Don't MoveTo Florida

5 hours ago, Windward said:

This looks like a squashed alligator.  not a pothole.

Where are my glasses dammit.  

Thats the underside of the bridge, mate.  Chunks of concrete fell into the St. Lucie River.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In our more rural areas there are a lot of freely accessible groves, most of them with old trees and fruits. These have been outshadowed by modern "industrial" species and those are usually heavily sp

Sometimes the local Letters To The Editor can be more amusing than sad: "So I'm driving down Midway and look to the left and there in a church parking lot is a pickup truck with a Confederate fla

FIFY But y’know, same thing was said of Deutschland in the 1930s

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, Jules said:

Got a nice dust storm moving our way.  One of the effects is high temps.  Today temps are predicted to be in the mid 90s with the heat index over 1100

Is that the one from the Sahara?

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Is that the one from the Sahara?

Yeah.  Florida isn't supposed to get a direct hit but we're getting the heat.  They are also saying sunsets and sunrises will be picturesque if there's just a light dusting.

38 minutes ago, Jules said:

Yeah.  Florida isn't supposed to get a direct hit but we're getting the heat.  They are also saying sunsets and sunrises will be picturesque if there's just a light dusting.

that's the spirit!

It’s in the Gulf of Mexico. The humidity is high so we got fog at the moment but supposedly it’s over Texas right now, which could be why our internet is down on the ship. Good thing we are at anchor close to the beach so I have LTE service on the phone. 

The big house that I housesat on St John had the old jalousie style window with glass or redwood slats that were like louvers. There was a hand crank on one side that would let you crank all the louvers shut using a sort of 'rack and pinion' mechanism. The redwood slats had rabbit joins that overlapped and were pretty weather tight but the glass ones were pretty leaky. We had a couple of years where the Sahara Dust was particularly dense and the tradewind breezes would deposit that dust on the window screens which were just inside the louvers. It would really build up fast and also was almost like lint and dirt and wouldn't take long to nearly clog the window screen. Then we would get a cycle of 'Tropical Wave' and the rains that created would clear up the dust in the sky. You would have to crank the windows shut as the house was at the crest of a steep cliff and the wind would actually blow up the slope and could force its way through the angle of the jalousie louvers. The glass window would let a fine mist of wind driven spray through which would rinse the dust/lint out of the screens and there would be a semi circle of mud/dust plastered on the ceiling after each Dust/Tropic Wave cycle. Pain in the ass it was! 

Back on the boat on its mooring, you would get a buildup of dust/lint on the forward side of the halyards that had to be seen to believed. Those low spots in the deck waterways that didn't quite line up with the scuppers would collect a little puddle of mud after the rains washed the sky and rigging clean of the dust. You should see the crud that would build up over a decade or two in the home cisterns! 

Sahara Dust coming in from 5K away and people are in denial about a virus bug and 6ft separation!

(Not going political here, just observing)

2 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

You no tinkerbelle wase modelled aftere MM?                                    :)

Marilyn Monroe?

Check again...

Throughout a nearly eight-decade showbiz career, Margaret Kerry has had countless roles, but there is one character that’s stuck with her and ultimately became a part of who she is: Tinker Bell.

Despite Disney’s classic “Peter Pan” being an animated film, the characters were modeled after real-life people.

Because of her dancing background, she auditioned for the part and won the role as a reference model, despite the urban legend that Tinker Bell was actually based on Hollywood legend Marilyn Monroe.

“I’ve worked with Marilyn, and I adored her, but one of the reasons she couldn’t have done it was because she wasn’t a dancer,” Kerry said. “If you look at Tinker Bell, the way she does her walk is like a ballet dancer’s walk.”

2 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:
7 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

You no tinkerbelle wase modelled aftere MM?                                    :)

Marilyn Monroe?

Check again...

Throughout a nearly eight-decade showbiz career, Margaret Kerry has had countless roles, but there is one character that’s stuck with her and ultimately became a part of who she is: Tinker Bell.

Despite Disney’s classic “Peter Pan” being an animated film, the characters were modeled after real-life people.

Because of her dancing background, she auditioned for the part and won the role as a reference model, despite the urban legend that Tinker Bell was actually based on Hollywood legend Marilyn Monroe.

“I’ve worked with Marilyn, and I adored her, but one of the reasons she couldn’t have done it was because she wasn’t a dancer,” Kerry said. “If you look at Tinker Bell, the way she does her walk is like a ballet dancer’s walk.”

Thacke you R22, Ime am smartere nowe!                           :)

Punta Gorda police investigating first hate crime in 10 years after man spat on black women

Punta Gorda police said they had to investigate their first hate crime in 10 years on Tuesday, when a clear act of racism was caught on video. 

PUNTA GORDA, Fla. - Punta Gorda police said they had to investigate their first hate crime in 10 years on Tuesday, when a clear act of racism was caught on video. 

Katrina M. and her cousin Leiya R. went to pick mangoes from a neighborhood tree on Hibiscus Drive — the owners of the home were fine with the duo taking their mangoes, but Donald Mueller thought they were stealing.

Mueller accused the women of stealing mangoes from the home, as well as his home two blocks away. He confronted the women, and then quickly lost his cool — one of the women inside the car hit record on her phone capturing the whole incident.

Mueller directed racial slurs and threats towards the women. One of the women inside the car, Leiya R., is African American.

As she recorded Mueller's racist rant, he forced his head into the car the women were in, and he spat on both women.

According to the police report, one of the women slapped Mueller in defense, breaking his glasses in two.

The women called police and showed them the video of Mueller.

He was arrested for two counts of simple battery and burglary.

The video can be seen here (it's worth it): https://www.abc-7.com/story/42293182/punta-gorda-man-hurls-racial-slurs-at-women-for-picking-mangoes-from-neighbors-tree

On 6/17/2020 at 9:15 AM, Jules said:

1570408054_41wGcnf03zL1.jpg.3b6762a0423fd7f89fbb0acc9b8e571f.jpg

Seriously guys, this shit belongs in PA! Keep it in PA!

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, Jules said:

Gotta love white senior citizen marches.  They do it in golf carts.  Only in Florida...

This is the video Trump re-tweeted.

10 hours ago, Jules said:

Gotta love white senior citizen marches.  They do it in golf carts.  Only in Florida...

The villages,   The ultimate retirement community 150,000 strong.   Old folks drinking cool aid, and spreading veneral diseases.  What’s not to love....

they gotta protest in golf carts,  can have them falling down and risk breaking a hip. 

59 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

The villages,   The ultimate retirement community 150,000 strong.   Old folks drinking cool aid, and spreading veneral diseases.  What’s not to love....

they gotta protest in golf carts,  can have them falling down and risk breaking a hip. 

On movie night, gals with Parkinson's are in particular favor.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

The whole story is somewhere over in the joke thread.

And not a good one.

8 hours ago, Windward said:
On 6/30/2020 at 5:24 AM, Fat Point Jack said:

The whole story is somewhere over in the joke thread.

And not a good one.

With the bakery closed, where do you boys get yer creampuffs? 

• Like 1
On 5/27/2020 at 5:32 AM, Cacoethesic Tom said:

That one's proof that a catch stick and a uniform doesn't make a person know how to catch a gator. The Gator Boys catch 'em by wearing them out and jumping on top of them when they're tired.

I heard a guy tell the story about winning the gator hunting lottery, the price was the privilege of going hunting for gators.  He hired a professional to accompany him.  In a small boat they headed out looking for the biggest gator.  He was hilarious.  I wish he'd record it. https://myfwc.com/license/limited-entry/statewide-alligator-hunt-permit/

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/local/indian-river-lagoon/health/2019/08/13/abundance-alligators-expected-hunting-season-begins-thursday/1995420001/

2 hours ago, ROADKILL666 said:

If you like swamp hot come on down but I prefer you didn’t 

Jebus, if you are talking to Hasher, he already lives in Georgia.  That's almost the same thing as Florida except with a much smaller coastline.

I am sure Florida behavior has oozed into Georgia.  And as far as I know, Georgia is no stranger to swamps.

2 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Jebus, if you are talking to Hasher, he already lives in Georgia.  That's almost the same thing as Florida except with a much smaller coastline.

I am sure Florida behavior has oozed into Georgia.  And as far as I know, Georgia is no stranger to swamps.

And he posted about the new unannounced river downtown just last week. What a shithole state.

52 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

And he posted about the new unannounced river downtown just last week. What a shithole state.

That's what you get when you go south of the Mason-Dixon Line!   :lol:

6 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

you know why  florida doesn't fall off into the ocean?    that because Georgia sucks..

• Like 1

We're number one!  We're number one!

Author: 10 Tampa Bay
Published: 10:45 AM EDT July 2, 2020
Updated: 9:57 PM EDT July 2, 2020

Thursday's report from the Florida Department of Health showed the state added another 10,109 new cases of COVID-19 for July 1.

That number is now the highest record for new coronavirus cases in Florida in a single day, beating June 27's record of 9,585. 

Based on Wednesday's data, the state said another 67 Florida residents had died from coronavirus, and one non-Florida resident also died.

1 hour ago, Jules said:

Thursday's report from the Florida Department of Health showed the state added another 10,109 new cases of COVID-19 for July 1.

That number is now the highest record for new coronavirus cases in Florida in a single day, beating June 27's record of 9,585. 

Based on Wednesday's data, the state said another 67 Florida residents had died from coronavirus, and one non-Florida resident also died.

I feel this post should get a "like"...   But then not really.   I'm torn.

Congrats, and I'm sorry to hear.

8 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Ist theire away to do a '+/-'  ???

But what one would you choose?

<0>?

+0?

19 hours ago, Jules said:

Wonder how much longer before other states won't let Floridians in.

2 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

An article in the paper the other day said three people from Florida went to NY and failed to self-quarantine for 14 days.  All were COVID positive.  Apparently they were told they MUST self-quarantine as a condition for entering NY state.  

One immunologist estimated actual COVID positive numbers are 20 times what is being reported.  Maybe Florida wants to become the herd immunity state. 

Florida has a history of doing its own thing.  After the Volstead Act was passed, FL completely ignored it.  In fact, when the US Coast Guard gunned down a rum runner off the coast of Miami, the Miami DA filed murder charges against the CG officials involved in the killing.     

41 minutes ago, Fakenews said:
On 7/4/2020 at 1:44 AM, Jkdubz808 said:

Kansas is blocking people who are coming from Fl as of last Monday.

New York is letting them in only if they quarantine for two weeks.

33 minutes ago, El Boracho said:

If COVID-19 wasn't bad enough...

Deadly Brain-Eating Amoeba Confirmed in Florida

https://www.thedailybeast.com/deadly-brain-eating-amoeba-confirmed-in-florida

If that amoeba escapes Florida it might start eating brains!

That explains a lot. I suspect that amoeba's been active in Florida for quite some time...

• Like 5
16 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Florida man tells “grim reaper” that Joe and Hunter Biden went to China and brought the coronavirus back with them.

Was he chewing on someone's face at the time?

26 minutes ago, Ishmael said:
44 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Florida man tells “grim reaper” that Joe and Hunter Biden went to China and brought the coronavirus back with them.

Was he chewing on someone's face at the time?

Butte then why wase DT asksing Ukraine forre dirte?  FLA man allreddey hade it.  It juste dossente macke sense.......                     :)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

with governor desanta that's wants to open the state up and the up coming RNC in Jax , if your red your dead!

it maybe a blue state after all , no hanging chads here , 

I was born in Chicago and lived there for the next 64 years.  I grew up believing nobody upstages Chicago when it comes to political corruption. 

I arrived in Florida five years ago and am firmly convinced Chicago can't hold a candle to Florida when it comes to political corruption.  These guys have the electorate so duped it's astounding.

56 minutes ago, Jules said:

I was born in Chicago and lived there for the next 64 years.  I grew up believing nobody upstages Chicago when it comes to political corruption. 

I arrived in Florida five years ago and am firmly convinced Chicago can't hold a candle to Florida when it comes to political corruption.  These guys have the electorate so duped it's astounding.

well 3/4's of the population is senile, so not hard to dupe..

2 hours ago, Jules said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/08/coronavirus-illinois-gov-pritzker-says-states-were-forced-compete-in-sick-hunger-games-competition-for-ppe.html

13 hours ago, Jules said:

Didn't you get your garbage can from the precinct committee person?

3 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Didn't you get your garbage can from the precinct committee person?

Are you kidding?  When I lived there, you supplied your own garbage cans. 

When I was still living with my parents, those garbage cans were 55 gallon steel drums.  The garbage men would walk up your driveway, pick up the now full drums, roll them to their back (where there was a leather pad) and with one hand on top, the other on bottom, carry the drum to the street and dump the garbage into the truck.  Then they would carry them back to the rear of the house and set them down neatly.  Then do the same for the next two.

4 hours ago, Jules said:

Are you kidding?  When I lived there, you supplied your own garbage cans. 

When I was still living with my parents, those garbage cans were 55 gallon steel drums.  The garbage men would walk up your driveway, pick up the now full drums, roll them to their back (where there was a leather pad) and with one hand on top, the other on bottom, carry the drum to the street and dump the garbage into the truck.  Then they would carry them back to the rear of the house and set them down neatly.  Then do the same for the next two.

Another urban legend shot down.

Florida contractors...  Don't they have eyes? 

This is the roof work they did yesterday.  They pulled up tiles about 3' on either side of the valley, laid down new underlayment and tarred or foamed up some areas, then laid the tiles back down.  I think after that they got their kids to come in and do the finish work.

MK_roofwork_001.jpg.e846b345375b6da1f69e99364503e350.jpg

3 hours ago, Jules said:

This is the roof work they did yesterday.  They pulled up tiles about 3' on either side of the valley, laid down new underlayment and tarred or foamed up some areas, then laid the tiles back down.  I think after that they got their kids to come in and do the finish work.

They call that billable work?

I'd call it low grade handyman.

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I'd call it drunk homeowner. That's just not right.

That was my first guess until I read Jules' post that it was an actual professional. Or claimed to be.

There are skilled workers here but we do have more than our share of ones... like that.

I don't mind the heat but almost melted today while sailing a Sunfish. Being on a roof on a day like today would be absolute misery. And it's not even August yet.

6 hours ago, Jules said:

it won't leak...

3 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Since when do you put ridge capping tiles in a VALLEY? Then apply more goop to seal?

FKT

When you don't know WTF you're doing apparently.
Time to call this guy.

12 hours ago, Cacoethesic Tom said:

That was my first guess until I read Jules' post that it was an actual professional. Or claimed to be.

There are skilled workers here but we do have more than our share of ones... like that.

I don't mind the heat but almost melted today while sailing a Sunfish. Being on a roof on a day like today would be absolute misery. And it's not even August yet.

About a year ago, I went up there and slapped some caulking down as a temporary fix.  It wasn't pretty but I was dying from the heat.  I figured I'd go back when it was cooler to do a better job.   This is what it looked like after my quick fix.

Roof_PreMK_001.jpg.a3ebba8e4339f99af01e217bf2c0b5e3.jpg

The roofer we hired said, after he checked it out, that it looked like an amateur did some caulking.  So I figured his guys would be doing a much better job.  Guess I was wrong.

17 hours ago, Cacoethesic Tom said:

There are skilled workers here

Wish I knew how to find them.  When we had the driveway done, I did the CAD drawings for bidding purposes.  The contractor used that to get a permit.  Their layout guy arrived with a hammer, some stakes and bendy board.  I asked him, "Where's your transit?"  He didn't have one.  "Do you have the plans?"  He didn't, so I printed out new plans and had him help me layout the driveway. 

When we had the roof cleaned, I asked the guy if he needed to cover anything.  He said no.  After he left, plants began to wither and I found white spots on the outdoor furniture cushions.  Chlorine damage was everywhere. 

Now this.

Customers all gave these guys great ratings.  What I'm learning is most people here don't know shit about quality work.  They just pick up the phone when something needs to be done.

I'm still confused about the ridgecap in the valley.

Is that how thick tiles are done?  I really don't know.

19 minutes ago, Windward said:

I'm still confused about the ridgecap in the valley.

Is that how thick tiles are done?  I really don't know.

No. Don't use convex where concave is needed. And roofing is all about gravity sucking. And where does it suck there? Against caulk that's gonna fail. A concave (typical metal flashed) valley shouldn't leak there. And surely wouldn't have 42 tubes of goo smeared all over it.  The video posted above where the roofing co in Rancho fixed a valley? That's the way to do it. Peel it back and fix the leaking flashing. May as well get a gallon of flex seal and dump it down the roof for what the caulk is going to do....

9 hours ago, gptyk said:

A concave (typical metal flashed) valley shouldn't leak there.

There might be an issue with metal flashing due to exposure to salt air.  When we were getting estimates for a new roof I asked about doing a metal roof.  I was told the manufacturer will not warranty a metal roof within 5 miles of salt water bodies.

Everyone I talked to said it's the underlayment that does the waterproofing with clay/concrete roofs.  IIRC, Miami-Dade code calls for adhesive-backed underlayment.  From what I've seen here, the stuff looks like thick rubber, 

Just after we moved here I saw this and freaked out only to later be told that's what the weep holes are for.

TileRoof_Rain_01.jpg.e5d1ea3d1ca9fec8d4d5e044bcb50b83.jpg

5 minutes ago, Jules said:

There might be an issue with metal flashing due to exposure to salt air.  When we were getting estimates for a new roof I asked about doing a metal roof.  I was told the manufacturer will not warranty a metal roof within 5 miles of salt water bodies.

Then you must be using low-class shit metal for the roofs.

Here you can count on 30+ years from a metal roof. One of my houses is within 200m of the tide line and the roof is as good as the day I did it 15 years ago. The other house is further from the coast but less than 1 km from a salt tidal river. That roof is just coming up to 30 years and there isn't a single trace of rust.

I have never, ever seen a tile roof with valleys done in such a fashion. It's just *wrong*. Even if there's valley flashing underneath, it's still wrong. And if there isn't valley flashing there it's just a major leak waiting to happen.

FKT

5 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Then you must be using low-class shit metal for the roofs.

Here you can count on 30+ years from a metal roof. One of my houses is within 200m of the tide line and the roof is as good as the day I did it 15 years ago. The other house is further from the coast but less than 1 km from a salt tidal river. That roof is just coming up to 30 years and there isn't a single trace of rust.

I have never, ever seen a tile roof with valleys done in such a fashion. It's just *wrong*. Even if there's valley flashing underneath, it's still wrong. And if there isn't valley flashing there it's just a major leak waiting to happen.

FKT

I just Googled it.  For standard metal roofs, the distance is a mile.  But aluminum and aluminum/zinc apparently are warranted right up to the water's edge.  We're about 35' away.

So the tiles are really there for decoration and UV?

Those weep holes were doing their thing... so it must work.