Jump to content

Don't MoveTo Florida


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Funny. Very funny…<_<

I’m off exit 82!

I lived in Cherry Hill during my HS years. We had Rt 295 but didn't warrant a turnpike exit.

Just went over a map of the area. It used to be Rt70 east around 3 or 4 traffic circles, then south east on Rt 72 through the Pine Barrens to Manahawkin and LBI.  Holy shit!  All those circles are gone!

Ya turn your back for 40 or 50 years and they change everything on ya.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes the local Letters To The Editor can be more amusing than sad: "So I'm driving down Midway and look to the left and there in a church parking lot is a pickup truck with a Confederate fla

In our more rural areas there are a lot of freely accessible groves, most of them with old trees and fruits. These have been outshadowed by modern "industrial" species and those are usually heavily sp

Of course there is. Evolutionary time is vast compared to the span since ‘civilization’ began, and even then… Let’s face it, aggression is a beneficial trait, then and today. Now it’s just called ‘amb

Posted Images

Even the once lowly 295 has grown to a large motorway. 

Don’t forget the clack a clack a clack ride to the shore on the concrete slabs of Rt. 70!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2022 at 9:50 AM, billy backstay said:

 

I gather you are in Stuart?  My former partner just bought her Mothers house and is spending time there.  I gather it is a way calmer pace than Fort Liqourdale, where we used to have the race boat in the winter for the SORC, in the early '80s.    Both our daughters are in Charleston, SC, so no need to go further south, but Stuart might be a place to check out, should things change?  It's 30 degrees in Charleston for our daughter's baby shower today.  We had planned to go, but the mother-in-law, whose house on Sullivan's Island we were planning to stay at, is not vaccinated, and with the rapid spread of Omicron, we bailed out...  

Yeah, we’ve been here in Stuart for 5 years now. Smaller then Ft Laudy by a lot, which we like. Small coastal FL boating town on the water. Sailboat racing is a bit quiet (mostly dinghies), but center console heaven. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bullets fly when a drunk is denied more booze...

This link has the video - https://nbc-2.com/news/crime/2022/01/22/shots-fired-into-punta-gorda-irish-pub-friday-night/

PUNTA GORDA, Fla. — Punta Gorda Police are searching for someone who fired shots into a Punta Gorda Irish Pub late Friday night.

Officials responded to The Celtic Ray Public House after receiving reports about a shooting that occurred.

Witnesses told police someone fired at the building from the outside.

Police are looking for the person or persons that fired the shots into the building, according to the PGPD.

CR-Shooter_01.thumb.jpg.628c43817d10349b38e0494f98b7641a.jpg

He got cut off so he went out to his truck, took out an automatic weapon, and did a drive by shooting on the Celtic Ray Pub

CR-BulletHole_002.thumb.jpg.24261e6e5added04013d81cd92ece866.jpg

CR-BulletHole_001.thumb.jpg.15222a5ff7884d81109f9bcc34c1bf0c.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

A logical progression of the gun nut culture.

Yes, but there is a bright side to the story.  Police say he fired dozens of shots at the building but only a few hit it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jules said:

Yes, but there is a bright side to the story.  Police say he fired dozens of shots at the building but only a few hit it.

In an urban area, they ended up hitting something (I know from experience)

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Pertinacious Tom said:

Hah! The Celtic Ray is right downtown but hardly an "urban" area.

Tom,

You should do a copycat driveby with your assault dog balls and see if anyone notices!

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Pertinacious Tom said:

Hah! The Celtic Ray is right downtown but hardly an "urban" area.

Did a 360 street view spin and there appears to be a building or public space in every direction.  No earth mound bullet catchers around the building that I could see.  I live in a semi rural area and my house has caught a stray bullet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Tom,

You should do a copycat driveby with your assault dog balls and see if anyone notices!

Nah.

Quote

He got cut off so he went out to his truck, took out an automatic weapon, and did a drive by shooting on the Celtic Ray Pub

Machine guns generally start in the five figure range ever since Saint Ronald closed the registry, effectively restricting them only to the very wealthy. Not that there's anything regressive or troubling about that.

It's a bit surprising, given that the hundreds of thousands of legally owned machine guns are virtually never used in crimes. But I guess this guy was loaded in more ways than one.

Or maybe it's just more sloppy reporting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2022 at 9:09 AM, Tunnel Rat said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60095057
 

Monkeys escape from crash on their way to Florida laboratory. Discuss

 

I remember in the early '80s there were wild monkeys living in the woods near Derecktors shipyard in Fort Lauderdale.  The story was they had escaped from some zoo nearby, and become feral...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

The latest problem comes from feral, herpes-infected monkeys that freely roam the northeast coast of Florida.

If you're getting herpes from a monkey, your problem isn't herpes.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

If you're getting herpes from a monkey, your problem isn't herpes.

In Florida, a little left over yellow paint can cause all kinds of mischief.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Pertinacious Tom said:

Nah.

Machine guns generally start in the five figure range ever since Saint Ronald closed the registry, effectively restricting them only to the very wealthy. Not that there's anything regressive or troubling about that.

It's a bit surprising, given that the hundreds of thousands of legally owned machine guns are virtually never used in crimes. But I guess this guy was loaded in more ways than one.

Or maybe it's just more sloppy reporting.

Most likely its this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2022 at 9:19 AM, Willin&#x27; said:

I lived in Cherry Hill during my HS years. We had Rt 295 but didn't warrant a turnpike exit.

Just went over a map of the area. It used to be Rt70 east around 3 or 4 traffic circles, then south east on Rt 72 through the Pine Barrens to Manahawkin and LBI.  Holy shit!  All those circles are gone!

Ya turn your back for 40 or 50 years and they change everything on ya.

 

you hung out on LBI  ?    i spent a lot of time there too..   when we came back to the states  we stayed in NJ and a lot of weekends was spent heading down to point pleasent with all the relatives, until a friends mom introduced me to island beach state park...   after that i convinced my dad that's where we should go to the beach, never went back to point pleasent..    in HS,  hung out on LBI with friends as one of the families had a second house there..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

you hung out on LBI  ?    i spent a lot of time there too..   when we came back to the states  we stayed in NJ and a lot of weekends was spent heading down to point pleasent with all the relatives, until a friends mom introduced me to island beach state park...   after that i convinced my dad that's where we should go to the beach, never went back to point pleasent..    in HS,  hung out on LBI with friends as one of the families had a second house there..

Great memories growing up and learning to surf there.

Just before I had to report for the Navy in 1971 I hitched down to Beach Haven to spend my last 3 weeks of freedom at the beach. A lady had just bought a boarding house on Centre St. and hired me as a handy man to help her get it ready to open for the season. We got along famously and she gave me a free room in the back called the Dog House and 3 meals a day with plenty of time off to surf. Every afternoon we had G&Ts together on the front porch and watched the summer people arriving. We became great friends.

The former boarding house became the Green Gables Guest House, and she intended to only rent  to girls. The last week I was there the girls started arriving and starting their summer jobs as waitresses, chamber maids, bar tenders, etc. Almost all of them in their late teens and 20s.

Needless to say, for the 4 years I spent in the Navy I took almost all my leave and long weekends in BH, staying in the dog house, surfing and getting to know the girls. I spent the summer after I got out in BH, although by then Mrs. R had started renting out the Dog House so I had to get my own place. 

We remained good friends long after I moved to CA, so much so that I took my wife to meet her once on a visit to NJ in the late 80s.

I don't think I could go back there any more. I Zillowed a bunch of houses down there and couldn't find any under a mill. I live in a different world from anyone that can afford a million dollar beach shack.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Willin&#x27; said:

Great memories growing up and learning to surf there.

Just before I had to report for the Navy in 1971 I hitched down to Beach Haven to spend my last 3 weeks of freedom at the beach. A lady had just bought a boarding house on Centre St. and hired me as a handy man to help her get it ready to open for the season. We got along famously and she gave me a free room in the back called the Dog House and 3 meals a day with plenty of time off to surf. Every afternoon we had G&Ts together on the front porch and watched the summer people arriving. We became great friends.

The former boarding house became the Green Gables Guest House, and she intended to only rent  to girls. The last week I was there the girls started arriving and starting their summer jobs as waitresses, chamber maids, bar tenders, etc. Almost all of them in their late teens and 20s.

Needless to say, for the 4 years I spent in the Navy I took almost all my leave and long weekends in BH, staying in the dog house, surfing and getting to know the girls. I spent the summer after I got out in BH, although by then Mrs. R had started renting out the Dog House so I had to get my own place. 

We remained good friends long after I moved to CA, so much so that I took my wife to meet her once on a visit to NJ in the late 80s.

I don't think I could go back there any more. I Zillowed a bunch of houses down there and couldn't find any under a mill. I live in a different world from anyone that can afford a million dollar beach shack.

 

i wonder what my friends father did with his house,  it was a couple hundred yards from the beach down towards barnegatte ..   I know the dad sold his first house and move to block island and opened a bed and breakfast..

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SailRacer said:

Shhh don't tell anyone about LBI, even if y'all were on the wrong side of the island.

Sail Safe!

 

p.s. guess the cat is out of the bag now..

it's funny, always remembered island beach state park as being on LBI,  but looking at the map its on seaside heights...     anyway  tons better than being on point pleasant..

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Willin&#x27; said:

Great memories growing up and learning to surf there.

Just before I had to report for the Navy in 1971 I hitched down to Beach Haven to spend my last 3 weeks of freedom at the beach. A lady had just bought a boarding house on Centre St. and hired me as a handy man to help her get it ready to open for the season. We got along famously and she gave me a free room in the back called the Dog House and 3 meals a day with plenty of time off to surf. Every afternoon we had G&Ts together on the front porch and watched the summer people arriving. We became great friends.

Sounds more like Summer of 42?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cal20sailor said:

I always had a thing for older women and now I have one, she's a year younger than me!

Well Cal, you know my feelings on the subject.  :lol:

Back in my mid 20s I dated a couple of women that were a bit older than me.  Like by 15 years or so.

But that was then...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Back in my mid 20s I dated a couple of women that were a bit older than me.  Like by 15 years or so.

The gals were also doing some bragging.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

That was a great book and a great film.

 

JO.jpg

I really liked that late in life they made contact - apparently she had had a lifetime of guilt over it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

I really liked that late in life they made contact - apparently she had had a lifetime of guilt over it.

And that's just one of the many reasons that men will never understand women.  Or vice versa.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

And that's just one of the many reasons that men will never understand women.  Or vice versa.

Are we on Mars or Venus...I always forget.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

And that's just one of the many reasons that men will never understand women.  Or vice versa.

His description of his reaction to it was enlightening - apparently it was not at all the strutting ego thing one might expect - he said he was very confused and disturbed by it. Keep in mind that he was only 14 IIRC.

Not "damaged" as such but not what we like to think our reaction would have been either.

The interview with him is on the web somewhere.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cal20sailor said:

Are we on Mars or Venus...I always forget.  

We're all on Earth, just not down to it in many cases.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Jules said:

Last night the TV weatherman was talking about possible frost overnight. 

Then he explained what frost is...

Conference in Orlando in the first week of January.  We have an 8:30 tee time and turn on the local station to hear the weatherman explain "wind chill factor".

Disney had frost coverings to protect the flower beds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Sounds more like Summer of 42?

I'll post a pic of her later. You'll change your mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SailRacer said:

Shhh don't tell anyone about LBI, even if y'all were on the wrong side of the island.

I agree, if I could live there now, it would be in the Harvey Cedars/ Loveladies area. Back then, Ship Bottom to Beach Haven was where the chicks were.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Willin&#x27; said:

I'll post a pic of her later. You'll change your mind.

00-s1RU9z0YAKuOn_Dn1CghLIVEgD7x87jwL56ub

Mrs. R, the lady to the right, aboard the cruise boat Snoopy out of Barnegat Light, summer of 1975. Granted, she was a hot 4 years younger when she hired me as her maintenance man, but somehow I managed to separate business from pleasure. Shewas a wonderful lady!

One afternoon, while I was back in my room off of the kitchen at the Green Gables, I chanced to overhear Mrs R and her friend Aggie (also pictured above) talking about some nude paintings on exhibit at a local art gallery. Aggie mentioned how she never found the pussy particularly attractive in most nude photos and artwork. I was 19 yo then. I had to hide back there for an hour before they left and I could sneak out, and was scarred for a long time from that revelation.

Who knew grown women talked about pussy?

Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Florida Sen. Rick Scott Touts Infrastructure Funding He Voted Against

The Florida Republican railed against the "reckless spending" contained in the measure, which passed with wide bipartisan support last year.
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2022 at 6:45 PM, Pertinacious Tom said:

Hah! The Celtic Ray is right downtown but hardly an "urban" area.

Urban Leprechan

I'm still trying to figure out how a reported ~20 rounds fired only hit this building a few times

934091781_Celtic-Ray-Punta-Gorda-banner1.jpg.fa2779788a884f8b69dcd81703d160db.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jules said:

Urban Leprechan

I'm still trying to figure out how a reported ~20 rounds fired only hit this building a few times

934091781_Celtic-Ray-Punta-Gorda-banner1.jpg.fa2779788a884f8b69dcd81703d160db.jpg

Maybe the shooter was a dropout from stormtrooper school. Not good enough shot to be a stormtrooper would say a lot.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jules said:

That's a lotta drunk

I've exercised my elbow a bit in that establishment. I've never seen anyone cut off. I've seen some pretty drunk people. So my guess is that you have to be muy blastido to get cut off.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people living on the canals in North Port, FL are fighting to control boat traffic on the canals.  Pollution, both noise and water, and boat wakes are their major complaint.  Some comments from North Port commissioners:

To resident's complaints about engine noises, boaters buzzing the canals as fast as they could go, commissioner Alice White said, “Guess I never noticed."

“Wasn’t thinking who we are going to nail,” White said of waterway ticketing by either Florida wildlife authorities or city police.

Her concern is laughable. 

Next up:

The group [of commissioners] noted North Port had gas-powered boats for surveys, rescues and clearing water grasses.

“Can’t tell some people no and disobey it ourselves,” Commissioner Jill Luke said.

How can a commissioner equate necessary city services with pleasure boating? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jules said:

Some people living on the canals in North Port, FL are fighting to control boat traffic on the canals. 

Do these people living on the canals own boats themselves?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wall Street Journal says Florida is the place to be

https://www.wsj.com/articles/floridas-west-coast-cities-top-wsj-realtor-coms-housing-index-11643106606?mod=Searchresults_pos11&page=1

In case this is behind a paywall here is the headline and the lead:

 

Florida’s West Coast Cities Top WSJ/Realtor.com’s Housing Index
Naples led the fourth-quarter rankings, as the Sunshine State attracted home buyers looking to work remotely near the beach
Naples, Fla., where home sales in the metro area rose 26% in 2021 from a year earlier.
 

Cities on Florida’s west coast climbed to the top of The Wall Street Journal/Realtor.com Emerging Housing Markets Index, boosted by the growth of remote work and warm weather in the Sunshine State.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:
7 hours ago, Jules said:

Some people living on the canals in North Port, FL are fighting to control boat traffic on the canals. 

Do these people living on the canals own boats themselves?  

Undoubtedly, some do. And of those, some keep their boats in lifts so as to be immune to the passing wakes of their own elk.

A revenge wake is the best remedy IMHO.

- DSK

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:
32 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

A revenge wake is the best remedy IMHO.

Kinda like an ice pick in the neck is a good trade for hateful speech?

A little less extreme.

I believe in being nice, but I'm not nice because I -HAVE- to be. I also believe in fuck around and find out.

- DSK

[edit to add] icepick placement is an art that can be studied, the neck is not what you seek.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

A little less extreme.

I believe in being nice, but I'm not nice because I -HAVE- to be. I also believe in fuck around and find out.

- DSK

[edit to add] icepick placement is an art that can be studied, the neck is not what you seek.

 

Let me guess?  Through the eye or ear into the brain???

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

 

Let me guess?  Through the eye or ear into the brain???

Kidneys, man, go for the kidneys.

Some of these people, the brain is a very small target and getting through the bone with an ice pick is pretty dubious.

Else get a battery hammer drill.

FKT

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Kinda like an ice pick in the neck is a good trade for hateful speech?

 

Just don't waste your time sticking it in their temple - that will only lobotomize them, hence is entirely ineffective.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The ICW was built for commercial use. I'd like to see a speed limit in the range of barge travel... say 10kts or less. Runabouts don't seem to do much damage wake-wise but the big fast sport fishers do. The big boys are built for high speed and I say let them go outside and be big boys. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

The ICW was built for commercial use. I'd like to see a speed limit in the range of barge travel... say 10kts or less. Runabouts don't seem to do much damage wake-wise but the big fast sport fishers do. The big boys are built for high speed and I say let them go outside and be big boys. 

A lot of boats make HUGE wakes at 10 knots.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched for two weeks as various boats would throw big wakes in the "no wake zone" of the ICW. The ones that did it most were the ones still flying "Trump" flags and playing Kid Rock at volume 11 as they roared by. I really was wishing I had a water canon.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, pbd said:

Cities on Florida’s west coast climbed to the top of The Wall Street Journal/Realtor.com Emerging Housing Markets Index, boosted by the growth of remote work and warm weather in the Sunshine State.

Possible realtor ads:

Buy now!  Ocean levels are rising!  Everyone is rushing to buy a home on the water!  Hurry before they are gone! 

Now is the time to buy beautiful oceanfront homes!  Inventory is disappearing fast!

Come join us in some fun in the sun!  Beach space is limited!

Florida - the boater's paradise!  Come on down and join the millions of other boaters!  The waters are growing every day!

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, dyslexic dog said:

I watched for two weeks as various boats would throw big wakes in the "no wake zone" of the ICW. The ones that did it most were the ones still flying "Trump" flags and playing Kid Rock at volume 11 as they roared by. I really was wishing I had a water canon.

This is the water cannon I would use 

USS_Lyman_K._Swenson_%28DD-729%29_firing_on_shore_targets_in_Vietnam%2C_circa_in_1969.jpg

firing in nam

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:
43 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

A lot of boats make HUGE wakes at 10 knots.

I was seeking a reasonable upper limit but no wake is the point. 

Some boaters are clueless about wake.  They never look back. 

As for speed, sailboats zip past our house leaving no wake.  Powerboats have to slow to a crawl to do that. 

But no matter what laws they create, they are useless unless enforced and the penalty hurts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

A Florida man who gave the out-of-this-world gift of space travel to his college roommate still feels disappointed he wasn’t able to go on the historic flight himself.

Kyle Hippchen finally identified himself as the anonymous winner of a 2021 sweepstakes who gave his trip to the final frontier to a longtime friend, Chris Sembroski.

Hippchen, who weighs 330 pounds, paid $600 for multiple chances to win the contest before he learned there was a weight limit of 250 pounds.

“I was trying to figure how I could drop 80 pounds in six months, which, I mean, it’s possible, but it’s not the most healthy thing in the world to do,” Hippchen, who is an Endeavor Air captain, told The Associated Press.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jules said:

Some boaters are clueless about wake.  They never look back. 

As for speed, sailboats zip past our house leaving no wake.  Powerboats have to slow to a crawl to do that. 

But no matter what laws they create, they are useless unless enforced and the penalty hurts.

Manatees live in coastal waters, estuaries and rivers—which happens to be where there is a lot of boat traffic. They also feed on seagrasses that grow in sunny, shallow waters, meaning they spend a lot of time close to the surface, putting them more at risk for boat strikes. Collisions with boats remain the leading cause of human-related death for manatees. This year, boat strikes are on the rise, with 89 manatees killed by motorboats in the first half of 2019, compared to only 65 in the first half of 2018. However, not all boat strikes result in death: a 2004 study found 97% of manatees have boat strike scars

Link to post
Share on other sites

no wake zone results in max wakes

 

why the nuts come in full speed on a plane

then dump the power and fall in the water RIGHT AT THE NO WAKE SIGN

CREATING THE MAX WAKE POSSIBLE

BERTRAM'S s/f boats were the worst common type

Link to post
Share on other sites

btw on the bar shooting machine guns

some types can be converted by a metal snip

there is a lever/catch called a sear in fact two of them in a semi

if one is cut falls off breaks one could have an illegal gun

a cheap SS model many boats have was known ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, nota said:

no wake zone results in max wakes

 

why the nuts come in full speed on a plane

then dump the power and fall in the water RIGHT AT THE NO WAKE SIGN

CREATING THE MAX WAKE POSSIBLE

BERTRAM'S s/f boats were the worst common type

Tollycrafts create the worst wakes I've ever seen - nearly double the height of comparable boats..

Well built boats but definitely something wrong in their design - moving all that water soaks up a huge amount of energy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:

Manatees live in coastal waters, estuaries and rivers—which happens to be where there is a lot of boat traffic. They also feed on seagrasses that grow in sunny, shallow waters, meaning they spend a lot of time close to the surface, putting them more at risk for boat strikes. Collisions with boats remain the leading cause of human-related death for manatees. This year, boat strikes are on the rise, with 89 manatees killed by motorboats in the first half of 2019, compared to only 65 in the first half of 2018. However, not all boat strikes result in death: a 2004 study found 97% of manatees have boat strike scars

When I lived in Florida, I joined a campaign to fit manatees with protective Kevlar vests. This would make hitting a manatee a self-punishing crime. Still makes the most sense to me.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jules said:

Some boaters are clueless about wake.  They never look back. 

As for speed, sailboats zip past our house leaving no wake.  Powerboats have to slow to a crawl to do that. 

But no matter what laws they create, they are useless unless enforced and the penalty hurts.

Rules aren't enforced until they generate enough revenue to pay for patrol time.   I suggest twice the total cost to fuel the offending boat using Marina prices, plus a $200 stupid tax to penalize jetskis.  Those Kaitens may not make much wake but need penalized on principal.      

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jules said:

Some boaters are clueless about wake.  They never look back. 

As for speed, sailboats zip past our house leaving no wake.  Powerboats have to slow to a crawl to do that. 

But no matter what laws they create, they are useless unless enforced and the penalty hurts.

 

Some smaller planing powerboats throw off much less wake on a plane than going say 6 or 7 knots!   We have to slow down further for wake as small as when planing.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lark said:

Rules aren't enforced until they generate enough revenue to pay for patrol time.   I suggest twice the total cost to fuel the offending boat using Marina prices, plus a $200 stupid tax to penalize jetskis.  Those Kaitens may not make much wake but need penalized on principal.      

funny thing is power boaters on that have house on the ditch, complain about other power boater that leave wakes by their house/dock, but when on the water they do the same thing

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

 

Some smaller planing powerboats throw off much less wake on a plane than going say 6 or 7 knots!   We have to slow down further for wake as small as when planing.....

Crab and Dyslexic Dog were concerned about wake.   Steam brought up manatees.   As a paddle enthusiast, I also worry about human safety.   Therefor a jetski or small flat boat that makes no wake still is a legitimate target (enforcement or cannon) if it's rounding the oxbow at speed.   Perhaps there are no small boats to endanger, but that's probably as much because they've all been run over as because they died of heat stroke.   After canoeing on Okefenokee I have nothing but good to say about paddling Florida's infernal jungles, and hope to gain some small boat time on the ICW at some point.   

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lark said:

Rules aren't enforced until they generate enough revenue to pay for patrol time.   I suggest twice the total cost to fuel the offending boat using Marina prices, plus a $200 stupid tax to penalize jetskis.  Those Kaitens may not make much wake but need penalized on principal.      

I am right by Haulover Inlet on the ICW. In this small stretch there are patrols by FWC, Miami-Dade, North Miami Beach, Sunny Isles/Aventura, Bal Harbor and Indian Creek. The speeding ticket is around $400 - $450. There still more idiots speeding through the low speed and idle speed zones than the marine patrols can handle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please excuse my ignorance, but I left the US before the multi outboard motor thing happened.  

When you have multiple outboards are the throttle and trim controls just one control for each function for all of the motors, or are are they ganged like in multi-engine aircraft controls?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

When you have multiple outboards are the throttle and trim controls just one control for each function for all of the motors, or are are they ganged like in multi-engine aircraft controls?  

Silly wabbit.  Multi outboards are popular so you have the freedom to ignore engine maintenance until only one is left running. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

Manatees live in coastal waters, estuaries and rivers—which happens to be where there is a lot of boat traffic. They also feed on seagrasses that grow in sunny, shallow waters, meaning they spend a lot of time close to the surface, putting them more at risk for boat strikes. Collisions with boats remain the