Don't MoveTo Florida

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Of course there is. Evolutionary time is vast compared to the span since ‘civilization’ began, and even then… Let’s face it, aggression is a beneficial trait, then and today. Now it’s just called ‘amb

Sometimes the local Letters To The Editor can be more amusing than sad: "So I'm driving down Midway and look to the left and there in a church parking lot is a pickup truck with a Confederate fla

In our more rural areas there are a lot of freely accessible groves, most of them with old trees and fruits. These have been outshadowed by modern "industrial" species and those are usually heavily sp

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

juste turnem offe.                          :)

Snags, you have no idea of the heresy you just promulgated below the Mason-Dixon. 

You can have my air conditioning when you pry my cold dead fingers from the thermostat.   

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Snags, you have no idea of the heresy you just promulgated below the Mason-Dixon. 

22 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:
50 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

juste turnem offe.                          :)

Currentley enjoing tempret faiwaye sented breezes of HH, ist nice..............                           :)

21 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

I dunno know why so many people want to live in a place that many never go outside to enjoy. 

Actually, that's a very good question which deserves a thoughtful response.  

In the main, Floridians are very active outside. However, timing is everything. Only mad dogs and Florida Man goes out in the noon-day sun. Most of our outdoor pursuits are done early in the morn or very late in the afternoon, especially during the 9 months of summer. However, our three weeks of winter are glorious. 

We do insist on our air conditioned oasis's.

Don't tell anyone... But, we've got it MUCH better than those poor slobs in Georgia, 'Bama, Louisiana, Missip, etc.  The Trade Winds keep us temperate, while those other basters are stewing in 115 F temps and 99% humidity.  Been here 5 yrs now, and I've never seen a day over 98 F here on the Spaced Coast.  

13 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

CF gose oute, even owened up to gonig oute nekid on nice dayes.............                               :)

C'mon, you know I stopped that after my chrome white hinny temporarily blinded a student pilot practicing over my area.   

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:
22 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

CF gose oute, even owened up to gonig oute nekid on nice dayes.............                               :)

C'mon, you know I stopped that after my chrome white hinny temporarily blinded a student pilot practicing over my area.   

I reade in E-R Avion thet they werre gonig to aske you to sease and desiste.  I didde notte no you adgreede.      :)

58 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

I dunno know why so many people want to live in a place that many never go outside to enjoy. 

We do, but timing is everything.

38 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Actually, that's a very good question which deserves a thoughtful response.  

In the main, Floridians are very active outside. However, timing is everything. Only mad dogs and Florida Man goes out in the noon-day sun. Most of our outdoor pursuits are done early in the morn or very late in the afternoon, especially during the 9 months of summer. However, our three weeks of winter are glorious. 

We do insist on our air conditioned oasis's.

Don't tell anyone... But, we've got it MUCH better than those poor slobs in Georgia, 'Bama, Louisiana, Missip, etc.  The Trade Winds keep us temperate, while those other basters are stewing in 115 F temps and 99% humidity.  Been here 5 yrs now, and I've never seen a day over 98 F here on the Spaced Coast.  

Fishing days in summer are over by about 2pm before the T-storms roll in.  Sand bar days are fun as well but thats due to the water cooling us off.  Other than that its the same for us.  By mid day we are back in the house until afternoon when it cools off a bit.  At dusk the bugs come out in force and we are back inside then as well.

2 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

That seems to be happening all over europe.  My sister in northern Germany finally got snow right before xmas.  Before that it was just cold and wet.

Cold and wet is pretty much what we've had this year with a couple of inches of snow.

7 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Cold and wet is pretty much what we've had this year with a couple of inches of snow.

We have had it all. In the last six months we have had raging forest fires destroying towns, major rains washing out roads and killing crops and livestock, and now an extended cold snap with lots of snow. I can hardly wait to see what the next few months brings, besides plagues and pestilence.

13 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

I have to agree that; I don't understand why??  SE CT and SE New England in general,  is very pleasant, and lots of good sailing, biking, hiking, boating weather from April until November.  OTOH we do Spring Frostbite races starting in March, and Fall series ending first Sunday of December.  After that it is often cold, snowy and generally unpleasant, as far as I am concerned, and we like to visit our kids in Charleston, SC during those 4 colder months.  Yes we have to use the AC in July, August and later, but not all day and night, just occasionally to take the temp and humidity down a few notches. 

It's God's Country to us, and we love it here.......

So, please don't move here, we don't need any more New York or New Jersey transplants, and did I mention that the crime is terrible here!!!  :o:D:ph34r:

10 hours ago, Ishmael said:

We have had it all. In the last six months we have had raging forest fires destroying towns, major rains washing out roads and killing crops and livestock, and now an extended cold snap with lots of snow. I can hardly wait to see what the next few months brings, besides plagues and pestilence.

Be careful what you wish for! 

Hang in there and be careful. 

I saw a vee formation of about 100 geese flying south this morning.  That usually happens in October!

9 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I have to agree that; I don't understand why??  SE CT and SE New England in general,  is very pleasant, and lots of good sailing, biking, hiking, boating weather from April until November.  OTOH we do Spring Frostbite races starting in March, and Fall series ending first Sunday of December.  After that it is often cold, snowy and generally unpleasant, as far as I am concerned, and we like to visit our kids in Charleston, SC during those 4 colder months.  Yes we have to use the AC in July, August and later, but not all day and night, just occasionally to take the temp and humidity down a few notches. 

It's God's Country to us, and we love it here.......

So, please don't move here, we don't need any more New York or New Jersey transplants, and did I mention that the crime is terrible here!!!  :o:D:ph34r:

Don't worry, we can't afford New England :lol:

It is beautiful up there, and I would live there.....but have you seen house prices lately??:o

36 minutes ago, Jkdubz808 said:

Don't worry, we can't afford New England :lol:

It is beautiful up there, and I would live there.....but have you seen house prices lately??:o

I was a Real Estate Broker for 28 years, but the recession of 07-08 ended that, and I gave up my license in 2010.  We just bought a 1,400 SF Ranch with full walkout basement, CT River views, and a 700 SF garage loft apartment.  Paid $430k in February 2019.  My former Real Estate partner is still in the business and represented us in the purchase.  A year and a half later she said we could get 100-150K more than we paid!!!  That would be great, but where would we go?  We could never replace this without spending all of that profit, so why bother??   The Loft apartment has been renting for $1,250/month which covers taxes at 11,000/year, and some utilities.  We're making it an Air Bnb soon, but available for our children to use when they are visiting from S. Carolina where they both live.  First Grandchild is expected in March so daughter and granddaughter will spend the month of June here in the apartment..  Life is good!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Ed Lada said:
21 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Be careful what you wish for! 

Hang in there and be careful. 

I saw a vee formation of about 100 geese flying south this morning.  That usually happens in October!

So ... last night we had a water pipe burst in our living room wall and it took us quite a while to get the water shut off because there is so much snow over the shutoff valve down by the road, it was dark and snowing heavily. We did get a plumber around 10 PM to cut and cap the pipe and we stayed up until 2 AM sucking up water with a shop vac and moving furniture. All this complicated by the fact that I have a broken leg and my wife can hardly walk because she is waiting to have a total knee replacement in two months.

I'm hoping this is the finale to a really shitty year and not a preview of things going worse in 2022.

Ish, your leg isn't healed yet?

That's going on 6 months isn't it?

As to the pipe - I woke up on New Years day years ago, went downstairs to the basement to investigate the sound of running water and was ankle deep. - the hot water tank let go during the night.

I had a shutoff in the house after the pressure regulator so didn't need a key for the street shutoff.

And the floor was ceramic tile so just took a lot of pumping & mopping.

Shitty way to start the New Year though.

8 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Ish, your leg isn't healed yet?

That's going on 6 months isn't it?

As to the pipe - I woke up on New Years day years ago, went downstairs to the basement to investigate the sound of running water and was ankle deep. - the hot water tank let go during the night.

I had a shutoff in the house after the pressure regulator so didn't need a key for the street shutoff.

And the floor was ceramic tile so just took a lot of pumping & mopping.

Shitty way to start the New Year though.

No, after 3 months I developed severe infection at the break site and the docs had to go in, clean it out, remove and replace all the hardware, and feed me gallons of IV antibiotics during the week I spent in hospital. After that I was on the home IV program with a picc in my arm, three infusions a day for six weeks. I finished that series a week ago and now it's just a matter of seeing if the leg really is healing this time. It feels better, but that's no indication. It felt better just before I had to hit the emergency department in November.

32 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

- the hot water tank let go during the night.

This happened to me on the boat one night. I surveilled the smoke, heading for an extinguisher when I realized it was steam.

Mo betta than smoke brah.

On 12/29/2021 at 9:14 AM, Blue Crab said:

Everything is more enjoyable when drunk.  And to quote my 80 year old neighbor, "Everybody in Florida drinks!  That's what you do when you move here!"

2 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

It's going around..... 

Today after checking on the boat I came home to this. 

20211230_125456.jpg

We are seriously thinking of going to hardwood instead of carpet, but I'm not sure if flooding is any easier with hardwood. Does the water get into the underlay?

11 hours ago, billy backstay said:

which covers taxes at 11,000/year,

JFC! Do you guys get french maid service and gold plated trash trucks for that? What services do you possibly get that warrant those taxes?

I lived in SECONN while in the Navy and liked it so much the memory of it caused us to relocate East from CA in 2000, but I guess that's why so many of our neighbors are escaping CT, NY & NJ.

We have  a very modest  1920 SF, 3 BR, 2 1/2 Ba, 2 car attached w/ walkout basement on 6 acres Zillow says approx. $550K and we pay coming up on $3K taxes. Granted we have to pay to have our gravel road plowed and haul our own trash, no streetlights nor sidewalks but we have 1 1/2 cops and several free boat launch ramps, and I'm feeling abused by the tax man.

I had no idea it was that expensive down there.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

We are seriously thinking of going to hardwood instead of carpet, but I'm not sure if flooding is any easier with hardwood. Does the water get into the underlay?

I'm sure some got underneath at the wall (the pipe is in the neighbors), but vacuuming it up, it was staying on top and not running through the joint.  Going by what's in the carpeted hallway and lobby, I'd say we won in the damage department. 

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

It warps the wood.

If you want to "waterproof" the floors, ceramic tile is the best I've seen.

6 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

It warps the wood.

If you want to "waterproof" the floors, ceramic tile is the best I've seen.

That's what we put down in the kitchen and entryway. I figured there would be some downside to wood, we briefly considered it for the kitchen but decided it was just too risky with water all over. We have since spilled about 4 oz total in the kitchen and about 18 gallons in the living room.

12 hours ago, Willin' said:

JFC! Do you guys get french maid service and gold plated trash trucks for that? What services do you possibly get that warrant those taxes?

We have  a very modest  1920 SF, 3 BR, 2 1/2 Ba, 2 car attached w/ walkout basement on 6 acres Zillow says approx. $550K and we pay coming up on $3K taxes. Granted we have to pay to have our gravel road plowed and haul our own trash, no streetlights nor sidewalks but we have 1 1/2 cops and several free boat launch ramps, and I'm feeling abused by the tax man.

We have about the same house, only on a 9000sf lot, which Zillow says is now worth 3/4 of a million bucks (If we ever find that sucker buyer) and we pay about twice that.  Of course our trash trucks are gold plated.  With 19,000 yuppies (out of 20,000 ) it costs a lot to keep up appearances.  The village has changed a lot in the last 20 years since we bought this dump place and the taxes were 1/3 of what they are now.  This is making your fair state look better and better.  We'll join the Header exodus and live with a longer winter and more mosquitos.  And blackfies.  Mustn't forget the blackflies.

7 minutes ago, Nettles said:

Mustn't forget the blackflies.

It's a myth we spread to keep the less dedicated at bay.

In all honesty, I don't think I could ID a blackfly. I've certainly never been bitten by one and we've been here 21 years now. Of course I rarely go inland of Rt 1 in the summer. Could be they're sequestered there.

Now greenheads, and last summer, stable flies... those are a whole nuther story.

14 hours ago, Willin' said:

I lived in SECONN while in the Navy and liked it so much the memory of it caused us to relocate East from CA in 2000, but I guess that's why so many of our neighbors are escaping CT, NY & NJ.

Willin, I hate to break this to you, but 2000 Sq feet on 6 acres is hardly modest. 

I've got 1400 on 1.75.  That's considered median around here at 250k.

3 hours ago, Grrr... said:

Willin, I hate to break this to you, but 2000 Sq feet on 6 acres is hardly modest. 

I've got 1400 on 1.75.  That's considered median around here at 250k.

We have 1400 on 1/4 acre. We're below median around here at 900K. Taxes are under $3000.

23 hours ago, Ishmael said:

So ... last night we had a water pipe burst in our living room wall and it took us quite a while to get the water shut off because there is so much snow over the shutoff valve down by the road, it was dark and snowing heavily. We did get a plumber around 10 PM to cut and cap the pipe and we stayed up until 2 AM sucking up water with a shop vac and moving furniture. All this complicated by the fact that I have a broken leg and my wife can hardly walk because she is waiting to have a total knee replacement in two months.

I'm hoping this is the finale to a really shitty year and not a preview of things going worse in 2022.

Last winter we had a pipe freeze in the living room ceiling of a house we had sold but we waiting to close. We were out of town and ending up with 30,000 gallons of water in the living room (according to my water bill) before our realtor stopped by one last time before closing and found the mess. Two months of repair time and the house sold again so we're all good now.

I always turn the water off if we're going to leave for any length of time, but since there were appraisals and inspections happening I didn't this time.

18 hours ago, Ishmael said:

That's what we put down in the kitchen and entryway. I figured there would be some downside to wood, we briefly considered it for the kitchen but decided it was just too risky with water all over. We have since spilled about 4 oz total in the kitchen and about 18 gallons in the living room.

You need a lot of water to totally fuck  wood flooring.  As far as I know the underlay is not the same as what I've seen for carpet.  Engineered wood flooring (thin solid on a plywood substrate) is extremely stable, and comes prefinished - no standing.  

Look into cork, some of it is really nice.  If you drop a glass there's a good chance it'll survive too.

Hey Jack, is Ace open today?

The spring bolts on my cart are too long. Rooted through my collection and found I actually have the ones I need! But one is bent. So I guess I'll keep saving that one until I need a large, bent bolt.

2 minutes ago, Lochnerian Tom said:

Hey Jack, is Ace open today?

The spring bolts on my cart are too long. Rooted through my collection and found I actually have the ones I need! But one is bent. So I guess I'll keep saving that one until I need a large, bent bolt.

yes

15 hours ago, Jules said:

It's Jan 1 and we have the AC on.  First time in 7 winters here.

You might notice a pattern where the wind blows warm and wet from the S the day before a cold front. Great sailing if you like warm and wet, as I do.

The high tomorrow will be 69. N wind. So more of a yard work day.

15 hours ago, Jules said:

It's Jan 1 and we have the AC on.  First time in 7 winters here.

been down 15 yrs also first time A/c on in Jan.  My outside thermometer was reading 90 in the shade 

Just back from walking the dog.  Temp is 11 F windchill -6F.  Normal for this time of year.   Forecast low tonight -4 F and -15 F windchill.  

Will likely be skiing this afternoon.  

14 hours ago, Bugsy said:

Just back from walking the dog.  Temp is 11 F windchill -6F.  Normal for this time of year.   Forecast low tonight -4 F and -15 F windchill.  

Will likely be skiing this afternoon.  

It's finally above freezing here, melting quickly. We found one casualty of the cold, a dead hummingbird above our front door, hanging in the warmest spot we have in our front entry. Poor little guy looked like the other hummers had been at him, back feathers were missing in places. Vicious little things, super territorial.

Did I say don't move to Florida?  Forget that, man!  It's gorgeous here!

Yeah, we finally have some decent weather.

And only 6 months to hurricane season!

• Like 1

It snowed in Florida this morning!

https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/snow-in-florida-video-appears-to-show-rare-flurries-in-the-panhandle/

7" of snow in Huntsville, North Alabama too!

The temps were around 78 degrees most of the day yesterday here on the Ala-Fla line but dropped to 35 degrees during the night! 

This was what my Mom woke up to north of Lake Lanier in Georgia!

U6C2WEPRUNBUHEWPDXWRNSIU24.jpg

10 hours ago, dolphinmaster said:

Great Historical Fiction, story begins in mid 1800's Florida  

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/362002.A_Land_Remembered

An old drunk who would not leave us alone recommended that book to my wife some years ago. I just wanted him to shut up and go away, but she always listens to any book recommendation because she seems to have already read most books in the world.

It's the best "old Florida" book, bar none.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Lochnerian Tom said:

I'll have to check that out.

Nobody can top Carl Hiaasen for books about 'New Florida'.

27 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Nobody can top Carl Hiaasen for books about 'New Florida'.

He is very good. I read his Miami Herald columns as a boy. For Carl in a fun house mirror, you want Dave Barry.

1 hour ago, Lochnerian Tom said:

An old drunk who would not leave us alone recommended that book to my wife some years ago. I just wanted him to shut up and go away, but she always listens to any book recommendation because she seems to have already read most books in the world.

Wampus?

One year in mid-eighties Miami, the Herald had a "write like Dave Barry" contest. All finalist were good, of course, but the winner was a one word effort: "Booger." 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Jules said:

Did I say don't move to Florida?  Forget that, man!  It's gorgeous here!

Yeah, we finally have some decent weather.

And only 6 months to hurricane season!

Would you stop giving away one of the few reasons we have as to why it doesn't suck to live here?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

for all y'all posting your property taxes,  how much are the state income taxes?   Tx no income tax but our property taxes and sales taxes are high...   it's all relative..

And due to fucked up laws allowing neighborhoods to establish their own school districts, funded by their property taxes, schools in low income neighborhoods suck, while a district across the street can have excellent schools.  Go Texas!

18 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

how's the balmy weather now ?

Sunday night it was in the 60s and I was hot walking the dogs and had to take my light jacket off. I had put my still-blooming tropical plants inside, we had seen a chance of flurries and maybe below freezing temps for Monday.

Then the forecast changed a tiny bit - as in almost a foot of snow! :o

The next week looks like our typical shit winter weather, warm enough to melt everything all day and below freezing again at night :angry:

7 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

And due to fucked up laws allowing neighborhoods to establish their own school districts, funded by their property taxes, schools in low income neighborhoods suck, while a district across the street can have excellent schools.  Go Texas!

Not to be Donald/Debbie Downer but I don't think we should really worry much about social problems. It can all become moot this fall. If there is a blue wave, they may be a war, however defined, to get thru.

Then policies might matter again. 

32 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Sunday night it was in the 60s and I was hot walking the dogs and had to take my light jacket off. I had put my still-blooming tropical plants inside, we had seen a chance of flurries and maybe below freezing temps for Monday.

Then the forecast changed a tiny bit - as in almost a foot of snow! :o

The next week looks like our typical shit winter weather, warm enough to melt everything all day and below freezing again at night :angry:

Looks like not so much fun on I-95 around Fredericksburg

59 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I didn't have to go off-island thankfully :)

image.png.ae79be17949e4c95c8035591c82eff54.png

That's what 3-10 inches of snow will do to people who have little experience with snow.

It ain't exactly snowmageddon, it's a lack of experience and a lack of snow removal equipment.

There's a difference.

2 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

for all y'all posting your property taxes,  how much are the state income taxes?  

As a Canadian, I think I score the trifecta of high property taxes, high provincial taxes and high federal taxes.  Plus high sales taxes. 

But our healthcare is 'free'.  

(On a more serious note, I think that there have been a number of studies showing that the overall cost of living in Canada is higher than in the US but not *that* much higher, when all things are considered.)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

not quite,  Texas has the Robinhood law,  money from rich districts is redirected to poorer districts to fund those schools...   

we've had, in DISD, several non-corrupt, school superintendents, who tried to make the southern schools better by promoting teachers who actually had skills and getting rid of dead weight...   in all instances , there was push back from the communities , the "power brokers" who fought every single reform to the detriment of the students...

the corruption and greed in the southern sectors of the city is what that keeps the poor people poor....

Just now, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

not quite,  Texas has the Robinhood law,  money from rich districts is redirected to poorer districts to fund those schools...   

we've had, in DISD, several non-corrupt, school superintendents, who tried to make the southern schools better by promoting teachers who actually had skills and getting rid of dead weight...   in all instances , there was push back from the communities , the "power brokers" who fought every single reform to the detriment of the students...

the corruption and greed in the southern sectors of the city is what that keeps the poor people poor....

I was living in San Antonio when the Robinhood law was finally passed.  It still didn't bring the poor districts anywhere near to parity with the wealthy districts.

The law that allows ISDs in Texas was and is blatant discriminatory and has caused lasting damage to minorities in Texas, and will continue to do so, Robinhood not withstanding. 

In Dallas, white Hispanic residents barely outnumber non Hispanic white people, and the black population isn't far behind.  In San Antonio, white Hispanic people are a large majority, followed by non Hispanic white people and black people are a distant 3rd, so the racial demographics and dynamics are quite different.

Your last statement is so ludicrous I won't even discuss it.  You might as well say that the poor people are poor because their lazy.

9 hours ago, Bugsy said:

As a Canadian, I think I score the trifecta of high property taxes, high provincial taxes and high federal taxes.  Plus high sales taxes. 

But our healthcare is 'free'.  

(On a more serious note, I think that there have been a number of studies showing that the overall cost of living in Canada is higher than in the US but not *that* much higher, when all things are considered.)

Between Healthcare premiums and deductibles, I paid over 20k on Healthcare last year.  I'm already on pace to beat that this year.  Where do I sign up for your higher taxes? 

• Like 2

Private development to get federal roadway.  I'm sure they are paying for it. :rolleyes:

U.S. 41 to lose lane to Sunseeker driveways

CHARLOTTE HARBOR — Sunseeker construction crews will begin work on three driveways on Jan. 11 requiring the removal of the outer third lane on U.S. 41 southbound before the bridge over the Peace River.

Florida Department of Transportation advised the Charlotte County Municipal Planning Organization that it had issued a permit for the work on the highway known as the Tamiami Trail. A portable electric sign alerts drivers heading south to a change in traffic patterns starting Jan. 11.

“The project consists of three new driveways, and the biggest impact is the third lane of U.S. 41 In front of the project will be removed and the new drives constructed,” FDOT community liaison spokesperson Tanya Merkle said.

Neither FDOT nor Allegiant Travel Co., which owns Sunseeker, returned requests for information from The Daily Sun on how long the project would take and how much of the third lane would be closed.

9 hours ago, Grrr... said:

Between Healthcare premiums and deductibles, I paid over 20k on Healthcare last year.  I'm already on pace to beat that this year.  Where do I sign up for your higher taxes? 

Most of the free world countries have free health care, but we have 12 aircraft carriers, how many do we need to protect the FREE world. $715 billion for the Pentagon in fiscal year 2022 

• Ranking: military spending by country 2020 | Statista

which is 3x higher than China and 10x higher than Russia

Shit even Costa Rico has free medical but no Military. 

10 hours ago, Grrr... said:

yikes

On 12/28/2021 at 1:40 PM, jerseyguy said:

40 here and raining. Beats the hell out of the alternative 

It was in the teens yesterday, after a couple days of 50?   Supposed to be 50 again today, WOW!!

On 12/30/2021 at 6:53 PM, Willin' said:

2k .75 acre 3b 2.5...  3k tax.....  zillow = wow....  LOL, but like billy, where in the fuck would I go???  Have options in Chicago and Phoenix, but snowbirding is not my thing...  (no h20 in phoenix)...  

45 minutes ago, chester said:
11 hours ago, Grrr... said:

yikes

I've actually been hoping that if I move to Canada, they'll let me trade in my aircraft carrier for health care.

- DSK

1 hour ago, Not for nothing said:

Most of the free world countries have free health care, but we have 12 aircraft carriers, how many do we need to protect the FREE world. $715 billion for the Pentagon in fiscal year 2022 

• Ranking: military spending by country 2020 | Statista

which is 3x higher than China and 10x higher than Russia

Shit even Costa Rico has free medical but no Military. 

How much are the Chinese and Russian soldiers paid?  How much do things cost in countries with low labor rates?   As an example, China pays it's entry level soldiers 16 times less than the US military does.

China has increased its military spending by a factor of six over the last two decades.  And the actual amount China spends is estimated to be much more than the official numbers.

We have 12 carriers but normally for every one carrier deployed you have one undergoing refit and one in transit or undergoing replenishment.    So with 12 carriers you normally are able to have 4 deployed at all times.

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

It was in the teens yesterday, after a couple days of 50?   Supposed to be 50 again today, WOW!!

I plan on going sailing Friday and/or Saturday.  Temps predicted to be in low 70's.  Anyone want to come along?

50 minutes ago, bridhb said:

I plan on going sailing Friday and/or Saturday.  Temps predicted to be in low 70's.  Anyone want to come along?

Yup   :)   This is my forecast:  

image.png.79f6e6180dca2fc0243cc1638428b140.png

55 minutes ago, slap said:

How much are the Chinese and Russian soldiers paid?  How much do things cost in countries with low labor rates?   As an example, China pays it's entry level soldiers 16 times less than the US military does.

China has increased its military spending by a factor of six over the last two decades.  And the actual amount China spends is estimated to be much more than the official numbers.

We have 12 carriers but normally for every one carrier deployed you have one undergoing refit and one in transit or undergoing replenishment.    So with 12 carriers you normally are able to have 4 deployed at all times.

I got a little off subject, but my point is Education and health care we're way down the list not #1 For the richest country in the world, I fine that unacceptable, but in Military we're #1, Why do we have to be the world's police?

If you want to carry this on start another topic, returning to "don't move to Florida"

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

I've actually been hoping that if I move to Canada, they'll let me trade in my aircraft carrier for health care.

- DSK

For sale - one slightly used aircraft carrier.

image.jpeg.f3101fa439a98b8dcea1e3687b3d6a8b.jpeg

$101,000,000,000.

Never sunk, only involved in police actions.  Fresh paint.  Planes and Uranium not included in sale.  Sailors negotiable.  Two minor fender-benders with submarines.  Clean CarFax.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Jules said:

Private development to get federal roadway.  I'm sure they are paying for it. :rolleyes:

U.S. 41 to lose lane to Sunseeker driveways

CHARLOTTE HARBOR — Sunseeker construction crews will begin work on three driveways on Jan. 11 requiring the removal of the outer third lane on U.S. 41 southbound before the bridge over the Peace River.

Florida Department of Transportation advised the Charlotte County Municipal Planning Organization that it had issued a permit for the work on the highway known as the Tamiami Trail. A portable electric sign alerts drivers heading south to a change in traffic patterns starting Jan. 11.

“The project consists of three new driveways, and the biggest impact is the third lane of U.S. 41 In front of the project will be removed and the new drives constructed,” FDOT community liaison spokesperson Tanya Merkle said.

Neither FDOT nor Allegiant Travel Co., which owns Sunseeker, returned requests for information from The Daily Sun on how long the project would take and how much of the third lane would be closed.

Death Santis must have gotten a big contribution.

• Like 1