Don't MoveTo Florida

15 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

I don't see a lot of difference between Texas Republicans and the Taliban.

A $10,000 bounty for turning in an a woman that got an abortion, or an abortion provider?  In the US, land of the free and home of the brave ???  Really????

I saw a reference on Twitter to the "Talibanjo". I like it.

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In our more rural areas there are a lot of freely accessible groves, most of them with old trees and fruits. These have been outshadowed by modern "industrial" species and those are usually heavily sp

Sometimes the local Letters To The Editor can be more amusing than sad: "So I'm driving down Midway and look to the left and there in a church parking lot is a pickup truck with a Confederate fla

FIFY But y’know, same thing was said of Deutschland in the 1930s

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I saw a reference on Twitter to the "Talibanjo". I like it.

Do the Talibanjo types wear a 10 gallon headdress?

11 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I don't see a lot of difference between Texas Republicans and the Taliban.

A $10,000 bounty for turning in an a woman that got an abortion, or an abortion provider?  In the US, land of the free and home of the brave ???  Really????

A fine example of the smaller, non-intrusive government so beloved of Republicans

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Trovão said:

has GA already become PA? asking for a friend...

ain't talkin' 'bout Georgia nor Pennsylvania...

Yes, and it’s a PITA to click on a thread that had been making fun and is now a completely irrelevant discussion about something political.

What is happening is that a couple of chickenshits don’t have the balls to wade into the PA mire and get their asses kicked.

I want my fuckin’ electrons back.

• Like 3

Just got back from a two week road trip up north. 

When we left sunny Florida, it was 91 degrees. 

When we arrived in Nashville, it was 91. (2 nights there) 

When we arrived in Chicago, it was 91. (4 nights)

When we arrived in Benton Harbor, MI, it was 89. (2 nights)

When we arrived in Leland, MI, it was 82.  (4 nights)

One night in Beckley, WV - mid 80s the evening we arrived.

When we arrives in Savannah, it was 84.  (2 nights)  Temps never got above 87 while we were there but with all the shade the trees offer, it never was uncomfortable, even for this Irish lass.  And we walked everywhere.

Arrived home around 6PM yesterday.  It was 87 degrees.  Went out around 10AM today and walked into a toaster oven.  I'm now holed up in the AC with a fan blowing on me and I'm still warm.

We did a lot of walking while on vacation.  Only once did I feel the need to seek shelter from the heat.  But back in Florida?  No way I could last more than 30 minutes walking. 

I attribute a large part of that to a lack of shade trees.  And I think it's because city officials have long felt the need to plant palms because it's what tourists expect.  And palms suck when it comes to providing shade.

Florida needs more shade trees.

8 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Yes, and it’s a PITA to click on a thread that had been making fun and is now a completely irrelevant discussion about something political.

What is happening is that a couple of chickenshits don’t have the balls to wade into the PA mire and get their asses kicked.

I want my fuckin’ electrons back.

Well, that's partly my fault because I mentioned Florida is looking at pulling the Texas act.  And medieval politicians are yet another reason not to move to Florida.  Like I needed another reason...

Speaking of another reason not to move to Florida, did I mention tire rot?  B)

11 minutes ago, Jules said:

Well, that's partly my fault because I mentioned Florida is looking at pulling the Texas act.  And medieval politicians are yet another reason not to move to Florida.  Like I needed another reason...

Speaking of another reason not to move to Florida, did I mention tire rot?  B)

don't be too hard on yourself...Autonomous, Mohamed Bin Lyin and red tuna did some posting in GA and no one showed up to scold them.

Also my fault, a bit-o-a-political post that really did belong in PA. (Even tho...yaknow... the thread is about Florida...and Florida's borders are a political division.)

So I'm going to drink cheap wine tonight as a penance. I'll move back to the good stuff tomorrow after I've ruminated on my offense.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Jules said:

When we arrives in Savannah, it was 84.  (2 nights)  Temps never got above 87 while we were there but with all the shade the trees offer, it never was uncomfortable, even for this Irish lass.  And we walked everywhere.

Arrived home around 6PM yesterday.  It was 87 degrees.  Went out around 10AM today and walked into a toaster oven.  I'm now holed up in the AC with a fan blowing on me and I'm still warm.

We did a lot of walking while on vacation.  Only once did I feel the need to seek shelter from the heat.  But back in Florida?  No way I could last more than 30 minutes walking. 

I attribute a large part of that to a lack of shade trees.  And I think it's because city officials have long felt the need to plant palms because it's what tourists expect.  And palms suck when it comes to providing shade.

We had more trees.  You live in a reclaimed swamp.  Any trees that were there 50 years ago we knocked over.  I have shade trees in my yard.

The latest example is Sunshitter and Mudrock.

Don't blame the officials, blame us, we elected them.

3 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

We had more trees.  You live in a reclaimed swamp.  Any trees that were there 50 years ago we knocked over.  I have shade trees in my yard.

Yep.

No rule against planting trees.

My yard is shaded and cool, or at least cooler than the surrounding areas that have been denuded of everything green except precious lawns. Many of my neighbors are angry that our POA has rules against cutting down trees, if it were up to me I'd make it the rule that you can cut down any tree you want as long as you plant two more. This area was a wetlands forest until humans fucked it up.

- DSK

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yep.

No rule against planting trees.

My yard is shaded and cool, or at least cooler than the surrounding areas that have been denuded of everything green except precious lawns. Many of my neighbors are angry that our POA has rules against cutting down trees, if it were up to me I'd make it the rule that you can cut down any tree you want as long as you plant two more. This area was a wetlands forest until humans fucked it up.

- DSK

Our 2 acres is mostly deciduous trees, filled with birds.  We like it that way, but need to be careful!  I very large limb came down off of a tall white oak near the house.  Barely scratched the wood shingle siding that was painted fresh last year.  But it did rip the power wires off the house, without us losing power.  We were considering having solar panels installed, until one astute sales person pulled our lot up on Google Earth and told us we must cut down a bunch of our trees on the south side of house.  Not gonna happen, gives us great shade in the summer and suns warmth in winter.  

6 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

The latest example is Sunshitter and Mudrock.

Don't blame the officials, blame us, we elected them.

When I did the virtual buildout for the Journey To The Future presentation, I realized how few trees there were in the downtown area.  So for the buildout, I put in lots of trees and beautifying landscape.  When I presented it to the committee I was told I had to take out the landscaping because what I did wasn't in the LDR requirements. 

So the LDR is a problem, too.

36 minutes ago, Jules said:

So the LDR is a problem, too.

LDR is (The Church of the Saints of the )Latter Day Reprobates?

Fat Jack got it right. It's the people of Florida that let this shit happen, for one reason or another.  Pretty much the world too.  People love to bitch about things as though some mysterious entity is making the rules. Almost every decision made in our world is made by people, not god or space aliens or whatever.  As Pogo said, we have met the enemy and he is us.

I'm not being political, it's just a fact.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

LDR is (The Church of the Saints of the )Latter Day Reprobates?

Fat Jack got it right. It's the people of Florida that let this shit happen, for one reason or another.  Pretty much the world too.  People love to bitch about things as though some mysterious entity is making the rules. Almost every decision made in our world is made by people, not god or space aliens or whatever.  As Pogo said, we have met the enemy and he is us.

I'm not being political, it's just a fact.

LDR - Land Development Reprobates ;)

But, yes, people made them.  And they purposefully omitted requiring and substantial landscaping because they didn't want to scare off developers and builders.  I learned this in my many meetings with the people who were looking at changing the LDR (AKA zoning laws) here. 

What residents bitch about most here is building heights.  Mention that and there will be a hoard of red shirts screaming at the top of their lungs. "NO 100' TALL BUILDINGS!"  Yet, when we were in Savannah, we were across the street from the DeSoto Hotel.  It's 189 ft tall.  You could barely see the top because a canopy of live oaks blocked the view. 

Here, a 3-story building sticks out like a sore thumb because there are no shade trees to hide its height.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Jules said:

LDR - Land Development Reprobates ;)

But, yes, people made them.  And they purposefully omitted requiring and substantial landscaping because they didn't want to scare off developers and builders.  I learned this in my many meetings with the people who were looking at changing the LDR (AKA zoning laws) here. 

What residents bitch about most here is building heights.  Mention that and there will be a hoard of red shirts screaming at the top of their lungs. "NO 100' TALL BUILDINGS!"  Yet, when we were in Savannah, we were across the street from the DeSoto Hotel.  It's 189 ft tall.  You could barely see the top because a canopy of live oaks blocked the view. 

Here, a 3-story building sticks out like a sore thumb because there are no shade trees to hide its height.

When I worked in a civil engineering office the named partner never saw a piece of dirt that he didn't think needed "improving".

• Like 3

Scientific report warns of climate-induced extreme heat; ‘Florida is in the bullseye’

Union of Concerned Scientists cites hazards to health and economy

As with Hurricane Michael in October 2018 and Hurricane Ida this week, climate change is stoking severe weather the likes of which the Gulf Coast has rarely seen before.

It starts with heat, which has reached record highs for the last seven years, scientists say.

And the heat will get worse, much worse, warns the Union of Concerned Scientists in a new climate-focused report titled “Too Hot To Work.”

In densely populated south Florida, which is hot even on a mild day, outdoor workers will be hit the hardest. That represents estimated individual losses of $3,700 to $5,000 in lost annual wages, the report says.

And not only do they face loss of wages due to heat, they are 35 times more likely to die out there.

“Florida is in the bullseye on all of this,” Dahl said. “Even with rapid action, there will be more rise in the heat.” Dahl, based in San Francisco, said conservative states such as Florida have not adopted clean-energy programs and may avoid taking action against extreme heat and other climate changes until compelled to do so at the federal level.

Now I have to add, "Don't work outside in Florida" to the warnings. B)

14 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Wouldn't it be simpler to just say "Stay away from Floriduh"?

Oh, you can vacation there.  And you can snowbird there, provided you have safe haven elsewhere.  But don't move there.

OTOH, everyone should immediately move to the area where I live and enter into a bidding war for my house.  I'm sure we can come to some agreement on price. 

DethSantis is not happy...

A Florida judge has ruled the state cannot enforce its ban on mask mandates in public schools to guard against the coronavirus while an appeals court sorts out whether the ban is ultimately legal.

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) — A Florida judge ruled Wednesday that the state cannot enforce a ban on public schools mandating the use of masks to guard against the coronavirus, while an appeals court sorts out whether the ban is ultimately legal.

Leon County Circuit Judge John C. Cooper lifted an automatic stay of his decision last week that Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis and state education officials exceeded their authority by imposing the blanket ban through executive order and tagging defiant pro-mask local school boards with financial penalties.

Cooper said the ovewhelming evidence before him in a lawsuit by parents challenging the DeSantis ban is that wearing masks does provide some protection for children in crowded school settings, particularly those under 12 for whom no vaccine yet exists. The issue came to a head amid a recent surge in cases caused by the more contagious and deadly delta variant of the virus, which health statistics show has begun to wane.

“We're not in normal times. We are in a pandemic,” Cooper said during a hearing held remotely. “We have a (coronavirus) variant that is more infectious and dangerous to children than the one we had last year."

3 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

And he is appalling, I mean appealing.  He sure likes to spend our money on lawyers.

He's practicing for when he gets to be Presidunce.

On 9/8/2021 at 12:14 PM, Fat Point Jack said:

Sunshitter is a resort that took out 15 acres of a neighborhood with old trees.  Mudrock Village took out a couple hundred acres and replaced them with houses, streets and palm trees.

Both of those increase the tax base, which we learned in Kelo v New London is a public purpose and outweighs little things like Suzette Kelo's little pink house.

I'm not being political, just a fact.

DerSantis gets kicked in the teeth again -

Judge blocks enforcement of Florida's 'anti-riot' law

Sept 9 (Reuters) - A federal judge on Thursday blocked enforcement of an anti-riot law spearheaded by Florida Governor Ron DeSantis in response to nationwide protests last year over racial injustice, saying the legislation likely violated the U.S. Constitution.

U.S. District Judge Mark Walker, ruling in a lawsuit brought by civil rights groups, did not rule the entire statute was unconstitutional but found that the Florida legislature's new definition of the word "riot" was too vague and confusing to satisfy free-speech rights guaranteed under the First Amendment.

"If this court does not enjoin the statute's enforcement, the lawless actions of a few rogue individuals could effectively criminalize the protected speech of hundreds, if not thousands, of law-abiding Floridians," he wrote.

In the 90-page ruling, Walker, who was appointed in 2012 by then-President Barack Obama, included a three-page history of the civil rights movement in Florida dating back to 1956.

No doubt TFG Mini-Me will spend more taxpayer dollars appealing this, too.  Maybe there needs to be a law preventing obviously political red meat bills from being defended using public money.

• Like 1
On 9/7/2021 at 11:56 AM, Jules said:

Florida has Plenty of Shady Characters to make up for lack of Fucking Eucalyptus Fucking Trees

the more Non Palm Trees the MORE FUCKING RACCOONS

careful what ya wish for !!!!

3 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

Florida has Plenty of Shady Characters to make up for lack of Fucking Eucalyptus Fucking Trees

the more Non Palm Trees the MORE FUCKING RACCOONS

careful what ya wish for !!!!

I grew up in Chicago, not far from a forest preserve.  I know raccoons well.  I'll take them anytime over the fucking heat here.  And the no-seeums.  And the Floriduh persons.  And....  Well, you know.

12 minutes ago, Jules said:

I grew up in Chicago, not far from a forest preserve.  I know raccoons well.  I'll take them anytime over the fucking heat here.  And the no-seeums.  And the Floriduh persons.  And....  Well, you know.

You dointe sonde happey..............

With locking garbage and organic bins, the trash pandas are no problem around here. Occasionally a cat will try and take one on, but that soon meets grim reality and the cat usually escapes to heal.

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Anybody who doesn't like raccoons has some serious deficiencies in their emotional makeup.

shipping address ??

you could be a Raccoon Lady with 5 just to get started

3 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Or they've actually had to deal with those effers.  Reality, and a raccoon, bites.

I walk across the street to my friend's house.  She answers the door freaking out.  "There's a raccoon under our couch!"

"What do you want me to do about it?"

"Get rid of it!"

I had one earlier experience with a raccoon when I was a bit younger.  The speed of that strike scared the shit out of me.  But I went to check out the raccoon under the couch anyway.  From a distance.  With a flashlight.

It was a baby raccoon.  "Get me some ski gloves," I said to my scaredy cat friend.  She hands me the ski gloves.  I pull the couch away from the wall and can see it from above.  I reach down and grab it by the nape of the neck.

That mother fucker started screeching, kicking and trying to bite me.  As I ran for the door I said, "OPEN THE FUCKING DOOR NOW!"  Then I tossed that ornery varmint as far as I could and slammed the door shut.  My heart was beating out of my chest.

And it was only a baby raccoon.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Jules said:

I walk across the street to my friend's house.  She answers the door freaking out.  "There's a raccoon under our couch!"

"Get rid of it!"

I had one earlier experience with a raccoon when I was a bit younger.  The speed of that strike scared the shit out of me.  But I went to check out the raccoon under the couch anyway.  From a distance.  With a flashlight.

It was a baby raccoon.  "Get me some ski gloves," I said to my scaredy cat friend.  She hands me the ski gloves.  I pull the couch away from the wall and can see it from above.  I reach down and grab it by the nape of the neck.

That mother fucker started screeching, kicking and trying to bite me.  As I ran for the door I said, "OPEN THE FUCKING DOOR NOW!"  Then I tossed that ornery varmint as far as I could and slammed the door shut.  My heart was beating out of my chest.

Yup.

A friend in St Loo had his "mean as shit" dog torn up by a raccoon half its size.  The raccoon was the aggressor.  The dog didn't know where the raccoon was until it hit him.  Thousands of dollars in vet bills.  

Couple of nights later, the little bastard ate a full house 3.5" Turkey load and kept coming.  Second round settled his hash. The third was just for insurance - and payback.  

Nasty effers.

We've got a small one living in our palm tree in the dog's paddock. There's a suppressed 10/22 in its future.  

• Like 1
Just now, Snaggletooth said:

Do it nowe, befoire thouht and judgement interferre..................                do youselfe a favioure....     :)

Bawana huntin' wiley Bull Raccoon long time now. Bad luck, bad juju.

Never had a clear and/or safe shot.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Bawana huntin' wiley Bull Raccoon long time now. Bad luck, bad juju.

Never had a clear and/or safe shot.  

Anny shotte is a goode shotte, tacke a legge, tacke hime fulle tomorrow,,,,       :)

29 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Anny shotte is a goode shotte, tacke a legge, tacke hime fulle tomorrow,,,,       :)

Not true. Some of the shots I had at him could conceivably have put my neighbors at a very, very slight, but completely unacceptable, risk. Didn't even shoulder the gun. You always have to worry about what's beyond your target. If I could have shot toward the back of my property, there's only miles and miles of empty land beyond.   

Besides, you never want to wound an animal.  Not ethical.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

shipping address ??

you could be a Raccoon Lady with 5 just to get started

Thanks - we've got lots.

Lotsa squirrels too.

And no problems with either.

3 hours ago, Jules said:

"Get rid of it!"

Should have just swept the little fucker out with a corn broom.

Or leave a trail of food towards the door with an egg at the far end.

You do not want to get within arms length of one - even a baby.

But you knew that.

Silence is golden Golden

As my eyes can see

As my eyes can seeeeeeeee

Not in the city/county

20210827_094348~3.jpg

20210827_094348~2.jpg

On 9/8/2021 at 6:17 PM, Jules said:

OTOH, everyone should immediately move to the area where I live and enter into a bidding war for my house.  I'm sure we can come to some agreement on price. 

If you're trying to sell for more than a few days in this market, you're not trying very hard and/or delusional about price.

5 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

If you're trying to sell for more than a few days in this market, you're not trying very hard and/or delusional about price.

It was a joke.

25 minutes ago, Jules said:

It was a joke.

The only ones that are concerned with the value of my house are my kids.  Hopefully the value will be even higher after our passing.

But IF I were to sell, I'd ask stupid money, cuz somebody might pay stupid money 

57 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Years ago I worked on a house in West Van whose owner would live trap raccoons and release them on Bowen Island.  

Had some kind of grudge. 

PURE EVIL !!!

13 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

A Rare, Flesh-Eating Infection Has Killed 8 People in Florida This Year

Vibrio vulnificus can make us sick when we eat undercooked seafood. But it's much scarier when it gets into open wounds.

My neighbor down the street was down in the canal doing some work.  A little later he had a problem with a cut he got from the coral - it was a flesh-eating infection.  Before he knew it, the infection exploded and he came very close to losing his leg. 

Who knows what kind of shit is in the water.  Lake O releases to both coasts and fucks up our rivers and inlets all the time.  Blue/green algae, red tides, hell people even had respiratory issues a few years ago being too close to some of the canals.

28 minutes ago, Jkdubz808 said:

Who knows what kind of shit is in the water.  Lake O releases to both coasts and fucks up our rivers and inlets all the time.  Blue/green algae, red tides, hell people even had respiratory issues a few years ago being too close to some of the canals.

We're just off the Peace River.  But some have suggested corporations are dumping toxic waste into the river.  My response?

Impossible, I say!  This is a Republican-run state!  No way our Red Leaders would ever put corporate profits over the health of the people!!!

46 minutes ago, Jules said:

Impossible, I say!  This is a Republican-run state!  No way our Red Leaders would ever put corporate profits over the health of the people!!!

should have been in purple

6 hours ago, Jules said:

We're just off the Peace River.  But some have suggested corporations are dumping toxic waste into the river.  My response?

The phosphate mines were around, and had been for some time, in 1992.

10 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

A few years before that.

Jules. did you bitch like this about the Grand Calumet River or the Chicago River?

Florida Phosphate Mining History

Florida phosphate mining dates back to the first hard rock deposits found near Hawthorne in Alachua County in 1883. Endurance was imperative in the early years when phosphate mining was done with wheelbarrows, picks and shovels. Next came mule-drawn scrapers. Mechanized excavation began between 1900 and 1905 with steam shovels. Early steam shovels held only one cubic yard of earth, but one steam shovel operated by three men did the work 80 men did by hand.

Steam dredges and barges came into use in hard rock areas where the water level was too high for picks and shovels. Centrifugal pumps mounted on barges were also used to mine the river-pebble phosphate deposits in the Peace River until river-pebble mining ended in 1908.

Draglines, the current mining tool, came into use with the dawn of electricity and diesel power in the 1920s and 1930s. By 1930 these electrically driven draglines were adopted as the most economical way to mine land pebble. They also were put to use in the hard rock region.

The dragline significantly changed the mining operation. In 1900 it took a year to mine a 15-acre mine site with picks and shovels. Today one dragline mines 15 acres in a month.

Digging the phosphate out of the ground is only one step of the mining process. Phosphate comes out of the ground as part of a matrix, which is a mix of the phosphate, sand and clay. The phosphate must be separated from the sand and clay it has melded with in the ground over millions of years. Early separation methods included crushing, washing, screening and, in the case of hard rock, picking out silica by hand on a conveyor belt.

Separation advancements in the 1920s and 1930s allowed companies to begin salvaging phosphate particles they had been discarding as waste. Improvements were made in preparing matrix for washing and screening, finer screens were used, and equipment capacity increased. The most important change, however, was the 1927 development of flotation, which separates phosphate rock from sand based on their difference in hydrophobicity (water aversiveness).

Since 1942, most mining advancements have been in refining the dragline mining and flotation processes. Technology advances continue to make it possible for phosphate companies to mine and use lower quality rock. A research focus today (2005) is finding a feasible and economically attractive method for separating dolomite from the ore being mined. Much of today’s reserves are left in the ground because the dolomite, which contains magnesium, causes problems at the fertilizer processing plant.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Fat Point Jack said:
10 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

A few years before that.

I picked 1992 because that was the last time TeamD had control of the FL Governorship, House, and Senate and so were completely to blame.

Except that I think Dennis told me it was the 1970's when a stack pond up river blew out and killed almost everything in the northern harbor. I haven't gone back to make sure of which Team was responsible. It's not like this is a branch of PA or anything.

On 9/12/2021 at 10:39 AM, Jules said:

My neighbor down the street was down in the canal doing some work.  A little later he had a problem with a cut he got from the coral - it was a flesh-eating infection.  Before he knew it, the infection exploded and he came very close to losing his leg. 

couple of guys at the club  pulling logs out of the water at the lake, got scratched up... fortunately for one guy, his wife a chief operating nurse saw the infection and got him to the emergency room,  they both could have ended up in bad shape..

The Governor  DeSanta wants to kill all his followers is he stupid or are they?

Get a Vaccine and get a $5000 fine ? 

I hope he kills all the jersey republicans on state pensions that vote for this fucking moron 

DeSantis: Mandating COVID-19 vaccines could mean ‘millions and millions’ in fines - YouTube

• Like 1

DethSantis is playing a game he hopes to win - sell the voters on the RWNJ version of freedom in hopes intelligence, common sense and facts don't trickle down to his base.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Jules said:

DethSantis is playing a game he hopes to win - sell the voters on the RWNJ version of freedom in hopes intelligence, common sense and facts don't trickle down to his base.

How bad is it in Florida that this man is still in office?  Don't they realize he is just making shit up so he can run for president and try to get all of the millions of Trump voters to vote for him?  

What the hell has happened to the US?  

And to all of the whiners, this isn't politics, it is about a clear and present danger to the country.  When the country becomes a RWNJ white Christian theocracy where minorities, immigrants and women will be 2nd class citizens at best.  The Rs are using every dirty trick in the book to manipulate the vote and silence the majority, all the way up to the supreme court.   And people will sadly shake their heads in wonder and ask, "How all of did this happen|."  When the revolution comes and there is blood in the streets, are you folks going to sit at home and say. "Stop it, it's political and it doesn't belong here."?

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

For those of us outside the USA, what is going on there is simply incomprehensible.  

• Like 5
6 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

How bad is it in Florida that this man is still in office?  Don't they realize he is just making shit up so he can run for president and try to get all of the millions of Trump voters to vote for him?  

And to all of the whiners, this isn't politics, it is about a clear and present danger to the country.  When the country becomes a RWNJ white Christian theocracy where minorities, immigrants and women will be 2nd class citizens at best.  The Rs are using every dirty trick in the book to manipulate the vote and silence the majority, all the way up to the supreme court.   And people will sadly shake their heads in wonder and ask, "How all of did this happen|."  When the revolution comes and there is blood in the streets, are you folks going to sit at home and say. "Stop it, it's political and it doesn't belong here."?

How was it that the good people of Germany succumbed to the Hitler leadership? 

I think we're in somewhat of a similar situation where so many US citizens are unhappy with what has happened over the past 4 decades.  We are in a robber baron age again.  Our legislative and judicial branches have effectively made campaign bribes legal.  The masses see obscenely wealthy people become even wealthier.  And what American calls "a job" the average person can't live on.  The people are desperate for somebody to turn the tide.

As for DethSantis, consider the fact that a guy who made millions bilking the state became a 2 term governor then was elected to the senate.  And with this face:

1731725188_3IGkuJA1.png.036bcfc3b280977476dd5960ba052960.png

Not sure which one he is, but I know it's one of these.

• Like 2

Any normal person looking at this picture would probably wonder if it was taken in Afghanistan

antimasker_machinegun.jpg.42a1b228b835fec32bccf593a780d0ae.jpg

But, no.  This is Florida and these fine gentlemen are elected themselves as protectors of those seeking a mask exemption.  Signed by a Venice, FL chiropractor. 

Yeah.  You read that right.  People showed up at an event to get a mask exemption and ammosexuals heard this as a call show up armed for the kill.

WTF is wrong with this state?  Used to be when men showed up with assault rifles and body armor, they would send out the SWAT team.  Here they go, "Thank you for protecting us!"

I have some really dear and sweet friends that live in Florida (they retired there).  I don't think I can bring myself to ever visit them again.....

On 9/13/2021 at 4:11 AM, Fat Point Jack said:

A few years before that.

Jules. did you bitch like this about the Grand Calumet River or the Chicago River?

Florida Phosphate Mining History

Florida phosphate mining dates back to the first hard rock deposits found near Hawthorne in Alachua County in 1883. Endurance was imperative in the early years when phosphate mining was done with wheelbarrows, picks and shovels. Next came mule-drawn scrapers. Mechanized excavation began between 1900 and 1905 with steam shovels. Early steam shovels held only one cubic yard of earth, but one steam shovel operated by three men did the work 80 men did by hand.

Steam dredges and barges came into use in hard rock areas where the water level was too high for picks and shovels. Centrifugal pumps mounted on barges were also used to mine the river-pebble phosphate deposits in the Peace River until river-pebble mining ended in 1908.

Draglines, the current mining tool, came into use with the dawn of electricity and diesel power in the 1920s and 1930s. By 1930 these electrically driven draglines were adopted as the most economical way to mine land pebble. They also were put to use in the hard rock region.

The dragline significantly changed the mining operation. In 1900 it took a year to mine a 15-acre mine site with picks and shovels. Today one dragline mines 15 acres in a month.

Digging the phosphate out of the ground is only one step of the mining process. Phosphate comes out of the ground as part of a matrix, which is a mix of the phosphate, sand and clay. The phosphate must be separated from the sand and clay it has melded with in the ground over millions of years. Early separation methods included crushing, washing, screening and, in the case of hard rock, picking out silica by hand on a conveyor belt.

Separation advancements in the 1920s and 1930s allowed companies to begin salvaging phosphate particles they had been discarding as waste. Improvements were made in preparing matrix for washing and screening, finer screens were used, and equipment capacity increased. The most important change, however, was the 1927 development of flotation, which separates phosphate rock from sand based on their difference in hydrophobicity (water aversiveness).

Since 1942, most mining advancements have been in refining the dragline mining and flotation processes. Technology advances continue to make it possible for phosphate companies to mine and use lower quality rock. A research focus today (2005) is finding a feasible and economically attractive method for separating dolomite from the ore being mined. Much of today’s reserves are left in the ground because the dolomite, which contains magnesium, causes problems at the fertilizer processing plant.

Don't think she was alive when that shit went down..  

On 9/13/2021 at 6:11 AM, Fat Point Jack said:

Oh, Jack, it's not bitching.  It's reporting BREAKING NEWS!!!

16 hours ago, Jules said:

It's Floriduh isn't it?

5 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

FIFY

But y’know, same thing was said of Deutschland in the 1930s

The political parallels are truly terrifying.

I've been saying it since 2016.

My parents were adults when this was going on.

This is not "political differences".

American Nazis in the 1930s—The German American Bund - The Atlantic

• Like 1