would have broken both his legs in the first instant and probably taken off a few fingers.

By Australian standards, yeah.... it's not even poisonous fer fucks sake! But they are not cuddly little safe critters

- DSK

Yeah but that thing looks maybe 5' at most, more likely around 4'. Its body diameter is tiny indicating that it's pretty young. They get to a certain length then their girth/mass increases rapidly compared to the increase in body length.

I strongly doubt it could generate enough leverage to do what you say.

Bigger ones, sure, they're bad news. But at that size they're nothing to worry about. As I said, we have bigger land lizards than that thing. Goannas for example.

We've 2 species here - Crocodylus porosus & C. johnsoni. You don't fuck about with porosus, the saltwater croc, once they've grown. Johnsons river crocs are no threat and that one in the vid closely resembles a johnsoni at its current size.

FKT

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Yeah but that thing looks maybe 5' at most...

Disagree. Look at a still, the tip of the snout is a bit above the guy's hands, and it's front paws are about at water level. That's typically ~1/5 of it's body length. It's body girth looks too big to put both hands around... not impressive for size but it's all muscle (and almost-bulletproof hide).

It might be a 5 footer (which is about the biggest I've seen around here) but I think it's closer to 6 and could a bit more.

If it were -my- dog, I'd have tried to rescue it too... but grabbed some thing metal if handy rather than stick my hands in it's mouth.

It doesn't pay to underestimate wildlife. Some years back I was with a friend at an oceanside fishing pier, one of the big ones that go out 1/4 mile and are usually packed with fishermen. A man near us hauled up a small dogfish, which he did not know what it was. Being informed it was a shark, he said "Fuckin' pathetic little shark" and then promptly had two fingers bitten off as he was far too casual getting the hook out. Then it thrashed it way over the side, back into the ocean where it probably enjoyed it's lunch.

I have another alligator story that I think I've told here in SA before, also in Florida, about some Navy SEALs.

And yeah, our alligators are mild mannered little things compared to your salties, agreed

- DSK

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Disagree. Look at a still, the tip of the snout is a bit above the guy's hands, and it's front paws are about at water level. That's typically ~1/5 of it's body length. It's body girth looks too big to put both hands around... not impressive for size but it's all muscle (and almost-bulletproof hide).

It might be a 5 footer (which is about the biggest I've seen around here) but I think it's closer to 6 and could a bit more.

If it were -my- dog, I'd have tried to rescue it too... but grabbed some thing metal if handy rather than stick my hands in it's mouth.

It doesn't pay to underestimate wildlife. Some years back I was with a friend at an oceanside fishing pier, one of the big ones that go out 1/4 mile and are usually packed with fishermen. A man near us hauled up a small dogfish, which he did not know what it was. Being informed it was a shark, he said "Fuckin' pathetic little shark" and then promptly had two fingers bitten off as he was far too casual getting the hook out. Then it thrashed it way over the side, back into the ocean where it probably enjoyed it's lunch.

I have another alligator story that I think I've told here in SA before, also in Florida, about some Navy SEALs.

And yeah, our alligators are mild mannered little things compared to your salties, agreed

- DSK

From a study done by FSU:

After eight days and testing 60 subjects, Erickson and Vliet recorded a bite with 2,125 pounds of force from a 665-pound, 12-foot American alligator. That's a force equal to the weight of a small pickup truck. The biting force of smaller alligators and crocodiles were basically proportional to their size...

So if that little alligator was, let's say, 1/10 the weight of that 12 footer, about 65 pounds, it's bite force would be something in the range of 200+ pounds.  And, IIRC, once closed on prey, their jaws practically lock.  That old man seemed to open those jaws fairly easily.

Machete-wielding Maine woman charged with attempted murder in Sarasota County

VENICE – A couple was attacked in their sleep by a machete-wielding woman, according to the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office.

Alana Gibson, 27, formerly of Biddeford, Maine, then left in a truck and led authorities on a chase from Venice to the Charlotte County line before being stopped, an arrest report states.

Gibson who resides in Venice is being held in the Sarasota County Jail without bond.

See what happens when you move from Maine to Florida?

1 hour ago, Jules said:

Machete-wielding Maine woman charged with attempted murder in Sarasota County

VENICE – A couple was attacked in their sleep by a machete-wielding woman, according to the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office.

Alana Gibson, 27, formerly of Biddeford, Maine, then left in a truck and led authorities on a chase from Venice to the Charlotte County line before being stopped, an arrest report states.

Gibson who resides in Venice is being held in the Sarasota County Jail without bond.

See what happens when you move from Maine to Florida?

not much of a transition there!  

1 hour ago, chester said:

not much of a transition there!  

No kidding...  

Perhaps it was a decision that was made at the time of arrest?   Can you do that?

I'm thinking we are looking for a "get out of jail" free card.  Or some other half baked idea.

On 11/23/2020 at 6:04 PM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Yeah but that thing looks maybe 5' at most....   ...

The man who rescued his dog, Mr Wilbanks, was on the radio this morning giving a brief interview and said he thought it was about 5' long.

He also said he superglued the cuts on his fingers back together instead of letting the doctor stitch him up.

- DSK

On 11/26/2020 at 10:01 AM, Steam Flyer said:

The man who rescued his dog, Mr Wilbanks, was on the radio this morning giving a brief interview and said he thought it was about 5' long.

The paper here reported it as 4' long.

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

No men left in FL?

Who do you think flew over to the Badd Kitty to arrest her?

Not saying there's a special kind of stupid here but...

Florida has all but given the finger to medical professionals' recommendations regarding COVID.  When a nearby county saw a dramatic spike in COVID cases, a county official said it was a mystery to him how that happened.  He also said he wasn't ready to call it a spike.

My SO's boss has never worn a mask or done any social distancing and has even gone so far as to call employees wanting a mask policy "troublemakers."  Today he sends an email to all his employees and says he has COVID.  Then he added he has no idea how he got it.

6 minutes ago, Jules said:

Florida has all but given the finger to medical professionals' recommendations regarding COVID.  When a nearby county saw a dramatic spike in COVID cases, a county official said it was a mystery to him how that happened.  He also said he wasn't ready to call it a spike.

My SO's boss has never worn a mask or done any social distancing and has even gone so far as to call employees wanting a mask policy "troublemakers."  Today he sends an email to all his employees and says he has COVID.  Then he added he has no idea how he got it.

Thank god in PA, that's Pennsylvania, not that other hell,  and NJ we have draconian measures, no ETOH sales after 5pm thanksgiving Eve, no more indoor dining in Philly, etc. Yet we are still having a spike also. Two people i operated on today were both positive. Been wearing my mask since March when we were told 6 weeks was all we needed. At least they are having fun in Florida as they get it. 

10 hours ago, Jules said:

Cheer him up, tell him there are women who get pregnant and have no idea who the father is.

- DSK

6 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Cheer him up, tell him there are women who get pregnant and have no idea who the father is.

- DSK

Yes, they our ussialley parte of nomadice Amazonian Tribe priore to contacte withe monderne worlde.                                    :)