Big Daddy 2020, March 7&8

8 hours ago, EarthBM said:

Love the rig humming in your vid! How many DIAMs are in the Bay?

Wish that was the rig, then it wouldn’t drive me nuts! It is the slightly too thick trailing edge of the daggerboard....

There are currently two of us in Northern California, with rumors of another being brought from Texas to sell in the Bay Area

Hello Trevor thanks for you constructive comments ! I see that our plan is working and the daggerboard humming is making people talk about it ! :)

More seriously if you depolish it wit 800 grit sandpaper you should reduce the noise to something a lot more bearable and I won't affect the performance of the boat.

If you need more advise there are some technical advice availlable ont the DIam 24 one design website. 

A suspicious person would wonder why the smallest multihull allowed is 20 feet long---y'know that the mh dealership only sells boats 20 feet and bigger.  Me and my SeaRail 19 will skip it.  

1 hour ago, Fournier Louis said:

Hello Trevor thanks for you constructive comments ! I see that our plan is working and the daggerboard humming is making people talk about it ! :)

More seriously if you depolish it wit 800 grit sandpaper you should reduce the noise to something a lot more bearable and I won't affect the performance of the boat.

If you need more advise there are some technical advice availlable ont the DIam 24 one design website. 

For my F242, I was told a 30 degree trailing edge was optimum to eliminate daggerboard hum-you might check with more modern knowledge.  I made a template and filed it down.  Then sanded the edge.  Sanded the whole board with wet 400 grit.  Never had hum again.  On the F24 you had to do this while the boat was on blocks since the board was "really hard" to get out (Had to remove mast step).  

But does the boat go faster with knife edge, quiet running, foils?

Roughen the trailing edge, lay and tape some ( 1/8" thick) plastic sheet against the trailing side of the dagger/rudder blade. Trowel some thickened epoxy onto the back edge of the blade and across maybe1/4" onto the sheet and leave it to harden. Peel away the plastic sheet. Fair the trailing edge of the foil into the added trailing edge material back to a knife edge.

Obviously this remedy is dependent on there being sufficient fore and aft length in the case but there usually is. 

Because that trailing edge is external to the structure of the board it is sacrificial if damaged but it will run quiet until it gets dinged.

Thanks for all the advice on getting rid of the hum. It’s not a question of how to do it, it’s a question of doing it.

Big Daddy weather is looking nice and moderate, unlike last weekend’s. It pretty rare to spend an hour drifting in less than three knots in the same four hour race that has a long beat in 25!

55 minutes ago, Trevor B said:

Thanks for all the advice on getting rid of the hum. It’s not a question of how to do it, it’s a question of doing it.

Big Daddy weather is looking nice and moderate, unlike last weekend’s. It pretty rare to spend an hour drifting in less than three knots in the same four hour race that has a long beat in 25!

Yah, watching the race replay gps tracks for two of the multihulls shows one getting about 5 miles ahead while the other was still plodding upwind toward the top mark, then the quick one stayed in place while the slow plodder caught up and brought the breeze with him.  jibeset.net SSS Corinthian race

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Trevor B said:

Last run to the finish, we “won” the wrong way, but it was the wrong way.......

IMG_0591.mov

Looks so much more refined than the Multi23. that overlapper looks pretty sweet.