Don't MoveTo Florida

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In our more rural areas there are a lot of freely accessible groves, most of them with old trees and fruits. These have been outshadowed by modern "industrial" species and those are usually heavily sp

That explains a lot. I suspect that amoeba's been active in Florida for quite some time...

From Twitter: On behalf of the State of Florida, I apologize for Marco Rubio. And Rick Scott. And Matt Gaetz. And Greg Steube. And Ron DeSantis. But not Donald Trump. Until someone can prove h

Posted Images

Florida has further burnished its reputation for exotic, and deadly, wildlife with the discovery of three Nile crocodiles near Miami – a good 6,000 miles from where the huge predators are normally found.

DNA analysis has confirmed that three animals captured in south Florida between 2009 and 2014 are true Nile crocodiles. The reptiles can grow up to 20ft (6 meters) long, weigh as much as a small car and have a reputation for being ferocious man-eaters, with an estimated 200 people a year meeting their demise in the jaws of a Nile crocodile.

5 hours ago, Windward said:

Awesome...  I am going to use this in context for a meeting this week regarding a particular individual.

Thanks!

I can do better. The line came from a bud, Mr Billy Todd of NC,  musician, biker, hard core real deal. A cracker plain and simple. Dying soon of cancer.

We were comparing our hermitry. He won the day with, "yeah ... well I live by myself at the end of a dirt road." 

(If he had a dog he would have mentioned it.)  

(s) Debbie Downer

9 minutes ago, Jules said:

Then the locals have to bring in more dangerous species...

No doubt. There's a really nasty caiman that's likely been imported. Then got too difficult. Got released. That's ignorance, not husbandry. They should have killed them.

Because pythons. 

3 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:

This morning it was colder in Hobe sound fl. (51) then riverhead ny (57), wtf

They are talking about lows possible in the upper 30s here tonight.

We put up Christmas lights today.  Temps probably never topped low 60s.

We finished the back just as the sun set.  Temp was low 50s.  But I was dressed for it.  No more tank tops.  I had to pull out a short sleeved T-shit.  Still had shorts on though. I love this weather.  It's like spring in Chicago.

1 hour ago, Jules said:

We finished the back just as the sun set.  Temp was low 50s.  But I was dressed for it.  No more tank tops.  I had to pull out a short sleeved T-shit.  Still had shorts on though. I love this weather.  It's like spring in Chicago.

Winter in hot climates - good. Summer, not so good.

Which is why I spend 9 months in Tasmania and the winter 3 months in Sydney.

FKT

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Jules said:

Stay a few more years and your blood will thin out and you'll be wearing wool and parkas like I was at sunset yesterday.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Quotidian Tom said:

Stay a few more years and your blood will thin out and you'll be wearing wool and parkas like I was at sunset yesterday.

I was told I'd get used to it in 3 years.  We just went through our 6th summer here and I still haven't acclimated.

A week ago where I live there was a snowstorm that dropped a foot of snow (not unusual this time of year).  Since then, the temperatures have been just above freezing and its been raining. 

There are no outdoor activities that are comfortable or feasible in these conditions.  

1 hour ago, Bugsy said:

A week ago where I live there was a snowstorm that dropped a foot of snow (not unusual this time of year).  Since then, the temperatures have been just above freezing and its been raining. 

There are no outdoor activities that are comfortable or feasible in these conditions.  

There is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate attire. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jules said:

I was told I'd get used to it in 3 years.  We just went through our 6th summer here and I still haven't acclimated.

You get used to the lack of cold winter more quickly than the heat of summer. We have friends here who moved down from Minnesota. Their second winter here, they were complaining about one of our rare (every other year or so, on average) ice storms with accompanying near-zero weather... for a couple of days at most.

When I lived in Jacksonville FLA, I had co-workers show up on chilly mornings... in the 50sF... wearing parkas and mittens and apologizing for being late because their car was "froze up."

- DSK

2 hours ago, dyslexic dog said:

After I read this I started recalling the attire I'd wear when

• Downhill skiing
  • Cross country skiing
  • Snowmobiling
  • Shoveling snow
  • Working in unheated buildings
  • Working outside

Each was a little different than the other.  But if you knew the right clothing combinations, you'd stay toasty all day.

The first snow of the season here.  In the last few years we haven't had any real winter.  Snow accumulation for the entire season averages about 6-10 inches total.  Temps are rarely lower than the mid 20s, and that's in the middle of the night.

I am not a big fan of winter, I saw more than enough snow growing up in Erie, PA.

I felt inspired to to express my feelings today by composing a little haiku after looking at my Japanese garden .

Snow falls on bamboo
Delicate leaves shiver from cold
Where are you summer?

bamboo1.jpg

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Jules said:

After I read this I started recalling the attire I'd wear when

• Downhill skiing
  • Cross country skiing
  • Snowmobiling
  • Shoveling snow
  • Working in unheated buildings
  • Working outside

Each was a little different than the other.  But if you knew the right clothing combinations, you'd stay toasty all day.

• Ice fishing
  • at work (salt plant)on the roof using a hose to resolve a problem under  a salt pile @-10 f , 20kn tws
On 12/2/2020 at 6:23 AM, Jules said:

It doesn't seem to be working. You might want to move back.

On 12/2/2020 at 8:58 AM, dyslexic dog said:

To get the mail this morning, I had a t-shirt, a flannel shirt, a sweatshirt, a parka, a double layer wool hat, thick sweat pants, and (I admit) Crocs with socks. It was a little above 40 at the time. How'd I do?

59 minutes ago, Quotidian Tom said:

To get the mail this morning, I had a t-shirt, a flannel shirt, a sweatshirt, a parka, a double layer wool hat, thick sweat pants, and (I admit) Crocs with socks. It was a little above 40 at the time. How'd I do?

You did great!   That's just about right.  

Wait:  you wrote 40?   That is appropriate for MINUS 40.  Did you forget the "-"?  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bugsy said:

Wait:  you wrote 40?   That is appropriate for MINUS 40.  Did you forget the "-"?  

Hah! The Crocs with socks (thin cotton ones, not my thick wool ones) wouldn't be much fun in -40.

51 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

You've officially been wussified by FL.

I was born here so I think I came this way. I get chilly when air temp drops below 80 and won't get in water that is below 80.

• Like 1

From The Onion

I'm not sure if this should be posted here or in the NFL thread

Jacksonville Couple Successfully Mates To Help Save Endangered Jaguars Fan Base

JACKSONVILLE, FL—Scoring a victory for NFL preservationists worried that these rare creatures could disappear forever, local Jacksonville couple Michael Larson, 30, and Brittany Gill, 28, successfully mated Tuesday in an attempt to help save the endangered Jaguars fan base. “This population has dwindled down to practically nothing over the last decade, so any news of potential new Jaguars fan being born is wonderful,” said local Jaguars activist Brian Hodge, who claimed that without additional breeding programs and support from the local government, the next generation may never see these beautiful fans in their black, teal, and gold coats. “Jaguars fans occupy a very small habitat along the Atlantic coast where they are in constant threat by encroaching Bucs and Falcons markets. Sadly, many young Jacksonville fans will die in boating or hunting accidents before reaching sexual maturity, but once they breed they can produce a dozen offspring, and most of those will go on to become adult Jaguars fans. So we still have hope this population will endure.” At press time, the survival of the young Jaguars fan was in question after the mother lost her job at Hobby Lobby and started talking about moving to Houston.

image.gif

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Bugsy said:

At 40 around here I see people in shorts and T-shirts.

They aren't the norm but still...

Southerners are pussies about temperature.

• Like 2

Good friends bought a mcmansion in North Ft Myers. It's on a canal, they put a 60 foot motor yacht on the dock. My wife and I booked flights for the last week of January into February. By then we'll need a good thawing out. 

What should I expect?

19 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

At 40 around here I see people in shorts and T-shirts.

They aren't the norm but still...

I was out doing work around the house yesterday.  Temps started out in the 40s.  Had on shorts, a T-shirt and a zippered sweatshirt.  About an hour later, the sweatshirt came off.  About an hour after the T-shirt was changed out for a tank top.  And I was still warm.  But it was great not being microwaved.

1 hour ago, bmiller said:

Good friends bought a mcmansion in North Ft Myers. It's on a canal, they put a 60 foot motor yacht on the dock. My wife and I booked flights for the last week of January into February. By then we'll need a good thawing out. 

What should I expect?

Depends on how you do in cool weather.  If you're wearing sweaters when it's in the 60s, bring a sweater and light jacket for the early mornings and evenings when it could get down into the low 50s.  Occasionally it gets cold like the spell we're having now but that's not the norm.  This is what you can reasonably expect:

947957752_2340677-500-temperature-f-en1.gif.3e39c14b373d03000b6803cad6f9323a.gif

On 12/3/2020 at 7:25 AM, Quotidian Tom said:

It doesn't seem to be working. You might want to move back.

Jesus, Robe shorts and a t shirt and slippers, there is snow on the ground and it is about 30.  WTF??   Put the lights up the other day in 20degrees, 10 kts from the north nighttime.  Jeans, Patagonia and a t-shirt.  Buck up Snowflake...  LOL

1 hour ago, Jules said:

Depends on how you do in cool weather.  If you're wearing sweaters when it's in the 60s, bring a sweater and light jacket for the early mornings and evenings when it could get down into the low 50s.  Occasionally it gets cold like the spell we're having now but that's not the norm.  This is what you can reasonably expect:

947957752_2340677-500-temperature-f-en1.gif.3e39c14b373d03000b6803cad6f9323a.gif

When I was a kid (under 6)I had health probs and had to spend a couple winters in the VW Van with mum and the grandparents (VW Van, tent camping)the keys.  Saw it snow there once..  ;)

On 12/4/2020 at 7:14 AM, bmiller said:

What should I expect?

Florida Man. Or, if you're lucky, Naked Florida Man. Just keep a camera rolling at all times.

On 12/5/2020 at 2:02 PM, Quotidian Tom said:

Florida Man. Or, if you're lucky, Naked Florida Man. Just keep a camera rolling at all times.

Nice try Tom, but I don't think you can scare him off that easily.

5 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

He should be duct-taped to Rudy and dropped into the Gulf Stream from 30,000 feet.

But I'm a little biased.

Being duct taped to Rudy might be considered cruel and unusual punishment.

On 12/7/2020 at 9:32 PM, IStream said:

De Santis is gonna regret this.

One of his appointees resigned calling this action "unconscionable".

I remember right after she was fired seeing the COVID numbers drop like a rock. 

But don't let this taint your idea of Florida justice.  The other day they released a man who served 31 years of a 90 year sentence for selling pot.  I don't know why they didn't just execute him back then.  Could have saved the taxpayers enough money to raid the homes of so many more of the governor's political foes.

2 minutes ago, Jules said:

One of his appointees resigned calling this action "unconscionable".

I remember right after she was fired seeing the COVID numbers drop like a rock. 

But don't let this taint your idea of Florida justice.  The other day they released a man who served 31 years of a 90 year sentence for selling pot.  I don't know why they didn't just execute him back then.  Could have saved the taxpayers enough money to raid the homes of so many more of the governor's political foes.

Being cynical is not going to help.  Perhaps if we open up the armories so everyone has at least one assault weapon.  We can fix this.  I have visions of a circular firing squad.

9 minutes ago, hasher said:

Being cynical is not going to help.  Perhaps if we open up the armories so everyone has at least one assault weapon.  We can fix this.  I have visions of a circular firing squad.

If the problem can't be solved, it must be eliminated kind of thing?  That works.

9 hours ago, hasher said:

Many of us already have (assault weapons, ordinary .22's) and there might even be some clueless .22 owners who don't know they possess assault weapons.

1 minute ago, Quotidian Tom said:

Many of us already have (assault weapons, ordinary .22's) and there might even be some clueless .22 owners who don't know they possess assault weapons.

Are you standing in a circle and ready to shoot for freedom?

• Like 1
Just now, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

well if we can get Ga to stop sucking, maybe y'all will fall off into the ocean?

If you are speaking of the great state of Atlanta, we have little chance of falling into the sea.  There was a little earthquake.

19 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

That was pretty impressive. We watched a seagull eat a 6" purple starfish over the course of a couple of hours. That was amazing. Arms sticking out the neck all the way down.

On 12/3/2020 at 7:52 AM, Ed Lada said:

The first snow of the season here.  In the last few years we haven't had any real winter.  Snow accumulation for the entire season averages about 6-10 inches total.  Temps are rarely lower than the mid 20s, and that's in the middle of the night.

I am not a big fan of winter, I saw more than enough snow growing up in Erie, PA.

I felt inspired to to express my feelings today by composing a little haiku after looking at my Japanese garden .

Snow falls on bamboo
Delicate leaves shiver from cold
Where are you summer?

bamboo1.jpg

Snow hardy bamboo! Whodathunkit? That's awesome, a little bit of the DMZ in your own back yard!

We've been searching for a pampas grass that is hardy in our climate zone here in Maine but no joy. I imagine if there was such a thing it would be incredibly invasive, sorta like a grass zilla, so probably just as well.

2 hours ago, Willin' said:

Snow hardy bamboo! Whodathunkit? That's awesome, a little bit of the DMZ in your own back yard!

We've been searching for a pampas grass that is hardy in our climate zone here in Maine but no joy. I imagine if there was such a thing it would be incredibly invasive, sorta like a grass zilla, so probably just as well.

The first few winters I lived in Poland it was quite cold and we had a moderate amount of snow.  The last few winters, the temperatures are rarely below freezing and we only get a dusting of snow.  The climate was similar to what I experienced when I lived in Tokyo, where bamboo grows in gardens and also out in the wild, so I figured it can survive here as well.  The garden people agreed so there it is!  

Bamboo can be very invasive however this variety is called clumping bamboo and it isn't supposed to spread.  The lady that did the garden also put 3' high heavy plastic in the ground all around the bamboo to keep it in check just in case.  It has new shoots, but they are within the plastic boundary.  

6 hours ago, Willin' said:

we have some bamboo , it's hardy down to 20*F...  then the canes will die down to the roots... they'll come back in a year or so

clumping is the only variety to get...  barrier really not necessary unless she doesn't know her varieties..

A Florida youth football coach received a life-time ban from a national organization following a troubling incident that occurred earlier this week.

The coach of the Savanah, Georgia 9-and-under team was caught on tape aggressively striking a player on the helmet twice. An incident report obtained by Yahoo Sports identified the man as Gerrel Williams.

The first strike was enough to knock the child off balance. After walking away for a few seconds, the coach returned for another blow, this time knocking his player to the ground. Williams continued to scream in the player’s face until finally shoving him off the field.

7 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Bamboo can be very invasive

No kidding. I have confined mine using a moat.

Curricane Charley knocked over a big cluster and I was soooo happy to be rid of it. I cut away the trunks (up to 70 feet long) and attacked the remaining root ball with my neighbor's backhoe. It did nothing. I told my neighbor, who brought his other, stronger backhoe over and I thought he was going to destroy the machine trying to take it out. Still no luck. Then another neighbor rented a bulldozer the size of a house. He rammed it and almost nothing happened but I did see it move a bit. On the second, harder strike, it came free from the ground. I hauled it out into a field and left it there to die. It didn't get the message. It's a clump of 60-70' tall trees again.

12 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

we have some bamboo , it's hardy down to 20*F...  then the canes will die down to the roots... they'll come back in a year or so

clumping is the only variety to get...  barrier really not necessary unless she doesn't know her varieties..

She put in the barrier just to be sure.  The material wasn't very expensive and there is a lot of garden around the bamboo with many other things growing.  It was just a 'better safe than sorry' kind of thing.

In recent years we rarely get down to 20 degrees and if it does, it is only for a few nighttime hours and not sustained.  

8 hours ago, Quotidian Tom said:

No kidding. I have confined mine using a moat.

Curricane Charley knocked over a big cluster and I was soooo happy to be rid of it. I cut away the trunks (up to 70 feet long) and attacked the remaining root ball with my neighbor's backhoe. It did nothing. I told my neighbor, who brought his other, stronger backhoe over and I thought he was going to destroy the machine trying to take it out. Still no luck. Then another neighbor rented a bulldozer the size of a house. He rammed it and almost nothing happened but I did see it move a bit. On the second, harder strike, it came free from the ground. I hauled it out into a field and left it there to die. It didn't get the message. It's a clump of 60-70' tall trees again.

When I lived in Japan, I heard that the best place to be in an earthquake was in a  bamboo forest.  The root system is so tight that it holds the ground together and prevents fissures opening.  It also holds the bamboo securely and it just sways as the earth shakes.

I'll probably be long gone before my bamboo is this big!  Right know they are 1 to 2 1/2 meters tall and about 1/2 inch around maximum.

(internet photo)

kyoto-arashiyama-bamboo-grove-213958.jpg

• Like 2

Worst weed we got is a 8 ft purple ornamental bamboo. Hits 20 below 0 f. in winter here. Survives in thick stands in stream banks. It grows even under Black Walnuts in my back yard. I get the Machete  out to control it. I Hate the stuff.

• Like 1
“Full of bogs and poisonous fruits, barren, and the worst country that is warmed by the sun,” are the words of the 16th century Spanish explorer, Hernando de Soto about Florida.

Could be a quirk of translation but I think he meant to say "baked by the sun." Don't move here, and if you do make that mistake, own up to it and leave!

NEW YORK (AP) — A Delta flight out of New York City was halted after a Florida couple traveling with a Great Dane puppy fled the aircraft with the pet using an emergency slide, an airline spokesman and authorities said Tuesday.

The incident involving Antonio Murdock and Brianna Greco occurred on Monday as the jet was leaving for a flight from LaGuardia Airport to Atlanta, said the spokesperson, Morgan Durrant.

Witnesses reported seeing a panicky Murdock force open the front cabin door and jump out using the emergency chute leading to the runway. He was quickly followed by Greco with the puppy in tow.

7 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Polytelum Tom

Now this is the correct name. Poly= many + tell 'em ............................ Tom tells us the very same thing over and over and over and over ...

(ordinary .22s) 

Sorry as usual about the Koch-$pon$ored Trump cheerleading. 

Gotta love a guy who indexes his own posts so he can repost as the whim dictates. We luv ya Tom ... but it ain't all that easy.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:

stupid people build stupid houses in the wrong places, and who pays for the beach restoration "taxpayers" 

East View

Newton, in Baker County, Georgia, has no town center left.  FEMA cleared the land.  Not too smart to keep rebuilding on regularly flooded property.  Of course if you keep getting bailed out, there is little disincentive.

2 hours ago, hasher said:

Newton, in Baker County, Georgia, has no town center left.  FEMA cleared the land.  Not too smart to keep rebuilding on regularly flooded property.  Of course if you keep getting bailed out, there is little disincentive.

no beach front property should be insurable..  make people think twice about building there...

I'm sitting along the intercoastal and I've been watching pontoon tourist boats sightseeing with twenty people sitting together. Not a mask in sight. All day long. It's nuts. 

A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the heard is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first.    hopefully, darwin will catch up fast..

4 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

time to ban fertilizers along the waterway,  but no worries, when caps melt, the new water will help clean it up...

Agree I wonder fertilizer a golf course uses ? there are 1250 golf course in Florida at 200 acres per or 250,000 acres , that an awful of fertilizer. 

New /more water better for us sailors, bring it on

59 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:

Agree I wonder fertilizer a golf course uses ? there are 1250 golf course in Florida at 200 acres per or 250,000 acres , that an awful of fertilizer. 

That's half the area we have planted in sugar, which is just one crop. Golf courses are a drop in the bucket.

33 minutes ago, Polytelum Tom said:

That's half the area we have planted in sugar, which is just one crop. Golf courses are a drop in the bucket.

just a pet peeve , as live across the street from one, and between fertilizer, and who what else they put down ( agent orange <LOL) and hearing the movers, weed whackers , leaf blows at 5 in the morning, they suck,

but take lake O and rivers leaving it, signs "DON'T TOUCH THE WATER" WTF

Florida big sugar, largest # of cattle in the US , and other crops, and of course HOA's are always spraying , cutting, blowing.........

so bring on global warming

4 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

doesn't make a difference,  it's all high nitrogen... all the stuff feeds on this     all those red tides, fueled by phospahtes..

https://apnews.com/article/united-states-algae-4d9b64798fd47d91e7a02c3869eeeac7

Adam Johnson, 36, of Parrish, Florida, was charged with one count of knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority; one count of theft of government property; and one count of violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia said. Authorities identified him as the man photographed carrying the lectern of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif. Johnson was being held in Pinellas County jail Saturday on hold for a U.S. Marshal warrant, county jail records show.

7 hours ago, dyslexic dog said:

Adam Johnson, 36, of Parrish, Florida, was charged with one count of knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority; one count of theft of government property; and one count of violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia said. Authorities identified him as the man photographed carrying the lectern of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif. Johnson was being held in Pinellas County jail Saturday on hold for a U.S. Marshal warrant, county jail records show.

Raises two questions:

Since Parrish is in Manatee County, why is he in Pinellas?

When is this thread going to be moved to PA?

On 1/8/2021 at 9:31 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

doesn't make a difference,  it's all high nitrogen... all the stuff feeds on this     all those red tides, fueled by phospahtes..

https://apnews.com/article/united-states-algae-4d9b64798fd47d91e7a02c3869eeeac7

I've seen calculations that show the load is so high that even with an outright ban, it would take a lifetime to wash out and stabilize.

There is that salt-tolerant grass for the golf courses, paspalum, supposedly they don't even need to use herbicides, they just run some saltwater through the sprinklers which the grass loves, and kills off the weeds, and then they run freshwater back through the sprinklers to keep it from corroding. Are more golf courses using that in Florida yet?

Any sign of those salt tolerant crops there from Israel and Jordan yet? I had one of the seawater-irrigated tomatoes, it was tasty, like someone threw some salt on it.

On 1/8/2021 at 7:43 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

time to ban fertilizers along the waterway

Easier said than done.  The runoff is either going to go into the ground and possibly affect the underground water or it will eventually find it way to the waterways.  Kind of hard to have agriculture without fertilizer.  What to do, what to do.

Where I grew up in NW Pennsylvania on the Lake Erie shoreline, there are a lot of farms, mostly fruit, apples, grapes, cherries, etc.  Fertilizer runoff has created many problems in Lake Erie and the other Great Lakes.  They have taken some measures but it's difficult.  Fortunately the watershed where I lived is very narrow along the lake shore.   Only a few miles to the south is a ridgeline. Everything north of the ridge runs into Lake Erie.  Everything on the south side goes into some small rivers, then the Allegheny river,  merges with the Monongahela river at Pittsburgh to form the Ohio river, and then into the Mississippi river and eventually ends up in the Gulf of Mexico.  One hell of a trip!   

Fun fact of the day.  There are different ways to determine the source of a river.  The most common, logical way is to follow the obvious course.  That's why Lake Itasca is considered the source of the mighty Mississippi.  But if you measure by water volume from each tributary the Mississippi starts about 20 miles from my birthplace in PA.  The Ohio river has the 2nd largest discharge in cubic ft. per second, of rivers completely within the US and is the largest tributary feeding the Mississippi river.  The discharge of the Ohio river is a little less than half that of the Mississippi.  That's still a lot of water.  The Ohio river discharge is more than 3 times that of the of the Mississippi's other major tributary, the Missouri river.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

dang, what did all those farmers do before the 1950's ?..

Yea,  crop rotation, cover crops, fish emulsions etc. all broomed out the door by BIG AG CHEM