Don't MoveTo Florida

6 minutes ago, Windward said:

Such a harsh sentence... he should hire Clean to appeal.

Our you tryeng to gette Cleane bande to?  Hese gotte a youngue childe, helle neede accesse foure a fiew morre yeares.............                                 :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In our more rural areas there are a lot of freely accessible groves, most of them with old trees and fruits. These have been outshadowed by modern "industrial" species and those are usually heavily sp

Sometimes the local Letters To The Editor can be more amusing than sad: "So I'm driving down Midway and look to the left and there in a church parking lot is a pickup truck with a Confederate fla

Yeah this. We used to have 'free campers' coming and staying a day or 2 on private land outside our back gate and on a line to our access to the waterfront. One day we got a mouthful about going throu

Posted Images

The border checkpoint coming into the state was a joke:

Masked good Samaritan helping FHP by asking the questions to every motorist: Hello, have you been to NY, California, New Jersey, washington or Louisiana in the last two weeks?

Me: Nope

Masked person: Ok thank you, go ahead.

I was in a rental car with Maryland plates.  They didn't even ask to see my license.

oops. 

Dad said I could take the boat out.  I put the engine on the back, right where it is supposed to go.

I'ts not my fault!

least we forget , the biggest parasite in Florida , HOA's 

they tell you the color to paint your condo/house, type and condition of car you can own, who you can married or who your wife is, The size and type of pet you can own, and you don't pay them for the right to live there, they'll take your house/condo.............from you!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

they tell you the color to paint your condo/house, type and condition of car you can own, who you can married or who your wife is, The size and type of pet you can own, and you don't pay them for the right to live there, they'll take your house/condo.............from you!

Not limited to FL, but while the concept of a HOA is generally sound, the implementation is for the most part dreadful.   

We as a species can barely coexist with others of our elk.   Fences make better neighbors , fish and house guests, and all that.  No...  we fundamentally don't like each other for longer durations of time.

I hate HOA's.  

YMMV.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

You read the agreement going in right? Why bitch now?

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Dr. Blue Crab said:

When we were looking to buy here, anyplace with an HOA was immediately rejected, not only due to the loss of control over the home you own but those places are so BORING! 

We play golf at one course that's in a gated community.  Immediately upon entering you think you've gone color blind.  It's a beige, beige world.  And all the houses look the same.  It's like they have a xenophobia of the residential variety.   

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Jules said:

When we were looking to buy here, anyplace with an HOA was immediately rejected, not only due to the loss of control over the home you own but those places are so BORING! 

We play golf at one course that's in a gated community.  Immediately upon entering you think you've gone color blind.  It's a beige, beige world.  And all the houses look the same.  It's like they have a xenophobia of the residential variety.   

You moved to PGI to avoid BORING?

Ummm... swing and a miss.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dr. Blue Crab said:

how you doing with Arthur?

It was an off the hand bitch, some HOA are ok , some if you park on the white line you get a fine, I've been pretty luck so far , I mostly rent until  this year.

Actually the worst ,seem to be with a lot of snow birds, as they come down and want there paradise totally manicured, and everything perfect, The Jersey types are the worst, talk about Invasive  species, 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cacoethesic Tom said:

Are you liking Allegiant "distancing" themselves from the Sunseeker build?

https://www.yoursun.com/charlotte/news/allegiant-starts-to-distance-itself-from-sunseeker/article_f331b984-9921-11ea-9c50-336252cd1c76.html

I had a snarky letter ready to go to the editor, but I have to wait a month because I sent an even snarkier one to him the other day.  Here's the summary.

Murphy's Law and the cranes over 41.

Neil Young's "Rust Never Sleeps", exposed rebar in brackish environs.

A car was in the fence, who's going to fix the road markings?

With enough sea level rise, it'll be a great artificial reef.

And none of the commissioners got an opponent. 

1 hour ago, Not for nothing said:

It was an off the hand bitch, some HOA are ok , some if you park on the white line you get a fine, I've been pretty luck so far , I mostly rent until  this year.

Actually the worst ,seem to be with a lot of snow birds, as they come down and want there paradise totally manicured, and everything perfect, The Jersey types are the worst, talk about Invasive  species, 

Ran into that way back in Coral Gables. 

Arthur was lotta rain, wind to 60 tho I only saw 40. Now that I'm boatless, I find I don't give a whole small rat's ass about tropical storms. Down to my kayak. Maybe that will be enough. I have FWB.

Jerseyites are disliked here in NC as well. Ran into a commercial diver, Catfish Something, traveled with a really heavy duty equipment truck. This guy was the real deal. Business card said: "Anything, Anywhere except New Jersey".

1 hour ago, Not for nothing said:

My brother has been living in NJ since the '80s.  He wasn't great to be around as a Pennsylvanian, but he's gotten downright intolerable after more than 30 years in New Jersey. 

Yes, he has owned several BMWs.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Dr. Blue Crab said:

Ran into that way back in Coral Gables. 

Arthur was lotta rain, wind to 60 tho I only saw 40. Now that I'm boatless, I find I don't give a whole small rat's ass about tropical storms. Down to my kayak. Maybe that will be enough. I have FWB.

Jerseyites are disliked here in NC as well. Ran into a commercial diver, Catfish Something, traveled with a really heavy duty equipment truck. This guy was the real deal. Business card said: "Anything, Anywhere except New Jersey".

got  into kayaking down here, saw a 10' gator and babies at Riverbend while kayaking, rather be with her ( gator) then most jerseyites at least you know where there ( gator) coming from and they most eat little dogs

3 hours ago, Jules said:

My Bro just bought into one of those corporate gated subdivisions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_FB9bwyp6M

Except they are all shit colored brown.

3 hours ago, Cacoethesic Tom said:
3 hours ago, Jules said:

You moved to PGI to avoid BORING? And play golf???

3 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

I had a snarky letter ready to go to the editor, but I have to wait a month because I sent an even snarkier one to him the other day.  Here's the summary.

Murphy's Law and the cranes over 41.

Neil Young's "Rust Never Sleeps", exposed rebar in brackish environs.

A car was in the fence, who's going to fix the road markings?

With enough sea level rise, it'll be a great artificial reef.

And none of the commissioners got an opponent.

They say they only post one letter per person per month but that's bullshit.

I've had more than one person ask me if those cranes hanging over 41 are dangerous.  In the 35 years working in construction, I never saw one come down.  But if they are swinging the loads out over the road, well, that's another story.

People don't believe in sea level rise in FL.  Look at Miami.  The streets now flood during king tides and they are still selling waterfront real estate.  Water could be lapping up at our seawalls and people would still buy here. 

And almost no one here gets an opponent.   All you have to do is put an (R) after your name and you're in.  But it helps if get your little kid to build a wall out of cardboard blocks for the president.

8 hours ago, Cacoethesic Tom said:

Actually I got tired of shoveling snow.  It didn't take long before I realized shoveling snow is a small price to pay for living in a land where intelligence and culture are aplenty.

5 minutes ago, Jules said:

Actually I got tired of shoveling snow.  It didn't take long before I realized shoveling snow is a small price to pay for living in a land where intelligence and culture are aplenty.

And besides - there's all those teenage boys you can hire to do it.

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

And besides - there's all those teenage boys you can hire to do it.

Teenage boys?  You want something done around here and there's a line of old men out the door waiting to go to work.  This is the place where retirees go to get the best deal on white slave labor.  It's the Republican way.

16 hours ago, Jules said:
18 hours ago, Cacoethesic Tom said:

Are you liking Allegiant "distancing" themselves from the Sunseeker build?

No, but not sure what that has to do with my post?

9 hours ago, Jules said:
18 hours ago, Cacoethesic Tom said:

Leaving would probably be more effective than whining at solving this problem. Next time, look before you leap!

20 minutes ago, Dr. Blue Crab said:

That's pronounced differently than spelled.

Ship High In Transient     , think I spelled it shit right ?                      

IMG_5116.JPG

They should have posted this at the GA/Fl border , to keep all the Jerseyites out,

Oh by the way there's real aminals down here "GATORS" that love to eat your little rat dogs,

• Like 2
On 5/20/2020 at 5:25 AM, Cacoethesic Tom said:

No, but not sure what that has to do with my post?

Leaving would probably be more effective than whining at solving this problem. Next time, look before you leap!

Moving is like getting married.  You never really get to know them until you live with them.

On 5/23/2020 at 8:50 AM, Jkdubz808 said:

D89B0253-E317-4595-BAF4-A8A5F90682D2.jpeg

The real National Capital, Key West is missing.  You have to get the Emperor's birthplace on that map - Pascagoula, MS - and give it some honorary label.  Cabbage Key in Florida needs to be in there.  It's where the Emperor met the perfect cheeseburger, a piano and a cold beer after a day of fishing.

While we're at it, we need to annex the west end of Cuba to make it complete.  Then every year have a bar hopping sailboat race around the loop, where the winner(s) are determined by how many drinks you stopped to have along the way.

• Like 1

not sure if this has been mentioned weather , #1 lighting , #1huricanes,  5th tornado's , rainest cities,  #2 miami ,fl.

image.jpeg.df379d97a5b5889e53b83e64787e22ac.jpeg

Florida. Florida leads as the most lightning-prone state in the country, as it experiences an average 25.3 lightning strikes for every square mile. The state witnesses an average of 1.45 million lightning strikes each year, the highest in the country.Aug 29, 2018
Sep 11, 2017 - Counting Irma, Florida has now sustained 117 direct hits by hurricanes in recorded history -- far more than any other US state, according to NOAA. That's almost twice as many major storms as have hit the runner-up, Texas. Louisiana is third in hurricane landfalls, followed by North Carolina and South Carolina.
Average number of days a year with 1 inch (25 millimetres) or more of rainfall
City Days
New Orleans, Louisiana 19.6
Miami, Florida 18.6
Memphis, Tennessee 17.4
Birmingham, Alabama 16.2
Jacksonville, Florida 15.6
Houston, Texas 15.1
Orlando, Florida 15.0
Atlanta, Georgia 14.6
Tampa, Florida 14.2

I just found out a good friend went all in, bought a nice big house in Ft Myers and a big ass motor yacht.

He's selling everything and moving down there. 

We'll see if he turns into "Florida man".

My cousin sent me some pics from 1965 that she came across in my deceased aunt's stuff. This is a house in "Stiltsville" in Biscayne Bay that still stands today, or did last I looked. You're not allowed to build them any more and only "cosmetic" repairs are allowed, not structural ones. So there have been some cosmetic beams and pilings and stuff added to most over the years.

StiltsvilleMiningHouse.jpg

And now for the Olde Style Florida Man content...

StiltsvilleSubmersible.jpg

DaFuk is that anyway? And would you get in it? My aunt did, but apparently only for a photo op.

On 5/27/2020 at 10:07 PM, Not for nothing said:

not sure if this has been mentioned weather , #1 lighting , #1huricanes,  5th tornado's , rainest cities,  #2 miami ,fl.

image.jpeg.df379d97a5b5889e53b83e64787e22ac.jpeg

Florida. Florida leads as the most lightning-prone state in the country, as it experiences an average 25.3 lightning strikes for every square mile. The state witnesses an average of 1.45 million lightning strikes each year, the highest in the country.Aug 29, 2018
Sep 11, 2017 - Counting Irma, Florida has now sustained 117 direct hits by hurricanes in recorded history -- far more than any other US state, according to NOAA. That's almost twice as many major storms as have hit the runner-up, Texas. Louisiana is third in hurricane landfalls, followed by North Carolina and South Carolina.
Average number of days a year with 1 inch (25 millimetres) or more of rainfall
City Days
New Orleans, Louisiana 19.6
Miami, Florida 18.6
Memphis, Tennessee 17.4
Birmingham, Alabama 16.2
Jacksonville, Florida 15.6
Houston, Texas 15.1
Orlando, Florida 15.0
Atlanta, Georgia 14.6
Tampa, Florida 14.2

You would think this would be enough to keep people away but noooo they just keep coming.

I am most fortunate to have friends that own the fish shacks down in Pine Island Sound and the fish camps in Bull Bay.  

What goes on down the bay, stays down the bay.

They were able to be rebuilt after Charley.  It helps to have a land use attorney aboard.

I've seen a similar kind of sub a long time ago.  Pulled by a boat?.  

4 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

I've seen a similar kind of sub a long time ago.  Pulled by a boat?.  

It appears to have bow and stern propellers. I don't know a thing about it. I've seen a pic of my aunt in it and the pic I showed and that's it. My cousin says that the mining guys were friends of her parents but that's about all she knows. My aunt and uncle are both dead so we can't ask them.

Towing the contraband alcohol during prohibition was a thing under boats between Canada and the US in many parts.  The PNW in particular.  Just cut it loose if you get busted.

Perhaps the propellers was for the last mile delivery for the sub from Columbia to Florida?

6 hours ago, Windward said:

Towing the contraband alcohol during prohibition was a thing under boats between Canada and the US in many parts.  The PNW in particular.  Just cut it loose if you get busted.

Perhaps the propellers was for the last mile delivery for the sub from Columbia to Florida?

Pics are from 1965. I don't think that submarine smuggling was a thing then.

1 minute ago, Cacoethesic Tom said:
6 hours ago, Windward said:

Pics are from 1965. I don't think that submarine smuggling was a thing then.

Coude of beene leftovere from prohibisione as sugguested, mabey smugling cubanos inthat time frame.                   Whose to saye.                                    :)

2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Coude of beene leftovere from prohibisione as sugguested, mabey smugling cubanos inthat time frame.                   Whose to saye.                                    :)

Probably smuggling the early print edition of SA Forums.

• Like 2
On 2/19/2020 at 7:58 PM, billy backstay said:

Friends keep asking my why am not planning to retire to Charleston, SC, where both or our daughters live.  Other than January through February, I love living where we do in SE CT.  Racing one design and PHRF from March to December, there are not a lot of other areas that offer that, and have such a beautiful place to do it. OTOH, when we eventually start having Grandchildren, Miss BB may have other thoughts....  Florida??  Never, except for short visits in the coldest of New England months.  So far, this winter has been very mild....

When it is Jan and Feb and we acyually get cold or snow, there is skating on the falls river -- all the way around th island! and skiing Cockaponset.

18 hours ago, Windward said:
21 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Probably smuggling the early print edition of SA Forums.

The stoane tabblettes our evan rarere.  ED cane telle you, thast when hise haire wente white..........           :)

(he allmoeste shittiselfe when some made a goldenne tuna as offereng to Lewickey durreng EDs absence)

(thasts when he realley gotte mad)

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

When it is Jan and Feb and we acyually get cold or snow, there is skating on the falls river -- all the way around th island! and skiing Cockaponset.

Where are you located?  I grew up on the Falls River in Ivoryton, and went to keggers in Cockaponset, many years ago, as a teenager.  Winter sports are not my thing because, I don't care for the temperatures....  I remember skating on South Cove in Essex when we lived there years ago, but the ice was very bumpy, compared to Mill Pond on the Falls River...

• Like 1
On 5/30/2020 at 6:18 AM, Windward said:

Looks more like an early prop for the Thunderbirds.

• 2 weeks later...
EditorJune 10, 2020

cockaina-300x168.jpgOne less reason to go to Floriduh…

The U.S. Coast Guard showed off large caches of illegal narcotics seized as part of U.S. Southern Command’s enhanced counter-narcotics operations in the Caribbean and Eastern Pacific.

The Coast Guard Cutter James arrived in Port Everglades, Florida offloading approximately 23,000 pounds of cocaine and approximately 6,900 pounds of marijuana, with an estimated value of $408 million, seized in a series of recent actions.

13 hours ago, Not for nothing said:
EditorJune 10, 2020

The U.S. Coast Guard showed off large caches of illegal narcotics seized as part of U.S. Southern Command’s enhanced counter-narcotics operations in the Caribbean and Eastern Pacific.

The Coast Guard Cutter James arrived in Port Everglades, Florida offloading approximately 23,000 pounds of cocaine and approximately 6,900 pounds of marijuana, with an estimated value of $408 million, seized in a series of recent actions.

I saw that, crazy score.  Good job CG.  

22 hours ago, Not for nothing said:
EditorJune 10, 2020

Normal day in Florida :D

On 6/11/2020 at 8:31 AM, Not for nothing said:

cockaina-300x168.jpg

Maybe they will sell the pot to the many purveyors advertising here for free medical marijuana cards.

On 6/11/2020 at 5:31 AM, Not for nothing said:
EditorJune 10, 2020

I remember the stories from the 70's about weed smuggling in Floriduh. Before the cocaine cowboys got murderous it sounded like everyone with a decent sized boat was running bales of weed. The sociology of it sounded like the old rum runners around here - it was regarded more as a caper or mischievousness rather than criminal activity - except by the authorities of course. 

Abandoned bales found floating were called "square grouper". :D

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:
On 6/11/2020 at 8:31 AM, Not for nothing said:
EditorJune 10, 2020

I remember the stories from the 70's about weed smuggling in Floriduh. Before the cocaine cowboys got murderous it sounded like everyone with a decent sized boat was running bales of weed. The sociology of it sounded like the old rum runners around here - it was regarded more as a caper or mischievousness rather than criminal activity - except by the authorities of course. 

A pretty decent bar at Jupiter inlet happens to be "The Square Grouper."  My daughter is planning on having her wedding reception "after party" there in about 6 months.  Assuming that we all don't die from COVID before then.  

3 hours ago, Jules said:

Maybe they will sell the pot to the many purveyors advertising here for free medical marijuana cards.

How do you think the USCG pays it's bills

square grouper , is right up the street from where I hang , great in day now too tourist, did see some bales/packages floating of lake worth inlet, couple years back

Think Jimmy Buffet got his start there

Current buddy of mine had "more money than [he] could carry." Had two full timers out breaking hundred dollar bills for awhile. Busted. Kept mouth shut and off to min security. Took a walkabout back to Lauderdale ... Time goes by and one day he makes eye contact with a sheriff with a good memory. 10 long straight years in Fed higher security. No time off. No pass Go. 

I was asked to go on a run from Galveston to Isla M and back with a dockmate. Got to say was tempted but passed. It was a successful run. 30' wooden sloop was abandoned at marina. I bought it somewhat underhandedly for $100 and back slip rent. 

Good times. Proof we're old is having to explain the term square grouper, eh?

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Blue Crab said:

Good times. Proof we're old is having to explain the term square grouper, eh?

Not wrong.  Of course, we grew up eating dirt, biking without helmets, eating whatever fish we caught and the street light was the signal to head home.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I lived in Miami in the 70's and 80's and the image you saw wasn't what I lived through. Lots of smugglers but far more of us who did not. We just don't make headlines.

I have it on good authority that a square grouper was landed in the Keys a few years ago, so they're not extinct. Our running joke back in the day was to call any unidentified floating object a bale until proven otherwise. I never found one.

6 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

A pretty decent bar at Jupiter inlet happens to be "The Square Grouper."  My daughter is planning on having her wedding reception "after party" there in about 6 months.  Assuming that we all don't die from COVID before then.  

Spent a lot of money many times at that place, love it.  Haven't been there in awhile for obvious reasons.

6 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

How do you think the USCG pays it's bills

square grouper , is right up the street from where I hang , great in day now too tourist, did see some bales/packages floating of lake worth inlet, couple years back

Think Jimmy Buffet got his start there

Between SG and Tikis I have spent many evenings there.  Pulled up on the center console for dinner/beverages more than a few times.  The amount of snook under those docks at night is amazing.

On 5/25/2020 at 7:44 PM, Snaggletooth said:

Chootem Elizabethe!!!!!                                      :)

You're not allowed to do that.  But it didn't stop one little old in my Sunday School class when I spent a few years in south Georgia.  The preacher sometimes had to take a boat from his front door.  When the river rises it's not just all boats that rise.  Every thread needs music.  

10 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

Spent a lot of money many times at that place, love it.  Haven't been there in awhile for obvious reasons.

Between SG and Tikis I have spent many evenings there.  Pulled up on the center console for dinner/beverages more than a few times.  The amount of snook under those docks at night is amazing.

We probably crossed paths, retired with my J-37 , to the Riveria Tiki (rip to both !), no more SQ, mostly Schooners, drinking Heikens 00's wtf, 

10 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

We probably crossed paths, retired with my J-37 , to the Riveria Tiki (rip to both !), no more SQ, mostly Schooners, drinking Heikens 00's wtf, 

Schooners is great as well.  Haven't been down there much since we moved up to Stuart.

28 minutes ago, Jkdubz808 said:

Schooners is great as well.  Haven't been down there much since we moved up to Stuart.

moved to hobe sound , by heritage golf course, used to keep my cat at loggerhead, where you hang at up here?

13 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:

moved to hobe sound , by heritage golf course, used to keep my cat at loggerhead, where you hang at up here?

Spend lots of time fishing the inlet, launch either in Manatee Pocket or up the river in Palm City (closer to my house).  Sand bar days (when the water is clean) are a favorite with the kids.