Don't MoveTo Florida

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In our more rural areas there are a lot of freely accessible groves, most of them with old trees and fruits. These have been outshadowed by modern "industrial" species and those are usually heavily sp

Yeah this. We used to have 'free campers' coming and staying a day or 2 on private land outside our back gate and on a line to our access to the waterfront. One day we got a mouthful about going throu

i'm not afraid of the brain eating amoeba in texas,  there aren't enough brains in the state to support an epidemic..

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

I get Tom Petty.  Really. All the action anyone could  want and none of us wore underwear ... but a whole fucking song about "Free Ballin' ...?" 

Come on man.

Theire wase th e 'Commando" faize foire a whille, ist that what you meane?

On 1/22/2021 at 8:44 PM, Snaggletooth said:

Nah. It was a joke of a malaprop. Come on, even Hank Aaron didn't hit it out of the park every time. 

• Like 1
Just now, Blue Crab said:
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2021 at 8:44 PM, Snaggletooth said:

Nah. It was a joke of a malaprop. Come on, even Hank Aaron didn't hit it out of the park every time.

Ime am OK with that.............                :)

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

Next joke from WAPO 1/22/21: 

Trump made official what has always been obvious: He’s Florida Man

Its bad enough his entire fucking clan is moving down here.....

After seeing some of Sol's pix from Key West I decided to search out campground rates in the keys. My wife has never been to Florida and despite my reluctance to ever go there again, this particular winter seemed like a good time to be a little flexible since we're locked down inside the States.

JFC!!!! Prices starting at the mid $130s/night and up from there... to park our little camper...to sleep in our own unit... are you fucking shitting me?

Never mind. Flexibility off! Your dead to me Florida.

I told her to just hang on, we'll save that money and explore Barbados and the Grenadines for a month when the blockade is lifted.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

Its bad enough his entire fucking clan is moving down here.....

Classic case of "You can't go home again".

5 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

That family will give those fucking pythons a challenge. Probably stop that northern  expansion right there in Palm Beach. 

That I would be ok with.  I'm half hour north of WPB, they all can stay down there.

Dunno why they don't put a $25 bounty on all pythons and $50 for mature females before the snakes eat everything in the ecosystem. Actually, we all know why: FLORIDUH.

38 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

That family will give those fucking pythons a challenge.

FLA needes togette an evergladdes versione of  Billey frome Alakas Bushe Peopel.  Offere hime and familey $5 foire everey pythone carcasse they brige in.  Thelle digge in and elliminate the overt populatted snacke in a hotte minitte........   mabey macke to hunnette dolleres a daye.                  :)

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

FLA needes togette an evergladdes versione of  Billey frome Alakas Bushe Peopel.  Offere hime and familey $5 foire everey pythone carcasse they brige in.  Thelle digge in and elliminate the overt populatted snacke in a hotte minitte........   mabey macke to hunnette dolleres a daye.                  :)

There is a show about a bunch of snake hunters in the everglades.  Forget the name, but I know there are people that just do that for a living.

5 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Dunno why they don't put a $25 bounty on all pythons and $50 for mature females before the snakes eat everything in the ecosystem. Actually, we all know why: FLORIDUH.

um, they do,  they're also hoping to lose some rednecks in the process..

That's why the state started the bounty program, in which registered hunters earn a minimum wage rate for up to 10 hours of work a day, plus a bonus for their catch: $50 for each python measuring up to four feet plus $25 more for each foot measured above four feet

4 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

There is a show about a bunch of snake hunters in the everglades.  Forget the name, but I know there are people that just do that for a living.

Just a little too late, it would seem...

enhance

• Like 1
On 1/22/2021 at 3:16 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i thought the official term was "fucking whiteheads"

Snowballs.

If you look through the rear car window and all you can see is a tuft of white hair between two bony hands on the steering wheel, you've got an unguided missile ahead of you.

6 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Snowballs.

If you look through the rear car window and all you can see is a tuft of white hair between two bony hands on the steering wheel, you've got an unguided missile ahead of you.

We called em Q-Tips over in Pinellas County.

4 minutes ago, burndoc said:

For my own knowledge, how do you separate the visiting old people from the native old people? 

Tooth count?

49 minutes ago, burndoc said:

For my own knowledge, how do you separate the visiting old people from the native old people? 

Accents, attitude and license plates.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, burndoc said:

The natives don't drive  large fancy cars. And don't get their hair did.

5 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Boy that pisses me off! specially when it's my turn signal!

I had a 68 Pontiac.  If I hit a large enough pothole the lever went down for a left turn.

Annoying "feature"

4 minutes ago, Windward said:

I had a 68 Pontiac.  If I hit a large enough pothole the lever went down for a left turn.

Annoying "feature"

Built well enough to survive the pothole though.

1 minute ago, burndoc said:

Built well enough to survive the pothole though.

Philadelphia had some whoppers...  but yes.   The potholes were the least of it's issues.  My teenage driving style, choices and money were more an issue for that poor car.

15 hours ago, Gissie said:

I remember the old wingdicators. 

If you are refurbishing an old VW, now those things cost a king's fortune.   > $400 on Ebay for a set.  A lot of money for a bad idea that never worked very well.   

23 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Remember the early VW imports that had little "indicators" about a foot long? No annoying lights. Those Germans! So clever. 

Trafficators. Lots of British cars had them before the blinker device was invented for tail lights.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Trafficators. Lots of British cars had them before the blinker device was invented for tail lights.

my mom's uncle had an old austin that had them - i found it pretty odd when i was a kid...

I was driving my Expedition last week and suddenly the loud ding-ding-ding warning started sounding very rapidly, I looked at the dash and saw that oh shit, one of the turn signals is blinking and figured something electronic was making the car spaz out. Turns out I’d been driving with the turn signal on after the turn I’d made a few minutes before, the warning came on to let me know to “shut the damn thing off, idiot”. Didn’t know that was a feature but sounds like it should be a required feature for old timers (along with a “get out of the left lane” alarm).

• Like 2
7 hours ago, WhoaTed said:

I was driving my Expedition last week and suddenly the loud ding-ding-ding warning started sounding very rapidly, I looked at the dash and saw that oh shit, one of the turn signals is blinking and figured something electronic was making the car spaz out. Turns out I’d been driving with the turn signal on after the turn I’d made a few minutes before, the warning came on to let me know to “shut the damn thing off, idiot”. Didn’t know that was a feature but sounds like it should be a required feature for old timers (along with a “get out of the left lane” alarm).

And if that didn't work, the death laser. 

31 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

He reminds me of Randy Hickey on 'My Name is Earl'

My Name Is Earl Quotes. QuotesGram

except randy wasn't quite as dumb as he looked AND was a caring person...the florida guy's eyes say stupidly malevolent

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Not for nothing said:

how about some Florida women arrested

now that's scaryFlorida woman arrested for threatening to “shoot everyone” at nearest  elementary school

Harley, did you get out of your cage again? 

The Most Important Life Lesson from The Joker | by Gen Cruz | Medium

On 1/24/2021 at 3:26 PM, Jkdubz808 said:

Watched it with the wifie.  It was the one with the Gator guys and others from other animal planet/discovery shows.  They have some Huge Balls..  They took a swamp buggy in there and Literally took on the snakes.  One was in a tree and Man, those fuckers can fly...  Respect.  I guess they only got paid if they were alive, so there is that..  They showed one snake that ate a fucking deer....  Snake died, but the damn thing was in it's belly...  

On 2/8/2021 at 5:19 PM, Not for nothing said:

I didn't listen to the audio.

Was the shark sick?   I can't imagine it was happy being in that shallow water.

I know that sometimes sharks and orcas chase stuff into (and on) the beach, but this one looked just lost.

17 minutes ago, Windward said:

I know that sometimes sharks and orcas chase stuff into (and on) the beach, but this one looked just lost.

not sick to as far as I know , it's been hanging around the ditch from jupiter ( not the planet)to Stuart for about a week or so.

I saw a 15'ft hammerhead feeding on a ray, in 3' of water in the Bahama's years ago, we were going to go snorkeling , it changed our plans real quick

4 hours ago, Windward said:

was sitting on a seawall at the boat yard having a smoke

water was about 3 ft deep at high tide maybe two feet below the wall

first a single cuda swam by about 3 ft

then it got spooked and swam off fast

as two much bigger cudas came by 5 ft at minimum

then they got spooked and swam off fast

and here come a full grown hammerhead who's body draft took all the water fin fully out in the air

we pulled up our feet or we could have touched the fin

hammerheads love the shallows and often bite people in very shallow waters

26 minutes ago, nota said:

and here come a full grown hammerhead who's body draft took all the water fin fully out in the air

In the vid, it seemed pretty clear he was feeding.

2 hours ago, nota said:

bareback cruise on a ketch to the bahama's while in college,  crossing a lagoon to the island on the other side, sitting on bow with legs dangling on each side..  looks like we were going to hit a log... just as we were about to go over it,  it swished it's tail,  must have been 15'..     when we went snorkling,  my head was on a swivel keeping an eye out for that sucker..   good thing visibility in the water was like 100' or more..

4 hours ago, dolphinmaster said:
5 hours ago, nota said:

In the vid, it seemed pretty clear he was feeding.

That's what i thought, lots of stuff to eat on the tidal shelf when it's the right time.

I was kind-of surfing with friends (that's where you use any of a variety of floating objects like those '60s mod-looking inflatable chairs, instead of a real surfboard) at Topsail when a big hammerhead cruised past me on the face of a wave. I was holding a girl's legs to launch her on a wave, and turned to look at the next wave to ride in, and there he was... looked primordial and very threatening.  He came within about ten feet of me and the span of his head looked huge! I beat the girl to the beach. None of my friends saw it and refused to believe me.

- DSK

• Like 1
On 1/24/2021 at 7:27 PM, dyslexic dog said:

If any of you have read this, you will understand the humor as it relates to this topic.

image.png.958101bc8035ee0a4e75f26957b71068.png

HIs best ever!!  Spoiler alert, don't scroll down if you haven't read this yet!!!

The return of Skink!!!  "Mastodon" is Trump for sure!! LOL!

ORANGE CITY, Fla. (AP) — A Florida man stole an engagement ring and wedding bands from a girlfriend and used them to propose to another girlfriend, according to authorities.

Volusia County Sheriff’s deputies said Thursday they have issued an arrest warrant for Joseph Davis, 48, who had not been found as of Friday.

Their investigation started earlier this year when a woman from Orange City, Florida, told detectives she had discovered her boyfriend was actually engaged to someone else. When she looked up the fiancée’s Facebook page, she noticed a photo of her wearing a wedding band and engagement ring that was identical to her own from a prior marriage, the sheriff’s office said in a news release.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis threatened Wednesday to withhold or transfer COVID vaccines from counties that criticize the state’s distribution plan.

DeSantis was responding to criticism after allocating 3,000 extra vaccines for wealthy west Florida areas, including a planned community that is owned by the family of one of his campaign donors, the South Florida Sun Sentinel.

the pop-up clinic was placed inside Lakewood Ranch, which has a median yearly household income of nearly $90,000, the Herald reported. The site was scheduled to vaccine 1,000 people each day from Wednesday to Friday.

Lakewood Ranch is owned by the Uihlein family. Dick Uihlein donated $900,000 to DeSantis’ campaign in 2018 and 2019

12 hours ago, LarryE said:

With all that's bad about Fl. sailing tomorrow 87 deg. 

I can live with rest.

Been here all my life and don't plan to change that.

yabut it's supposed to go all the way down to a low around 50 here on Saturday morning. Brrrrrrrr!

On 2/10/2021 at 10:07 PM, nota said:

I was on Waikiki beach one night in Honolulu walking in the shallow water.  There were floodlights from a hotel that lit up the water pretty well.  I noticed something moving where the tiny waves were breaking.  I looked closer and it was a hammerhead about 3' long.  I thought about it for a minute and decided maybe mama wasn't far away.  I got out of the water.

53 minutes ago, Pedagogical Tom said:

yabut it's supposed to go all the way down to a low around 50 here on Saturday morning. Brrrrrrrr!

I have a race Sunday.

Only going to be 70. May have to cancel.

21 hours ago, LarryE said:

I have a race Sunday.

Only going to be 70. May have to cancel.

Speaking of sissies canceling races, the Valentines Day Massacre Regatta was cancelled last weekend. I got the news when I showed up at the boat ramp to launch my boat, which was to be the RC boat. It was blowing a steady 12 but forecasts for gusts up to around 20 scared them off. Really? The main fleet participating were the Harbor 20's, which should be able to handle that easily. They were to race in a kinda exposed part of the harbor and I could see the Sunfish fleet calling it a day after a race or two if the wind really came up, but the Harbor 20's and the 420's really have no excuse. They were talking about rescheduling for 2/27 since the race is part of a series. Forecast at the moment looks great for that day.

9 minutes ago, Pedagogical Tom said:

Speaking of sissies canceling races, the Valentines Day Massacre Regatta was cancelled last weekend. I got the news when I showed up at the boat ramp to launch my boat, which was to be the RC boat. It was blowing a steady 12 but forecasts for gusts up to around 20 scared them off. Really? The main fleet participating were the Harbor 20's, which should be able to handle that easily. They were to race in a kinda exposed part of the harbor and I could see the Sunfish fleet calling it a day after a race or two if the wind really came up, but the Harbor 20's and the 420's really have no excuse. They were talking about rescheduling for 2/27 since the race is part of a series. Forecast at the moment looks great for that day.

Remember that the sum of the ages of the skipper & crew in the Harbor 20 fleet starts at 130 and surpasses 160.  

30 minutes ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Remember that the sum of the ages of the skipper & crew in the Harbor 20 fleet starts at 130 and surpasses 160.  

And the boat is designed with that in mind. They have the greatest class rule I've ever seen: participants must have and use the factory cockpit cushions. Though I did note a few violations last year. They're all pretty good sailors, some more than just pretty good. I still think it was a fine day to race those boats with their cotton topped crews, not really all that different from last year.

On 2/18/2021 at 2:55 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

going to be 60* on sunday,  unfortunately, I don't think the lake ice will be thawed yet..

untitled.jpg

visited the club today,    ice is around 4"-6"s thick...  it'll be mid week, if the boat is still floating, before sailing..

On 2/18/2021 at 3:06 AM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis threatened Wednesday to withhold or transfer COVID vaccines from counties that criticize the state’s distribution plan.

DeSantis was responding to criticism after allocating 3,000 extra vaccines for wealthy west Florida areas, including a planned community that is owned by the family of one of his campaign donors, the South Florida Sun Sentinel.

the pop-up clinic was placed inside Lakewood Ranch, which has a median yearly household income of nearly $90,000, the Herald reported. The site was scheduled to vaccine 1,000 people each day from Wednesday to Friday.

Lakewood Ranch is owned by the Uihlein family. Dick Uihlein donated $900,000 to DeSantis’ campaign in 2018 and 2019

Don't worry, immunity, like wealth, trickles down.

• Like 1
On 2/19/2021 at 6:04 AM, Fat Point Jack said:

Every race day, there's probably a half dozen or so H 20s passing by our house.  I'd say that age range is pretty accurate. 

On 1/24/2021 at 12:52 PM, Willin' said:

After seeing some of Sol's pix from Key West I decided to search out campground rates in the keys. My wife has never been to Florida and despite my reluctance to ever go there again, this particular winter seemed like a good time to be a little flexible since we're locked down inside the States.

JFC!!!! Prices starting at the mid $130s/night and up from there... to park our little camper...to sleep in our own unit... are you fucking shitting me?

Never mind. Flexibility off! Your dead to me Florida.

I told her to just hang on, we'll save that money and explore Barbados and the Grenadines for a month when the blockade is lifted.

the keys are just fucking stupid expensive.. gulf coast isn't so bad for a little camper. 

in 1977 I lived at Boyds Campground on Stock Island in a little hut I built out of cinder blocks and the camper shell off the back of my J10 truck. 

had a little tv, mini fridge and a window shaker a/c unit in a wall.. stayed there for 5 months for like 100/mo

36 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

the keys are just fucking stupid expensive.. gulf coast isn't so bad for a little camper. 

in 1977 I lived at Boyds Campground on Stock Island in a little hut I built out of cinder blocks and the camper shell off the back of my J10 truck

had a little tv, mini fridge and a window shaker a/c unit in a wall.. stayed there for 5 months for like 100/mo

In 1977 the J10 pickup must have been new-ish?

Is this one for the thread on "cars to own" that you wish you never sold?   

Probably rusted badly while sitting on the beach though...

14 minutes ago, Windward said:

In 1977 the J10 pickup must have been new-ish?

Is this one for the thread on "cars to own" that you wish you never sold?   

Probably rusted badly while sitting on the beach though...

it was a couple years old when I bought it. definitely in the "wish I hadn't sold it" group. 

that mother fucker could go places you could drag a rope when it was bone stock. 

I put the biggest tires I could fit in the wheel wells on it when I left FL for a cruise around the country. 

From FL I was headed to out to the left coast to watch Mt St Helens blow up, stopped in CO to do some skiing, for a couple months then St Helens shot her load so I stayed there for a while. Never made it west of Copper Mt. Came back east and sorta stayed here.... That truck was stolen from in front of my parents house in 1982. jacked by a bunch of kids who went on a crime spree thru our neighborhood and used it to haul their loot back down to Harrisonburg, VA... State popo found it on the side of the road. 

The tape player had eaten a Lynyrd Skynard tape and they beat the dashboard in with a ball peen hammer. truck was never the same after that.... 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Jules said:
On 2/19/2021 at 6:04 AM, Fat Point Jack said:

Every race day, there's probably a half dozen or so H 20s passing by our house.  I'd say that age range is pretty accurate. 

Keep an eye out this morning. The make-up race for the one that was cancelled is today. I'm heading down to get my 'toon boat ready for race committee service in a few minutes. Looks like another Chamber of Commerce day.

Florida Woman, upset about the lies being spread about the Capital Riot, wrote the local paper to give us the facts.

The police officer who died after being hit by a fire extinguisher, "died at the hospital from an allergic reaction to some type of spray."

And you thought Florida Man was the only genius residing here...

1 hour ago, Jules said:

Florida Woman, upset about the lies being spread about the Capital Riot, wrote the local paper to give us the facts.

The police officer who died after being hit by a fire extinguisher, "died at the hospital from an allergic reaction to some type of spray."

And you thought Florida Man was the only genius residing here...

Yep. I heard this one just yesterday from  a FL man who happens to live in NC. Another said he died of a stroke. I pointed out that I actually saw the guy laying on the ground being hit with a flagstaff, which I considered a contributing factor. Guessing Faux News cut that part for its watchers. Couldn't budge these guys.