Jump to content

Don't MoveTo Florida


Recommended Posts

trifecta this morning

-WINTER GARDEN, Fla. (AP) -- Residents in a central Florida neighborhood are on edge after an alligator attacked and killed a dog that a woman was walking along a trail, wildlife officials 

-ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) -- Red tide could cause people along certain parts of Florida's Gulf Coast to to experience respiratory irritation, health officials said.

-STUART, Fla. (AP) -- More manatees have died already this year than in any other year in Florida's recorded history, primarily from starvation due to the loss of seagrass beds, state officials said

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes the local Letters To The Editor can be more amusing than sad: "So I'm driving down Midway and look to the left and there in a church parking lot is a pickup truck with a Confederate fla

In our more rural areas there are a lot of freely accessible groves, most of them with old trees and fruits. These have been outshadowed by modern "industrial" species and those are usually heavily sp

i'm not afraid of the brain eating amoeba in texas,  there aren't enough brains in the state to support an epidemic..

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

trifecta this morning

-WINTER GARDEN, Fla. (AP) -- Residents in a central Florida neighborhood are on edge after an alligator attacked and killed a dog that a woman was walking along a trail, wildlife officials 

-ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) -- Red tide could cause people along certain parts of Florida's Gulf Coast to to experience respiratory irritation, health officials said.

-STUART, Fla. (AP) -- More manatees have died already this year than in any other year in Florida's recorded history, primarily from starvation due to the loss of seagrass beds, state officials said

You forgot the radioactive waste used to build roads in Florida.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jules said:

You forgot the radioactive waste used to build roads in Florida.

unfortunately, this may be a reality for many, especially in Florida. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recently announced they will approve the use of phosphogypsum in road construction. Phosphogypsum is the radioactive waste product left over from the production of fertilizer, and Florida has a lot of phosphogypsum.

MANATEE COUNTY, Fla. (WWSB) - The Manatee County Commission voted unanimously Thursday to declare a state of emergency due to the liner tear at the gypsum stack at the former phosphate plant on Piney Point.
 

image.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jules said:

You forgot the radioactive waste used to build roads in Florida.

That explains a lot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That explains a lot.

Consider the starting point - a bit of radiation-accelerated evolution can't really hurt, can it?

FKT

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That explains a lot.

So maybe my friends and family telling me I have a glowing personality may not mean what I think it means?

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dolphinmaster said:

 

best reply ever

Link to post
Share on other sites

Current Conditions 7-14-21
A bloom of the red tide organism, Karenia brevis, persists on the Florida Gulf Coast...

On Florida’s Gulf coast, fish kills suspected to be related to red tide were reported in Pasco, Pinellas, Hillsborough, Manatee, and Sarasota counties over the past week. For more details, please visit: https://myfwc.com/research/saltwater/health/fish-kills-hotline/.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Current Conditions 7-14-21
A bloom of the red tide organism, Karenia brevis, persists on the Florida Gulf Coast...

On Florida’s Gulf coast, fish kills suspected to be related to red tide were reported in Pasco, Pinellas, Hillsborough, Manatee, and Sarasota counties over the past week. For more details, please visit: https://myfwc.com/research/saltwater/health/fish-kills-hotline/.

Not to worry, the shit the mosquito helicopters are dropping now will probably kill a lot of us first.

Every time they fly over the house I am reminded of that skit Jerry Garcia and Phil Lesh did years ago and their cocaine helicopters - "they have no sense of proportion"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Governor for the Oligarchy, Ron DeSantis, recently signed a law limiting home rule control over cruise ships.  Key West commissioners have decided to fight back.

Over 60% of Key West residents voted to limit the size of ships and the number of passengers allowed to disembark at Key West.  It was a move to help protect the quality of the city's water and the health of the coral reefs.  There has also been some concern regarding COVID spread.

Key West is moving ahead in support of the will of the voters and ignoring the new.

Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried, who is running to unseat DeSantis next year, last month criticized the Governor — whose political committee received a $1 million contribution from pier developer Mark Walsh, an outspoken critic of the referendums — for “overturning the will of voters in Key West and moving communities backwards on clean energy.”

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/440917-key-west-commission-pushes-back-on-state-preemption-calls-for-new-cruise-ordinance/

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Has anyone asked the Fed's to investigate that asshole for grafting?

It's Florida.  You would have to do lots worse than that. 

Besides, DeSantis has is head so far up Trump's ass that he could see Donnie's tonsils.  That gives him a lot of street cred in The Villages.

I'm sure the worm would love to get the nomination in '24.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Florida man accused of trying to throw alligator on roof to teach it a lesson: report

William “Bubba” Hodge was taken into custody

Link to post
Share on other sites

True story, 

Yesterday Kayaking in the mangroves st lucie inlet ditch, I stop and waited for friends , grab a tree branch , then I felt something crawling on my arm, It was a pretty big tarantula spider, I jumped and it flew into the water, scared the shit out of me.

Remember we're just guests here

How do you show a tarantula? - MSU Extension

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2021 at 12:02 PM, SloopJonB said:

Has anyone asked the Fed's to investigate that asshole for grafting?

He's just working hard for his major donors.  Do that and you get rewarded bigly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Surfside condo collapse has exposed the high probability the concrete that made up the pool deck was totally saturated.  The rebar, top and bottom, is showing massive rusting of the rebar, resulting in delamination of the deck.

This was taken right after the collapse.  Look at how the fallen deck just ripped the rebar right out of the deck still standing.  That would never happen if the rebar hadn't rusted and spalled.  The rebar was essentially useless.

CTSC_PG_002.thumb.jpg.45337a03768f6ab8d80c369649ff6919.jpg

There's also evidence of this in the top layer of rebar.  The pool deck was around 9" thick.  In this picture, you can see thin sections of concrete lying up against the columns.  This could only happen if the deck had delaminated.

CTSC_PG_005.jpg.de1a0dcf957f9816e6504b233dca53dc.jpg

In a typical punch through, there is a large section of concrete decking left on the tops of the columns.  This thing was a total failure at the columns.

Between the saturated concrete and the questionable construction, I'd be looking to sell if I owned a Florida coastal condo.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Maybe Charlotte County should condemn Sunshitter right now.

 5p2.jpg.adad0f3f4ffc6e04018066b9e0977672.jpg

 

Looks like construction has only just begun???

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

 

A blight on my trip over that one particular harbor.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Maybe Charlotte County should condemn Sunshitter right now.

An article in the paper a few weeks ago quoted an Allegiant rep as saying they can't restart the job because their airline hasn't shown profit.  Did they put that contingency on completion when they applied for the permit?  Yeah, right.

My guess is they are hoping we will get so desperate for that thing to be finished, we'll even agree to a casino.  They are based out of Las Vegas after all.  Or maybe they will start a Go Fund Me to raze it to Save The Harbor!

Link to post
Share on other sites

There could possibly be a connection to ocean rise and the Surfside collapse. 

The rise and fall of the tides could have completely submerged the buried pilings, piling caps and, to some degree, the parking lot floor slab.  Residents have reported as much as a couple of feet of water in the garage, which is below grade, and said massive pumps could not lower the water level - so the water was probably pushing up from underneath.  Salt water.

This opens up the possibility of the concrete in the below grade members becoming saturated, like the pool deck did.  If that happened, the rebar would have rusted, creating spalling - rusted rebar expands.  

I looked at the plans and it does not show the garage slab sitting on top of the piling caps. 

PileCapSection_001.jpg.2ca106eeecbc145a12cd2ae80682c96f.jpg

This shows the pile cap being poured over several pilings and a column being built on top of the cap.  If the garage floor sat on top of the pile cap, it would have been shown in this sectional drawing. 

So in all likelihood, the garage floor slab sat on top of the columns, leaving plenty of space for water to seep up through the sand fill and work its way into the garage.  If water seeped into the below grade concrete and saturated it, that can help explain the massive domino effect when the building came down.

Imagine the implications of sea rise doing this to other coastal high rises.  We may soon be able to see the ocean from the road again.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

and back to Fla man news

Quote

A Florida man was introduced to two very different kinds of neighbors this week.

One of them is being hailed a hero for possibly saving his life as he convulsed inside a car — which rolled down into the lawn of a family who, instead of helping, yelled at them to get off their property, authorities said Thursday.

“Get off our lawn,” the homeowners reportedly said. “Get the man out of here, have him die somewhere else.”

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Excoded Tom said:

and in Naked Florida Woman news...

His first reaction was calling the cops?   It’s not like he had to worry about a hidden weapon.     At least the owner didn’t ‘stand his ground’ and plug her. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're brown skinned and want to set up a business in milky white Florida - better thing twice.

Alex and Beatrice Huerta opened a Mexican restaurant in milky white Punta Gorda not long ago.  But they have had a problem staying open, thanks to vandals.

Two weeks after opening, vandals broke in and cut wires to their walk-in cooler, refrigerators, and ovens.  Besides the cost of repairs, $2K of freshly purchased food had to be thrown out.

A week later vandals broke in again. razed the kitchen and stole all the menus.  The owners then changed all the locks.

Shortly after that,vandals drilled holes in the rooftop unit, rendering their AC useless.  A new unit cost them $3,500.

Alex began sleeping in the restaurant, having no idea what the vandals were capable of doing.

He slept at home during Hurricane Elsa only to find vandals returned to destroy the new rooftop AC unit and damaged his signs.

They plan to reopen again today.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jules said:

If you're brown skinned and want to set up a business in milky white Florida - better thing twice.

Alex and Beatrice Huerta opened a Mexican restaurant in milky white Punta Gorda not long ago.  But they have had a problem staying open, thanks to vandals.

Two weeks after opening, vandals broke in and cut wires to their walk-in cooler, refrigerators, and ovens.  Besides the cost of repairs, $2K of freshly purchased food had to be thrown out.

A week later vandals broke in again. razed the kitchen and stole all the menus.  The owners then changed all the locks.

Shortly after that,vandals drilled holes in the rooftop unit, rendering their AC useless.  A new unit cost them $3,500.

Alex began sleeping in the restaurant, having no idea what the vandals were capable of doing.

He slept at home during Hurricane Elsa only to find vandals returned to destroy the new rooftop AC unit and damaged his signs.

They plan to reopen again today.

I managed the Radio Shack Store in the same location many years ago.  I'm sure I pissed off plenty of people, none ever took it that seriously.

And their food ain't too good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jules said:

If you're brown skinned and want to set up a business in milky white Florida - better thing twice.

Alex and Beatrice Huerta opened a Mexican restaurant in milky white Punta Gorda not long ago.  But they have had a problem staying open, thanks to vandals.

Two weeks after opening, vandals broke in and cut wires to their walk-in cooler, refrigerators, and ovens.  Besides the cost of repairs, $2K of freshly purchased food had to be thrown out.

A week later vandals broke in again. razed the kitchen and stole all the menus.  The owners then changed all the locks.

Shortly after that,vandals drilled holes in the rooftop unit, rendering their AC useless.  A new unit cost them $3,500.

Alex began sleeping in the restaurant, having no idea what the vandals were capable of doing.

He slept at home during Hurricane Elsa only to find vandals returned to destroy the new rooftop AC unit and damaged his signs.

They plan to reopen again today.

you sure it ain't the taco bell owner down the street?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2020 at 6:11 PM, Jkdubz808 said:

Yeah I saw that.  Just add it to all the problems the ICW and waterways have been having in Florida.  At least once or twice a year we get the 'do not go in the water because of this bacteria' alerts, usually around when its good weather for the sandbar.  Lake Okeenasty is the source.  Nasty water mixes with the rivers/ICW and causes the nasty algae blooms that even affect peoples respiratory systems aside from the wildlife it kills.  Really sad.

Can you say "Big Sugar"?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

And their food ain't too good.

Agree.  We went there once, pre-COVID, and weren't at all impressed.  Maybe the vandals just want Plaza Mexico to take their place. 

It's interesting, though, that the vandals knew when the owner was spending the night there.  Maybe they knew his vehicle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jules said:

If you're brown skinned and want to set up a business in milky white Florida - better thing twice.

Alex and Beatrice Huerta opened a Mexican restaurant in milky white Punta Gorda not long ago.  But they have had a problem staying open, thanks to vandals.

 

Ahh Florida.  I am pretty sure the milky white perpetrators didn't appreciate the irony of white people vandalizing a restaurant, based on apparently racial bigotry in a town with a clearly Spanish name, as the Spaniards were all over Florida in the 16th century quite a few years before the milky white pilgrims landed up north a ways.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Ahh Florida.  I am pretty sure the milky white perpetrators didn't appreciate the irony of white people vandalizing a restaurant, based on apparently racial bigotry in a town with a clearly Spanish name, as the Spaniards were all over Florida in the 16th century quite a few years before the milky white pilgrims landed up north a ways.

You know how the milky white pronounce Punta Gorda?  Punt-a, as in a football.

You know how they pronounce Agui Esta Drive?  Ah-kwee Esta.

Did you know some people here say it's the whitest city in America?

To its credit however, back in the early days, there was a strong African American presence in local businesses.  It was close to 50-50, black/white. 

But a lot of people who retire here are clueless about that.  One newbie said an African American city council member, whose family goes back over 100 years here, didn't belong on the city council because "he doesn't even own land here."

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jules said:

You know how the milky white pronounce Punta Gorda?  Punt-a, as in a football.

You know how they pronounce Agui Esta Drive?  Ah-kwee Esta.

Did you know some people here say it's the whitest city in America?

To its credit however, back in the early days, there was a strong African American presence in local businesses.  It was close to 50-50, black/white. 

But a lot of people who retire here are clueless about that.  One newbie said an African American city council member, whose family goes back over 100 years here, didn't belong on the city council because "he doesn't even own land here."

whiter than   White Settlement, Texas?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

Ahh Florida.  I am pretty sure the milky white perpetrators didn't appreciate the irony of white people vandalizing a restaurant, based on apparently racial bigotry in a town with a clearly Spanish name, as the Spaniards were all over Florida in the 16th century quite a few years before the milky white pilgrims landed up north a ways.

 

St. Augustine is the oldest continually inhabited, non-native American place in entire country....

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Jules said:

You know how the milky white pronounce Punta Gorda?  Punt-a, as in a football.

You know how they pronounce Agui Esta Drive?  Ah-kwee Esta.

Did you know some people here say it's the whitest city in America?

To its credit however, back in the early days, there was a strong African American presence in local businesses.  It was close to 50-50, black/white. 

But a lot of people who retire here are clueless about that.  One newbie said an African American city council member, whose family goes back over 100 years here, didn't belong on the city council because "he doesn't even own land here."

 

For nearly 30 years, I was a Real Estate Broker in Essex, CT, which has the oldest continually operated Inn, in the USA, The Griswold Inn.  The English burned all the ships in our harbor in the war of 1812.  And it was only because the leader of the English Navy, and a local Merchant, with whom he conversed, were both Masons, that further damage to the populace was otherwise spared.  

So years ago,  I was showing around a New York couple, looking for a second home in the Country.  About a half mile from downtown on North Main Street, they noticed pigs being raised on a small one acre family farm.  The prospective buyers were astonished and said, how can your towns zoning and planning commission allow this abomination to happen???   I very sweetly told them that the Doane family had been living off the land here for hundreds of years.  They were speechless, and I was silently wishing them to return to Manhattan post haste!!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

 the oldest continually operated Inn, in the USA, The Griswold Inn. 

Do Clark & Ellen run it?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Do Clark & Ellen run it?

 

Dunno them?  It was originally opened by some Griswold brothers in the 1700's.  Now some modern brothers own and run it, I went to high school with the current Innkeeper brother, Doug. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, billy backstay said:

 

St. Augustine is the oldest continually inhabited, non-native American place in entire country....

Well, that's because the inhabitants of St Augustine burnt the older town up near Jacksonville, and killed it's French inhabitants.

- DSK

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Florida man trailers.  The rear trailer is missing a tire, and it is attached to the front trailer by a rope.

kb1xlyrhcyc71.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, that's because the inhabitants of St Augustine burnt the older town up near Jacksonville, and killed it's French inhabitants.

- DSK

 

 

You are correct, I did not know that......

 

In the following half century, the government of Spain launched no less than six expeditions attempting to settle Florida; all failed. In 1564 French Huguenots (Protestants) succeeded in establishing a fort and colony near the mouth of the St. Johns River at what is today Jacksonville. This settlement posed a threat to the Spanish fleets that sailed the Gulf Stream beside the east coast of Florida, carrying treasure from Central and South America to Spain. As Don Pedro Menéndez de Avilés was assembling a fleet for an expedition to Florida, the French intrusion upon lands claimed by Spain was discovered. King Philip II instructed Menéndez, Spain's most capable admiral, to remove the French menace to Spain's interests.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, billy backstay said:
56 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, that's because the inhabitants of St Augustine burnt the older town up near Jacksonville, and killed it's French inhabitants.

 

 

 

You are correct, I did not know that......

 

In the following half century, the government of Spain launched no less than six expeditions attempting to settle Florida; all failed. In 1564 French Huguenots (Protestants) succeeded in establishing a fort and colony near the mouth of the St. Johns River at what is today Jacksonville. This settlement posed a threat to the Spanish fleets that sailed the Gulf Stream beside the east coast of Florida, carrying treasure from Central and South America to Spain. As Don Pedro Menéndez de Avilés was assembling a fleet for an expedition to Florida, the French intrusion upon lands claimed by Spain was discovered. King Philip II instructed Menéndez, Spain's most capable admiral, to remove the French menace to Spain's interests.

History is weirder, and often far more brutal, than we like to think.

It was pretty common in those days not just to commit genocidal attacks against other countries' unprotected towns but also to enslave the captives.

But if you're ever in the neighborhood, Fort Ribault is a nice afternoon visit.

(disclaimer- I haven't been there in years.... might have changed)

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

History is weirder, and often far more brutal, than we like to think.

It was pretty common in those days not just to commit genocidal attacks against other countries' unprotected towns but also to enslave the captives.

But if you're ever in the neighborhood, Fort Ribault is a nice afternoon visit.

(disclaimer- I haven't been there in years.... might have changed)

- DSK

I'm not sure that we behave any better nowadays.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

St. Augustine one good reason to move to Florida, Ghosts from the Haunted, cemetery ,the fort, and pictures I took at the lighthouse had Orbs , care taker lost his family there.

Bars a great and the zz Top style band playing at the "Trade Winds"

Matanzas Tradewinds St. Augustine 2011.mov - YouTube

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, billy backstay said:

 

You are correct, I did not know that......

 

In the following half century, the government of Spain launched no less than six expeditions attempting to settle Florida; all failed. In 1564 French Huguenots (Protestants) succeeded in establishing a fort and colony near the mouth of the St. Johns River at what is today Jacksonville. This settlement posed a threat to the Spanish fleets that sailed the Gulf Stream beside the east coast of Florida, carrying treasure from Central and South America to Spain. As Don Pedro Menéndez de Avilés was assembling a fleet for an expedition to Florida, the French intrusion upon lands claimed by Spain was discovered. King Philip II instructed Menéndez, Spain's most capable admiral, to remove the French menace to Spain's interests.

wasn't a fun fight,  spanish force slogged up the coast from St Augustine for the attack... that must have been fun...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

St. Augustine one good reason to move to Florida, 

uh no,  who'd want to live in / near a town that has a million tourists a year, those stupid trains running around all over the place...    when we visited (the wife insisted) the Columbus replica ship was there... a Swan would have been better to cross the atlantic in...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I'm not sure that we behave any better nowadays.

 

History is written by the winners, not the losers....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great place to visit but you wouldn't want to live here.  Get in and out, quick like a bunny. Trust me.  Too hot. Too many [insert people you don't like here.] Oh my gawd the hurricanes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sol Rosenberg said:

Great place to visit but you wouldn't want to live here.  Get in and out, quick like a bunny. Trust me.  Too hot. Too many [insert people you don't like here.] Oh my gawd the hurricanes. 

 

LOL!!!  You know you love it there, Sol!  You just don't want Jersey Shore and New Yawkers ruining it for you!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Great place to visit but you wouldn't want to live here.  Get in and out, quick like a bunny. Trust me.  Too hot. Too many [insert people you don't like here.] Oh my gawd the hurricanes. 

not saying I wouldn't , but it sure wouldn't be St Augustine...

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

uh no,  who'd want to live in / near a town that has a million tourists a year, those stupid trains running around all over the place...    when we visited (the wife insisted) the Columbus replica ship was there... a Swan would have been better to cross the atlantic in...

You mean one of those pedal-boat Swans from the lake in Central Park?

- DSK

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

uh no,  who'd want to live in / near a town that has a million tourists a year, those stupid trains running around all over the place...    when we visited (the wife insisted) the Columbus replica ship was there... a Swan would have been better to cross the atlantic in...

That's the best place in FLORIDA I could come up with, but then again many call that area south Georgia.

but haven't been there in years, Sober

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

That's the best place in FLORIDA I could come up with, but then again many call that area south Georgia.

but haven't been there in years, Sober

i dunno, I spent a week down on the beach just south of jacksonville, seems like a nice area...

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Tradewinds lounge. Mid afternoon. Just me and the bartender. Paid for a beer, left the several dollars change on the bar and went to the restroom to take a leak. Came back, no money on bar ... bartender sez he didn't see it or take it. 

That struck me as a sign I was in a tourist joint. Fortunately, it's not the only bar in town. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i dunno, I spent a week down on the beach just south of jacksonville, seems like a nice area...

There's a great Bar in Jax beach , I believe the end of Atlantic ave. called  Ragtime Tavern , Troy would make me great Mt.Gay rum drinks, in my drinking days

Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that COVID cases in Florida are surging...

OMAHA, Neb. — Several states scaled back their reporting of COVID-19 statistics this month just as cases across the country started to skyrocket, depriving the public of real-time information on outbreaks, cases, hospitalizations and deaths in their communities.

When Florida changed the frequency of its virus reporting earlier this month, officials said it made sense given the decreasing number of cases and the increasing number of people being vaccinated.

Cases started soaring soon after, and Florida earlier this week made up up one-fifth of the country’s new coronavirus infections. As a result, Florida’s weekly releases — typically done on Friday afternoons — have consequences for the country’s understanding of the current summer surge, with no statewide COVID stats coming out of the virus hotspot for six days a week.

In Florida’s last two weekly reports, the number of new cases shot up from 23,000 to 45,000 and then 73,000 on Friday, an average of more than 10,000 day. Hospitals are starting to run out of space in parts of the state.

With cases rising, Democrats and other critics have urged state officials and Gov. Ron DeSantis to resume daily outbreak updates.

Florida health officials say that they have not curtailed the sharing of data with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

In Florida, a former health department employee was fired last year after publicly suggesting that managers wanted her to manipulate information on coronavirus statistics to paint a rosier picture. The employee, Rebekah Jones, did not allege any tampering with data, but her comments sowed doubts about the reliability of the metrics.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

I think he means it's a Florida plate.

I just saw a shitty little car in front of a shitty little house.

Not someone who's advice I would value or seek.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Great place to visit but you wouldn't want to live here.  Get in and out, quick like a bunny. Trust me.  Too hot. Too many [insert people you don't like here.] Oh my gawd the hurricanes. 

Was in St. Augustine once.  Did the fort tour, walked the streets, but it was getting to that time of day, when the sun fries you to a crisp.  Found a place across the street where we stayed, the Santa Maria Restaurant, built over the water.  It was a dump but we were thirsty.

The bartender was the only employee.  He looked like an old surfer dude.  We ordered a couple of rum runners.  We were in heaven!  The drinks were excellent, the view of the water was great, and the AC was blasting the heat out of us.  Fond memory.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jules said:

Now that COVID cases in Florida are surging...

OMAHA, Neb. — Several states scaled back their reporting of COVID-19 statistics this month just as cases across the country started to skyrocket, depriving the public of real-time information on outbreaks, cases, hospitalizations and deaths in their communities.

When Florida changed the frequency of its virus reporting earlier this month, officials said it made sense given the decreasing number of cases and the increasing number of people being vaccinated.

Cases started soaring soon after, and Florida earlier this week made up up one-fifth of the country’s new coronavirus infections. As a result, Florida’s weekly releases — typically done on Friday afternoons — have consequences for the country’s understanding of the current summer surge, with no statewide COVID stats coming out of the virus hotspot for six days a week.

In Florida’s last two weekly reports, the number of new cases shot up from 23,000 to 45,000 and then 73,000 on Friday, an average of more than 10,000 day. Hospitals are starting to run out of space in parts of the state.

With cases rising, Democrats and other critics have urged state officials and Gov. Ron DeSantis to resume daily outbreak updates.

Florida health officials say that they have not curtailed the sharing of data with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

In Florida, a former health department employee was fired last year after publicly suggesting that managers wanted her to manipulate information on coronavirus statistics to paint a rosier picture. The employee, Rebekah Jones, did not allege any tampering with data, but her comments sowed doubts about the reliability of the metrics.

Am I the only one that thinks the current behavior of the political party that isn't the Democrats is similar to a famous moment in the Vietnam war?

At the daily afternoon press briefing at MAC-V HQ which the press called the 5 o'clock follies because it happened at 5 p.m., a Public Affairs Officer got up to give the brief and described an action in 1968 where the South Vietnamese village of Ben Tre was completely destroyed in a 'search and destroy', mission.  Then the mostly unknown, young journalist Peter Arnett questioned that kind of strategy.  The PAO Major replied "It became necessary to destroy the town in order to save it."  Many people quote a paraphrased version, "We had to destroy the village in order to save it."  

It seems to me that the current minority party is attempting to do just that to the country.  WTF?  If they get their way it will be one hell of a pyrrhic victory.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

"It became necessary to destroy the town in order to save it."  Many people quote a paraphrased version, "We had to destroy the village in order to save it."  

No other comment better captured the insanity of that war.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I just saw a shitty little car in front of a shitty little house.

Not someone who's advice I would value or seek.

Are you kidding? I think that's a doublewide!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

"It became necessary to destroy the town in order to save it."  Many people quote a paraphrased version, "We had to destroy the village in order to save it."  

It seems to me that the current minority party is attempting to do just that to the country.  WTF?  If they get their way it will be one hell of a pyrrhic victory.

What is most shocking is how many people would read or hear that kind of political bullshit and simply accept it.  We see that today.  Some well known leader or TV talking head makes illogical remarks and people just nod in agreement.  There seems to be no desire to stop and think.

Maybe they should call themselves The Lemming Society.

(and I just googled that to see if it already exists, and sure enough...)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

Are you kidding? I think that's a doublewide!

Even more then.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Get offa my lawn" carried to extremes.

Well, at least nobody started shooting, so there's that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Well, at least nobody started shooting, so there's that.

That's because Floridians know everyone here is armed to the teeth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2021 at 11:40 AM, Jules said:

Was in St. Augustine once.  Did the fort tour, walked the streets, but it was getting to that time of day, when the sun fries you to a crisp.  Found a place across the street where we stayed, the Santa Maria Restaurant, built over the water.  It was a dump but we were thirsty.

The bartender was the only employee.  He looked like an old surfer dude.  We ordered a couple of rum runners.  We were in heaven!  The drinks were excellent, the view of the water was great, and the AC was blasting the heat out of us.  Fond memory.

Santa Maria demolished I think.  Hopefully it gets rebuilt.

St, Aug was really nice.  St. Johns county has exploded and continues to develop and it is becoming solid city from Fernandina through St. Augustine, much like So FL.  Thankfully there are some ocean front preserves along that stretch that will hopefully stay that way.  

Flagler Beach area is still pretty nice and laid back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2021 at 8:47 AM, Not for nothing said:

There's a great Bar in Jax beach , I believe the end of Atlantic ave. called  Ragtime Tavern , Troy would make me great Mt.Gay rum drinks, in my drinking days

That whole "corner" is "the place to be" for the beautiful people, or at least it was pre-covid.  Ragtime could get so packed it was impossible to get in.  It is officially in Atlantic Beach by the way.  People in Atlantic Beach don't like to be mistaken for Jax Beach residents.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bridhb said:

That whole "corner" is "the place to be" for the beautiful people, or at least it was pre-covid.  Ragtime could get so packed it was impossible to get in.  It is officially in Atlantic Beach by the way.  People in Atlantic Beach don't like to be mistaken for Jax Beach residents.

when at Jax beach we ate at the Fish Camp right across the street from ragtime..  it was def a pretty busy area and all the summer people were out...

also, hung out at the green room brewery at jax beach,  good selection of beers and very tasty

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

when at Jax beach we ate at the Fish Camp right across the street from ragtime..  it was def a pretty busy area and all the summer people were out...

The fish camp is in Neptune Beach :-).  They also don't like to be confused with Jax Bch residents.  There is definitely a pecking order.

Yeah, most places in that that corner are way beyond my social status.  I ride bicycles through there sort of often.  Some friends of mine live in Neptune and we ride at Hanna Park, near Mayport, a lot, coming in off the beach to avoid paying the $5 entry fee.  First trail you come to off the beach is called "tightwad".

There is a dive hotel and bar in that corner area, "the lemon bar" that is pretty popular if you visit again.  Right on the beach.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Something like 600 people a day are moving to Florida.  Reports are many of them want to escape the virus and/or the oppressive restrictions some governors have used in an attempt to slow the spread of the pandemic - like mask wearing.

Florida is leading the country in cases reported, about 20% of the nation's cases. 

And now...

Orlando Area Now In ‘Crisis Mode’ Amid Covid-19 Surge, Mayor Says

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Jules said:

Something like 600 people a day are moving to Florida.  Reports are many of them want to escape the virus and/or the oppressive restrictions some governors have used in an attempt to slow the spread of the pandemic - like mask wearing.

Florida is leading the country in cases reported, about 20% of the nation's cases. 

And now...

Orlando Area Now In ‘Crisis Mode’ Amid Covid-19 Surge, Mayor Says

I'm shocked, shocked!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

I think I read something close to that 20-30 years ago too.

My parents escaped South Florida for rural North Florida in the 1970's...I should follow a friend of mine that escaped Florida for Pamlico Sound!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jules said:

Something like 600 people a day are moving to Florida.  Reports are many of them want to escape the virus and/or the oppressive restrictions some governors have used in an attempt to slow the spread of the pandemic - like mask wearing.

So the stupids are congregating in Floriduh. :D

Darwin central.

Link to post
Share on other sites