Don't MoveTo Florida

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In our more rural areas there are a lot of freely accessible groves, most of them with old trees and fruits. These have been outshadowed by modern "industrial" species and those are usually heavily sp

I'm reading Scott Turow's The Last Trial.  In it one of the main characters, a defense attorney (Stern), has to interview a witness for the prosecution who lives in Naples, FL. "In the last two d

From Twitter: On behalf of the State of Florida, I apologize for Marco Rubio. And Rick Scott. And Matt Gaetz. And Greg Steube. And Ron DeSantis. But not Donald Trump. Until someone can prove h

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

Just be glad we haven't gone the Brit way...

Screen-Shot-2016-08-02-at-4.35.47-PM-3.j

Is this some photoshop fantasy?

Roundabouts packed, and no cars on any feeder roads.

All the pedestrians make it look like some DMV test though.

2 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

No way that is real.

My mother did drive straight through one we have on the island. She can't do that anymore, they put bushes in the middle of it :lol:

Plenty of Youtube gold to watch of people blasting over roundabouts.   Sort of a quandary.  Put in big rocks and statues, people die.  Bushes and berms = impressive launches.  

Perhaps a sand pit would be best.  If you can keep the cats out.

8 hours ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

Just be glad we haven't gone the Brit way...

Screen-Shot-2016-08-02-at-4.35.47-PM-3.j

Why am I thinking of a Tesla self driving car...and the Kingston Trio's song MTA  :lol:

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

I never gave Picadilly Circus a second thought til I saw it and snapped on what that meant.

A tough drive:

Fly all night, arrive at Heathrow 0600 local time, pre GPS days, and grab a rental to fight your way through London traffic to get to Scotland. Good thing the sun was still low so I had a sense of direction :rolleyes:

Note to UK road sign makers: Cambridge this way Oxford that way or similar only helps those who have a good idea where those places are in relation to where you want to go.

It could be worse. Everywhere in the world - except France - traffic entering a roundabout yields to cars already in it.

I leave it to you to guess how the French do it.

Something that drives me nuts at roundabouts is people who stop in them while they figure out where to go - instead of circling until they figure it out.

• Like 1

Noosa is the spiritual home of the roundabout in Australia.  About a year ago I noticed an extraordinary number of vehicles stopping before entering the roundabouts - guess what?  The Queensland driving instructors are teaching them to do that!

8 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Note to UK road sign makers: Cambridge this way Oxford that way or similar only helps those who have a good idea where those places are in relation to where you want to go.

Pretty much the same in all of Europe.  I have been driving all around here for many years and I don't think I have ever seen a the words north, south, east, or west on any road sign unless it was in the name of the town that the sign was pointing to.  

I can't for the life of me figure out why they don't use cardinal points on signs.  The only reason I heard that made sense was the French started not using them to confuse the Germans if they ever invaded again, and the rest of Europe thought it was a good idea.

The upside is I have learned a lot about European geography, and I have seen some interesting things while I was temporarily lost.  Or as I would tell my daughter while desperately trying to find the right road, "Were not lost honey, I know we are in Europe, I am just a little misguided right now, that's all."

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Windward said:

Is this some photoshop fantasy?

Roundabouts packed, and no cars on any feeder roads.

All the pedestrians make it look like some DMV test though.

I got the pic from a Wired article and am not sure if it's a photo or a photoshop, but it is a real place and really does have counter-rotating roundabout rings with mini-roundabouts built in.

The Magic Roundabout in Swindon, England

9 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Pretty much the same in all of Europe.  I have been driving all around here for many years and I don't think I have ever seen a the words north, south, east, or west on any road sign unless it was in the name of the town that the sign was pointing to.  

I can't for the life of me figure out why they don't use cardinal points on signs.  The only reason I heard that made sense was the French started not using them to confuse the Germans if they ever invaded again, and the rest of Europe thought it was a good idea.

The upside is I have learned a lot about European geography, and I have seen some interesting things while I was temporarily lost.  Or as I would tell my daughter while desperately trying to find the right road, "Were not lost honey, I know we are in Europe, I am just a little misguided right now, that's all."

"Right Now"?

I don't buy the French signage story - the first thing in war is to take down all the road signs. Or move them around to confuse things.

24 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

"Right Now"?

I don't buy the French signage story - the first thing in war is to take down all the road signs. Or move them around to confuse things.

Jebus dude, it probably wasn't ever true, it's just funny.

17 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Jebus dude, it probably wasn't ever true, it's just funny.

I agree - that "Right Now" was very amusing. ;)

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

I agree - that "Right Now" was very amusing. ;)

Took me a few minutes but now I figured it out.  [insert belly laugh here]  Are you happy now?  :P

• Like 1
On 3/6/2020 at 11:53 AM, garuda3 said:

Lets see a bunch of old Jerseyites in a traffic circle ,love to hear the google maps " turn left now, turn left now turn left now".                                                                                                  They could put bleachers and call it "The Daytona Forever "

NASCAR= Newark Adult Slow Cars Around Rotary

:-):-)

6 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

if they only alter it a little for the rednecks too..

I believe the term is "crackers." You know, the locals. 

BITD, a lotta folks drove around with a front license plate reading, "Native" over a the state outline.

My fave was one old bird with a white PU with a mimic plate that read "Who Cares?"

'Course I'm from Hermosa Beach where cool began early in 1942.

On 3/8/2020 at 8:01 AM, Ed Lada said:

Or "exploring".

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Florida crackers

Those were the old cowboys that herded the cows down to Ft. FatGrifter to be shipped to Cuba, cracking the whip the whole way

(Helpful edit supplied). A great book about the real crackers is A Land Remembered by Patrick D Smith

• Like 1
On 3/7/2020 at 11:15 AM, kent_island_sailor said:

Funny thing is watching USAians in a UK roundabout. Our first instinct is to be over on the left side of the road - but going the wrong way round :o

* I actually did that one night in Edinburgh, but no one else was around.

The first half-day, I have to be real careful driving on the right, making a conscious effort to NOT go in thru the out door.  

22 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Florida school defends handcuffing seven-year-old boy with special needs

Mother criticizes school after boy is restrained and taken to a mental health facility

Fred Rodgers is spinning in his grave....   

What's her problem?

They didn't use a Tasar on him did they?

3 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

The first half-day, I have to be real careful driving on the right, making a conscious effort to NOT go in thru the out door.  

The funny thing is my GF has been driving in the US for over a decade, and probably hasn't driven in Japan for years.   When she rode a bicycle for the first time in decades she habitually chose the left side of the road after every turn.    

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dorado said:

Hair turned blue  ?

Ain’t a cotton top yet!

But, I was down West Coast FL in January and looking at real estate in Ft. Lauderdale so I can start being a snowbird

On 3/14/2020 at 8:34 AM, Sail4beer said:

Time for me to look into real estate down there

Enjoy Ft. Laudy.  Traffic congestions, high cost of living, people can be dicks....a lot like jersey.  You'll feel right at home :lol:

4 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

not right now, and probably not as bad as before for a few good years

Yeah that’s true right now. We’re not really going anywhere since the newest little sailor is only 5 days old. But when we do it’s def not like it was before. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

congrats to you!

Thank you my friend. I’m assuming with all this going on the regatta traveling is a little less for you. Not sure if you were down here for the J/24 midwinters, but that was great. The weather was nice and the wind was good. I didn’t race but I poked my head into the YC a few times. 

On 3/17/2020 at 7:07 PM, Jkdubz808 said:

Yeah that’s true right now. We’re not really going anywhere since the newest little sailor is only 5 days old. But when we do it’s def not like it was before. 

Dubster or Dubette ?

On 3/17/2020 at 10:07 PM, Jkdubz808 said:

Congrats - new babies are great!  ( especially as a grandparent, 'cause I don't have to do the 0200 and 0400 diaper changes!) 

On 3/17/2020 at 10:07 PM, Jkdubz808 said:

Disease issues aside - don't let that stop you. My son was a few weeks old when he went on his first cruise. I think we were out 3 or 4 days. Congrats! :D

Florida Corona virus tracker....dingbat New Yorkers are fleeing and bringing it with them, the Governor has requested them to self isolate...good luck with dat

https://www.fox13news.com/track-florida-coronavirus-cases-by-county-with-this-interactive-map

30 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Na it's been deep in FL for more than a month already.  That's why Ronnie D is making sure there aint a lot of testing

I saw a stat ,in our county 204 tests , 174 non CV....so a whole bunch of folks are freaking out and abusing the resource ...blah..blah..seriously the confirmed cases in Florida are just beginning the exponential growth phase...and I'll be cutting way back on my  daily forays 

3 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

So around 13% of your population may be infected or is that just really sick people?

Of the 204 tested , 174 were not CV...30  were Dx with  CV with one death last week

2 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

Of the 204 tested , 174 were not CV...30  were Dx with  CV with one death last week

Do you have any idea what the criteria is for being tested in your area?  Is it limited to people with symptoms or do you just have to show them a pic of the patient standing next to a dead alligator to get yours?  

5 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Do you have any idea what the criteria is for being tested in your area?  Is it limited to people with symptoms or do you just have to show them a pic of the patient standing next to a dead alligator to get yours?  

I think they are fairly strict from my understanding ,you must be screened verbally first and then assigned a slot in the screening process, but my guess is folks know the profile of those allowed to be tested .

https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20200325/coronavirus-florida-drive-thru-testing-starting-thursday-in-manatee

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Na it's been deep in FL for more than a month already.  That's why Ronnie D is making sure there aint a lot of testing

In Charlotte, FL (average age 68) there are 3 confirmed cases.  But they only tested 4 people.  Everyone else refuses to come out of their homes. B)

Florida was labeled a disaster area due to the virus (needed to be done to get additional funds from Washington, I know) and yet DeSantis still won’t issue a statewide lockdown.  

5 hours ago, Jules said:

In Charlotte, FL (average age 68) there are 3 confirmed cases.  But they only tested 4 people.  Everyone else refuses to come out of their homes. B)

So you got 75% on that. :D

13 hours ago, Jules said:

Woman walked into the store on Monday (late 70's)  Me: May I help you?  Her: No, I'm just looking, I've  never been in your store before.  

Old fuck wearing a mask wanted the battery changed in his thermometer.  Me: NO, you do it.

I've got a year before reaching the average age.

How did those folks live that long?

4 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Woman walked into the store on Monday (late 70's)  Me: May I help you?  Her: No, I'm just looking, I've  never been in your store before.  

Old fuck wearing a mask wanted the battery changed in his thermometer.  Me: NO, you do it.

Old Friends

Old friends, old friends
Sat on their park bench like bookends
A newspaper blown through the grass
Falls on the round toes
Of the high shoes of the old friends

Old friends, winter companions, the old men
Lost in their overcoats, waiting for the sunset
The sounds of the city sifting through trees
Settles like dust on the shoulders of the old friends

Can you imagine us years from today
Sharing a park bench quietly
How terribly strange to be seventy

Old friends, memory brushes the same years
Silently sharing the same fears

For non-commercial use only.
Data from: LyricFind
7 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

That is one of the great mysteries of life.

How do 1/2 of them ever get past their 20's?

2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Old Friends

Old friends, old friends
Sat on their park bench like bookends
A newspaper blown through the grass
Falls on the round toes
Of the high shoes of the old friends

Old friends, winter companions, the old men
Lost in their overcoats, waiting for the sunset
The sounds of the city sifting through trees
Settles like dust on the shoulders of the old friends

Can you imagine us years from today
Sharing a park bench quietly
How terribly strange to be seventy

Old friends, memory brushes the same years
Silently sharing the same fears

For non-commercial use only.
Data from: LyricFind

That's pretty fuckin' gloomy.

9 hours ago, Dorado said:

Nice 

That's one less wedding and one more wrecked car you'll have to pay for. :)

Haha yeah, I’m sure there will be a few of those knowing my boys. 

1 minute ago, Jkdubz808 said:
9 hours ago, Dorado said:

Nice 

That's one less wedding and one more wrecked car you'll have to pay for. :)

Haha yeah, I’m sure there will be a few of those knowing my boys. 

Eazey or troubelling life is pricelesse, congratz brothere!         :)

Here's some other reasons not to move to Florida, that is if you will be working for someone else.

• In Rick Scott's first year as governor, he capped unemployment benefits at 12 weeks, the shortest period in the country.
  • Twenty years ago, Florida froze unemployment benefits at $275/wk, where it still is today.
  • You have to apply online so those w/o Internet access need to go to the library or some other public place to file, most of which are closed now.
  • The state's minimum wage for 2020 is $8.56/hr.  Up a whopping 10 cents from the previous year.
  • But on a positive note, the state has over $4 billion in it's unemployment coffers, largely due to the fact it's so fucking stingy with helping its workers.
25 minutes ago, Jules said:

Here's some other reasons not to move to Florida, that is if you will be working for someone else.

• In Rick Scott's first year as governor, he capped unemployment benefits at 12 weeks, the shortest period in the country.
  • Twenty years ago, Florida froze unemployment benefits at $275/wk, where it still is today.
  • You have to apply online so those w/o Internet access need to go to the library or some other public place to file, most of which are closed now.
  • The state's minimum wage for 2020 is $8.56/hr.  Up a whopping 10 cents from the previous year.
  • But on a positive note, the state has over $4 billion in it's unemployment coffers, largely due to the fact it's so fucking stingy with helping its workers.

A well managed state !

• Downvote 1
1 hour ago, Jules said:

I know we are chatting about state levels, but here at the local city level the governance is yearly trying to "raid" well managed programs to fill the coffers. 

How FL has managed to keep their sticky fingers out of a $4B pot is impressive from a certain perspective.

So bravo to whomever managed to draft the language to keep the greedy buggers at bay.

Just looking for the ray of sunshine here...  Carry on.

18 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

That will be the epicentre of death in 10 days. Heckofajob Scottie!

Not surprising with all the direct flights from NYC (hot zone )

and NOLA (hot zone ) a short drive away. They are screening arriving NYC passengers at airports and "telling them " so self quarantine for 14 days after collecting contact info for where they'll be staying. Florida HP is stopping all cars with Louisiana and NY plates and doing the same.  

9 minutes ago, Windward said:

How FL has managed to keep their sticky fingers out of a $4B pot is impressive from a certain perspective.

Just what I was thinking when I read the article.  But we are talking about "reported" numbers.  :unsure:

13 minutes ago, Windward said:

I know we are chatting about state levels, but here at the local city level the governance is yearly trying to "raid" well managed programs to fill the coffers. 

How FL has managed to keep their sticky fingers out of a $4B pot is impressive from a certain perspective.So bravo to whomever managed to draft the language to keep the greedy buggers at bay.

Just looking for the ray of sunshine here...  Carry on.

greedy buggers are always complaining  that Florida (enter whichever public servant agency) is paid so much less than national average) as sympathy bait for loinfomo voters...of course the public servants always vote in lockstep for more....and the irony that those transplants (Jules) they fled the high cost of living (TAXES) voting higher tax shit here...I am lucky to have fully enjoyed all of Florida's natural beauty both on land and water before it was over run...accelerating dismal future for this state as there are very few natural barriers from building on every square foot of flat earth  

Everglades drain.jpg

35 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

Not surprising with all the direct flights from NYC (hot zone )

florida is responsible for 90% of the midwest's infections now.  Spring break was awesome.

8 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

florida is responsible for 90% of the midwest's infections now.  Spring break was awesome.

LOL....typical backwards twisted implication...loinfomo's eat dat shit up

3 hours ago, Jules said:

Florida has been notorious for its low pay as long as I can remember - and that is a woefully long time.

A writeup years ago on the Tampa Bay boat builders commented that the climate was regarded as 50% of their compensation.

13 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Florida has been notorious for its low pay as long as I can remember - and that is a woefully long time.

A writeup years ago on the Tampa Bay boat builders commented that the climate was regarded as 50% of their compensation.

the Florida's cost of living has always been in balance with the pay scale

46 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

LOL....typical backwards twisted implication...loinfomo's eat dat shit up

Did you miss the cell phone video?  Or is that just more hysteria and a media hoax? Florida is the largest source of new infections.  Or did you fucking cretins not realize the people on the beaches were from everywhere when you kept them open?  Fucking criminal.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Did you miss the cell phone video?  Or is that just more hysteria and a media hoax? Florida is the largest source of new infections.  Or did you fucking cretins not realize the people on the beaches were from everywhere when you kept them open?  Fucking criminal.

can't fix stupid....they were sent home to whichever liberal state campuses they came from...all the local taxpayers got the message

anklecl.jpg

On 3/27/2020 at 2:58 AM, Fat Point Jack said:

Are you that clueless or smug?  How did you find your way out of the womb?  

Just you wait, Peachfuzz.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

can't fix stupid....they were sent home to whichever liberal state campuses they came from...all the local taxpayers got the message

Ah so you have not watched the video.  That explains it.