2020 Fishing Thread

19 hours ago, Cacoethesic Tom said:

Yes, but there can be those days when a fishing trip turns into hours of fucking around because your trailer broke.

Well those are the days that make you appreciate the fishing even more after the work is done.  ;)

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

40# WSB Santa Rosa island 

55 lb bluefin.  Just spent a couple hours with Senor Mariachi. Good fun that.

We finally get a Saturday that Lake Michigan had light winds and laid down nicely for us after a few weeks of big wind and waves.  We fished the warm water outlet (aka the bubbler) at Port Sheldon loo

Posted Images

On 5/24/2020 at 10:49 AM, Fat Point Jack said:

That's the 3rd fishin' store we have lost.

Lashley-Why is divorce so expensive, cuz it's worth it.  I assume that he was hoping that Sunshitter would replace his lost money.

Fisherman's Edge in Grove City.  A 1 man business and he was tired of 6-12's and not making any money. 

There's one in PiGI, but he never seems to be open.  That one doesn't count.

I hope Becky and her son at Rio Villa keep goin'.

The bikers had bar run/fundraiser for Frank on Sunday.  My cynical, sarcastic question of the day is not were any of them wearing masks?  It is:

How many would have blown over the limit after hitting 6 bars before supper?

21 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

The bikers had bar run/fundraiser for Frank on Sunday.  My cynical, sarcastic question of the day is not were any of them wearing masks?  It is:

How many would have blown over the limit after hitting 6 bars before supper?

6? I saw stuff about the Bar 17 event on FB but no other bars were referenced.

17+ Lb. Lake Michigan King Salmon.  Caught around 5 miles off shore of Port Sheldon, Mi.  Hit a spoon on the down rigger and his first run was a screamer taking over 200' of drag before we got him stopped.  I have seen 2 over 30 Lb. Kings taken so far this season and am sure there are more than that.

17lbKing.gif

• Like 3
16 hours ago, F395 said:

17+ Lb. Lake Michigan King Salmon.  Caught around 5 miles off shore of Port Sheldon, Mi.  Hit a spoon on the down rigger and his first run was a screamer taking over 200' of drag before we got him stopped.  I have seen 2 over 30 Lb. Kings taken so far this season and am sure there are more than that.

They call them kings for a reason.  Nice catch!

I have done a little downrigger fishing on Lake Erie for walleye and coho salmon.  A couple of times something hit, stripped the line like and express train and was gone.  Most likely king salmon.

The one and only salmon I have ever landed in my life.  I probably will never catch another salmon, but that's OK. 

Atlantic salmon form the Baltic sea, fishing with down riggers, stick bait lures and flashers.  48" long, 44 pounds.  It took me 45 minutes to get it in the boat.

Fish.jpg

• Like 4

Some nice big fish up thread. I floated a portion of the North Platte yesterday and netted a few nice browns and rainbows. But they pale in size compared to a king.

Although the scenery was plenty nice.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dorado said:

Heading to San Diego for bluefin tomorrow. Fishing Monday

Man, it's been a long wait . . .

From the reports I'm getting it should be (no pun intended) off the hook. 

Headed out in the AM for a high alpine lake,  not positive which one yet. Where I want to go was still iced over last Friday. Hopefully it won't be just a long walk at elevation.

On 6/13/2020 at 4:39 PM, Dorado said:

Heading to San Diego for bluefin tomorrow. Fishing Monday

Man, it's been a long wait . . .

And???????????

Today I chose a rarely used alpine lake. It hardly gets any traffic due to the very difficult access and even more difficult egress. It sits somewhere in the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness at an elevation of 12,214. There is no trail leading to it. From the main trail you climb from 10,880 straight up to the lake. It's a bitch. Coming down is worse with the constant loose rock.

In this photo the lake sits just below the big round peak in the upper right, the access is straight up the open slope.

RIMG0162-X2.jpg

When I got up there it looked like this.

RIMG0165-X2.jpg

RIMG0166-X2.jpg

Caught a few, but I left my camera where I was snacking so had to use my crappy flip phone.

1505-XL.jpg

I've never seen another human up there, in fact never even a foot print. It's pristine.

This guy was my companion, he showed no fear, probably because he never sees people and doesn't realize people can be dicks.

RIMG0169-X2.jpg

Looking down valley on the way out.

RIMG0171-X2.jpg

Here's a clue as to where I was.

RIMG0172-X2.jpg

Best part about this place is I can be at the trailhead in about an hour.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, pbd said:

And???????????

I just finished my 500 mile drive back from SD

We got skunked on the bft. The boat got 19 from 50 to 198lb two days earlier. Went to the same area and they were gone. We went south and the fish went north. 

16 year old Minnesota cutie lands a big one on Marco Island. 

June 15, 2020 4:22 pm

A 16-year-old girl who went deep-sea fishing recently for only her second time, reeled up an estimated 583-pound goliath grouper, which dwarfs the women’s world record for the species.

“I was, like, in shock pretty much,” Reegan Werner told the TwinCities Pioneer Press on Saturday. “My biggest fish before that was a salmon.”

Werner, who is from Farmington, Minn., was fishing May 31 near Marco Island off Florida with her brother, mother, and stepfather.

Werner’s brother, Owen, hooked a hammerhead shark before the enormous grouper devoured Werner’s bait. Her catch, after a fierce but short battle of 15 minutes, became the highlight of the family excursion.

Adolescente desembarca mero de 583 libras en su segundo viaje de ...

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Dorado said:

I just finished my 500 mile drive back from SD

We got skunked on the bft. The boat got 19 from 50 to 198lb two days earlier. Went to the same area and they were gone. We went south and the fish went north. 

As 'they' say, that's why it's called fishing, not catching.

If you catch yourself some tunnies, what do you do with them?  In my understand, blue fin tuna can be very valuable.  Can you sell them?  Do you take them home and eat sushi and sashimi for weeks on end?   Can you sen one to Poland, I would make good use of it!  ;)

8 hours ago, bmiller said:

Today I chose a rarely used alpine lake. It hardly gets any traffic due to the very difficult access and even more difficult egress. It sits somewhere in the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness at an elevation of 12,214. There is no trail leading to it. From the main trail you climb from 10,880 straight up to the lake. It's a bitch. Coming down is worse with the constant loose rock.

Man, I have serious fishing envy.  I am not too fond of mountains, but that area is absolutely beautiful.  So is the fish.  Cuthroat?

6 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

If you catch yourself some tunnies, what do you do with them?  In my understand, blue fin tuna can be very valuable.  Can you sell them?  Do you take them home and eat sushi and sashimi for weeks on end?   Can you sen one to Poland, I would make good use of it!  ;)

Yellowfin in our parts...a night or two of sushi/sashimi/seared...usually smoke a few slabs and vac/freeze for smoked tuna dip...all the rest gets canned...lasts forever, we're still eating some that's three years old, got probably 3 cases of pint jars stashed right now...

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Grabbler said:

all the rest gets canned...lasts forever, we're still eating some that's three years old, got probably 3 cases of pint jars stashed right now...

Is it better than StarKist?   :lol:

9 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

When I get bluefin, I have them professionally processed by Fishermen's Processing. They come to the dock and get right off the boat. If I was to bring a 100 lb tuna to them they would charge me $135 to process into 1 lb vacuum-sealed packages. And that would yield about 35 lb plus or minus of finished product. The current market price for Bluefin Maguro at Catalina Offshore Products is about $45 a pound.

I'm also catching Ahi and hamachi on a regular basis on these trips too. I usually process them myself when I get home.

We're eating sushi about once a week, year round. We throw some good sushi parties for all our friends up here too.

It's illegal to sell sport caught fish in California

Ed, let me know when your Lear Jet is in San Diego and I'll throw a few toro bellies on it. B)

I'll be booking another tuna trip here shortly. 

4 hours ago, Dorado said:

When I get bluefin, I have them professionally processed by Fishermen's Processing. They come to the dock and get right off the boat. If I was to bring a 100 lb tuna to them they would charge me $135 to process into 1 lb vacuum-sealed packages. And that would yield about 35 lb plus or minus of finished product. The current market price for Bluefin Maguro at Catalina Offshore Products is about $45 a pound.

I'm also catching Ahi and hamachi on a regular basis on these trips too. I usually process them myself when I get home.

We're eating sushi about once a week, year round. We throw some good sushi parties for all our friends up here too.

It's illegal to sell sport caught fish in California

Ed, let me know when your Lear Jet is in San Diego and I'll throw a few toro bellies on it. B)

I'll be booking another tuna trip here shortly. 

Damn dude, I wish I had a Lear.  I love that tuna belly and hamachi too, it has that same buttery consistency as o toro at a much lower price.  Well, almost the same.  Tuna  freezes pretty well, a good deal of the tuna they use in Japan is caught far from Japan and is shipped in frozen, so I imagine your stuff tastes good later on.  

I thought there might be some prohibition about selling it.  Some of those big blue fins fetch one hell of a price at the auctions.  I love good tuna sushi and sashimi as much as the next guy after spending 3 1/2 years in Japan, but I fear the Japanese are going to cause them to be extinct at some point.  I mean they have no qualms about catching whales and they don't even eat much of it.   

I'll just have to live vicariously through you, be sure to torture me with the details about your next trip and I hope you catch a big one!

On 5/24/2020 at 7:14 AM, Cacoethesic Tom said:

Family visit yesterday and we took the grand kids out in the pontoon boat down in the creek behind our house. My wife caught a YUGE catfish

CATFISH ON!!! (the battle cry of the Shell Creek fisherman).

But now Fishin' Frank is having a catfish tournament and our grandson is down so we're going to go find that monstrous catfish from a month ago. It was easily 8 lbs and the state record is 9.5 so will likely win the tournament if we can find it again.

On 6/10/2020 at 11:38 AM, F395 said:

17lbKing.gif

This little guy had me thoroughly confused this morning. He hit a Dipsy that was out 125’. He took off on a run out to just shy of 400’ of line before I could make any progress. I was half expecting to find a sea monster on the end of the line. Fun way to start the morning though!

82A17759-BE57-4954-B524-85F49DB2DB48.jpeg

• Like 2

Joey caught two bluegills on a 68 acre lake last weekend.  I spent 6 hours kayaking the entire lake and had one hit in the weeds on a bass bait that turned out to be a fingerling yellow perch.  Caught a hell of a sunburn though

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

This little guy had me thoroughly confused this morning. He hit a Dipsy that was out 125’. He took off on a run out to just shy of 400’ of line before I could make any progress. I was half expecting to find a sea monster on the end of the line. Fun way to start the morning though!

82A17759-BE57-4954-B524-85F49DB2DB48.jpeg

we are heading out on the big pond tomorrow for Kings.  Reports of large kings being taken off shore Holland in 150 feet of water.

1 minute ago, F395 said:

we are heading out on the big pond tomorrow for Kings.  Reports of large kings being taken off shore Holland in 150 feet of water.

I fish out of Sheboygan, WI. They’re going nuts around 85 to 110 feet here. Best fishing I’ve seen in years. 

I just got back into the dock. The Bluefin did not want to play but the boat caught a hundred and thirty good quality California yellowtail Hamachi.

My limit of five fish weighed 28, 22, 19, 17, and 14 lb. Good trip. 

I had mine filleted on the boat on the way back in but I'm posting a pic of some of the whole fish that were brought back. 

20200703_064105.jpg

9 hours ago, Dorado said:

I just got back into the dock. The Bluefin did not want to play but the boat caught a hundred and thirty good quality California yellowtail Hamachi.

My limit of five fish weighed 28, 22, 19, 17, and 14 lb. Good trip. 

I had mine filleted on the boat on the way back in but I'm posting a pic of some of the whole fish that were brought back. 

To my taste Hamachi is better than normal Bluefin Tuna sushi, and actually tastes a bit like the buttery Tuna belly, (o Toro) sushi, at a much lower price.  

I hope you eat at least some of it raw.

3 hours ago, Dorado said:

Meanwhile, 500 Miles later. Nigiri bricks. 

Ed, we will eat 90% of this raw. Wife wants to let her foodie freak flag fly with some of it.

I drooled a little when I saw that photo.

10 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I hope you eat at least some of it raw.

We ate the belly from this one when it was barely dead then grilled the filets a couple of hours later. Sailing close to downwind so the grill was moved to the bow rail. An awesome feast but the best part was the tuna salad for lunch the next day.

tunacar.jpg

• Like 2
On 7/3/2020 at 9:33 AM, MR.CLEAN said:

what boat?  catch any of your namesake?

Fresh dorado and tuna are quite possibly the most delicious fish out there. I don’t like fish, but those two are fantastic. 
edit: I know you already know that. 

5 hours ago, Dorado said:

Ed

We fixed you a plate of Hamachi and toasted your good health with some fine sake  :)

Wow, that looks wonderful!  I can just taste that Hamachi.  Thanks for sharing some with me.  I'm not complaining, they tasted great, but those nigiri could use a little work.  ;)

Is that some kind of roe on the maki?

We don't get very good sushi here, no surprise.  It's all salmon, tuna, and vegetables and that's about it. Sometimes it isn't so fresh.  When I lived in Japan I are sushi/sashimi at least once a week or more.  I miss it.

Tobiko. Flying fish roe.

By the way, the best way to catch a jumbo 200-300lb Bluefin is to troll a frozen flying fish suspended from a kite. Skipping on the surface at 6-7 knots. Google it.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Tobiko. Flying fish roe.

By the way, the best way to catch a jumbo 200-300lb Bluefin is to troll a frozen flying fish suspended from a kite. Skipping on the surface at 6-7 knots. Google it.

I've eaten several kinds of roe while I lived in Japan but I don't know that I've had it from flying fish.  

Kazunoko is dried herring roe, they call it 'yellow diamonds'.  The eggs are very small and it's quite crunchy.  

Sushi Kazunoko by Ryouchin

And then there is the clock I bought in Japan.

From 12 o'clock:  Salmon roe (ikura), Tuna (maguro), Salmon (sake), cooked Shrimp (ebi), Egg omelet (tamagoyaki), Octopus (tako) , Sea Urchin roe (uni), Fresh Water Shrimp (anaebi) , Eel (anago), Tuna Belly (o Toro), Ark Shell (akagai), and the last one I can't remember. 

Sushi Clock 1.jpg

41 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Kohada (gizzard shad)

46 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Kite fish from yesterday. 340lbs

340.jpg

Kite fishing seems to work!

Did you catch it?

My neighbor caught a nice 22" redfish in the creek last night.

This evening my wife and I went out and she caught one about 20" or so. I'll be glad when we can keep them again.

Went up to the dam and trolling home she hooked a tarpon. It jumped twice as I was fumbling for my phone but I caught the third jump, the one where it threw the lure. I'm pretty sure that's her lure under the fish but hard to tell because it's just an iPhone pic.

SonTarpJul2020.jpg

• Like 3

Neighbor caught another nice redfish last night.

The other thing we've all been catching is baby bull sharks. The ones we've caught have been about 2' long, which is how big they are when born. This can only mean that BIG MOMMA bull shark was up this creek in the recent past. They have a reputation for being aggressive but really they're like toddlers. They explore their world by tasting it. Bite first, ask questions later. And they don't bite gently. A mature female is a big animal and you're going to the hospital if she tastes you to see if you're food.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Dorado said:

Well, first things first. 

20200718_115002.jpg

Fer starters you're gonna need some tuna jerky to suck on in the deerstand this winter when you need a taste of summer...:P

finally got back onto the big pond.  took 4 Kings from 8 - 24 Lbs, a steelhead at 10 Lbs and a tiny laker that was hitch hiking on the 300 copper when we pulled lines

The big King hit a 300 copper and peeled over 300' of drag on 3 separate runs. the power of these fish just amazes me.

friday7-24allfish.jpg

friday7-24bigfish.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, F395 said:

finally got back onto the big pond.  took 4 Kings from 8 - 24 Lbs, a steelhead at 10 Lbs and a tiny laker that was hitch hiking on the 300 copper when we pulled lines

The big King hit a 300 copper and peeled over 300' of drag on 3 separate runs. the power of these fish just amazes me.

Nice day of fishing!

When they start pulling the drag and there's nothing to do but hang on and watch line disappear, that gets the adrenaline pumping.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Nice day of fishing!

When they start pulling the drag and there's nothing to do but hang on and watch line disappear, that gets the adrenaline pumping.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz is the second best sound in the world.

Right behind OH GOD, OH GOD  !!!

I'm back in San Diego. Going out tonight.

• Like 2

We went out to the Cortez Bank which is more than a hundred nautical miles offshore. Anchored up in 11 fathoms of water. Had a steady bite all day on good quality yellowtail. The 5 I kept totaled 92 lbs. No tuna on this trip. 

20200727_054038.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Dorado said:

We went out to the Cortez Bank which is more than a hundred nautical miles offshore. Anchored up in 11 fathoms of water. Had a steady bite all day on good quality yellowtail. The 5 I kept totaled 92 lbs. No tuna on this trip. 

I prefer the smooth, buttery yellowtail meat to ordinary bluefin tuna.  Now bluefin tuna belly is another story, but in my experience hamachi comes closer to o toro than ordinary tuna does.

Of course if you catch yerself some bluefins, then you have some of that precious, nicely marbled belly.  But then you have a lot of plain old maguro too.  You get a nice bunch of yellowtail like you did and you have a lot of nice hamachi.

Now I'm hungry for some sushi or sashimi, dammit.  Especially hamachi.

It seems that the snapper in my pond still remembers what a spear is. Vanished as soon as I got in the water. I took a couple of laps around the pond looking but no luck. The big bass followed me the whole time and once struck at the end of my spear.

• 2 weeks later...

Before I left for work my oldest and I left at BFE in the morning to fish the nuclear power plant area north of us in the ICW.  Saw TONS of fish hitting baitfish all around us.  Had a live bait on one pole, and we were tossing all kinds of lures all around.  Not one strike on anything.  By 9am we called it a morning and back to the ramp we went.  That kind of fishing will be better in the cooler months.

Jr. brought me back a few bags of wahoo and some king mackerel to smoke from a hot as balls Gulf trip on the big boat this weekend...I splashed the newly restored 17' Aquasport and ran our crab traps...

Message_1596326078296.jpg

IMG-4266d2ecf603fe1cd80b8578936ebd09-V.jpg

• Like 2

Bluefin Harpoon season 2020 was pretty good for us. Covid fucked the prices and we were limited to 4 fish a day, but we still ran the sector out of quota in early August. We had our 4 nearly every day we could go out.

There's no shortage of fish out there. Anglers were cleaning up with mackerel near the Regal Sword yesterday and one boat hooked a 108" bluefin inside Cape Cod bay as well.

Now we're trying to get the big longliner set up for harpooning as a general category boat and limited haddocking. We'll see how that turns out. The dogs and skates are thick as shit out here this time of year and there's very few guys long-lining for anything else because of that.

The big bastard of a fish shown below was 119 inches and 1050 lbs. Myself included for scale.

cbnah8T.jpg

I7sygN8.jpg

IMG_20180719_153458777.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, dolphinmaster said:

Damn sturdy looking monster attack fish.  Are they native there?

Invasive, in fact there is a catch and kill regulation in place. If we were better prepared it would have been fish tacos. But we had so much food on the trip it wasn't necessary to eat it. The fish was "released" after a good smack with a horseshoe.

• 3 weeks later...

A few weeks ago we found a little inlet in the mouth of the Myakka River that had some snapper. Since we're not allowed to keep trout, redfish, or snook until next year due to the red tide moratorium, snappers are high on my target list. We kept 4 that day. My wife also caught a couple of little redfish.

Took our grandson back there a couple weeks ago. There was nothing biting in that spot at all. It was an outgoing tide and our first visit was on an incoming tide.

So yesterday we got to try the spot again on another incoming tide. We both caught some wily snook.

2020-09-16wilysnook.jpg

Too small to keep even without the moratorium but they were nice looking healthy fish. We did get a few snappers but none of keeping size. I caught a tiny sheepshead.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Cacoethesic Tom said:

Got out yesterday and found a spot with a few snappers. I caught one keeper and fed a bunch of others.

I also caught this:

OysterRod.jpg

The area is currently closed to shellfish harvesting so I put it back.

Here or WOTUS, do ya think it will ever reopen?

It will probably be several years before we see the results of the sewer projects.  And hopefully the phosphate miners don't leak.

No water on the beach, low tide and east wind, will try for pompano later.

21 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Here or WOTUS, do ya think it will ever reopen?

It will probably be several years before we see the results of the sewer projects.  And hopefully the phosphate miners don't leak.

No water on the beach, low tide and east wind, will try for pompano later.

If you mean for shellfish, the closures I saw on the FWC site were for excessive rainfall.

I was pretty impressed with the size and health of the shellfish growing on that rod and reel. It did not appear to have been in the water all that long.

My new trailer bunk mounts slipped and I noticed it at the top of the Laishley ramp so we fished our way home and then returned to town to fetch the trailer so I could put the mounts back where they belonged. Shell Creek doesn't have many fish at all these days. We don't even see gars and mullet. I did catch one yuge catfish (where was it when Fishin' Frank's tournament was going on?) but we've only caught a couple of redfish in the last few months.

• 3 weeks later...

Took the 'toon boat up to Nav-A-Gator for lunch yesterday and my wife caught a redfish while trolling toward home.

Orangefish2020.jpg

Well, actually more of an orangefish. And it looks like it's screaming in rage.

We were in DeSoto County waters, where keeping reds (or oranges) is legal, but this one is a bit under the size slot and we're not sure about the legality of having it aboard in our county waters on the way home, so back it went.

I spent yesterday at my favorite alpine lake, most likely last one this season, things are icing up. Got to wonder how many more times my body can make that climb. 

Only caught 2 and broke one off but it's worth the effort. Just to be up there and not see any asshole human is joyful. In fact I only saw a few camped off the road, none for the last few miles before the trailhead. 

RIMG0391-X2.jpg

RIMG0400-X2.jpg

Lunch time

RIMG0402-X2.jpg

RIMG0397-X2.jpg