Don't MoveTo Florida

1 hour ago, IStream said:

Only 200 rounds? Must be a Democrat.

A recent arrival who hasn't had time to equip himself to local standards.

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes the local Letters To The Editor can be more amusing than sad: "So I'm driving down Midway and look to the left and there in a church parking lot is a pickup truck with a Confederate fla

In our more rural areas there are a lot of freely accessible groves, most of them with old trees and fruits. These have been outshadowed by modern "industrial" species and those are usually heavily sp

I'm reading Scott Turow's The Last Trial.  In it one of the main characters, a defense attorney (Stern), has to interview a witness for the prosecution who lives in Naples, FL. "In the last two d

Posted Images

I wrote a letter to the editor about the recent (R) voting bill that was just signed by Desantis, and other Republican antics. 

Today I get a handwritten letter in the mail from "Mary" taking me to task for saying "Blacks are inept, lazy, and helpless."  (never said anything even remotely close)

Mary goes further, "You call to ask for renew absentee ballot, it comes in mail, you fill it out, walk out front. Put in mailbox for mailman."  (never said anything about absentee ballots)

But Mary is not done.  "I'll tell the black people I work with you think they are lazy."

She then pointed out that people of color, "live fine on 575.00 + Snap + county aid on water & electric."

"your lack of knowledge on Capitol investigation is question able.  The republicans want it to in clude Black lives matter riots."  (I noted how Rs went whole hog over Benghazi but won't touch the Jan 6 attack)

Toward the end she really lets me have it, "you are a gullible person that believ is democrat lies."  And then she educated me on guns.

The return address is where Walmart is located.

Should I go to Walmart and try to find Mary so I can apologize?  I really want to be accepted here.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Jules said:

Should I go to Walmart and try to find Mary so I can apologize?  I really want to be accepted here.

There will be plenty of Marys and their elk there.  Should be easy!

1 hour ago, Jules said:

I wrote a letter to the editor about the recent (R) voting bill that was just signed by Desantis, and other Republican antics. 

Today I get a handwritten letter in the mail from "Mary" taking me to task for saying "Blacks are inept, lazy, and helpless."  (never said anything even remotely close)

Mary goes further, "You call to ask for renew absentee ballot, it comes in mail, you fill it out, walk out front. Put in mailbox for mailman."  (never said anything about absentee ballots)

But Mary is not done.  "I'll tell the black people I work with you think they are lazy."

She then pointed out that people of color, "live fine on 575.00 + Snap + county aid on water & electric."

"your lack of knowledge on Capitol investigation is question able.  The republicans want it to in clude Black lives matter riots."  (I noted how Rs went whole hog over Benghazi but won't touch the Jan 6 attack)

Toward the end she really lets me have it, "you are a gullible person that believ is democrat lies."  And then she educated me on guns.

The return address is where Walmart is located.

No, I'd recommend sending that one in to the editor too, with a brief explanation

- DSK

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

No, I'd recommend sending that one in to the editor too, with a brief explanation

- DSK

Yeah, I thought about that. 

I'd like to send the entire letter.  It's a gem.

It is a little disconcerting Mary took the time to find my address, write the letter and actually send it.  If she could figure out how to find me, that probably means every Floriduh man & woman can.  And to think, I moved here so I wouldn't have to shovel snow anymore.  :wacko:

This is really disturbing-

I got lost reading the letter because it was so hard to understand what Mary was saying.  But the SO came home and read the whole thing and read this last part out loud:

"Just like HR-1 would allow democrats to regulate elections.  100% gun control.  Bills make 87% of legal guns ilegal.  what guns are legal like shotguns ammunition would be illegal.

"that's why gun rights members now have democrat voter rolls in their possion."

Was she threatening me?

2 hours ago, Jules said:

This is really disturbing-

I got lost reading the letter because it was so hard to understand what Mary was saying.  But the SO came home and read the whole thing and read this last part out loud:

"Just like HR-1 would allow democrats to regulate elections.  100% gun control.  Bills make 87% of legal guns ilegal.  what guns are legal like shotguns ammunition would be illegal.

"that's why gun rights members now have democrat voter rolls in their possion."

Was she threatening me?

What is their "possion"?  Passion?  Poisson (ratio)? Poisson (French for fish)? Poison?  It makes you wonder.......:blink:

EDIT - Tried to find purple font, but failed.

On 5/20/2021 at 6:56 AM, Jules said:

There's a new sign code that looks likely to be voted into the land development regulations that could turn Punta Gorda into Pottersville. 

The new code will allow up to four signs on residential properties.  Signs can be as large as 24 square feet.

We will be at the mercy of advertisers and people who can't stop letting the world know what they are thinking.

I'm pushing the limit.  A U of F Gator flag at the front door, Gator garden flag at the lamp post, Gator bicycle with Albert standing at attention, a new Val Demming for Senate sign and a leftover "Idle Speed, No Wake" sign from front yard social hour.

Hey Sol, do ya do pro bono 1st amendment?  

8 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

What is their "possion"?  Passion?  Poisson (ratio)? Poisson (French for fish)? Poison?  It makes you wonder.......:blink:

She meant "possession"....  But you probably figured that out already?

Jules, I recommend you try Charleston, SC, instead of Florida.  No snow there either, and lots of Democrats..

15 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

I got stumped on that, too until my SO "translated" it. 

Sent the letter to the former vice-mayor here cuz I knew he'd seen the loonies before.  He talked to the PD chief and she said file a report.  So I went into the PD office and showed it to an officer there.  He got stumped on "possion", too.  Then I told him it was probably "possession".  "OK, that makes sense."  He asked to make a copy of the letter so he could take some time trying to decipher it.  Gotta have a degree in loonie logic here.

7 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Jules, I recommend you try Charleston, SC, instead of Florida.  No snow there either, and lots of Democrats..

Don't think we haven't considered it.  The SO and I LOVE Charleston!  We've been there a few times during our stays in Savannah.  I could do either.

12 minutes ago, Jules said:

...   The SO and I LOVE Charleston!  We've been there a few times during our stays in Savannah.  I could do either.

Charleston is crazy crowded and crazy expensive. I get along quite well with the old school Charlestonians... the pluff mud types... but it's a very different place than the rest of South Carolina. I'd take Savannah. Just as cool a downtown but the craziness is spread over much more of the countryside.

Sailing... both have insane tides. Charleston has actual sailing venues other than heading straight out into the ocean, though. Savannah, less so. But ironically, more nearby destinations and plenty gunkholing anchorages.

Having attended many a Lightning regatta at the Savannah Yacht Club, that place always has a soft spot in my heart.

- DSK

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

5' is an insane tide?

Don't ever come here - 15' is normal.

But Florida is only a couple feet above high tide

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I get along quite well with the old school Charlestonians... 

Howe manney haive you mette?  My udderstandeng is sinse 1990 90% of populatione is transident frome northern origins..........                  :)

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

5' is an insane tide?

This is why God made floating docks/

Up to 6+ mters here. That's why God made lock gates!

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

5' is an insane tide?

Do you have irregular tides, like in Seattle? That would be hard to get used to.

But much of the tide range between Savannah and Charleston is more like 10 ft. And even where it isn't, it's a hell of a lot more than along the Gulf coast where Jules is now.

Also, the currents can be VERY much faster than what you expect. Here in NC for example, many places the tide range is 1 ~ 2 ft, but hundreds of miles of 1 ft of water has to go thru a small inlet twice on each tide.

Just now, Snaggletooth said:
3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I get along quite well with the old school Charlestonians... 

Howe manney haive you mette?  My udderstandeng is sinse 1990 90% of populatione is transident frome northern origins..........                 

Certainly more than 50 but probably less than 100... spent quite a lot of time there, starting with back when I was stationed at the old Charleston Navy Base... they don't go around with signs but they do tend to travel in packs.

- DSK

6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Do you have irregular tides, like in Seattle? That would be hard to get used to.

Very.

They are really weird right now - essentially 3 highs and one low a day, like 15, 10, 10.5 and 1'.

And the spacing is irregular as hell as well - 3 hours between to more than 7 hours between.

18 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Charleston is crazy crowded and crazy expensive. I get along quite well with the old school Charlestonians... the pluff mud types... but it's a very different place than the rest of South Carolina. I'd take Savannah. Just as cool a downtown but the craziness is spread over much more of the countryside.

Sailing... both have insane tides. Charleston has actual sailing venues other than heading straight out into the ocean, though. Savannah, less so. But ironically, more nearby destinations and plenty gunkholing anchorages.

Having attended many a Lightning regatta at the Savannah Yacht Club, that place always has a soft spot in my heart.

- DSK

Only been to Charleston proper once, to look at a few boats that were for sale about 4 years ago.  Two were at a big marina on the Cooper river.  I couldn't believe the current in that wide of a river, or how thick and brown the water appeared.  I doubt a "normal" small sailboat could have made any way against the current.  They do seem to have a large sailing community though.

Jax, has some really easy sailing upstream of downtown in the St. Johns with pretty good depths and not much current at all until you get into downtown and north. We have pretty easy access to the ocean, just takes a bit of a trip to get there from the river "sailing" areas.  I don't understand why there are not more boats sailing.  Marina availability is limited I guess.  30 years ago there were lots of all sorts of boats out at each race.  It seems to have really died here for some reason.  Even the famous "Mug Race" doesn't get much participation anymore.

It did snow here once since I moved here in 1980 :-)

I do miss the water and more consistent wind of south Florida though, but it isn't the south Florida I grew up in anymore.

1 hour ago, bridhb said:

Only been to Charleston proper once, to look at a few boats that were for sale about 4 years ago.  Two were at a big marina on the Cooper river.  I couldn't believe the current in that wide of a river, or how thick and brown the water appeared.  I doubt a "normal" small sailboat could have made any way against the current.  They do seem to have a large sailing community though.

Jax, has some really easy sailing upstream of downtown in the St. Johns with pretty good depths and not much current at all until you get into downtown and north. We have pretty easy access to the ocean, just takes a bit of a trip to get there from the river "sailing" areas.  I don't understand why there are not more boats sailing.  Marina availability is limited I guess.  30 years ago there were lots of all sorts of boats out at each race.  It seems to have really died here for some reason.  Even the famous "Mug Race" doesn't get much participation anymore.

It did snow here once since I moved here in 1980 :-)

I do miss the water and more consistent wind of south Florida though, but it isn't the south Florida I grew up in anymore.

Mug Race still gets around 80 boats each year. 

25 minutes ago, sailwriter said:

Mug Race still gets around 80 boats each year. 

Yeah, I ran the cat trax trailer a couple of times a few years ago, but it seems like it use to get at least 3 times that with lots of "cruisers" entering.  Neat event.

21 hours ago, Jules said:

Don't think we haven't considered it.  The SO and I LOVE Charleston!  We've been there a few times during our stays in Savannah.  I could do either.

Both of our daughters live in Charleston.  When they were both graduating High School, the guidance counselors were recommending College of Charleston, and whole bunch of kids from our tri-town regional HS ended up there and never came home to CT.  When elder daughter got married down there a couple of years ago, there were at least a half dozen of her CT HS graduates, in attendance.  We love to visit in the colder months, but would not want to be there in humid, sticky July or August.   OTOH, just the opposite discomfort of frigid New England in January and February.

21 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

Maybe downtown is crazy; but Mount Pleasant and James Island are not too crowded, and cost of everything is way cheaper than CT.  We have not experienced Savannah yet, but love Greater Chucktown.  Son-in-laws family has a falling down beach house on Sullivan's Island and they don't use it in the winter, so we get a free crib sometimes, that looks out at Fort Sumter, and all the ships go by a quarter mile from the beach..  Lots of sailing-racing in Charleston, if you fancy that..... 

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

...the pluff mud types...

- DSK

what is a "pluff mud type"? 

i know what pluff mud is (too thick to drink, too thin to plow) but what defines the type of charlestonian that deals with pluff mud?

2 hours ago, tybee said:

what is a "pluff mud type"? 

i know what pluff mud is (too thick to drink, too thin to plow) but what defines the type of charlestonian that deals with pluff mud?

"Pluff Mud in their blood"

I'm guessing you've lived there a good bit, yourself.

- DSK

We were out shopping for a dining set for the lanai.  We asked how to keep mold and scum off the furniture, like what happened to our present furniture.  The sales guy says a lot of the scum we're seeing comes from phosphate mining just to the east of us. 

We had been thinking it had something to do with the salt air.  It doesn't take long for things to develop mold spots all over them.

He went on to explain the process of how phosphate dust is carried through the air, settles on anything outside, and, if that thing isn't exposed to the sun, the phosphate dust helps feed mold and mildew.  

I can't tell you how many times "experts" have told us those phosphate mines are harmless.

3 hours ago, Jules said:

We were out shopping for a dining set for the lanai.  We asked how to keep mold and scum off the furniture, like what happened to our present furniture.  The sales guy says a lot of the scum we're seeing comes from phosphate mining just to the east of us. 

We had been thinking it had something to do with the salt air.  It doesn't take long for things to develop mold spots all over them.

He went on to explain the process of how phosphate dust is carried through the air, settles on anything outside, and, if that thing isn't exposed to the sun, the phosphate dust helps feed mold and mildew.  

I can't tell you how many times "experts" have told us those phosphate mines are harmless.

and people over there wonder why there are so many red tides..    same issues  around NO, all that crap coming down the Miss..

I like our air pollution, the north texas kind, blowing up from the cement factories in midlothian..  where they will burn any sort of waste in their kilns..

so this many forums could go , but Ill stick with the florida one'

INSIDER

3 people dead, including a corrections officer, and several others shot after a shooting during a Florida graduation celebration

1 hour ago, justsomeguy! said:

"...shot after a shooting..."

smh

Regular shootings are so commonplace now that it was time the process was upgraded.

6 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Regular shootings are so commonplace now that it was time the process was upgraded.

I was bemoaning the wording, not the violence.

I'm numb to that shit.

On 6/4/2021 at 11:09 PM, SloopJonB said:

Very.

They are really weird right now - essentially 3 highs and one low a day, like 15, 10, 10.5 and 1'.

And the spacing is irregular as hell as well - 3 hours between to more than 7 hours between.

When I was out for a few days this past week, my Ports & Passes showed 3 tides on one day, the evening high was exactly the same as the low, one minute apart.

Pluff Mud as I understand it, is visible at low tides throughout the saltwater marshes of Ga., and SC.  If you step off your marina dock between the saltwater grasses and the water, you’ll sink to your hips or your pits depending on how many gravity activating biscuits you’ve eaten.

2 hours ago, dolphinmaster said:

Pluff Mud as I understand it, is visible at low tides throughout the saltwater marshes of Ga., and SC.  If you step off your marina dock between the saltwater grasses and the water, you’ll sink to your hips or your pits depending on how many gravity activating biscuits you’ve eaten.

That doesn’t sound pleasant.   Can you swim in it back to solid-ish (less pluffy ) mud?

37 minutes ago, Windward said:

That doesn’t sound pleasant.   Can you swim in it back to solid-ish (less pluffy ) mud?

No, " swimming is ineffective"  dragging out with a line is the only option I've seen be effective.

you can "swim" through the deep spots and you'll look like you went swimming through chocolate pudding.

i've seen people tow small boats through pluff mud by "swimming/crawling" until they get to water deep enough to float the boat.

it's not everywhere, the bottom is mostly sand/marl/slick clay but pluff does exist in the places where the bottom is not scoured by currents.

average tides around savannah are twice a day and between 6 feet and 11 feet depending on moon/wind.

5 hours ago, dolphinmaster said:

so basically silt...  it's a couple of feet deep on the bottom of our lake..   dropped a 150lb mushroom into the water for a mooring,  it sent up a plume like a volcano, we were in a 75' circle of  pluffy water..

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

195330470_10159737130083958_955431182596

This reminds me of flying to Lakeland (the grey swamp in the third image) during my flight training.

I had learned to pay attention to field elevation, at least in theory, but in practice, all the FL runways I had used were at 8 or 10 feet.

So I entered the traffic pattern at 800 ft as usual, did my usual stuff to slow down and descend, and wound up with a scene out my windshield on final approach that just didn't look quite right. Then I noticed the VASI (approach slope lights) saying I was low. I had to throttle way up to make the runway. Taxied in and noticed my altimeter saying 140 feet. Just as it should, had I actually taken note of field elevation BEFORE landing.

Most of our swampland is not at 141 feet elevation like the Lakeland airport, but going by that meme, some of it is.

A commentary in the local paper addressed the recent change in the sign code for Punta Gorda.  The city council decided the change was necessary because of a 2015 SCOTUS decision, which said you cannot legislate content.  The city council did not want to get sued because, as was stated at the council meeting they passed the new ordinance, they don't have the money to defend a lawsuit.

The city council decided to legislate content anyway and went a step further prohibiting profanity and "fighting words" on clothing.  But they removed most of the regulations on boats.  I guess that means Trump armadas can still proudly hoist "FUCK (fill in the blank)" flags.

The author of the article said the city has opened itself up to lawsuits because their new code violates the 1st Amendment and cited two cases that could easily apply to the new code.

To summarize:

"We have to change the sign ordinance because we can't afford to be sued."

"Here's your new ordinance which violates both the 1st Amendment and 2015 decision that compelled us to change the sign code."

Trumpsters can put up all the FUCK BIDEN, FUCK YOUR FEELINGS, FUCK DEMOCRATS signs they want as long as it's on their boat.

Welcome to Florida.

Jules, I really don't understand how someone as sane as you can stand living there.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Jules, I really don't understand how someone as sane as you can stand living there.

Well I'm guessing her boat is less than 50 ft from her back door and the sailing around Punta Gorda is pretty good so there is that.

• Like 3

Jon, insanity struck when one morning I opened the garage door and saw two feet of snow covering the driveway.  It seemed half the time I spent going somewhere in the winter was spent shoveling snow.  It wasn't until after the snow drove me south that I realized how very different things are between visiting a place and living there.

NB, Charlotte Harbor is definitely a great place for sailing, as long as your boat's draft is 4' or less.  And even at 4', there's about 1/4 of the bay that's too shallow to sail.  Our boat's draft is 4'9".  But yes, having your boat in the back yard is nice.  One neighbor was dying from cancer and could barely get around the house but he refused to sell his sailboat.  Just seeing his boat at his dock kept him going.

BC, no plans to move north but we have talked about moving the boat up there so we have a place to vacation in the summers.  But the SO is still working with little time to get away.

22 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Forgot to mention this - an article in the paper today said Florida is #1 in the nation for most listings per 10,000 owner-occupied homes.  But realtors have been complaining about shrinking inventory, down almost 30% from last year.

So it seems there's a lot of people trying to get the hell out of here but even more buying homes here.  Maybe those people thinking of moving here should read the opinions columns in the local papers.  If it's anything like it is here, they will see lots of hating libruls and demoncrats.

"Hi.  My name is Joe.  I am 80 years old and I plan to spend the rest of my days on earth hating.  Fuck Biden!  Fuck liberals!  Fuck democrats!  Fuck AntiFa!  Fuck BLM!  I love Florida!"

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Jules said:

Jon, insanity struck when one morning I opened the garage door and saw two feet of snow covering the driveway.  It seemed half the time I spent going somewhere in the winter was spent shoveling snow.  It wasn't until after the snow drove me south that I realized how very different things are between visiting a place and living there.

I like the seasons, having summer all year round would get old.

If it only rained at night this place would be perfect.

20 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

If it only rained at night this place would be perfect.

That's my first order of biz when I'm King of the World.

Jules: I loves me some shallow draft. New boat. 3'3" with cb. I'll probably run aground EVEN more often. Sure miss clear water.

53 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Sure miss clear water.

Clear water?  What's that?  You can't even see more than a foot or so in the waters around here.  But the dolphins seem to love it.  We've seen them in the canal rounding up dinner.

30 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Mabey the towne?

Romance novel? 

2 hours ago, Jules said:

"Hi.  My name is Joe.  I am 80 years old and I plan to spend the rest of my days on earth hating.  Fuck Biden!  Fuck liberals!  Fuck democrats!  Fuck AntiFa!  Fuck BLM!  I love Florida!"

(s) Donald J Trump

47 minutes ago, Jules said:

Clear water?  What's that?  You can't even see more than a foot or so in the waters around here.  But the dolphins seem to love it.  We've seen them in the canal rounding up dinner.

What a bummer to read that. I get the weekly red tide/fishkill report and your region is always affected. And the dolphins don't have much choice. I ran into a dolphin convention off Naples. Quite the sight.

11 hours ago, Jules said:

Well now we know what happened to Dog - he moved to Floriduh.

10 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

That's my first order of biz when I'm King of the World.

Jules: I loves me some shallow draft. New boat. 3'3" with cb. I'll probably run aground EVEN more often. Sure miss clear water.

Ha! Good deal, smart! I remember you were boat shopping, what did you get?

- DSK

9 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Ha! Good deal, smart! I remember you were boat shopping, what did you get?

- DSK

O'Day 28. Tough to find c/bs these days. I'd prefer to have a 30/31 but this will do. I won't be getting too far away from that magenta line in any case. My middle name is "gunkhole" B) although some have taken some liberties with it. Gotta admit, I've gotten a little too comfy with life ashore in what was a very quiet spot. New yuppie neighbors (3 bbqs on back porch) two dogs ... "the full castastrophe" to quote Zorba, have spoiled it for me. I'll move back aboard before winter.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

O'Day 28. Tough to find c/bs these days. I'd prefer to have a 30/31 but this will do. I won't be getting too far away from that magenta line in any case. My middle name is "gunkhole" B) although some have taken some liberties with it. Gotta admit, I've gotten a little too comfy with life ashore in what was a very quiet spot. New yuppie neighbors (3 bbqs on back porch) two dogs ... "the full castastrophe" to quote Zorba, have spoiled it for me. I'll move back aboard before winter.

What are Outer Banks like in Winter? I would think fairly empty of people, but maybe that is changed after covid and people working from home.

6 minutes ago, Son of a Sailor said:

What are Outer Banks like in Winter? I would think fairly empty of people, but maybe that is changed after covid and people working from home.

nah, I doubt it. Fishermen and duck hunters will be out but few others. It's just cold enough here to keep folks indoors much of the time. The tourist places will be closed I expect. 

23 hours ago, Jules said:

NB, Charlotte Harbor is definitely a great place for sailing, as long as your boat's draft is 4' or less.  And even at 4', there's about 1/4 of the bay that's too shallow to sail.  Our boat's draft is 4'9".  But yes, having your boat in the back yard is nice.  One neighbor was dying from cancer and could barely get around the house but he refused to sell his sailboat.  Just seeing his boat at his dock kept him going.

BC, no plans to move north but we have talked about moving the boat up there so we have a place to vacation in the summers.  But the SO is still working with little time to get away.

Take the good with the bad. Punta Gorda and Charlotte Hbr are beautiful. I went to summer camp over there at a now defunct hunt club on the Peace River, that kept the doors open in the summer by giving parents a break from their kids. Learned how to handle a bow, a gun, and a fishing rod, among other things. I loved it there. 

Tune out the hate as much as possible and work to keep it from being codified. 

2 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Tune out the hate as much as possible and work to keep it from being codified.

I'll have to cancel my  Sun newspaper subscription to tune out the hate.  Between the Letters To The Editor and the opinion columnists, there's enough hate to permanently divide this country.  Never saw that kind of stuff in the Chicago papers. 

And the "FUCK ______" flags?  Don't know if this is a Florida thing or fallout from President Vulgar but it sure degrades the area and speaks poorly of those who fly them.

As for codified, Florida's state Board of Education, at the urging of Desantis, just banned teaching in schools that the early settlers stole the land from Native Americans and/or that racism is part of American history.  If it makes you look bad, legislate it out.

In so many ways, it makes Florida look like a very backward state.  You'd think voters would be more concerned about ranking 39th in income and something like 37th in worker's rights.  But it just seems they want to hate.

9 minutes ago, Jules said:

I'll have to cancel my  Sun newspaper subscription to tune out the hate.  Between the Letters To The Editor and the opinion columnists, there's enough hate to permanently divide this country.  Never saw that kind of stuff in the Chicago papers. 

When I was in Miami, my ex asked me, as a personal favor for her, to stop reading the Local News section. She also insisted on driving when together. ca 1980s

37 minutes ago, Jules said:

And the "FUCK ______" flags?  Don't know if this is a Florida thing or fallout from President Vulgar but it sure degrades the area and speaks poorly of those who fly them.

As for codified, Florida's state Board of Education, at the urging of Desantis, just banned teaching in schools that the early settlers stole the land from Native Americans and/or that racism is part of American history.  If it makes you look bad, legislate it out.

In so many ways, it makes Florida look like a very backward state.  You'd think voters would be more concerned about ranking 39th in income and something like 37th in worker's rights.  But it just seems they want to hate.

Our present leadership has us on the way to the bottom and we are running Mississippi down. Watch out Mississippi. Take heart that the old men pushing this are dying off and their ways of screwing people do not result in propagation. Demographics will win eventually. Then we can get back to teaching history. Real history. 

• Like 1

News sources anywhere are getting so polarized it is embarrassing from a journalistic perspective.   

The local rag where I live has been sold off years ago to some mega conglomerate, and all that is left are unpaid college interns trying to do news.   Its struggled to stay locally relevant, and has really devolved. 

It really is a shame that there really are no news sources out there publishing news without some axe to grind.  (probably always been like this to some extent)

I personally rely on SA and Youtube for all my relevant, unbiased current event news.   B)

• Like 1

Mark and I start with the Associated Press Morning Wire ... free

"There are only two forces that can carry light to all the corners of the globe … the sun in the heavens and The Associated Press down here.”

Mark Twain and Blue Crab

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

Mark and I start with the Associated Press Morning Wire ... free

"There are only two forces that can carry light to all the corners of the globe … the sun in the heavens and The Associated Press down here.”

Mark Twain and Blue Crab

Reuters is pretty good too.

- DSK

Today's paper had a wonderful report on the unhealthy waters of Charlotte Harbor.  They said the problem is particularly bad on the east end of the Harbor, where the Peace River pours into the Harbor.  High nitrogen and phosphorous levels have created an environment that is killing seagrass.  The water is so murky the seagrass can't get enough sunlight to thrive, or even survive. 

Fingers were pointed but none mentioned the phosphate plant upstream on the Peace River. 

Local politicians asked what they could do other than what they already have been doing? 

First thing that came to my mind was to stop accepting donations from phosphate mine companies.  That might help them see more clearly.

• Like 3

I never took you for a cockeyed optimist Jules.

Where is the EPA in this situation?

1 hour ago, Jules said:

Today's paper had a wonderful report on the unhealthy waters of Charlotte Harbor.  They said the problem is particularly bad on the east end of the Harbor, where the Peace River pours into the Harbor.  High nitrogen and phosphorous levels have created an environment that is killing seagrass.  The water is so murky the seagrass can't get enough sunlight to thrive, or even survive. 

Fingers were pointed but none mentioned the phosphate plant upstream on the Peace River. 

Local politicians asked what they could do other than what they already have been doing? 

First thing that came to my mind was to stop accepting donations from phosphate mine companies.  That might help them see more clearly.

How about not ok'ing 3,000 houses in the past month.

Make the whole harbor idle speed.

Pass a reverse impact fee to immediately fund sewers for all.

Ban all fertilizer.

No weed killers.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Ban all fertilizer.

No weed killers.

Humans are killing our planet faster than it can heal from us.  It won't be for decades, or even centuries, but this will end badly for all life, if we don't change our planet killing habits..

• Like 2
2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Humans are killing our planet faster than it can heal from us.  It won't be for decades, or even centuries, but this will end badly for all life, if we don't change our planet killing habits..

If we teraform a planet, say Mars for example.  Then ruin it.  Is it still a bad thing?

We would most definitely ruin it.

15 hours ago, Windward said:

If we teraform a planet, say Mars for example.  Then ruin it.  Is it still a bad thing?

We would most definitely ruin it.

Planning to try to live on the Moon or Mars, is a fanciful joke, IMHO!   Both are uninhabitable, without impossible amounts of livable structure, that will never happen.  The earth will be dead, and devoid of all Mammalian life, long before either of these places will be livable.....

5 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Planning to try to live on the Moon or Mars, is a fanciful joke, IMHO!   Both are uninhabitable, without impossible amounts of livable structure, that will never happen.  The earth will be dead, and devoid of all Mammalian life, long before either of these places will be livable.....

That was Florida before air conditioning.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Jules said:

That was Florida before air conditioning.

That's just because we modern folks are so bloody spoiled!!  Native Americans lived happily in Florida for Centuries before Juan Ponce de León landed in April, 1513.....

5 hours ago, billy backstay said:

That's just because we modern folks are so bloody spoiled!!  Native Americans lived happily in Florida for Centuries before Juan Ponce de León landed in April, 1513.....

But where did Native Americans retire to?

17 hours ago, billy backstay said:

they're not trying to get to mars, yet,  it'll be more like the movie elysium,  the elite want to build they're  space station off the planet and survive there leaving the rest of us to rot on a dying planet...   why do you think all the billionaires are amassing obscene amounts of wealth and developing space programs?

On 6/12/2021 at 10:57 AM, Jules said:

You could do what I did and volunteer to help monitor the health of the seagrass. The data we collect helps inform policy decisions.

47 minutes ago, Excoded Tom said:

You could do what I did and volunteer to help monitor the health of the seagrass. The data we collect helps inform policy decisions.

The monitoring of sea grass and scallop counts only show the results of policy decisions.  Until the harbor dies and real estate prices die along with it, the people we have elected to make the policy decisions will do the minimum to keep us happy and their wallets fatter.

Will any of those folks impose these policies from my above post on us:

Ban all fertilizer.

No weed killers.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Until the harbor dies and real estate prices die along with it, the people we have elected to make the policy decisions will do the minimum to keep us happy and their wallets fatter.

Like the majority of people who run for office, money and power are the prime motivations, not serving the public or working for the betterment of the community.

On another note - the local newspaper editor wrote an opinion piece published yesterday.  Apparently, others have received letters such as what I got from "Mary" and some expressed serious concern about their welfare.  These cowards are trying to silence those they disagree with. 

"Mary" seemed primarily concerned I criticized Desantis.  One letter writer said we should stop criticizing politicians altogether.  Others spew vitriol with seething hatred.  I have always believed the people not only have the right, but a duty, to speak out when our elected officials fail to keep their oath of office.

Why the fanaticism in support of a complete stranger?