Don't MoveTo Florida

22 minutes ago, dfw_sailor said:

In general humans are a hell of a lot safer to deal with in Oz than the US, but the Oz flora and fauna really does want to kill, skin and eat you alive. :)     Hard choice. 

Man, I hate to be the Reality Bites guy, and I'm sure Jocal can come along and provide a bunch of numbers, and obviously OZ with few people and fewer guns will have fewer shootings but the US is just not as ridiculously dangerous as some of our preachers profess. 

Stay out of well-known urban danger spots, mind yer business,  don't drive aggressively, don't flip people off, buy an occupational license, make tacos, and maybe become a millionaire as so many have. It's available but not handed to you. 

That's why all but a few hard cases want to come here from everywhere else. 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Of course there is. Evolutionary time is vast compared to the span since ‘civilization’ began, and even then… Let’s face it, aggression is a beneficial trait, then and today. Now it’s just called ‘amb

In our more rural areas there are a lot of freely accessible groves, most of them with old trees and fruits. These have been outshadowed by modern "industrial" species and those are usually heavily sp

Sometimes the local Letters To The Editor can be more amusing than sad: "So I'm driving down Midway and look to the left and there in a church parking lot is a pickup truck with a Confederate fla

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, dfw_sailor said:

I still prefer rattlers around me than aussie tiger snakes, or Irukandji, or wait-a-while, or salty's, or cassowary. But oz doesn't have mountain lions, or black / brown / white bears.

They would just be wasted on a country where every living thing is a two-stepper.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Man, I hate to be the Reality Bites guy, and I'm sure Jocal can come along and provide a bunch of numbers, and obviously OZ with few people and fewer guns will have fewer shootings but the US is just not as ridiculously dangerous as some of our preachers profess. 

Stay out of well-known urban danger spots, mind yer business,  don't drive aggressively, don't flip people off, buy an occupational license, make tacos, and maybe become a millionaire as so many have. It's available but not handed to you. 

That's why all but a few hard cases want to come here from everywhere else. 

I get what you are saying, but reality where I am is closer to what i typed than you, my customers are all over texas, CA, AZ, WA, NM and so on. A lot of driving. A lot of contact with every type of person. And I have done a lot (ifor my own sanity i just wrote out a list of stupid / nde experiences over my 5+ decades in the 'what have i done' thread.

I dont have a problem with the flora and fauna at all here. Its the people, the absurd racing on freeways, the random shootings and the shooting of uninvolved people when just one person was targeted in the first place.. Come spend some time in Dallas. It's different and got a heck of a lot worse in the last 2 years (I have been in TX for 8 years now).

2 minutes ago, dfw_sailor said:

Come spend some time in Dallas. It's different and got a heck of a lot worse in the last 2 years (I have been in TX for 8 years now).

:lol:

It's the internet: "the other guy doesn't know Jack Shit and I do." 

• Like 1

Sure. Whatever. Even the born in Texas business partners and customers I deal with have just about had enough. Sure is a lot of talk of those getting closer to retirement age planning to get out of dodge. But you dont have to believe me. 

9 minutes ago, dfw_sailor said:
14 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Sure. Whatever. Even the born in Texas business partners and customers I deal with have just about had enough. Sure is a lot of talk of those getting closer to retirement age planning to get out of dodge. But you dont have to believe me. 

Is it bad enough for them to start voting Democrat?

Prolly not.

- DSK

Just now, Steam Flyer said:

Prolly not.

- DSK

no - they would rather move than vote for the Dems. I will say that most republicans I deal with (I would be independent) have conveniently chosen to hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil. When some of my frustrations come up in conversation, they simply cannot believe some of the shit is happening - because they choose to not want to know.

About the only people I know who are happy with things are the very very high up pols. All i can say is I dont choose to socialize with them unless I absolutely have to for business, and then it is very reserved.

10 minutes ago, dfw_sailor said:

But you dont have to believe me. 

Nope and you ol' boys don't have to live in the cities. I'm guessing you came for the opportunities that weren't available back home. Is this where I type QED? 

8 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Prolly not.

- DSK

Oh hell no! What and miss America's Got Talent reading the Washington Post? NFW and that doesn't stand for North Ft Worth. 

6 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Nope and you ol' boys don't have to live in the cities. I'm guessing you came for the opportunities that weren't available back home. Is this where I type QED? 

I've lived in the cities, and i have also spent years living in a West Texas town of less than 3k, where half the residents are related to the other half, and has a massive meth issue.

I came to the US on behalf of my wife, and yes for business. My clients are very happy that I did. Yes it is a better place for product development and manufacturing than Oz.

My US born wife misses Oz greatly. I'm not going to put words into her mouth about TX, or the US in general right now, and she is a rusted on GOP, fairy believer. i'll just say she is not real happy with the US atm.

24 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Oh hell no! What and miss America's Got Talent reading the Washington Post? NFW and that doesn't stand for North Ft Worth. 

Um, my esteemed crustacean, this is the 21st century.  I've had a digital subscription to the WaPo for years now, and I read it all of the time right here in Poland!  Yep, I sure do.  Doesn't cost much either.  And I get the failing New York Times as well.  

As far as America's Got Talent, I wouldn't watch it even if I did live in the US.  

17 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Um, my esteemed crustacean, this is the 21st century.  I've had a digital subscription to the WaPo for years now, and I read it all of the time right here in Poland!  Yep, I sure do.  Doesn't cost much either.  And I get the failing New York Times as well.  

As far as America's Got Talent, I wouldn't watch it even if I did live in the US.  

I just can't watch even 5 min of any of these shows on my couple of broadcast channels.. My tv routinely goes off after Jeopardy. Primetime isn't. If there's something on cable i want to see (there isn't much) the computer/phone works ok.

On the news deal, that was part of a discussion re Rs not  seeing some bad R stuff cuz they don't read the referenced newspapers. Or any newspapers now with 24/7 news. But they can't compete with TV and the constant moving visual bouncing ball.

I lost my battle with Wapo. I wanted to renew at the $29 rate I signed on with but they waited me out and got their $40. There was an imbalance of power. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Can Ya'all quit polluting this thread of put downs of my state.  You should start a "Don't Move To The World" thread.

I'm with you. I'd be in the glades now but for pythons. 

ETA: A don't move to the USA would give  those Ozzies something to do.

So I come down to the Sunshine State and get to hide from a tornado. At least I was a 1/4 mile away from the trailer park that got nailed this morning.

2B160672-05EA-4ED7-9FA9-F89EA464D6F2.jpeg

2E07B28E-1466-4F10-A162-950F61E380D8.jpeg

280BD001-9008-4CB9-B554-FA932CB007DE.jpeg

1 hour ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Can Ya'all quit polluting this thread of put downs of my state.  You should start a "Don't Move To The World" thread.

It's not crowded enough in town for you these days? I encountered what could almost be called traffic, if you can imagine. The horror.

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

ETA: A don't move to the USA would give  those Ozzies something to do.

Been there done that went home again.

Had a decent salary, company car, company apartment, company credit card and an interesting job.

Wasn't enough. Sorry about that. I don't like living away from the fringes of an ocean and if I wanted to live on the fringes of a pestilential swamp, Queensland is closer. Equally full of fuckwit rednecks, mind, but mostly they don't have guns.

I enjoyed my time in Tucson, FWIW, it just wasn't a place I could see living long term. The guns didn't bother me at all, except a touch of envy because as a foreigner I wasn't permitted to buy any. Would have been a bitch smuggling them home again though so probably just as well.

FKT

3 hours ago, dfw_sailor said:

no - they would rather move than vote for the Dems.

Where to?

They aren't welcome here.

3 hours ago, dfw_sailor said:

I've lived in the cities, and i have also spent years living in a West Texas town of less than 3k, where half the residents are related to the other half, and has a massive meth issue.

I came to the US on behalf of my wife, and yes for business. My clients are very happy that I did. Yes it is a better place for product development and manufacturing than Oz.

My US born wife misses Oz greatly. I'm not going to put words into her mouth about TX, or the US in general right now, and she is a rusted on GOP, fairy believer. i'll just say she is not real happy with the US atm.

I'd move to Ozlandia in a heartbeat if I could convince my wife to go.

- DSK

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Where to?

They aren't welcome here.

This video amazed me. Beau thinks that Canada will be a refugee center for millions of Americans if things go tits up. That we'll find food and housing for millions of people, issue them all Canadian driver licenses, and build shelters for them. I had no idea this guy was so detached from the reality in the GWN.

3 hours ago, 00seven said:

Sun your buns in Tucson

Still got the t shirt

Titan Missile Museum. Still got the T somewhere.

That was some seriously impressive engineering. Glad it never got tested.

And the Pima Aerospace Museum - what a place.

Anyway, don't think of moving to Australia unless you're filthy rich. We're full. Try Argentina.

FKT

40 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

This video amazed me. Beau thinks that Canada will be a refugee center for millions of Americans if things go tits up. That we'll find food and housing for millions of people, issue them all Canadian driver licenses, and build shelters for them. I had no idea this guy was so detached from the reality in the GWN.

Nobody I know would actually leave the US for Canada. A beautiful country, but way too different from America to make it a feasible home for most of the people I know. 

5 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Nobody I know would actually leave the US for Canada. A beautiful country, but way too different from America to make it a feasible home for most of the people I know. 

I agree completely.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Titan Missile Museum. Still got the T somewhere.

That was some seriously impressive engineering. Glad it never got tested.

And the Pima Aerospace Museum - what a place.

Anyway, don't think of moving to Australia unless you're filthy rich. We're full. Try Argentina.

FKT

Born in Cobar

1 minute ago, 00seven said:

Born in Cobar

Wasn't referring to you, only the US people who want to escape their own country.

Cobar - well, poor you. No wonder you have 'issues'.

FKT

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Plus, we can’t drive in K/PH

The bigger problem is the speed cameras are set to trigger at just 1mph over the limit.

I didn't say everything was great about Australia.

At least I can do 80 on Texpress around Dallas, and generally around the state.

Melbourne freeway limits are 50mph, Victoria state limit is 60, with the exception of one long but relatively minor 2 way highway with a limit of 72.

Over the top for sure  yes thread drift still. It's Sunday and I just pulled 14 hours work, sorry.

I did 110 mph for 30 miles on the NJ Parkway with my 90 year old Dad in his ‘73 Mercedes last year so he could enjoy the thrill he enjoyed as a young man with us kids as passengers. I don’t think you could do that in many other countries. Not that it was legal, but it was awesome! Freedom!!

1 hour ago, dfw_sailor said:

At least I can do 80 on Texpress around Dallas, and generally around the state.

I used to do that around Tucson.

Do 85, good chance the cops would pull you over - as I found out.

When they saw my NSW drivers licence, there was some eye rolling, off to check up on its validity, handed it back with the instruction 'Slow Down!'.

I didn't even have to say much. I think the paperwork involved in ticketing an international driver was just too much hassle.

Anyway I stuck to a max of 80 mph after that.

As for Victoria and most of Oz, yep, don't speed. It will be expensive.

FKT

11 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I used to do that around Tucson.

Do 85, good chance the cops would pull you over - as I found out.

When they saw my NSW drivers licence, there was some eye rolling, off to check up on its validity, handed it back with the instruction 'Slow Down!'.

I didn't even have to say much. I think the paperwork involved in ticketing an international driver was just too much hassle.

Anyway I stuck to a max of 80 mph after that.

As for Victoria and most of Oz, yep, don't speed. It will be expensive.

FKT

They don't ticket them any more, just shoot them. Far less paperwork.

41 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

I got the floppy hat!

It will come in handy on the boat, heading South. Canada's too cold.

And full of Canucks, eh...

Love to do the west coast up to Alaska but move there to live? Forget it. If I want cold, dark & miserable weather all I have to do is move to the bottom of NZ.

FKT

On 1/11/2022 at 12:35 PM, bridhb said:

I was really hoping Gaetz would be in jail by now.  Have not heard anything about all that crap in a while.

Congresscritters protect their own, even if from the other side of the aisle.

1 hour ago, Jules said:

From the pages of people who don't believe in science:

Florida tops states for new arrivals

Repeat after me

• Global warming is a hoax
  • Ocean sea levels are not rising
  • Florida will always be here

I met so newbies to Florida from Boston Mass. and they freaked out that people were wearing mask here? (Think they were told there's no covid in Florida) Then they announced they were RED! But they have a lot to learn about paradise, she saw her first large roach in the lady's room. Wait till they find some kind of animals living under their double wide. or their little pets are chase by gators, bobcats and.........

3 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

only 8 years,   heck you don't even know where the best bbq and tex-mex places are , yet

Yeah, that got a snort from me too. 

2 hours ago, Jules said:

From the pages of people who don't believe in science:

Florida tops states for new arrivals

Repeat after me

• Global warming is a hoax
  • Ocean sea levels are not rising
  • Florida will always be here

Yeah.

Was discussing similar this morning with swmbo.    

I await with interest as to how FL will evolve having invited all the po po in other states, who didn't want to be vaccinated. 

Should result in a very nice homogenous LEO over time. 

6 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

only 8 years,   heck you don't even know where the best bbq and tex-mex places are , yet

Well I have been dragged to a lot, in DFW, Austin, San Antonio, and out in western texas, by suppliers and industry contacts.

BBQ is nice. Occasionally. Tex-Mex is an abomination. 

I'd honestly rather eat Indian / Vietnamese / Thai etc. or True Mexican. 

Well I have been dragged to a lot, in DFW, Austin, San Antonio, and out in western texas, by suppliers and industry contacts.

BBQ is nice. Occasionally. Tex-Mex is an abomination. 

I'd honestly rather eat Indian / Vietnamese / Thai etc. or True Mexican. 

And he wonders why folks aren't friendly. Better have spouse buy you a gun. Even the odds a bit. American way. 

I'd honestly rather eat Indian / Vietnamese  / Thai etc. or True Mexican. 

try  "Our Place"   8150 N MacArthur Blvd # 150, Irving, north of LBJ...   got a great lunch buffet...

Vietnam Restaurant...   4302 Bryan St, Dallas, 

plenty of good Thai around...   Thai Orchid in addison was good..

True mexican?   it's a big country with hundreds of styles..    personally I like a good mole..

23 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

True mexican?   it's a big country with hundreds of styles..    personally I like a good mole.

Do you needed adaptere foire the littelle guyes?  Howe manney mackes a mealle?

262679aa-a09e-4dc7-878b-ac3abcd20b8a_1.7

Do you de-furr befoire rottissaratteng them?                               :)

57 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

And he wonders why folks aren't friendly. Better have spouse buy you a gun. Even the odds a bit. American way. 

believe it or not, I am as friendly and supportive (to a fault) as can be. Unless the other person is a twat.

One of my best buddies in west texas is a born again evangelical who earlier had a rough and tumble life. Not the sort of guy you would want to cross.

I am an absolute atheist, and he knows it. We have long deep conversations about that stuff, which he really enjoys, because as he puts it........You normally cant have those discussions in Texas - day to day discussion is mostly just bravado, the weather and how good or bad the cowboys or local school team did in the last game.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

try  "Our Place"   8150 N MacArthur Blvd # 150, Irving, north of LBJ...   got a great lunch buffet...

Vietnam Restaurant...   4302 Bryan St, Dallas, 

plenty of good Thai around...   Thai Orchid in addison was good..

True mexican?   it's a big country with hundreds of styles..    personally I like a good mole..

thanks GMD!

We've recently had great success at indian takeout cafes (where you buy the cooked food by the pound), around Garland.

Have to be little more careful with indian grocery stores in that area though, a lot of out of date products.

No problems getting authentic Mexican, over 70 Mexicans working for a sister company. We do cookouts every week apart from winter.

We've really enjoyed Thai Orchard until something changed about 2 years ago. He used to cook some really off the wall stuff that was awesome, and then he seemed to tame it down a bit. Bit of a shame.

12 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

cold, dark & miserable weather

Well, where I live, the past three days have been temperatures of -25 C to - 15 C with windchill -38 C to - 25 C.  Today the temperature is up a bit but getting 40 cm of snow. 

The thing is, that is normal winter weather.  I can expect that kind of weather from about mid-December to early March.  I expect 3 - 4 m of snow every winter.  For a few months either side of 'winter' I can expect freezing or near-freezing temperatures, snow, sleet, etc.   So snow in November and snow in April are expected.  Snow in October and May happens, but isn't expected....(but should be).

What is "cold, dark & miserable" about that?   :)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Bugsy said:

Well, where I live, the past three days have been temperatures of -25 C to - 15 C with windchill -38 C to - 25 C.  Today the temperature is up a bit but getting 40 cm of snow. 

The thing is, that is normal winter weather.  I can expect that kind of weather from about mid-December to early March.  I expect 3 - 4 m of snow every winter.  For a few months either side of 'winter' I can expect freezing or near-freezing temperatures, snow, sleet, etc.   So snow in November and snow in April are expected.  Snow in October and May happens, but isn't expected....(but should be).

People's concept of cold,dark&miserable is interesting.

Wife spent 17 years in Sioux Falls SD. Often too cold for snow. She loved winter. 

Then moved to Melbourne Australia, where the lowest overnight temperature is about -5c and usually only for a couple of nights a year. Usual coldest day would be 5c, normal cold day = 10c.

She hated winter in Melbourne. Houses, cars, shops, public transport are not designed to cope with cold weather, so the damp, windy dreary weather really go into her bones. She vastly preferred the much dryer colder SD winter.

Me?   I dont knwo why the first settlers in SD just didnt move on after the first winter, although they mostly descend from Northern Europe anyway.

17 minutes ago, dfw_sailor said:

Wife spent 17 years in Sioux Falls SD. Often too cold for snow. She loved winter. 

Then moved to Melbourne Australia, where the lowest overnight temperature is about -5c and usually only for a couple of nights a year. Usual coldest day would be 5c, normal cold day = 10c.

She hated winter in Melbourne. Houses, cars, shops, public transport are not designed to cope with cold weather, so the damp, windy dreary weather really go into her bones. She vastly preferred the much dryer colder SD winter.

Me?   I dont knwo why the first settlers in SD just didnt move on after the first winter, although they mostly descend from Northern Europe anyway.

I've lived in the US in places almost as cold as South Dakota and in places where the temps were regularly over 100 degrees F with low humidity.  

Whether it's dry cold or dry heat, in my opinion when it gets to a certain point, dry or not it's just damned uncomfortable.  I prefer areas that stay away from either extreme.

And  a lot of northern Europe is far warmer than it should be due to the relatively warm water in the Atlantic ocean.  For example Moscow, Russia, Copenhagen, Denmark, and Edinburgh, Scotland are all located around 55 degrees north latitude.  Moscow is the only one of those 3 that regularly experiences bitter cold weather.  There aren't many big cities in the world north of that latitude, or a lot of people at all, and for good reasons.  The biggest being the cold temperatures and short summers, which have an effect on more than just comfort.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, dfw_sailor said:

A common problem with migrants to Australia; complaining about the cold during winter, even as far north a sub tropical Queensland.

I have a number of English friends and a Russian daughter in law. All feel the cold in winter, or even just in wet sailing gear in summer, while we're still running around in shorts and a t shirt. ANd if it's not too cold then its too hot.

Even they admit its because they're used to a climate controlled lifestyle back in theri country of origin, while Australians tend not to heat their houses that much (or cool it for that matter) and just aclimatise, or adjust their clothing to match it better. 

53 minutes ago, Bugsy said:

I rest my case.

Having spent a couple of winters in the Antarctic pack working aboard ships I know all I ever need to know about that crap.

And it doesn't get as cold as that either. I think -30C is the coldest we saw.

Not to mention the short days. Dawn - sort of - at 1100. Sunset at 1300. Fuck that. It was an interesting experience, after all I went back for a second time, but I was being paid to be there. NFW I'd ever LIVE somewhere like that.

Summer in the pack, OTOH, was utterly glorious.

FKT

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

Wait till they find some kind of animals living under their double wide. or their little pets are chase by gators, bobcats and.........

...tornadoes.  Just had several drop in the other day and, with laser accuracy, wipe out a number of double wides.

God help me, I have to go to a convention in Tampa next week. I've never been to that particular corner of glorious Florida.

Any "must do's" or "must avoids" I should be aware of?

27 minutes ago, IStream said:

God help me, I have to go to a convention in Tampa next week. I've never been to that particular corner of glorious Florida.

Must avoids the left lane on I-75. The right lane is the fast lane. Siesta key for the white sand and quirky bars. One hour south of Tampa. Just follow the strip malls wherever you go.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, IStream said:

Get to Titusville and get rock shrimp at Dixie crossroads...  Well worth it...  would go there every business trip down that way when that was a thing..  Good stuff, small town off beaten path...  

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60751-d466905-Reviews-Dixie_Crossroads_Restaurant-Titusville_Brevard_County_Florida.html

LOL, Yes it is on the other side of the state....  My info is based on Orlando...  

• Like 2
7 hours ago, shaggy said:

Get to Titusville and get rock shrimp at Dixie crossroads...  Well worth it...  would go there every business trip down that way when that was a thing..  Good stuff, small town off beaten path...  

Dixie Crossroads is awesome.  The boat we bought was in Titusville and we would hit that place every time we went there to get her ready to sail back home.  But it's a bit of a drive from Tampa, like across the state.

9 hours ago, IStream said:

The Columbia restaurant for high end Cuban food. Ybor city.

go over to St Petersburg to see the Chihuly, the Dali, the Sunken Gardens and the Ceviche, a bar in a basement with excellent live guitar 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jules said:

Dixie Crossroads is awesome.  The boat we bought was in Titusville and we would hit that place every time we went there to get her ready to sail back home.  But it's a bit of a drive from Tampa, like across the state.

40 minutes from Cocoa Beach, I’ll have to see if the wife wants to check it out. I’m allergic.

10 hours ago, IStream said:

You know, with all these great suggestions, getting Covid on this trip might be worth it after all!

In St Pete. have the huge meat ball at the Holland, sit on the patio and chat, If you can geta room there even better.

also, a walk away " the 5-dollar buck bar," good cheap food and drink

Tornado stories...

John Rappold was awakened Sunday morning by what sounded like a freight train coming through his lanai.

He stood up and then ducked to the ground as the walls of his manufactured home crashed down on him.

As the 79-year-old dug himself out, his wife, Sallie Bennett heard the sounds of a pontoon boat smashing into her car window and landing just feet away from her neighbor’s bedroom.

“That boat flew from the canal over a house and into mine and my neighbor’s yards,” said Bennett, 82, of the 110 mph tornado winds that ripped through Gasparilla

Tornado_Pontoon.jpg.725ad52a241d2843a3c2befe17995381.jpg

-----------------------------

On Tuesday, Bennett yelled to a crew of scrappers in a boat removing debris out of trees, the waterway and the nearby pasture, for a favor. She wanted one of her chairs and a small table that flew over the canal and into a field.

The men returned the items and said they believed her missing antique couch was on the other side in a debris pile.

On 1/18/2022 at 11:21 AM, shaggy said:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60751-d466905-Reviews-Dixie_Crossroads_Restaurant-Titusville_Brevard_County_Florida.html

LOL, Yes it is on the other side of the state....  My info is based on Orlando...  

Never been there though I have driven by a bunch of times and seen the signs.  Will have to check it out.

3 hours ago, Jules said:

Tornado stories...

John Rappold was awakened Sunday morning by what sounded like a freight train coming through his lanai.

He stood up and then ducked to the ground as the walls of his manufactured home crashed down on him.

As the 79-year-old dug himself out, his wife, Sallie Bennett heard the sounds of a pontoon boat smashing into her car window and landing just feet away from her neighbor’s bedroom.

“That boat flew from the canal over a house and into mine and my neighbor’s yards,” said Bennett, 82, of the 110 mph tornado winds that ripped through Gasparilla

Tornado_Pontoon.jpg.725ad52a241d2843a3c2befe17995381.jpg

-----------------------------

On Tuesday, Bennett yelled to a crew of scrappers in a boat removing debris out of trees, the waterway and the nearby pasture, for a favor. She wanted one of her chairs and a small table that flew over the canal and into a field.

The men returned the items and said they believed her missing antique couch was on the other side in a debris pile.

When they were shopping for a home that huge T in a circle in the parking lot should have told them what to expect. :D

11 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Tampa to Titusville for a meal? Really? ~ 5 hour drive RT. Lots of traffic. On a biz trip? Can't see it. And you'll be  hungry again at the end. What's the upside?

Only really been to Orlando for business, but as boring as those seminars are, a "Quick" lunch break might help his mental health....

10 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Only really been to Orlando for business, but as boring as those seminars are, a "Quick" lunch break might help his mental health....

:) And better have one of those toll passes near Orlando. That stopping to pay that often gets old fast. 

:) And better have one of those toll passes near Orlando. That stopping to pay that often gets old fast. 

How much do they make off those things from the damn tourists.  It was only me in the rental minivan that last time and everything was paid by corp, so we didn't bother with the passes or stopping(Prob had a corp pass or something in the car).    Could not imagine the arguments w 3 kids in the car, trying to get to Disney for the first time.  That road must be a gold mine...  

4 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Could not imagine the arguments w 3 kids in the car, trying to get to Disney for the first time.  That road must be a gold mine...  

It's awful from my several trips thru the area. 

stopping to pay at toll booths? I do know that around Miami, the toll booths dont take cash at all; it's either SunPass or they bill to the address of the license plate.

SunPass isn't a bad deal, really, unless you will only go to Floriduh one time. My SunPass account kept the balance for over a year between my trips and all I had to do when i came back is top up the account via inet.

5 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

stopping to pay at toll booths? I do know that around Miami, the toll booths dont take cash at all; it's either SunPass or they bill to the address of the license plate.

SunPass isn't a bad deal, really, unless you will only go to Floriduh one time. My SunPass account kept the balance for over a year between my trips and all I had to do when i came back is top up the account via inet.

In New England, most of the new, high speed EasyPass toll plazas were still built with one or two cash only lanes for those that stand in defense of low paying, low skill jobs. The same folks that refuse to do the self checkout at Walmart because they aren't getting paid to do a cashier's job.

I think about them every time I fly through at 70MPH and smile.

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

Orlando to the Space Coast is around $2.50 in total (2 toll booths).  If you use the rental cars electronic pass they charge you a bunch more. 

1 hour ago, Willin' said:

In New England, most of the new, high speed EasyPass toll plazas were still built with one or two cash only lanes for those that stand in defense of low paying, low skill jobs. The same folks that refuse to do the self checkout at Walmart because they aren't getting paid to do a cashier's job.

I think about them every time I fly through at 70MPH and smile.

That's my point...  It must be a gold mine from the touristas that have no idea what is to be done once they leave the airport....  I was staying at the airport and commuting to the convention ctr for the last Microsoft mumbo jumbo before covid,  I think I figured out all the toll stuff by day 3.  Days 1-2 were just fuck it, send me a bill cause I am late for the breakout session...  :)

two cash only lanes for those that stand in defense of low paying, low skill jobs.

The same folks that refuse to do the self checkout at Walmart because they aren't getting paid

to do a cashier's job.

that's poetry right there 

19 hours ago, Gangbusters said:

40 minutes from Cocoa Beach, I’ll have to see if the wife wants to check it out. I’m allergic.

Daammnn. I was at a Dixie Crossroads restaurant in Titsville 3 decades ago. Great time.  

We're prolly 70-80 minutes away, buuuuuutttttt...

21 hours ago, shaggy said:

How much do they make off those things from the damn tourists. 

When we were making our weekend trips from PG to Titusville, we'd drop around $8 in tolls each way.  We finally got sick of it and detoured to non-toll roads.  Time-wise, it was hardly noticeable.  That $8 saved each way paid for the drinks at Dixie Crossroads.

Don't forget to bring your umbrella...

Senior holds deputies at bay with umbrella

Man also accused of biting, headbutting deputies                                                        UmbrellaMan.jpg.c653e916666c5c77762fa8394133c330.jpg

PUNTA GORDA — A man living at an assisted care facility was arrested Tuesday for allegedly attacking Charlotte County deputies who attempted to serve him a court order.

Heywood Dean Musselwhite, 69, was charged with one count of resisting arrest with violence and two counts of battery against a first responder.

Charlotte County deputies arrived at the Southern Heritage Home on Berry Road on Tuesday afternoon to serve an order on Musselwhite and remove him from the premises.

Upon their arrival, deputies were informed that Musselwhite had barricaded himself in a bathroom. According to the arrest report, he was using a “large umbrella” to keep the deputies away from him.

Deputies eventually managed to remove him from the bathroom by pulling him by his shirt. Musselwhite then grabbed a deputy’s shirt. As the deputies moved him to a bed to handcuff him, he allegedly bit one deputy on the arm and struck another deputy in the face with his head.

In the report, it notes the deputy who was bitten punched Musselwhite in the head to get free from his hand and teeth.

The report states while Musselwhite was living in an assisted care facility and was “living out of his bathroom,” he did not appear to be in the midst of a mental crisis.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, ropetrick said:

Florida Man, retiree edition.

Shiiiit you don't want to hear stories from ANY assisted care facility.  It's prison rules dawg.

Now if he was keeping staff at bay with the 3' snapping turtle he kept as a pet in a bathtub...pffft umbrella, that's n00b stuff.