Don't MoveTo Florida

In an old school 911, pre driver aids of any kind and well before the wide bodies, you weren’t really a Porsche driver unless you experienced exiting a corner tail first when the trailing throttle oversteer kicked in.  Never, ever take your foot off the accelerator if you overcooked a corner. Some opposite lock and a bit more throttle allowed you to scrub off some speed sideways at the expense of some tread. 

Water cooled 911’s retain a bit of the rear engine characteristics of old but with PASM and a big tire stagger, it’s just a hint of the old days. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes the local Letters To The Editor can be more amusing than sad: "So I'm driving down Midway and look to the left and there in a church parking lot is a pickup truck with a Confederate fla

In our more rural areas there are a lot of freely accessible groves, most of them with old trees and fruits. These have been outshadowed by modern "industrial" species and those are usually heavily sp

From Twitter: On behalf of the State of Florida, I apologize for Marco Rubio. And Rick Scott. And Matt Gaetz. And Greg Steube. And Ron DeSantis. But not Donald Trump. Until someone can prove h

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:
1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

In 50s Socal flip flops were call "go heads" if you were cool. 

Yep... I never got the meaning of the name though. 

Boothey tolde us aboute thisse, diddent explaine the name.                                 :)

I hate those things with a passion.

Why would you wear anything but huaraches when you live that close to Mexico and/or have so many living in the city - must be endless sources of the real thing.

Growing up in Hawaii they were called slippers, and you could get a rubber pair for a few bucks.  They were also good for many things.  Beating kids, killing cockroaches, mark your place in line somewhere., and....fun fact......when running if you take them off and put them on your hands you run faster!

Apparently here in FL they are called flip flops, and only the hispanic people use them for the above reasons.

Locals_Original_FlipFlop_Slipper_Sandal_0016_1350B_1_grande.jpg

23 minutes ago, Jkdubz808 said:

Growing up in Hawaii they were called slippers, and you could get a rubber pair for a few bucks.  They were also good for many things.  Beating kids, killing cockroaches, mark your place in line somewhere., and....fun fact......when running if you take them off and put them on your hands you run faster!

Apparently here in FL they are called flip flops, and only the hispanic people use them for the above reasons.

Locals_Original_FlipFlop_Slipper_Sandal_0016_1350B_1_grande.jpg

We called them "clompers" back when I was a kid.

6 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Boothey tolde us aboute thisse, diddent explaine the name.                                 :)

Try doing the Moonwalk in a pair of GoAheads.  They don't have reverse.

Saw a big box labeled "Go Aheads, $1.99" in a Hawaiian back-road convenience store a few years ago.  So that name is still around.

6 hours ago, Dorado said:

Only a chimp can walk backwards in Go'Heads.

or

3 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Try doing the Moonwalk in a pair of GoAheads.  They don't have reverse.

Saw a big box labeled "Go Aheads, $1.99" in a Hawaiian back-road convenience store a few years ago.  So that name is still around.

wiche is ritte?                                                   :)

22 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

I grew up calling flip flops zori's...Tabi socks were worn in Japanese homes on grass mat floors

I love the smell of tatami!

Apparently many people do.  I had a Japanese phrase book and one was for use when you saw a tatami shop.  It told you how to say in Japanese; "May I please come in and smell the tatami?"

• Like 2
On 3/1/2020 at 7:35 PM, Dorado said:

Only a chimp can walk backwards in Go'Heads.

Some of us chimps in FL are still wearing those OSHA approved Japanese safety boots...

FB_IMG_1583324544711.jpg

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

another name for them is "suicide shoes"

Last time ever I wore flip flops was 20 something years ago. I slipped on the wet flagstone by the front door and went down gashing the shit out of my knee.  Threw the shoes in the trash and never wore go-heads since that day.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Last time ever I wore flip flops was 20 something years ago. I slipped on the wet flagstone by the front door and went down gashing the shit out of my knee.  Threw the shoes in the trash and never wore go-heads since that day.

794.jpg

:)

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Fuck, I'd never live in Florida, it's too full of old people.

I hear the really old people live in St. Pete and their parents live next door in Tampa.  Or is it the opposite?

2 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

I hear the really old people live in St. Pete and their parents in nearby Tampa.  Or is it the opposite?

All of Florida as a whole is the more correct answer.

1 hour ago, BravoBravo said:

St Pete used to be "the land of the living dead"...or Gods waiting room....back in the SORC days....no longer . It ( St Pete) has transformed into a booming bustling young crowd waterfront town.  The old stereotype really does not exist any longer. It is too expensive for low budget elder snow birds living in old cheap seasonal rentals .   

Is the Ponce de Leon hotel still there. I loved that old elevator, the rooms not so much.

1 hour ago, BravoBravo said:

St Pete used to be "the land of the living dead"...or Gods waiting room....back in the SORC days....no longer . It ( St Pete) has transformed into a booming bustling young crowd waterfront town.  The old stereotype really does not exist any longer. It is too expensive for low budget elder snow birds living in old cheap seasonal rentals .   

I thick you meane St. Pete's Beache.                               :)

7 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

Damn bro, you never told me about that toy.

Son, that fuckin' toy belongs to an LSU graduate heart surgeon...it's his tailgate mobile...I'm just the silly prick charging his wife "heart surgeon rates" to put the louvres on the "carport" so it don't look like a "carport"...:lol:

1 hour ago, Grabbler said:

Son, that fuckin' toy belongs to an LSU graduate heart surgeon...it's his tailgate mobile...I'm just the silly prick charging his wife "heart surgeon rates" to put the louvres on the "carport" so it don't look like a "carport"...:lol:

Thats kinda what I figured :lol::lol:

Rigs like that aren't cheap.....

22 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

:D...yeah I told my wife recently dining out..."this place is full of old people"

You were dining at home outside on the deck?

Actually I may use your line this weekend if we BBQ at my house...  :-) 

On 3/4/2020 at 4:13 PM, billy backstay said:

I hear the really old people live in St. Pete and their parents live next door in Tampa.  Or is it the opposite?

St Pete actually rocks now.  Hell of a lot going on, great place to live and sail.  Bunch of condos well north of $1M (one sold for $6M).

Tampa (south and downtown) is still better.

The area around SPYC is fun.  Great town.  SPYC kinda reminds me of a Florida version of St Francis YC.  Way friendlier than Coral Reef YC over here on the atlantic side... 

NOISE: It has to be the worst state for noise, ie constant daily use of 2cyl weed wacker, lawn mowers , side walk trimmers and the worst leaf blowers , Leaf blowers are really stupid, they just keep blowing trimmings and dirt around and it never really goes any were, I watch one guy blowing against the wind for hours . Then you have motor cycles , they need loud pipes , why ? you only hear them after they pass you doing 90. or driving up and down the same street " look at me I'm an old fuck on a Harley,                             Then you have the noddle ladies all xxx#'s ( walking in the pool without moving ) screaming at each other across the pool about cousin vinny's medical problems! or that they ate a whole cake last night. Then the noise of trains, planes and power boats with 4-6 outboards on the back

Next Old Jersey drivers , watch an old guy with fat fingers trying to text and drive, then they go from right lane across 4 lanes to make a left only to realize they wanted to right all along, Today one stop in the middle of the road deciding which way to go, and the only choice was to make a right WTF

• Like 4
11 hours ago, garuda3 said:

NOISE: It has to be the worst state for noise, ie constant daily use of 2cyl weed wacker, lawn mowers , side walk trimmers and the worst leaf blowers , Leaf blowers are really stupid, they just keep blowing trimmings and dirt around and it never really goes any were, I watch one guy blowing against the wind for hours .

If you outlawe bloweres, onley outlawes wille haive them.                                           :)

• Like 3

The inability to grasp the concept of a zipper merge crosses over all age ranges.  

But not vehicle brands.

Florida also has those pesky toll roads.  They seem to pop up in all sorts of random places for random distances.  There has to be a logic to it somehow.

Fiddling for change and cash is a pain.  (yes I know about the pass)

On 3/4/2020 at 5:25 AM, Grabbler said:

Some of us chimps in FL are still wearing those OSHA approved Japanese safety boots...

FB_IMG_1583324544711.jpg

Damn, standing on the top rail of that frame is dangerous.

You should put a 5 gallon bucket on the plank and stand on that.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bmiller said:

Damn, standing on the top rail of that frame is dangerous.

You should put a 5 gallon bucket on the plank and stand on that.

Nah, he's just trying for a Darwin award!!

9 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

Florida also has decided circle intersections are a good idea, maybe in some places, but the diameter and volume need to be in proportion, that and PSA’s on the rules of the road entering and exiting a traffic circle need to be pounded into peoples heads 

Lets see a bunch of old Jerseyites in a traffic circle ,love to hear the google maps " turn left now, turn left now turn left now".                                                                                                  They could put bleachers and call it "The Daytona Forever "

NASCAR= Newark Adult Slow Cars Around Rotary

15 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:
22 minutes ago, garuda3 said:

Lets see a bunch of old Jerseyites in a traffic circle ,love to hear the google maps " turn left now, turn left now turn left now".                                                                                                  They could put bleachers and call it "The Daytona Forever "

LOL...I have encountered some converted intersections with very very tight circles...bumper cars....the police write up should be amusing as those in the accidents won't even know how it happened  

The NC highway department has a love affair with roundabouts/rotaries a few years back. Seems to have died down. To be effective, they need to take up a lot of land. And they need speed bumps in the entry lane, because a lot of people seem to think that entering at 65mph without looking is just fine. Probably the same people who enter the highway from the merge lane at 30 without looking

- DSK

1 hour ago, garuda3 said:

i remember my fav traffic circle incident..    lady wanting to make the right hand turn , sitting in the circle blocking traffic, as  she was waiting on cars on the main hey artery to pass by,   she almost had a full circle waiting on her,  including me, about 12 cars back...  there were gaps a semi could have gotten through, but i'm guessing she didn't want to see any cars on the hwy coming at her..    she had her driver's window down, so i rolled mine down and shouted at her,

"hey lady, what do you want? a written invitation"  as loud as i could..

she throws the car into park, storms out of her car to the one behind her and starts giving the befuddled guy, the 10th degree..   all the other cars are laughing their asses off..

when she was done, she storms back to her car, throws it in drive and the very next gap,  probably 10x smaller than she let go by,  she stomps on the gas and shoots across..

thank god there wasn't an accident..

• Like 1
10 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

Florida also has decided circle intersections are a good idea, maybe in some places, but the diameter and volume need to be in proportion, that and PSA’s on the rules of the road entering and exiting a traffic circle need to be pounded into peoples heads 

In Stuart we have the roundabout from hell. Weird exits, two lanes deep. Locals call it confusion corner. You can definitely tell the locals from the snowbirds. 

I have been home for one fucking day, and already had two near misses with snowbirds.....

You have to be a pretty fucking incompetent driver to not be able to get around a roundabout.

They put big planters on most of them here - if they don't a lot of morons drive up & over them. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
19 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Nah, he's just trying for a Darwin award!!

Might as well pack up your bowman credentials and send them back to the authorities...:lol:

2 minutes ago, Grabbler said:

Might as well pack up your bowman credentials and send them back to the authorities...:lol:

I gave my bowman credentials up after a totally torn left bicep tendon, and a torn up right rotator cuff.  I only pull strings in the cockpit now, or drive the bus....

10 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

In Stuart we have the roundabout from hell. Weird exits, two lanes deep. Locals call it confusion corner. You can definitely tell the locals from the snowbirds. 

Just be glad we haven't gone the Brit way...

Screen-Shot-2016-08-02-at-4.35.47-PM-3.j

46 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Unfortunately there are more ign'nt Mrrcans than not......

And they appear to be breeding like rabbits.  

2 hours ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

Just be glad we haven't gone the Brit way...

Screen-Shot-2016-08-02-at-4.35.47-PM-3.j

Is this some photoshop fantasy?

Roundabouts packed, and no cars on any feeder roads.

All the pedestrians make it look like some DMV test though.

2 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

No way that is real.

My mother did drive straight through one we have on the island. She can't do that anymore, they put bushes in the middle of it :lol:

Plenty of Youtube gold to watch of people blasting over roundabouts.   Sort of a quandary.  Put in big rocks and statues, people die.  Bushes and berms = impressive launches.  

Perhaps a sand pit would be best.  If you can keep the cats out.

5 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

I never gave Picadilly Circus a second thought til I saw it and snapped on what that meant.

A tough drive:

Fly all night, arrive at Heathrow 0600 local time, pre GPS days, and grab a rental to fight your way through London traffic to get to Scotland. Good thing the sun was still low so I had a sense of direction :rolleyes:

Note to UK road sign makers: Cambridge this way Oxford that way or similar only helps those who have a good idea where those places are in relation to where you want to go.

It could be worse. Everywhere in the world - except France - traffic entering a roundabout yields to cars already in it.

I leave it to you to guess how the French do it.

Something that drives me nuts at roundabouts is people who stop in them while they figure out where to go - instead of circling until they figure it out.

• Like 1

Noosa is the spiritual home of the roundabout in Australia.  About a year ago I noticed an extraordinary number of vehicles stopping before entering the roundabouts - guess what?  The Queensland driving instructors are teaching them to do that!

8 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Note to UK road sign makers: Cambridge this way Oxford that way or similar only helps those who have a good idea where those places are in relation to where you want to go.

Pretty much the same in all of Europe.  I have been driving all around here for many years and I don't think I have ever seen a the words north, south, east, or west on any road sign unless it was in the name of the town that the sign was pointing to.  

I can't for the life of me figure out why they don't use cardinal points on signs.  The only reason I heard that made sense was the French started not using them to confuse the Germans if they ever invaded again, and the rest of Europe thought it was a good idea.

The upside is I have learned a lot about European geography, and I have seen some interesting things while I was temporarily lost.  Or as I would tell my daughter while desperately trying to find the right road, "Were not lost honey, I know we are in Europe, I am just a little misguided right now, that's all."

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Windward said:

Is this some photoshop fantasy?

Roundabouts packed, and no cars on any feeder roads.

All the pedestrians make it look like some DMV test though.

I got the pic from a Wired article and am not sure if it's a photo or a photoshop, but it is a real place and really does have counter-rotating roundabout rings with mini-roundabouts built in.

The Magic Roundabout in Swindon, England

9 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Pretty much the same in all of Europe.  I have been driving all around here for many years and I don't think I have ever seen a the words north, south, east, or west on any road sign unless it was in the name of the town that the sign was pointing to.  

I can't for the life of me figure out why they don't use cardinal points on signs.  The only reason I heard that made sense was the French started not using them to confuse the Germans if they ever invaded again, and the rest of Europe thought it was a good idea.

The upside is I have learned a lot about European geography, and I have seen some interesting things while I was temporarily lost.  Or as I would tell my daughter while desperately trying to find the right road, "Were not lost honey, I know we are in Europe, I am just a little misguided right now, that's all."

"Right Now"?

I don't buy the French signage story - the first thing in war is to take down all the road signs. Or move them around to confuse things.

24 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

"Right Now"?

I don't buy the French signage story - the first thing in war is to take down all the road signs. Or move them around to confuse things.

Jebus dude, it probably wasn't ever true, it's just funny.

17 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Jebus dude, it probably wasn't ever true, it's just funny.

I agree - that "Right Now" was very amusing. ;)

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

I agree - that "Right Now" was very amusing. ;)

Took me a few minutes but now I figured it out.  [insert belly laugh here]  Are you happy now?  :P

• Like 1
On 3/6/2020 at 11:53 AM, garuda3 said:

:-):-)

6 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

if they only alter it a little for the rednecks too..

I believe the term is "crackers." You know, the locals. 

BITD, a lotta folks drove around with a front license plate reading, "Native" over a the state outline.

My fave was one old bird with a white PU with a mimic plate that read "Who Cares?"

'Course I'm from Hermosa Beach where cool began early in 1942.

On 3/8/2020 at 8:01 AM, Ed Lada said:

Or "exploring".

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Florida crackers

Those were the old cowboys that herded the cows down to Ft. FatGrifter to be shipped to Cuba, cracking the whip the whole way

(Helpful edit supplied). A great book about the real crackers is A Land Remembered by Patrick D Smith

• Like 1
On 3/7/2020 at 11:15 AM, kent_island_sailor said:

Funny thing is watching USAians in a UK roundabout. Our first instinct is to be over on the left side of the road - but going the wrong way round :o

* I actually did that one night in Edinburgh, but no one else was around.

The first half-day, I have to be real careful driving on the right, making a conscious effort to NOT go in thru the out door.  

22 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Florida school defends handcuffing seven-year-old boy with special needs

Mother criticizes school after boy is restrained and taken to a mental health facility

Fred Rodgers is spinning in his grave....   

What's her problem?

They didn't use a Tasar on him did they?

3 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

The first half-day, I have to be real careful driving on the right, making a conscious effort to NOT go in thru the out door.  

The funny thing is my GF has been driving in the US for over a decade, and probably hasn't driven in Japan for years.   When she rode a bicycle for the first time in decades she habitually chose the left side of the road after every turn.    

• Like 1