Don't MoveTo Florida

3 minutes ago, shaggy said:

reminds me of about 48 secs in...  LOL

Thanks for that!!  I need to find that on demand or YouTube, which my smart TV knows how to find, it's way smarter than I am!!

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Of course there is. Evolutionary time is vast compared to the span since ‘civilization’ began, and even then… Let’s face it, aggression is a beneficial trait, then and today. Now it’s just called ‘amb

In our more rural areas there are a lot of freely accessible groves, most of them with old trees and fruits. These have been outshadowed by modern "industrial" species and those are usually heavily sp

Sometimes the local Letters To The Editor can be more amusing than sad: "So I'm driving down Midway and look to the left and there in a church parking lot is a pickup truck with a Confederate fla

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Thanks for that!!  I need to find that on demand or YouTube, which my smart TV knows how to find, it's way smarter than I am!!

Just get a 5 year old in like we do.

2 hours ago, Jules said:

Honestly, I find them about as frightening as these guys

I read an interview with James Dickey some years ago.  He said he regretted putting that scene in the novel.  He wished that people would focus on the deeper meaning of the book.

26 minutes ago, Jules said:

You mean don't go hunting in the hills?

Well, that too.

Dickey was primarily a poet and poets pack a lot into a few sentences.  Deliverance is no exception even if it isn't a poem.  It says a lot about life and the human condition in a very short book.

I highly recommend the book, but I have to say the film followed the book very closely.  Unusual for most films.  I 'enjoyed' both very much, given the darkness of the story.  

Of course parsing a heavily metaphorical work is always challenging and often very subjective.  For example, I think I could make a very good case that the guy with the bad teeth in the YouTube clip represents the modern Republican party and the the Ned Beatty character is the American working class.  Dickey was a very perceptive writer.

Only boat collision I have ever been in was just south of the Haulover sand bar. Going under the Broad Causeway some idiot thought he didn't need to slow down, so he proceeded to pass the boat behind us while doing about 30kts. Sees on coming boats heading north and turns right into us. If he turned any sharper the bow would have road right over my friends boat. On the plus side, he got treated to the full USCG boarding experience and drug testing by the Miami-Dade marine patrol. The lesson, don't snort coke and drive boats. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Looks like similar conditions to Haulover Inlet. A big bag of laughs.

Does Floriduh require you to show a Brainless Incompetence card when you buy an outboard?

• Like 1

Florida deputies jailed, suspended after brawl with sailors

MONROE-COUNTY-DEPUTY-ARREST.jpg?ve=1&tl=

KEY WEST (AP) — Two sheriff’s deputies have been suspended after they were arrested for an off-duty brawl with U.S. sailors in Key West early Saturday, leaving one of the sailors injured, officials said.

Monroe County deputies Connor Curry, 23, and Trevor Pike, 25, remained jailed Saturday morning, charged with disorderly conduct, jail records show. Pike faces an additional charge of felony battery.

The two uninjured sailors, whose names were not released, were charged with disorderly conduct, Key West police said in a press release.

They are part of a squadron visiting U.S. Naval Air Station Key West.

Police said the deputies and sailors began arguing shortly before 2 a.m. on Duval Street, a popular area that has bars and restaurants.

Police officers said they witnessed Pike punch a 27-year-old sailor in the face while Curry pushed him, causing the sailor to fall and strike his head.

The sailor was flown by helicopter to a hospital near Miami. His condition was not released.

Monroe County Sheriff Rick Ramsay said in a statement that he was suspending the deputies without pay. He said he “saddened by this incident and it will be fully investigated.”

Jail records show that Pike and Curry were released Saturday — Pike on $55,000 bail and Curry on his own recognizance.

No attorneys were listed.

On 12/15/2021 at 6:13 PM, Max Rockatansky said:

22921CBF-BEB5-4DDD-8A7D-D66D4FB7A549.jpeg

On 12/16/2021 at 1:39 AM, Lochnerian Tom said:

Looks just right to me. I flew my 15 Whaler at least that high as a kid but never got a pic. The guy who held the insurance on it happened to be watching. I'm told he turned pale. Broke my old style Doel Fin on the landing, which I didn't know until I saw half of it floating by in the current after I docked. Best available pic:

15whalerjump.jpg

On 12/16/2021 at 2:57 AM, Max Rockatansky said:

Yeah but your pic doesn’t show you in close proximity to another boat. 

WTF's wrong with the 1st Pic ??

Two Girls One Boat - SENDING IT !!!!

Getting WILD

Looking like they KNOW - They Are Going to Landit

V

pic of a dude alone on a boat

That is thread Hi-Jack

but don't stop now :rolleyes::lol:

11 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I haven't been to Key West in over a decade. Kinda miss it, but kinda don't.

- DSK

I have never been to Florida or Key West and I doubt that I ever will go there.

But in my experience of having visited Europe several times in my youth in the 1960s- early1970s, and having lived here for many years now, I imagine it is like all of the popular places, overrun with tourists and has become a crowded caricature of what it used to be.

6 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

But in my experience of having visited Europe several times in my youth in the 1960s- early1970s, and having lived here for many years now, I imagine it is like all of the popular places, overrun with tourists and has become a crowded caricature of what it used to be.

I first went to a swim meet in Key West in the 70's. It was a caricature overrun with tourists then.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I have never been to Florida or Key West and I doubt that I ever will go there.

Based on the reports of development just in this area, it won't be long before there is no room for tourists.  And if the Doomsday Glacier breaks off, well, Florida is gonna get a lot smaller.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jules said:

Based on the reports of development just in this area, it won't be long before there is no room for tourists.  And if the Doomsday Glacier breaks off, well, Florida is gonna get a lot smaller.

It probably won't happen in our lifetime left, but comfortable to have a house with a lovely riverview at 210' above seal level......

54 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

It probably won't happen in our lifetime left, but comfortable to have a house with a lovely riverview at 210' above seal level......

Antarctica's 'Doomsday Glacier' could meet its doom within 3 years

Thwaites Glacier is roughly the size of Florida, and holds enough ice to raise sea levels over two feet.

Time is melting away for one of Antarctica's biggest glaciers, and its rapid deterioration could end with the ice shelf's complete collapse in just a few years, researchers warned at a virtual press briefing on Monday (Dec. 13) at the annual meeting of the American Geophysical Union (AGU).

Thwaites glacier in western Antarctica is the widest glacier on Earth, spanning about 80 miles (120 kilometers) and extending to a depth of about 2,600 to 3,900 feet (800 to 1,200 meters) at its grounding line — where the glacier transitions from a land-attached ice mass to a floating ice shelf in the Amundsen Sea. Thwaites is sometimes referred to as the "Doomsday Glacier," as its collapse could trigger a cascade of glacial collapse in Antarctica, and the latest research from the frozen continent suggests that doomsday may be coming for the dwindling glacier even sooner than expected. 

17 hours ago, Jules said:

We're in the middle of a wind event that is doing more damage than anything I've seen since Irma.  Palm fronds are breaking off and sent flying.  Bad time to go for a walk.

Came over I75 just after they closed the 41 bridges yesterday. There were breaking waves from bridge to bridge. I've never seen anything like it, and I sailed that stretch in a tropical storm a few years ago.

Branch tips shredded on all trees, so there's light where there used to be shade. Some big branches down, one tree broke in half, shingles off a couple of rental houses. Going to fly my drone this morning to see how much more roof damage happened.

That was no ordinary cold front line.

55 minutes ago, Lochnerian Tom said:

Came over I75 just after they closed the 41 bridges yesterday. There were breaking waves from bridge to bridge. I've never seen anything like it, and I sailed that stretch in a tropical storm a few years ago.

Branch tips shredded on all trees, so there's light where there used to be shade. Some big branches down, one tree broke in half, shingles off a couple of rental houses. Going to fly my drone this morning to see how much more roof damage happened.

41 was closed due to flying plywood from Sunshitter.

5 hours ago, Lochnerian Tom said:

Near it's peak, I checked out Windy.com.  There was a small cyclone just off the cost of Sarasota, maybe 100 miles across.   The Sun reported 87 MPH gust in Englewood and 74 at the Peace River bridge.

At one point, I saw our boat take a wind hit, maybe 20 degrees.  Other than the spars, the only resistance was the furled genoa.  Our driveway was covered in broken fronds from the royals across the street.  The guy whose house I've been working on lost some gutter from a broken royal branch. 

Yeah, this was far from ordinary.  Merry Christmas.

18 hours ago, Jules said:

Near it's peak, I checked out Windy.com.  There was a small cyclone just off the cost of Sarasota, maybe 100 miles across.   The Sun reported 87 MPH gust in Englewood and 74 at the Peace River bridge.

At one point, I saw our boat take a wind hit, maybe 20 degrees.  Other than the spars, the only resistance was the furled genoa.  Our driveway was covered in broken fronds from the royals across the street.  The guy whose house I've been working on lost some gutter from a broken royal branch. 

Yeah, this was far from ordinary.  Merry Christmas.

The day before, I saw that Windfinder was forecasting 30+ knots sustained and gusts over 40. I laughed. They're always saying stuff like that. I told my wife it was just sailorly wishful thinking, always predicting more wind than we'll actually see.

Oops. They were kinda low. Back to normal today, I see. Predicting 16 knot gusts this morning. There's no way that's going to happen.

23 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

41 was closed due to flying plywood from Sunshitter.

Makes sense, and construction sites do have lots of plywood and stuff laying around. You expect a tropical storm to fling them, not a cold front.

The KKK, in Florida law enforcement?

By JASON DEAREN

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — For nearly 10 years, Joseph Moore lived a secret double life.

At times the U.S. Army veteran donned a white robe and hood as a hit man for the Ku Klux Klan in North Florida. He attended clandestine meetings and participated in cross burnings. He even helped plan the murder of a Black man.

However, Moore wore something else during his years in the klan – a wire for the FBI. He recorded his conversations with his fellow klansmen, sometimes even captured video, and shared what he learned with federal agents trying to crack down on white supremacists in Florida law enforcement.

...he reached out to a reporter after The Associated Press published a series of stories about white supremacists working in Florida’s prisons that were based, in part, on records and recordings detailing his work with the FBI.

“The FBI wanted me to gather as much information about these individuals and confirm their identities,” Moore said of law enforcement officers who were active members of or working with the klan.

“From where I sat, with the intelligence laid out, I can tell you that none of these agencies have any control over any of it. It is more prevalent and consequential than any of them are willing to admit.”

Moore said he noted connections between the hate group and law enforcement in Florida and Georgia. He said he came across dozens of police officers, prison guards, sheriff deputies and other law enforcement officers who were involved with the klan and outlaw motorcycle clubs.

• Like 2
Police try to identify shooter

Photo by: Miramar Police Department
A gunman can be seen opening fire outside a Sunoco gas station on Pembroke Road in Miramar.

poster_5f64baf01ba94eef93e1c2baa5ff9023.jpg
Miramar gas station shooting, Dec. 22, 2021

Posted at 1:49 PM, Dec 23, 2021

and last updated 1:57 PM, Dec 23, 2021

MIRAMAR, Fla. — Police are trying to identify a gunman who opened fire on another man at a South Florida gas station.

22 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:
Police try to identify shooter

Photo by: Miramar Police Department
A gunman can be seen opening fire outside a Sunoco gas station on Pembroke Road in Miramar.

poster_5f64baf01ba94eef93e1c2baa5ff9023.jpg
Miramar gas station shooting, Dec. 22, 2021

Posted at 1:49 PM, Dec 23, 2021

and last updated 1:57 PM, Dec 23, 2021

MIRAMAR, Fla. — Police are trying to identify a gunman who opened fire on another man at a South Florida gas station.

I found the link, if anyone cares. https://www.wptv.com/news/state/broward/surveillance-video-shows-gunman-open-fire-at-sunoco-gas-station-in-miramar

Had another epic day here in FLA.

Strange that there are 'rock throwers' around these parts who have never visited my fine state. 

And that's cool, I guess.  Seen too many die prematurely & violently during my life, that I now say (with conviction): live and let live within the constitutional rights granted to individuals.

During the holidays here's an idea, push away from the politics, I say.  Rot your brain faster than any chemical vice.

Maybe even go get out on the water ("fucking condo catamarans" make for a fine long weekend offshore).  Or get/rent a boat of your liking - but go get out on the water.  Please.

My office is closed for the season, but that didn't stop us from having a board meeting on the dock at sunset.  Don't be silly: of course, rum was served.

Cheers & Merry Christmas Anarchists!

IMG_9225.JPG

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Proneshooter said:

How long ago was this? Sounds more like something that happened in 1960 not 2021.

From 2007 to 2018, Joseph Moore was an undercover informant for the FBI embedded in Florida chapters of the Ku Klux Klan, working to identify and expose law enforcement officials who moonlighted as Klansmen. After he testified against three state prison guards who had recruited him to murder a former inmate, Moore got a new name and moved with his family to a Florida subdivision, and he went public Wednesday in an interview with The Associated Press, he said, in part because he believes the Klan has tracked him down and wants to harm him, his wife, and their four kids.

7 hours ago, Ruminator said:

Had another epic day here in FLA.

Strange that there are 'rock throwers' around these parts who have never visited my fine state. 

I know you meant well but I suspect most contributors here have at least visited Fl. It's not Utah.

Tourism is a thing now.

What with the winter vacations, Everglades, cruise ships, Disney, the Keys, diving, world class beaches, golfing, fishing, sports and so on. Orlando is the third most visited city in the country. Then there's the sailing which everyone on site is a part of. Got 20 years in myself. 

Do you have any facts that say rock throwers haven't visited but just like to mention the weird happenings everyday?

Merry Christmas Homer but let's keep it real. 

22 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

I know you meant well but I suspect most contributors here have at least visited Fl. It's not Utah.

Tourism is a thing now.

What with the winter vacations, Everglades, cruise ships, Disney, the Keys, diving, world class beaches, golfing, fishing, sports and so on. Orlando is the third most visited city in the country. Then there's the sailing which everyone on site is a part of. Got 20 years in myself. 

Do you have any facts that say rock throwers haven't visited but just like to mention the weird happenings everyday?

Merry Christmas Homer but let's keep it real. 

Calling out rock throwers is a specialty here at SA, remember?  You don't need no stinkin' evidence, your opinion carries enough weight to make it legit....

I ain't never been to Florida and I will never go there.  

I've seen and done some weird, wild and crazy shit in my life, in the US and all over the world. 

But fuck man, even I have my limits!

Besides, there are just too damn many old people there.  Fuck that shit.

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

Pythons. DeSantis. Trump. Rick Scott. Little Marco. Gaetz. Big Sugar. Hurricanes. Algae blooms. UF football. Jaguars. Fish that swim up your dick. 

We're going to need some bigger rocks.

It has potential though.  Had a great sail yesterday, December 23.  15knts, temps in the high 60's and not a cloud in the sky.  And nothing on the boat broke!

19 minutes ago, bridhb said:

It has potential though.  Had a great sail yesterday, December 23.  15knts, temps in the high 60's and not a cloud in the sky.  And nothing on the boat broke!

Oh yeah, hell yeah. I always planned on my golden years in the Shark River area. Pythons ruined that. 

Ruminator's from NJ, I heard. The rest of them moved to NC.

11 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Oh yeah, hell yeah. I always planned on my golden years in the Shark River area. Pythons ruined that. 

Ruminator's from NJ, I heard. The rest of them moved to NC.

I'd rather deal with a Burmese python than a gator.  Gators are far more dangerous and more active.

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

My personal nightmare is a python snaking aboard while asleep. Gators? Not so much.

Tough choice.

I'm pretty sure I would have already suffocated before the python pressure started cracking my ribs.  On the other hand, I would probably hear my bones snapping as the gator crunched them up.

We don't have either here in Poland except maybe in a zoo, and I'm OK with that. 

And the cold weather here lasts a far shorter time than the oppressive heat, humidity, and bugs in Florida.

Suspect in South Florida beats officer while being booked

MIAMI (AP) — A suspect in South Florida beat a police officer violently while getting fingerprinted in a holding cell.

Surveillance video released by the Miami-Dade Police shows the prisoner refusing to follow orders while getting booked Tuesday night in a holding cell at police headquarters. A fight between the officer and prisoner started and the suspect then started punching the officer repeatedly, the video released Wednesday shows.

After several seconds, a forensics worker entered the holding cell and pulled the suspect off the officer. The suspect started struggling violently while being moved from the holding cell and he was wrestled to the ground by the forensics worker and three other officers.

The attack on the officer took place just days after another Miami-Dade police officer was attacked by a passenger during a brawl at Miami International Airport.

South Florida woman charged with multiple underwear thefts

MIAMI (AP) — A South Florida woman has been arrested and charged with a series of thefts of underwear from Victoria’s Secret stores.

The 56-year-old woman was arrested Wednesday and charged with nine counts of grand theft, three counts of retail theft and a count of resisting an officer without violence, according to Miami-Dade County court records.

Online records showed she remained in jail on Friday.

According to Channel 6 in South Florida, the woman is accused of stealing anywhere from $900 to $3,000 worth of merchandise on more than a dozen occasions at the stores. The thefts took place between March 2020 and this November.

20 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Tough choice.

I'm pretty sure I would have already suffocated before the python pressure started cracking my ribs.  On the other hand, I would probably hear my bones snapping as the gator crunched them up.

We don't have either here in Poland except maybe in a zoo, and I'm OK with that. 

And the cold weather here lasts a far shorter time than the oppressive heat, humidity, and bugs in Florida.

He's got a valid point there.....

• Like 1
On 12/24/2021 at 10:24 AM, slap said:

I'd rather deal with a Burmese python than a gator.  Gators are far more dangerous and more active.

I spend a fair bit of time in the Shark River area and have never seen a python and rarely see gators. But maybe I should not say that, bc the other thing I rarely see is other people 

E4A06748-B615-4449-BA1F-EBD21449D9E3.jpeg

• Like 1

Yeah, the gator side doesn't bother me. The pythons are another matter. I'm glad to hear they're not swimming in schools yet (and they swim faster than they move on land) but they're there. What else ya can't see is the 90% of mammals that are gone for good. They're doubtless harvesting birds now, and my guess is they are working on the fish pop as well. 

The skeeters have kept visitors away from the area in the past. Pythons will probably get them too.

I think one of the EC racers spotted one not so long ago. 

2 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

The skeeters have kept visitors away from the area in the past. Pythons will probably get them too.

As nice a dream as it might be, I don't think there are enough predators of any type in the world to rid Florida of mosquitos!  

The most dangerous snakes in Florida are venomous snakes.

https://owlcation.com/stem/6-Most-Dangerous-Snakes-in-Florida

"Human fatalities from non-venomous snakes are very rare, probably averaging one or two per year worldwide. All known constrictor-snake fatalities in the United States are from captive snakes; these are split between deaths of snake owners who were purposefully interacting with their pet and deaths of small children or infants in homes where a snake was kept captive as a pet. There have been no human deaths from wild-living Burmese pythons in Florida. Overall, the risk of attack is very low."

https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/are-large-constrictor-snakes-such-burmese-pythons-able-kill-people-what-risk-would-be-wild-or

• Like 1

I have friends who spend considerable time in Shark River doing research. They work on Bull Sharks and Alligators. Plenty of them there. The gator work is usually done at night or the early morning. One of them spotted a python a couple of weeks ago, first time he's seen one. Other people I know who do field work deep in the everglades via airboat see pythons frequently. 

As for mosquitoes, they are the state bird. 

Yeah, the pythons are not a threat to humans who don't own them. I get lots of coral snakes here. Extremely deadly and also not much of a threat because they're so shy, non-aggressive, and have tiny teeth. I don't grab them by hand but do catch and relocate them, sometimes because one of my pets is playing with them. None have been bitten.

Water moccasins are another matter. They're very aggressive and will come right at you from hiding. Yesterday, I was screwing around with a pallet left down by the boat ramp by neighbor boys. Weird type with an ordinary wood deck but the rest was some kind of foam. I was dragging it around, tossing it around, turning it over and ... oops... look who has made a home in the foam! Lucky it was cold enough that it didn't feel like coming out and biting me.

Not so sure we've seen the impact yet. They've been for breeding in the glades for 30 years mostly unmolested, eating everything they've seen ...  90+% of regional wild mammals are gone, finito, down to the water's edge. Pythons either switch to fish which will likely be obvious and or start heading north. 

Researchers say it is difficult to determine whether python sightings north of the Florida Everglades are a result of migration or pet releases.

Mind, these are wily camo artists. There is no reason to think we've seen a high % of specimens. Worse, some Burmese have mated with Indian variants producing a hybrid that prefers higher ground.  

2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Yeah, the gator side doesn't bother me.

When we took the boat across the Okeechobee Waterway, there were places where there must have been a hundred alligators swimming about.  As the boat approached them, we'd see the ripple across the water then a more vigorous wake as they swam to avoid us.  Jump in that water and it will be your last swim.

11 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:
2 hours ago, slap said:

The most dangerous snakes in Florida are venomous snakes.

Not any longer.

The most dangerous snakes in Florida live in the Governor's mansion.

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Not so sure we've seen the impact yet. They've been for breeding in the glades for 30 years mostly unmolested, eating everything they've seen ...  90+% of regional wild mammals are gone, finito, down to the water's edge. Pythons either switch to fish which will likely be obvious and or start heading north. 

Researchers say it is difficult to determine whether python sightings north of the Florida Everglades are a result of migration or pet releases.

Mind, these are wily camo artists. There is no reason to think we've seen a high % of specimens. Worse, some Burmese have mated with Indian variants producing a hybrid that prefers higher ground.  

I call bullshit on the northern sightings.   Burms don't handle cooler temperatures very well - they are very susceptible to respiratory infections.  They wouldn't last a winter outside in northern Florida.

2 hours ago, Lochnerian Tom said:

Yeah, the pythons are not a threat to humans who don't own them. I get lots of coral snakes here. Extremely deadly and also not much of a threat because they're so shy, non-aggressive, and have tiny teeth. I don't grab them by hand but do catch and relocate them, sometimes because one of my pets is playing with them. None have been bitten.

Water moccasins are another matter. They're very aggressive and will come right at you from hiding. Yesterday, I was screwing around with a pallet left down by the boat ramp by neighbor boys. Weird type with an ordinary wood deck but the rest was some kind of foam. I was dragging it around, tossing it around, turning it over and ... oops... look who has made a home in the foam! Lucky it was cold enough that it didn't feel like coming out and biting me.

So do you grab the coral snakes by their penis then???

I got chased right out of one of my favorite trout streams by a water moccasin some years ago.  

I used to see a lot of water snakes there and I really didn't mind them, they usually avoided me.  One day I was hip deep in the creek and I saw a snake about 4-5' long coming downstream toward me with about 18" of his upper body out of the water, I had never seen a snake swim that way.  He saw me and made a beeline for me.  When the snake got closer and I recognized the pattern on the brownish colored body, I did a near vertical jump out of the water and on to the bank and ran away as fast as I could!  

1 hour ago, slap said:

I call bullshit on the northern sightings.   Burms don't handle cooler temperatures very well - they are very susceptible to respiratory infections.  They wouldn't last a winter outside in northern Florida.

How far can a snake travel in a year? They might all be summer sightings of ones that died in the frost the following winter. North Florida has hard freezes often enough to kill 'em off, I agree.

38 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

So do you grab the coral snakes by their penis then???

I got chased right out of one of my favorite trout streams by a water moccasin some years ago.  

I used to see a lot of water snakes there and I really didn't mind them, they usually avoided me.  One day I was hip deep in the creek and I saw a snake about 4-5' long coming downstream toward me with about 18" of his upper body out of the water, I had never seen a snake swim that way.  He saw me and made a beeline for me.  When the snake got closer and I recognized the pattern on the brownish colored body, I did a near vertical jump out of the water and on to the bank and ran away as fast as I could!  

IMHO the aggressiveness of water moccasins is overstated. I've seen a couple dozen over the years, about 50/50 whether they run away or try to ignore me. Of the ones that don't scuttle away on first sight, about half of them slither off in disgust when I make exaggerated stomping and whistling and other "I'm too big for you to eat" gestures. OTOH the ones that turn on you, pissed off and eager to see if you taste as bad as you smell, are not easily discouraged by things like shovels and rakes (and implements of destruction). Of the ones that really really needed it, I've never met one that wasn't killed by .22 snakeshot.

This is distinctly untrue of alligators. Don't waste your time trying to shoot an alligator with any kind of .22 round

- DSK

47 minutes ago, slap said:

Chances are good that those are pet releases. 

I'm thinking the pythons can possibly live with the same conditions as gators and we have bunches of those here in coastal NC almost to the VA border. 

The venomous snakes have found their niches. Burms have not yet. 

1 hour ago, slap said:

Well, here in Jax, we finally had our first frost of the year last week, so it is getting warmer and if they stayed in a spring, the water stays in the mid 70's year round.  Tortoise burrows might provide a warm place to hang out also.  Wonder if they eat tortoise?

15 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

OTOH the ones that turn on you, pissed off and eager to see if you taste as bad as you smell, are not easily discouraged by things like shovels and rakes (and implements of destruction). Of the ones that really really needed it, I've never met one that wasn't killed by .22 snakeshot.

I wasn't going to piss this one off more than he already appeared to be, especially since I had limited means to maneuver in the creek.  But I sure yelled a lot of bad words at him!  I have never seen such a confident looking snake in my life, and I saw a number of rattlesnakes when I lived in Texas.  They just slithered away when I approached them.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

How far can a snake travel in a year? They might all be summer sightings of ones that died in the frost the following winter. North Florida has hard freezes often enough to kill 'em off, I agree.

The majority of snakes only move a few miles over their lifetimes.  They may move further due to things like habitat destruction.  There are cases where snakes can move much further but that often involves water.

51 minutes ago, slap said:

The majority of snakes only move a few miles over their lifetimes.  They may move further due to things like habitat destruction.  There are cases where snakes can move much further but that often involves water.

I suspect that's true given adequate food. Other snakes are hatched into their niches. Hard to imagine a better place to establish an accidental breeding group than a warm wet remote national park chock full of native animals and very few people. 

Lotsa houses to winter under north of the frost line. 

E4A06748-B615-4449-BA1F-EBD21449D9E3.jpeg

Funny, I enlarged this photo and spotted two Burms off to SB at the shoreline. And I'd almost bet a beer I can see a small, maybe six footer about 8' up in the mangroves on portside too. These guys are nocturnal but if food is scarce, anything goes. :huh:

17 hours ago, Jules said:

When we took the boat across the Okeechobee Waterway, there were places where there must have been a hundred alligators swimming about.  As the boat approached them, we'd see the ripple across the water then a more vigorous wake as they swam to avoid us.  Jump in that water and it will be your last swim.

I swim, kayak, and occasionally water ski in an alligator-infested creek. A gator that runs from a boat is a good gator and will also run from a swimmer or kayaker. A gator that does NOT run needs to be shot. That happens when idiots feed them, or when a particularly clever gator realizes that fishermen are unintentionally feeding him. I've seen one such gator, twice. Scared heck out of me both times. I heard that same gator was getting fish from fishermen up at the dam, a very high risk gator feeding strategy. I didn't see that one again.

16 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

One day I was hip deep in the creek and I saw a snake about 4-5' long coming downstream toward me with about 18" of his upper body out of the water, I had never seen a snake swim that way.  He saw me and made a beeline for me.  When the snake got closer and I recognized the pattern on the brownish colored body, I did a near vertical jump out of the water and on to the bank and ran away as fast as I could!  

I had a similar experience and now always expect that reaction from them.

15 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

IMHO the aggressiveness of water moccasins is overstated. I've seen a couple dozen over the years, about 50/50 whether they run away or try to ignore me. Of the ones that don't scuttle away on first sight, about half of them slither off

I've had that experience too. For some reason, the other experience made more of an impression.

15 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Don't waste your time trying to shoot an alligator with any kind of .22 round

I had a large one get into my pond some years beyond the statute of limitations ago. It's a small pond with clear water, but I couldn't find it. That evening, I saw it coming down the pond toward me. I got the gun (a single shot .22, not the battlefield variety) and got up on the little hill. It swam right under me, maybe 12' away. I shot right into its tiny little gator brain and it died almost immediately. We made delicious gator gumbo. I let fire ants clean the skull and gave it to a friend.

That particular gator measured about 6' but was missing at least a foot of its tail. It was badly emaciated and apparently got into my pond to get away from intact gators in the creek and look for an easy meal. Wrong house.

For the pics or crowd..

measurement.jpg

18 hours ago, Lochnerian Tom said:

Don't forget the rattlers that are here.  A buddy was pulling weeds at his mom's house off Harbor in PC and got bit by a Pygmy Rattler.  Luckily, the Venom Man was still alive and living in Fat Point.

When I worked for PiGI, Inc, one of the locals shot 5' a Diamond Back.  He took it home and his wife fried it up.  

Tasted like chicken.

Another guy came back from fishin' and had some bait left over.  A gator came swimming by.  So, he grabbed a big bait and tossed it out.  Gator can't pass up a free lunch and game on.  He soon tired of the fight and palmed the spool to break it off.  Then the equal and opposite reaction happened and the 2 oz egg sinker came back and hit him in the balls,

3 minutes ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Don't forget the rattlers that are here. 

I've seen both sizes out here, including one about 6' long. Unlike moccasins and coral snakes, I haven't had to relocate one and I've never had one chase me. They like gopher tortoise holes so can find a home every 12' or so out here.

32 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:
3 hours ago, Lochnerian Tom said:

I had a large one get into my pond some years beyond the statute of limitations ago.

Yeah, I was supposed to call a trapper with a license, and a friend's dad actually had that license. What I did instead was very illegal at the time. It's less so now, but still illegal.

I would have called him and paid him, but for two problems:

1. We couldn't find this critter. A couple of us tried several times during that day. I didn't want him to drive up from Fort FatGrifter and fail to find it.

2. They relocate gators. That one was starving and needed to die, not be relocated.